Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    You might want to read the 4vs6 forum on the accord. It will tell you alot more on their than on this forum.

Yes, the 4 versus 6 seems to be broken down into two camps; The Grocery Getter 4s versus the I wanna go fast 6. I have both and the difference between the 6 and the 4 in midrange and highway is very apparent, In local traffic, not so much so.

Glenn
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    I checked the website- nothing new.

Anybody know if Honda plans to salvage this "loser so far" of a product?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe they will get a version of Microsoft's system next year. Ford has exclusive rights to it until November 2008 and markets it as "Ford SYNC," but anyone can get it after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYKKRi_KaA

It is much better than the Music Link.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Actually they are bringing the music link back. This time no TTS software for itunes. Could be by next year. They said november but I'd say next year. It might have some improvements but it's probably going to be the same.
  • japsjaps Member Posts: 29
    Most of you should know that dealer invoice is NOT true dealer cost.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Source?
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    Well, this black beauty now sits in my garage. Drove it home 65 miles on the NYS thruway this afternoon.

The only thing I can say is I am just blown away. The styling, the technology, the speed and power- it's the fastest car I've ever driven, with plent of guts all thru the range. I have had seven Hondas in my immediate family group over the past 10 years, and this coupe is so far ahead of the rest it's not even a contest.

Those who find fault must really have driven some truly fantastic cars.
    It drove pretty well and I was satisfied with it. I prefer the smooth and soft LX-P fabric to the bumpy more coarse fabric on the EX and the LX seems like a good value price wise. Performance with 177 HP and automatic was adequate.
    I then drove a 2008 Malibu 4 cylinder and it drove better, looked better and had a quieter and smoother ride, but I'm still leaning towards the Accord because of the resale value and a much roomier back seat with fold down armrest.
  • bernicecbernicec Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm trying to get the 08 LX at the best price possible. which dealership did you go to?
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
    I'm looking to buy an '08 LX and I was wondering what was the best price that people have gotten. I've read all these posts for getting it at $250 over invoice and I wanted to know how you do it!? I was at a dealership today and it was impossible to get the price anywhere near the invoice price I found online earlier!!
    If you live in the OC or any nearby areas, it'd be really fantastic if you have a dealership you want to recommend to me. Also, if you DO live near the OC, avoid the manager at the Santa Ana Honda Dealership, he was the rudest man I've ever met who lied through his teeth: my worst experience at a dealership EVER!! :mad:
    Thanks so much everyone and enjoy your Accords!! :) :shades:
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Hi, I'm trying to get the 08 LX at the best price possible. which dealership did you go to?

08 LX, 5 spd, in stock unit, Polished Metal/Black Cloth
    $20,100 + $95 doc fee.
    Every car from this dealer gets the bumper to bumper warranty extended to 4/50k plus free car washes 6 days a week, loaners for service visits, discount oil changes, etc.
    Gerrish Honda, Lebanon NH
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I see people talking about Accord LX-S. What does the LX-S have over the regular LX .
    THANKS
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    I bought mine at DCH Honda of Temecula and had a positive experience. But don't just walk in and deal with the sales people. You need to go through the internet sales department and exchange email for a while to get down to the best deal. Let them know what you're willing to pay, and that there's no reason for you to show up down there until the price (relative to invoice) is agreed upon. This is how I did it, and when I got there I was immediately given the price we had agreed upon. My total time doing paperwork was only about 20 minutes. If interested, send me an email and I'll give you the name of the Internet Sales Manager. Good Luck.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A little research goes a long way, nova. For the sedan, it is LX-P. For the coupe, LX-S.

