Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    ...I think the new Accord looks great! It's not bland anymore like the feminine outgoing model,...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like maybe you got something against girls?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The front profile of the new Accord reminds me of the 1998-2002 European Accord, quite a bit, one that I loved (having drive the Type-R once, it is easily my favorite Accord of all time... it made me consider the 2000 Prelude).
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    There is a sunglasses mount bluetooth system for non nav cars. Works great but doesn't mute the stereo. That will require the GPS. Remote start is available. Has like a status monitor.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    Any one have an idea on prices for the 08 sedan & coupe?
    I expect it to go up by $500-$1000 depending on trim (considering added features and inflation).
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I just found this on cnn.com

Turns out GM was planning to put Camary and Accords at the Chevy dealerships to let people do a test drive comparison with the Malibu. GM had been doing that with the Aura. But according to the article they scrapped their plan to do that with the Malibu. Probably knew they'd drive plenty of business to the Honda and Toyota dealers down the street!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/31/autos/gm_vs_camry_accord_not/index.htm?postversi- on=2007083113
    Thats funny. They probably weren't of redesigned Accord until recently. :P
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Honda is on its own level, Chevy cannot even compete with Honda, Try trading a Chevy in early, and see how upside down you are, the value goes down very fast. I have an 06 accord, and I can already make a profit on it. Chevy and honda are on separate levels.

Well, let's think about that. Trad in wise, you have to look at the situation. Honda doesn't produce anywhere near as many vehicles as GM, so their overall trade in will be better since there are less onthe road (no the only reason, but most of it). If you were trading in a Toyota Camry, you wouldn't do so hot either.

But in the looks department, maybe the malibu could compete, but not with overall value and quality. Malibu would need a good history of a good rep, and the way it looks now, it might reclaim a good rep. Honda has value and class, Chevy has very well engineered cars, but don't think the pay attention to detail like honda does.

I think, right now, Honda is living off an old reputation. they are good quality cars, but once they are surpassed in quality and reliability, they have very little. And recently, Studies bu JD power and others have shown that American brands are surpassing.

I'm not partial to American cars, but I think everyone is noticing that the playing field will soon be leveled.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like maybe you got something against girls?

No, I just don't want to drive a girl car (haha). I think the syling would have been okay if it wasn't so bland. I mean, the 02-06 Altima looked great. It was feminine too.
  • glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    Define Girl car for me??? If any car is a girl car, its either the Mazda Miata or the VW Beetle, now those are girls cars! The Honda Accord is too metro-sexual to be a girls or boys car, its just a car.

Joe
  • metro3metro3 Member Posts: 6
    Can't deicde on I4 or V6. I have owned previous '86 Accord and several Camarys all I4 and would like to power but trying to convince myself to justify the cost difference.
    How smooth and quite is the I4 vs the V6?
    When it comes to sell/trade time which is in more demand?
  • ahsanman99ahsanman99 Member Posts: 28
    thr biggest chic cars are Saturn,pontiac sunfire,grand Am,grand prix,cavaliar,Exlipse,buick,mercury cougar etc.all american brands.Girls that have some class and knowledge about cars,drive cars like honda,bmw,lexus ,Acura.infiniti,mercedese etc.
    Well it's hard to give an answer to that because the V6 is the new Accord is not the same as the previous versions. The new V6 will have a VCM which means it will shut down 2 or 3 cylinders when possible to get better gas mileage. Doing so means you get all of that extra power at a cost of only 2-3 mpg less gas mileage.

This feature could also improve the resale value for the V6, assuming it works as it's supposed to with no problems. But no one will no for sure until the resales are actually happening.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Can't deicde on I4 or V6.

You may want to read the posts here: I4 vs. V6

Honda sells a lot more I4s than the V6 but demands are always hard to figure. As for smoothness, drive them both and see what is best for you.

I'm a huge fan of the I4 but go check out the above link to read what others think. But remember, no one really knows about the 08 yet.
    Define Girl car for me???

It was a joke! Common people, we have to have a sese of humor.
    But the way that hood slopes down lacks boldness. The car lacks prescence. You get no respect for driving it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, just looks plain and, boring. The feminine part wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't boring. Yet Honda wants to appeal to men, to, and that wasn't doing it.
    thr biggest chic cars are Saturn,pontiac sunfire,grand Am,grand prix,cavaliar,Exlipse,buick,mercury cougar etc.all american brands

Okay, that post made no sense. And the only really feminie looking car in that list was the Mitsu Eclipse.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    It was a joke! Common people, we have to have a sese of humor.

