Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Beginner Tuning/Modding

newdrivernewdriver Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
Hi i'm a new driver and recently got my first car, an '05 accord. Im interested in tuning and modifying my car but i don't know anything about it at all. so i was wondering where would be the best place for a new guy like me to start. thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well there's a lot to learn!

I'd probably start off with buying myself a bunch of good magazines and reading through them:

Here's a good source list:

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/mags.html
  • newdrivernewdriver Member Posts: 3
    thanks, i will be subscribing to honda tuning for sure. Any good onlice place that i should check out as well? :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Why don't you google the names of the magazines you like and see if they have a LINKS section on their website?
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I personally like Sport Compact Car a lot. They're the nerds of the car mag industry... some math, no girls (besides the ads), and lots of ordinary cars made to go fast.

As for your car, you have to decide what aspect of it you feel needs improvement.

And best bang for the buck is usually a larger rear anti-sway bar. Less understeer and more throttle control for $300 at most. Any other modification for that price will make a small difference in power or grip.
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    I agree, you should read as much as you can. Watch the Speed Channel and on Sunday morning on FX (i think) they have a bunch of shows called the POWER BLOCK. They tune muscle cars new and old, trucks etc, and even though the cars they modify aren't Honda's you can get a good idea of how everything works and how it all flows together. I personally dont work on Honda's, I own a High-End Luxury Tuner shop but we mostly do Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc. However, the ideas are the same.
    If you are going to be the one installing the modifications I would definitely buy a technical manual on your specific car. Most times these books will have specific instructions about how to do engine maintenance work, sometimes they'll have wiring specs, etc. You should really understand the stock car before you begin adding extras.
    You should try to get as much info as possible about your car and about the products you're interested in. When you consider tuning products look at all the available options for each modification. Sometimes you might have to pay more for something but look at it like if you pay a little more now then you might be saving yourself a lot of work/money down the road. You should keep doing what you're doing trying to interact with people who are already established in the tuning world, try to get as much info about your car and learn about the affects of tuning modifications (the performance gains and negative longterm affects it has on your engine/car), get all the info you can to make sure you select the right modifications at the right time. Most times you need to buy tuning mods in stages to protect your engine and ensure each part will work properly.
    Also there are a lot of products you can buy that dont make the car faster but they will make the car drive better. Modifications like coilovers or suspensions, short shifters, brake kits, exhaust, etc. Please dont be like most of these kids with Honda's, taking a stock engine and putting NOS on it and blowing it up after the first week. Dont live up to the stereotype. Good luck with your car and be sure to update the forum on how it is coming along. Again, good luck. Joshua.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Good stuff about Brakes, Suspension, etc. If you put more power, you need to steer and stop it all.... Also lightening a car is equivelent to adding power, I remember reading that for every X lbs you gain the equivalent of Y hp .

-mike
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Actually its on spike not FX.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    if you are really interested in tuning, you may want to consider a different model of honda, the accord is big and heavy, and even though there are a lot of parts for the k series that sits in it, their potential would probably best be suited in a different chassis.

Go to temple of vtec. You can find out tons there.
  • rubblerubble Member Posts: 12
    Will 18" 225/50 series wheels and tires fit comfortably on 2007 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 auto trans?
    Depends what the offset of the wheels are and what the stock wheel size is.

If the offset is the same as stock, then you can compare the tire size using http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This will show you how much wider and/or higher the new tires/rims will be, given the same offset.

-mike
  • drgadedipedrgadedipe Member Posts: 8
    the engine is a Chevrolet V8. if ne1 knows any modification i could to the engine a list would be nice. i will be very thankfull.
  • eurofire03eurofire03 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 Toyota Celica and have been working on it for a while now. I need a good speed shop in the Bay Area that can help me get the most performance out of my Celica. If Anyone knows of ANY good shops around please let me know A.S.A.P.

Thanks In Advance,
    ~Bogdan
    Anything in particular you are trying to do, perhaps we can give you some better direction and/or send you to the correct "speed" shop.

-mike
  • eurofire03eurofire03 Member Posts: 5
    I Have the 97 Toyota Celica and I am looking for a complete exhaust system for it. I know there arent any out there so could you point me to a good speed shop that I can talk to about manufacturing it or making the parts match. Please let me know A.S.A.P.

Thank you,
    ~Bogdan
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought Grand Nationals were all turbo charged V-6s???
    That's what I thought as well. However it might be a buick regal with a V8 and GN badges on it?

-mike
  • benzonebenzone Member Posts: 1
    Hello...

I have a 1992 Mercedenz-Benz 300E 4Matic with the inline straight 6motor and I would like to add more horsepower to it.

I want a whole new exhaust system with new manifold, headers, cadillac converter & muffler.

I want the cold air induction system with all the new hoses and tubing.

And I want the chip for it as well.

So could you please give me some pointers on what i need to do? And the names ad numbers of who I need to contact for all the parts to get?

Thank You So Very Much in Advance...
This discussion has been closed.