Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

1202122232426»

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, now you're piling on.

Let's end the personal comments from both sides here.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    some keyboards just can't keep up with me. what can i say? :P

either that or lack of running a spell check. no biggie regardless.
  • aiwa112aiwa112 Member Posts: 7
    Im stuck between the Honda Civic LX and Mazda 3 iTouring both are great cars and a little spaced out in reliability. I would like to know how much has everyone paid for maintence and repairs on the Civic and Mazda3, preferably 2003 models but all welcome.
    P.S. dont include oil changes and normal maintence. Thanks
  • silvermzda3silvermzda3 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2007 Mazda 3 S 5 dr. I've had it for 13 months and 21k miles and have had NO additional expenses, no need for repairs, no problems. just change oil, filters, rotate tires and wash it. Very pleasing experience.
  • chickenlipschickenlips Member Posts: 16
    I love Hondas and have owned several. But the lack of stability control in the non-Si Civic made the Mazda3 the obvious winner to me. I just bought a 2008 sTouring.

Honda - will all your advertising on safety, why no ESC??? You lost a sale.
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Member Posts: 31
    ditto at 28k (hard LI-NYC commute driving)...and I'm avg a surprising 26mpg. Overall quite pleased. I miss my old SUV for the size, but for mileage, pep while merging and passing, style and reliability, I'm pretty darned satisfied with my M3s.
    Fair point but I'm not sure I agree. Many, many Mazda Protege's on the road with 100's of thousands of miles on them. The M3 is similar and if anything an improvement so longterm reliability is not completely disregarded. Japanese cars in general (Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru) are all known for long term reliability. Unquestionably better than late model American cars where 100k miles is still considered a lofty goal.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Unquestionably better than late model American cars where 100k miles is still considered a lofty goal."

Not exactly an unbiased statement wouldn't you say?

Geez, I've owned a mixture of American, European and Japanese cars over the years, and the ONLY ONE that didn't make 100,000 miles with ease was one of the Japanese cars, a Mazda. The flip side is our two current American cars, one with over 150,000 and the other with only 99,000 miles. For those two cars, I'm betting that even a quarter of a million miles will be a piece of cake.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    I've had a number of domestic cars and one honda. All of the domestics barely made it past 100k with lots of repairs. My 96 honda is over 234k now and going strong.
    Just my own experience (and that of most of the consumer public)...I've never had an American car that didn't either a. crack a head gasket, b. leak oil from a difficult spot to reach or c. have a transmission problem before 100k miles.

It angered me to buy my 1st japanese car and it would have been done under protest if they hadn't charged LESS for the better reliability and mileage. Fortunately our gov't has sold out so badly now that more of us work for japanese companies and build those cars right here! Sorry, no libs vs dems nonsense please. I'm stuck in the middle and think they are all lying bums!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone...the Mazda3 will be undergoing a few changes for mid 2008! I don't have all the details yet, but, I will let you know when I get them!
  • marklmurraymarklmurray Member Posts: 3
    Are These the changes you're talking about?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome - thanks for the repost! :)
    Yep...I didn't get around to posting it. You must be a dealer, for that is the same sheet I have.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Brings truth to the statement that "GM cars run badly longer than most cars run at all." ;-)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I suppose, that said, I haven't had a GM car since the early 1970s so I'm probably a bad judge of what they will or won't do. In the case of our two current American cars, they're Dodge Grand Caravans, both are utterly reliable and both have six figures showing on the odometer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Nope. Not a dealer. If I was, I probably wouldn't want this information getting out and potentially endangering my end of the year sales since some folks (like me) who may have been looking to pick up a good deal on an i touring might be willing to wait 'till January for a better equipped 2.0l version (also like me).

I found this posted on some other board with no explanation of where it came from.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    See the link in my original post. I know no more than what is shown in the picture.

Mark
  • riahnnariahnna Member Posts: 8
    it's our first car ever
    we test drove the civic ex first, in hoping to buying a civic ex-l
    but all of our friends recommended the 3 over the civic
    so we went to a dealership and tried it out, it was great
    better handling than the civic, seats felt more comfortable,and better looking. so we went with it
    i'm now very very happy :shades: :shades:
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    The 3 sure does changes a lot of minds. I for one had a similar situation in that I was considering the Civic Si, the Matrix and believe it or not, the Nissan Versa. The 3 5dr hands down was the winner for me. :) :shades:
  • mystylemystyle Member Posts: 1
    I got the Phantom Purple I'm not quite sure why they call it that. The color is deep autumn purple in the shade and it is a black cherry/cherry coke color in the sun. I love, love, love the color. I have gottten so many compliments. This is the first car that I have driven that turns heads; Owners of old BMW's, Taxi cab drivers, fast food drive throughs staff. etc. I have found strangers walking around the car checking it out. I have come to the conclusion that this car is SEXY.

