Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2007

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    However, the Nissan Sentra has far cleaner lines than the Ion, even if they have some similar looks. The Sentra probably drives better, too. :)
  • v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    ">Nevertheless, the 2007 Sentra (above) is sure to be a much better vehicle than the ION - even being based on the European "Renault Megane II" platform. Even the French should be able to build a better sedan than the Saturn ION.

Be nice with the French :P, the Megane II sells really well in Europe and it looks nice too. And above all, all cars in EUROPE are better in build quality than American ones. See, Americans like things BIG, Europeans like them well build and stylish.
    :)
    The 2.0L engine from the new Sentra is the same engine that is available on the European market for a Renault Megane II 2.0 16V.
    It`s never too late right? :D
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Five weeks with no posts? Hard to believe. Nissan is ramping up the marketing for the new Sentra. They have big ads in the car mags, claiming "you could live in it". And one guy did, for a week anyway. You can even build one on nissanusa.com. I priced out a 2.0S with ABS, and found out I had to get alloys plus a $650 convenience package also. Seems odd that Nissan didn't make ABS standard on the new Sentra, when that is becoming more common in this class (e.g. Civic and Elantra have it standard). The price was about $1500 more than an Elantra SE, although the Sentra has a 6-speed stick standard (although lower fuel economy than with the Elantra's 5-speed) and the convenience package includes IntelligentKey and Bluetooth according to the web site. Interior-room wise they are nearly the same. The competition between these two newest low-end midsize sedans should be interesting.
  • vmokhutovvmokhutov Member Posts: 23
    Anybody test drove new sentra with manual? According to reviews regarding new versa people say that manual transmission is notchy and rpms hanging when clutch is depressed while going to another gear. Anybody can comment on that with sentra. What engine revs at 120 km/h?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I've heard that the 2007 Sentra S and SL models will offer ABS standard.
    That's not what the "build your own Sentra" site at www.nissanusa.com shows. It shows an "ABS/alloy wheel package" for the Sentra 2.0 S, $600, which requires selection of a $650 Convenience Package also. Try it out and see for yourself. However, it does show the alloys and ABS standard on the SL, which lists for over $19k. It also appears the brakes on all models are front disc/rear drums.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I completely forgot this car existed even though I had been shopping economy cars for a few weeks.
    I just saw a Motorweek review on tv that reminded me about the Sentra.
    I have yet to see a 2007 Sentra on the road.
    My local dealer doesn't have any yet. I think they just started going on sale. But since it's been so long since the last all-new Sentra, I'm surprised there's not more buzz about it here. :surprise:
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Two things that I read about the car which I don't like.
    The base model has rear drum brakes and they mention that ABS can be added as an option. They don't say the rear brakes will be upgraded to discs with the ABS Package. Does anybody know?

ALos this car does not have an independent rear suspension. It has a torsion bar suspension. This is a cheaper suspension than a multi link independent rear suspension and GM has been putting them on their cars for years. It is a shame that this car comes packaged this way. Does anybody know if the current 06 Sentra hasd this type of suspension or is it a cost cutting measure?
    The fully independent rear suspension went out with the 1995 Sentra. Quite a few small cars have a beam suspension, but some of the Sentra's competitors have a fully-independent rear and standard 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

The Nissan web site states in the Features matrix that rear drum brakes are standard in all trim lines. Since ABS is standard with the Sentra SL, that would seem to indicate that the ABS brakes have rear drums--unless the web site is in error.
  • denver_nissandenver_nissan Member Posts: 18
    We received three 2007 Sentras this week. I have not had a chance to drive one yet, but certainly will this coming Wednesday when we do a "Ride and Drive" with the Nissan reps, comparing the new Sentra to the Civic and the Corolla. The one in the showroom has the 6 spd.

If anyone has any questions on the new car, I will try my best to answer them.
    Please give us your impressions of the car vs. the Civic and Corolla (moreso the Civic since the Corolla is a dated design), including such things as ride and handling, NVH, fit and finish, interior quality, switchgear, acceleration, shifting (esp. with the 6-speed), and passenger comfort. Also, if you have the chance to take the all-new Elantra for a drive, it would be really interesting to hear a comparison of the two, since they are both all-new designs and very close to each other in interior room and power.
    Expect a very glowing review of his "impressions" from the Nissan dealership poster.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I'll hold my expectations until after I read Mark's post, thanks.

