Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    I have the seat protectors, two of them from one step ahead. They work fine in my EX-L, keep the seats nice and clean from the kids.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Did you not test drive the car before purchase? Wind noise and low-speed acceleration would be pretty obvious during a test-drive I'd think.

Your car accelerating from a stop more slowly than your previous Accord (which was listed at 160 horses before the new SAE hp test methods were put in place, today it'd list around 156) is because the amount of torque (the force that gets you moving at low RPMs) your car generates is no better than your old one, but your new car weighs around 10% more. Your car has more horsepower, but peak horsepower in your car comes at 7000 RPM; that's why you never feel it from a stop.
  • jordi32jordi32 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I've been looking for a new 2008 Blue V6 Honda Accord with stick shift and finally today I located a dealer that has it in the lot. I asked to test drive it. I loved the acceleration power but I noticed there was a whistling noise. I asked the salesperson who rode the car with me and he said it was the engine whining up. He said this noise would go away after a while. I asked if this was normal and he said that it was because the Honda engines were very finely tuned. Would you please let me know if he was telling me the truth? I would appreciate it.
    Thank you very much.
    I look forward to your replies.
    Best regards,
    Jordi
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Wind noise: Hard to say if replacing the weatherstripping would solve this problem. You could affix a pair of those acrylic wind deflectors. Adding a nose bra might also change the wind dynamics.

Engine acceleration: I would guess that the '08 Accord is a good deal larger and heavier than your '03 LX, but the engine is only putting out 20hp more (not sure about how the two engines' torque compares, though). I wouldn't be surprised if acceleration suffers in comparison.

Sheesh. The '08 Accord has been on the top of my list of candidates, largely because of its roomy interior and how it stacks up against the competition (Camry, Malibu, etc.) on paper. After hearing all these various complaints, I can tell I'm going to have to put the Honda through a rigorous test drive. Also, I'll have to give the others more consideration than I had previously given.

It seems to me that those who complain most about the new Accord are previous Accord owners - those who have owned other makes seem to be very pleased with their purchases. It looks like whether or not you complain has at least some bearing on your point of reference. This suggests that I should perhaps consider an '07 rather than an '08. A nearby dealer still has a new '07 Accord Hybrid at a significant discount - hmmmmmmmm..... :confuse:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I kind of noticed a noise like that when I took out a 4cyl, it was the engine, it was very faint, and I drive an 06, and it doesn't do that, but you know what... it didn't sound bad at all, from what I heard, it was just the engine, it sounded normal. But, barely even noticeable, and if you did you would even think anything of it. But, perhaps your hearing something else. I just noticed the difference it engines.

I will say, that when I tried to pass in the demo car 4cy 08 accord with 3,000k on it. It really took some work to get it going, now my 06 accord 4cyl, really moves, and you don't have to do much. but the 08 seemed to be working a little different. Maybe it was still a little tight since it only had 3k on it. I am not sure. I am very impressed with the 06 4cyl power. I'll have to try the 08 4cyl again to see how it feels, when passing, and the power compared to my 06.
  • pt109spt109s Member Posts: 7
    I have an 08 Accord EX-L and the other day the compass was stuck on the "NE" so I went to the user manual and followed the direction to recalibrate it. You are supposed to push the menu puttong for 5 seconds ( until you hear a beep) while the key is in the II position. So the compass menu came up and I chose to calibrate. Ever since I did that, the compass has been stuck in calibrate mode ( it says "CAL and the Direction Flashes") and I am unable to return to the compass menu by holding down menu while the key is in position II on the ignition. Does anyone know how to reset the compass or to get back to that menu, I hate driving with the stupid thing blinking. Thanks
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    """After hearing all these various complaints, I can tell I'm going to have to put the Honda through a rigorous test drive. Also, I'll have to give the others more consideration than I had previously given. """"

Check out the Camry forums between March 2006 and early 2007- the launch of the 07 Camry produced the same if not more complaints than the new Accord - so it appears...

The early 07 Camry suffered everything from uneven panel gaps and loose interior trim - to engine hesitation and transmission failures...

I think Honda is doing better in the area of quality control than Toyota by far in terms of new vechile introductions- purely opinion :)
    Jan 2007 Comparo

I looked briefly at this link and couldn't find the numbers, but I have the issue in print, and can tell you that the numbers I quoted earlier for 0-60 is correct, at 8.1 sec.

