Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2007

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    USA Today Sentra 07

My opinion is

Engine and Transmissions - Thumbs up for NVH and power. Fuel economy could be better.

Interior - Thumbs down. Use of space and amount of space is much better than the 06 Sentra. My major complaint is the steering wheel (center portion of the wheel is too bulky) and the styling of the dash, particularly the radio and too darn many buttons.

Exterior styling- It is OK, not great and not bad, the styling fits in with the other current Nissans

Overall- Sentra is priced too high when you consider added equipment such as ABS which is optional on Sentra and standard on Civic. Also the trim levels and options need to be re-aligned. Requiring the SL and with leather to obtain a sunroof is a mistake.

Will be interesting to see how the SE-R and SE-R Spec V are priced when they are officially introduced at the end of November.

Spec V is expected to have 2.5L with 200 hp, 6 speed manual trans., limited slip, and once again brembo brakes and 17" wheels.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The had one SL with the orange leather seats and I confirmed that seat heaters are not standard and they aren't available as an option either, so I didn't bother to test drive it. The orange leather seats looked out of place as if they belonged in a different car especially since there was no color matching with any other part of the grey interior.

Since the S seems to have available as an option about every feature the SL has available other than leather or moonroof, I test drove the S instead.

After reading the reviews, I was expecting and ready for it to be super quiet.
    It was kind of quiet. Idle is extremely quiet, but as soon as you step on the gas, you hear the buzzy engine. Once at cruising speed it is not shockingly quiet as reviews expect you to believe. It was at least as quiet as any other little 4 cylinder sedan. Maybe slightly quieter.
    It drove well enough and has some features Civic and other competitors don't have like the Bluetooth, keyless entry and keyless start. The rear seat folds flat and the optional Rockford Fosgate stereo is nicer than what you can get on a Civic EX sedan or Corolla.
    I then test drove a Civic and still preferred the way the Honda drove, but the Sentra is at least in competitive range with cars like the Civic now. Some people might prefer the Sentra especially if the optional Sentra features not available on Civic are important to them.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Member Posts: 248
    coming March 2007!!! details now on nissanusa.com

Hope it handles as well as it looks. May have to look into one as a more economical commuter.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national news magazine is hoping to talk with consumers who have just downsized their vehicle from a SUV (preferably large) to a small, compact car. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 4, 2006 with your daytime contact info.
  • pekkelpekkel Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to check if this was a good price...2.0s with abs/alloy, audio, conv+ and splashguards for 17920 + TTL.

Thank You Much...
  • alt2006alt2006 Member Posts: 6
    It is well below invoice. looks a good deal to me.

Cheers
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pekkel, you might want to have a look at what folks are saying in the Sentra Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • nordiconenordicone Member Posts: 4
    Nissan kept us waiting 7 years for this? I thought the new Sentra would at least surpass the Mazda3 in quality, handling,price and available features. Having spent time with both, the Mazda3 is clearly still the better car. My only major gripe with the Mazda was the sunvisor thats too small and unable to adjust..and why isn't Nissan offering a GPS as an option..both the Civic and Mazda3 do.

The interior is not bad, but the radio and bluetooth display is completely useless in sunlight, the unnecesarily large dash-mounted shifter is a huge distraction and hides the HVAC controls.
  • metallicatmetallicat Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 2.0S for almost two weeks now, and of all the complaints that I keep hearing about it, I am thoroughly satisfied. This is my first ever brand new car, so I have nothing to compare it to, but there is certainly nothing overly BAD about the car. I like the exterior styling, I like the gear shifter, I like the engine noises...I like virtually everything about it.

Keep in mind my last car was a 1991 Suzuki Sidekick.
  • metallicatmetallicat Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone,

I have recently noticed moisture gathering in the right hand side tailight. I don't know much about the makeup of the vehicle, but the tailight seems to have at least two layers of glass, and the moisture seems to be on the top layer. Do you think this is going to pose a problem?

Other than that, I am extremely happy with my new car purchase. If you happen to live in Edmonton and want a Sentra, send me a message and I'll give you my recommendation regarding a dealership and a salesmen.
    Needs a new seal. Take it to dealer and have it repaired.
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    Do try this at home - but have your spare key available in case it does not work. I saw this in the manual and tried it.

