Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have a Mio GPS. Kinda neat as it can be hacked and turned into a PDA, and will play movies etc.

One thing I would like to see on future Accords is an SE-L, or an EX-L without a sunroof. It would be great to have the comfy seats (power and lumbar) with the extra headroom. My head firmly hit the roof on the EX models - unless I tilt the seat back, and forget about the back seat.
    Without the sunroof I found the Accord to be the best in class.

The new Nissan is the worst - don't get the sloping back. What is the point of adequate legroom if there is no headroom.

This is actually part of the reason I bought an 07. Camry and Altima both lost headroom, and I feared Honda would do the same - form over function. Of course wagons always have a ton of headroom, but no nead to bring that up. ;)
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    I wonder if they will increase the length of the vehicle?
    I thought that my Accord was a little short in the leg room department. But I could see a more efficient use of the cars frame as well.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Accords shouldn't be about GROWTH. That's what Buicks, vans, trucks, Escalades and Hummers are about.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    You're so right about the sunroof. Trying to buy a well equipped (higher-end) model (of any make) w/o one isn't easy, and has frustrated many of the new Camry buyers as well. An 08 SE with available leather would be a welcome addition to the Accord line.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that the SE model was reserved until near the end of the design cycle...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Honda plays around with the SE model so it means nothing now.
    It used to be a high end model, now it is a weird mix of equipment on the 4 cylinder and it's the low end of the V6 model.

Same with Ford and their LX models. They fluctuate between using LX for base and high end designations.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Agreed. We also bring our c330 with us whenever we're flying somewhere & renting a car at our destination. It makes finding our way out of the airport & around a strange city much, much easier.

Like you, I can't see the point of buying a new car just to get built-in nav.
    All I'm trying to point out is it seems some automakers have the idea that almost everyone who is willing to pay for a higher end model must also want a sunroof, and it would be nice if they recognized that isn't the case.
    I actually always thought that it was a way to clean-out whatever equipment they had leftover towards the end of a design run; I think the 93 Accord SEs were high end ones, but I had a 97 Accord SE that was positioned somewhere between the LX and EX.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    If you have noticed, but the new jetta has leather in all their models except the value edition, now, it may not be real leather in every model, but if you want cloth you will have to buy the value edition. I think that honda should make their cars like this, It would make all of them, more appealing. Although if they could make some really nice cloth seats, sporty, which wear really well, then that would be fine too.

I personally want a sunroof in my car, and feel that the special edition should have one, because it is the special edition. Also their are people that don't want sunroofs, so having some cars without would be tricky. Also, I have noticed that the sunroofs in the car aren't really all that big, so there isn't much point in having one, there is more room on the roof, therefore, make it bigger. I have an SE, and miss my sunroof so bad! I will be trading for the 08.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Leather or vinyl seats may be more appealing to you, but to others (such as me) they make a car unacceptable.
    Leather and sunroofs are two of the most polorizing options and in my opinion should both be deletable.

To me an EX-L without a sunroof is worth more thaan one that has one. Some people feel the same about leather.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    :blush:

eh, i thought it was. until i realized that its gas mileage isn't really that much of an improvement over my rabbit. (which would annoy me more than cheaper service and maybe better long term reliability.)

Give me the euro civic hatch (with more than likely americanized styling) with the 1.8 or even the k20a and i'll be good! ;)

But if that is just simply un-doable, a honda accord wagon 4cyl, or a diesel even, would fit the bill NICELY. I don't think that they should have to worry about competion aside from the jetta, (someone mentioned an altima diesel in 2009, but i thought the first nissan diesel was suppossed to be in maxima guise? :confuse: and not until 2010? They just barely jumped on the hybrid boat, diesels in the u.s. seems too soon.), and it would be great on gas.(diesel, i mean.) Heck, if the new 4cyl in the accord is going to be better on gas AND more powerful, i'd even settle for a wagon version of that.
    Yes, that is true, some people prefer to have cloth or leather or no sunroof, which are good points on both ends. Cloth will most likely still look better than leather over the years, mainly because people do not take care of them. Me, I like my sunroof, and don't know what I was thinking when I bought my accord without, I am one that likes it open alot. Some people dont even use it at all, so it does not matter. I want the leather, because I won't have to put the lint roller on my black seats. But then again if I get leather their is the moisterizer that I have to put on all the time too. So there are good and bad to each option. My next accord, is going to be a 4cyl again. I love the economy, yet the powerful engine too.
  • hondaruhondaru Member Posts: 11
    Partly true, but frankly don't think Honda has carefully tested that thesis here in the U.S. and that doesn't account for all those potential Honda wagon buyers who went to Subaru (my self and my Honda mechanic included). I doubt Honda even knows how many sales is has lost. Give me a diesel wagon and I will trade in my Outback.
    To me an EX-L without a sunroof is worth more than one that has one.

