Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    i don't think that its so much hard to find as it is they are an...'interesting' size. 205/50 R17 i think. most 17's pack AT LEAST 215's (like the si) and a lot have 225's (like newer vee dubs.) "

You can also use 215's with no issue. I will be ordering that size at the end of the summer because I want the Falken Ziex 512 and they don't sell 205's
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sandman, any problems with your Mazda at all?

The last thing I remember sandman saying about the Mazda3 was that it wasn't aging that well. It had squeaks/rattles and just seemed older than it was, in general.

Sandman will step-in and fill us in, I'm sure, but I didn't know when he'd be back!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    There are some rattles that the dealer just can't locate which is a bit irritating. They had to re-swap out the rear pads and now that bad brake dust is back, worse than before. The car just feels old before its time and the wife doesn't really push it that much. She even said this will be our last Mazda. We just hit 30k on Tuesday and if we wouldn't take such a big hit on the trade and what's left of our prepaid maintainance(?), the car would be gone.
    Maybe it's just our particular car, it's just not aging well. But since we owe nothing on it, we'll just keep it until something really major goes wrong. This is by no means a slam on Mazda products...it's just that our experience has not been as good as we had hoped.
    Buy what you really like, that's the bottom line. I really think most folks do love their Mazda 3's. Just wanted to give another point of view to keep in mind. But honestly, any car can have many little problems that just ruin the owner experience.
    Good luck with whatever you choose and please let us know. I'd be very curious on what you end up with.

The Sandman :(
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    my wife and my mother in law both had these same exact problems with their mazdas.
    There are some rattles that the dealer just can't locate which is a bit irritating. They had to re-swap out the rear pads and now that bad brake dust is back, worse than before. The car just feels old before its time and the wife doesn't really push it that much. She even said this will be our last Mazda. We just hit 30k on Tuesday and if we wouldn't take such a big hit on the trade and what's left of our prepaid maintainance(?), the car would be gone. "

Why do you think you'd take a hit on the trade? The resale value is very strong. As an example, my 2006 3s Touring (stick) with 28K miles has a Kbb trade in value of $13,235 for good and $14,175 for Excellent (mine is probably in between). Edmunds is a little lower. I paid $16,700 in October of 05. I think that's very good

I understand the prepaid maintenance being an issue, though
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    Considering both the Civic EX manual coupe and the Mazda 3s GT hatch manual. I drive about 25,000 miles/year and I am looking for a fun car that is economical. I expect to own the one I buy about 5 years. Here's my feedback after test driving both on several occassions.

Civic EX coupe manual

-handling is fun
    -acceleration is good
    -reliability is likely better than M3
    -resale will probably be better
    -interior is nice for the money except seats look cheap but comfortable
    -better tires based on forum discussion
    -better trunk configuration (can easily drop to golf bags in)

Mazda3s GT manual

-handling is more fun
    -did not feel a big difference in acceleration
    -interior is much nicer than civic (leather, Bose, etc)
    -did not find the pedals too close although they are close enough that I know what everyone is talking about
    -exterior is better looking
    -stability and traction control is a big plus (NH resident)
    -two sets of clubs requires the back seat in down position

Other things I am wondering about:
    interior noise in the M3 hatch vs sedan
    do not like reading some of the things in the Mazda discussion like tranny problems, lousy tires, etc. Maybe someone can put me at ease.

I would appreciate any feedback since I am very close to puchasing. Thx.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I really don't think you can go wrong with either car and you highlighted most of the biggest differences already. Here are my two cents...

The biggest upside for the Honda is that it's a Honda, so you have a bit of an edge with reliability. Gas mileage is also going to be a bit better in the Civic.

The upside for the Mazda3 is the features that come with the GT. There are definitely more toys (especially for the money compared to the Civic EX) on the GT like the leather and Bose that you stated, but also the auto xenon headlights, foglights, rain-sensing wipers, auto climate control, and sportier 17" wheels (just my opinion, though). The only complaint we have is that the A/C isn't all that strong, which is more noticeable since we're in FL. I would imagine that downside weighs very little on your decision since you're not battling 90 degree weather on a regular basis in NH.