Open the trunk, toss in your intelligent key, close the trunk. The car will start beeping furiously and then the trunk pops open like magic. It's like the car rejects the key as if its a foreign body. :P

I always used to worry about leaving my keys in the trunk but not with this car. :shades:
  • indiaj0nesindiaj0nes Member Posts: 2
    I got 2.0s with abs/alloy, audio, conv+ and splashguards for 16500 + TTL
  • indiaj0nesindiaj0nes Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have issues with the dash noise on the Sentra?
    Welcome to CarSpace! :)
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I just got back from the Toronto Int'l Auto Show recently. The '07 Nissan Sentra there comes with heated power outside mirrors. This is on the S and SL models, standard. On the standard 2.0 model, the outside mirrors remain unheated...like the USA. But here in the US, you can't get the power heated mirrors on ANY trim level. What's with that? Living in western NY, our climate is very similar to Canada. I live 100 minutes away from the border. Can anyone, including a Nissan rep explain why we aren't getting this feature?
    And, are there any plans to make it availability as part of a special edition? Or, do I have to wait until 2008 or 2009 to get one with them?
    I looked for this too after finding a note early in the manual referencing "heated mirrors (if so equipped)". Later in the manual it stated that the heated mirrors are for Canada only. I'm kind of bummed about that.
    I see that messages going back to November 2006 fit on one page.
    Everyone must still be buying Civics and Corollas.
    Carsdirect already shows loaded Sentras S models selling for $2K under MSRP in my zip code (approx $20K MSRP selling for about $18K). Unusual for the first year of a new model and even with high gas prices that attract people to economy cars.
  • webaggiewebaggie Member Posts: 5
    Hi - I'm looking at the Sentra 2.0S. On Carsdirect.com, how did you see the $2K under invoice figure. Did you enter your new car features and ask for a quote? I'm not that familiar with that website. Also, what area are you located. I'm in the Houston area and want to buy one hopefully this week. My dealer offered me invoice price without any haggling last week before the $500 rebate came out. I told him I'd seen a couple of deals online at $1450 under invoice, but he said there was just no way. Thanks.
  • webaggiewebaggie Member Posts: 5
    Oh - after re-reading your post, you said $2K under MSRP. Sorry, I was thinking dealer invoice, duh. So, that would mean basically they were showing dealer invoice less the $500 current rebate to get to the $2K off MSRP.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not hard to figure out why. The regular Sentras are not getting very good reviews from the automotive press, they are priced at the high end of the compact car spectrum (i.e. close to Civics vs. Elantras), and they have love-hate looks (which means a certain segment of the car-buying public won't buy it just because of looks). Toss in the competition the Sentra gets from Nissan's own Versa, and I think it's a tough row to hoe for the Sentra. Maybe the Spec V will enliven interest in the Sentra.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    The Versa is surely stealing Sentra sales. And the new Versa sedan will steal even more.

I don't think the Sentra is selling in the numbers Nissan hoped. But I'm also hearing complaints on how expensive the Civic is.

I do know this: here in MA, it's impossible to find a Fit and the Versa is in short supply. People are going "micro", it seems. Plus, a loaded Elantra is at least $2000 less than the Civic (or Sentra).
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    It isn't just a sentra problem. as you said, the sub compacts are stealing sales from the compacts. Just as sentra sales are down, the civic is down 15% from last year.
    I suspect mid-sized cars are stealing sales from compacts also. Some mid-sizers don't cost much more, if any, than a Sentra.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    really? you have proof of this? if anything the civic is selling a lot better than it ever has! especially since this conversations is about sub compacts stealing sales, and that means in honda's case; the fit. Which is so hard to find that it would be impossible to sell more of them than civics!
    link title

and there is your proof, but i'll highlight for you

Civic * 29,721 28,969 -1.1% 68,140 78,479 -15.4%
    Memo: Civic
    Hybrid 2,813 2,232 21.5% 6,520 7,177 -11.5%

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm by no means bashing honda, just pointing out a trend. I think there are several factors with the civic,
    1. it was redesigned in 2006, so it went up in price and the discounts dissappeared
    2. the accord will be redesigned for 2008, and is being heavily discounted and taking sales
    3. Its loosing sales to both the prius and fit.

