Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Bronco Problems

Comments

• wjameswjames Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 bronco and the airbag light flashes all the time. Can I turn it off or is there a way to fix it. Thanks
  • littlemudylittlemudy Member Posts: 1
    i can not find any information on the correct ignition module for my bronco. it has only five wires and the only ones that have the same number of wires always switch the red and white wire. i have no way to replace the one that is in the bronco unless i can get a part number or some kind of info who do i need to see to get out of this mess. thanks. don
  • crsturgill1407crsturgill1407 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know if a 2.9 transmission will hook up to a 2.8 motor.
  • cptchetcocptchetco Member Posts: 32
    My '89 Bronco II is making noise in 5th on the Mitsubishi 5 speed. Seems Ok in 1-4. Needs to be repaired. Question: Is it tough to put the Mazda 5 speed in place of the Mitsubishi? What needs to be changed other than the tranny? This vehicle has been so excellent for so long, there is no chance I'll not fix it.
  • sgrasso1sgrasso1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 1988 with 89,000 miles (confirmed by car fax) drove it from San Francisco to Salt Lake City. It ran perfectly until I tried to go up in one of the canyons. The engine quit. Had it towed to a Ford dealership. They replaced the in tank fuel pump. It now runs but when I drive it up a steep canyon road it looses power and almost comes to a stop. If I apply full throttle I get power back again. Also, if I come to a complete stop and wait the engine runs very ruff then as though a switch is thrown it runs perfectly for a time. Once I start driving up again the whole process starts again. The rough engine and sudden on occurs even going down the mountain. I took it back to Ford they replaced a couple of electronic engine components to the tune of $800 and when test driven up the hill it did the same rough on and off. Salt Lake is about 4600 feet and the canyon road climbs to over 7000 rather quickly. Need help!!!! Any suggestions please!! Thanks Steve
  • deacon2deacon2 Member Posts: 8
    I would first find out what type of fuel pump was installed in the fuel tank. Some vehicles cannot operate appropriately with "stock" parts, Bronco is one of them in regards to fuel pumps, especially if you live in a mountainous region. I would also have the fuel injection system cleaned, or carburator if still equipped. Steep inclines like going from 4600 - 7000 feet will obviously make the system operate harder. Also have a diagnostic done to see if your EGR valve is in need of replacement. This is a fuel recirc system that may explain the rough running but not the loss of power going up and down hills, that is probably your type of fuel pump.
  • sgrasso1sgrasso1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments. Do you have any idea what fuel pump I should put in as you know this is the in tank low pressure pump. I also understand there is a low pressure regulator in conjunction to the pump. Could that be an issue?
  • jamfar123jamfar123 Member Posts: 1
    i currently just baught a bronco 2 and for some reason its not running right. it starts right up and when u go some where it has no power and it tops at 10 to 15 mph so please help me
  • miesk5miesk5 Member Posts: 35
    YO James!
    Some info for you;
    The air bag indicator will flash the appropriate diagnostic trouble code to indicate the suspect circuit. If the indicator is malfunctioning the tone will be heard.
    * Diagnostic trouble codes are prioritized numerically so if two or more different faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed.
    Air Bag Diagnostic Codes, 92 Up, Ford
    Source: by screwy http://screwy.clubfte.com/
    Most common fault is the Clock Spring; can DIY if you are familair w/electrical/mech repairs or take it to a dealer.

Do you have a horn &/or cruise contrl prob too?
    if so;
    Air Bag Diagnostic Code 32, Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open, Ford
    Source: by Jim G http://www.alldata.com/techtips/1999/19990927a.html

and some DIY repairs to the Air Bag Clock Spring in my Bronco Tech Links site; http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=775

GL!
    yo Falcon!
    a 4WABS Overview first for you;
    link title http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/255501_1

As you can see, just use the 12v test light to check the Codes
    and some 4WABS DIY repairs
    in my Bronco Tech Links site; http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=240
    GL!
    YO Oldblue!
    Do you have a check engine Light on?
    If so, did the shop scan for the Code(s)?
    if so, post the Codes here for another reply.
    or DIY:
    Self Test & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS!
    Source: by Ryan M http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

