Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Wow, you've passed me! I have a 2006 (bought in 11/2005) with 36,420mi. To be fair, I still use the '96 daily as my commuter car to work, since I have a bad habit of getting rear-ended and bumped. I'd rather have them hit the car worth $3k instead of the one worth $15k.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Fortunately we have not experienced anything like that with the door handle - the operation of the power driver's seat does concern me though - not smooth at all - almost as thought there are teeth missing in the cogs/track somewhere and sometimes will not move at all - like it is jammed - and there most assuredly is nothing under the seats.
  • 08inspire08inspire Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if a accord 08 :surprise: coupe front spoiler would fit a sedan or a site where they have kits for a 4cyl accord sedan
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    They have both options for the accord. Coupe and Sedan.

Sedan offers 2 spoilers, while the coupe, I am sure only offers 1 type of spoiler.

Low Profile spoiler- Looks very classy! Makes the Accord look complete. Cheaper cost.

Wing Spoiler-LED brake lamp installed on the actual wing, not a big extra, but nice.
    Doesn't look as smooth with the overall look as with the low profile spoiler, but a nice addition to an Accord, that looks sort of plain in the rear.

Both look good, its a matter of opinion though, look at both.

HANDA.com will have great accessories!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    He's talking about "front" spoilers, which I did not see on HandA. I don't think Honda has put one out yet. I still don't think Honda makes a front spoiler for the 06-07 sedans.
    Oh, no, am pretty sure they don't, but I do think the 6cyl bumper needs to be on both the 6 and 4, it looks a bit better, I also think that they should just include the fog lights, starting with the EX model. No that I am big on the fog light myself, but if you want them on the 4cyl, it looks like it does not quite go right with the bumper, not too seemless like the 6. the 4cyl front almost looks too plain, sorta of what they did to the previous generation, they start out with a basic lower bumper, then they changed the 06 bumper with the small grills on the outside, and is little change that was, it made a big difference in the front look of the 06 Accords.
  • irvchilichillirvchilichill Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of trying to buy a Accord Coupe 08 with V6 but debating on the Navi system (just like the look better in the dash)? Im getting quoted at 29,400 for the car and I feel that there is a better deal. Am I being naive? Seems like the price has increased over the last two months and now I can't get one for under 28,000. Any suggestions? I know many will say the NAvi is not worth the price but I like how it sits in the dash--inconsequential, yes, but it's what made me begin considering the Coupe seriously.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I bought my 6spd coupe (no navi) for $26,500 with no trade, so I think there is room for much negotiation. As for navi, I have 2 Honda cars with it, and 2 Honda cars without it. I don't think it is worth the $2,000 price, and the Honda Navi system is not as sophisticated as what you get in your $250 Garmin or Tom Tom today.

I also think the price of OEM navi systems will come down dramatically in the next 2-3 years (due to technology), so I don't think you will recoup your investment when it is time to sell or trade in your coupe in XX years. But I definitely understand your appreciation for how it looks in your dash. And you get a few bells and whistles with Navi, like the trip computer.

But if it were my 2008 Accord coupe, I would skip the Navi and spend the $2000 instead on a nice set of rims or tires to really make your coupe look sharp, possibly an upgraded set of speakers, and get the XM radio. But to each their own.

Good luck. Either way, I think you can still find a better deal than what you've been quoted.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Take the money you save by NOT buying the Nav, and buy a portable unit and heck, a nice laptop as well. You'll get more use out of the laptop, than you'd ever get out of the built in NAV in the vehicle.
    Yes, I agree, as good as it looks, but its mainly for the whole WOW! factor, Portable nav units are so cheap now, and offer more. Someday soon, they will all have navi as standard, which I think should to help us all with traffic flow. If you really want to see for yourself, go test drive one, without a sales guy tagging along, and try it out, you'll see there is only so much you can do. Invest it into a decent set of speaker, rims, atleast then, you'll get more excitement. But, I will say, that Honda offers one of the best Navigation's out there. Although if it had a hard drive to play music, and a more entertainment based software, than I would do it, but they don't
    Okay, I am wondering if the traction control plays a huge role in the way a car accelerates, and distributes its torque/power??

Should I turn it off when I truly don't need it?
    Traction control comes into play when one of your drive-wheels slip. It will apply the brakes or reduce power (depending on the system) to the slipping wheel until full traction has returned.