at any rate, it's still in the top 5 for car sales.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter would like to talk with a consumer who owns a four-cylinder Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima or Nissan Sentra but had also shopped for a Prius or another hybrid before deciding on their current purchase. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than May 3, 2007 with your daytime contact information and what car you own.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I've also discovered that Canadian Sentras also have ABS and EBD as STANDARD equipment on the S and SL models, and available as part of a package on the 2.0 base model. Another difference is that the push button start is not available, but only key operated. That's not a negative, for some of us.
    The supplied AM-FM radio and CD player is NOT MP3 compatible, unlike some other car brands. To get the MP3 you must upgrade to the Rockford-Fosgate Audio System.
    Makes me wonder why I can get these missing features on a Ford Focus right now.
  • coil_ninecoil_nine Member Posts: 2
    Which would you choose, a SentraSL or VersaSL sedan? We are torn. (I'll cross-post to the Versa forum)

Here in western MA we travel significant distances. Not like AZ, but pretty good.

The SentraSL and VersaSL both have the interior stuff we want, like cruise control.

VersaSL
    The VersaSL has way significantly better rear legroom (we are tall). It ALWAYS comes with a stupid "option" sound and bluetooth package. Who cares about 6 CDs when we use an ipod? Lame.

SentraSL
    The SentraSL 2.0 has a bit more power for the distance and probably does not work as hard. Would it be better in the winter weather crud? Is the actual MPG equivalent?
    I have a Sentra SL.
    Pluses: Mileage has been good (averaging about 30 on mostly highway driving) and it is very quiet and refined at high speeds. The CVT is great on the highway.
    Minuses: Door panels scratch very easily, seats are a bit low and that can be uncomforatble on a long trip. The CVT can be a bit jerky at low speeds, such as pulling out of a side street.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I just got a Sentra S, CVT and Luxury package. On the short city test drive I got 33 MPG and that is with a brand new car.
    I am hoping for 35 MPG average.

Time will tell. I will report back.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi all...

Anyone know of a website with the latest 4-1-1 on the '08 versions of the Sentra?

I'm eager to find out what Nissan has in store for the U.S. models, such as improvements and new features (if any).

Please inform...

Many thanx!

Peace<- :shades: --
    No information that I am aware of yet. However, Nissan USA (the importer and distributor) could take a few cues from Nissan Canada. For example, make the ABS avbl across all trim levels, as a stand alone option. In Canada, they come standard. The addition of heatable outside mirrors on the upper two trim levels are standard there as well. Why not here as well? The addition of MP3 as standard on the existing radio would also be welcome. Without having to go for the pricey Fosgate upgrade. And last, but not least, upgrade their bumper to bumper warranty to 5 years/60,000 miles. Why, this is already done on the Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 model. And, folding outside mirrors. In fact, the Lancer has all those features, except for the heated mirrors. I'm not holding my breath that Nissan USA will implement some or all of these changes they should make. But then again, I don't have to compromise...there are other choices out there in this price category. Nissan USA are you listening? Will you adopt some of the features already offered by Nissan Canada for their market?
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi, ike3...

These are exactly the "improvements" that I spoke of in my original entry here. I've been to the Canadian Nissan website and I know what you're saying. Add to that list electronic stability/traction control and that's a pretty good list for Nissan to pick up on. The question is will they? Hmmmmmmmmm...the jury's out on that one! ;)
    What you say about there being other choices in this class is on the beam, so to speak. Time will tell. I'm still curious as to what direction Nissan will take the Sentra for '08. We'll see...

Peace!<- :shades: --
    Aladdinsane, I don't see ESC/traction control offered on the Canadian Nissan site. Not that they couldn't offer it. After all, ABS is pretty much standard fare on their Sentra models.
    It would seem to me that Nissan will be a laggard when it comes to these additional features. These features all cost more money. The vehicle is already priced high, unless it is the base 2.0 model.
    Perhaps the only small car available right now that has these features are the VW Rabbit and Jetta. But fuel efficiency on their vehicles is much lower, and that's one tradeoff with them. However, they have a generous bumper to bumper 4yr/50k mile warranty. Something to think about.
    As you said, we will have to wait. Perhaps by July or August, some info might leak out by then as to what Nissan intends on doing to enhance the Sentra. And that's not an unusual thing to do. Many wait until the 2nd or 3rd year of the model run to add enhancements or features found in other markets. Nissan needs to do something more than what they currently have.
    The Corolla also offers ESC (aka VSC), but it's a pretty rare option. The Mazda3 offers it also, and it's on the Civic Si I think. Nissan is not exactly a leader in offering ESC or even ABS on their cars; ABS is optional even on the Altima.

