Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• survivor93survivor93 Member Posts: 25
    The Santa Fe, designed in the U.S., is Hyundai’s first foray into the SUV. It may be a little late, however. The Santa Fee is based upon the compact Sonata sedan’s chassis, and, for a first effort, it shines. It looks much better in real life than in photos. The bodywork has lots of subtle contours hinting at the sophistication of the manufacturing process. All the trim pieces fit solidly and the look is truly unique. It seems "brawny", like an SUV should, yet it is just the right size, not too big, not too small. Goldilocks would approve.
  • jlittererjlitterer Member Posts: 39
    Looking to purchase a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5 V/6 4WD.Anyone have any "real world" gas mileage figures? How reliable has the vehicle been? Also, does the 5year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper or 10year/100,000 mile power train warranty require a deductable? Thanks!
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    Purchased a 2003 Lx model (3.5l w/5 speed auto transmission) in June of '03. Gas mileage averages 20 in the city, 23+ on the highway. I have had no problems whatsoever with this vehicle. Depending upon the dealership you purchase at, a loaner car may be available if your vehicle has to stay overnight. There is no deductible on any warranty repair, unlike other manufacturers with long warranties.

On my first oil change, the tech overfilled my power steering and brake resevoirs. I corrected this, and when I told the dealership about this they gave me a coupon for a free oil change. (Unfortunately, they had already let the tech go because he had done this on several cars).

I've been totally satisfied with the product and service to date.
  • jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    No concerns, complaints, or whatever...just letting you know that I'm also going to buy a 2004 Santa Fe AWD GLS 3.5L around February and I'm also interested in gas mileage figures for that vehicle. I'll only be commuting about 26 miles a day, with some extra business trips around Michigan every now and then.

I've researched A LOT of SUVs in the past month or so and narrowed my list down to the Santa Fe, Mazda Tribute, Chevy Trailblazer, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander. So why did I finally choose the Santa Fe?

Tribute: way too many engine problems. I need reliability. Otherwise, a very nice vehicle at a good price.
    Trailblazer: reviews aren't too good for it. Too expensive when configured the way I want it. Great size and wonderful 4.2L engine, though.
    Pilot: really bad brakes scared me away, along with the price.
    Highlander: have owned two Toyotas in the past and loved both. This one's just too expensive, though.
    Santa Fe: Best bang for the buck, especially with the 3.5L engine. The engine's not new and badly needs a technological makeover (Honda's similar engine makes...what...230 HP or more?) but it's "mature" and "proven" and smooth with a good torque curve. I've seen both 195 HP and 200 HP stated for it...I wonder which one's correct. Anyway, the larger engine clinched it for me. I'm taking the wife out for some serious test driving sometime soon. I've only test driven it once last year with the smaller engine (unimpressive).

I live in the Thumb of Michigan and we usually get a lot of snow and icy road conditions (except this winter, which is so far snow-free). The 3.5L Santa Fe's Borg-Warner AWD system is hyped up pretty well, but I'm still wondering how it compares to the other Hyundai AWD system which was very highly rated.

I'll check back in occasionally with my buying and driving experiences.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    Hey jvenezia!

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I did, regarding the competing small SUVs. Good luck convincing your wife to go with the Santa Fe. Once she drives it, I'm sure it'll be a cinch.

I've got the 2.7 liter 4WD, and we're averaging 20 mpg with 60 mile round-trip commutes. I would imagine the 3.5 will get less under the same circumstances, but I am curious as well.
    I now have 5368 miles on my Santa fe.
    No problems yet. My gas mileage is betwenn 20-21 mpg on the open road.
    My only concern was that before my first oil change I checked the oil & it was about a half quart low. I filled it and changed the oil at 3,ooo miles. I guess when the car was PDIed
    they over looked the oil.
    Anyway I have checked the oil twice. Its right on the mark.
     I love my Sante Fe.
  • bria5bria5 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing a 2004 Santa Fe base model 2.4L and was wondering if anyone with this model with over 15k miles could let me know how it's keeping up. I currently have an Elantra that I haven't have any problems with; just looking to get something different.