One possibility is;
    E4OD Converter Overheating Failure
    Source: by ATC-Distribution Group Inc. atcdg.com via web.archive.org

E4OD Trouble Shooting Flow Chart
    Source: by jasperengines.com via web.archive.org
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030403064312/www.jasperengines.com/flowtran.pdf
    possible falts could be the TPS (cheap part/replacement) or VSS (ABS Sensor on rear 8.8 differential) - not likely, but a poss.

and some E4OD DIY repairs in my Bronco Tech Links site;
    http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63
    of course, there is a wide range of poss. faults, so any Codes will help narrow it down.
    GL!
  • gmedeiros83gmedeiros83 Member Posts: 2
    When at cruising speeds i notice a slight skip. As soon as i put the motor under a load and the tranny downshifts, it goes away until i start cruising again. Now i have replaced wires, plugs, cap and rotor. Just looking for a diagnosis.
    yo!
    Have a Check Engine Light on?
    get it scanned or DIY

Self Test & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS!

do self test anyway; some faults do Not light the CEL since, "Don’t worry if the Check Engine Light is not on, the computer will store lesser important codes without flashing lights in your face."
    and;
    A technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Self-Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Self-Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes.
    Source: by Ford via miesk5
    A technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Self-Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Self-Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes.

How did the plugs look?

post and I'll try to get it closer than a wag...
    GL!
  • mattjinmattjin Member Posts: 3
    My 95 xlt had the same problem. Because the speedo controls the tranny's shift points when it jumps around it tells the tranny to change gears. Most likely a bad speedo. Search ebay for gauge pods and replace you speedo. It only takes basic skills and all in all mine cost around $65 total. I also replaced the speed sensor thinking it was that but no change there. Good luck
  • reeevesreeeves Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1989 Ford Bronco 11,4 WD and would like to replace the 2.9 engine with a 302 V8 and would like to hear from someone that has done the same.
  • ms_jetsetms_jetset Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I just bought my first Bronco and I love it. So far so good. Don't think I'll ever buy another brand! I have one slight possible problem. When driving slow in town around 5-10 mph. it feels like it's jumping into the next gear. I only drive it on the wkends to my country house. About 300 miles or so round trip. Anyone else experience this? Thanks for any help!!
  • reeevesreeeves Member Posts: 3
    I have 1989Ford Bronco 11 with a 2.9 engine,5speed,4wd and wouldlike to replace the engine with a302 v8 and would like to know what problems I can run into.would like to talk to someone who has done same.
    What's up am I gonna get an answer or not?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Ford Bronco category is a relatively new topic in the SUVs section so it may take a while for Bronco owners to find it!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for the response.
    yo!
    A few simple thAngs for now (been away for a week):
    Check fluid level and condition; after engine reaches normal op temp.

Have a Check Engine Light on?
    get it scanned or DIY

do self test anyway; some faults do Not light the CEL since, "Don’t worry if the Check Engine Light is not on, the computer will store lesser important codes without flashing lights in your face."
    and;

-- from our Owner's Guide;
    "The E4OD and 4R70W transmissions are
    electronically controlled four speed automatic
    transmissions with overdrive. Transmission
    operation is controlled by the Powertrain Control
    Module (PCM).
    The PCM will automatically adjust transmission
    operation to make up for varying conditions.
    Several sensors located on the engine and
    transmission such as Throttle Position, Engine
    Speed, Vehicle Speed and Transmission
    Temperature are used by the PCM to shift the
    transmission into a higher or lower gear when
    required for the best performance and fuel
    economy. For example, you may notice that the
    transmission will upshift to a higher gear more quickly when the vehicle is first driven and has
    not reached normal operating temperature.
    The PCM also controls the transmission’s Torque
    Converter Clutch to further raise vehicle
    performance and fuel economy. The Torque
    Converter Clutch will engage when the
    transmission operating temperature and other
    conditions determined by the PCM have been
    met. Engagement of the clutch may be noted as
    a decrease in engine speed after an upshift has
    completed or when the driver has depressed the
    throttle while driving at a steady road speed.
    To help in troubleshooting, the PCM continually
    performs self-tests on the electronic control
    system and if any faults are detected, will store
    them in memory. The Transmission Control
    Indicator Light (TCIL), which is located on the
    gearshift lever, may flash steadily if a
    malfunction has been detected..."
    yo; here is info for the swap - for Bronco II or Ranger
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html