I don't expect much new on the '08 Sentra since it was a complete redesign for '07. Maybe some new colors, little tweaks, changes in packages.

Since I expect Nissan sees Toyota and Honda as their main competitors (and not Mitsu and Hyundai/Kia), and Toyota/Honda have only 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranties, I don't see Nissan making any change there. Unless they see Hyundai/Kia looming up from behind them on the sales charts?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    One thing I'd like to see Nissan offer with the Rockford Fosgate stereo on the Sentra is a true Apple iPod data connector so you can control your iPod directly from the car stereo controls. This has additional benefits of true line level output from the iPod for better sound quality and also the ability to recharge the iPod.
  • dwilliedwillie Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 Nissan Sentras, a 1997 and a 2002. Other than routine maintenance, I have 2 minor repairs. And one of those was on a recall. I am planning on buying a new car this fall, but this time it will not be a Sentra.

I had planned on buying a Sentra, but I do not want a CVT. Perhaps I am not conversant with this transmission, but I do not want one. As I am not a mechanic, I can not offer any sage opinions on the durability of the CVT. But I can offer my opinion as a consumer. I do not believe the CVT will be accepted readily by the consumer,Nor do I believe that the CVT transmission will hold up any where near as well as the conventional automatic transmission. I live in a large metropolitan area, and I have noticed one surprising fact. While I see many 2006 Sentras (I really like the 06), I have only seen one 2007. I thought this was remarkable, until I went online to "build my Sentra." Then I understood; the only automatic transmission available is the CVT. Now I understand why I have only seen one 2007 Sentra. What a shame; as great as the Sentra has looked in the last few years, the 2007 is even better. But I will not buy one, not with a CVT. Perhaps the fact that so few are selling in my area is a coincidence. Then again, maybe it is time for Nissan to either junk the CVT or else give the consumer a choice of automatics. I wish Nissan would; I would be "building my Sentra" online instead of whining in this message!
    If you don't want a CVT try the Versa S with the conventional automatic. As for me, I have a 2007 Sentra 2.0SL with CVT. It's not perfect. Moderating your acceleration at slower speeds sometimes causes the dreaded CVT rubberband effect. But once you are up to speed it is smoother than any automatic out there. I go back and forth between the Sentra with CVT and a Focus with a 4-speed automatic. There is no question you have to drive them differently. With the auto you have to put your foot into it to get it going and then back off once it downshifts. With the CVT you have to just hold your pedal position and give the engine a chance to get up to speed. I would think if the CVT is your one and only daily driver you would get to the point of not even noticing it. Oh, and I do see lots of 2007 Sentras on the road.
    The cvt has already been proven to hold up, better in fact, than traditional automatics. they've been used in the murano since it came out. as for the sales, the sentra started off slow (more likely because of the 2006 engine problems) but has been posting double digit growth the last couple months. last month it was a 24% increas over may '06.

the bueaty (and reliability) of the CVT is in its simplicity. It uses a special belt and two pullys to replace god knows how many gears and other moving parts in a standard automatic transmission. The cvt's that nissan uses aren't just some ill concieved gimmick. they spent a lot of time, and a boat load of money perfecting them. Far from dropping them, expect to see other manufactures start offering them. I know saturn and ford are putting them in some vehicles now, and most hybrid cars use some type of CVT.
  • d1699d1699 Member Posts: 3
    I bought the last 07 2.0S Sentra on the dealers lot before the rebate expired...unfortunately it wasn't equiped with the convenience package that included cruise. The service mgr didn't recommend aftermarket...and Nissan didn't make one available...so...has anyone had an aftermarket cruise installed...is it working okay and what brand?
    It sucks not having one available from Nissan and backed by them but it would be nice to have one on the car.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    thanks
    Nissan Sentras are not so rare of a car that you are forced to buy one that doesn't have the equipment you want on it. You should have shopped around until you found one with the convenience package or bought some other car. Even if the rebate expired, another rebate would come around again soon.