That said, there's enough bashing going on in these forums as it is. So I draw the line and object to "pre-bashing". Give the kid a chance to be objective. He might surprise us all. I, for one, would love to know all the things he'll learn in the Ride and Drive. Let's encourage him to do a good job, and not bash him before he gets a chance to try.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Ditto my friend. You are right, these forums have become very "antagonistic" and negative over the past year or so. I don't get it actually. This site is supposed to be fun and informational, yet so many use sarcasm & negativity that it ruins the joint.
    Having been a Sentra owner...'03 GXE, I'd hope for a vast improvement over the last generation. The only positive mine had was a killer stereo from the Road Trip package. The '07 does in fact look our Mazda 3...which is a good thing.

The Sandman :)
  • sramachandransramachandran Member Posts: 6
    Folks-

Any first hand experiences test driving/owning the Sentra 07? I test drove one, and found it much better than Corolla '07. But, few things. Build quality? Reputation of Nissan, and buying a new product from them?
    Also, it is said everywhere that it is an "all new" engine. But, one of the salespersons said it was an engine already put into good use in Europe, and so I need not worry about "experimenting" a new engine.
    Also, can anyone comment on the safety features in the Sentra '07? I have heard that Sentras always had a poor crash test score? Is that true?
    Would I be making a mistake by buying a Sentra instead of a 07 Corolla or Civic?
    I know, all these are confusions of a new buyer. But, experienced folks please enlighten me!

Thanks.
    I drove a 2.0S on Saturday, here's my report (with comparison to the other new "compact" this fall, the Elantra):

backy, "2007 Hyundai Elantra vs. 2007 Nissan Sentra" #24, 28 Oct 2006 2:01 pm

I agree the Sentra is a lot better than the Corolla. Roomier, much nicer looking interior, quieter, better standard safety features, etc.

Since the Sentra is all-new, with standard 6 airbags, I think we need to wait and see how it does in crash tests before jumping to conclusions based on past Sentras. The last Sentra was designed in the late '90s, so the new car should be much improved in crash safety. I am disappointed the base and S models don't have standard ABS and it's a pricey option (requiring purchase of alloys plus a convenience package just to get ABS).

It's always something of a risk buying a brand-new design, but the new-for-2006 Civic and even the Corolla are not immune to problems--check out the Problems discussions in Town Hall for these two cars for example.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey, Everyone:

I just read this and thought I'd share it with you. I can't wait for Edmunds' first drive, or full test report on the new Sentra. Until then, this one's a good review. Very positive!

http://newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Nissan_Sentra&ReviewID=- - 1969

Enjoy.
    As I said in msg #54 yes, the sentra has a new engine, BUT only for the US/Canada market. It uses an engine developed several years ago (2-3-4) by Renault and it`s used today in Europe in the Megane II, which as far as I knw doesnt really have any problems with that particular engine, and if it did in the past I`m sure they managed to get rid of them. All this said, you won`t have to test it! Someone else already did. Basically, you won`t have to test anything in the Sentra, due to the fact that it is a 3 yr old Renault Megane II... it shares absolutely everything with that particular model from Renault.

3 yrs ago the Megane was a blast in the European market, it handled well, build quality was very good and now , 3 yrs later, reliability is good too.

Safety features? I think the Rabbit/Jetta are the only ones in this category that have more safety features available (options - not standard) and by that I only mean one: ESP. BUT Sentra has more standard safety features (same ones the Renault Megane uses in Europe - and it got 5 out of 5 stars in EuroNCap crash tests for both front/lateral) than both of them, so safety features are REALLY not to worry about.

I`m sure Sentra will do really good in US GOV and IIHS crash test. Yes, models in the past were pretty bad, but they didnt have all this safety features we`re getting now PLUS this "new" platform.

Finally I`ll take a Sentra over a Civic, but again that`s just me. One thing you should look for, the 6 speed manual it`s a beauty (I guess I`m not a CVT/Automatic person).