I know how hard this decision is because there isn't a clear-cut winner. My wife has an '06 Mazda3 GT automatic with the sunroof/bose package and I have an Accord, so I'm a fan of both Honda and Mazda. We looked at the same two cars for my wife that you're looking at, and we made the choice for the Mazda3 based on the reasons I mentioned. The reliability has been excellent so far after 20K miles (knock on wood). We also had a friend who hooked us up with the employee pricing so the deal we got on it made a difference; although, I think we could have received the same deal without the employee plan.

As you may have already assumed, my vote is slightly in favor of the Mazda3, but either car would have made us happy.
    Thanks for the input. My emotional side wants the Mazda3 but I don't want buyer's remorse when I experience the first major problem. Currently an owner of an Accord and CRV, it's like change the oil and forget about it. Also a previous owner of Saabs, I don't want to be at the dealer every couple of months dealing with the small stuff. Based on your first 20K, would you say that it has gone as smoothly as your Honda ownership?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My emotional side wants the Mazda3 but I don't want buyer's remorse when I experience the first major problem

So far, there really has not been any major problems with the Mazda3, small stuff, sure, like every vehicle. Even the new Civic has had a bunch of little issues. Just look at the 2006-present Civic problem board...

As for resale, I seem to laugh every time I see that mentioned. It is very hard to sell one privately!! Even if you own the vehicle out right. If you have a lien on it, forget it! Who is going to pay you thousands for a car if you don't even own it! If you own it long enough to buy it out right, and sell it when you have 70-80K on the clock, you are talking maybe a dollar difference in the 100's. Not thousands. So, would the extra hundreds in savings over 5,6,7 years of ownership be enough to sway your decision? Maybe. Maybe not. That;s for you to decide. Every publication recommends the Mazda3, as well as the Civic. You will be fine, reliability wise, with either.

From a dealer's prospective, both are worth about the same from 2004-present, if you were to trade. One cannot go by KBB or Edmunds. No dealer in my neck of the woods (North East) uses them.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Go with the Civic!

The Sandman :):)
    Is your experience with the Mazda that bad. Mazda seems like more car for the money. I noticed that your 3 has had rattles but the 07s are more rigid this year. This likely gives the car a quieter ride. Multiple reviews praise the 3. Are they wrong? Why?
    Thanks for the input. My emotional side wants the Mazda3 but I don't want buyer's remorse when I experience the first major problem. Currently an owner of an Accord and CRV, it's like change the oil and forget about it. Also a previous owner of Saabs, I don't want to be at the dealer every couple of months dealing with the small stuff. Based on your first 20K, would you say that it has gone as smoothly as your Honda ownership? "

Not sure why you are under the impression tha tthere will be a major problem. Most issues have been ironed out. Teh A/C is not the strongest, but it gets the job done for me and it can get very hot here in NJ.

The reason I have Mazda 3 is that my Saab 9-3 was brought in roughly a dozen times in 2 1/2 years, the final straw being a completely blown auto tranny at 37K miles. Thank God it was warrantied until 50, but I had to sell before I was out of warranty. I bought the Mazda and have had zero issues besides oil changes with it in 30K miles (aside from getting rear ended). My tires have held up, too and only now are looking at replacement

One other thing I noticed in your comparison. If fitting golf bags with the seat up is an issue, why wouldn't you consider the sedan for both?
    you've owned hondas in the past,ecofun, and i think that that feeling of 'change the oil and forget it' will def carry over into your civic. (remember, just like the 3, most of the problems have been ironed out too and the civic JUST came out, whereas the 3 has been around longer.)

one thing that dairyshick seemed to play down a bit in his post; your mileage will not be 'a bit better' in the civic. its going to be amazingly better, especially if the mazda you are comparing it to is the 2.3.
    Good input all. So good that I went with the M3. Made my deal last night and signed the paperwork today. Good news for those in the market...financing dropped to 0.0% for 3 yrs effective today. That's right, free money. Bought the car at invoice:

Invoice $20,609 (inc/regional adjustment for the Boston district-advertising, etc.)

