Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• denisempmp1denisempmp1 Member Posts: 14
    What do you guys think of this? This is an internet quote:

2008 Honda Accord "EX" Package
    MSRP:$24,495
    Your Price:$22,915
    ==
    3 Year Lease
    12,000 Miles Per Year
    $349 Per Month(Payment Includes Tax)
    $0 Down(1st Payment and Plate Due at Signing)
    ==
    The guy told me he uses Honda Leases since they are usually the best payment and the least hassle when I turn it in. Honda includes "GAP" protection on every lease. There is no "drop off" fee associated with this lease. Honda also includes "forgiveness" with your lease. Up To $500 per body panel up to $1500 total.....which means....a dent or scratch is not an issue at lease turn in.

Can I negotiate this price? Is it possible to get the total payment down to $315 for an EX?

He gave me an LX P quote that would be around 340? I am confused and too new to this.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Several issue to consider -

My son is 6'5" and fits into his 2007 V6 sedan - the 2008 is a bit better fit for him, but 2007 ok.

Many feel the 2007 is quieter than its 2008 brethren.

Important question - 6 or 4. Keep in mind that the 2008 V6 has the VCM - and there are owners, if you go to the VCM forum, who find it very noticeable and annoying. I have driven both - there is essentially no difference in the 6 cylinder performance because of thw increased weight of the 2008 over the 2007. But the 2007 is constantly in 6 cylinder mode and doesn't go through the changes of the VCM 6-4-3. if you car considering the 6, drive THE ONE you will buy extensively and see what you think. Do not drive a demo - from owners experiences posted here, it is readily apparent the VCM behaves very differently from car to car.

Good luck.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Earlier this week I drove an LX-P, 4 cylinder with manual transmission. Frankly, based on what I had read, I wasn't expecting it to be brilliant. I expected it to seem underpowered, compared to my '02 V6, and I thought the seats might be less comfy, because they're cloth and don't have adjustable lumbar support.

I was startled by what I found. With the stick shift, it's quite powerful enough to be enjoyable. The engine is free-revving and very quiet, very flexible and not as peaky as previous Honda fours I've driven. The clutch has a very light touch, much more so than our '99 Civic. The shifter is exactly what it should be, with no learning curve at all.

The handling is a bit floaty, but very capable. I'd probably set the tires at 35psi to firm it up a tad. The steering seemed quite a bit lighter than my '02, but also very quick. It reminded me of the steering of the '86-89 models (the ones with the covered lights)--once you get used to the feel, you can do amazing things with it, but it doesn't feel as natural as my '02.

There's lots more room. LOTS more room. Comparable to my folks' E-Class sedan, actually. The cloth seats without adjustable lumbar were at least as comfortable as the leather ones in my '02.

Overall I found the car very appealing. I would probably prefer the handling of the EX (which I haven't driven because I know I can't afford it), but the LX-P is no slouch at all.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I keep seeing "LX-P." What is that?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    It's a new trim level for '08. LX-P (or LX-Premium) takes the basic LX and adds power driver's seat, alarm system, and 16" alloy wheels.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm 6'5" and have a 2006 Accord EX 4-cylinder (with moonroof) and have plenty of headroom, although I have a longer inseam than most 6'5" guys.

I prefer the smaller size of the 2003-2007 models since the 2008 didn't seem to offer that much more front legroom. Instead, the car was wider.

Also, if you're considering a 4-cylinder, the older models are actually peppier off the line. They have the same amount of torque as the new model, but weigh less. I wound out a 2008 190hp Accord last weekend (only once from a red light, to over 6,000 rpm). It didn't feel any quicker than my 166hp 2006 model.

I'm sure I'm biased because I own one, but I'd choose the 2007 model over the 2008. If something happened to my current car to cause me to need another, the 2008 Accord wouldn't be near the top of my list; the Altima would, however.

Keep us posted on your quest for an Accord!

TheGraduate
    2006 Accord EX I4 - 35,000 miles
    1996 Accord LX I4 - 182,000 miles

As stephen987 correctly said, it's a level bridging the price gap between the LX and the EX, much like the last generation Accord had the LX, LX-SE (for LX- Special Edition), and EX, etc...
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Thanks for the answers, guys.
  • aldebaranaldebaran Member Posts: 4
    With a 270 watt stereo and factory installed sub woofer in my EX-L, i don't know what road noise you guys are talking about. :O
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've also found it to be quite the competent equalizer.
    Pat recommended ljg and I continue our conversation here, where it is more on topic.

