Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Aveo

2»

Comments

• neil733neil733 Member Posts: 9
    GM (well, GM-Daewoo) do make a 3door, for the European market at least.
    See http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/models/kalos_3d/t0_index_0.htm

The reason for the redesign being sedan only is simple - the sedan is the biggest seller in Korea and developing markets such as China and Eastern Europe. The hatchback sells more in Western Europe. The target customers are very different - the hatchback is a second car to a stylish Western European family, the sedan is an only car for someone who dreams of owning an E-Class but can't afford it. A strong front end with a chrome grille will work for the sedan customers, but won't appeal to the Western European hatchback buyers. Hence the sedan has been redesigned for its new target markets, but the hatch remains the same. The hatch actually had a front-end restyle for Europe prior to launch - the original US-market front end would not have appealed here either (although it was used on the sedan in some European markets).
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Drove a 5 door hatch a couple of years ago. This seems more composed with big interior improvements. If I remember correctly the 5-speed in the hatch was like rowing through oatmeal. Although I don't normally like automatics on small cars this seemed more composed and pleasant.

I'd still be worried about crash-worthiness. Still can't figure out why crash tests in Europe are so much worse than the hatch.
    Gotta say the LT was much more upscale feeling. Kia had crank windows for about the same price as a fully dressed and much more attractive LT. Was really disturbed that the list price was $3K more than I paid for an Elantra five years ago. What's going on with Hyundai/Kia anyway? You can get a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with a lot more kit for less money than the stripper Rio.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    What's going on with Hyundai/Kia anyway? You can get a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with a lot more kit for less money than the stripper Rio.

I don't know where you get your figures -- Edmund's TMV for a base Rio w/destination is $11,158 and for a base Fit w/destination is $14,445.

The Fit is certainly more car, but on my planet $3300 MORE is not considered LESS MONEY.
    I wasn't in the get down and dirty mode with the Rio, simply looking at the sticker. This car had air, but no cruise and roll up windows. The sticker was within a hundred or so of the Fit. Haven't pulled up the TMV, is there a big rebate in October that wasn't there in September? When I asked a few questions of the salesman all I got was "there's not much markup in these, yadayadayada." They offered an 06.5 Optima for less than a thou. more.

Expect big discounts with all of these b-class cars if gas prices stay down-- it's 1.97 in St. Louis.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Really? I much preferred the Rio's ride and handling to the Aveo I just test-drove. The Rio/Accent are definitely more expensive than they were a few years ago, but they're also leaps and bounds ahead of the previous models.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    The sticker was within a hundred or so of the Fit.

If you were looking at the Rio5 hatch, it is indeed just about a hundred cheaper than a base Fit. When you mentioned "stripper Rio", I looked at the cheapest 4-door sedan which is $3000 less than the Rio5 (TMV price is only $200 less than MSRP).

Only rebates are $500 owner loyalty and $400 for college grad bonus.
    My fiance is in the market so my driving was limited. I was on this board knocking the 07 Aveo sedan as being plug ugly a few weeks ago but it seemed like a big move up in sophistication from the 05 hatch I'd driven. Still like hatches as does she so she might look at the 07.5 hatch which will (hopefully) contain the sedan's interior improvements.

No doubt that both the Rio and Accent (especially the Rio) are improvements on the previous platform.

Liked my Elantra, liked my Festiva, so Hyundai/Kia products represent two of my three favorite cars among the 30 or so I've owned. Like my Malibu Maxx better though.

If it came down to it, I'd be hesitant to actually buy an Aveo because I'm leary of Daewoo products. It does seem to be way ahead of the cars that went to Suzuki, however.

I'd also be leary of the of the Aveo's widely varying gas mileage. I average 24 with my Maxx and can easily do better than 30 on road trips. Why have an Aveo that gets the same mileage as the 'Bu?
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    The redesign of the sedan is vital for the Canadian market and also Europe. In Canada the consumer is more open to the suggestion of buying a fully loaded smaller car, as opposed to buying less loaded larger car, much like European consumers. I disagree with an earlier posting that suggests that consumers in EU will buy the AVEO as a second car and not load the AVEO with many options. Europeans will likely buy the AVEO sedan or the new 2008 hatchback as a fully loaded primary car for their daily use. The availability of options is vital for this market. In addition, many consumers in Europe as starting to move away from the 3 and 5 door hatchback style towards a estate (sedan) as their car of choice.

