Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    edited April 2013
    I've heard a lot of 4 cyls that are quiet until revved and then they sound like a washing machine.

I've driven my friends '11 Equinox with the 2.4. Sure it sounds quiet at idle, but turn on the a/c it shakes someone put a brick in a washing machine. Under heavy throttle it sounds like every GM 4cyl I've been around, crude.

Same guy has '12 Silverado extended cab LTZ. Rode around in it this weekend. God, I don't know why anyone would buy one without getting nearly for free. Cheap ugly interior and whole truck shimmied over any type of road imperfection. It doesn't feel nearly as solid as the recent Fords or Rams I've sampled. I I'll be curious to see how the '14 model is.

My Expedition needs to see the dealer. Bad miss is back under hard acceleration, sometimes the CEL will flash, sometimes it don't come on at all. Last time it did this it was a coil pack and plugs which turned into a 4 figure fiasco when 3 plugs snapped off.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,859
    Cyprus was media hype. Look what happened in the end - more reporters lining up at banks than people. Also comparing a virtually irrelevant nation with the superpower policeman of the world is kind of crazy, IMO. If the US government defaults on Chinese loans, China is in deep doodoo, and our 1% will have a laughing fit. Nothing would get passed along. If anything, it would encourage others to default on the same loans, and the house of cards would become shaky.

Cheap (shoddy and disposable) goods are the only "trickle down"benefit seen by real people. Time to end that theory.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    Cheap (shoddy and disposable) goods are the only "trickle down"benefit seen by real people. Time to end that theory.

I think you are living in the past. China now builds world class electronics. I doubt we would be able to do any better than the Chinese building iPhone, iPads and iPods. We don't even have the technology or skills to build a decent TV anymore. We assemble parts from China and elsewhere in our cars.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,877
    China will build whatever quality you ask of them.

We have the technology and skills to build decent electronics. What we don't have are people willing to do so for $60 a month, companies willing to cut their profit to build in the US or people willing to pay for a US built electronic item if the companies aren't willing to cut their profit.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    I think the US still leads the World in Musical Electronics. Though I don't see a lot of familiar brands on the Made in USA list any more. Ampeg is no longer made in USA. :sick:
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    - if you owe the bank a billion dollars, that's the bank's problem.

Evidently, not in the USA.

That's a taxpayer bailout "problem", or as I like to refer to it, a "benefit".
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,764
    Same guy has '12 Silverado extended cab LTZ. Rode around in it this weekend. God, I don't know why anyone would buy one without getting nearly for free. Cheap ugly interior and whole truck shimmied over any type of road imperfection. It doesn't feel nearly as solid as the recent Fords or Rams I've sampled.

Your observation of the Silvy's interior matches mine of the Traverse I rented. Pretty big for not enough storage. Really black and plasticky interior. It rode reasonably well, but was not what I'd call "enjoyable". I certainly wouldn't buy one, even if in the market for that size vehicle. Or perhaps the whole market of that size is this way? Somehow I doubt that.
    Evidently, not in the USA.

That's a taxpayer bailout "problem", or as I like to refer to it, a "benefit".

So the revision of the line is:

"If you own the bank a thousand dollars, it's your problem. If you owe the bank a billion dollars, it's the taxpayer's problem." :cry:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,859
    edited April 2013
    China builds things, with western oversight and standards. China doesn't develop or innovate. There's a difference between design and assembly. China is about price, not quality.

We most certainly have the skills to design and build a TV, but we have an execucoward class who feels entitled to such huge margins, and a decimated real world purchasing power held by the masses (trickle down sure is working!), that would make such a TV incompatible with the market.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited April 2013
    Aveo was so cheap the only thing on the Monroney anyone would notice was the price itself.

Encore pushes up to $30k or so, so people might care a bit more.

Then again, maybe not so much any more, given they can make decent cars in Korea nowadays.
    I really like the new CTS, too.

Funny, there was an ad for the current CTS when I was scanning image of the new one, and the current one (which I always thought looked fine) suddenly seemed old.
    Does she pay for gas? Or do they reimburse her by the mile?

I've heard of people picking a hybrid only because they end up pocketing the difference.

Having said that, I would have gone with the Altima or Fusion.
    Does she pay for gas? Or do they reimburse her by the mile?

I've heard of people picking a hybrid only because they end up pocketing the difference.

Having said that, I would have gone with the Altima or Fusion.

Her employer provides the car and pays for everything (gas, maintenance, insurance, etc). She pays income taxes on personal use.

They gave her a choice of cars. The Taurus has the most standard features and a base price that is about $5k higher than the other choices. Since they only purchase base models with basically no options, the Taurus is the best choice (in our opinion).

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they'd pay her mileage and not provide a car. Then we'd buy a car she'd want.

