Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Future Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger

carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Does anybody have any news regarding Chrysler having a new mid-sized car to replace this current generation of Sebring and Stratus. I know Chrysler's next coming of mid-size cars will be based on the current Mitsubishi Galant platform but thats all I know. Will there be a coupe model versions of these future Chrysler mid-size cars? Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I'm guessing that Chrysler will reveal their plans for their new midsize sedans at the LA or Detroit auto shows. Seeing the new Fusion, Sonata, Camry, Aura must really want them to get these products on the market fast.

A sedan/coupe SRT version sounds pretty neat.

We'll just have to wait for a few more days to find out.
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Has Chrysler shown the new Sebring in the last few days? So far I have not seen anything.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Nope, Detroit is all about the Challenger, Imperial and Apsen.

The replacements for the Sebring/Status etc. will likley be shown at New York in April. Maybe Chicago next month, but I doubt it.

M
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    With all the press about Toyota's new Camry, I hope Chrysler will pull up their intros. If DCX can get a winner into the mid-size segment like the 300/Charger/Magnum/SRT look out. DCX will be heading up faster than GM/Ford are falling - and that's astounding!
    Some sketchy pics of the new Avenger/Stratus. The front looks like a Caliber and the rear like a Charger.

Stratus
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    From what I can see, I'd say front looks better than caliber and maybe more like sort of a cross between caliber and charger...and better than either, IMO.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    A NYIAS debut, right?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    A NYIAS debut, right?

Let's hope so. I'm soon to be in the market for a new vehicle and really want to see these cars. I like the Caliber but it's a touch too small. As soon as anyone gets some info on possible engines - please post.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I didn't see a coupe model of the Sebring in the pics so I guess no new Sebring Coupe? I don;t like like the looks of the Stratus because it looks too much like a Caliber and I don;t like the way the Caliber front end looks. From the look of the spy photo's the Sebring has a cleaner look to it than the Stratus.
  • davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    Allpar just posted Chrysler Sebring spy shots of the EUropean version complete with diesel engine and six-speed manual -
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/avenger.html (they use the same page for Dodge and Chrysler versions)

This has the first really good interior shot I've seen, and I'm disappointed.

As for coupes and convertibles, well - a convertible DEFINITELY since it's the best selling convertible - that's probably the only reason they kept the name Sebring! Coupes - well, maybe and maybe not. There was talk of it but they'd be late arrivals no matter what. They sold very very very few Sebring coupes but those were Mitsubishis anyway.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "This has the first really good interior shot I've seen, and I'm disappointed."

Well the interior is a far better interior than the existing model has in terms of quality of plastics. I don;t like however that the 07 Sebring looks like a Crossfire on the front end though. In my opinion the 07 Stratus looks better than the 07 Sebring.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Did Doctor Z take a vacation when the new Sebring was approved? Oh well, it may look better in person. You can't always tell by the photos, but I doesn't look promising. Do like the looks of the '06 though.
    -Loren
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That is true, but this thing just doesn't look good from any angle. It is Caliber meets 300 meets Crossfire with a Toyota Avalon rear trunklid/sail panel thrown in for good measure:

Nasty looking in pics....

M
  • mrsjenn25mrsjenn25 Member Posts: 10
    Yuck! I agree! As an owner of an 04 Sebring Coupe, I must say I don't think they could have done any worse of a job while re-styling.

Haha, yeah, Dr. Z must have been MIA. Along with the other strange mods the doors and fender look like a Saturn! :surprise:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    What a disaster.
    Maybe the Dodge version will look better.
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 11
    I really like the looks of this car. Given the choice between the Sebring, a Ford Fusion, a Ford 500, Chevy Malibu, Volkswagon Passat. I'd take the Sebring. The new Camry beats all of these cars.

Dr Z make the diesel available in the US and I'll buy one.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    There are new Dodge Avengers photos. Looks much better than Chrysler.

http://www.chryslerweblog.com/?p=837&CFID=1770949&CFTOKEN=18141443
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Looks like a small Charger with some resemblance to a Caliber.
    Much better than Sebring, so it at least looks good enough to me to not be completely dismissed on looks alone as long as you like Charger styling.
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    Very nice looking, much like a scaled down Charger. Good choice of engines, but I'm wondering why there's no manual transmission choice, even with the four? This is the class of cars where the Accord and Camry compete. Honda offers manual trans with its four and its V6. I'm hoping DCX will make manuals available later. I'm also hoping for an SRT6 version.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    it doesn't look too bad.

If Chrysler sells a lot of these to rental fleets I wouldn't mind picking up a 2 year old ex-rental in around 4 years to use as a basic around town car.
    Can we change the name of this forum to Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger, since we know the Stratus name has been dropped?

Anyway, there's a Sebring review up on Edmunds now. The hard drive based nav sounds interesting. Good to see they are offering nav unlike the Fusion and Malibu. Overall it seems like a very good car.

There is also Avenger and Sebring wallpaper up at desktopmachine.com
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    Great looking car!
    I love the idea of a mini-Charger ..... BUUTTT....
    why not make it a mini-Charge in spirit, too?? RWD RWD RWD!!!

For the love of GOD, please STOP trying to out-japanese the japanese!! Gimme this car with the 3.5 engine and a manual tranny in RWD!!!!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• killdarekilldare Member Posts: 1
    check engine light came on had it checked said it was idling to high,Help thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks, q! You beat me to the punch.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.