There is no sense in turning it off since when you have it activated and you aren't needing it, it doesn't do anything. Turning it off just puts the distracting yellow light on the IP.
  • psyevolutionpsyevolution Member Posts: 26
    08 accord coup exl 4v auto/navi
    car price 26690+ tax 0.8375+dmv =29325

08 accord coup exl 6v auto/navi
    car price 28715+tax 0.8375+dmv=31519

i am thinking which one i should get? and what the best price i should talk..?
  • gyushergyusher Member Posts: 67
    I just finished reading this entire thread. . . I ought to get something for that at least. It took me almost a week.

The day I started reading was the day I brought my 08 EX-L l4 Red Coupe home. Funny how we buy something then check it out afterwards. . .

Anyway I looked for several months. It came down to either one of three cars. Toyota, Nissan or Honda coupe not the sedan.

It became apparant real quick that you really can't compare the 4 cyl to the V6 on any of these cars. They are two different cars. In my mind not appropiate to compare them in any way except for cost while determining what you are going to buy.

I decided on the 4 cylinder model and in my mind Honda has the rest of the 4 bangers covered. Toyota is last years model body style (Solara). I really don't care for Nissan's CVT tranny so Honda wins again. I do like the 6 spd manual but at this point in my life the automatic is more appropiate for me anyway.

I love this car. Yes it is noisey, yes the lights do flicker at times, yes to a number of things that were brought up but. . . it is a Honda.

The car is responsive, you feel like you are doing something when you drive it. Lean on it and she won't let you down. Might not be effortless like the V6 but responsive none the less.

I drove the 177hp sedan for 2 hours the day before but ever since I saw mine sitting on the show room floor I knew it was going home with me at some point. I also drove the 6spd SI Civic enough to run her to 8 grand in the first 4 gears just about giving the salesman a heart attack. He told me to do it even though I told him I wouldn't punish a new motor.

The little Si was fun but it was just too small. I hear traces of that Si motor in my Accord when I lean on it a little. Just turned 600 miles so I left it in "D" and floored it from around 20mph and let off about 90. . . Not bad. . . Holy Grail it ain't but she ain't bad either. I like it. . .

Oh. . . 26 and 31mpg on the 2 times I gassed up. . . so far.
  • bndiebndie Member Posts: 12
    I own a 08 sedan , and i have the same problem, the driver's side handle sticks and is very hard to open.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Same here, both on the inside and outside,
  • cdn2cdn2 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem. Honda told me there was nothing wrong. I just am not pulling the handle correctly! Like I don't know how to open a car door.
    Are you guys sure it's not the door seal making the door stick? This was the problem on a previous Accord I had. People would crack the handle, pulling on it to open the door (passenger side). Lubricate the door seal, and hopefully that will solve the problem.
    I will try it...but the door handle catches. You have to pull extra hard to get it to open.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I know in my case it's not the door seal. My drivers door is the only one with the problem and sometimes it works fine but not often. In my case where it is an intermittent problem it almost feels like the mechanism has at least one loose component that does mesh well with the other components on occasion, other times due to the jarring of the door closing or just road vibration, the parts don't mesh as well and it takes quite a pull to open. Not a major annoyance until some component fails. I can't believe they would suggest that you don't know how to open the door properly! Honda seems to have a problem admitting they have problem.
    If I push hard on the door and then open it ... it works fine.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Actually, mine is the door handle itself, it seems like it clicks harder than norman (both inside and out) to open, I think it needs readjustment, I just wanted to prolong having the door panel opened.
  • ashton_nashton_n Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a brand new 2008 accord (EX-L V6) 2 days back and maybe i didnt pay close attn to this but I feel the car vibrates too much (low frequency vibrations) when at idle (in park, neutral or D). I love the car but this problem is really bugging me. When idling in D on a traffic light, I can even see the seat vibrating when observed carefully. Heck, even my 97 altima doesnt vibrate that much when idle!

Anyone else noticed the same? I will be calling the dealer and setting up an appointment to check it out. Any inputs will be appreciated.
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Since the filed complaints on the web haven't helped I recommend you call the following number directly to file a complaint about headlight flickering

1 888 327 4236...you can talk to a live person.