Hope to hear from you soon! Tell us what happened!

vd
    Anyone taken the leap, and taken one home?

Myself, I like the 2.0S. with manual trans, All the goodies, and ABS. I* definitely want to see how the body-colored side molding looks.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that Nissan forces you to get the 2.0SL to get the Magic Key(?) system. Anyone know for sure about this?
    I think you're right about IntelligentKey. I looked at the options and I didn't see that for the S but did see it on the SL. Or maybe it was I didn't see it for the stick but did see it for the CVT. I am confused! :confuse:
  • edurighteduright Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I have now driven 5 different 2007 Elantras on various kinds of road- sometimes across the same road. I am impressed with many aspects of the car. However, I see several probles:

1. The automatic has a power and acceleration "hole" in third gear. Its like it is stuck there.

2. It is noisier than I had hoped. Wind noise is good, but engine noise is a real problem, especailly at cruising speeds of over 65 MPH or so with the manual tranny. It runs at 3400 RPM or so at this speed- at 80 MPH it is WAY too loud. THe automatic is a bit better in this respect.

THere is a serious choppiness problem with certain kinds of concrete roads that have recurring bumps at joints in concrete sections. The Elantra bobs on needlessly when it should not.

It has a nice stabilty to the ride as long as you are on smoothe black top. Isoulation from road noise is pretty good, but engine noise is a problem. THe five speed manula shifts well. THe drivers seat supports pretty well.

If you look at www.ecocenter.com, the interior ratings for toixic emissions of chemicals in plastis is VERY high on the Hyundai fleet.

The 4 wheel disc brakes are good. So is the baseline stereo unit. THe blue lights are very nice.

THe proce of the GLS stick shift was about 15,600 If the prolems listed above are ameliorated, it will be a great car. I believe that the Nissan Sentras (2007s) I just drove are a better car. But pricier........

Steering/handling is good.
    Why are you posting this in the Sentra discussion? There's an Elantra vs. Sentra discussion that would be more appropriate.

I have to question your figures for rpms at 65 mph though. I owned an Elantra 5 speed with basically the same engine as the 2007 model, and it turned at just under 3000 rpms at 70 mph. Are you sure you had the car in fifth gear?

There is no web site "www.ecocenter.com".
    Hi,

Well, I hope that there are less typos in this post compared to my last one. (oops)

I just drove 2 different Sentras on several differnt days- some of the cars several times. Both were automatics- one was a sporty one with aluminum wheels.

engine I also did a lot of test driving of 2007 Elantras recently.

The Nissan is a much more refined car in several key respects. THe CVT works well and shifts pretty smoothe. The car is pretty quiet- quieter than the Elantra. High speed
    noise is less, for one. The Sentra ride is not choppy like the Elantra- some aspects of its ride are as smoothe as a Camry (heavier/bigger). This is not expected in a Sentra! Handling/steering is good. Somehow the car does not feel as sporty as the previous Sentra. The ride and handling seem to be set for comfortable ride and highway cruising. The suspension could stand to be a bit more firm and taut.

The dashboard lights look cool, and are pretty easy to read.
    Seats lack some support, more so with the cloth than the leather. Seat bottom desighn needs work. The car needs a tilt/telescoping steering whell like the Elantra has. THe Elantra is a bit roomier too.

The double trunk compartment in the Snetra is a good idea.

Legroom in the rear is good. Exterior design is nice/cool- I like it. The baseline sereo is good. THe $750.00 Rockford Fosgate is overkill (overpriced) and is not all that much better than the baseline stereo.

THe Sentra gets pricey real fast when options are added.

It would be interesting to try the six speed manual.

I like the intelli key entry system. The interior is simple, but nice.

The car needs stabilty control as an option, at least.
    All cars do.

