Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    It is quite depressing to look at the Accord sideway or from the rear; it looks so flat and blank; very much like the yester years Saturn.

Accord designer should know that Pratt Pitt left Jen. A. because of her rear. They should super size the rear profile of the accord, make it bigger, higher, something from Jenifer Lopez.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, what I don't understand why they didn't use the same design type they used for the coupe on the sedan. It wouldn't have hurt anything... It is like they wanted the sedan to look tame, compared to the coupe. I think the 08 Coupe in red or the Belize blue pearl, is beautiful!! I am going to put my whole family (5people) in the coupe, and see how everyone fits, I might get the coupe. It looks like it has alot of fun factor!!
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Five member family in the coupe, good luck! I tried it before going with the sedan. The back seats are small, and I think rightfully so since it is supposed to be a sporty coupe. I am very happy with my sedan but also think the coupe looks very sharp.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We just bought a 2008 Accord EX for my wife. We test drove Sonata, Camry, and Accord. Accord's sporty ride, wider stance, roomier and rich interior, curvy exterior lines made it a winner. Sonata was a great driving car. Sonata has the best drving position and seat comfort. No fault with interior, the exterior is bland. The 72 months 0% of Sonata did not fair well when compared to Accord's exterior lines. We added the spalsh guards and the body side molding. It will be replacing her 2000 Lincoln LS.

I am pleased that Honda has switched to timing chain which knocks off some maintenance cost down the road with timing belt replacement.

One disappointing thing about the EX is it does not have the outside temp readout. At $24,500 MSRP, this feature should be expected. I know EX-L has the feature, but I consider this a safety item when driving in near freezing temprature and Honda should make it standard in the Accord.

Joe
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If the outside temperature is low enough for ice to form, I think I would know it, and would be alert to the possibility. Knowing the exact outside temperature is not going to make the ice melt, so I don't see how it would make a difference. At what exact temperature does ice form on a particular road? I don't think anyone can tell you that, so knowing the exact temperature is unnecessary, IMO. Maybe it's just because I live in the South, and freezing temperatures are not an everyday occurance, but I see the temperature readout to be a gadget that will never be needed. I wanted the leather seats, but there are a few things that came with them, I could have easily done without. So I guess it's impossible to please everyone. You wanted it, and didn't get it. I didn't want it, but paid for it anyway. Life's a beach ain't it?
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I have n 03 Accord and e also have a 2000 Avalon and the temperature guage is one of the three best things about the car. In western New York temperature is very important. whether it is -2 or 98 I want toknow. the other valuable items are the grocery net and the sunroof. I will not have another car that does not include all three
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Down South the temp isn't as important. I never want the sunroofs,but I do like the leather and the universal remote. Pay your money and take their(Honda's) choice.
    In western New York temperature is very important. whether it is -2 or 98 I want toknow.

I would really like to know why knowing the exact temperature is so important? I can usually tell what the temperature is from the morning weather forecast within 5 degrees. Why would it be so important to be closer than that? What about your driving is going to change according to the temperature? Sorry, I just don't see the great value of it, regardless where you live.
  • gjagja Member Posts: 28
    I've read dozens of reviews of the Accord and am very surprised that there isn't more written about the noise. Have others experienced high noise?

