Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    I just realized the TCS section only explains the engine TCS portion of the sytem; the full TCS control logic includes brake TCS.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    can anyone till me what they paid for a gls with
    all wheel drive and anti lock brakes. my dealer wants more than list!
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I have the FWD Santa Fe with ABS and TCS. I live in Utah on a fairly steep hill and we've had plenty of Olympic snow this year. No problems getting anywhere with the SF, and you get better pick-up and gas mileage with FWD. Unless you'll be driving constantly through fairly deep snow, I don't think the extra $$ is worth it. ABS and TCS seems to be plenty.

-Jason
  • SAULADLERSAULADLER Member Posts: 8
    Thanks hyundaima for those 2 web sites. I printed out the information for my records.

Question:

Under "Service Notes" it mentions that the two differentials and transfer case must be checked for lubricant levels. Do you think the average mechanic would know to this properly if told to...or should the Santa Fe be taken to the dealer for the check up?

Thanks for any advice.

Saul

P.S. Thanks for past advice on the transmission fluid.
  • lpjxk0lpjxk0 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 silver Santa Fe 4wd lx loaded with 2650 miles on it. I am thinking of buying the hood deflector from Hyundai,it is only $55.00. Does anyone have any feedback about the deflector positive or negative. Years ago I had one on my Chevy Blazer and when driving on the highway you would get annoying whistle sound.

Thanks Jim
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have the new car bug and may be someone can kill it.My 98 Coupe is 4 years old and I was thinking of the 2002 CRV but they are adding $1000
    markup to them plus limited availability.I drove one and like it.Over a year ago I drove the SF
    and felt it sluggish.I see the SF V6 advertised
    for $2000 off of msrp and that would be a lot less than a CRV.I have owned Acuras for years
    so I am spoiled for quality.Would I be disappointed getting the SF?
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    tomsr:

I don't think you're gonna get a new SF at $2k off of MSRP. Better read the small print in that ad. =;-)
  • SamsdadSamsdad Member Posts: 17
    You would be more than happy with the SF. We test drove SF vs CRV, and the SF is much more vehicle than the 2002 CRV at the same or much price. They were asking over MSRP on an EX ( No leather!)and a 3 month wait. Build quality so far is as good as the CRV.
    As for 2000 off MSRP, no way. They only mark up about 1300-1500 from invoice. You might want to check that sticker. We went to one dealer that added on $2000 for, get this.. window etching, and pinstripes. And the kicker was the SF didn't have any pinstripes on it!! needless to say we laughed at this when the salesperson was there, and walked away, and bought elsewhere. No way would I buy from a dealer who started out like that.
  • amcdan1amcdan1 Member Posts: 14
    A local Hyundai dealership is selling 2002 Santa Fe's at dealer invoice. This kind of surprised me. In other words, a 02 GLS 2WD with ABS, floor mats, roof rack, cargo organizer would be around $19,500 at invoice.

Is there a "catch" I should be looking for?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I had a 97 CR-V for 4 years when I traded it in for a Santa Fe V6 AWD. No disappointment in quality either build quality or design. The AWD system on the Santa Fe is vastly superior to what Honda use's.
  • SamsdadSamsdad Member Posts: 17
    Cosair, we just bought a SF, and we that too was our biggest worry. I can't tell you for certain, how well the warrenty work is, or how well the quality will stand up. Its all a gamble anyway. I have had toyotas in the past that were piles, and the warrenty wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Not because of Toyota, but because the local dealer was a [non-permissible content removed]. My best advice, is go to the dealership, and talk to the service manager. Ask him if he's had any problems with warrenty work for Hyundai. Also get a feeling if you like him. If he's a jerk, and not helpful, then maybe look elsewhere. We got lucky, and the service manager at the dealership we bought from, seems to be a really nice guy who cares about his work.