LX-P Sedan

LX-S Coupe
    Yeah that'd be fantastic! By the way, when you got your accord for $500 over invoice, was it the older model or the newer one? Since I'm trying to get the '08 one it seems to be a harder bargain to drive. My email is berbs4@yahoo.com if you can email me the Internet Sales Manager.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    Wondering why a trip computer is not available on any model. Everything else is.
    Do you need to upgrade to a nav system for this option? And will it compute real-time mpg?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The Navigation system-equipped Accords incorporate trip computers. Yes, they display real-time mpg.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Honda NAVI does caculate real time MPG and it is pretty much accurate and equal to the manually calculated MPG. I love Honda technology.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    It is accurate, but only after substantial miles on the tank. Between full tank fillups, what it shows is fairly close to calculated numbers (in my TL, so I expect it to be in the Accord too).
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    My Nav MPG calculations are only one mile per gallon off from the read out and my normal calculations. Not bad in my opinion

08 EX-L Nav Automatic sedan
  • noreservenoreserve Member Posts: 1
    Why not let a dealer locate one for you and have it trucked to your dealership? Even if you had to pay something to get it shipped, it would be worth it to me to get the car I want and not settle for something else. There is also the option of a flight into Atlanta or other major metro area that has coupes and then drive back.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    My 2005 Accord's trip computer and MPG calc is also very accurate, so I would expect the 2008's to be certainly equal to or better than my 2005. But, in all honesty, the trip computer in our old 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES was also very accurate as to MPG calc - typically within 0.5 MPG after 300 miles. This technology has been proven and quite good for a number of years.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Saw a black '08 sedan with an add-on (non-Honda) spoiler and a pin stripe that wandered around without regard to the overall body - looks like some dealer was maxing out the price, at the expense of a bad-looking car :sick:
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    SR1945,

When you just fill up gas, the MPG calculation resets itself and is a bit inaccurate for just a little while. But after about 5 - 10 mile drive, the MPG is reset and is very accurate. I do manual calculation many times and it is equal to the calculation by Navi. If it is off "1 mile per gallon" to the manual calculation something may be wrong. It should not be that way. Check it out.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    Interesting you mentioned this viet...

Have not noticed the NAV mileage reseting itself after a fill up. Did not take notice of this. I reset the trip computer by hand for the both of them after a fill up, and drive on, and do not bother looking at the mileage indicator with the Nav system until later on.

I still think 1 mpg off the shown mpg on the nav system is pretty good, and did not think it would be perfect in showing the exact mpg as many have said they have not noticed either.

Interesting that you are getting the same reading from your own calculations and the Nav systems
  • coliphagecoliphage Member Posts: 10
    just bought a 08 accord coupe with automatic trans.

the trans doesn't shift very smooth, I can always feel it when the car shifts. It hesitates a little before shift. There is also some whining noise at low speed. Is this normal?
    Thanks
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    If you look back at this forum, there are many other posts which seem to establish that Accord auto trannys are a bit whinny. I have the I4 sedan and it is whinny. With regard to shifting, I think you can feel the gears shifting in almost every car. Unless you get the new variable transmission in a Nissan product, you are going to feel the shifts. However, unless your shifting under hard acceleration, the shifts should not be abrupt. . . they are noticeable, but should not be harsh. What worries me about your post in the issue of delay. My Honda's shifts are not delayed at all - they are very swift and positive feeling. IMHO, the Honda auto transmission is very smooth compared to other manufacturer's transmissions. If its clunky or abrupt of if you are getting any significant lag between shifts, I'd take it to your dealership to make sure all is well!
    Not sure about whining noise, but Honda's transmissions are generally firmer shifting, more so in cold weather. But at the same time, they will smooth out after a few thousand miles. 2-3-4-3-2 shifts in my 98 Accord (now with 184K miles) are virtually imperceptible under light throttle and has been for at least 175K miles. 1-2 shift will generally be noticeable, but also depends on how you accelerate. Under low throttle, you may not notice that either (eventually).

I also noticed a bit of hesitation in lower gears in the early days but it was history after 7-8K miles.
    "whining noise" = princess and the pea

With the audio system off, you will hear all kinds of otherwise unnoticeable subtle sounds in ANY vehicle.