Thank you
  • nwebster02nwebster02 Member Posts: 3
    I just passed 25,500 miles on my Santa Fe and it's still running great. Only brought it in once and that was due to the seat belt buckle broke somehow (it won't hold the buckle anymore). No issues other than that!
    Sounds good! I test drove it over the weekend and I think I'm going to go for it. Thank you for responding.
  • nwebster02nwebster02 Member Posts: 3
    bria5, Enjoy your Santa Fe! I have the 2003 LX with the smaller engine (got it before they released the new engine)
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    My 2001 Santa Fe 2wd LX is three years old now and has 31,000 miles and has been perfect since the day I bought it. No,noise,no squeeks.no rattles, no problems.

The only failure I have had was the battery for the remote control for locking and unlocking the doors failed and the dealer replaced that free.

So I am very happy with my LX.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the 3 year report; it's always good to hear about people enjoying a trouble free ride.

Steve, Host
  • glee314glee314 Member Posts: 6
    I lost one of my keyless entry remotes. When asking about a new one, the dealership said that it would cost about $100 per remote. So, I rather disable the keyless entry and use the key only. I don't like the remote keyless entry, anyway. Is it possible?
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    I bought one on Ebay for fifteen bucks. Looks like this <http://home.earthlink.net/~seahorse271/keytransmitter/>
  • glee314glee314 Member Posts: 6
    harry31,

Did you program the keyless entry remo by yourself?
    lrchome, I'm glad to hear that you've had a good experience with your Santa Fe. I got mine last week and I love it! I'm sure that I'll have good things to say in 3yrs too :-)
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I lost one, and a new one was about $20-30 at the dealer. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly how much but I know it was nowhere near $100.

Quick update:
    Our 2001 Santa Fe LX 2wd is at 42k miles and is still in great shape. The only real problem we've had with it was a few weeks ago when the driver's window dropped down inside the door ala Volkswagen. The dealer said it was simply a loose bolt and fixed it in about an hour. The magnet holding the top portion of the console closed broke off. The part is at the dealer waiting for me to care enough to go have it installed under warranty. Oh, and the first winter we had it we found the heated seat switches were backwards - the driver's switch heated the passenger's seat and vice versa. Pretty minor nits to pick, in my book.

It's still smooth and quiet as ever - even the OEM BF Goodrich tires still have plenty of life left in them. Barring unforseen events (more kids, etc) we plan on keeping it at least until the 120k mile mark when our warranty runs out. We were on the "understated horsepower" list so we got the extended powertrain.

Bottom line: momma's still happy, so I am too.

-Jason
    glee314:

> Did you program the keyless entry remo by yourself?
    >========================
     Didn't need to - haven't lost either of the originals - yet! =;-)
     You can program the key xmitters yourself. I think I've saved the info somewhere(goes to look...)
    (Comes back with URL...)

Go here: <http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394877231#_394877231>
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    One thing that our Santa Fe doesn't have that every other new car that I've owned for the past decade or so does is the automatic locking of all doors after a certain speed has been reached. This is usually between 7-12 mph. this is a feature that I really have come to appreciate. Is there a place where we can turn this feature on/off and I just missed it?
  • rhdrocrhdroc Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe LX V6 and I recently purchased a third remote for my daughter. I read harry31's post and followed the URL but(maybe I'm just too dense)I still can't figure how the programming done :-( Does it have something to do with the "code saving" topic mentioned at the bottom of the page??

I was told earlier that only your dealer could do the programming because it required some sort of special transmitter device.

Thanks!!
      It will require an Hyundai OBD-II type unit to do the programming... IF you wish to stand off to the side and sip julips while doing the work.

If you can get down (I realize not everyone is able or wants to) and locate the ETACS unit (under the driver side dash), programming the remotes can be done by the Santa Fe owner.
       Push the code saving switch to 'set'. Activate the remote. Return the code saving switch to the original position ('off'). If you want TWO remotes to operate your vehicle, the two remotes should be activated (one after the other) within sixty seconds, before returning the code saving switch to 'off'.

I then will assume (there's that word) that you'll test the remote(s) before going on vacation? =;-)
  • rhdrocrhdroc Member Posts: 22
    If I can find the ETACS unit, it sounds simple enough.

There's no problem programming three remotes in the same fashion (within sixty seconds)??

