Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln MKX

Comments

• Options
    You are likely right again, akirby. It's just that...

Well, I remember some of the other times FoMoCo was in trouble, saleswise. For example, back in the mid-80's, when I couldn't have afforded a Lincoln, Ford brought out the Taurus/Sable twins. The original Taurus was bold and right for its time. Although the Sable shared almost everything with Taurus, Ford even with its limited budget, ingeniously gave each one a separate presence; they generally were not confused with one another. Rather than worrying about distinquishing the doors or front fenders, etc, the rear roofline variation made them seem totally different cars.

They waited two years to bring out a Lincoln version (the first FWD Continental) that not even a discriminating buyer could see much Taurus in. Of course they had the luxury of waiting to get the Continental right (for its time, remember), because the 87 rear drive Continental was already available as a pretty and luxurious alternative (again, for its time) to the much larger Town Car.

A little ingenuity goes a long way and doesn't cost much. The Ford brass keep saying they are planning to introduce greater distinction among their car lines soon. Guess I'll wait for that, and until then, cheer any sales increases from the sidelines.
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    As I look at it, what advantages does it offer over the Ford 'Edge'?
    --------------------------------

I agree. Why pay 10k more for a vehicle that is essentially the same? I sure won't for the privilege of saying "I drive a Lincoln."

Here's how they could have differentiated the two...a V8 and AWD for the MKX. No FWD model. That would justify a 10k price difference.

The Fusion and Zephyr, same thing. Put a small V8 in the Zephyr and it would have a luxury/performance appeal beyond the Fusion.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    First, there won't be a $10K price difference. Maybe $4K at most, just like the Fusion/Zephyr. Probably get memory seats, cooled seats, better quality materials, more sound deadening, THX audio. Some options will likely be Lincoln only like HIDs, bigger wheels, etc. The Zephyr is selling great and I expect the MKX to do the same.
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
  • Options
    Meanwhile BMW has the M3 and M5 and Infiniti has the M35 and M45, but you don't hear either one of them in court. I'm sure they'll just change it to Mark X and Mark S and be done with it.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    What Ford will probably do is counter on the "S-Type" moniker, which is very similar to Honda's "Type-S", also, the MKX is reflective from a Jaguar vehicle from decades ago named just that, MKX.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    You can now price and build an MZX at Lincoln.com!!!!!! Entry price is 33K which is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT pricing, though it is subject to change but probably won't. GO LINCOLN GO!!!
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Drivetrain
    - AWD $35960

Options
    - DVD Navigation System $1955
    - Panoramic Vista Roof™ with Dual Power Sunshades $1855
    - Reverse Sensing System $240
    - THX II® Certified Sound System with 14 Speakers $970
    - Ultimate Package $1955

Colors
    - Exterior Color: Black Clearcoat
    - Interior Color: Medium Camel with Anigre Wood (Light)

Destination Charge $635

Total Price
    $ 43,570

Not a bad price. Go easy on the options and it will be a bit less. Still, I wouldn't say its over priced.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Honda is going to have a very hard time preventing a Lincoln from using MKX or is it MK X?

Non words cannot be trademarked. Just like a series of numbers cannot be trademarked. Remember Intels x86 naming scheme for CPUS? 286, 386, 486?

Intel went with Pentium because they WANTED somethign the could trademark.

One assumes that is one of the reasons Five Hundred is spelt out on the car and not 500.

The letter naming is really stupid if you ask me. Deep down Lincoln KNOWS its stupid which is why they are keeping Navigator

Mark
  • Options
    Plus, Navigator would become MKN and MKNL, and the pickup would be MKLT. Going to 4 letter monikers is really entering the twilight zone.

BTW, MKX pricing looks reasonable to me too--although it also looks like too much equipment people will want is optional, not standard. I like the approach taken with the Zephyr which has a very short option list.
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    There are 17,576 possible combinations of 3 different letters.
    I don't think it's coincidence that 2 Luxury branded mid-size FWD/AWD SUV's happen to be called MDX and MKX.
    Ford should hope it gets sued to save them from this.

The Base price sounds good, but after all those $2000 options, I don't see too many rolling out the door at the full-retail $44k. They just don't have the cred to pull that off.
    Better start planning the rebates.

