Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Bingo
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Mazda 6 :confuse:

Smaller than my Accord and uses as much gas as my Sienna. :surprise:

Now if they would put a 4-cyl in the Mazda 6 that would make it palatable, but still smaller and less efficient than an Accord wagon would be.

I like wagons (prefer them to sedans), but the Mazda 6 misses the point.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Also I think 2007 is the last year for the 6 Wagon. It seems that wagons are still not selling well enough to justify the cost of a different bodystyle (excluding Subaru and the European makes).
  • Options
    That is because wagons are not marketed. Subaru markets their wagons and sells 10 for every 1 sedan.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The closest thing to an Accord wagon is the C-RV. Same 4cyl engine, and built on a car platform. The chances of the Accord wagon making another appearance are very very slim. The C-RV sells like hotcakes.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Blame your fellow Americans. I believe that in the rest of the world the 6 does not even have a V6 available in any version of it.

You may not like it but at least tiny Mazda, with a measly 3% of the US market, sells a conventional wagon and hatchback in the US. Even if it is smaller and less efficient than the non-existant Accord wagon.
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    Put the V6 in the CRV and they'd probably sell a whole bunch more. I'd love to have a CRV over the Accord, but I won't settle for less than the V6.

Yes, yes, I know the 4 provides enough power for almost all situations, and gets better mileage. Its neither right or wrong, it's just a personal preference = some folks like more power.
  • Options
    The problem with the CRV is that it can't touch the Accord for efficiency.
  • Options
    Toyota's Rav4 has gone up in size, has a V6 and a third row seat. Since the CR-V sells more than the Rav4, Honda wasn't going to change what works. People obviously like it the way it is, light and nimble. The mileage may not be as good as the Accord (the CR-V is heavier) but I'm sure the extra weight of an Accord wagon would mean lower mileage too.
  • Options
    A wagon typically weighs less than 100 lbs more than a sedan. The difference is negligable.

The big reason for the CRV using more gas is aerodynamics and shorter gearing.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    It's not just the weight. It's also the aerodynamics that reduce mpg.
  • Options
    If you don't like the CR-V, just say so. ;)
  • Options
    I don't like the CRV. :P

Actually the CRV is quite practical and certainly better than almost every other SUV. It is just that the Accord wagon would offer all of that and so much more.

Wagons are quite close to sedans for aerodynamics. What kills SUV's is not just the high coefficient of drag, but the large frontal area that their upright posture gives them. The Accord sedan and wagon would have identical frontal areas.

Typically EPA numbers for sedans and wagons are the same.

I remain convinced that the only reason we don't have roads full of wagons and Hatches(like in Europe) is that car manufacturers can get away with selling SUV's to people here, and they (SUV's) are much more profitable (translation of more profit for car companies is less value for consumers).

Off soapbox.

Diesel Accord wagon - never happen, it just makes too much sense.
  • Options
    Good points but the lack of buyers killed the wagon.
  • Options
    I think you have it backwards, SUVs are profitable only because people are willing to pay high prices for them. I've never understood the attraction myself...to me they are just wagons on stilts, but it is what people seem to want to buy.

I would think the CRV is more of a civic wagon than Accord. The length is about the same as a civic and the wheelbase is shorter than a civic. I don't think the price would be as high as it is if most buyers viewed it as a Civic wagon.

I think the Pilot is more like the size that an Accord wagon would be and again, if most viewed it as an Accord wagon, I bet the price they would be willing to pay would be a lot lower.
  • Options
    Yes - as Andre Agassi put it so eloquently in his commercials for Cannon.

Image is everything! :(

Funny because wagons have changed so much. There are some gorgeous wagons now. VW/Audi, Mazda6 and even the Subaru Legacy (not the Outback) and Volvo.

http://www.cardata.com/images/2007/Volvo%20V50.jpg

Just look at the lines on the wagon above - they just flow.
  • Options
    I do think the wagons are poised to come back for the reasons pointed out. Actually, I have more cargo length in my Accord w/ the back seat down than in the CRV. It just doesn't look as cool towing my little bass boat. CRV buyers could save some bucks, if they could wait a year or 2 to buy.
  • Options
    Image is everything!

Yes, for my generation the wagon was your parent's car...the definition of the mom-mobile. Then the minivan was the next mom-mobile. For younger people today the SUV is the mom-mobile...even though their dads' thought they were buying a tough, manly truck ;) .

Now we have the "new" concept called the "cross-over"...seems to me the Subaru Outback actually invented this quite some time ago, though. These are just a teensy bit higher than a conventional wagon.
  • Options
    kamdogkamdog Member Posts: 28
    Accord vs. CRV. I have both, both of them 2003. They are two vastly different cars. Even though they have the same engine, they feel different in engine response. The Accord I have is a manual, and its gearing (similar to the 5 speed auto, btw) allows it both good acceleration and high mileage on the highway. I average about 28 mpg in the Accord and 22 in the CRV. Unfortunately, as I got older, my back started giving me problems and the low Accord became more and more uncomfortable. More people are now wanting to sit higher up, and that gives a better view of the road and is easier on the body. Not to mention the AWD.