GL!
    Thank's for the useful tips. It sounds like the PCM is adjusting accordingly. Could be the tranny temp., after driving 2hrs. non-stop on the highway ,to the slow, stop and go in the city.
  • gator07gator07 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 93 Bronco with 5.0. When I drive the truck for about 90 mile straight it starts cutting out and backfiring then it will just stop moving forward. The truck wont die but it cuts in and out. Let it cool down and you can drive it agian for an hour and a half or 90 miles or so. What is this problem. HELP. I cant find whats wrong. Be easy on me cause am not the best of mechanics.Thanks
    Gator,
    Do you have a check engine Light on?

if so, post the Codes here for another reply.
    DIY Self Test & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS!
    btw, A technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Self-Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Self-Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes. The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. To accomplish this, the engine should be at normal operating temperature

One possibility is; Ford TFI Ignition Module; this is a good guess... but do the Self Test for Codes.

Has that TFI Module been replaced Free under the recall? If you do not know, go to a Ford dealer and ask them to check using the VIN Code.
    or, DIY by registering at Ford and look to see what recalls are outstanding, plus; Owner Guides (Manuals), Bronco/Ford truck & other Ford vehicles, free, download
    Source: by Ford
    https://myford.fordvehicles.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=MyFord/Registrati- on/LogOnPage&BackToLogin=MyFord%2FHome%2FHomePage%26ord%3D15419550
    Ford TFI Ignition Recall - the judge's order affected Fords manufactured between 1985 and 1995.
    http://www.summitlake.com/COMMENTARY/Ford_Ignitions.html?reload_coolmenus
  • gator07gator07 Member Posts: 5
    The check engine light is not on. Only the ABS light is on and Ive replaced all those sensors. Now what does this mean????
    Gator,
    OK, do that self-test anyway; some codes may be stored w/out lighting the CEL

ABS;
    & do a self-test too here; The 4WABS connectors is red, & is under the hood right beside the engine test connector
    4WABS System Component Locations, DTCs & Self Test & Connector Diagram; 93-96
    Source: by Steve83
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/255501_1

ABS Self test connector location; ABS (RABS II) Self Test , Diagnostic Connector Location, (title in article is wrong in article)
    Source: by autorepair.about.com
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl180d.htm

GL!
  • tjewertztjewertz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 87 full size Ford Bronco w/ the EFI 5.0 & O/D A/T. a few months ago i replaced the entire fuel system, tank, both pumps, filter, lines, & ERG system (rust problem). a few weeks ago the acuator rod in the column broke & since i couldn't find a new column (can't buy an acuator rod seperate) i installed an aftermarket ignition switch in dash. 2 weeks after i did the switch, the Bronco stalled at a light, i was idling & now the fuel pumps won't run. I've changed the ECM computer, the fuel pump relay (which if i jump the hot terminal to the out going, the pumps run) and all related fuses with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be keeping the fuel pumps from running?
  • joeflew1joeflew1 Member Posts: 1
    hey, i have a 1994 thunderbird with the same problem the fuel pump is not running. changed the pump and checked the fuses. dont know where the pump relay is under the hood so i cant change that. anyone know where it is.
    yo TJ!
    Did you see any corrosion insde the FP Relay's socket?
    Fuel Pump Relay Socket Corrosion Info; spray it down with contact cleaner; They absolutely HATE moisture; also ck the EFI Power Relay (should be next to the FP Relay) for operation & corrosion.

Next is the Inertia Fuel Cut-Off Switch (did you have a front end fender bender recently?

see this by Bronco Rob & Steve 83; http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38216

Fuel Pump Relay Operational Sequence;
    An inertia switch is used as a safety device in the fuel system. The inertia switch is located in the cab, generally under the dashboard on the right side. It is designed to open the fuel pump power circuit in the event of a collision. The switch is reset by pushing each of 2 buttons on the switch simultaneously (some models use switches with only one reset button). The inertia switch should not be reset until the fuel system has been inspected for damage or leaks.