I too have been surprised at the amount of wind noise in an 08 EX-AT. Road noise depends on the road surface and tires, but the wind noise is clearly evident. It seems to come from the A pillars.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    During a recent trip to RI in my 08 EX-L V6 I made a point to consider the various noise levels as they have been mentioned frequently in this forum. Wind noise was not as apparent as tire noise, and neither were overly objectionable. It is far from tomb-like, but when compared to various VW's and domestic sedans that are direct competitors the noise levels are on par with these vehicles.
    Traveling in New England I feel better knowing the temperature at a glance. During the winter months I will make minor adjustments in my driving style knowing that what appears as dry black pavement will have an occasional patch of "black ice". It's more of a convenience item then a necessity, but I've grown accustomed to having this bit of environmental awareness available at a glance.
  • dlk6003dlk6003 Member Posts: 8
    I agree totally - in fact the wind/road noise is what prevented me from purchasing an '08 EXL V6. While I had been driving an '06 CR-V SE and was accustomed to the interior noise level my husband was totally put off and made a good argument for the fact that a car with the level of refinement the Accord has should have a much better noise supression. I ended up buying a Solara SE V-6 w/leather and love the car - just miss 4 doors and didn't want a Camry....
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    FWIW, I live in central Texas. Depending on the time of year, we may get temperature drops of 30 degrees within an hour or two. Knowing the outside temp is not a necessity, but it sure is nice.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    My 2008 Lancer not only has the outside temperature gauge, it also warns me of potential icy roads whenever the outside temperature is 37 degrees or colder. When you start the car the pictograph display between the speedometer and tachometer changes color, beeps, and displays a picture of a snowflake over a road with the words POSSIBLE ICY ROADS.

It's a very nice warning to have, and prompts me to be more careful when driving on wet roads that could have slick spots.

I'm surprised the Accord doesn't have this feature.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    When you start the car the pictograph display between the speedometer and tachometer changes color, beeps, and displays a picture of a snowflake over a road with the words POSSIBLE ICY ROADS.

It sounds pretty over the top. A temp gauge is one thing - but I have enough beeps and warnings in my Accord (seatbelt, key-in-ignition, lights-on, emergency brake left-on) that I don't feel the need for more distractions than I already have. Trust me, when I get in my car I KNOW its cold (although I'm a meteorology intern at our local ABC television affilliate so maybe I'm an exception to the rule ;)).

It sounds sort of like the "blinker still on" warning chime that would go off in my dad's old LeBaron Convertible. At many traffic lights his car would start bonging because he still had his signal on - but the light hadn't turned green yet! :surprise:
    Not over the top at all. The warning is displayed for less than 10 seconds when you first start the car and then the pictograph reverts to whatever you had previously displayed (trip computer, mileage, distance to empty, etc.). It doesn't constantly beep at you. The only time it ever comes on while driving is if the outside temperature drops below 38 degrees after you have started your trip. And no, it doesn't constantly activate if the temperature wavers between 37 and 38 degrees.

IMO it's a great safety feature that should be standard in all cars.
    I'm glad it isn't standard in cars - I wouldn't care for it. Here in the south, even if it does drop to 37 (the HIGH today is 35 here in Birmingham) it is never wet. In fact, our last measurable snowfall was eight (yes EIGHT) years ago in Jan. of 2000.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i can't believe all the back and forth over a thermometer...so i'll start a new one!

the one thing i wish honda would have adopted on the new accord is intelligent key. my g35 has it and i will definitely miss that if i opt for an accord coupe. sounds ridiculous...but once you get used to not having to fish the keys out of your pocket to start the car, you won't wanna go back!
    That was actually one of the improvements I was expecting (hoping?) on the 08 Accord, but did not get it. I think it is still better than the key for the 08 Acra TL, thought, it has a release button and jumps out of the remote entry box, kind of like a knife jumping out of the holder if you've seen one.
    sounds like a key fob similar to what vw has been using for awile now...

btw, i also wish honda would have put HIDs on the top line models...are at least made them an option.

speaking of headlanps...besides the flicker, how do you guys like 'em on your new accords?
    I would have liked the HID option as well. And as long as we are talking wish list, I had hoped for seat memory functionas well.

I like the lights on my Accord. I had auto light on/off on my Nissan Quest (who mentioned Quest again?!) and enjoyed it a lot. It is a nice feature to have. Could be annoying if you park in the garage as it goes on and off til you get out of the garage but that is a minor pet peeve.

