Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The first year bugs you see with the Civic have been relatively minor compared to most first year models. It has swept virtually every award it was eligable for and has drawn praise from a wide variety of sources."

But those awards have nothing at all to do with relaibility. They were given out right as the car was hitting the street.

I'll also note those awards didn't help the Civic in the comparision test done by the site you are currently participating in...
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    The edmunds comparo? Well, they simply don't like the Civic and test wasn't exactly objective. They take an EX and compare it to a 3s GT? They rail against the digital speedo. But almost everyone who has one, loves it.

As for reliability, you are correct. This is the first year of a complete redesign. No one knows how it will end up. With Honda's track record however, there is plenty of reason for optomism.

Please also note that when the 3 was new, everyone on the Mazda board claimed it would be reliable because the protege was reliable. As for the 3, it's oldest cars are only a few years old. People have faith in Honda because of what they do 8, 9 and 10 years down the road. In that case, there is no way to know how reliable either the 3 or the Civic will be. All we have is the company's track record and Mazda's is not as good as Hondas. Look at what has happened to the lastest iterations of the 6. What happened to the reliability?

I also think there were a lot of really odd problems with the 3 that may not be showing up on surveys. The air conditioning was rated as fine by Consumer's but there have been numerous complaints.

Again, both great cars and probably both reliable. I just don't think its a slam dunk for the 3 as some on this board would have you believe. The 3, to it's credit has been very solid so far - I can't argue with that. Long term, we will have to see.

Mcap
    "They take an EX and compare it to a 3s GT? "

FWIW, that only hurt the Mazda. It took away points because of the higher price. If it was compared w/ the s Touring like it should have been, the margin of victory would have been larger.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Since the 3 has been introduced I have read about problems related to airbag warning light, a transmission reflash and poor shifting, squealing breaks (loud), grooved rear rotors, stalling, not starting, a clock that fails to keep accurate time, a seat problem, air conditioning, air conditioning and air conditioning

Yes, the Mazda3 has had some quirks. Mostly in 2004. Since then, really no complaints. I work for a Mazda dealer, and I just spoke with my service manager, a Mazda man for over 10 years, and he said the Mazda3 has been basically flawless after the 2004 model year. He only see's them for oil changes and the 7,500 mile services. I also asked about the air conditioning complaints, he said Mazda has solved that problem.

The first year bugs you see with the Civic have been relatively minor compared to most first year models

See, the problem is that many hold Honda as the best car on the road, especialy Honda owners, and when you see these problems in a Honda, it's a big big deal. I have noticed a trend in the decline in quality with Honda. Mainly in their V6 models, but, I must say I am surprised to see this trickle down into to coveted Civic. It could be just "first year bug's", but, we will have to wait a few years for that to prove true.

Don't take that statement as me saying Honda's are a bad vehicle, they are quite the opposite. Definitely one of the best. But, stats don't lie, and they don't make as good of a car as they used to.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I expect some extra first year bugs when I buy a completely redesigned car. I have never heard anyone say - go buy a first year car they always have less problems - I mean really - no need to tell me the sun comes up in the east!

That is not an excuse for the horrible treatment that Mazda dishes out - is it?

If someone has a car with no problems thats great - but if you really want to evaluate the customer service of a company you need to ask someone that has had to use it. I have seen the same post many times - My car has NO PROBLEMS - Mazda customer service is great!

It took Mazda about 1 1/2 years to issue a TSB on the grinding brake defect - the harsh shifting tranny - the thumping front end - anyone think that is good service?

What about the AC issue - does anyone know of even a single customer - that has had their AC problem fixed?

I don't think a company should get a gold medal for solving obvious defects in their 2004 model by the 2005 & 2006 model year. The measure of good customer service is quickly solving the problems that do come up - IMO quickly is not 18 months.
    Look at what has happened to the lastest iterations of the 6. What happened to the reliability?

