Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• greg128greg128 Posts: 337
    I interpret these reviewers as almost reluctantly admitting that this is a great car, and better than the competition despite their obvious anti GM bias.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,374
    Well, that makes me more likely to buy an Abarth!
    :D

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,373
    Actually, being familiar with each reviewer's videos, I'd say they are both pretty critical across the board, US, Euro or Asian make. Dykes has both ripped and praised many cars from the same make, and Cooley is, well, Cooley.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Cooley pulls no punches, I remember home calling the Outlander's stereo "just awful" and "tubby".

He likes tech, but well executed high end stuff.
    Some of his reviews of Mercedes Navi tech are just brutal.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    From the link...

Hard-working Americans should not have to choose between their free speech and their job," said Rana Elmir, spokeswoman for the ACLU of Michigan. "No employee should fear being fired for speaking out on issues of public concern. Retaliating against workers who publically comment on an array of issues including product quality and management practices is not only bad for business, but sends a chilling message to the rest of the work force. Employees have a right to air their grievances, even if that means a public demonstration or comments to the media."

Obviously, these folks haven't spent much time in the regular work force.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,899
    You best have a real strong Union backing you if you plan to express your feelings about the boss. Of course the UAW got those pot heads and boozers their jobs back at Chrysler. I consider poor performance and undisciplined workers a big reason so many jobs are now done in other countries.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,174
    Not to mention that the UAW didn't support this guy's beef.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

It seems a lot of the old time UAW people have already forgotten how close they came to being in the poor house. Fiat Chrysler is expanding in the US and trying to put roadblocks is not real bright. I remember people in the Teamsters whining about shift changes. They forget who signs the paychecks.
    There has to be a way for those affected to provide feedback. It should be constructive, sure, but they can't just be told to shut or else.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Obviously, these folks haven't spent much time in the regular work force.

Boy, I was thinking the exact same thing from 32 1/2 years of post-college employment and a few years prior to then too!
    There has to be a way for those affected to provide feedback. It should be constructive, sure, but they can't just be told to shut or else.

That is why they have a Union. The UAW agreed to the work rules. Time to live with it or go look for another job. People have put up with crappy hours and weekends forever. They should be tickled they are getting OT. That is extra money in their pockets. That was the worst part about being a shop steward, was putting up with worthless whiners. Most times they were the very people not carrying their weight on the job.
    edited March 2013
    Cooley is, well, Cooley

How about calling VW's head unit an "unmitigated disaster"?

http://youtu.be/1iGo-FIfoXo

Give the guy credit, though, he doesn't sugar coat it for his sponsors.

"Fail. Fail. Fail." :D
    "Satellite radio for 3 months, then its your problem."

Classic Cooley review. And it demonstrates once again the honesty in his evaluations. Just try guessing the conclusion before the video ends...
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    The alternate reality of the left comes shining through again.
    Updating this post, I actually went and drove a Civic Si this weekend and wrote up the experience here on the CCBA thread. In case anyone was wondering.
    A ugly one, they're telling people to park V6 models due to engine fires, 7 cases so far.

Fortunately only 2500 affected.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    A recall for a Chrysler is a positive thing. At least they are admitting something is wrong.
    Maybe its just me, but having a Challenger with just a V-6 seems a bit weird...
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,149
    Makes as much sense as those folks who purchased an Impala SS with the inline six back in the 1960s.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,906
    Maybe its just me, but having a Challenger with just a V-6 seems a bit weird...

It does, but apparently they're no slouch. I just looked up some numbers from here: http://www.zeroto60times.com/Dodge-0-60-mph-Times.html

Looks like a Challenger with the 3.6 V-6 is good for 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds. Even the Charger SXT is good for 6.5, and in the little Avenger, they're showing 6.2.

Of course, a Hemi's gonna be faster. But, any of those three listed above would be quicker than any car I've ever owned. I think my 2000 Park Ave is good for 0-60 in around 7.5 seconds. Dunno what my Ram would be. There are so many configurations that can change the weight by a significant amount, different axle ratios (mine ha s 3.21, but I think a lot of them have a 3.55). That site I posted above lists a 2013 Ram Hemi at 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. I don't think it's that fast though.

Hate to say it though, but if I bought a Challenger, I'd probably succumb to peer pressure and get the Hemi. Don't wanna be typecast driving a chick car! :shades:
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Looks like a Challenger with the 3.6 V-6 is good for 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds. Even the Charger SXT is good for 6.5, and in the little Avenger, they're showing 6.2.

That's significantly quicker than the much heralded mid 90's Impala SS. I doubt a 427 Impala SS could match a current v6 Challenger.
    Maybe they recalled the V6s to put Hemis in them. ;)

Sounds like they're plenty quick, but I'd want the Hemi for the sound.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,906
    Sounds like they're plenty quick, but I'd want the Hemi for the sound.

I'd be happy with the 3.6 V-6 in something like a Charger, which I would view as an every day sedan. Still quick enough for most needs, but fairly easy on the fuel bill.

but, to me, something like a Challenger is more of a toy, an extravagance. Something to treat yourself to that hopefully eases midlife crisis. So in that case, you might as well go all the way!

Strangely though, some of these new, high-powered engines really don't sound all that great to me. I don't think there's anything special about the sound of the Hemi in my Ram. One of our IT guys has a V-8 Camaro convertible. Brutally fast I'm sure, but it just doesn't sound all that hot. And, one day, I even heard a fairly new Corvette start up, and it even sounded a bit underwhelming.

I think the problem is that they're too sophisticated these days, and the sound is more tame, more faked, somehow. So even if the performance is there, the sound just seems lacking. Either that, or I just got too accustomed to the sound of a 360 with no muffler. :blush:
    To be honest I like the sound of the Mustang V8 the most, out of the 3.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, the Mustang sounds sweet, and that goes for all of the v8 versions.

Last year at the Chicago autoshow, Ford had a 2011 Mustang GT500 strapped to a dyno. Wow, it made the hairs on my neck stand up it sounded so good. For whatever reason, Ford has done a great job on the Mustang's sound track going all the way back to '85 or so.

My buddy with the Tundra has a dealer installed TRD dual exhaust and it sounds pretty good. But honestly it's almost to loud.
    I dunno....

Seems like marrying the prettiest girl in town, then sleeping in separate beds at night...

It just doesn't seem natural to me, but I guess if you really want that model, and that's what's in your price range, its a logical choice...

But, I do agree that the 6-cylinder of today is a far cry from the 6-cylinder I had in my 1969 4-door Chevy Nova... By just about any standard...
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    I bought a new Mustang last year, and originally was going to get tha GT. I ende with the six, though. It was around eight grand cheaper, I get 23 MPG in daily driving, and it's still plenty quick with 305 HP and six-speed manual.

I do miss the sound and low end torque of a V-8, though. A co-worker got an aftermarket exhaust on his GT, sounds great at idle, but he said the sound gets tiring on the freeway.