Also one other thing, Hyundai's sales have gone through the roof, so they are making lots of money. this means that they will be more likely to honor their warrenties than if they were having to fight for their lives, and count every dollar. JMHO.
  • cosaircosair Member Posts: 2
    The warrenty looks great on paper, but can you collect on it? Have you had to use it alot?

We are very close to buying a LX, but the unknowns about this company and the long term service and quality are holding us back.

How has your experience been? Are the 2002 much better than the 2001 like the dealers say? Are the bugs out?

This is a very big decision for my family, we will never be able to afford the $30k SUV's and the used ones we buy for $10k are always breaking down. The Sante Fe looks like the answer...is it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I moved your post here so you wouldn't have to retype it. That's why the time is off.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cosaircosair Member Posts: 2
    Does it "work"? Do you have to use it a lot?

Please share...my concerns on this area are the only thing holding me back from buying one.
    dealer does not know at what speed the tcs can work to. i ask because my acura has tcs and only operates to 18 mph. maybe the santa fe has a different system does anyone have info on this
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    I bought a 2001 Santa Fe LX. I have had it for 15 months it has performed perfectly in every way.

I have had one instance where I used the warranty, the plastic cover that covers the bolts that hold the roof rack, one of them blew off while I was on a trip. The dealer replaced them promptly.
  • actionballactionball Member Posts: 6
    Irchome, I just lost that cover yesterday in a carwash dryer cycle. It just blew off and broke the tabs that (kind of) hold it on. Did your dealer give you a hassle about it? It will be our first glitch...other than a violent car wreck...in 7k miles.

I wish we had gotten the car rackless after seeing the interior bike rack setup hyundai offers. We have never even had our crossbars on and the rack is just a noise generator and gas user.
    The dealer was very cooperative , he even mailed the cover to me,so I did not have to drive 30 miles to his shop.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    no speed limit for the FTCS operation. It can kick in at the vehicle's top speed.
    Here Santa Fe SUVs are filling the lot's and they are dealing.I got an internet quote of $300 over invoice.I even took a test drive with a salesman
    and he said he would knock $1000 of list without
    any hesitation.As far as the vehicle goes it is
    rock solid and well built.The only negative is two things.The engine doesn't have a lot of low in torque so take offs are slow and the front end looks like a large mouth bass.I have an Acura with
    VTEC engine and only 4 cylinders but it will burn
    rubber with an automatic tranny.Does Honda have a patent on VTEC?
    I was just checking customer ratings on Car Point. The Santa Fe comes out with 9.1 overall, 9.3 Recommendation; the highest of all SUV'S I've checked there; higher than CR-V, Highlander, MDX, BMW X5, Forester, etc...

For those of you who still hesitate due to the old Hyundai reputation that is something to consider...
  • thecpathecpa Member Posts: 16
    The Santa Fe is surprising a lot of people. In addition to carpoint, it took top of its class (small Ute) at autopacific.com and astoundingly placed #34 on their list of all brands and models tested! There are a lot of very well regarded names on the list below the S/F. Its making a good showing on Consumerreview.com as well.

Bob Lutz, currently head of product development at GM, who was beside Iokoa when Chrysler was rescued, said last August that Hyundai was the greatest single threat to current US market share. Hyundai later ended 2001 with a 40+%gain for the year in unit sales. I guess he called it!
  • deke131deke131 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2002 Santa Fe GLS, and I am very pleased with this SUV. Everone I have showed it to, likes it. They all say it rides like a car-not a truck.
    It's bigger than a Jeep Liberty, and the ride is better.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    seen a post on here from hung0280(the #'s might be wrong but his nickname started with hung) for a long time. Yes, the same hung who had every accessory know to man on his Santa Fe. His Santa Fe is white and he lived in the SF Bay area. Remember him? He used to post here weekly and provided early Santa Fe prospective buyers with loads of enthusiasticly-given information. I learned a lot from him. I drive a Kia Sportage but follow the Hyundai Santa Fe forum here at Edmunds because it's my 2nd favorite SUV. Now Kia is making a new SUV that will compete with Santa Fe called Sorento. It looks awesome. There's plenty of excitement from these two Korean makers right now. AAMOF-Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo are it in autos right now for me. The others are a blip on the radar screen.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hung (0820) apparently hasn't posted here, in a while, but his website is still up. =;-) The URL is: <http://www.y2kcatalogs.com/santafe>
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    ... I haven't seen Tung post here lately, either. He stopped about the same time as Hung.