RECOMMENDATION: Turn your radio on at low volume.
  • coliphagecoliphage Member Posts: 10
    I went to the dealer tonight and tested another new car (4 miles on the odo).
    This car shifts pretty the same way as mine.
    Maybe I shouldn't say "hesitation", it's less significant than that.
    This is my first brand new car, I thought new car should shift like silk :-D
    Maybe it will shift better after the break-in period.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Honda transmissions are more positive/abrupt in the way they shift. I find it very similar to my old Chevy Chevelle transmission, (with a shift kit installed). If you are used to something like a Toyota automatic transmission, where you can barely tell the shift has occurred, it will feel very different. I find however that the Honda transmission is easier to control (using the accelerator to affect shift points), than a Toyota type transmission. It took a while for me to get used to the first Honda I owned, but the more I drove it, the more I came to appreciate the way it worked. Maybe you will too, then maybe not.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    I went to the dealer tonight and tested another new car (4 miles on the odo).
    This car shifts pretty the same way as mine.
    Maybe I shouldn't say "hesitation", it's less significant than that.
    This is my first brand new car, I thought new car should shift like silk
    Maybe it will shift better after the break-in period

Honda's transmissions do have an audible whine - every Honda I've ever been in has it. Our 2004 Odyssey does it too. Honda just chooses to have more of the mechanical sounds transmitted to the cabin because many people (probably their engineers and product designers primarily!) like to hear it, including myself. There are times when the whining can be annoying, like on a smooth freeway...but, turning up the radio always works! As far as the abrupt shifting...when you say hesitation, what comes to mind is the older Ford and Chevy trannys that would hang up momentarily between gears. Is it really a hesitation, or does it hold the lower gears a bit longer than you are expecting it to? I've come to expect Honda's trannys to feel a bit more abrupt and stay in lower gears longer than other cars. It may smooth out, but it won't ever shift like a Lexus. The somewhat abrupt shifting lends to a more "positive" feel from the tranny, Honda's belief being that the driver should "feel" what's going on in the car. If you've ever driven a car with a high performance transmission - exotics, race cars, etc., this is how they shift. I have owned one Lexus and a few Toyota's, including our 2007 Sienna Limited we bought to replace our 2004 Odyssey which now has 57K on it. There is a huge difference in how the two vans shift. The Sienna, like all of my other Toyota/Lexus cars, shifts imperceptibly up to about 80% throttle, and beyond that, there is only the slightest sensation. It's nice, but every so often I take our Ody out for a spin to keep it from feeling neglected (it's parked - up for sale, so far no takers) and I have to admit I like feeling the shift. So I think Honda just chooses not to dial out all of the tactile sensations because it makes for a more involving experience. Neither extreme is perfect, in my opinion. But maybe that's why some people buy BMW's instead :shades:
  • royaltyroyalty Member Posts: 27
    OK. I called the dealer as driving with a bad Navigation unit was really started to piss me off and I felt they should have had a replacement unit received by now. The nav would freeze up at any time and if it froze at night and the screen went to daylight mode it was like a flashlight shining at your face that you could not shut off. They originally told me it could be 3 weeks but the dealer called and complained to California and they had a new unit by that Friday so it was two weeks of waiting for a new unit. The new unit was installed the very next day and they did a great job. You would not know the dash was worked on and they knocked it out in 1.5 hours. I will reserve full comments until summer when I will know if I have any new squeaks and rattles but until then I am pleased. The new navi works fine and now my bluetooth works all the time both calling out and receiving and transferring calls. I struggled with it before this and I now know it was because the unit was failing.
  • nkvnkv Member Posts: 24
    What you are experiencing is normal for this car. I have driven my '08 Accord V-6 for 600 miles so far. At first I felt the shifting was pretty tight. However, as I have approached this latest mileage, it definitely is shifting much more smoothly and I am sure it will improve some more as the transmission gets more usage. Nothing to worry!
  • genego1genego1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 08 EXL V6 Accord with about 200 miles on it and I have a noise coming from around the front of drivers side door or front pillar or that vicinity but I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It sounds like it maybe a plastic piece that is under stress and at the beginning of an acceleration or braking action you get this creaking like noise - not loud but very subtle. The sound system must be turned down. I tried pushing on the dash, door, and headliner pieces try to stop it but it does not stop it.

I will take it in to the dealer to get it looked at. I hope it can be located and corrected since the exact location is vague. Just for information this Accord was made in Alabama in 9/07. If anyone else has something like this please respond.