The Zephyr seems to have a good pricing strategy, with relative few options at reasonable prices and it's already the best selling Lincoln.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I think that if you can have a Q45 and a Q7 than an MKX and an MDX can co-exist. If you can have an M45 and a M5 in the same segment, I think the same.

The MDX can get pricy, but I for one, am good with the base model. It comes really loaded up. Just look at the feature list. I think an RX, similarly equipped is far more expensive since it starts at $38K. Similarly equipped the Lincoln may undercut it a good $4K which is a good chunk of change. It already undercuts it $5K base to base.
  • Options
    Don't forget the BMW M3/M5 and Infiniti M35/M45.
  • Options
    music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    My wife actually accompanied me to the Cleveland Auto Show last week. We were looking for a replacement for our fifth awd Chrysler minivan since they're not offering that version anymore. We're also close to being empty nesters so seven seats weren't necessary anymore. The MKX seems perfect to us: SOTA transmission and engine, hid headlights, heated and cooled front seats, powered rear hatch and 3.5 engine. More than that, we both had a strong emotional response to the car. I can't explain why that was so, but there were many cars that felt....blah! We're gonna get an MKX this fall. It's nice to be able to shop cars that have some cachet!

Jay
  • Options
    simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Per the above thread
    What's a SOTA trans and engine??????/Simagic
  • Options
    State Of The Art
  • Options
    Unless you absolutely must have that MKX grill, you might also consider the Ford Edge. The new Ford three bar grill is attractive too. Otherwise, the body lines are the same, and the engine, transmission as well, with most of the same options available...but for less dollars. Maybe even less depreciation.

I for one do like the MKX grill, but I do wish the vehicle could have had more of the Aviator concept cues. (Oh well, at least it is not an 07 Navigator!)
  • Options
  • Options
    timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    The features that top my wish list are HID's and those new-fangled cooling seats, both of which aren't available on the Edge (MKX HID's yet to be comfirmed). AWD and premium sound are up there too, but the Edge offers this. I prefer the Edge exterior, but love the MKX interior (I think that light wood, and beige color combination is beautiful -- and that steering wheel is absolute perfection! -- again that's just my thoughts). I've never owned an American vehicle, that I'm seriously interested in this Ford product is a good sign (I think the Zephyr is a knock-out too). At over $40K for a loaded MKX, the competition will get a look before Lincoln gets my money. Guess we'll all have to wait until this fall for the final product. Love that automotive anticipation though! :)
  • Options
    Ford has never offered the cooled seats in anything except Lincoln products AFAIK, so don't expect those anytime soon in the Edge. I have them in my Aviator and while they're very nice, I don't think they're a deal breaker. I expect HIDs to be offered on the Edge and Fusion at some point but probably after 2007. At least they're offering navigation and the Vista Roof on the Edge.
  • Options
    Just wanted to throw in a side note on "Cooled" seats... In Lincolns...They ARE cooled. Some competitors offer "Ventilated", which is really nothing more than an fan blowing air from the cabin.
  • Options
    "Ford has never offered the cooled seats in anything except Lincoln products AFAIK, so don't expect those anytime soon in the Edge."

Wrong.
    You can get them in an Expedition.
  • Options
    I stand corrected, but I did say "As Far As I Know" which apparently isn't very far. Interesting that they offer it on the Expedition but not on the Explorer. They have them in the Aviator so it must be a marketing decision. I still wouldn't expect to see them on the Edge.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    ok when you see MKX use your name for MKX (It means Mark X). Also happening on the MKZ(new name of the zypher for next year) The Mark LT is just written out :shades: .
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "Just wanted to throw in a side note on "Cooled" seats... In Lincolns...They ARE cooled. Some competitors offer "Ventilated", which is really nothing more than an fan blowing air from the cabin."

Yes indeed - they are a Wonderful option, and I hope to never be without them. :cry:
  • Options
    I agree with you. Schnazzy as these new Alphabet Soup names are, (which I hate on Cadillacs), Town Car, Continental, Mark, Cosmopolitan, Premier, Aviator, Navigator - these were all names that people immediately identified with and they felt good to write down on the Hotel Registration Form. :(
  • Options
    displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Totally agree. Give me a name, not a designation.
  • Options
    Dear Host,

In order to find this forum one must go to "Show All Lincoln Forums". You need to fix the link to the MKX forum because right now it leads to a "What is Ford Up to Now" forum.