The manual Accord did indeed do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, as seen in the Car and Driver link below.

Quickest cars under $20,000

And, I wasn't trying to be snippy about using the sources. I hope I didn't come off that way! ;)

Take care,
    TheGrad
  • according2u06according2u06 Member Posts: 95
    hmm are you sure your 03 is slower than your 08? I don't know. On paper, Car and Driver did 0-60 in 8.2 sec for the 08 EX auto in their last issue, and I believe the 160 hp 03 EX auto was tested something like 9.0 sec in their 0-60 run(consumer reports I think?). Assuming your LX was a tad faster given less weight, that still isn't as fast as your 08. Anyway, as others have said, your 08 might feel it's slower due to the gained weight and virtually the same torque, but it really isn't.
    As far as road and wind noise go, from what I heard there is a significant improvement in that area over the previous gen for the 08? :confuse:
    Where did you get your car from?
    It seems to me that those who complain most about the new Accord are previous Accord owners - those who have owned other makes seem to be very pleased with their purchases. It looks like whether or not you complain has at least some bearing on your point of reference. This suggests that I should perhaps consider an '07 rather than an '08. A nearby dealer still has a new '07 Accord Hybrid at a significant discount - hmmmmmmmm.....

If you are in the market now and don't care much about styling, I'd say go with a 07. For the price of an 08 EXL, you could probably get an 07 EXL V6 if you can still find one, drive around for 2 years(after the bugs are worked out) and trade it in in 2 years for a 'refreshed' 2011. :P

Stay away from the hybrid if resale value is of ANY concern.
    The 2007 Accord SE (166hp) ran 0-60 in 8.1 seconds in the same magazine that the 2008 Accord EX (190hp) ran it in 8.2. The 0-30 time was 2.7sec for the 07, 3.0sec for the 2008. The 03-07 Accords were quicker off the line.

When comparing acceleration times, use the same source, as they typically use the same launch methods. Consumer Reports always has slower times than C&D or Motor Trend because their method is just "stand on the gas," which isn't the quickest method of launch.

Let's just use apples to apples. :)
    Really? I thought the 06-07 (4 cyl auto here) did 0-60 in something like 8.5 sec and 03-05 were a litle slower due to lower hp rating? I know C&D did the 4cyl manual in 7.5. That I know, is faster than the 08 4cyl manual.

When comparing acceleration times, use the same source, as they typically use the same launch methods. Consumer Reports always has slower times than C&D or Motor Trend because their method is just "stand on the gas," which isn't the quickest method of launch.
    Good idea. I'll do so from now on. :)
    Thanks for the links. Somehow I couldn't seem to find the 0-60 time for 03-07 auto on their site before, but I just found it under performance chart in the link you provided. :D

As for the sources, I totally agree it's best to use the same source when comparing numbers(as mentioned, I just couldn't find the exact number for 03-07 from C&D). And no, I didn't find your post snippy. I'm not that into 0-60 anyway. Except for reference use, of course :P
    The passing times are a much more useful source as far as I'm concerned. It shows transmission performance and how well the engine and transmission are engineered together (gearing vs. power peaks, etc).

For comparison purposes, here ya go.

2007 Accord SE 5AT (166hp, 3177lbs)

30-50mph = 4.4s
    50-70mph = 5.9s
    0-30mph = 2.7s
    0-60mph = 8.1s
    5-60mph = 8.5s (this test exemplifies a standing start, with no launch technique, just standing on the gas)
    Top Speed = 130 mph (elec. limited)

2008 Accord EX (190hp, 3365lbs)

30-50mph = 4.5s
    50-70mph = 5.7s
    0-30mph = 3.0s
    0-60mph = 8.2s
    5-60mph = 8.7s
    Top Speed = 127mph (elec. limited)
    License Plate rattling perhaps? Just something to check...
  • macsanmacsan Member Posts: 27
    Nope, its tight and it still has the dealer plates on it! Its a sound like a loose bolt rattling but then its not. I'm going to try to get my wife to drive while I sit in the trunk to localize it. My neighbors will think we're nuts.
    Thanks thegrad, very interesting info! :)

So the 07 is indeed faster than the 08. It would be really interesting to see how the matchup would go if they made an 8th Gen SE with 190 horses though(maybe 09?).
    I just bought a new 08 Accord EX and I've had it for less than a week. The car is wonderful. There is only one thing, like you said it makes a noise from the trunk like a nut is loose back there and happens when I back out of my driveway, hit a bump or take a sharp right turn. Its been driving me nuts. I'm thinking its the thin flex rod that provides the spring in the trunk lid riding on that thin piece of sheet metal. Any answers, ideas before I go and jack the car up or leave it with the dealer?? Otherwise I love the car.
    Have you figured out what that noise is as I have it on my brand new 08 Accord EX sedan. It only happens when I go over a bump like a speed bump or going into your driveway. It also happens someetimes when iI turn right.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I'm going to try to get my wife to drive while I sit in the trunk to localize it. My neighbors will think we're nuts.