I really, really like this car and previously owned 2 Accords 12 yrs each and had an 04 Toyota Camry XLE for 4 yrs and traded it in for the 08 Accord. XLE was a little too mushy for me and I wanted a tighter handling car. The engine power and drive is great in the Accord.
    after trying for a few days to get the auto door lock/unlock reset using the instructions in the manual, I popped by my dealership and the tech did it for me. Not sure what he did differently but now it doesn't autolock anymore which is just what I wanted.
  • def56def56 Member Posts: 6
    I'm having same problem as Sporin using ipod through auxillary jack.

Bought two '08 Accords and its doesn't work on either. Only if volume on iPOD and radio turned up all the way does anything come out of the speakers.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    IPod -- I have one suggestion that I found was a problem with two of the I-pods that I have plugged into my system. The 1/8" stereo jack that comes out of the IPod is often corroded. Wiggle the jack around and do whatever is necessary to make sure there is a solid electric connection between the cable and the IPod. These plugs are divided between left and right channels and you must make sure that the entire plug is clean.

Of course, this is just a shot in the dark. But, I've noticed it happening more than one time, with more than one IPod. Plus, if neither of your Honda's work, then it likely is a problem with the IPod, not the car(s). Good Luck!
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    Does the 4 cyl engine in the Accord noticeably "perk up" after a reasonable break-in period? I took an 08 EX 4cyl manual out for a spin last night (currently drive an 02 4cyl Accord, wife has a Mazda5 manual). Impressions were it is large, solid, brakes are better than previous Hondas, clutch and shifting were effortless and buttery-smooth. But I found the engine a little sleepy in lower revs. For comparison we had an 02 CR-V with basically the same engine (less hp but CR-V geared lower) and I remember it having more punch from 2-4k rpm. I also remember the Mazda5 being "sleepy" when we first got it and it noticeably perked up after ~5000 miles.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ya, it should, my 06 4cyl, is very perky, I love it.
  • def56def56 Member Posts: 6
    bug4,

Thanks for suggestion. Ipod jack is clean and there isn't any play when plugged in..
    Same here on the jack. We've taken to cranking the iPod volume to about 80% and using a lower stereo volume. Seems to work ok now.

Still haven't managed to make an MP3 disk that works 100% right though. The last one I made had 128 songs on it, burned via iTunes using MP3 settings. It plays fine in iTunes and on a computer but int eh Accord stops after about 60 then just scrolls slowly through the trest of the numbers. Not sure what's up with that. All the files are MP3's.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    The MP3 problem may be the specific disk media. My '03 Oddysey refuses to recognize certain types of DVD or CD writables reliably. Different brands, no trouble. It generally seems to like the gold colored CDR's . Also, try creating the disk by just dragging (copying, not moving) the MP3's directly to the writable CD and burn a data disk.
    Good tips, I will try that this week. :)
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Is lumbar support adjustment (manual or power) provided on the 2008 Accord Sedan (auto) LX or LX-P?
    According to page 5 here, a power lumbar support for the driver's seat is only available on the EX or EX-L. There is no mention of a manual lumbar support.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2008/accord-sedan/downloads/2008-accord-seda- n-factsheet.pdf
  • rahenigerahenige Member Posts: 7
    Now that Honda has discontinued the Accord Hybrid, does anyone know if and when Honda will sell a diesel Accord in the U.S.? From what I can find, Honda has been selling a diesel Accord in Europe (slightly smaller car) since 2004 and the 2.2L engine gets 52mpg.
    It should be here in about a year or so, but don't place your bets on getting 52 mpg here. To start with, 52 mpg is based on a completely different standard than EPA rating is here. To make it worse, it is using imperial gallons (20% bigger than standard). And finally, there may be a little more to lose in fuel economy with stricter emissions requirements on diesel. Still, it should be good enough for at least 20% better fuel economy than gasoline version.
    I thought they were getting 60+ mpg in their version of testing and their units of measurement, so around 50 MPG U.S is possible.
This discussion has been closed.