Well, the V6 Mazda6 is a Ford engine, that's what happened. The Mazda3 i (4-cyl) is Recommended by CR.

I do agree with most of what you said. The new Civic is nothing like the previous gen. and the Mazda3 is nothing like the Protege. Both of those vehicles had impeccable reliability. I guess we should have this comparo 5 years from now, and then see how they stack up.

Even though I work for a Mazda dealer, I still hold Honda in high regard. When I have a customer shopping the Mazda3 against the Civic, I always say "the Civic is a great car, I just feel you will like our car more.".
    I expect some extra first year bugs when I buy a completely redesigned car. I have never heard anyone say - go buy a first year car they always have less problems - I mean really - no need to tell me the sun comes up in the east!

That is not an excuse for the horrible treatment that Mazda dishes out - is it?

If someone has a car with no problems thats great - but if you really want to evaluate the customer service of a company you need to ask someone that has had to use it. I have seen the same post many times - My car has NO PROBLEMS - Mazda customer service is great!

It took Mazda about 1 1/2 years to issue a TSB on the grinding brake defect - the harsh shifting tranny - the thumping front end - anyone think that is good service?

What about the AC issue - does anyone know of even a single customer - that has had their AC problem fixed?

I don't think a company should get a gold medal for solving obvious defects in their 2004 model by the 2005 & 2006 model year. The measure of good customer service is solving the problems that do come up. ""

The point was that you were making reliability judgements based on a first year model car, when time has shown those problems to have been solved. The service may be lacking, but that doesn't mean that a 2006 is an unreliable car
    Everyone has different experiences. You have obviously had a bad one, and you are totally within your right to express that here. But, the current discussion is reliability of the 06 Civic and 06 Mazda3, with taking into account 1st year bug's associated with a new model. You are talking about customer service with the corporate offices of Mazda, or your particular Mazda dealer. There are other threads for that.

Just because you had a bad experience with a Mazda dealer, does not mean all are bad, as you implied in a previous statement. You particular experience with 1-800-Mazda seems to be a negative one, but, others have had A+ experiences.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I remember that it also was 2-3 seconds faster, 0-60, than the Auto, and about 5 MPG more efficient! :shades:

If that isn't reason enough to learn how to drive......

DrFill
    It is true I have a 2004 - but YOU are missing the point

Honda has better CUSTOMER SERVICE IF YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM. Which most cars will have at some point.

Are you trying to convince me that when a 2004 model comes in for a problem (still under warranty BTW) Mazda says - tell them its normal for brakes to grind , tranny to shift poorly bla bla bla take your pick - but when a 2006 model comes in with a problem Mazda says - We better jump right on this and get it fixed!

Its the same company with the same people - same policies that sold me my 2004 that is now selling 2006 models.

As far as the AC in the 2006 model is concerned - all the issues have been fixed - really - I think that is a complete lie - please someone prove me wrong -

If the problem has been fixed what did they do to fix it?

Hard to accept that it just went away on its own - where is the TSB to fix the 2004 & 2005 models?

Or is this company that has such great customer service going to just leave anyone that bought a car with a defect to just twist in the wind?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    DrFill said:
    "I remember that it also was 2-3 seconds faster, 0-60, than the Auto, and about 5 MPG more efficient!

If that isn't reason enough to learn how to drive...... "

I agree manual is awesome to drive, but I think your facts are incorrect. Here is what i found as objective, factual data:

0-60 manual 2.3 Mazda 3= 8.0 seconds Consumer Guide
    0-60 auto4sp 2.0 Mazda 3= 9.6 seconds Consumer Reports

The biggest diffrence between the auto in the 2.0L and the manual in the 2.3 L is only 1.6 seconds. Typically 3speed automatics are a little over a second and 5-6 speed automatics are pretty close to equal to manuals

Mileage difference ?

auto 2.3 25/31
    man 2.3 25/32
    auto 2.0 26/34
    Man 2.0 28/35

You only gain the efficiency if you are comparing the smaller and larger engine not auto versus manual

I Shift,

MidCow
    If you're going to correct me, you could at least reference the article I was referring to.