What ever it takes. :blush: The neighbors think you're nuts, and you think the neighbors are nuts. Isn't that normal? ;) Being nuts can be fun. :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    LOL, well do please give us a play by play!! :P

Good luck - hope it helps you figure it out.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Take it back to the dealer and have them check the struts
  • redvwredvw Member Posts: 40
    Does Honda offer an HD Radio option? If not how easily can it be added to the 2008 Accord?
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "Does Honda offer an HD Radio option?"

No.

"If not how easily can it be added to the 2008 Accord?"

Fairly easy if you know how to do installs.
    Well today I crawled into the trunk after putting the seat back down and had my wife back the car out of the driveway three times. The "thunk/popping" noise came from an area around the speaker housing near the "C" pillar on the driver's side.

I couldn't get in there without ripping out the speakers to look through that gap so its back to the dealers to have them look at it. I couln't find the top bolt to the strut without taking out the trunk liner. Right now I'm not going to touch it.

There are two others on this forum that had the same problem but I see there were no answers for them. Maybe it will go away! I'll keep you posted but if anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks. Brian
  • david131david131 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Brian
    I am getteing the same noise - like a bolt rattling. When I go over a bump faster I hear the spare and everything rattle. You too? Please let me know what you find out if you do. I will wait to hear the rest of your story to determine what i am going to do. You really cracked me and my wife up when we read your emails something we were going to do. By the way do you have a 4cyl or a v6.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    If you are in the market now and don't care much about styling, I'd say go with a 07. For the price of an 08 EXL, you could probably get an 07 EXL V6 if you can still find one, drive around for 2 years(after the bugs are worked out) and trade it in in 2 years for a 'refreshed' 2011.
    Not a bad strategy, but I've grown to shy away from trading every two years - I'm driving a '99 VW now so it'll be more like 2017 before I buy another new car. Of course, by then the Accord diesel should be out and that's what I'd really love to have.

I've also grown (ahem) widthwise since I last bought a car, so the increased size of the '08 over the '07 is very attractive to me. That, and I really do prefer the new styling for some reason... :P
    Hello David131, We have a 4 cylinder Accord EX ( made in Japan-Saitama).
    Today I put a brick behind the left rear tire and drove over it slowly- no noise. Hmmm....? Like another person that posted something very similar in Dec 07, they said it makes the sound whenever the car goes over a bump that makes the whole car "flex" longitudinally.For instance going up an inclined driveway ( like ours)at an angle.
    I plan on bringing it to the dealer for a check up Friday AM if I can. I'll let you know what they said. You know other than that noise , we love the car. One other
    item.. does your car wander oh so slightly off center when steering on a staight road ? I'll have to check my air press. tommorow and see if that changes anything. I might be nitpicking a bit.

Brian
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Brian..saw your bio...Oscar 53 Cape May..can you do me a favor and run your car at night in the driveway with the A/C on..as the A/C cycles on and off do your headlights and all outside lights flicker?. I have an ongoing battle with Honda going on and they say its normal. Meanwhile there are at least 5 complaints filed so far with NHTSA. I'm trying to get as many as possible to bring this to their attention. Thanks. Semper Paratus.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Did Honda have any response on why the 2008 Accord did so poorly on rear side impact tests done by NHTSA (worse than the old bodystyle 2007s)?
    I wonder if they will make any changes and retest the 2009s.
    A 2011 model is closer to 3 years away, not two and there is no reason you have to buy during the first few months after the 2011s come out, so it could easily be over 3 years.
    Believe me when I tell you this..if i could get my 99 Accord back with the105,000 miles that were on it when i traded I would do so in a heartbeat..don't people wonder why the Accords are not selling...they already have special factory leases on a car that is less than 6 months old and they are giving them away on the dealer lots. Just check Ebay for the serial numbers on the accords for sale..the last 6 numbers are the car's production number..J in the front is a japanese built car..A in front is a american built car. At the rate they are going they will be lucky to sell 300,000 this year. You are absolutely right, you just don't see any on the road. Besides all that, Honda's customer service has reverted to the same attitude of GM of the eighties and you know what happened to GM.
    If you go the NHTSA Government site you will see the complaints filed against the new Accords already. Unbelievable for Honda. By the way this is my 5th honda and I have two of their motorcycles in the garage, so I have an idea about honda quality or lack thereof. Speaking of gas mileage I dont find 24 mpg on the highway acceptable.
  • lowe41lowe41 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Bug4