Only option was moonroof/Bose.
    Documentation fees were $169.

Out the door for $20,778.

I don't know if there was money left on the table but thought it was a good price. The regional adj was $249 (probably goes back to the dealer.

Nevertheless, it was the only S GT manual in galaxy gray within 100 miles and didn't want to lose it for a few extra bucks. There is restricted allocation of manuals as many of you may know and sticks are much harder to come across. I went with the Hatch out of personal preference. You are right- the clubs do go into the sedan trunk without getting into the back seat but I'm sure there will be a day when the hatch comes in handy. I found the appearance unique and fewer on the road, perception anyway. Will pick up the car by the weekend and will report back on first impression. Feel pretty good about the decision anyway.

Regarding mileage, that was one of the trade offs compared to the civic coupe. Assuming 5 mpg difference based on EPA ratings, 25,000 miles/year, it's about $400 in gas cost annually. I figured that $7.69 a week was worth the extra "entertainment value" that the Mazda3 offered over the Civic. Heck, a movie is $9.00 now!

By the way, I mentioned the reliability issue I had in my decision to the sales mgr and he showed me a new survey put out by Cars Direct just today indicating that Mazda nosed out Honda in fewest mechanical problems among 3-9 year old vehicles. I was a little surprised but pleased to hear. Hope the data is credible.
    this is what the dealer showed me...didn't remember the exact source I guess. thx.
    No problem, it was posted for a while on Mazda's website as well
    congrats on your purchase man and enjoy! :)
  • cchicagocchicago Member Posts: 8
    Congratulations on your purchase. I have the exact same car in Black Mica. Although the Civic is a very nice car I didn't even consider purchasing a car without stability control. Since I keep my cars for a long time I didn't want to be without that important safety feature for the next decade.

So far I haven't had any issues with the A/C. We've had a few 90+ days so far in Chicago and even if the car has been sitting in the sun it cools off in 10min or so.
    Just for kicks, I decided to run out at lunch and do one last test drive before picking mine up. With all the A/C debate, it's 98 degrees in Boston today so I figured no better day to test out the A/C. The car had been sitting in the sun all day and it was like an oven inside when the salesman opened the door. We took off a minute later and I was thrilled to see how quickly the car cooled down...pretty comfortable within 5 minutes. We blasted the A/C and no substantial loss in power either.
    thats good man. its seems that the a/c bug is FINALLY out. enjoy the car! :)
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    I got the same in Sunlight Silver with the Moonroof/Bose option. As well as rear bumper step plates, a larger air dam, wheel locks, door edge guards, cargo mat, all-weather floor mats, window tints, compass/auto-dimming mirror and 3 free oil changes. $22500 including the destination charge.

I know I didn't get a huge discount for this one because the dealer I went to wasn't the best dealer you want to buy a car if you want deep discounts. But, they were the only one who had a manual tranny at that time with the color that I want. Wayne Mazda had one but in red and black. I'm only looking for either the Sunlight Silver or the Aurora Blue Mica.

I'm glad you chose the 3, you really won't regret your decision. I was worried about the A/C too when I bought my car, and I couldn't test it because I bought it in Feb this year, in the middle of winter. But we've been experiencicng in past 3 days, temperatures in the mid-90's with humidity in the NY Metro Area, and the A/C is superb! Used the A/C at fan speed level 3 (GT models have 7 fan speed levels) in the coldest setting. My eyeglasses will frost as soon as I get out of the car. That's how cold the A/C was! They've surely fixed the issue on past models.