First of all, you must not be talking to me... I'm not common. ;)

Secondly, saying it was a joke and then going on to justify the "girl car" theme kind of makes one think you didn't mean it as a joke at all.

Yet Honda wants to appeal to men, to, and that wasn't doing it.

Perhaps for you but I don't think you are going to find many men, Accord owners or not, who agree with you.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Maybe its just me, but wouldn't a REAL man (with nothing to prove) be more concerned with how the car drives, not how it looks? ;)

I know I am...

Lucky for me, the front-end of my 2006 is growing on me, and I've always liked the LED taillamps/rear design.
  • adamr1adamr1 Member Posts: 43
    I recently purchased an SE V6. The V6 is a great engine, I couldn't be happier with it. It has great power and is quiet.

Prior to this new car I drove a 2002 V6 Accord and also my wifes 2002 I4 Accord. The V6 is more fun to drive with great pickup and feels a lot more substantial. But the I4 is nice as well, has enough pickup for everyday needs. I like the pickup and overall feel of the V6 so that is why I went with it again when buying my 2007 Accord.

One other thing to consider, the V6 also comes with great safety features that the I4 does not. All V6 engines include traction control and stability control which you cannot get with the I4. That all changes for 2008 though as all trims get these features. To me they were a big safety addition.

The SE V6 represent a huge value in my opinion. You get a ton of features, all the safety features plus the V6 engine for around 19,500 to 20,000. They only have this model for 2007. For that price, you aren't paying much more than the I4 models yet you are getting a lot more. Also from what I read, there are a ton of EX V6's around so you probably could get a great deal on that.

For 2008 the V6 increases in size (3.0 vs 3.5) and also power (244 HP vs. I believe about 268). For me, the 2007 V6 gives me more than I need plus the huge discounts they are giving on them.

As for resale, I don't think you will recoup all of the extra cost of the V6, but you may some. However you should recoup extra with a 2007 becuase of the extra safety features. Stability control will be required in all cars in a few years.
  • metro3metro3 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone seen the pricing by trim level?
    Also, is Honda still offering a SEV6?
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    No. The SE is off the table for the 08 model line.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I have to say wow! I think the new Accord looks great! It's not bland anymore like the feminine outgoing model, yet not so radical as the weird looking Mazda wannabe Camry. It doesn't look like it tried to copy the sporty Altima, either. This looks as if it has a little lux, a little class. It looks dead Acura- like a little cheaper RL (I think this one looks better!). The BMW 5 styling is OBVIOUS.

I have to say "yawn". I can't get over how many people are saying this new Accord doesn't look bland. Compared to the "feminine" outgoing model -- with its bullet-like profile -- this new sedan is so borrrring. Its grille looks like it was borrowed from the outgoing (07) Malibu and the rest of the exterior brings to mind GM's "formal roofline" styling of the 70s and 80s. If my parents were still around, they would probably like this new Accord! And they used to drive Oldsmobile Cieras. Ugh.

For the first time, I almost think GM has come up with something more attractive than Honda: I'd choose the 08 Malibu purely on the basis of styling, at least from what I've seen in pictures. As for the mechanical & reliability aspects...well, that's another story.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Right, Grad. If you've got enough hormones the cars have no gender.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    A REAL MAN can wear a pink shirt, and drive a Miata, and still look like a man. Some guys may require a beard, to pull that off though. ;)
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    I traded a 4 cylinder Accord 2005 for a 6 cyl. Accord 2007 in July and will never look back. It's quieter, more comfortable and a blast to drive. Plus the stabilty and traction control and :) the daytime running lights make it safer, IMHO.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I agree, but the previous generation Accord should have had stability and traction control standard as well on ALL trim levels. Honda has always positioned itself as a safety leader - this was unfortunately not the case with the previous Accord. Their hand was finally forced in the new generation Accord by market competition.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I think, right now, Honda is living off an old reputation. they are good quality cars, but once they are surpassed in quality and reliability, they have very little. And recently, Studies bu JD power and others have shown that American brands are surpassing."

No, the only domestic that are as reliable or more reliable as Honda or Toyota/Lexus are Buick and Caddy I think judging by JD Powers surevy of 3 yr old cars from the 2004 model year. I really don;t like JD Power reliability surveys because they count a complaint such as an owner of a car complaing about a rough ride as a mechanical problem I think.
  • bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    I agree, but the previous generation Accord should have had stability and traction control standard as well on ALL trim levels. Honda has always positioned itself as a safety leader - this was unfortunately not the case with the previous Accord. Their hand was finally forced in the new generation Accord by market competition.