Nissan is going to sell lots of these cars, and I predict that people will catch the glitches I discussed with the Elantra- and avoid it. The Sentra is better than the Caliber, except for the fact that they are two differnt designs- the CVT tranny in the Caliber works a bit better than in the Sentra.
    Backy,

I have never posted here before. Sorry that I made a posting error (of sorts). I was just on the Elantra pages, and thought that I was still there; (OOPS)- I walked away from the computer and did not recheck the page I was on. I have been driving these cars on the same day, too.

the website is www.ecocenter.org not .com

I was in fifth gear at 75 MPH and the Elantra was running at 3300-3400 RPM I can check this again when/if I drive it again. I am very (double)sure that it was well over 3100 RPM. I checked it several times. At 78 MPH it became too loud, period!
    Hi,

Today, I drove several 07 Sentras and my 06 Corolla Le with the Sentra salesman. He had not ridden in a Corolla for some time, and liked it a lot. He feels that the new Sentra is the equal of the Corolla, and I agree. The Sentra is a bit quieter overall, and has a more plush/less firm ride.
    The Corolla is a bit heavier and bigger. It has a 1.8L engine, and I just located one with stabilty control, near to my area. The rest are in France- both of them.......

Can you get four wheel disc brakes with the Sentra? I liked the brakes on the Sentras I drove. (discs on the front, drums on rear).
    OK, you initially said 3400 rpm at 65 mph, which didn't look right.

What were the rpms of the automatic at 75 mph? My Elantra automatic (a '04) does 70 mph at about 2550 rpms.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Several posts have been moved to IIHS Picks Safest Vehicles at the request of one of the participants in the conversation. (Great suggestion! Thanks.)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Thank you!
    "THe CVT works well and shifts pretty smoothe"

Say a word... did it have a manual mode? From what I know, the Sentra doesn`t have one, so basically the CVT couldn`t shift because it`s a Continuous Variable Tranny.

"the CVT tranny in the Caliber works a bit better than in the Sentra"

What Caliber did you drive? I had one with the 2.0 engine 2WD of course with CVT and it really needed the gas pedal down to get going. As the Sentra is much lighter and the CVT is more "high-tech" (2.0 Caliber has CVT I, while the 2.4 Caliber has CVT II - if I recall) so basically, you get no shifting points, awesome(!) fuel consumption and little rpms.
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    I saw the 2007 Sentra at an auto show and thought it looked nice - but it didn't have cruise control. I think you had to purchase an option package (either about $750 or $900) to get cruise control. I'm disappointed. :(:(
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/be/07sentra.htm

Here's another Canadian Review of the '07 Sentra.
    I went to the dealer last night and they had one that was getting PDI'd. Had a chance to see it and sit in it.
    Looks much nicer in/out than the previous model.
    Wanted to check front head/leg room as I am 6'1'.
    Headroom and legroom were the best of any that I've been in.
    Including Civic, Corolla and Elantra. It'd be a tough choice between Civic and Sentra for me. I actually felt more comfy sitting in the Sentra than the Civic. But given Honda's great engine/trans record plus better resale value, I'm leaning toward the Civic. Will Have to wait to see some reviews and tests for the Sentra.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Nissan To Debut Sentra SE-R at L.A. Auto Show

I'm hoping the SE-R is more like the '93 SE-R rather than the dumbed-down versions they've offered lately.
    I'm also cross-shopping Sentra & Civic. The trunk seesm to be much larger on the Sentra. FWIW.

Also, I'm disappointed that HOnda didn't give the USA Civic the "Magic Seats" that the Euro-spec Civic has. At least the Sentra has a rear-seat cushion that folds, and then the backrest fold. You get a perfectly flat loading area that way.
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    I'm not sure what "magic seats" are, but I guess is doesn't much matter if N. America isn't getting them. Was funny, I sat in the Honda and my head was near touching the roof. Then I realized how to move the seat-height down, much better. The Sentra had a bit more leg room in front as well.

On the trunk, it's very large, and you're right, the seats fold down nice and flat. I guess the Civic's trunk is smaller, but I do like the very wide opening to it, say for golf clubs.
    Does Traction Control on a FWD car like this, make much of a difference to you all Up North?
    It's a nice feature to have on the Frozen Tundra, yes.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Does Traction Control on a FWD car like this, make much of a difference to you all Up North?