Might prove relevant to the conversation. :confuse:

I wasn't referring to EPA estimates.

DrFill
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Although this report and survey is a bit old (2002/2003), it still is representative of the trend in reliability of the major Asian auto manufacturers. Most likely, some of these manufacturers have improved even further.

See link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-03-11-cr-picks_x.htm
    The current CR 5-year checkup on reliability (2001-2005)

1. Lexus/Toyota 20-40 problems/100 vehicles
    2. Acura/Honda 20-90 problems/100 vehicles
    3. Infiniti 40 problems/100 vehicles
    4. Subaru 40-50 problems/100 vehicles
    5. Mazda 30-80 problems/100 vehicles
    15. Hyundai 60-110 problems/100 vehicles

The average model 75 problems/100 vehicles

Although this report and survey is a bit old (2002/2003), it still is representative of the trend in reliability of the major Asian auto manufacturers. Most likely, some of these manufacturers have improved even further

I think this article is a bit out dated. Especialy in regards to Hyundai
    Hey Dr. Fill,

I wnet back to the EXACT article and evidently those quoting it didn't read it, I am a Consumers Reports subscriber.

They comoared a manual and an automatic 2.0 L i sedan

auto: 0-60 9.6 seconds mileage 150 mile loop = 32
    man: 0-60 8.6 seconds mileage 150 mile loop = 36

So acceleration difference equals 1 second , not 2-3 seconds.

Mileage diffrence =4 mpg , so okay your 5 mpg is pretty accurate.

Cheers,

MidCow
    Okay what is the exact statistical distribution, the average, the mean, and the standard deviation. Remember a range is a very, very weak statistic. Did you know that of all the people that had birthdays yesterday their age ranged between 0 and 100+ years old! That is a range!!!

For example let's say that all of Honda/Acura was close to 20 with one report of 90, let's say the average was then 22

Let's also say that Mazda had all at 80 with one at 30, then the average was 79.

So then Honda/Acura 22 compared to Mazda 79, then Honda much ,much beteer. But it could be vice-versa just as easy.

You see what I mena a range statistic is pretty meaningless. Tell me the mean, average and standard deviation.

Good book "How to lie with statisitics" There was a race with only two entrants: Russia and USA. USA came in first and Russia came in second. It was repoted two ways: USA First, Russai second. and Russai second, USA next to last.

So for your information ,no one can surmise which is more reliable!
    Cheers,

MidCow
    The Mazda3 man was 2-3 seconds faster than something in that issue, while considerably more efficient. I only read it in passing at Borders.

What was it?

DrFill
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    In what race Russia came second? Not in space race for sure.
    Maybe this will help you, cowboy...

Averages set by CR.

1. Lexus-25/100
    Toyota-30/100
    2. Acura-38/100
    Honda-40/100
    3. Infini-45/100
    4. Subaru-48/100
    5. Mazda-50/100
    15. Hyundai-78/100

So, MidCow, do these averages by CR constitute an accurate reliability rating? This also goes to disprove your statement yesterday about Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura being the only "very reliable vehicles". Heck, Mazda is closer in reliability to Honda then Honda is to Lexus.
  • dripgossdripgoss Member Posts: 7
    I'm glad I haven't had any of the supposed reliability problems with Hyundai that some of the data you people seem to whip out.

I have a 97 Elantra wagon that won't die. 150k miles, cross country twice (hauling probably a ton of stuff) and all I've had to replace (minus brakes, a few belts, wipers, tires, etc) is a thermostat and a transmission regulator (both ~$200 repairs). I'm in the market now for a replacement, but the 07 Sonatas and Santa Fe's are on my list of must test cars...