When the ignition switch is ON, it turns the EEC power relay ON. The EEC power relay provides power to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the control side of the fuel pump relay. Power for the fuel pump(s) is supplied through a fuse link or high current fuse attached to the starter solenoid (battery side). From the fuse link or high current fuse, current flows through the fuel pump relay and inertia switch to the fuel pump(s). The fuel pump relay is controlled by the PCM.

When the ignition switch is turned ON, the fuel pump(s) will operate. If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position the PCM will shut the fuel pump(s) OFF after 1 second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump(s) operate the fuel pump(s) when the ignition switch is turn to START position to provide fuel while cranking.

After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump(s) unless the engine stops, drops below 120 rpm or the inertia switch is tripped.

GL!

The pickup in the distributor can throw a code when it is intermittent or not working..
    One of many reasons you should check your codes

Have you done a code check? scan above for a DIY check that I have posted a few times here.
    yo Joe!

The FP relay is in da IRCM (formerly called da CCRM) and it is Mounted forward of the airbox The CCRM is not usually serviceable. But if you want to take a shot at it see Joe's info in Link below
    Troubleshoot & Repair Your Malfunctioning Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM) - by - J o e F r a z i e r NATO Member "Joe Cool
    http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/New_IRCM/IRCM.html

CCRM = Constant Control Relay Module , IRCM = Integrated Relay Control Module;. This relay contols the fan, fuel pump and A/C clutch if i'm not mistaken.
    the fuel pump relay is tied into the IRCM on 94-95s; Since 1986, Ford has used, on several models, an Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM) to operate the fuel pump, engine cooling fan and compressor clutch. During the early 1990’s, the
    name was changed to Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM). The module has a 24-pin connector .
    more Tech Info:
    http://www.dualcurve.com/5910-INST.pdf

GL!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bavingtonbavington Member Posts: 6
    Wherr is the realy for the ABS.It is not marked and there is lots of realys under the hood.thanks
    Bavington,
    Relay? Do you mean the Test Connector?
    4WABS System Component Locations, DTCs & Self Test & Connector Diagram; 93-96; The 4WABS is located at the left-hand side (driver's side) of the engine compartment and marked ANTI-LOCK TEST - in my 96 it is near the hood hinge
    Source: by Steve83 & miesk5

if Relay in;
    Power Distribution Box Diagram in a 93
    Source: by Troll Banned
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/290854
  • scooter692002scooter692002 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Bronco has a 5.0 302 engine in it. The bearings went bad so i bought a new long block. The new motor has hydralic lifters and cam my old motor has roller lifters and cam. Does that make any difference. The problem i am having with the new motor is 5 & 7 there is no compretion ? please and thank you for your help :confuse:
    Thanks-The re;lay is what I was after.For some reason my owners manual shows the realy, but not what it is for.
    I decided to replace the abs sensor($20) on the differential(guy at ford dealer said they go bad quite often) and it did not help.I had my doubts, but gave it a try.The code I got was a 17(possible relay, fuse, intermittent valve failures, opens or shorts to ground,high resistance valves etc) when I did the test prior.I tried swapping the horn relay with the ABS relay in the Distribution box which had the same numbers on them and that did not make the lite go out.I only started the vehicle in the garage which I felt should be enough to make the lite go out if the sensor or relay was the culprit.Are there any resistance readings on the wires comeing from the rear sensor that I should look for.One reads 5k and the other has very high res.Would like to fix the problem if possible.thanks
  • madmastiffmadmastiff Member Posts: 3
    vehicle starts and runs but will start to stall out from a stop. will often stall out when slowing down. did all summer. this winter i noted that the the battery gauge would start to go down first and then it would quit.the needle sits on the M but when it starts the stall outs it sits on the R. it did oscillate a couple of time at night and the gauge went up and down as the lights brightened and dimmed. one mechanic stated he thought it was the trottle sensor. but there has been a few times where after it has done the stop and i restart that it just cranked and cranked and cranked, with no restart, but as soon as i turn it completely off and hit the key it starts back up.