I do use these forums as general guidance, its a great way to "take the temp" of the consumers view of the car before you go and spend your money on one. I was considering it because I need a car with a little bigger backseat because we are expecting a new baby soon. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be looking. I agree with you about being way ahead of the game, I just don't think I can fit three carseats in my car. I could probably with the new one since its huge. Thank you for your comments, and your review of the 08, I appreciate it.
    Thank You for your informative reply. My one hesitation in purchasing a Ford over a Honda is long term reliability. Do you have any information on this topic?
    After reading this and other forums, I am starting to reconsider my choice of purchasing an 08 Accord EXL and keeping my 03 EX. I do understand that most people that post are unhappy, but I just don't see too many new Accords around here (metro Atlanta). I know the economy is bad, but I sure see a lot of Altimas and Camrys with drive out tags on them. Its also wierd to me that the deal that I have in place is basically MSRP (23500) without negotiations? Its like they are giving it away at cost just to get it off the lot. By now, I expected to see a lot more of these around, like when the 03's came out, they were all over the place. I supposedly have until Friday to do the deal, we'll see. My concerns are the MPG, the flickering lights?? wierd and maybe an indication of being underpowered or other electrical issues?, the 3 star rear crash rating ( I have two little ones in car seats), and cummulatively the overall quality. From what I have read, this doesn't seem to have Honda's legendary quality and reliability. I have had 4 Acccords and I haven't had a problem with any. I have read several stories of people in my shoes being dissapointed. Its hard to pass up a good deal and really low financing rates, but I have 79k on my 03 and it is reliable. I may end up just keeping it.
    Quick messege....1 in front of serial number is an American made car not an "A"..sorry folks.
    Thanks st1300, I am leaning towards keeping it now. I have no headaches now with my car and don't want any in the future. Its just such a good deal, my payments would actually be cheaper with a new EXL. I guess that is indicative of the problems selling it. Thanks for your comments.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    There is no lease deals to be had on the Accord, they show only a general lease, but it is no deal. No lease support, just a standard lease.

Many are leaving Honda, because other company's are offering some amazing lease deals, and unless Honda does something about that, they WILL NOT make their quota. I barely see any around here. Hopefully with Spring on its way, they'll spike up their sales. There are many other good cars out their, and when it comes down to leasing and price, the honda lacks.

With that said, I am waiting on the Accord!
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Every couple of months I get frustrated with this forum and have to write this message -- so here it goes:

lowe41, I'm not sure you have to "reconsider" the 08 Accord. I can't believe all the negative vibes about the 08 Accords on these forums. My problem is---I own one - a 4-cyl EX-L. It is not a perfect car - but its nice and it IS built with Honda quality. I realize there are some valid concerns expressed on these forums and I don't mean to belittle them one bit -- but Honda cars have never been perfect. They are budget-minded cars. Damn nice budget-minded cars - but budget cars nevertheless.

Please remember who the members of this forum are. . . . we are the people who like cars, like talking about cars and who notice every detail. Our brand new, shiny 08 Accords are like newborns to us -- we are the over-zealous parents who notice every runny nose and slight cough. We are no different that the group of parents who gather at the party and find themselves discussing their child's latest BM :)

These forums are good and very useful, but they MUST be taken with a grain of salt. I think the comments in here should not be used to form an opinion about the Accord, but rather as general guidance. For example, since there is an entire thread dedicated to the VCM problem, then you should take note of that and invest time in a comprehensive test drive. Since multiple people have noted the headlight flicker, you should explore that on your test drive and make sure you can live with it. If several posters find the driver's seat uncomfortable, make sure it works for you before buying the car. With the possible exception of the VCM issue in 6cyl models, I have not seen one thing on these forums which makes me believe that the 08 Accord is inferior to any other Accord. It certainly may not be better in every respect and, as ALWAYS, when you make 400,000 cars per year, some of them are screwed up. But, I remain unconvinced that they are bad cars or necessarily inferior to any other car Honda has built.