You are going to have to just live without having cruise control until you can get rid of the car.
    Well, the trim and equipment levels for 2007 were in need of shuffling and Nissan has come to it's senses and shuffled. It was almost comical watching the scene playout in the midwest winters with the std. leather seats and no available seat heaters on the Sentra SL. Unfortunately, the comedy continues, however, at least the sunroof can be obtained on the S model now.

xxxxxx
    2008 Nissan Sentra and Sentra SE-R

The new, sixth generation Sentra, which debuted in 2007, offers more style, space, quality, performance and interior flexibility for active lifestyles than any previous Sentra. For 2008, Sentra adds a number of significant enhancements, including additional standard equipment and package content changes for various models.

Inside Sentra&#146;s spacious cabin are thoughtful and useful features, including a 60/40 split double-fold rear seat, available hidden trunk storage compartment and available integrated overhead compact disc holder. The 2008 Sentra is also available with a range of unexpected amenities &#150; ranging from the luxury of leather-appointed seating to the convenience of Nissan&#146;s Intelligent Key keyless entry system.

The 2008 Sentra is again built on Nissan&#146;s &#147;C&#148; platform and offers a standard 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine, standard 6-speed manual transmission or available fuel-efficient Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and responsive handling.

The new Sentra SE-R, also launched in 2007, is offered in Sentra SE-R and Sentra SE-R Spec V models &#150; both featuring sporty styling, enhanced performance, sporty styling and additional standard equipment versus non-SE-R models.

The 2008 Sentra SE-R features Nissan&#146;s refined QR25DE 4-cylinder engine rated at 177 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque (on regular unleaded fuel), matched with an Xtronic CVT&#153; (Continuously Variable Transmission) with paddle shifters for smooth, sporty performance. The 6-speed manual-equipped Sentra SE-R Spec V features a high-output version of the QR25DE engine, with top end engine modifications that help it achieve 200 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque. Contributing to the Spec V&#146;s outstanding performance is unique suspension tuning, larger diameter brakes and an optional Helical Limited Slip Differential.

Inside the cockpit of both Sentra SE-R models are a number of unique styling features, including sport bucket front seats with red seat stitching and embroidered SE-R seatback logos, aluminum foot pedal pads, leather-appointed steering wheel and an additional two-gauge meter pack featuring oil pressure and acceleration/deceleration g-force gauges.

Enhancements to the 2008 Sentra and Sentra SE-R include:
    - Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) standard on 2.0 S models
    - Cruise control standard on 2.0 S models
    - Moonroof Package now available on 2.0 S models
    - New charcoal interior on 2.0 S models
    - Driver-side power window with one-touch auto up/down and safety reverse feature
    - XM Satellite Radio standard on 2.0 SL models (required monthly subscription sold separately)
    - Vehicle Security System standard on 2.0 S models
    - Driver front seatback map pocket (2.0 S)
    - Spanish interface programming for trip computer
    - Standard daytime illumination (2.0, 2.0 S and 2.0 SL models)
    - Folding assist grips replace fixed assist grips
    - Standard driving/fog lights with body-color surrounds on 2.0 S and 2.0 SL models
    - Sentra 2.0 with 6MT has been discontinued
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The 2.0 S is now a very well-equipped small car. I wonder what the MSRP will be, given all the added equipment?
    thanks jaxs1....I was looking for some advice...not some tool telling me how stupid I am. You're the exact reason why I don't bother with forums...too many people with nothing better to do than dispense useless jibberish!
    Unfortunately, after-the-fact advice about what he "should" have done isn't very helpful. He's asking if cruise control can be installed aftermarket. Do you know, or does anyone else know?

Let's skip the lectures. :)
    You may have a Rostra aftermarket cruise installed on your Sentra. I recommend having a independent shop that specializes in automotive electronics install the cruise control.
    The Nissan dealer service dept. will have little if any experience installing this unit.
    If you live in a fairly populous area you should not have a problem finding an installer for Rostra cruise control. They are commonly installed on entry level Toyota, Hyundai, Chevrolet and Scion vehicles that are not equipped with factory cruise.

2007 NISSAN SENTRA

CRUISE CONTROL
    250-1223

Control Lever: 250-3742
    Adapter: 250-4378 / TECH INFO
    VEHICLE NOTES: ALL WIRING AND INSTALLATION INFOMATION IS PROVIDED IN 250-4378 ADAPTER PACKAGE
    Thanks Moparbad...I did find a local installer who's had experience with these and came highly recommended...and I do believe it's a Rostra unit.
    Thanks again!!
    Let us know how it turns out!
This discussion has been closed.