Fuel economy is fine. I'm getting 24 city/32 hwy (23 or less if driving mostly in NYC traffic) and it's not that far with my sister's 2006 Civic EX which she gets 25 city/34 hwy (24 or less if driving mostly in NYC traffic). Really close to 2008 EPA estimates.

By the way, I just had an oil change with synthetic oil Friday morning. Performance is a lot better. Also putting in Premium Grade (93 octane) gas most of the time now. I've put in 87 for a while and noticed a different sound on the engine. Love the sound better in higher octane gas.

So far, I'm really enjoying and loving the car. It's been performing well above my expectations for a premium econo-box.
    All good news. Glad to hear the mileage numbers In all the 3 vs civic mileage figures, people are getting, I have to believe the Mazda3 driver push a car harder than the civic driver does, so a lot of the numbers may not be apples to apples. Just a thought.

By the way I'm picking my car up in 2 hours and thinking of adding the rear bumper step plates. Do you find them to be more fashion than function or do you think they really do protect the bumper?
    If you're putting in a lot of things in your trunk, yes. Plus, it adds a little bit on the looks. It won't make the back of the 5dr look like being pushed down or stretched from the sides.
    First Impression:

In a word...SMOOTH.
    This car just purrs. I can't believe how quiet the ride is in this 4-cyl. Throwing gears is like going through butter. The one thing I was surprised about when I was test driving the civic coupe ex was that the stick was a little notchy, tougher to find gears than some of the Accord sticks that I experienced. After 200 miles on the new GT 5 door, finding gears is effortless. If I have a "complaint", in the past I've always listened to the engine to get my cue when to shift. This engine is so quiet (although I'm wondering if I've been playing the Bose too loud), that I'm watching the tach more than ever (but I'm really not complaining). This car seems like a perfect blend of fun and economy which is exactly what I was hoping for.

My only concern right now is dealing with the NH winter driving. From all accounts, it's sounds like I don't want to be on these Goodyear Eagles when the snow starts flying. In time, I will probably switch to a high performance all season tire. But I won't be ready by Dec when I'll probably have 10-12K miles on the car. I'd rather not sink $500 into a set of winter tires plus the cost of another set of wheels, not the mention the pain of changing tires twice a year. What I may try to do is rough it for this winter and have new all seasons for next.

Among you snowbelt drivers, any thought which way to go?
    don't get too optimistic; i used to floor it in my civic.(and still average over 30 mpg.)

to mr zzoom: are you just posting your sisters epa sticker numbers? becasue the civic gets 36 mpg; the mazda 3 2.3 barely manages 29 on the highway; you must be driving VERY conserviately to get those numbers; thus negating any need to put in premium gas for its 'performance' benefits. :blush:
    For what it's worth, these numbers are from CR's April 2007 issue:

Overall MPG
    Civic ex sedan manual 31
    Mazda3 5-door hatchback manual 28
    You beat me too it! I was just going to mention that.
    I'm posting a real-world experience for me and my sister. I was on a trip from Montreal to NYC through the highways of the Adirondacks and the Catskills with speeds from 70 to sometimes 85mph, and believe it or not, my trip computer hit 33.4mpg. Plus the weather is really springlike and most of the time, I was using the cruise control.

Keep in mind that the numbers I posted has a bit more percentage for both... Meaning if it's the city, more percentage driving in the city than the highway, I'm getting around 24, 23 if mostly in NYC traffic. If it's mostly highway, I'm getting around 32. You apply the same measurements with my post regarding my sister's Civic EX.

The numbers I should have posted also are the MPG of a mix (let's say 40/60, 50/50, or 60/40 percetages) city/highway driving...