Back to the MKX. Can anyone confirm that the MKX will have hid headlights available?
  • Options
    onebaudonebaud Member Posts: 1
    I do not know where you are employed but I can tell you that you would love to see me come on the lot when the MKX comes out. I was going to buy a Lexus Rx330 early this year but I saw the MKX concept and decided to wait til October. I will be one of the first ones to order this car and I can hardly wait. Kudos to the Ford company for finally waking up.
  • Options
    Do you want it to have HID headlights, or LED lights - ?

I would prefer the LEDs, I think they're state of the art, aren't they?
  • Options
    Is anyone offering LED headlights? I know many offer LED tailights.
  • Options
    According to the Lexus website, the 2007 Lexus RX and GX have HID, not LED.

Per the Hyndai website, the Azera offers LED tailights, and the headlights are projector halogen.

HIDs are all over the place.
  • Options
    Everybody is - Lexus is for one, I'll bet the new Camry has them. I believe the new Hyundai Azera has them, and I even think the Sonata does. They're all over the place.

Does anyone have a good link to pictures on this car? I have only seen vague stuff so far.....
  • Options
    Thus far, LED headlights have only been seen on concept cars. Wait, I think a new Aston Martin model may have LEDs in front, but I don't think they are the main light source.
  • Options
    ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    Actually the new 07 Lexus LS460 will be the first production vehicle to use LED's as a main source of light. pretty impressive.
  • Options
    Actually the new 07 Lexus LS460 will be the first production vehicle to use LED's as a main source of light. pretty impressive.

While no Lincoln plays in the Lexus LS 4-- league, it's only a matter of time before technology introduced on Lexus' flagship trickles down to the more plebeian ES, then to the Toyota Camry.

It's too bad Lincoln will seem an "also ran" when they get around to the LED headlights shown on the MXS concept. If the bean counters will allow the cost. Lincoln and Cadillac's advertising themes used to be "nothing could be finer" and "the standard of the world." No longer.
  • Options
    waltawalta Member Posts: 13
    I was just up at the lincoln.com, and used their "pre-design" for the MKX.

I was kind-of shocked at the "future option" tease offered. Basically, "here are some really great options that you can't have in your 2007 MKX". :P What were they thinking? That a tease like this would actually make me want to run out and buy a 2007 MKX right away?

There where indeed some things in their future option list I would really want, like Bluetooth and HID headlights, options that the competition already offers, but I want them now. :mad:
  • Options
    Basically, "here are some really great options that you can't have in your 2007 MKX". What were they thinking? That a tease like this would actually make me want to run out and buy a 2007 MKX right away?

Of course not. The idea is to survey potential customers and see which future options they would be willing to pay for. That will help them determine which features to add and how much customers are willing to pay for that feature. If a lot of people choose an option they'll be more likely to add it or add it quicker.
  • Options
    waltawalta Member Posts: 13
    The idea is to survey potential customers and see which future options they would be willing to pay for.

But how does that help sell more 2007 models? :confuse:

Ford could certainly do a survey, without adding unavailable options to their configure your own 2007 MKX. It is placing the list there, which really makes it a tease.
  • Options
    One of Ford's problems is trying to be TOO responsive to what the wants and needs of the market might be. Take no chances before exhaustive polls. They gather reams of data on consumer preferences, do tons of focus groups, and gather feedback by the second on models already being marketed.

It's got to be helpful, but I think it is also telling that so many of Ford's products have had very conservative updates and re-designs, and they have the fewest new products in the pipeline, beyond the planned conservative updates of the Super Duty, 500/Montego, the Expedition/Navigator, the Escape/Mariner, as well as the already out there unremarkable re-do's of Explorer and Focus.

They are reduced to thinking that the Fusion now has really innovative styling (well, for Ford perhaps it does) when it is really not a styling standout against the 2007 Camry and Altima. It is a matter of personal preference, not standout innovation. Ford could use a sedan that sells as well as the Mustang does. Or even the lame duck Taurus.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep takes risks and cranks out new models and redesigns quickly. Not every one hits the mark, but sales are good for the company. Meanwhile, Ford struggles to hold on to its dwindling market share and hasn't gotten any real traction yet. I suspect they'd be in a different place if the 427, the Forty-Nine (instead of that crazy T-bird 2 seater), Fairlane, Meta One, European Focus, and Lincoln Continental were all on the road now. Not all would have been sales blockbusters, perhaps, but they would have been seen as innovators like Chrysler.