Seriously.

I wonder what happened?
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I believe they stopped posting here due the their perception of being bashed when they posted on other boards. They did provide a very enthusiastic support for the Sante Fe but apparently have decided not to frequent this sight any longer.
    i checked out a site that sells suv after market parts but cannot find the window visors that attach to the doors does anyone have them
  • wiredsungwiredsung Member Posts: 7
    also, Bluewind hasn't been posting much! I want him back!
    babe915:
    If the visors attach to the doors - wouldn't they be 'door visors'? =;-) Anyhow, why don'cha try http://www.nordleth.com/hyundai.cfm?Make=Hyundai
    or
    http://www.macneil.com/store/vehsearch.asp
  • pmartinezpmartinez Member Posts: 3
    I have been following this board since its inception. Seriously thinking of getting a 2002 Santa Fe 2WD 4 cyl with option package 3 ABS. Is a quote of 19,300 fair? Reside in NE PA.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That's almost MSRP! Are we looking at the same car?
    No way! In San Diego I was quoted $19500 for a
    GLS V6 with ABS.
    That price for pmartinez (#3139) may be good. I had to go three hundred miles just to get under MSRP! I live in north central Florida and my SF was delivered on January 20th. Apparently the San Diego market for Hyundais is saturated. Lucky San Diegoites - San Diagoans? San De... Well you get the idea. =;-)
  • santafedonsantafedon Member Posts: 1
    http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00042.htm

Seems a recall is coming for 2001 V-6. Crankshaft position sensor failure can result in engine stalls.

txsantafe:

>Not all the 2001's are being recalled. Just the ones made between 07/01 and 02/01.
    >=======================

Wanna try those dates again? =;-)
  • txsantafetxsantafe Member Posts: 25
    Those vehicles built between 07/00 through 02/01 are subject to the recall. If you are wondering when your SF was built, open the driver's door and look down and to the right for a small plate showing the manufactured date.
    The dates of the recall are March 2000 to February
    2001. So all the Santa Fe's built in the 10 months of 2000 and the 2 months of 2001, are being recalled.
  • SAULADLERSAULADLER Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum a valuable, useful and enjoyable resource.

Would anyone know how many Santa Fe's have actually stalled due to this CPS problem? (50? 100? 200?)

And would anyone have an idea as to why the NHTSA would issue a recall for this CPS sensor problem and not issue a recall for the other problem... of 290 Santa Fe Engines failing due to cylinder liners cracking or slipping inside the block as discussed on this forum and in the following article:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hyundai00108cci1.shtml

All vehicles have some problems, and its a forum like this that helps us keep our cars safe to be on the road.

Thanks again to all.

I think the Crankshaft Position Sensor recall will cover those 290 SF that were mentioned in the Orange County Register since the pistons are attached to the crankshaft. If the sensor is defective then crankshaft and pistons could become out of alignment causing stalling and engine block damage.

If I am wrong, please let me know nicely.
    I am leaning toward the CRV cause of quicker
    acceleration.Here internet prices are msrp and
    sticker prices are +$1000 for CRV.It will cost me
    $22700 for CRV EX dealing with internet rep.
    It will cost me $21500 plus $1000 for moonroof.
    The low end torque of the VTEC Honda makes for
    spirited driving whereas the low torque at low rpms of Santa Fe makes for leisurely starts.Incidentally the Santa Fe I am talking about is LX model and the CRV is the EX.
    I just want to nicely let you know that you are very wrong in your explaination. The loose sleeves problem of the early V6 have nothing to do with the position sensor problem.
    Thanks