Last comment on the 2.7 V6 in the legend vs the Accord - Gen I Legends had a dual range transmission - you could shift into "Sport" that changed the gearing to more aggressive gearing for acceleration and harsher shifting. This too I believe lent to the 2.7 being peppier in the Legend than the Accord.

The Gen I Legend wasn't alone with this feature. The Accords, up until the 1992 model, offered a "Sport" mode as well. It didn't change the gearing, but instead raised the shift points. Are you sure the Legend had different gearing?
    I will double check the manual - I still have one from 1989. My recollection was that it not only raised the shift points but also the gearing. I could be wrong.

Let me get back to you - have the brochure at home. :) Will look it up tonight and post later on.

Honda called it a Dual mode electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission, with programmed lockup torque converter. I thought it not only changed the shift points but also some of the gearing. Now that I think about that, that would be rather complicated. But so too is VCM!
    Honda called it a Dual mode electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission, with programmed lockup torque converter. I thought it not only changed the shift points but also some of the gearing. Now that I think about that, that would be rather complicated. But so too is VCM!

A 2-Mode Automatic would be easy to do - 2 simple shift programs. Extra gearing would be darn near impossible at that size/price.

VCM is QUITE complicated, but this is 2008, not the age of the Apple II/e. :)
    Well, I am 60 and my wife tells me that I cannot remember anything :P

but I thought I recalled the brochure for the '89 showing two different charts of gear reduction for regular mode versus sport mode. Perhaps that can be accomplished through some sort of programming? Perhaps it was the power of suggestion at work but the car seemed much quicker off the line in sport mode versus standard, and yes, the shift points were definitely higher.

Again, will confirm with the brochure tonight. And despite my age, I do recognize that technology has changed - I only wish I had had the foresight to put $5000 into Microsoft in 1985 with its IPO. :cry:
    Again, will confirm with the brochure tonight. And despite my age, I do recognize that technology has changed - I only wish I had had the foresight to put $5000 into Microsoft in 1985 with its IPO.

Regardless of age, hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!

I'm beginning to wish I'd kept a brochure of my car as well. Would be fun to see ten or twenty years down the road. It'd also make good reading for a buyer when selling to a private party.
    well - the brochure is gone - I apparently threw it out when we got the '08 Accord. :sick: Talked with my son and he confirmed your thoughts - guess the higher shift points alone accounted for the more peppy feel to the car. My bad.
    Still a neat idea - though not gas saving! With these gas prices I am SO happy I seldom have to drive any where.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Do you have a sunroof in your 2006 Accord? And do you feel you sit fairly upright or tipped back somewhat?

Bud H
    Yes, I have a moonroof in my 2006 Accord (EX model). I sit upright; I can't stand to lay back much at all. My parents, who are in their 50s, actually lean the seat back a notch when they get in the car after I do.

Here I am the day I picked up my car (wow, this was 30 months ago!)
  • losinglouielosinglouie Member Posts: 6
    Well, 2400 miles on my I-4 now. 26 mpg is still my best and 24 is still my worst with mixed city / highway driving. I suspect my tires are underinflated, and have yet to change to synthetic oil, so I continue to hope for better. I have been very impressed with the engine. It can chug along at low rpms, but if needed my EXL can fly at the higher rpm level. That exra horsepower they engineered into the high rpm range of the EX really is impressive when in a jam on the freeway, or on mountain roads. The drivers seat is still the WORST I have EVER experienced in any car. It is unfortunate to pay through the nose for leather seats and get a torture chamber instead. Then again, I am guessing 6 foot+ drivers are freaks to the Japanese. No other problems, rattles or defects. Runs great. Thanks, Bob
    I just tried out a 2007 Accord with a moonroof. Unfortunately, the top left side of my head was grazing up against the left edge of the moonroof opening with the liner withdrawn. BUMMER!

Which is true also when I sit in a Camry, Sonata, Altima, etc, etc! But NOT true in a 2008 Accord.

Bud
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I'm 6'3", 190 lbs, with a 36 inch inseam, and the Accord seats are very comfortable for me. Not sure if it has anything to do with height.
    I'm also 6'3" and weigh 260 pounds. But my inseam is 32 inches, so my torso is long - and why I have a headroom problem.

Bud H
    I think an Avalon would fit you nicely. My friend is about your size, and he is on his 3rd Avalon and he loves it. My Accord is too tight for him.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    These are my suggestions for whenever Honda is ready to make changes to current Accord.

-Add padding/liner to trunk lid. It feels cheap and hallow when it shuts. Both Camry and Sonata trunk lids are lined.

-Add outside temp reading to all Accords AND put in radio/clock display and not in the third setting in odometer display. Outside temp reading should be a constant display reading and not one that you have to search for.