The new sedan allows GM to bring the Aveo upscale and the new comfort and safety features available on the sedan reflect this. A GMDAT factory in Poland has just started production of the new AVEO sedan and will soon also produce the new 2008 hatchback 3 and 5doors for the EU market.
    There's nothing wrong with the motor in the new Aveo Sedan. It's horsepower is lower than Versa, Fit and Yaris, but the torque is produced at a much lower rpm than those other cars. Acceleration figures for the 5speed Aveo Sedan are matched to the Yaris Sedan, and only about 1 second below the Versa and Fit.

The 2007 Aveo Sedan has a completely revised suspension system and with the optional 15" wheels, the car handles nothing like the previous 2006 Aveo/Kalos Sedan. Those who doubt me - take the new Aveo Sedan for a drive. Engine noise has been greatly improved and wind noise too. The car is very stable at freeway speeds upto 150km/hr with little wind noise.
  • nordy200nordy200 Member Posts: 14
    I took delivery of my new Aveo last week and overall impressions are pretty good. I bought it without taking a test drive as I wanted something cheaper and easier to drive than my 04 F-150 and this car fits the bill. Very inexpensive; I got the SVM and had factory A/C added, that's it. Drives great, handles well, the engine is smooth and quiet (for such an inexpensive car), I love the easy and smooth clutch, the 5-speed is fine, plenty of power at 70+ with a/c on and 29 mpg in first tankful.
    There is some real cheapness in the car-the folding armrest, the molded in side window dashboard vents, the window cranks that are all plastic and may strip out after a few years, the factory base speakers sound awful. The important stuff they seem to have done well though.
    I ordered a 16" wheel/tire package from Performance, and replaced the radio with a nice JVC stereo/speaker set.
    Overall, a pretty decent car.
    A few weeks ago I went back into a Chevy dealership with a friend who was looking at the Malibu Maxx and I compared the LS with my LT/RS and found that the LS has completely different armrests, lacks the silver metal accents on the door handles and dashboard. The RS package in Canada (not available in the USA) adds an upgraded 6 speaker stereo with ipod nano and steering wheel stereo controls. I think the speakers with the upgrade are different than the base LS radio speaker, because I love the bass and overall sound from my mp3 player on my RS.

:confuse:
    My AVEO has now 5,000km on the odo and so far nothing has gone wrong with the car - nothing at all! This is better than the 2001 Toyota Echo that I took delivery on years ago.

My AVEO has been averaging about 7.4 litres per 100km of mixed city/freeway driving, or about 34 MPG USA/38 Imperial Gallons.

A great little car.
  • cmoore7cmoore7 Member Posts: 3
    Lease 2007 Aveo 5 LT automatic a few weeks ago. Fully loaded sunroof, RS package, aluminum wheels, AC, 6 Speaker in dash 6D changer etc.

I had ridden as a passenger in one a couple of times but never drove on until I picked up the car. So far very pleased with the car. Cruises fine at highway speed, spacious, seats comfortable.

Acceleration a bit slow and motor a bit noisy during acceleration but I am impressed so far with fit and finish. Mileage so far about 33 mpg.
  • jayman1967jayman1967 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Aveo with 80,000 miles on it with no issues and I am hoping it will go 300,000 miles. I get around 38-42 mpg with a 5 speed.
    7,000 KM and not a single thing has gone wrong with my AVEO. And yeah it's a 5 speed. I don't understand why anyone would buy an automatic transmission these days when 5 speeds are so easy to drive. You have better control over the car, better fuel economy and less transmission issues with a manual transmission and let's face it, these small cars are best with manual trannies which is how most of the world buys them, drives them.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree about the manual in a small car, but some automatics actually have better mileage depending on the overall gearing. I believe the Aveo is rated a 1 mpg better with the auto. For people who live or drive mostly in the city or bumper to bumper the auto would make sense. The USA only has about 5% manually transmissioned car popularity compared to about 30% back in 1980.
    Hmmm...that's strange, in Canada the aveo automatic gets worse fuel mileage than the sedan as most autos do. In Canada about 25% are manual transmission. Over 50% of cars sold in Canada are subcompact or compact sized compared to 13% in USA.
  • jstolzjstolz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 07 Aveo 5 speed. It has 14,000 miles. It developed a massive oil leak at about 5k-- dealer saif it was becasue of new "paper gaskets". They repaired. The car smelled of oil especially when coming to a sudden stop. They said it was just leftover oil. Next made horrible noise. They "tighten down" some sheet metal. Then engine raced at start and ran rough. Plus new oil leak. Timing belt was rubbing on casing-- had to "play with it" to make it fit right. Oil Pan leaked- Fixed both after having the vehicle for a couple of weeks.