I do not care for it. The only traction control I need is my right foot.
    Where Up North are you, moparbad?
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228

Unnecessary for me (and most of Mass I would think). The roads are plowed down to pavement so quickly it's hardly needed....especially with a fwd sedan. I've personally only lost control in the snow around here once, and it was because I tried taking a turn without slowing down . And traction control would've made no difference in that instance.

As long as you don't drive like a moron and have even somewhat decent tires on your car, traction control really isn't necessary on compact FWD sedans in 90% of the country IMO....even here in NE.
    So, how did the Ride and Drive go?
  • patweezpatweez Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2007 Nissan Sentra SL about 2 weeks ago, and I'd have to say that i'm really satisfied. I love the interior and the drive is so smooth. I also love the intelligent key system. I didn't get the audio package, but the premium stereo sounds pretty good. I just wish I had the in-dash CD changer. Overall, I am happy with my sentra. Hopefully this info helps everyone. :)
  • denver_nissandenver_nissan Member Posts: 18
    Sorry for my slow reply. We did the "Ride and Drive" comparing the three cars. The acceleration felt comparable on all of them on a relatively short straight. The CVT is not the greatest off the line. The straight was only about 150 yards long.

In the cornering, the Sentra really did feel better. Very flat with no under/over steer. The Corolla went through 3 sets of tires one day I understand. They were really worn on their edges. I have to admit that the Sentra's were scalloped, but the Toyota's were trashed. The course had the surface of 10,000 grit sandpaper, that didn't help.

Regarding the torsion beam suspension, Nissan tuned it beatifully. I defy you to find an appreciable difference between the handling quality of the Civic and the Sentra. One great thing this suspension affords is more useable trunk room. Combine the low profile of the suspension, with the innovative trunk hinge mechanism, and you have more wall-to-wall capacity.

I found the solidness of the door closing better on the Sentra than the Civic. The Civic's door felt pretty light. Overall room felt much better in the Sentra than the other cars.

The CVT is a fine transmission. No maintenance required. Light and efficient. Hard to beat. I tend to like it more in our more powerful vehicles (the Maxima, the new Altima 3.5 (just scorchingly amazing I must say)). What is amazing is that it gets better mileage than the 6 spd manual. I don't know why we make the 4 spd auto. The Altima is CVT or 6M. That works for me.

We are receiving more Sentras than Versas now. Do test drive the new 3.5 Altima. You will be wanting one immediately.

Ciao,

Mark
    Overall room felt much better in the Sentra than the other cars.

That's not surprising since the Sentra is much bigger inside than the Civic or Corolla, and is in fact the roomiest car in its class except (by a very small margin) for the Elantra.

The gas struts on the trunk are a nice feature to maximize usable trunk room--very unusual in this class.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is the Sentra classified Midsize for interior room as the Elantra is?
    By the EPA "size classes", it is--as is the Versa!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byEPAclass.htm

By the EPA's "market classes", which supposedly groups cars from the "buyer's perspective", the Sentra and Versa are in the "small car" class while the Elantra is in the "family sedan" class. And the top-ranked "family sedan" in EPA fuel economy is... a hatchback (Prius). Go figure. :confuse:
    It looks like the leather seats don't have heaters. I don't see that function listed anywhere and I didn't even know they still made unheated leather seats in modern cars.
  • vikariousvikarious Member Posts: 15
    And the seats are manual!
    I test drove a loaded Sentra SL yesterday and was really surprised about that.

I was going to go with an SL, but living in MN I can't have leather seats with no warmers! I'll freeze my butt off!

I haven't read all messages, but did anyone else think the engine was really noisey??
    Power seats are very rare in this class. The only cars that have them are I think the Jetta/Rabbit.

I have a car with leather seats and no warmers. I didn't want leather in the car because I thought it would be too cold in winter and too hot in summer. But they came standard on the car. I've found that it's not as bad, winter or summer, as I thought. In winter, body heat warms them up quickly. Maybe you can go for a test drive in a SL on a cold day and see what you think.

I thought the engine was pretty quiet when cruising on the MT Sentra 2.0S I drove. There was some noise when moving up through the gears, but it sounded kind of sporty so I didn't mind. Remember it's a 4-cylinder economy car.
This discussion has been closed.