Though I'll admit it's nice only having to buy and maintain one vehicle.
    Yeah, a base Fusion is plasticky and would come with the least interesting engine on the menu.

Base Altima also lacks a lot of the cool stuff.

Too bad they don't set a price limit and let you choose. You could probably get an Altima SV with Navi for less than a base Taurus.

That is a nice perk.
    Too bad they don't set a price limit and let you choose. You could probably get an Altima SV with Navi for less than a base Taurus.

I agree.
    Or let you pay extra to get the things you wanted.

Starting with the $27.5k starting price for a base Taurus.
    Guy across the street had one of those, but traded for the swoopy new style model.
    Or let you pay extra to get the things you wanted.

Yeah, that would be nice. I'd gladly take an extra tax hit or pay extra towards the lease rate to get what she'd want.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    When I replaced the alternator in 2011 the lone little wire to the back of it broke on me. I soldered it but now it was broken in same place 18 months later. I soldered an extension of 6 inches onto the wire so it can be plugged into the back of the alternator without distress on the wire and all is fine again with the Astro. Labor intensive taking out the alt and testing it. Also discovered the source of serp belt noisier lately...the belt tensioner was coming apart, causing 1/4 inch misalignment of the tensioner pulley. New tensioner has quieted down the belt. I do really need a new belt soon. Maybe it was a good thing I had to tear into it because if a tensioner breaks while driving, that could be a mess.

Got first quote on ball joints for the '98 Mustang...$440 for both. Basically $200 in labor and part markup per side. At 160500 miles, the Mustang may soon need exhaust work, head or intake gaskets, water pump, a/c, struts, and has a small rust spot on the rr wheelwell that I patched last summer. I saw a 2006 base Mustang on cargurus for $8350 with 78k miles on it that would be a nice trade up that has 5k less miles that the '98 did when we got it. But really can't complain when the car I got my son in 10th grade is still going 8 yrs later with only one shop repair for a sensor that was $150 total.
    From USA Today...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/02/gm-sales-chevrolet-cadillac-- buick-gmc/2044067/

It was the big car company's best March in five years. GM credited a rising economy and the maker's new models. i

Buick was up 37.4%. Standouts were the redesigned Enclave big SUV and new-to-the-lineup Encore, a very small crossover SUV.

Cadillac jumped 49.5%. Stars were its newest models, ATS small sedan and XTS big sedan. Those sales all were pure gains because the models weren't on sale a year ago.

Though Cadillac is well-known for its big Escalade SUVs, those are a handful of sales. The brand's top SUV, as always, was the SRX crossover. It also was the brand's top-selling model of any kind, but was up just 5.4% from a year earlier.

At Chevrolet, the Malibu midsize sedan plunged 22.4%. GM had been counting on Malibu to be a strong contender in the big midsize market. GM is hustling through an update hoping to make the car more competitive. Traverse big crossover SUV was up 54%.
    Oddly enough it's not for the C-Max or Fusion hybrid, which haven't nearly met expectations:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/31/ford-recalling-select-taurus-explorer-and-lin- coln-mks-models-ov/
    Only 59 made it to customers' hands.

I heard a few complaining that the steering felt numb. ;)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited April 2013
    I believe it only actually happened to one Cruze that had been repaired for something in the shop at Lordstown.

I wish the Encore would be recalled for being built in Korea. ;)

I wonder if in any other industrialized nation on Earth, where cars are built, that people who wish to buy from companies headquartered in their own country, get goofed on like is the norm here in the U.S. I think that is the weirdest thing.
    The solution is a little extra training for the folks on the assembly line.

Turn-about is fair play. ;)

Only 59 runaway Encores! At least they have their brake pads, don't they? :P
    edited April 2013
    Actually Subaru is the one with a brake recall, on 2005-2009 Legacys and Outbacks. My favorite generation of those vehicles.

225k in the USA and Canada, for potentially corroded brake lines.

They sell in snow belt states so Subaru should just galvanize everything that goes on that car, even the plastics. LOL

Useless trivia - union made in Lafayette, Indiana.

A very insignificant amount overall, unless YOU happen to be one of the 59 owners and the wheel actually detaches while driving. IMO, not much different than winning lottery ticket odds.

Still, there are basic expectations when buying a vehicle, and having a fully-functioning and well-secured steering wheel is probably somewhere at the top of the list, right below a non-exploding fuel tank. These types of "mis-steps" really go a long way in creating a "black-eye" view of a model, with buyers wondering about what happened to quality control during assembly.

With only 59 possibilities, and no actual incidents reported, I doubt it would hinder my purchasing the vehicle if I really liked it.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Caddy and Buick lead the way last month....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/02/march-2013-records-are-made-to-be-broken-edit- ion/

Can we safely say that the Hundee/Kia surge is officially OVER????