NOW--- I reported a minor oil leak (about a quarter size after it sits overnight) plus a ticking noise. (sounds like loose metal-- not engine noise). Checked to seet hat oil was full before about a 100 mile drive. Car gets noisier during the drive. I called the dealer and was told "not to worry about it" if the car still had power. Continue to drive until I get a puff of blue smoke, see parts of the car flying off on either side of the freeway. Car stalls all warning lights come on.. Car now is sitting at a different dealer. I have no confidence in the car any more--- 2 questions: Anyone have any similar issues or have any ideas as to the problem(s) AND what do I need to do to invoke my rights under lemon law?

Thanks

Jim
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Engine problems as you describe seem to be rare on the Aveo...the engine design has been around for some time. Its mechanical reliability is one of the really bright spots of the Aveo.

Definitely take it to another dealer for service, as the 1st one seems suspect, at best. In fact, I suspect that is the real source of your problem.

Lemon laws differ from state to state, so I have no suggestions there. However, I suspect that a good dealer can repair the vehicle to satisfactory standards.
    thanks-- just got word that I threw a rod (after the dealer told me to go ahead and driv ethe car)

New Engine time---what you would folks do--replace the engine and he happy or go lemon law?

Many thanks

jiim
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I would ask you this question...If not for the engine problems, did you like the car?

Were there any other significant issues that surfaced during your ownership?

If not, keep the vehicle.

Going the lemon law route is time consuming and never guaranteed to succeed, and almost always culminates in the pro-rated discount for mileage on the vehicle, so it isn't like you get a check back from GM for the total cost of the car.

Instead, if I were you, I would DEMAND a factory engine, not a rebuilt one done by the dealer. And, I would also attempt to negotiate an extention to the drive-train warranty. ANd, don't forget to negotiate for a free rental or loaner while the work is being done.

Good luck, and let us know how it winds up!
  • drh500drh500 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 07 LT off the showroom floor as soon as they came out. Now has 50K and all original. Tires show no wear, rides great. Just got done going on vacation (2600 mile roundtrip) and averaged 38.7 mpg!! One fill up, I got 40mpg. I have an automatic. I drive it 300 miles a week to work and love the mpg! beat out any Kia/Hyundai/Honda I compared it to. What I like most about it is the seats. I sit high and there is no driver fatique. Am considering trading for the newly restyled 09 Aveo5.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I wouldn't trade it if it is doing what you want it to do.
  • 2007aveohb2007aveohb Member Posts: 4
    Over the last week, I have learned more about oil sludge than I ever thought I would know.

My 2007 Chevy Aveo (5dr Automatic) oil light came on and a faint ticking was coming from the engine. I immediately drove it
    1/2 mile to oil lube and they said I need to tow it to a shop. It did not seize up.. I had it towed to dealership. I have never had a problem with this car before that. It is still under the 5yr/100000 mile powertrain warranty.

I bought it used from a reputable rental company Enterprise in March 2008 29000 miles. Unfortunately they did not give me their maintenance records and I did not think to ask at the time.
    I have all my maintenance records showing timely oil changes with Pennzoil 5W30 oil.
    The car has 68000 miles on it. I use it for business.
    Some stop and go(never idling or dusty roads) and some highway at 60 mpg for 6 miles or more.
    The longest between changes was 5600. But most were between 3100 and 4500.
    GM's recommended interval is 3000 for short trip(5 miles). Dealership is satisfied with my records, said I did fine with the maintenance.