My sister's Civic EX - 30.8 mpg
    My 3 GT 5dr - 29.9 mpg

All in all, it really depends on how each and every one of us drives. :)

One more thing, when I was driving from Toronto to Montreal, I've only achieved 29.7mph as I was following this Mazda6 running at around 80 to 110mph. I was following that car for about 45 mins and my MPG went down 3mpg. Oh boy, this 3 GT 5dr just hits 110mph easily!!!
    It is really SMOOTH... :shades:

I was worried about the engine noise when I was buying this car too. My corolla was quiet and the RPM is at 3000 on 80mph. The 3 that I bought is purring at 3000RPMs on 65mph. But, it is really smooth and you'll notice how they've insulated the cabin from the engine noise, even when hitting 4500RPMs. 3000RPM's on my previous Corolla and the 3 are world's apart.

The stick is superb! My friends from all over the Northeast when I've met them the past few months, LOVED this new baby of mine. The stick is just smooth and easy. You won't find it hard to shift the car. And you'll really have that shifting "problem" when you're listening to the BOSE we've got on our cars. I was running at 4th gear merging to the NJ Turnpike and continued to do so at around 70-72mph. I forgot to change gears as I used to have an automatic and I never really heard the engine that much to give the cue to change.

Winter driving is bad at first. But once you get used to driving a stick in 10 inches of snow on the ground, the Goodyear Eagles are fine. I'm planning on changing the tires next winter season as I would probably have more than 20,000 miles on it. And from reviews I've read on tirerack.com, these Eagles are not good after a few wear and tear. From reviews on tirerack too, the best options for our GT's with the same dimensions are the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, Pilot Sport A/S, and the Avon Tech M550 A/S.
    I'll trust you on the ease of reaching 110. Those days are over for me!
    Oh boy, this 3 GT 5dr just hits 110mph easily!!!

Try driving a Mazdaspeed3, see how you get to 110 in the blink of an eye..
    my comment still stands.

as does my average of 38 mpg in my old civic!
    I seldom do that anyway. I was just trying to see how this car would perform under those conditions. It was a straight highway anyway from Toronto to Montreal. Not many hills or drastic turns, etc, etc. And it was a part of the 401 that don't have many vehicles at the time. Plus it's at 2am. :)
    I know. I'm pretty stuck with this car for the next 2 years. I'll probably get one when they'll launch the speed version of the next 3. Or maybe the next 6, due to be launched this fall.
    I don't doubt you a bit. I'm just getting information from my sister's car usage. Remember, it's my sister's car and I only give suggestions on how to make it run better. But it's still up to her if she wants to do it. ;)

Bottomline, like I've already said, it varies from driver to driver. My Mazda is performing better than I expected and loving every minute I'm driving it. I wish I had bought the Speed3 though. :(
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    A co-worker has an '06 Civic and it only gets the 36 MPG on the opne road with no traffic. I have another co-woker with an '01 Civic and his MPG stays up there even if there is some traffic but the '06 has much more power.

I test drove the new Civic and I thought that the car felt like a late '90s Accord rather than an econmoy car like the old Civic. What kept me from buying it was that I use the hood to judge where the front or side of the car is and in the new Civic you can't see the hood at all from the driver's seat.
    A co-worker has an '06 Civic and it only gets the 36 MPG on the opne road with no traffic

only gets 36? thats fantastic, given its rated at 36.
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    I have a 07 civic si and my girl friend has a civic ex. I've test driven the mazdaspeed 3 which sadly only comes in that dreadfully ugly hatchback in my opinion. definitely dont buy a mazdaspeed 3, its got nice power but really isnt nearly as fun to drive. i think it has a poor interior, horrible gear box, just has a overall feel that its going to crap out on you in a couple years. the mazda 3 sedan is a much better car and certainly has more power than a normal civic, but civic is much more reliable and will last you longer im sure. my girlfriend has put over 75,000 miles on her civic in less than 3 years and never has had a single problem except chipped windshield. they are extremely well made and can take a beatin and keep on goin forever. If you got the money, get a Si :) i absolutely love my Si, ive test driven every car in its class and the Si is the most fun to drive and will last you the longest. it doesnt even have a turbo and pumps out as much power as say a Gti which is a 2.0 turbo. anyway im just blabbing now, get a civic or civic Si :)
    it doesnt even have a turbo and pumps out as much power as say a Gti which is a 2.0 turbo. anyway im just blabbing now, get a civic or civic Si

Actually, it is lacking severely in torque compared with the GTI turbo.