Honda is actually well ahead of its main competitor, Toyota. My understanding is that the stability control was standard on the top trim line Accords.

No matter what Camry you get, it's an extra cost option (around $500). While I wouldn't mind paying that extra, it is an option that also requires you to buy heated seats and is very hard to find on a real Camry anywhere in the South. As far as I can find there are no Camry's in the Gulf States Toyota region which have stability control. I think the same may be true in the Southeast. However they do offer you plenty of custom racing stripes, sealant treatments and other useless add ons.

I think the situation is much the same with the higher-priced Avalons.

So, by comparison, Honda ain't doin badly.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Have owned both over the years. My experience has been mostly in high country with mountains, but my considered advice is to get the V-6. Little, if any, real world mileage difference and additional power flexability is phenomenal.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...Little, if any, real world mileage difference and additional power flexability is phenomenal.

....amen, brother.

The 4 cyl - - at optimum fuel efficiency - - can log circa 44; the V-6, 39 (been there) - - - about 11.5 per cent.

The six, however, has real linear authority. (Power for those in Rio Linda - - - about 25 miles east of me)

Just a few thoughts from this sailor.

best, ez..
    When coming from a car with less power AND less fuel economy (1996 Accord LX - 130hp, 23/31 MPG), the 4-cyl Accord was the best of both worlds. Better power (especially passing - the 96 LX didn't have VTEC - the 06 has iVTEC), better economy (I average 29MPG in the 06, 27 or so in the 1996 - and highway the 06 runs away with over 6 MPG better on average), and many more safety features, the 4-cyl was a no-brainer for me. V6 would have been wretched excess to me!
    Found on another forum. All are the 4 cylinder models. Seems a little pricey to me.

LX-P 22755
    EXL 26455
    EX 24455
    price includes destination of 635
    No price on the LX?

What transmission is this?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    For the first time, I almost think GM has come up with something more attractive than Honda: I'd choose the 08 Malibu purely on the basis of styling, at least from what I've seen in pictures. As for the mechanical & reliability aspects...well, that's another story.

The Chevy should be just fine from a mechanical and reliability standpoint. My parents had a 2003 Impala LS and only ever had 1 recall and otherwise routine maintenance for the 40,000 miles they owned it.

I have 16,200 miles on my 2006 Impala, and aside from a power steering issue that was repaired in a few hours (and Chevy had issued a TSB for the known problem), it has needed only routine maintenance.

The 08 Malibu is a very good looking car and should be a success for Chevy. Honda has also put together an attractive package with the 08 Accord. When it comes time to replace my Impala, I plan to look at the Malibu and the Accord.
    I still don;t get it when people are raving about the looks of the 08 Malibu the back end just looks too flat to me from the pics anyway.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you drive mostly highway at steady speed, you may not notice a BIG difference in MPG.
    If you drive in bumper to bumper gridlock and do a lot of stop and go city driving, you will save a lot of gas with the 4 cylinder. There real world mileage difference grows the more stop and go city driving you do.
    Thats about $500-1000 increase. Not bad, considering new features (LX-P is more comparable to SE).
    Thats about $500-1000 increase. Not bad, considering new features (LX-P is more comparable to SE).

Well it's a $470 increase on the EX but a $770 increase on the EX-L. And I don't know that the new model really has that many new features that the 2007.

$770 is a bit pricey for a new body IMO. But if you want the latest....

Speaking of which, do we know when the new prices will be out??
    New body, upgraded engine, more up-to-date interior (some like, some dont), I'm guessing more refinement.
    Well it's a $470 increase on the EX but a $770 increase on the EX-L. And I don't know that the new model really has that many new features that the 2007.

It does. In addition to leather wrapped steering wheel and leather trimmed heated seats, here are additional upgrades included as standard features in EX-L compared to EX...
    -Dual Zone Climate Control (versus manual AC in EX)
    -Auto-dimming rear view mirror
    -Upgraded audio system (160W/6-speaker in EX, 270W/7-speaker in EX-L)
    -XM Radio
    - And minor features like headlamp auto on/off (EX gets auto-off only) and compass.

These are adding only $300. OTOH, auto-dimming mirror itself is a $343 accessory for 2007, now standard in EX-L and above.