P.S. I have not noticed the flickering yet, or is it only on the I4.
    The 08 headlights work fine for me, and my 6 cyl doesn't have any flicker. I never thought much about the convenience factor of an intelligent key, always figured the feature was driven by engineering capability not out of any need, but I could get used to having to reach into my pocket a few less times a day. I'm betting that these features, intelligent keys, HID lamps, high def audio, etc will probably be introduced at various stages until the next gen re-design. If you were to park an 07 next to an 08 and see side by side the dramatic change one year brought to the Accord, it would be easy for the marketing people to say lets hold on to some of these other goodies and release them over next few years.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    My only complaint with my 08 Accord's lights is the low-beams. I do mostly highway driving (often at night) in my Accord (explains why I already have 5000+ miles on the odometer :cry: ) The bright beams are very bright and very nice. But, the low beams are not sufficiently bright. Perhaps they are aimed improperly and are pointing either to far up or too far down --- but I don't think so. Rather, I think they simply aren't as bright as I wish they were!
    I think as far as the low beams, it's low to not blind oncoming drivers. High beams, they go all out because there should not be any oncoming drivers to blind when they are on. There is a big difference between high and low beams on my 03 as well. I think they could get away with making the low beams a little brighter though. I've had cars with brighter low beams before, and I was constantly being flashed by other drivers who thought my high beams were on. There is a fine line, but I think the Accords are well below that line.
    It sounds sort of like the "blinker still on" warning chime that would go off in my dad's old LeBaron Convertible. At many traffic lights his car would start bonging because he still had his signal on - but the light hadn't turned green yet!

That reminds me of one relative who had a Maxima. The car would tell her things like "door is ajar" or "fuel is low". Once when I was in the car the voice came on saying "fuel is low", and she started shouting at the car, "I know the fuel is low" "I can see the fuel gauge" " I will get some gas, OK" "Shut the He** up!". It was funny to me, but I think it was very irritating to her. Just another example of mostly useless gadgets, that are more often an irritation than a help. I wonder if Maximas still do this crap.
    That reminds me of one relative who had a Maxima. The car would tell her things like "door is ajar" or "fuel is low". Once when I was in the car the voice came on saying "fuel is low", and she started shouting at the car, "I know the fuel is low" "I can see the fuel gauge" " I will get some gas, OK" "Shut the He** up!". It was funny to me, but I think it was very irritating to her. Just another example of mostly useless gadgets, that are more often an irritation than a help. I wonder if Maximas still do this crap.

No, I remember riding in one of the Maximas from that era though. The current Maximas are very nice automobiles (a friend of mine has a base model 3.5SE with cloth that is very nice).
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I'm showing my age here . . . but, the first car I ever drove which had an ice warning device was a P6 Rover - to be specific, a new 1967 Rover 2000TC. It had an "IceAlert" system which coupled a sensor unit mounted beneath the front bumper to a warning light on the dashboard. It was really an effective system, but very simple compared to today's electronics. Personally, I think all cars should have an exterior temp readout, and most do, especially those with trip computers.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It sounds pretty over the top.

I'll chime in. My Passat has an outside temp gauge and also "bongs" between 39 and 22 degrees and then displays a snowflake next to the temp. It only does so once and only when entering that range. It's not a bother. In fact, it barely makes that sound between December and March because the temp is in that range that entire time.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's funny (to me) listing to what is so important to just a few people that doesn't matter a twit to the vast majority of people.

I guess Honda could make a 50,000 Accord and they still wouldn't please everybody.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    I guess Honda could make a 50,000 Accord and they still wouldn't please everybody.

Exactly... For all the features that are 'left off' the Accord, I believe Honda has a solution. They call it Acura.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    You expect Honda and Toyota to pay attention to details and gagets. If you are making ABS, traction control, and brake assist standard in Accord, it is not too much to ask for outside temp read out.

Putting black door handles/mirrors, and no power seat on CRV EX is my other complaint. Honda used to use black door handle on Civic DX years ago. Black door handles/mirrors look cheap.