I'd still pick the Civic, but it's not the more-powerful car. :)
    oh i know, im just sayin as much horsepower anyway and if you were to put a turbo in the Si, you would be way over the Gti. But still, even tho the Si has alot less torque, its still up in the air who would win a 1/4 mile run. The Si and Gti both run a 15.0, its really just whos better with a clutch that will win the race.
    now you put the Si on a windy road and i know for sure who will win :D
    DEFINITELY! :)
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Motor Trend June 2007:
    "Compared to the Civic si the Mazdaspeed3 cranks everything one noticeable notch"
    :mad:
    Honda fans need to take deep breathe here is the rest compared to the 3:
    Better ergonomics,more body roll, less powerful brakes with nonlinear response,less peak power,lazy steering response,more understeer than the 3!

How do you claim the above? :blush:
    ha! good one pal. the gti runs in mid to high 14's.

the si's motor is wonderful. but its attributes are also its weaknesses. you don't have to keep a gti's engine on boling point to get power out of it. in fact most 0-60 runs in a gti are quiker than an si, almost a second in fact. (last gti was car and driver tested and it ran in 6.2 seconds.)

you can turbo an si, but how much will that cost? (not to mention preparing the car for the turbo.) 500 bucks gets you a gti with 50lbs of torque more and about 30-40 more hp.

the twisties? yeah, stock, si rules. But that gti is still in your rearview mirror.... :P
    well im not going to argue.. but ive seen stock Si's 0-60 at 6.3. anyway, loaded Gti is around 27-29k i believe? Si around 21? im only guessing you could put a turbo for in for less than 6-8k along with the components you need to ready it. Anyway, Si wasnt made to slug it out in a straight line. you certainly can make it do that though. Also with a simple fix of the epu, you can change where the vtec is engaged, so that each shift, your right on the money.
    anyway, all i was really saying is that the Si competes with it. and that i would rather have the Si over the Gti.
    yes ive read all about the mazdaspeed 3, i know what its capable of and have driven it a couple times. Just go look at that thing they call a "car". try driving it. if they put the mazdaspeed 3 engine in the sedan rather than that twinkie lookin hatchback, now damn that would be somethin... people would actually buy it. remember im statin my opinion so dont get all mad :) people seem to take things personal on here.
    you can make modifications to the ecu, but the epu is not going to to anything! :P

most people interested in racing wont opt for a fully loaded gti; i can get a four door for about 24k, and there is no way you are getting a 2k turbo that will last outside of 1500miles. even if you do get a decked out gti; after the expense of turboing a civic; you are still just tacking on 500 bucks to the gti's 27k pricetag; and your still saving one thing: TIME.

the ecu upgrade wont really 'change' your vtec engagement point either, especially since i vtec is always 'engaged' and just swithces between economy and performance cams. this isn't b series v tec. and modding this wont really change your ability to shift on the money; you'd have to upgrade your own brains ecu to do that! ;)

don't worry man, im not hating on you, i like the si and you should enjoy your car, i just prefer the gti for different reasons.
    but ive seen stock Si's 0-60 at 6.3

you've seen? or driven? they must of been working that transmission, again why the gti has the advantage, you can bully the engine, but don't have to to get a time like this.
    yea ive read about the vtec always being engaged, damnit im trying to find the site i was reading though. they sell the ecu reflash for the 06-07 and showed they changed the redline to 8600 and the vtec engaged at 4500, so i was a little confused. there is no doubt though, everytime you floor it, right when it hits 6k there is a definite change in power and sound.