This is the NHSTA direct line.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I have a 2008 4cyl EX Sedan and find the engine idles very rough. When I turn on the car, it idles at over 1,500 rpm for a long time. At stops, it vibrates and you can see the steering wheel shake.

Also, during driving, it often seems like I'm going over little speed bumps. I'm not sure if it could be the tires. I'm wondering if the tires aren't balanced properly.

Finally, I notice some very heavy shifts in the transmission, usually between 2nd and 3rd, and sometimes, it's felt like it slipped a gear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the transmission. I only have 3,500 miles on it!!!
    When I turn on the car, it idles at over 1,500 rpm for a long time.

My 2006 Accord 2.4L 5AT also idles at 1,500 when you first start the car, with the engine cold. This is perfectly normal, as the car is idling higher to help it warm up quicker.

Also, during driving, it often seems like I'm going over little speed bumps. I'm not sure if it could be the tires. I'm wondering if the tires aren't balanced properly.

At all speeds? If not, roughly how fast are you going when they do this?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Your car is under warranty, take it in to the dealer to get fixed....worst case wait till your first oil change.
  • arfboolarfbool Member Posts: 2
    I cannot comment about the steering wheel vibration or harsh shifting. It could be a real problem that your service department needs to examine.

As far as fast idling, my 2006 Accord 4 Cyl, 5-speed manual idles about that fast when you turn it on. That lasts about a minute. However, the idle should go down when you put the car in gear or after a minute is up. If it does not, that could be a problem.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the link: jodar96, "Honda Accord 2008 Seats" #42, 6 Aug 2008 1:19 pm.

And thanks, jodar96, for the info - I'm sure it will be quite helpful to others.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    AT? If so welcome to a place where no man has gone before - VCM land with
    6-4-3 modes of operation, and all its vagaries. You will be told it is operating within normal limits. Probably the Active Engine Mounts - part of the VCM system. They may not be operating properly and insulating engine vibration from the car adequately - good luck with that one, right golfrski!
    Yes, the Accord 4cyl, does have a normal vibration at idle, my 06 accord has always had a slight vibration, I have also been told that it is less felt on the V6 model. If it vibrating any more than what seems normal, than obviously something is wrong,

Also, as time goes on, with more miles, the transmission will brake in more, and get more smooth. I noticed the same on mine at first, then it became more smooth as I kept driving.

I do know, that the newer Jetta's like the 08, rev much higher at start up, seems, and sounds weird, but calms down quickly.
  • warriorphanwarriorphan Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 LX-P that reads 20 folders for a MP3 CD that has only 5 folders. It always reads more folders than the actual number no matter which MP3 CD that I insert. Most folders show zero files. The player will eventually advance to a folder that has files to play. Another 2008 LX-P at the Honda dealership did the same thing. A EX-L with the 6 disc in dash player read the correct number of folders and files. The same MP3 CDs will play correctly on several other MP3 players that I have tried. Honda support services says that they cannot duplicate the problem. Anyone else have this problem? Were you able to get it fixed?
  • bmcloughlinbmcloughlin Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on the driver's door. All the other doors are easy to open. It seems to happen when the car has been sitting in the sun. I can feel the resistance from the inside and the outside door handles.
  • ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    To all with the door problem, can you post which Accord you have? I have the 2008 Coupe EXL V6 - Black. I'm going to be going in for my first round of service and I will print out this string so the techs can see it's an issue. I'll post whatever I find out.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    The other day I sat in a $41K 2009 Pilot in the show room. The driver power seat track has the same catch/hesitation that our 2008 Accord EX does.

I am surprised that Honda did not notice this in 2008 Accord and it let it happen in 2009 Pilot.

It is so easily detectable that I tend to believe Honda knows about this and ignores it

Joe
    Did you notice this before you left the dealer?

If so, I sure wouldn't have left!
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    08 EX-L-V6 Sedan. Drivers door inconsistently requires more force to open, more so from the outside, but inside handle on occasion can be reluctant to operate normally. 10,700 miles and have had it now for eleven months and it, like the VCM lack of transparency, seems to be less troublesome now then it was a few months ago. On another matter, I checked my oil today as it now has 3,000 miles on it since the break-in oil was changed, and the level was fine (60% oil life remaining per maintenance minder). Had to add oil before MM was down to 15% on the break-in oil, I'm assuming due to viscosity and other new engine contributing factors.
    I have 2008 EX-L 4 Cyl. (no navigation). Good luck dealing with the service dept. if you are having the same problem.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... The driver power seat track has the same catch/hesitation that our 2008 Accord EX does.