Agreed! Yet the truth is it's a $1000 worth of unwanted equipment for a lot of people. As best I can tell, the only difference between an SE and a LX, with the latter being a grand more, is the sunroof and "ambient console lighting" (not even sure what that is). I think I could live w/o the extra lighting, save a grand and go with the SE.

Lets hope Honda still offers this model or one like it in '08. I'm also with you diesel fanatics as well. Are you listening, Honda?
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I have an 03 EXL and love it. I looked at an EX and found no power seat just a button to raise and lower the seat how rediculous. I will buy another EXL if they make it larger like the Avalon and get better gas mileage . It is already good but I think Americans will finally wake up and demand better mileage and get rid of the ugly SUV's
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I will buy another EXL if they make it larger like the Avalon

Oh PLEASE don't turn the Accord into an Avalon! My granddad would love it, but I want something more exciting than a Toyota!
  • masterncmasternc Member Posts: 14
    These were just released from the Temple of VTEC

2008 Honda Accord Sedan Spied on the Street
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Looks good, I was worried they'd dilute the coupe too much, but the basics seem to have survived. Actually kind of looks like what I wish the BMW 5 had looked like at it's last Bangled restyle.
    Hey dudleyr, check it out = NO Sunroof!!

To me it looks slightly bland but that's OK considering Honda didn't make it goofy looking like the new Camry.
    Looks nice. Glad to see they didn't swoop the back too much. Headroom should be OK.

Yes no sunroof (good sign) - I imagine that is the LX. Maybe alloys are standard on the LX now. Even better would be that it is an EX without a sunroof.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think it looks larger.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    First thought: Saturn Aura morphed with a BMW 5 series.

Not very original looking.

The Camry looks better.

I will still reserve final judgement until the release.
    My first impression lends me to see this car as having the front end the Acura RL should have had. In fact, the whole shape looks better to me.

Once again, the design goes back to conservative.

In 1990-1993, the design was squarish.

For 1994-1997, Honda played up the angles.

Then, in 1998, Honda squared stuff back off, and went conservative, eliminating some character.

2003 brought a more polarizing, angular design.

2008, is more conservative again. Looks MUCH better than the overly busy/puffy-looking Camry, and better than the (already not-bad-looking) Altima.

Exterior style is all just opinion, but I have a very positive one of this one. It looks classier than my Accord.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    So sad to see the middle rear light back on the rear deck. I love the 06/07 version with it on the truck lid.
    Agree that the 07 stop light looked good. But the new one is o.k. Now you see why it needs the AVTEC 3.5. It's growing with the baby boomers.
    I like the light in the trunklid of my 2006 too. I do like the fact that the Accord doesn't appear loooooooooooong, like the (albeit nice looking) Altima. It just looks too stretched. The Accord is more traditional in its lines, which I think is a good thing for Honda's flagship sedan.
    I wonder how much weight it will gain.

One thing I can't get out of my head is an all aluminum Accord. Imagine the 4-cyl minus a few hundred pounds. It would be like gaining 20 hp and being more nimble at the same time. Taller gears could be used since there would be less weight to get up the hills. Add a few more hp to the engine - or better yet keep the same hp and make it a tad smaller and lighter still (2.2l?)

Unfortunately cars always seem to go in the other direction. Despite this, the Accord seems to get more efficient all the time, so that is a good sign.

Amazing what cars have done in 20 years.
    I am liking it.

I see something between a BMW 5-Series and Saturn Aura, with the Accord coupe front end.

Now if we could just see the interior...
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Will the diesel engine arrive in 2008 or 2009?

What about the rumor of a Accord Wagon?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    this whole move to bloat the look of these sedans is not a good direction in my book.

i think the last thing they want to do is make the car look more like a camry. imho, the front-end and rear-end of the camry look absolutely terrible.

this car looks too much like the odyssey. no - not good. not svelt. bloated like suffering from water retention due to steriod intake.

i'm one hoping they are doing this to throw everyone off. as a loyal accord owner and fan, i would not buy this car.
    Motor Trend has an article and more spy shots here:

http://tinyurl.com/ysc3wg
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......you know, I subscribe to MT. Somehow, we missed that (and the reference to the 3.5l six)

..cheers..

ea..
  • bruuklinbruuklin Member Posts: 29
    I'll also resevre final judgment for the release, but my initial gut reaction wasn't great. I think the pics on Motor Trend look a little like a Sonata, and that's not a compliment. Very bland.