It gets good pick-up on the hwy. I have taken a couple of short road trips. It is too fun to drive!!! I try and think of some long distance errand so that I have to go drive far. The special features are so nice. Like the big glove box, the cool stereo. The the sun roof, 6 cd player side air bags. criuse control radio controls on the stereo.The basics are amazing too, the heat really really works as does the air conditioner. The features that are found on this car are found more often on a more expensive sedan. I can fit four people and a dog comfortably. I will say that the material seats snag easliy like a sweather or a towl that is minor compared to how well everything else is made the carpet is well made the dash materials are hot and under the hood and the trunk are amazing. Alot of attention to detail!!!! Very Nice
    It's going to be a lot longer then January until the updates are on dealer lots. Dealers will be ordering them in January. Expect to see them in April or so.
  • willytywillyty Member Posts: 1
    I find it strange that a 2.4 Mazda 3 would be tested against a Honda 1.8 and anyone would be surprised that the Mazda was faster. Never was the idea of economy mentioned so I intend to do so now. I bought my 07 Civic EX with the intention of taking advantage of the economy, headroom (I'm 6'5"), resale value, reliability and overall "fun".
    I get 41 mpg with careful freeway driving.
    I have a couple inches of excess headroom even with the moonroof.
    Civic resale is excellant.
    Civics will run until they turn to dirt at about half a million miles or more.
    I think the Civic is a blast to drive on my commute and the 1000 mile trips I occasionally take are comfortable.

I'm sure the Mazda 3 is a winner but it can't come close to the Civic in economy and cost of ownership. That's why I bought mine and was pleasantly surprised at the overall performance out of that 1.8 and the exceptional 5 spd auto. Your test was bogus.

As for American autos giving up after 100K, that simply isn't my experience either. My '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 Search and Rescue rig has 230K and has spent a lot of miles in 4X4 on sick terrain. I rebuilt the brakes and the 5 spd manual, put on 3 sets of special shocks and steering damper - that's it. The engine doesn't use but 1/2 quart of oil in 3000 miles and the heater/AC blower will soon need replacement. It cost me $12000. in '97 with 30K on it as a wreck repair. You simply can't say American cars don't last.

Bill
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I'm sure the Mazda 3 is a winner but it can't come close to the Civic in economy and cost of ownership. That's why I bought mine and was pleasantly surprised at the overall performance out of that 1.8 and the exceptional 5 spd auto. Your test was bogus. "

Bogus? They're the 2 distinct leaders of the class, simlar in size, amenities, in the exact price range.

You trade off a little power/handling for econony, and vice versa. Both are great choices.

FYI - I get 27 MPG in my 2.3 in a lot of traffic each day and not "being careful" about mileage. I'm very happy with that
    Wow, Mr Blonde, you said it perfectly. When purchasing, I thought each car would be a fine choice, but the Mazda drove like a sports car and the Honda felt kind of flat and mushy to me. Simple as that. I traded a small amount of economy for the driving fun (which I appreciate everytime I go to merge onto the Lond Island Expressway) and the hatch/wagon of the 3s solved some of my issues of downsizing from an SUV.

I am pleasantly surprised to be getting about 26mpg in heavy highway/city (I commute to Manhattan) mixed driving.

Both great cars, but I got a better deal on the mazda, it had Sirius as opposed to XM, had a wagon version and drives better (to me). I've put on 34k miles in 1 1/2 years with just oil changes so knock wood, reliability seems to be a positive too.

In all honesty, with gas at $3.25/gal, I'm wishing I got a Prius but all in all I'm happy with my Mazda3s and I'm rarely happy about anything! LOL
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Both great cars, but I got a better deal on the mazda, it had Sirius as opposed to XM, had a wagon version and drives better (to me). I've put on 34k miles in 1 1/2 years with just oil changes so knock wood, reliability seems to be a positive too. "

I just hit 40 K last week (got it in Oct 05). Besides being hit twice, which isn't the car's fault (once from behind stopped in traffic, one parked in a lot), the only thing besides oil/rotation I have had to do was get the rear rotors done a few months ago (front pads haven't even needed to be done yet - the weird rear brake wearing bias in this car). Even the supposedly quick wearing goodyears lasted 35K miles.

What a refreshing change coming from an 03 Saab 9-3 - who's nightmarish maintenance history forced me to seel before I was out of warranty

Sirius over XM is a huge deal for me, too. Hopefull the merger goes thru and in 2 years none of that will matter
    I'm sure the Mazda 3 is a winner but it can't come close to the Civic in economy and cost of ownership

I think you hit a nerve with Mazda fans and owners here. To say that Mazda3 can't come close to Civic in economy and cost of ownership is a bit inacurate. Will the Civic get better fuel economy. Yes, but not by much. According to CR (February 2008), Honda Civic gets 31 mpg overall, and the Mazda3 i gets 30 mpg overall. If you opt for the bigger 2.3 Mazda, you get added performance.