So, an Accord wagon would be nothing like a CRV except perhaps in the number of shopping bags it would carry.
  • Options
    vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I totally agree with your statement of the low sitting position in the Accord. I just traded my 95 Accord for a 07 CR-V EX-L because both my wife and I were finding it more difficult getting in and out of the Accord. The new Accord and Civic models were no different. My wife now has the CR-V and I drive an 07 Honda FIT Sport, again higher driving position then the Accord. The CR-V will not give me the mpg of the Accord, but being in our 60's probably will save our backs.. by the way, the FIT is a blast and I'm averaging 31-33 mpg in town, 40-42 on the road.. :)
  • Options
    gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    At cnet they have an article that states that the accord diesel will not be out til 2010. I was really hoping for sometime in 2009 when my lease will expire on my 06 Civic. :(
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Do you believe CNET or Honda?
  • Options
    mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    Considering that the Altima is supposed to be diesel by next year, and the Jetta will have the revised diesel to meet U.S. standards, I don't think it will take until 2010 for the Accord to go diesel. Especially when they already have the superclean diesel technology in use today outside the U.S., not to mention Honda does not want to fall behind in the mpg war to Accord competitors.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Funny - to me, sitting lower to the ground translates into an easier ride. You're not 'rolling over' thru the turns but carving thru them. I have a TL and an Odyssey (wife/kids ya know). Driving the Ody is a chore compared to slinging the TL.

The 'savings' on your back by sitting higher could be offset by the laterals you're doing going thru turns.

Different strokes.
  • Options
    rmartinez1rmartinez1 Member Posts: 12
    May I politely ask that the discussion get back to the 08 Honda Accord. I have gone back for a few days and all I read is about vans, crv's and civics. I am here to find out the scoop about the new accord version. I hope that this is not a dead tread. thanks
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It certainly is the discussion you indicate, but what you are seeing is other conversation until more info surfaces about the 2008 model. So little is known now that there's just not that much to talk about.

Feel free to kick us back onto topic, or a topic you desire! :)
  • Options
    May I politely ask that the discussion get back to the 08 Honda Accord.

Give us some information, and we will be glad to discuss it. ;) Honda is very good at keeping things under wraps until one month before introduction of a new model. I think we will get next to nothing until August.
  • Options
    This is the second time someone has complained this week about getting off topic. I suppose the CRV discussion is largely my fault. But as the others have responded, there is simply no news about the new model except for the pic of the 2 door Coupe, and tidbits from supposed insiders who supposedly have to remain anonymous.

But at the same time, while you're technically right, I think it is still nit-picking. Personally, I pick up very useful information in the chit chat that have nothing to do with the new model. And really, it doesn't take that long to sift through it anyway. If we get too off track, the Host will gently remind us when it gets out of hand.

I'm quite confident once Honda decides to release the goods, which shouldn't be too much longer, the thread will have plenty of conversation concerning the new model.
  • Options
    All will be revealed in September.
  • Options
    obieobie Member Posts: 39
    Amen to what rmartinez1 said about staying on topic. This is not nit-picking guys. The forum is designed with dozens of categories and 100s of threads to make it easy for users to find SPECIFIC information EASILY, that is without wading through pages of off-topic messages.

Off-topic conversations may be interesting to those conducting them, but the lack of new info on 2008 Accords is no reason to clutter up this thread. There are plenty of other general chat opportunities on the forums. So please, continue to enjoy your discussions about other subjects, and pop back here when you have something to tell us about the '08 Accord. Catch you all later!
  • Options
    But at the same time, while you're technically right, I think it is still nit-picking. Personally, I pick up very useful information in the chit chat that have nothing to do with the new model. And really, it doesn't take that long to sift through it anyway. If we get too off track, the Host will gently remind us when it gets out of hand.

I agree and what some see as "off-topic" is not necessarily seen that way by others. For instance the CRV, etc. was related, in that it was started by discussion of "why is there no Accord wagon". Besides, discussing what is or is not off-topic, is itself off-topic and clutters up this thread :surprise: .
  • Options
    Would that be a good idea? For a car that does not exist.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ... So please, continue to enjoy your discussions about other subjects, and pop back here when you have something to tell us about the '08 Accord. Catch you all later!

....in light of present (and projected) fuel costs, has the availability of VCM (w/6M in my case) caused any deep reflection within the student body?

Seriously, if the present V-6/6M combo is good for damn near 40 miles per gallon............(I've hit 39 twice on the interestate - - - sure I was trying - and held it under 70). At any rate, I say bring on the VCM - - - and any other techno provision that cuts the pain at the pump while preserving that wonderful V-6 acceleration potential........

best, ez..
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Do you think they will have a wait list for ordering a new 08 accord? Also, does that mean you could order the one you want, and have the whole deal worked out before it even gets to the dealership? Although I am scared that the new model will be so marked up, that it would be a huge step to move up to the 08 model right at first. The demand will be very high, and a lease incentives will not take place for a while too. I am going to try when the first come out, if its too big of a step, then I'll wait til they calm down. I have a leased 06 SE, and by then I'll be neutral in trade in and pay off, so I could walk away from my 06 car. I plan to put $0 down on this next car too.