I'll get off my soap box --- really all I can say is that MY 08 Accord is a nice car for me. I remain convinced that, for me, it was the very best car I could buy for $25k.

[p.s. lowe41 -- I think you should keep your 03 - not because the 08's sucks, but because you are WAY ahead of the game in terms of $$ to just keep the old one. An 03 model is not old and likely is still a VERY good car. Take it to a detail shop, spend the money to get it all shined up and save your $25,000!!! ]
  • itochuitochu Member Posts: 107
    The 2008 is using the ACE body platform/structure - a complete change from 2007.
    Given Honda's record on safety, I suspect the engineers are working on a fix for that shortcoming as we write here.
    I have a 97 Civic and I am looking for a new vehicle. I have narrowed my search down to a 08 Accord and a Taurus. Any information in comparing these vehicles would be helpful.
    The 2008 Taurus is actually a SCREAMING BARGAIN. I have gotten quotes on the 2008 Taurus as low as $20k; this is for an SEL with no options, but it is still nicer than a 4-cyl LX Accord, which happens to cost more.

I say all this, and I have 2 Accords. Drive them both and see if the Accord feels worth the extra money. The $20k Taurus has a 263hp V6, while the $21k Accord has a 177hp I4. The 4-cyl Accord will get marginally better mileage though (21/31 vs. 18/28). The V6 Accord only gets 1 MPG better than the Taurus, at 19/29.

A lot of people dislike the looks of the Taurus, but it is the roomiest car with the biggest trunk in its class. It's going to feel twice the size of your Civic; the Accord has grown a lot too, but should drive smaller.
  • itochuitochu Member Posts: 107
    If you are considering a V6 with automatic, be aware of issues regarding the VCM and check another forum here - 2008 Honda Accord VCM to be fully informed.
    The Taurus is OK if you need that much room and if you get a low enough price to make up for the low resale you'll get later.
    The Taurus is going to be drastically restlyed again in 1-2 years because it is such a dud lookswise.
    Taurus reliability hasn't really been a problem lately, but you should be able to espect better from the Honda. The Honda is more likely to go to 200K miles, if you really plan to take it that far. Few people keep cars that long.
    Resale value of the Taurus will be a bigger issue.
    I know that Ford Fusion scored higher in Consumer Reports than my own Accord did. I'd check out CR to get an idea, but I think the Taurus is no dud reliability-wise. It's not a great looker, but its very practical.
    Most maintenance and repairs will be cheaper on the Taurus too.
    You can probably worry less about the reliability of the Taurus and more about how little you will get back when you try to trade it in compared to an Accord.
    It will only be worth it if you buy it new for a bigger discount than you will give up at resale.
  • coolkatj5coolkatj5 Member Posts: 4
    Amen man....I was just thinking the same thing. I am loving my Accord. I got to say that reading some of these posts has cause me to find some of the flaws of the car, like the light flicker, which does not bother me at all since my 98 Maxima did the same thing, and the "loose bolt" sound in the rear, which I would have never noticed if it wasn't for this forum. Now I just read on to share and learn about how to fix such problems. But I got to say I love my car, and have no regrets whatsoever.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    I keep seeing talk of relative resale value. I understand it's important to folks that cycle their cars fairly frequently. OTOH, I try to keep a new car for close to a decade. At that point, resale value between an Accord and something else isn't enough for me to really consider. The beauty is that keeping my Hondas for 10 years has proven to be a realistic expectation.
    A 2011 model is closer to 3 years away, not two and there is no reason you have to buy during the first few months after the 2011s come out, so it could easily be over 3 years.
    jaxs1 is correct. The 2011 will be out in closer to 3 years (more like 2yrs 6-7 months assuming it comes out in Oct).

As far as size goes, II'm not thin myself yet can easily fit in the car(06 Accord) comfortablely. I can understand why you prefer the new styling though, it does look less 'boring' and more upscale on the 08. However, the styling of 06-07 is not bad looking either IMO(otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). :)
    Are you driving a VW diesel by any chance? If so, diesel is likely the best way to go for you with their high torque and amazing mileage!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.