-Move the filling neck of windshield fluid away from the hood prop rod base on 4 cylinder versions. You can't easily fill the reservoir without spilling with the hood rod base in the way. In 2003-2007 models, it was in a ok position, they moved it in 08 and made it harder to fill.

- Scrap the front seats and borrow Sonata or Camry seats. My son's 95 Dodge Stratus has more comfortable front seats than the 08 Accord.

Joe
    And don't force buyers into the V6 versions to get the trip computer.

Someone buying a 4 cylinder EX or EX-L version should be able to get the trip computer.

(But now that my Scangauge II just arrived in the mail today, there won't be as much need for the trip computer.)

Bud H
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Actually, you need the $2,000 navigation option to get the trip computer. The standard V6 EX-L does not have it.
    Strange, but much of the extra Avalon space must be in the BACK seat!

2008 2008 2007
    Avalon Accord Accord

Front legroom 41.3" 42.5 " 42.6 "
    Front headroom 38.8" 39.0 " 38.3 "
  • icex731icex731 Member Posts: 1
    So my lease on my Acura was up, and after such a positive experience with the vehicle, I decided to stay within Honda. I hired a broker (who charges nothing) and also did some shopping on my own. I kept most of my contacting through email and phone and here are my results.

Buena Park Honda $27,900.00
    Hollywood Honda $28,341.00
    Honda of Pasadena $28,598.00
    Long Beach Honda $28,906.00
    Goudy Honda $28,998.00
    Colonial Honda $28,998.00
    Honda of Santa Monica $29,700.00
    CS Auto Broker (My Broker) $30,042.00
    Airport Marina Honda $30,645.00
    Culver City Miller Honda $30,676.00
    Norm Reeves Superstore $31,180.00
    Miller Honda Van Nuys $32,145.00

These were the final prices I got after haggling and going back and forth between various dealers.

I wanted silver and trying to locate the car was hard. Out of these dealers, only 3 had one in stock. Buena Park, who was asking for 27,900 had only a black one. I called Pasadena Honda (Eddy Lin) with a written quote from Buena Park, and he threw in the wheel locks and lowered their price before TTL to $28,236.00. Out the door after TTL, it was a little under $31,000. After qualifying for 3.9% APR, I chose to pay off the car in 48 months with $5000.00 down. My monthly payments came out to roughly $580.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Bud, do you have pics posted somewhere of your Scangauge II installation (I don't think you can do it here)? I've been thinking of doing same but I already have one cord drooping down from my GPS - it seems a shame to clutter up the nice new dash in my EX-L.
    I'm at 1800+ miles now and each tank of gas has gotten better MPG: 24.5, 26, 28, 28.9 on mostly highway driving but some around-town trips as well. I'm leaving for a 600 mile round trip on Saturday on virtually all interstate so I'll try to nurse it a bit and see what I get.

I'm 6'1" with long torso and find the driver's seat extremely comfortable, the passenger seat not so much. I don't plan on spending much time in the passenger seat, though. :P

While the road noise was substantial when I purchased the car, I swear it seems to be quieting down. I suppose it may be the tires wearing a bit.

Overall, we love the car - so much so that we just purchased a '94 Accord EX-L Coupe for our son's first car. Very solid, even at 209,000 mi -I guess it's just now being broken in.... ;)

Oh, the Nighthawk Black Pearl is absolutely gorgeous but what they say about keeping black clean is very true.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Reporting in for the first time with my 2008 EX-L 4 Cylinder Accord:

MPG - Avg. 23MPG in mostly city around town driving. Mixing in some highway miles, I've reached 26MPG once on a tank of gas. Sure wish it had the trip computer like my 2007 CRV does. Seems silly that the CRV would have it, but the Accord doesn't.

Flickering Headlights - Yep, got it. Annoying, but getting used to it. I wonder how the people driving in the other direction think. Do they think I'm flashing my lights? Seems to me that Honda will have a TSB on this in the future. Can't believe it isn't something that can be fixed.

Firm Ride - Tires sure aren't forgiving. My 98 Accord rode better than my 08. In fact, it's really bad when you first start out when the tires are cold. I get a lot of jittery ride from the tires almost like I'm going over little bumps. I can feel the car vibrating. Once the tires warm up, the vibration goes away.

Acceleration - Not bad. Not great either. But about what you'd expect for a 4 cylinder. There is noticeable hesitation when you start from a dead stop. Also seems to shift at odd points sometimes. Not as refined as I would have thought.

Front Seat - I'm 5' 11'' and fit comfortably in the front seat. No real complaints.