We'll see. Maybe when it's spruced up for the launch it will look better.
    I think (yes, maybe ONLY I) that this 2008 Accord sedan looks much cleaner and leaner than the puffier Camry. I'm also happy to see no "Bangle-Butt" on the rear. People mentioned the TL's character line. Notice, something is taped up in the picture. It may be that line.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The tape covering all the lines doesn't exactly have a flattering effect. Since Honda gave us an early look at the coupe, maybe we will get an early look at the sedan too. Is there an auto show coming in the near future?
    O.k. It's larger but it's certainly not bulbous and borderline odd like the Camry. It will look better and more chiseled of a piece when all tape is off.
    "Is there an auto show coming in the near future?"

No. The New York International Auto Show, earlier this month, was the last one for this year.
    that's good. i hope you are correct. the more i look at the thing, the more i see of the odyssey. it's growing on me a tad.

recently i looked closely at the front end of a camry in our parking lot at work. couldn't believe how much space there was behind the bumper and in front of the radiator.

what was Toyota thinking (presuming they were thinking)?
    The best idea I've come up with is that it has something to do with the European's pedestrian safety-related crash regs, which require a high front end, perhaps with a crush zone. Of course, maybe the stylists were drunk that day...
    funny... i had exactly the same two thoughts. however, if honda and others can do it and not have a disproportionate, protrusive, style mis-matched front-end, i presume toyota is astute enough to accomplish the same as well.

on the other-hand, the back-end is really truly horrific on that car, so i discounted the first possibility and figured they were getting hammered. :D
    I think if the accord is going to look like this, then its not as good as I expected, but I will wait to finalize my opinion when its officially out without the tape. I am really excited about it, but kinda disappointed, because the coupe looks great, and the sedan looks sorta blah. Well, I guess will find out soon. I would really like to see the interior. I think, when that time comes I'll get an 08, but I think I am ready for a head turner this time, so who knows.
    Unfortunately, it seems like Honda puts better designs in both the Accord and Civic coupes over the years, so I'm not too surprised. But it is a major improvement over the 2007, IMHO.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The bulbous front grille area is the only thing I don't like about the current Camry. If Toyota smoothed that out, the design would be vaguely Mazda-like, but I think it'd be very sharp. As is, I like the rear end of the Camry better than any other midsizer out there, save the Altima, and the sides of the vehicle have more contour and character than the former iteration. Some here have mentioned that the front end has to do with pedestrian safety measures, and I could swear I recall that being the case, having read that somewhere (unless it was on another one of these boards!).

I'm surprised on the reaction of this Accord. I think it will look sharp, and I like the angles. In general, I feel that sometimes as enthusiast we lose sight that these cars are designed for the masses, and generally vanilla designs are what sells. Personally, in this segment, I do think there is enough differentiation of style, but I'd like to see the mfrs. introduce stronger color palates.....silver and white make me cringe.

Just my .02.

:)
    ~alpha
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Couldn't agree more with the comment about car colors in general. Bland seems to be the operative word. Maybe that's just part of the overall middle-of-the-road appeal to the masses approach of mid-size sedans.

I'm old enough to remember some really interesting colors from the 1950s and '60s. Today, it seems gray, silver, white, and beige rule the day, and one manufacturer's beige is pretty much the same as the others.

The Volkswagen New Beetle, on the other hand, has some really interesting colors, to me. Can't really describe them, but there's a white and a sky blue, I think, that are like nothing else out there. I suppose Honda feels it's too risky to throw in some colors that would differentiate the Accord from the Camry, Altima, Sonata, etc. They did come up with a copper bronze recently that was a little different.

My reaction to these first photos is positive overall. Looks a little sportier to me than my current '04 Accord. The character line is a little like the Acura TL's.
    Yes, my wife's always had a red car. Now, no red cars, except Dodge...even the new Scion Xb has a very dark, murky set of colors. I imagine the Accord will follow suit, unfortuantely.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    a very bright red on the Camry, but I think its a bit too red/cartoony/fire-enginey. I used to like the 'Salsa Red' of the last generation. For either generation, I'd say that red is the slowest selling of the "colors".

~alpha
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    It's always very dicy for manufacturers to stray from the tried and true palate of colours. We all remember the teal greens and purples of the 90's, fake wood decals in the 80's and 70's. Vinyl roofs and continental fake spare tires. More than a few people took a bath at resale time with cars whose colours or options were no longer in vogue. The consumer ultimately makes the choice of colours for the car company, with more than a few saying I would not purchase that colour or check that option just in case.

With nich vehicles like the Beetle that have limited sales you can get away with pushing the colour envelope. The Honda Accord however has to be attractive to the masses, and unfortunately, they want something that blends in and easy to resale.

Hopefully Honda will listen to the few of us and offer a crazy colour like the copper bronze or burnt amber you mentioned. :shades:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I like the color blue of the Sonata (dark navy sort of), but I wasn't about to buy one just for the color. The blue the Accord has is just plain bad (too bright).
This discussion has been closed.