I do not consider Honda a company that cuts corners. I bet some missing little things are saved to become std for 2009-2010MY

Joe
    If you are making ABS, traction control, and brake assist standard in Accord, it is not too much to ask for outside temp read out.

These are all active safety features which help you prevent an accident. The temperature gauge is likely viewed by most as a luxury item.

Safety and luxury are not the same thing. Hyundai proves that by offering a ton of safety equipment for low-priced bargain models.

As far as the black handles, it's more of a rough and rugged look IMO. Look at other SUV type vehicles, it is common to have black plastic trim that can't be scratched or chipped like paint can. (Remember the black bumper of the 2002-2006 CR-V? My dad LOVED it because it couldn't get chips on the interstate).
    Another (in my opinion) petty complaint.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a customer complain to me
    about black door handles and mirrors?

Very few people care. I know I sure don't mind these on my EX CRV.

You could have bought an EXL with leather and then you wouldn't have black handles and mirrors.

Can't please everyone, that's for sure.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The SmartKey in the Altima was actually a turn off for me, I hate carrying things around in my pockets so it woudl be an annoyance for me.

I wish the Accord had outside temp as well, I've had it on a number of cars and I find it useful. That said, not having it certainly wasn't a deal breaker or anything.

I also think that in the current "green" climate where focus is once again shifting to MPG for a lot of folks, a good Multifunction Trip Computer like my 98 Passat had should be in every car at this price pint.,

It was just simple thing but it kept your average speed, average MPG, outside temp, and a few other data points. You accessed it from the stalk and could cycle through the various readouts. I really liked that and it certainly couldn't be expensive for the manufacturer.

Just my opinion.
    The SmartKey in the Altima was actually a turn off for me, I hate carrying things around in my pockets so it woudl be an annoyance for me.

Soooo, you don't carry keys in your pockets? With the Altima, it means as long as they are on your person, you can get in and crank the vehicle. With keys, you still have to have them on your person, but you have to fish them out of your pocket/purse/bag and then use them.

I don't have a car with the intelligent key system, but I can't see how it adds something in your pockets that you wouldn't already have.
    Outside temperature gauge, intelligent key, trip computer, air pressure monitors, and power seats (and probably some more I haven't thought of). All things I would not pay an extra dime for, if I didn't have to. The unnecessary gadgets keep adding up, and so do the buttons to operate them. I have a feeling Honda would like to keep it simple (remember that slogan?) for people like me, but they are forced to give the majority of consumers, who just have to have every gadget they can get their hands on, what they want. I hate to think about all the extra crap I'm going to have to pay for in my next car. My 03 may have to last forever. :sick:
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    I am unable to comprehend why people want an outside temp gage other than being "bling" factor. Would that gage make that much of a driving difference other than to show it off?
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    Unable to comprehend? Let me help since you must live in FL or CA. Does the difference between 31 degrees and 33 degrees ring a bell? Freezing bridges and overpasses? To me the outside temp reading is a safey feature I would not live without.
    " Would not live without" ???

Oh, give me a break! It freezes where I live and I don't need a temp guage to tell me to be careful!

I KNOW when it's cold!
    If there's a chance it could be freezing (under 40) I'm going to go ahead and take the precautions. It takes some amount of time for a layer of ice to melt. The temperature being 33 doesn't necessarily mean there won't be ice. Sleet can fall and begin to accumulate with temps in the upper 30s, to near 40.

Also, there's a range of error on the thermometers. I wouldn't take them as gospel. (If they were always perfect, there wouldn't be a way to adjust them up or down as much as five degrees like there is on the Honda).
    Does the difference between 31 degrees and 33 degrees ring a bell?

So if you get in your car at 7:00 am, and the readout says 35, you think you're safe? I don't think I would depend on that. Just because the temperature is 40 degrees where you are driving at the moment, that doesn't mean it wasn't much lower a couple of hours ago. In this kind of situation an outside temperature gauge could actually make a driver think he is safe, when he isn't.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Real sad day today.