Radio - Very good sound. Just wish that with XM and MP3 ID tags, they could have found a way to display both the song title and the artist on the screen at the same time. That's just poor design in my book.

Overall, I'd give my Accord a B+ after the first 2,000 miles. I wanted to give it an A, but the headlights and tires/suspension are annoying enough to lower the grade. I'd also like to see the gas mileage improve to around 25 MPG on average instead of the 23 MPG I'm currently getting. Hopefully after it breaks in a little more. Still haven't taken it on a good highway run, so still waiting to see the mileage crack the 30 MPG barrier.

Oh, has anyone got the Cilajet on their Accord? I got suckered into it for $300, but can't really tell a difference. Was wondering if I can and should still wax the car on a regular basis, or is just washing it enough? I never did get a straight answer out of them about whether it was recommended to wax the car with the Cilajet coating, and if it would hurt the coating? Any thoughts?
    Yep, I forgot to mention the headlight flicker - got it as well but it's barely noticeable and certainly not dangerous.

I think the ride is fine but I'm moving up from a VW New Beetle and our other car is a Jeep Liberty so just about anything would seem to be an improvement to us. I am looking forward to replacing the tires hoping for an even smoother and quieter ride in the future, but as things stand now it is very nice. The Malibu had the quietest ride of the cars we drove.

Last tank dropped down to 24MPG which is the worst I've gotten so far. More in-town driving, I guess.

As far as acceleration is concerned, it's on par with the Altima (without the CVT whine) and far superior to the Malibu 4-banger. Best of the lot that I test drove was the Passat - that 2.0 Turbo is one sweet engine - but the Honda's 2.4 is almost as sweet without the added complexity of a turbo and without the premium fuel requirement.
  • tbm4530tbm4530 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought an 08 Accord EX-L I-4 Sedan, the inside deck has a 1/4 inch hole in it. Went back to the dealer, the floor model V-6 had the same hole. dealer didn't know what is was for. Anybody have a real reason for this hole?

Confused
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    what do you mean by a 'deck' ? Trunklid? The area underneath the rear window, inside the car, between the rear seat and the rear window?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I sold my '08 EXL-4cyl w/12k miles yesterday at a dealer only car auction. Fetched a pretty good price for it.

My opinion of the car after owning for 10 months:

CONS
    1. Road noise is absolutely unnacceptable for a $26.5k MSRP car. My dealer friend who drove the car to the auction immediatley noticed it + whining noise. A 2000 maxima with 145k had less road/tire noise.
    Barely could hear people on my Bluetooth when driving on highways.
    2. The radio/climate control dash layout is poorly designed. The '03-07 generation was excellent.
    3. Gas MPG was marginal. The car was getting better at 12k miles - around 26mpg highway. Was getting 22-24MPG when it was new.
    4. No homelink, trunk liner, or fog lights on EXL model. Front fascia should be the same as the V6 on EXL-4 cyl models.
    5. Front tires were wearing quickly (not an agressive driver).

PROS
    1. Thankfully didn't buy the VCM V6 model - not worth 1-2mpg savings.
    2. Excellent Honda resale value.
    3. Interior & Exterior styling looks expensive (almost on par with Acura).
    4. Road shock was dramatically improved from the previous gen.
    5. Subwoofer.

Now what? Probably a used 05'/06' Lexus ES330. I love Honda but until they fix the road noise problems I will look to Lexus/Toyota for my next car.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, even my 06 Accord has a bit of road noise. That is what Honda has always had. Owners always mention this. Though couple this with the leather, and the interior is a bit more noisier, but it really is what your used to. Some like to be inside the car and not hear a thing, but some like to be a little of aware of a little noise. It really doesn't bother me, it makes it more sporty that way, tuned for the driver. But, not ment for everyone. Lexus/Toyota, you'll get a quiet interior, some almost say too much. But Honda, has always had this type of feel for the car.

I agree that they should put the V6 facia on the 4cyl models, some thing that they do to make a trim line, does not make sense, or really impede any costly options any way, so just include it.

Having a trunk lid liner makes a car look of quality, and honestly cannot cost that much to include this option. It makes a car look complete and more upscale. Its like the get to that, and they cut that option.

I find that most of noise comes from the Michelin tires, mine have worn extremely well, look very new, so I am not sure why they are wearing more on your car, people often forget though to rotate their tires.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    "4. No homelink, trunk liner, or fog lights on EXL model. Front fascia should be the same as the V6 on EXL-4 cyl models"

When I bought my 07 CR-V as a first year model, I was very upset that their top of the line EX-L w/Nav didn't have simple features like a power driver's seat, homelink, or dual automatic climate control. To think a 28K vehicle with leather seats weren't power operated was ridiculous.