Hyundais definitely make great used cars if you plan on driving them into the ground. Buy a 1 year old Sonata, let someone else soak up the depreciation and "test" the lemmon factor of the car for a year and you should still be able to benefit from the remainder of the killer warranty...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I was under the impression that the Hyundai/Kia warranty didn't fully transfer; I read that on a Kia board referring to a Sedona. Am I wrong?
    was under the impression that the Hyundai/Kia warranty didn't fully transfer; I read that on a Kia board referring to a Sedona. Am I wrong?

The 10yr-100K power train warranty does NOT transfer, the 5yr-60K bumper to bumper warranty does transfer, but, Hyundai is not known for accepting full warranty work. My co-worker worked for Hyundai for 10+ years, thats my source on that.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ... Hyundai is not known for accepting full warranty work ...

That is news to me. The dealers I've taken my two Elantras to for service have never failed to accept warranty work, and in fact they have done some things under warranty that technically they would not have had to do, just based on the terms of the warranty.
    That is news to me. The dealers I've taken my two Elantras to for service have never failed to accept warranty work, and in fact they have done some things under warranty that technically they would not have had to do, just based on the terms of the warranty

I guess everyones expierence is different. My co-worker who worked for them is where I got that statement from. He may have worked for sub par Hyundai dealer. I have never owned a Hyundai.
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    MidCow will not be happy until we all subscribe to the fact that on the 8th day God created Honda and that only after an uncountable millennia of perfecting did he create God’s gift to all mankind, his only begotten Civic…. ;)
    Amen
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't think anyone means any harm, but let's get back to the cars and skip the commentary on other posters.
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    ... my apologies pat ... it just that this thread has swayed quite a distance from it's topic of the MAZDA3 -vs- the Honda Civic. NOT the entire Mazda line -vs- the entire Honda line... as some others who shall now remain nameless seem to think.
    My Honda could beat up your Mazda...I mean your dad...
    Sorry, it was too quiet around here.
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Member Posts: 31
    OK, except for the million posts off topic, this is a great forum! I am in the 11th hour trying to decide on the civic ex or the mazda 3s HB. Trading in a '03 Santa Fe which has been a great SUV but we have two and I drive 20k+ miles a year and gas is killing me. Also, at 60k miles it is ready for some serious work (at least brakes and tires plus unforeseen stuff I'm sure). With all the options considered (basically I MUST have a moonroof [stop snickering, it's just the way it is]... ABS, side curtain airbags, etc, and with the PATHETIC resale/trade value of the Hyundai, I'm looking at $20g for either model.

That said...I test drove both and CLEARLY the Mazda performs better. Fun and cool and zippy. The Honda was mushy and plain, very slushy braking, so-so power, kind of similar to my current SUV. However, the Honda definitely felt bigger and more sedan-like. Maybe it's just perception, but that's how it felt to me.

My biggest question is:
    1. How can the safety of these two be so close in most comparisons when the Honda is CLEARLY way ahead in all crash tests and ratings?

I have a 6 month old baby and safety is a concern. Although this car is primarily my "commuter" vehicle, I still plan to bring the kid to school in it and hoped to use it for longer trips particularly for the gas mileage and driving fun.

My heart is leaning towards the Mazda because I'm sure I will enjoy it more. My head is leaning towards the Honda because it seems more "sensible" (blech, did I say that)? When I add a rear wing spoiler and chrome exhaust tip to the Honda, it's actually pretty sporty looking. Still "plain jane" on the inside and the cloth color options are truly pathetic, and it STILL drives like grandpa's car... aarrrggghhhhhh...

Damn, what a dilemma? Any comments would be appreciated. Any Mazda 3 owners with young kids?! Please spare me the "get a bigger car" stuff, I already know that but can't quite afford it.

Thanks for reading this diatribe from an indecisive schmoe. Any comments are appreciated!