Repair records show the Mazda3 has been very reliable. Do you have any data that shows the the Mazda3 "can't come close" to the Civic in terms of "true cost of ownership"?

I have a Mazda6, with the 2.3L motor, and I have 40K with no visits to the shop except for routine maintenance

bought my 07 Civic EX with the intention of taking advantage of the economy, headroom (I'm 6'5"), resale value, reliability and overall "fun".

It seems as if you made the right choice for you. Can't blame you for that. However, if you are to keep your Civic past 100K ,150Kmiles, how much is it really worth? Not much. Would it be worth thousands more then the Mazda3? Highly doubt it. If you try to sell it with that type of mileage, you usually get the scum of the earth looking to buy it, since thats all they can afford.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    Last tank was 43.8 mpg in 08 civic lx at nearly perfect epa conditions near orlando fl......55 mph and now get to work in almost record time with less stress..so, I don't think I will change anytime soon...08 is a bit better than the 03 civvic lx I had which was a very very good car.....btw, doubt the mileage?? I had a prius 02 in which I consistently got 55 mpg plus at or close to speed limit...so it can be done.....

Mazda not as quiet or good economy..BUT....excellent quality..japanese made.....
    can not fault the choice!!

haiti, indonesia, brazil,afghanistan....personal experience and in the news.....nissan ,toyota and jeep 4wd are about all you see in the roughest conditions in the world..or in TRUE wilderness and not suburbia.....
  • azr4elazr4el Member Posts: 2
    Granted both of these cars are not up to par with the reliabilities of the Civic or Corolla but I feel like getting a car that will stand out (although i might regret it in the long run when my wallet gets hit hard with gas prices). I think I can get either car for about the same price with similar options. Any thoughts ?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Not sure about the Mitsubishi as they haven't had excellent reliability in a while, but Consumer Reports puts the Mazda 3 in the best reliability category which should be very comparable to a Civic or Corolla. CR doesn't have enough data to rate the reliability of the Lancer yet.

People seem to just blindly assume other manufacturers can't have a car equal in reliability to a Honda or Toyota.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    CR doesn't have enough data to rate the Corolla for reliability, either. In their July issue they declined to put "Recommended" on the Corolla, since it's a new design. I think CR learned something from their experience with the 2007 Camry V6.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Corolla is a new design?

:P
    For 2009, yes. New exterior, interior, suspension, and 1.8L engine--all different from the 2003-8 Corolla.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Give me some credit, backy, I know that. I may have been a little tongue-in-cheek with that one. ;)

I must admit, I knew the 1.8L had a small power bump, but didn't know it was really "different." It sure sounded similar to the old Corolla when riding in a Scion xD.
    Toyota claims the 1.8L is "all new." You can take it up with them if you don't agree.

Anyway, back to the topic.... was just in my local Mazda dealer for some service on my MPV. Sat in the 2008 Mazda3i Touring VE. Very sharp car, about $18,150 with AT. A sales rep asked me how I liked it. I told him I'd like it a lot better if it had ESC. (I could have also told him the rear seat is a big tight, but I decided not to get into a lengthy discussion with him.) He said the Mazda3s has ESC. I replied that I liked the 3i for its FE and price, and didn't need the additional power of the 3s. He said, "It's all about choices, isn't it?" Yes, it is. So while I like a lot of things about the Civic and Mazda3, with the Civic having a slight advantage overall because of its exceptional crash test scores for the class, neither is my top choice in this class.
    The Mazda 3s has this nailed, a real blast to drive. Plenty of power when needed while displaying buttoned down road manners in the twisties. I look forward to driving the wife's 3s after getting out of my Civic for the true exhilaration the 3s provides. Love the Civic for my everyday economical driving but when I feel the need for speed, it's the 3s hands down. Planning a trip to Orlando in August to secure housing for my middle girl who will be an intern at Epcot for six months starting in January, and have already told the wife I want to take her Mazda on the drive up. The impeccable road handling coupled with the power of the 2.3 engine make this a car that begs to be driven on the turnpike...fast! Having four wheel disc brakes makes for competent stopping power in all situations.
    Glad we have both cars for my driving Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde persona. Haven't really enjoyed driving since my truck accident 3 years ago but am finally getting back my love of driving. It'll be nice to have the three and a half hour drive up to Orlando on the wide open turnpike and the Mazda 3s is just the car to do it in. We tossed around the idea of renting a car but decided it best to just drive the 3 instead. Can spend an extra day there for the same $ we'd have spent on the week rental.
    Zoom Zoom!