Then, as soon as the 08 CR-V's rolled out, all three options became standard on the top of the line model.

I suspect that Honda will add back at least one of the goodies for '09, maybe even all three. Other than the fog lights, the other two items are extremely inexpensive options to add to the vehicle.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I think I learned my lesson on even first year Japanese cars.. I won't consider first year Hondas/Toyotas fearing they miss things like trunk liner, outside temp, smooth running power seat track, and other items I have not discovered yet. I think the EX-4 auto transmission on hilly interstate roads has heck of time figuring out which gear is most suitable, it constantly shifts up and down. The RPM reading is all over the place. It has nothing to do with engine power as I feel it is plenty. It has to be the transmission programming.

Japanese cars are no different than American/European cars, every car maker has its first year issues. Always wait for the second model
    year.

Joe
    Honda's Accord topped sales in June 2008, with nearly 40,000 in sales. The Honda Civic was behind it in the number two spot. Corolla and Camry claimed number three and four.

Learn More Here
  • ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    Is anyone having any issues with their door handles on the 2008 Accord Coupe? Mine sometimes stick and it seems like the door is locked when it is not. I have to pull really hard on it to get it to unlatch. This has been happening on both doors but not consistently.
    I own the 08 Sedan and this has been an ongoing issue with my drivers door. I was going to have the dealer look at it when I brought it in for it's first oil change. But I thought about and figured why risk someone tearing apart a door that was otherwise experiencing no problems and possibly end up with more issues than just an occasionally stubborn door handle. I've not seen the problem with the passenger door but I've only used that a couple of time myself, but no one else has complained so I'm going under the assumption that it is OK. The down side of not having anyone look at it is that it seems to be getting worse and I see myself having to straddle the center console as I gain access from the passenger side and throwing my back out in the process. Maybe next oil change I'll deal with it.
    My suggestion to anyone with that kind of problem - you are not a tenant and the dealer the landlord. Get yourself some silicone spray and luubricate it. Better than WD 40 because the silicone spray is clear. Should alleviate the problem.
    5,000 miles into my 2008 coupe and I have not had any problems with my door handles. Are you talking about the outside or inside door handles? Getting into the car, or getting out of it?

Reminds me of a funny story from 20-odd years ago when the Yugo was introduced in the U.S. I was at the Chicago Auto Show and was sitting in the driver's seat of the Yugo when the inside handle snapped right off in my hand when I was trying to get out of the car. No one noticed and I was trapped in this awful Yugo for about 5 minutes while I signaled to someone to get me out. Longest 5 minutes of my life. I was actually starting to panic. What a dreadful car that was.
  • miltiadesmiltiades Member Posts: 16
    Although I taught English for years, I can't understand the manual's instructions re: having the sedan's back and passenger doors have a default to stay unlocked when the driver's door is unlocked. Help correcting this hassle is appreciated. Thanks.
    There's a McDonald's near my home where I stop off for a $1 drink a couple of times a week; one of the people that works there in the mornings drives a Yu(don't)go! It remains the only one I've ever seen.
  • ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    Outside door handle. Although one day I put the car in park to get out & get the mail. The car was still running and I went to open the door, The driver's side lock is supposed to automatically open. But when I pulled the handle, it seemed like the lock didn't fully open. The door did not open and I pulled again and the lock "clicked" further into place and then it opened. I wonder if there's a problem with the lock itself. I don't think WD40 would help with the issue though. It's not a constant problem but it is getting worse. I too am afraid to ask the dealer to mess with it becuase I read in another string on this board that someone took their older model in for a door handle issue and when they got the car back, it was then having problems with the window.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Funny I have an issue with the drivers door handle as well. All the other doors open easily and smoothly with just a pinky. The drivers door still opens fine but takes several times the effort and is not as smooth. Mentioned to the dealer and they did nothing.

What worries me is the drivers door handle did eventually break on my Integra - little plastic piece that connects the handle to the rod that pulls the pin.
    How many miles are you up to now, dud?
    I'm going to try some silicon spray (or a dry teflon spray that we use where I work), as was suggested, I don't see how it could hurt anything. Like you, I feel as if the problem is more than a lubrication one though. At times it works like the other handles and other times it requires 3-4 times the effort, like parts aren't meshing as they were meant to.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am already over 37,000 miles - in 16 months.

The scarey thing is that if I drove a Durango or Yukon like a lot of people around here (SD) I would have spent an additional $4,000 in gas alone (and higher car payments) . That is about $270 every month EXTRA. I don't know how those people do it.
This discussion has been closed.