Best,
    Mike
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    Doesn't sound like this is really a question at all. You seem to greatly prefer the Mazda and I bet you will be dissappointed in the very near future if you chose otherwise.
    People seem to really like the new civic styling and interior as it's an attention grabber that's selling like gangbusters. However, it's not grabbing yours so I'd avoid it.
    My biggest question is:
    1. How can the safety of these two be so close in most comparisons when the Honda is CLEARLY way ahead in all crash tests and ratings?

Keep in mind, the Mazda3 was not tested with side airbags and side air curtains. I do not know why, or who's choice it was to do so. The Mazda3 s Touring and Grand Touring they are standard, and not available on the base s

Also, there is more interior room in the Mazda3 as opposed to the Honda Civic. You also have added cargo space with the 5-door.

My thing has always been to go where your heart is leading you. If it's the Mazda3, like it seems to be, then go for it. If it's the Honda Civic, then go for the Honda Civic. They are both the segment leaders, and either choice is a winner
    Is fun to drive more important than cost & reliability?

Fun to drive = Mazda3

Lower cost & reliability = Civic

I choose the Mazda3 and even though my car has been a complete disaster from a reliability standpoint with NO HELP from Mazda - If I had to make the choice again I would still get the Mazda3.

But we put less than 10K miles per year on the car - so the less than 20 MPG fuel economy is not that much $ - and we have other vehicles we can drive when the Mazda is broken down or in in for warranty work.
    How about elaborating the the "disaster." Haven't heard too many horror stories about the Mazda3. Honda's reputation is well known, but I've heard more about issues with the 1st year Civics, including 2 or 3 recalls. None for the Mazda.

And how on earth are you getting less than 20mpg?!?! Are you towing a bus?!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should check out the main Mazda3 discussion before making a decision We have a dedicated 2006+ Civic discussion as well.

Let us know how it goes!
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    I also debated between these two cars and tried them both extensively. In the end, I have a lot of city miles to log on terrible roads. Safety and costs were bigger considerations. I needed a car that was going to be able to take a beating. My last civic was rock solid and only lost 25% of it's value in two years - so I went with the Honda. I think I would have felt better had my m3 rental not taken two attempts to start each time.

I don't think you will go wrong either way. If your heart is swaying towards the Mazda, then go for it, just make sure you add ABS and SABs. Just keep in mind that there were cars WITH SABs on the crash tests that Honda did better than. SABs do not guarantee the same level of safety. The Civic body itself has a lot of advanced safety features. Also, if you look the Mazda did worse in rear crash ratings. SABs will not change that.

I will say that although the performance of the civic is not up to par with the Mazda, the handling and breaking are really quite good. The steering wheel has a very tight radius and takes some getting used to. Also, you can be afraid to push the engine into the higher revs.

As for the interior, the M3 may have more room but the Civic has more open, airy cockpit. It depends on what you like. Some people don't like the A pillars in the Civic but I found the visibility in the M3 to be worse, especially into the blind spot. The front leg room in the m3 was increadibly cramped for the driver. But...some have complained about the civic parking brake.

Can you wait until the second half of this year? Not sure when the Si sedan is coming out but it may be a great solution for you.

Marc
    I don't think you will go wrong either way. If your heart is swaying towards the Mazda, then go for it, just make sure you add ABS and SABs

On the Mazda3 s HB (like the guy is interested in), ABS is standard, SAB/SAC are only available on the Touring and Grand Touring.
    I think you got a :lemon: , something EVERY manufacturer (even Honda) has made in every model and year.

It stink's that you have had those problems with your Mazda3. Maybe even worse that Mazda has done nothing to help
    Thanks for the reply. Your posts make a lot of sense. I think you definitely got a lemon. My wife and I have Santa Fe's. Her's never had an issue. Mine dropped a cylider sleeve at 4900 miles and they wanted to replace the motor. I told them to screw and took it to the Better Business Bureau and Elliott Spitzer (NY attorney general) and Hyundai USA reluctantly gave me a new one. This one has 60k flawless miles in 2+yrs of hard driving with nothing but oil changes. So all in all I have to see it as just one bad car and not indicative of the overall quality of the company.