I only have 160 miles on my 2008 and some weird noise from the rear door panel behind the driver's seat. Sounds like it's because of the hard plastics used in the door panel.

And I also have the fan whistles or hissing noise from the fan behind the glove box.

I had enough with the 2004 I returned to the dealer and hope that this new generation will be better, but no luck, at least in my case.

Does anyone has the same issues which know how to fix?

Thanks in advance.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    I have this exact same problem too. It seems like it from the rear door panel behind the driver seat, and I would say it is the hard plastics used. It happens when accelerating from a stop, very noticeable.

I'm pretty sure if I take it back to the dealer, they're going to say it's normal or it's the "characteristics" of this car.

Does anyone know a fix for this. Very annoying and frustrating.

I only have 160 miles on this new 2008.

Thanks.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    For me, like many things, a temperature gauge is a nice to have, but not a deal killer. I wish my Accord had numerous other things, such as a trip computer, or struts on the trunk, but none of these things stopped me from buying the Accord. Face it, no car is going to be exactly what you want.

Like many people, I also have an temperature gauge in my home, not for any sort of safety reason, I just like to know how hot or cold it is.

Some people feel just as strongly for other features, say radio controls on the steering wheel. Would I have still bought the Accord if it didn't have these controls? Yes. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate having them. Different strokes for different folks.
    Some people want this feature, some want that feature, still more people want the next, and so on, and so on. When does it become too much, and when is it not worth the cost? Are you willing to pay extra for 30 gadgets, to get the 3 you think are useful? It seems if they are going to add one, they have to add them all, or people who wanted that one feature (that was left out) are disappointed. Where does it end? When is enough enough? Very soon, I fear enough (for the car makers) is going to be far far more than what I consider enough. Maybe I am alone in seeing where this is headed.
    Well, for the time being, I think the 08 Accord v6 exl w/ navi beats the 08 TL w/ navi in the features department. A friend of mine just bought the TL and comparing it to my EXL, I noticed the Accord has more features, at least in the navi and mp3 play back department. That is, of course, until the 09 TL shows up!
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I have not tested the MP3 in my V6 EX-L but the CD is awesome. Sometimes, it appeared my '02 driver seat slided when the car is turned. But no issue for my '08 for now.
    where it is all headed is hopefully toward more flexible manufacturing and therefore more flexible options ordering. and yes i know all the buzz about it's easier/cheaper/faster to package these options with those options, etc...but changes in the way cars are made should allow for more ala carte optioning in the future. the first car maker to again offer ala carte optioning will have a step up on the competition.
    Outside temperature gauge, intelligent key, trip computer, air pressure monitors, and power seats (and probably some more I haven't thought of). All things I would not pay an extra dime for, if I didn't have to. The unnecessary gadgets keep adding up, and so do the buttons to operate them.

Yep, all those unnecessary gadgets like power windows, power door locks, cruise control, power steering, power brakes, etc. Why would anyone need anything more than an AM radio in their car??? It boggles the mind that car makers continue to add gadgets like headlights! Do you really need to drive in the dark? And don't get me started on those new-fangled electronic turn signals. Stick your arm out the damn window when you want to make a turn! Electronic starter? Oh my goodness, get out and hand crank your engine like a man!

Geez...unnecessary gadgets all of them. :P
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Soooo, you don't carry keys in your pockets? With the Altima, it means as long as they are on your person, you can get in and crank the vehicle. With keys, you still have to have them on your person, but you have to fish them out of your pocket/purse/bag and then use them.

I don't have a car with the intelligent key system, but I can't see how it adds something in your pockets that you wouldn't already have.

I have 3 or 4 keys on the same ring as my car key, when I'm driving (sitting down), these keys are hanging from the dash, not in my pocket. :shades:

I don't mind keys in my pocket when I'm standing but hate having them in there when I'm sitting.
This discussion has been closed.