Speaking of price, my 1998 Accord EX-L was about $23.7K including destination, about a grand more than the new LX-P. And the new LX-P will put my 1998 Accord EX-L to shame in terms of feature list, except for not having moonroof and leather seats. And that is a decade later!
    That's the biggest load of bull I've heard since I left the farm. No one is going to buy a car that they don't like the exterior of. Not to say some guys don't like the old Accord- but that proves my point.
    And the LED tailights made the Accord even more bland, and an even bigger copy cat.
    Lately everyone's been beating me up on the styling of the Accord, and it's wearing me down. The Accord is startng to look a little bland. But it still has an Upscale look.
    But from day one I would have gotten the 08 Malibu over the 08 Accord. They will be equal competitors, and when that happens, you go on looks. But I'm not in this market.
    No, the only domestic that are as reliable or more reliable as Honda or Toyota/Lexus are Buick and Caddy I think judging by JD Powers surevy of 3 yr old cars from the 2004 model year. I really don;t like JD Power reliability surveys because they count a complaint such as an owner of a car complaing about a rough ride as a mechanical problem I think.

Another one putting Honda high and mighty on their rock. Ford beat Honda in it's 2007 quality study. You don't like JD power? (not a big fan either) It's happening EVERYWHERE. CR, MT, C&D-all are saying that American and German and Korean models that were never on par with the Japanese now are- or better.
    But that's a little off from the subject. I think the new Malibu will take back some serious market share from the Japanese competition. The Accord will probably not do any better than it has done.
    That's the biggest load of bull I've heard since I left the farm. No one is going to buy a car that they don't like the exterior of. Not to say some guys don't like the old Accord- but that proves my point.

Oh, silly me.

I should've known you would know what I like and don't like about my car better than I would.

Forgive me. :surprise: :confuse: :sick:

And the LED tailights made the Accord even more bland, and an even bigger copy cat.

Of course - copy cat. Since all the other cars in this thread have them, right? The 6, Legacy, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Fusion, Malibu, G6, Altima all have them, right? ONE other car has them, and it debuted approximately the same time as the Accord with LEDs did - the Milan. Mercury didn't 'copycat' anyone with LEDs, and neither did Honda.
    "Another one putting Honda high and mighty on their rock."

I;m not putting on a high and mighty level its fact that they are one of the reliable car brands that you can buy from.

"Ford beat Honda in it's 2007 quality study."

What quality study did Ford beat Honda in? I didn;t see a survey in which Ford beat Honda in a quality study.

"C&D-all are saying that American and German and Korean models that were never on par with the Japanese now are- or better."

The Santa Fe is on par with the Honda CR-V in my opinion. Yes I would buy a Santa Fe over a CR-V probably. The Kia Sedona is a nice little mini-van too. I like the Hyundai Elantra but the styling of it emulates the blandest of the bland-The Toyota Corolla which spoils the whole car for me.

I think the Saturn Aura or Ford Fusion could be on par with the Japanese mid-sizers I;m not sure. The Aura is executed well on the inside and packaged well and the Fusion looks good from the outside and has an ok interior but not my style.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    With due respect to all cars, and their respective owners, with LED tailights - give me cheap incandescent lamps anytime over LEDs. Cheaper to replace, and the control and driver circuitry is also much cheaper. LEDs are great until the control and driver circuits start having problems, and they eventually will. It will cost a lot more than going to Wally World to buy a single 1136 bulb. Sometimes, actually most often, more complex is not necessarily better. BTW . . . The father of the Light Emitting Diode (Dr. Nick Holonyak) is a professor of physics/engineering here at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).
    LEDs dont need replacing nearly as often as a bulb though, true? And, when one LED goes out, I've still got dozens of others lighting up.

Sure, it is one case where Honda chose fashion over form. It's not the norm for them, but I like the uniqueness of my taillamps compared to other cars on the road. Most cars with LEDs are luxury cars (exceptions being Nissan Murano, Mercury Milan, Toyota 4Runner, Camry Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, and Scion tC (although the Scion's are BUTT UGLY to me. Not many $20k cars have them though.
    I think the new Malibu will take back some serious market share from the Japanese competition. The Accord will probably not do any better than it has done.

I sure do hope you're right. I hope the Malibu is a giant hit and that the Accord sales tank right out of the gate.

That means I'll be able to get a really good deal on a new Accord with lots of incentives and low interest financing! :)

I wouldn't touch a Malibu except if I'm renting a car. In 5 years if the Malibu re-sale value is higher than an Accord, perhaps I'll reconsider... I won't hold my breath for that to happen, however.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Look,most of us here are accord owners and fans. As long as the car is not hideous we will be buying them. We like the look,feel,and resale. Go buy want you want.
    This clown is a dreamer. Ford beat Honda?? That is laughable! Ford may have tied in JD surveys for first 90 days of ownership (i.e. When nothing goes wrong) but i know of no survey which shows Ford ahead in the long term (i.e what most people care about)!
This discussion has been closed.