Thanks (Again)!!
    rhdroc:

> There's no problem programming three remotes in the same fashion (within sixty seconds)??
    >===========

The Santa Fe brain only accepts two remotes. =;-p
    When you say activate the remote do you mean press the lock button or unlock button or either.
    Irchome:
           Press 'lock' only or 'open' only. That should do it.
     =;-)
  • dizzygrinchdizzygrinch Member Posts: 18
    to make a long story short, Im on my second brand new 2004 santa fe, both have had some sort of tranny problems, that the dealer cant fix. Im now wondering, if buying a Hyundai is a bad investment. Seems like there is a lot of people with problems with their Hyundais, even though they have a great warranty, what happens when the warranty runs out? are Hyundais just disposable cars, or are they reliable? Im considering on buying a different make alltogether.
    Where did you buy your Santa Fe's and who was the dealer.
    Hi, bought it at Bell road Hyundai in arizona. The dealership themselves are great, Im concerned with the Hyundais alltogether.
  • njsantafenjsantafe Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe 2004, 4WD, 2.7L V6. I chose it because hands down it it the most car for the money right now. The 0% financing, the great warranty, and huge list of standard features. However, I had some reservations having owned a 1991 sCoupe. I know Hyundai has made great strides in recent years, but that car was HORRIBLE (and left a bad taste for Hyundai with me, that I am obviously now getting over). That said, when I purchased the car, I was offered an option to extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 10 yrs/100,000 miles for $895. Anyone have opinions on whether these warranties are worth it? I will be putting a lot of commuter miles on this car, approximatly 15k per year.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I stay away from extended warrantis, myself. The odds are you'll never need it. At 15K a year, you have 4 years of bumper to bumper already. If anything's gonna be problematic, I'd think it would rear it's head long before 60K.

These warranties are money-makers for all involved, except the consumer. They offer these because they make a ton of money vs. what they do have to cover. Some people do get lucky (unlucky?) and these come in handy, but it's not the norm. Save your money, IMO.
  • xpflyrxpflyr Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my 04 LX. I got the extended warrentee. 10 years and 100 k miles. It was 1200$ for me. A tough choice but I feel now in 5 years when its paid off.,I'll have another 5 years of no worry driving. They gave me the tire protection and free rental also. I put on about 10 K a year. I think if you had it, you would feel better after awhile.
  • bjnewmanbjnewman Member Posts: 1
    I love my Santa Fe. However, I have one problem that 2 dealers have been unable to resolve. When the accelerator is pressed from a standing start, it seems to "stick", causing the car to lurch. It is not severe, however quite annoying. The younger drivers in our family won't drive it because they are afraid of hitting something. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • snowman2596snowman2596 Member Posts: 14
    I'm curious because I've heard rumors, has anyone heard anything about the proposed new SUV, the Tucson (spelled as I saw it). Is it based on anything Hyundai has out there, are there any specs floating around, is there any buzz of any kind on the net yet? Any information would be great, I love my Santa Fe and intend to drive it into the ground, but my family is growing and if this is going to be a larger SUV offering that could possibly sway me from a Toyota purchase, I'm all ears.
  • jason86jason86 Member Posts: 14
    From what I've heard, it's going to be smaller then the Santa Fe.

If you want to see a nice looking hyundia prototype, check out the HCD8 Concept
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    The problem you are experiencing with the acceleration is due to the adaptive ability of the automatic transmission. The transmission has a 'memory' and learns driving habits (acceleration) during the first several hundred miles of operation.

Have your dealer 'reset' your transmission's memory and then drive it as you normally would and it should respond accordingly. Mine did... I had the same symptom, but when my battery was accidentally dicharged completely it had to 're-learn'. My SF had several hundred miles on it when I purchased it and apparently had been taught some bad habits!

The learning starts after the transmission is at operating temperature and continues for several days under normal driving circumstances.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It's a RAV4 sized mini-ute. I may be wrong, but it seems like I read that it was based on the next generation Elantra platform.

Here's Edmunds take:
    http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/hyundai/tucson/100370918/previ- ew.html?tid=edmunds.f.mmindex.content.num1.0.hyundai*

There are rumors that the next generation Santa Fe (due in 2006-2007?) - to be built in Hyundai's new US plant - will be slightly larger with a third row. We'll be keeping an eye on this, especially if Hyundai keeps offering loyalty rebates.

