Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Thank you, scooter. Funny how Domestic cars always "grow" each time they are revised, until they're too big, then they are replaced by a smaller one....
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,423
    The same tends to happen with foreign cars. The Civic is now the size the Accord used to be, so now there is room here for the Fit. The Sentra is much bigger now, so the Versa appears. Next year's Mercedes C Class will actually have more room than the current E Class, and it will no longer be a "C class" car. The Camry is bigger than it used to be years ago.

Ford has had B class cars here before: the Fiesta, the Festiva and the forgettable Aspire come to mind. There is an A class too, but those are marketed in Europe and Asia, not here.

And then there is the Smart car, which is even smaller than A class...but that is coming here in 2008 (and the second generation Smart has grown over 7" in length).
    And then there is the Smart car, which is even smaller than A class...but that is coming here in 2008 (and the second generation Smart has grown over 7" in length).

Hey! I saw one here on the road in Vegas~! My wife said, "What the hell is that?" Fortunately, I knew. But didn't think they'd be marketing it here.....
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,741
    I meant that the dealers are forced to sell the Focus to people wanting an inexpensive car because it's the least expensive thing on the lot. So they order a lot of stripped models and do a lot of cost cutting. If they had a lower priced B car (I don't think it should be "cheap" - it should compete with the Fit, Versa, etc.) then they could stop selling the Focus as a stripped model/lost leader and compete on features.
  • But why Mazda does not do the same thing?

I understand what you are saying. America is not a Europe. But why then Focus is not doing so well?
  • "But why then Focus is not doing so well? "

Because it's basically unchanged since it's introduction 7 years ago and is the most oudtdated car available in it's class.
    Sound Familiar?
  • <<Sound Familiar?>>

Yes, I own Sable, and Focus too. But still Focus is an impressive car, if they could make higher quality interior it would be a bestseller, just because it is a Ford. I do not understand decisions made by Ford management. 20 years ago they knew the rules of game, I cannot get how Ford can get lost when they knew what to do 20 years ago and it was a huge success. Like &#150; oh we won &#150; now let&#146;s do the exactly opposite and screw it because otherwise we will be like Toyota &#150; too consistent.
    I cannot get how Ford can get lost when they knew what to do 20 years ago and it was a huge success.

Because the people running Ford back then are gone. Blame Trotman and Nasser for where Ford is today.
    Because the people running Ford back then are gone. Blame Trotman and Nasser for where Ford is today.

Yes, and Bill Jr., who hasn't done a consistent or well thought out thing since he took over either. He's all over the place, we're gonna be green, but we're gonna be bold, but we're gonna be conservative too....

Where have all the Peterson's and Caldwells gone??
    At least Bill had the guts to step aside and bring in Fields and Mulally. I think the focus on emissions and ULEV/PZEV status hurt fuel economy and didn't help because nobody seems to care that some Explorers have fewer emissions than some hybrids. I hope they're over it.
    nobody seems to care that some Explorers have fewer emissions than some hybrids.

You know, the other thing that burns my butt, akirby, is that Suburbans, both Chevy and GMC had been around, polluting the earth and killing wildlife, not to mention your kids, since, oh, 68 or so? But it was no big deal until Ford brought its Expedition - and suddenly, Ford was evil for pillaging villages and bringing out an Urban Assault Vehicle! GM always got a pass for their Tahoe and Suburbans, which by the way, came in both half and 3/4 ton versions, the latter which is equivalent to the Excursion, which again, started a firestorm of hatred toward Ford. Nothing though, about all those old 3/4 ton Suburbans out there which polluted far more than the new Excursion did.

The Hummer H2 is actually wider than any of them, and gets worse gas mileage as well - yet, GM is of no consequence, but Ford is single handedly responsible for the extinction of the Unicorn....

What goes?
  • I did not know that Unicorn even existed LOL. But seriously - enviromentalists are mentally challenged people so do expect anything logical from them. It is kind of religion that defies any logic.

But I do not undestand from thread title how someone was able to sit in the car that does not yet exist (I mean MKS).
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Suburbans, both Chevy and GMC had been around, polluting the earth and killing wildlife, not to mention your kids, since, oh, 68 or so?

My Chevrolet history book shows the Suburban was introduced in 1935.
    My Chevrolet history book shows the Suburban was introduced in 1935.

Thanks for noticing, but we all know it was nothing like the machine of today, and they didn't get popular with the populace until the late 60's....
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Lincoln MKS forums on the net ? I can't believe some of the crap some people have came up with like a Supercharged 3.5 V-6. :surprise:

Rocky
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Are you crazy?! Dude! YOure like a parnent protecting your child from other kids on the playground "Oh my Jimmy can do that too!" This MKS is nothing compared to the STS! The STS has bold good looking style. No one will want the M! It looks 5 years old- and it's not even out yet. And there's no way it will perform like the Caddy. That cheap wannabe Lexus crap is NOT SEXY. You think the MKZ is better than the CTS? The MKZ is nothing compared to the Caddy! It looks not nearly as good, and probably doesn't perform as well- as the new 3.5 is about as tuned as it will be in the Fusion, whereas CTS is actually sport tuned. THe MKZ should be a MErcury- not a lincoln! You wanna go here then lets go! Lincoln Vs Caddy. I once loved lincoln more than Caddy. i liked NAvigator more than Escalade. But then Caddy woke up and started competing- the entire brand! Now Slade looks great and NAvi looks like CRAP! DOes Lincoln have anything to compete with the XLR? didn't think so! Caddilac is not scare of Lincoln. Their laughing. And just when Lincoln was about to re-estblish a name for itself...
    The MKZ, looks alot better than the current CTS. The MKS, looks alot better than the currents STS. If the MKS, can under cut the STS, by $10G's and offer more gadgets than the STS, the STS is in big trouble. If GM, wouldn't of over-priced the STS by $7 or 8K I'd probably be driving another Caddy by now. $66K for a AWD V8 STS is crazy. $63K for RWD V8 is also nuts. The STS, use to be a car that could be boughten by middle class americans making $50-60k a yr. if they didn't have alot of other toys. I'm not doubting the next CTS, to be better than the MKZ, but by how much and what price tag ? I know I sound like I'm bashing cadillac, but GM, actually is my favorite car company in the world and Cadillac is my favorite brand. I think GM, priced their cars way to high on the Cadillac side. They will have to offer incentives if they plan on moving those STS's. With all the cost cutting done at the factory's and out-sourcing of parts (Won't go into details) one would assume they would still be able to keep a Cadillac STS with V8 power and AWD well under $60K. Many products GM, has overhualed have came out light years better and the sticker prices dropped on em'. Perhaps the next STS, will be even better and the MSRP's will drop $5 or $6K. I could see a fully loaded AWD Cadillac STS V8 being $59K the RWD V8 $57K but $66K AWD and $63K RWD now is a bit much. My 2002' Cadillac Seville STS had everything but Navigation and was $54K MSRP.

Just my gripe is all. I still might buy one someday. I will probably get a CTS-V instead of a STS.

Rocky
    CTS looks waayyy better than MKZ. i like it though because lincoln hasn't done anything in a long while. It looks good, but I wouln't think it competes with BmW 3. Same with MKS, not a BMW 5 competitor. that's why it's priced so low and Caddy isn't. But we know no one is paying more than 55 grand for a loaded STS. And the MKS looks a little outdated. But like i said before, Lincoln hasn't done anything for a while (though Im not sure I like this better than LS) Lincoln might make a comeback in 5 years. We'll see.
    Exactly my point, for some time now. There's nothing wrong with the MKS styling per se. But it is dated...and it is not even out yet. If you look at what was presented at the Paris show and what is coming up at the auto shows in the next couple months, it is obvious that by the time the MKS arrives (2008 at the earliest), it will be old news with unremarkable lines. Not much Lincoln can do about that now...and all is not lost. At least some people will like its conservative style.
    Yup, like myself ;)

Rocky
    Dated styling's been a long time point of mine,too. Just wondering- how many would go for 300 over mks, styling wise? I'm a fan of this because Chrysler, too was in a situation similar to this. And they did something revolutionary(except interior). But like I've said before, 1car can't save a company. it kills me wen magazines say "why MKX can't save lincoln(MT)." THat hasn't been how it is for a while.
    And remember, Chrysler will have a new 300 out about the time the MKS hits the road. They could up the bar on revolutionary styling again, and reinvigorate 300 sales. Or not. They certainly seemed to have missed their opportunity with the new Sebring styling (blah). Will be interesting to see what they do with the new 300.
    Good point with the neew 300. they coould also beef up interior as sebring's is awesome-maybe even to compare with MKS. What Chrysler messed up with the 'bring was that it's also an old style! Looks like old 300m. They shouould have gone for more Crossfire approach. Chrylser must be done with 300C styling as it's seen nowhere else on their line up. the sebring should look like a sportier smaller version of it. And the pacifica should look like a tall wagon version. But I've proved my old styling point with the MKs. Didn't work with succesful Chrysler brand- and it won't work here.
    Know there is a separate forum for this, but this best posted here.
    THere taking lincoln where ever they can! Right now they don't feel they are on steady enough ground to take a bold punch. Hence this MKS. Lately I've been talking a lot about 300 but I know not everyone can have such luck as they did. But still, Either you give your all, or don't give at all. Don't sit on the fence if you want to protect this historic brand!
    they need a similar type hit that they can sell the hell out of soon.
    And they would have had it 3 years ago, if they had brought the 2002 Continental concept to market. But then think also how much further ehead Ford would be if they had simply re-skinned the Crown Vic to look like the 427 concept (both of these would have out-300ed the 300). And both could have been done on the old Panther platform that is still soldering on and dying of neglect.

Then if Ford had brought the NaviCross to market for Lincoln, and made the Forty Nine concept into the new Thunderbird (the back seat alone would have saved the T-bird in the marketplace)....well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

If this company had any conception of what their periodic successes were built on, we would not have seen them use the same bodies for more than a decade, e.g., the Ranger from 1993 to the present (the platform actually goes back to 1984), the Mustang from 1979 to 1994, the current Crown Vic/GM dating from 1991, etc. etc.

I do hope there is a new MKZ planned for 2010 at the latest and that they are already at work on the next versions of the MKS and MKX. But I wouldn't count on it.
  • Wow, did anyone see after getting a very slow start, Ford Five Hundred sales were down 53% last month?

Note to MKS "designers":-That's what blah styling gets you.

Bold Moves, huh?
    Ford was "trippin'" so to speak with this one. No one liked this-Ford new that-and yet here come the head of Ford saying "THe 300 looks nice. The 500 looks just as good, and will probably sell better." Must I continue? And like you guys said, they could have reskinned Crown Vic as a 427 (with power, please!) and brought Continental concept and had a hit. I don't think they looked Quite as good as 300, but my oppinion. Ford was stupid then, and now-though they've learned from mistakes (must I dropnames-cough Aviator) they're still a little block headed and stubborn.
    What happened to lincoln/mercury freestyle? Unlike ford, this concept looked NICE!