Further, seeing what people would pre-order is one thing. However, many companies equip their vehicles heavily with new features and people learn to want and appreciate them by using them. It's a different approach, but seems to serve some automakers rather well. The MKX deserves some innovation that will truly make it a wannahave when compared with its clone, the Edge.
  • Options
    Maybe they will play the MKX just like the Zephyr, I mean the MKZ.

Rush it to market in some half-baked fashion, once it's received a tepid response and made a weak first impression, and they see if it sells or not, then come back in a few months and complete developing it, or just cancel it.

(For reference see: Marauder, T-bird, Mark LT, Blackwood, Contour, Freestyle...)

It's s almost sad to see how "tight" Ford plays. Anyone who's ever watched a single game, in any sport knows the team who is wound up and full of anxiety because they HAVE to win, often loses to the relaxed team that is just there to have fun.

The sad part is the "bold moves" ad campaign Ford is running now.
    I think Chrysler should own that motto.
  • Options
    That's right - Lexus seems to be the "Cadillac of Cars" these days..... How ironic, eh?
  • Options
    I can't believe Ford won't offer HID xenon headlights on the Edge or MKX! There's a very similar Acura cuv coming out this summer (i.e 5-seats w/ hatch) but its 250 horses come from a turbo four and it has a five-speed transmission. The price looks like it'll be mid-30's. This omission on the Edge/MKX KILLS any possible sale to me. Ford blew it....again!

Jay
  • Options
    You're right. What Ford often misses, is it's the little things that break a deal. Take-aways are most annoying. They think we are too dumb to notice that our new Taurus has drum rear brakes, whereas our old one had disk all around. That just makes me furious. The headlights and taillights are critical. Often, the newest trick offerings get the sales..
  • Options
    That's what happens when you let accountants plan your products.

If you make the right product and show respect for the intelligence of your buyers success will follow.

It's so transparent when they have a "we're in the business of making money, not cars" attitude.
    Ask Roger Smith how that attitude worked out.

I think this headlight thing will go like Ford's "better idea" not to include side airbags as standard on the Fusion. They will "save money" by not including it, take a beating in the press and in the court of public opinion and after they have been fully-clowned, will back down and include them later, after they look foolish.
  • Options
    Starting 2007, powertrain warranties for Ford/Mercury's will be stretched to 5 years, 60K miles, and 6 years, 70K miles for Lincoln.

I've been at pushing this for years if some of you have remembered from earlier posts.
  • Options
    That's great- It's a obviously a valuable sales tool, but more importantly, conveys a sense of confidence in their product.
  • Options
    Hooray!!! For the first time in a while, I have hope again that Ford may recover!! OF course, GM will have to follow, and Chrysler, but this move has been successful for every carmaker who has done it. I wish they'd go all the way to 100,000 miles, but it's a great start! Thanks for making it happen, ANT. I know you've been pushing for this for years....

Why are you killing the Town Car so soon? NV
  • Options
    Remember back in 1997, Ford discontinued the Aspire, Probe, Aerostar, all in the same year. At that time, it related to regulations with passenger front airbags. Instead of spending money on retrofitting those vehicles for the new federal requirements, it made sense to discontinue them since they where at their end of their product cycle anyways...So knowing this, those vehicles were left to linger mostly unchanged till 1997.

Ok, for the TC...federal mandate requires specific placement of fuel tanks. Instead of retrofitting the vehicle for it, best to replace it with another new entry anyways since it's been getting long in the tooth anyways. The expense of re-engineering those vehicles is better spent on the introduction of one that will appeal to a larger crowd, rather than livery/fleet/police, duty. Although, in certain aspects, the CV/GM will linger a bit longer before going DOWN UNDER.
  • Options
    Thanks, ANT. I feel much much better understanding the logic behind the decision. I stand ready to purchase another Lincoln someday, when they replace the Town Car with another large Sedan. I am partial to the brand. Meantime, I'm shopping for a Jag XJ. The Lexus I bought as a stopgap car is certainly a good car - but about as exciting as Ben Stein at a spelling bee.....