-Jason
  • snowman2596snowman2596 Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to pass along thanks to jason86 and jaserb for the info. I would love to keep buying Hyundai products--especially if the quality keeps on as it is, but if the size isn't there, then I'm going to have to look at something else like the Sequoia from Toyota. I agree, the HCV8 looks incredible--hopefully Hyundai will poduce something very close to it to either compliment or possibly even replace the Tiburon. Thanks again.
  • leevanleevan Member Posts: 8
    My black 2001 GLS has just past the 100,000 mile mark. I am happy to report that it has been almost trouble free. The only non scheduled trip to the shop was to replace the crankshaft positioning sensor, (rough idle, 1 day at the dealer, completely covered under the warranty)and, in the past 2 weeks I've had my front brake pads replaced. I still have 2 of the original tires on it!!!!! ( Just bought new tires for the front and put the backs, on the front.) Nay-sayers and doubting Thomas' beware. Mine is running as strong as it did the day I drove it home. We are currently in the market to replace my wife mini-van. We have decided that the Pewter GLS would look great next to my Black one in the driveway. Talk to you all again at 200,000!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bummer - this means you're finally out of warranty!

:-)

Way to go - thanks for the update!

Steve, Host
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    I'm considering buying the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Front-wheel Drive with the 2.7L V6. Does anyone have this model and willing to share their experience with the Santa Fe?
    I have had two of these models, actually. The first one we had to return because it kept "bumping" when you would put into drive, the dealer couldnt figure it out. the second one did it ocassionly, but we believe its from the adaptive learning tranny. it seems that as some time has passed by, it has gotten better, only does this "bump" thing every now and then. I just hope thats all it is, so Im just keeping it, I figure if something bad happens, they will have to replace the tranny, its under warranty. Other than that, we love this truck. Good luck to you.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    My wife and I are considering a Sante Fe GLS FWD. Our current car,98 Olds Intrigue, has a cabin pollen filter. At the time we purchased it we felt the pollen filter would be of little value since we drive nearly all pavement. Boy were we wrong. I change it annually and you can't believe the things it catches. I see the Sante Fe is not equiped with one from the factory, but have heard a salesman say he thought one was available through the aftermarket. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    The Santa Fe has a 'place' for a cabin filter element but is not shipped with an installed element. Go figure???
    See Hyundai TSB 03-97-002 ("Cabin Air Filter Replacement") for instructions, with pictures. Hyundai filter part number: 97619-38100
    I own a 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE 3.5 AWD XL.
    My dealership gave me FREE OIL CHANGES & FREE USE OF A LOANER CAR, if my car needs to stay over for service.
    The second half of the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is on motor, trans and front end.
    I am confused though. Why is an extended warranty needed?
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    I bought a 2004 GLS with the 2.7L and Front wheel drive. It's about 2 months old now and has about 2,000 miles on it. So far, no problems, gets about 20 mpg (our previous Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 cyl averaged only 15 mpg doing this sort of driving), the power is good, and seems to do well in the snow. Some people have complained about the power with the 2.7L, but from what I've heard the FWD is about 300 lbs. lighter than the 4wd. Maybe that makes the difference. All I know is that the Hyundai feels faster than our previous Jeep. The only thing that I would change on the car, is that I wouldn't get a sunroof. It really cuts down on the headroom. Best of luck.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for the info on the air filter! My wife and I really like the cabin filter on our cars and want that feature on the next one we buy.

To cjb2486:
      Not only lighter in weight but less drag by not turning all of the drive system for power to the rear wheels. We are considering the GLS FWD 2.7 as well. Better fuel mileage and since we don't trailer anything or other stuff like that I don't feel the 3.5 is warranted in our case
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    I posted here 2 years ago this weekend (#3264 and #3271) regarding my trepidations regarding our first time Hyundai purchase. Now, 26,000 miles later, we continue to be extremely pleased with our Santa Fe. Only problem we have encountered was a continually blown fuse for the power windows and locks (loose wire in drivers door was coming in contact w/metal causing a short). Warranty covered that of course. Other than that just routine oil changes and tire rotations. Service guy at dealership I go to says Hyundai really looks at whether you've had the 30K-60K service if you have to make a warranty claim down the road, otherwise maintenance costs are minimal. Gas mileage for us was poor the first 5k miles or so, now we get 20 or so routinely in the city (Minneapolis area) and mid 20s on the highway. We have the 2.7 V6. We are looking to replace our other vehicle and are considering another GLS, this time with the 3.5 L. My only beef with this car, the 2.7 doesn't have enough ooomph when you need quick acceleration. Otherwise, count us as very satisfied Hyundai owners!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I just thought I would tell everyone how much Hyundai appears to be concerned with customer service. I've never seen a manufacturer go out of their way as much as Hyundai has to make a dealer follow through on a promise that has nothing to do with Hyundai corporate. Here's the story:

My local dealer promises a $100 birddog fee to a customer if they refer another person to the dealer and they buy a Hyundai from them. Well, I bought an 03 Elantra GT for a friend of mine back in May of 03 (I got $100 after a week of hassle). In November, my boss said he was interested in looking at a Sante Fe for his daughter and asked my opinion on Hyundai. I told him I've been happy with 2 Hyundais and had no problem recommending one to him. I referred him to the local Hyundai dealer where he bought a Sante Fe and my name was mentioned as the person who referred him. I talked to the saleslady during the buying process. I even went down to the dealer in person, provided the info she asked from me, and expressed interest in buying an 04 XG350 from them. I purchased an 03 Diamante instead since I got a better deal. My friend then came into town and the new car bug bit him after seeing my Diamante. He was interested in trying to trade up to a Sante Fe. He drove one (same saleslady) and was going to try to buy it. However, since I was disgusted over how the dealer had bs'ed me for over a month now, while we test drove the Sante Fe, I suggested we stop at Mitsubishi and take a look at what deals they were offering. My friend liked the Endeavor better and tried to give the Sante Fe back to the dealer but the saleslady wouldn't accept it back, telling him to drive it longer. Long story short: my friend traded in his Elantra for an 04 Endeavor. The saleslady was furious when the Mitsu dealer returned the Sante Fe to her. It had been at least 6 weeks since my boss bought a Hyundai from the dealer and the saleslady kept coming up with excuses as to why she couldn't get the money. After knowing I bought a Diamante and my friend bought the Endeavor, she definitely wasn't interested in trying to get me the birddog fee anymore and I was going to let it drop since I was tired of dealing with it. Step in Hyundai....

The Elantra was serviced for the brake recall the same day my friend bought the Endeavor. Hyundai called me to do a survey...:) Well, I said I had no problems with the repair service but I did let her know I liked Hyundais, had bought 3 of them, and because my dealer renigged on their $100 promise, Hyundai lost a sale to Mitsubishi. The survey lady appeared very concerned and interested in my story. Not 2 days later, I received a call from the service manager telling me that he and the OWNER of the dealer had heard from Hyundai about my complaint and they wanted to make things right with me. The service manager even asked me to return his call to his personal cell phone because this matter was so "important" to them. They told me that when I receive the JDPower service survey in the mail, to bring that in to them and they would give me my $100 and fill up the tank on my 03 Tiburon. Yes, a little bribery was involved, but, I gave them what they wanted (a perfect service rating on the survey) and yesterday, I got my $100 and a full tank of gas! So apparently these surveys do matter a lot to the dealer.

Kudos to Hyundai for caring about something that was really a policy of the dealer not Hyundai corporate and putting the fire under their bad dealer to make me happy. If anything, Hyundai increased my faith in their company and their ability to get things accomplished fast.
  • extributeextribute Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone driven the Sante Fe FWD 3.5 engine in snow? I do not live in the snow belt (southern Ohio) but we do get some slippery weather. I am trying to decide on an LX with AWD or FWD. I would appreciate any experience out there.

Thanks!
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2004 2.7 FWD. I assume that there is virtually no difference between how it does in the snow vs. the 3.5. It's about 3 months old now and it seems to have been snowing here in New Jersey since the day we bought the car in November. This FWD Santa Fe replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been on the road everyday that it has snowed and so far there have been no problems with its ability to get around. It's also equiped with traction control, so that probably helps. Anyhow, we wanted better gas mileage and better handling, so we went for the FWD. So far, no regrets.