I agree with all of your points about the Civic and that's what makes the decision so difficult. It's really the cool car vs. the sensible car but to make it worse, the Honda has a few cool points and the Mazda a few sensible ones.

I trust the Honda dealership more and haven't heard much praise for Mazda cust. service. I think the Civic makes a better commuter, "family" 2nd car and value, but damn, I hate thinking that I drive a Civic, blech every damn day!

Oh well, maybe I have too much info. Mazda is offering me a real good deal on my trade in, Honda so-so and they won't budge since the the Civic's are so hot right now.

I'm almost ready to drop more dough and look at the Volvo S40 but that's not likely.

Damn, Civic vs. Mazda3...time to go flip a coin, best 4 out of 7!!! LOL
    Damn, Civic vs. Mazda3...time to go flip a coin, best 4 out of 7!!! LOL

Heads, Mazda wins....Tails, Honda loses....lol :shades:
    I looked into the lemon law and it was just not worth the trouble - most of my problems - if taken individually - would not have made the car an automatic lemon. It was the weak AC that was the single biggest defect - Houston Texas has 9 months worth of summer - and a few of those are close to hell.

Mazda corporate was really hard to deal with - I have never experienced anything even close to this poor of customer service (personal or business). The strange thing is all of the problems I had were considered normal (by Mazda) - but then later (sometimes almost 1.5 years later) Mazda would come out with a TSB that was directly on point to my problem -

The good news is all of my issues have pretty much been solved - so I am glad I stuck with the Mazda3 - The AC is the wild card - today it was close to 80 degrees and the AC cooled the car off after only 5 miles or so - not bad - the tinting I had put on really helps knock the edge off the sun - plus IMO it looks better.
    Ha, my wife just came to me and said "Patty's (our neighbor) Mom has the Civic (she's about 75 yrs old) so that should help with your decision"!!! Hell yeah, it does!! Hello, Mazda dealer...

For the record, I took my wife to see the Mazda and the Civic and she disliked both (says they're too small...and she's 5'1" and 110lbs...Napoleonic complex.

Now I notice the Acura TSX in automatic is only $25g. Seriously looking for a way to find another $5g to make that happen. It's a zillion miles above any of these other compacts, although where I live they'll steal my headlights every two weeks if not the whole car.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    Girl#1 is really attractive, participates in my hobbies,
    loves kids, but also shopping. Girl#2 is average, low-maintenance, likes to clean the house, loves kids, might make a better housewife. Which one would you marry?

Go with what your heart desires - it'll be easier to justify later. Like someone said before, we aren't comparing Prius and Corvette here anyway.
    Girl #3...the stripper! lol
    Mongoose,

Have you considered getting a 2004 TSX instead? They are actually Japanese/Euro Accords, and have much nicer interiors, with good room and economy (on prem, though :(). Just a thought.
    Girl #3...the stripper! lol

So you'd take a Miata, because it will drop its top, right?

:)
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Mazda3 owners get joy from driving their cars.

Civic owners get joy from passing the Honda garage without stopping - do they even require oil changes?
    "Mazda3 owners get joy from driving their cars.

Civic owners get joy from passing the Honda garage without stopping - do they even require oil changes? "

For the record, I'm a Mazda3 owner who gets joy from driving it AND never having a single issue in 9000 miles over 6 months... Though I did change the oil twice already :shades:
    I know to file lemon law in my state is pretty tough. It is a lot of work.

It's good to hear most of your problems have been resolved. I hope you do get everything fixed so you actually get to enjoy your Mazda3!

I would not be able to deal with the scorching TX heat, that's why I live in New England. A trade off for crappy, messy, fridged winters!
    This may be hard for some to understand - but even though I have had a very difficult experience with Mazda I do enjoy driving the Mazda3.

I don't think I will ever buy another Mazda - but I have said that before - about GM (back in 1980 something) it only took about 19 years before I gave them another chance!