I am surprised that Honda did not notice this in 2008 Accord and it let it happen in 2009 Pilot. ...

That issue has been around since the '03 Accord and Pilot. I'm also surprised to hear that they've done nothing to remedy it.
    As an owner of a previous gen Accord, and having had 3 Gen VII Accords in the household since 2002, I've never heard ANYTHING about the seat-track.

Elroy as an 03 owner, have you?
  • vuicevuice Member Posts: 5
    I would really like to have the rear view camera for my coupe when I backup. I know it is only available for the sedans, but does anyone know of any place that can get the sedan camera to be installed on the coupe? It would be installed in the bumper of the coupe instead of the trunk lid like in the sedan. Anyone that has any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Both my front seats are power, and both have a very slight movement, when braking or accelerating hard. Under normal driving, they don't seam to move enough to notice it. As far as catch/hesitation, when moving, no. They both move smoothly. We do move the seats a lot, because she is 5'-4" and I'm 6'-0" (all the way up, and all the way back). I have looked into what could be done to tighten them up, but haven't found a simple or cheap solution yet. Not a big problem, at this point.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Elroy, I have the same problem in my 2002 EX-VL. It really annoyed me for the first six months I owned the car--it was almost a rocking motion and made me feel as though I didn't really have complete control of the car. But 43k miles later, I'm used to it, I guess.

I still think I'd prefer manual seats in my next one. My wife's Civic has 140k on it and the seats only move when I tell them to, and that's the way I prefer it. :)
    I still think I'd prefer manual seats in my next one.

I'm with you on that. Too bad there is no such thing as leather seats without power :cry: . A manual seat is quicker, and easier IMO. I think there is a TSB on that generation power seat rails. I will try to find it for you. Sadly I could not find a TSB for my car's seats.
  • iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Which color is best for the polished metal color exterior? Does the gray leather or the black leather look the best? Also which color would look the best for the longest ? Is it hard to maintain leather seats. My current car has gray cloth and this would be my first car with leather.
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    Polished metal was my 2nd choice for my new EXL V6, I would have done the black leather. I wound up with Black paint, and ivory leather. Leather interiors are very easy to maintain. Get some lexol cleaner/conditioner at your local Pep Boys. About every other months, clean and condition the leather and you'll have no issues.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Too bad there is no such thing as leather seats without power

One of several reasons I'm considering making my next one a Civic EX-L instead of an Accord. Then again, my wife isn't crazy about leather, and cloth seats would solve the problem completely. . .
    Through I am not big on gray leather interior, but the gray in the Accord looks nice, it couples with the dark carpets on the floor, and it gives the interior a really nice contrast. That is one think that they should do more, for instance, Ivory interior with a contrasting carpet on the floor, like black.

Leather is easy to clean, Tan will show more, LEXOL does work great. Do this, and it looks clean, protects it from wrinkling and cracking, which most forget to do, then its too late. I have leather now, and I am less worried about the interior as I did with cloth, because I can wipe down the leather, and cloth you just have to be more careful. Lexol isn't shiny wents its rubbed in, so that is a plus. Nothing worse than shiny, slick seats on a hot day.
  • smok10smok10 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new EX-L Coupe 3 weeks ago and it rides like a Mack Truck, you feel every crack in the road, every pot hole patch etc. I went over a railroad crossing and my teeth rattled. This is the worse riding Honda I've owned or ridden in. Anyone experiencing this problem??? I'm happy with everything else (so far). If this is normal I will be getting rid of it reguardless of what it will cost me. Thanks for all responses.
    PS when I test drove the car with the salesman he directed the route, I didn't think anything then, may I should have been suspicious then.......
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    No ride quality complaints on my EXL Sedan that I picked up last week. Perhaps the coupe has a firmer suspension? I'm coming from a VW GTI that had an extermely firm ride and you definitely felt everything. Have you checked your tire pressure?

You're going to loose thousands trying to dump a new car. Before I bought my sedan, I did three different test drives at three dealers, so I knew what I was getting into to.
This discussion has been closed.