With gas at $4 per, I'm finding I feel the need for speed a lot less than I used to. ;)

Now I would think that a car like the Mazda3 would be at its best in places with hills and twisties, not on the flat turnpikes of Florida. For that, I'd want something with a quiet, smooth ride more than anything. But that's me.
    Since putting on the Traction T/A's last year, she drives quite smoothly and quietly. Driving with 3 adults and the luggage for the 5 of us, I really want the extra power of the 2.3 engine if needed. The wife and one daughter will be taking the train up a day earlier, as we can't fit all 5 and the needed luggage in either of our cars. Thus, the only drawback for having the econoboxes we both drive. We only need a larger car a few times a year, this being one of those times. but since we haven't taken a full family vacation since 2000, we'll make due.
    Once your kids get in their 20's, they tend to shun family vacations. I've made this one mandatory as we all need to reconnect as a family since we went through a real rough patch after my accident. Besides, it'll be fun.
    Did price out renting a Camry size car for the week, and we just decided to take the Mazda instead. Besides, it hasn't been on a road trip in almost 18 months...time to blow that engine out a bit!

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    It was down to the Civic and Mazda3 for me...and I picked Mazda over Civic for the same reasons you just mentioned. I just don't like the look of the new Civic at all. Honda dealer didn't seem to want my business as bad as Mazda, their loss. This is the 2nd time I wanted a Civic and got the "take it or leave it" from Honda dealer, too bad. And you get more for the money by buying a Mazda3. The 3s also have high resale values.
    And you get more for the money by buying a Mazda3

Good point.

I heard that Honda was delaying the announcement or a new Civic to better equip it to compete with the current segment leaders. In recent years, the competition has caught up to and passed the Civic as far as content goes.

Message to Honda: When Kia is offering much more of a car at a lower price, you have a problem.
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2010
    Have not posted since I got my last 3 in 2007. It was a super car. I should note the my other two cars are Hondas. My 2007 3gt manual cost my $0 to operate except oil and filter for 60,000 miles with the exception of a 30,000 mile routine service and new tires. This car was a joy to drive. I much prefer the seats in this car vs my 2004 Honda EXV6. By the way, these hondas are not the only two I've owned...4 in total. While I love the reliability of the Hondas, they are far from perfect. I have sunk plenty of money into them. But at least for 63,521 miles, my 07 Mazda 3 was flawless.

I took it in for an oil change a few weeks ago and walked out with my new 2010...same model with all the bells and whistles. My first impression is that IT IS a significantly better car. It feels more expensive, better insulated, and handles better. And it's quicker. There is nothing more you could ask of this car within reason. I would not hesitate to recommend either my old or new model 3 over the Civic. Reliability should not be an issue. Period. Unless you have owned both, Civic owners should no longer kid themselves that they have the more reliable car. If you have been on the fence about a 3 based on reliability, go buy one now while 0% financing is in effect.
    It's been years since I owned a Honda, but, my family still has a couple. My brother has a 2004 Accord EX-L V6 with 110,000 on it (inherited from my father at 75,000) and outside if routine maintenance, has been pretty good. I do believe my father had a vapor lock issue when it would not start and there was a tranny issue as well.

Civic's are very good cars. I have no reason to talk bad about them other then their lack of sportiness and content offered.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    My 2007 MS3 has been faultless since it needed a new LF strut and turbo at around 25,000 miles. It now has over 60,000 miles on it and I think I'll fit some Bilsteins, a Hypertech flash, and some track wheels and tires. That should keep me amused for at least a couple of years. That said, I wouldn't consider a new MS3. It's gained weight and it's not available in Grand Touring trim. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it doesn't make the cut for me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mexicanpiratesmexicanpirates Member Posts: 1
    Im choosing whether or not to get a Mazda3 or a Civic. Both would be 2013. I like the Mazda cause it's a lot faster than the Civic, (its also a 6-speed), but shifting on it is also a lot harder than the civic. Mainly, I'm just looking for a fast car that would be good for drifting. I'd love to hear all of your comments.

Also, which is more comfortable interior wise? Seats, dash, etc.
    I don't agree with you that the Mazda3 6MT is a lot harder to shift than the Civic. I think the Mazda3's stick is very easy and fun to shift.

My preference is the Mazda3, but I would definitely go for the all-new 2014 Mazda3 now that it's out, as it has an improved interior, improved fuel economy, etc. Looks a lot better too, IMO. Will cost a little more than a left-over 2013, but if you want to go that route, why not save a LOT of money and get a slightly-used (maybe CPO) 2012 Mazda3?