Anyone else going to do about the same thing as me when the 08 comes out? What is your plan??
  • Options
    It's like Grand daddy said. "When you've got to pay.....Delay" :) No smart buyers buy on the model change. Be a man and wait till you can get a good buy.
  • Options
    No smart buyers buy on the model change.

Why? Please explain the reasoning behind this.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Remember that there are two good ways to help get the discussion back on-track if it's veered off:
    1) e-mail a host if it's really bad.
    2) post an on-topic comment or article link about the vehicle that would generate interesting conversation.

There is no #3 that includes complaining to your co-members... it rarely works, and it doesn't magically make members have more info about the vehicle.

Let's do try to keep focused on the 08 Accord and hop on over to the many other Honda-focused discussions for more general conversation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Just keepin' the conversation lively. You can't negotiate as good a deal and the early production has a higher incidence of defects. That's why.
  • Options
    There are advantages to buying a first year model (08 Accord). The 03 Accord, even though it's 5 years old, still looks just as new as the 07 Accord. And in two years from now, the 07 Accord will look just as old as the 03 (except maybe from the rear). I bought my 03 in September of 03 (right when the 04 was coming out) so I don't think I could get an 07 for much less right now. There are 07 Accord owner's who are having more problems with their cars than I've had with my 03, which is none. I would have no problem buying an 08 Accord, but I might want to wait until the 09s are about to hit the lots, if I was willing to wait for a bargain.
  • Options
    My guess is what will happen with the new Accord will be much the same when the new Camry was introduced a little over a year ago. High demand and scarcity of certain models (namely the SE, which has a sport-tuned suspension that none of the other models had). But time changes many things, and now you can get them at close to invoice at auto-malls.

Of course it's hard to know since we haven't any info on specific model configurations.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Pricing of the 2008 Accords wil no doubt follow the pattern set by Honda's last new sedan/coupe introduction, that of the 2006 model year Civics in September 2005. Here's a link to the Honda Civic: Prices Paid & Buying Experience thread starting in late November 2005. You may want to read a few hundred posts to find that there were no bargains for the first six months.

eric29, "Honda Civic: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #2460, 29 Nov 2005 12:15 pm
  • Options
    obieobie Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for your input. However with regard to "There is no #3 that includes complaining to your co-members," I think it's OK to offer a polite reminder or request to steer things back on track,and not have to bother the host over such a small thing. Whether it works or not all depends on who else uses the forum.

So, any interesting tidbits/rumors :confuse: about the upcoming 2008 Accord? What do you all think are the chances of getting climate control with out leather?
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "You may want to read a few hundred posts to find that there were no bargains for the first six months."

I think that post an interesting delimma, getting an 07 with a lot of discount and low money factor or waiting for an 08 knowing that one will have to pay full (or close to full) msrp and pay high money factor for the first 6-9 months. From a lease perspective, one can lease an 07 ex-l V6 with Nav for about 330 a months + tax or so with 600-700 drive off for 3yr/12k miles right now. For an 08, we will be lucky to be able to lease on for 450+tax with the same kind of equipment which will bump it up to Acura TL territory... I have an 04 EXL V6 and want to upgrade one with Nav. I can's see going to an 07 for a essentially same car. But I also can't see going to an 08 and pay the same kind of money as TL...What a bummer of decision...
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Nobody should pay more than invoice for any car regardless of who makes it. The dealer will still make his cut on hold back money.

-Rocky
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    topgun7,

You wrote "I have an 04 EXL V6 and want to upgrade one with Nav." If you don't already have one, you can buy a portable navigation system that will do fine on your 2004 vehicle until the 2008 prices start to come down. The Garmin nüvi series units are great.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    What alot of money to spend just because you want built-in nav now.
    Might as well just get a used or 2007 TL instead or just deal with not having nav for another year .
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The Garmin nüvi series units are great.

I hate the gay commercial so much I don't think I could own one without getting a mental image of the dork in my head. :P

-Rocky
  • Options
    I have the basic Garmin StreetPilot c330. It now costs less than $300 at Wal-Mart. Voice guided turns, and lots of neat features, like a trip computer. Not bad for the money, plus, I've used it in 4 different vehicles now, ranging my two Accords, to my aunt's van, to my friend's 10 year old Maxima.

Try that with a built in system!
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Nuvi is best for most people as long as you get one that reads announces the street names. With those, you don't even have to look at the screen. All the Nuvis read street names except the new low end 200-series models.
  • Options
    Yeah, Nuvi is best, but StreetPilot is the big value to me.
This discussion has been closed.