ignition module? or stick of dynamite
    yo,
    17 Reference Voltage/Intermittent Valve Fault
    Possible Source(s):
    · 30 amp fuse open.
    · Intermittent connections to battery, main relay or ground. @ driver's side radiator support and;
    · Main relay coil or contacts open. MIESK5 note; check relay contacts FOR corrosion pull relay again & ck ;
    also see Fig. 12 and on (in below LINK) for pin point tests of CODE 17 -· Open or short to ground in Circuit 532 (O/Y). · Open or short to ground in Circuit 599 (PK/LG).
    · Open or short to ground in Circuit 601 (LG/PK).MIESK5 note; FROM FUSE PANEL 30 amp fuse
    · Short to ground through anti-lock hydraulic control unit.
    · Intermittent valve failures.
    · High resistance valves.

So, ck that Relay's contacts (not the relay's contacts, but the connector's contacts.)

Here is Chilton's wiring diagram via autozone; you will see all above ckts and color codes in Fig. 8: 4-wheel ABS testing-1993-96 Bronco models
    http://www1.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/a4/89/0900823d800aa489/repa- - irInfoPages.htm

Also, R values for all in Fig. 10:
    Read thru all of that Chilton stuff; can save you $ btw, the rear ABS sensor on the diff would give Code 57.

GL!
    yo madmastiff,

Take it to get a free batty, alternator, etc check at AutoZone, Also Adv Auto may do it free too;
    possible battery, grounds, connectors, etc.
    Did you do the Self TEst for Codes? if not, get it done free at the AZ and post results here.

GL
    Ck with folks you bought the long Block from to see if the cam is for rollers.

Most likely; Could be just a head gasket which has blown between those two cylinders, sticky valve(s) etc.
    or worse; Another possibility is that the camshaft is broken in an area that operates valves for two adjacent cylinders. not likely..

read more here Compression Testing, Stem
    Source: by tradervar.com http://www.tradervar.com/Stem%20Compression%20Tester.pdf
    A leakdown will determine whats going on in those cylinders,look inside the radiator for any "brown foam" to see if the head gasket is blown.Aside from that the leakdown will tell you all thats going on

GL!
    Is there more than one relay for the ABS system?
    thanks for the info miesk5
    electrics all check on nov. 1 as i got a new battery that day. have not tried the check the codes
    heading to AZ tomorrow morning.
    No bav, just that one relay; ck the socket for corrosion before you do anythaNG
    OK MADm!
    gl!
    ok-thanks.I wish I had waited and not replaced the rear sensor.Could have saved $20.Something I did notice before the ABS light came on was that sometimes when I lightly touched the brake pedal it felt like it would stick and pop out.Not sure if that tells you anything.Live and learn
    yo BAV!
    Doubt that it is the brake pedal, Look @ that AutoZone Link I posted and go thru the pin point tests for that Code. In reply mode here, I can't view what I posted.
    GL!
    got the codes and fond a p334.ergsystem high signal for the sensor.

had a cracked erg tube
    valve system was shot
    and the sensor..
    $339 in parts and its running right.
  • burton31burton31 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have an 86 bronco and will somtimes start but it hesitats and dies iv taken it to 2 local shops and ran it on the computer but cant find nothing. they said its getting a positive charge on both injector wires. they cant find no broken wires grounds ar good and i put a new distributer and computer in. chek engin light is off. i dont know what to do. PLEAS HELLP.
  • fordmangt350fordmangt350 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 1994 Bronco that had a blown engine. After replacing the engine, and chasing down all the electrical problems I have a problem I can't fix. The overhead console comes on for about 5 seconds when the key is first turned on, and then it goes out. The display shows "188 e var/cal 00
    Any help would be appreciated
    Burton,
    Did the shop say anything about the TFI Module? Sometimes a new TFI can be a bad unit.

Ck yourself;
    TFI Module Failure, Troubleshooting Tips, Ford
    Source: by napaechlin.com http://www.napaechlin.com/web_app/TechTips/TechPage.aspx?ID=28
    and a general one w/other tests;
    TFI Module Diagnostics Manual
    Source: by broncoii.org http://www.broncoii.org/techpages/eeciv/index.htm#TFI Timing: (11)
    GL!