GM warranty requires ALL the maintenance records even from Enterprise Car Sales, which Enterprise told me they "purged" the records which pretty much means I cant prove good maintenance. Dealership says that the vehicle could have been abused/neglected before I bought it. That means GM wont pay. At this point I have become distrusting of everyone involved.

Now the dealership service center says that GM is requiring them to tear down the motor to see if there is any coolant mixed in the sludge and to send a sludge sample to the lab. If they find coolant they would fix the car, but if they dont find any coolant, then I have to pay for the tear down $600 plus what it costs to repair/replace engine because then the reason is neglect.

I asked if neglect or coolant leaking were the ONLY reasons sludge would be present and they said yes.

My coolant levels were normal, and the service rep pretty much told me that the sludge was black, not milky yogurt looking (which would indicate coolant in the oil)
    but they still need to do the tear down, just in case.
    I questioned this and the mgr is playing good cop "wont do this dealership any good if customer unhappy" "GM requires this" "we want to help you" I dont know if this is all just a song and dance they do with everyone.

I dont know why they cant get sample from oil pan.
    I have not yet called the 1 800 number.
    I am getting a sample of the sludge myself.
    The 60000 mile timing belt will be replaced when they fix/replace engine.

Here is my advice (what I have learned):
    1.Use a synthetic oil, a good one and good filters. If you go to a lube place, bring your own oil and filter.
    2. Change your oil at 3000 no matter what the Owners Manual says. I could have been better about my oil changes.
    3. Get all the maintenance records from anyone you buy a used car from at they time of the sale or say "No deal" This warranty is not good without them.
    4. If you are going thru a lot of coolant, get your car to the shop asap, it could be leaking into the engine.

Sorry so long, I dont want this to happen to anyone else. I see alot of posts here saying they change oil every 7500 miles and I cringe,
    edited February 2010
    OK I was pretty upset when I wrote the above post. I want everyone to know I LOVE MY 2007 AVEO. :) It is a zippy little car with tons of space inside. I have transported my 3 Golden Retrievers and my Chihuahua (all are rescues) all at the same time and one time I even transported three 5 ft palm plants. The seats are made of durable material. It gets good gas milage, about 26-27 MPG in the city, much better on the highway. Also, and this is important to me, it has front wheel drive. It will stop on a dime. I have never slid in the rain when the brakes were applied in the AVEO. I had a Jeep Liberty Limited Edition with all the bells and whistles and in the rain, the wheels locked up a few times and the last time, I rear ended someone. It was totaled and thankfully no one was injured. I rented an AVEO and fell in love with the little car so I bought one and never regretted it.

That said, I went to the dealership this morning and talked to my service rep. He has always been super nice and I truly believe he wants to help. Maybe the manager is the same way, and I shouldn't have said the "good cop song and dance" thing above until I know for sure. GM, not loving them so much- mainly because they took bailout money, my tax dollars, and got in bed with the govt.
    I am ticked off a Enterprise car sales for not passing on the service records.

Got my sample straight from the top of the motor, black coal like looking chunks. I was mortified. I should hear something today on what the lab they used says. Regardless of what they find, I wish I would have changed the oil every 3000.

Also, under the advice section of my post above, I said to use synthetic oil, my service rep says they use valvoline not synthetic, so I need to research that a little more. Still get good filters and change every 3000.

Will update.
  • hooah212002hooah212002 Member Posts: 4
    As far as synthetic is concerned, go for it. However, you must continue to use it as it shrinks the seals, so going from synthetic to regular oil will likely cause leaks. If the dealership/GM is giving your grief, try out some Seafoam in the interim and see if that helps your problem. it only costs 10-20 bucks and could save you 1000.
    Thanks for your post but...Motor is torn down and we are waiting to hear from GM on whether or not they will pay for it. I authorized the service rep to start on repairs last Friday and they are waiting on parts to come in. I did not want it just sitting there waiting for GM to make a decision.
  • bobot04bobot04 Member Posts: 4
    can somebody please help me about my 2010 aveo hatchback? i don't know where the oil drain plug is? and what does it looks like? please...........
This discussion has been closed.