Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Camaro Concept

2»

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Your local tire store will love those wagon wheels ;)
    I see no need for anything more than 16" wheels, though
    the 17" wheels may be needed for even larger brakes, if
    the car is indeed heavy. 16 or 17 fine, but come on what is
    with all these 18 to 20" wheels? Weight, unsprung weight
    is the enemy here. The car itself should be around 2800#,
    though anything up to 3200# would be awesome with a good sized six. GM should keep the most HP in the Corvette. Those willing to pay the big bucks, should have the top engine HP. A V8 of 305HP would be quick in a lighter car. Handling would be more agile than a Stang. Simple power is only good in a straight line. That is easily beaten the next year by the competition. Pretty easy to just keep adding raw power. Proper suspensions, steering feel, and weight would make the Camaro the true winner over the Stang and Challenger.
    -Loren
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    The Holdon news is sad - these same Aussies ruined the GTO :cry:
    Holden Monaro is not a bad car. Pontiac GTO, it may not be, but I would not blame the Australia division for that. Looks like they make several nice models of cars there. If a car is going to have GTO or Camaro on the name fixed on the body, then it should be American. Time to make a new chassis for a Nova and Camaro compact and a Malibu ( or Monte ) and Impala larger, what they use to call mid-sized car. The largest cars should be the Buick or Caddy. Maybe a Buick or Chevy in a mid-size FWD for all those in snow country. But most of the line should go RWD.

The Nova / Camaro class could replace the Cobalt. There are more than enough little FWD cars out there.
    -Loren
  • karrkarr Member Posts: 1
    There is a big reason the new camaro may not do so well. They need to take lessons from dodge and ford, people want the 67-69 muscle car look and will buy. The concept is not close enough to attract these buyers, I and about 15 of my buddies were super excited until we saw the pics. I think i'll go the chrysler or ford route instead.When I see chevys concept it's not even close to what the 40-55 year old buyer bracket want, GET IT RIGHT OR IT WILL FLOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well I must disagree here. I am over 50 and pretty much like the look of the New Camaro, although it could lose some weight. By that I mean too large of wheels, and too wide, with the all too common too tall doors. But the look IS the original of '67 as far as more basic lines.

I personally think the New Mustang is too close to being a replicar, as is the Challenger. Keep the original as a collectors car and one to be admired at shows and in museums. But an old one to drive and keep up to preserve the wonderful old car. All those Pony cars were really great looking, with an exception of the first Barracudas, which would be debatable.

And while I disagree with which is better, I must say the Challenger - all 79" wide of it, and the current New Mustang are great if ya like'em.

And I may add, by the time Camaro comes out, the New Stang will look much more modern. They should match up well. With high gasoline cost, a modern car, with some aluminum to lower weight and a smaller size overall, with a V6 would be the ticket, IMHO. I lived the era, and must say only a few of the guys had fire breathing cars. Too expensive over all. And not many new cars. It was a different time. Perhaps now, once the Babyboomers have a couple of extra dollars, they can pretend they were one of the few with the big bucks, all so many a year ago. The closest I came was a '65 Mustang 289V8 bought used in say '70. The next car was an Opel Manta Rallye. Inflation was everywhere and gas prices were on the rise. Most popular as I recall was a Z car. Everyone after wanted a Z car in the early to mid-70's. Well, a Z28 Camaro was pretty nice too!!!
    -Loren
  • dkaplan435dkaplan435 Member Posts: 23
    I took some photos of the Camaro convertible concept.

Here they are:

http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/chicago2007/Chevy/Camaro/

Just click the photo of the car to move to the next one. I think about 30 photos or so...

The car is hot, and the paint job... forget about it, incredible.

The Chevy Volt looks like the Camaro, here are some snaps:

http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/chicago2007/Chevy/Volt/

Dave
    Thanks for photos. Both look interesting in a sort of new era way. Too each his or her own, but sleek, low and lean is keen to me. Looks like the New Camaro will be what a Chrysler 300 would have been had it been a sporty coupe.
    All new concept cars must be designed by people from Michelin or other tire companies. ;)

Both cars look kinda mean and well modern and should sell well. With some tweaking, still think the Solstice Coupe could have also been a Camaro or Firebird. As for gas mileage, I can only assume they will have to lighten the New Camaro with aluminum and/or plastics, and some smaller alloy wheels. Aren't we close to new gasoline standards, and now have $3.40 a gallon gas. What happens in a couple of years? While it is good to see the name back, I hope that the engine, transmission and weight allow the car to be around over some years to come once introduced. Looks like a car some people are gonna really like.
  • mjt7712mjt7712 Member Posts: 1
    I disagree with what you say Karr. The new Camaro does have the flair of the 67-69. Of course it is not an exact match, but why should it? It has an obvious likeness with a new modern look attached. The fact that they put gauges on the console shows an effort was made to keep it a camaro similar to the first generation inside and out. I believe the Camaro will sell strong if it is the same as the concept look and what is says it will have power wise. If you want a 69 Camaro, then buy that. For 30K you can get a nice one or reportedly a new 2009 Camaro with the bells and whistles for the same. And not to burst your bubble but I dont think GM is going for the 40-55 year old bracket as much as the 27-35 year olds as has been reported. This is a chance for a new generation who missed out on riding in the 67-69 years and just saw them under a tarp or at a show. I cant wait to get one of my own. I think in 40 years I'll be talking about my 2009 Camaro the way that you may be now. It is going to be a younger generation that determines whether its a flop or not and for now...they love it.
    So what about the last gen. Camaro? Was it not a really fine looking auto? Thought about buying a Z28 or even the 3.8 which is not too bad at 200HP, as a second car. Wish I had a three car garage. If I don't end up with another Miata or other smaller sports car, I am thinking Pony car or a Vette may make a nice second car for sporting around in. That said, most older sports cars are really not going to best the handling and overall performance of my Accord V6. But for looks, and that feel of being closer to the ground - sensation of speed, sports cars rule.

While the door sill height is always going to be a bit higher in a sports car, other than Miatas, I am thinking just from the photos that the New Camaro is overdoing the chop top theme, and will look blocky. It is like there becomes too much nearly flat surface area on the sides of these new cars, with the smallish windows and lower top, it has that look to it more like it was a chop-top Mercury. A Pony car to me should allow for an occasional elbow out, as slow cruising along the shore line just feels - well is better that way. I realize today most people drive with windows up and air on, as I really do most of the time. But by gosh, a Pony car, like a sports car should have its traditional cruising too. If they insist of high doors, then how about a angle cut, like the Celica and a Corvette has to take some of the bulk away, give you some view of the asphalt racing by, and maybe even get an elbow out, if lucky.

One final question. How many people prefer to see some hood up front? Seems like the last generation of Camaro was one of the first to have a totally disappearing front hood from view. Now, my Honda Accord seems to have nothing beyond the wipers, unless I was to move that seat pretty darn high up. Maybe that was part of the success of the Stang? Don't get me wrong, the last generation Camaro is a thing of beauty. A third generation Camaro has hood showing, but I was leery of the build quality. Wonder if many can be found in excellent condition?

Loren
  • jharvey6jharvey6 Member Posts: 1
    I have always been a camaro/firebird lover. I just think that in the case of the new designs; the designers at Chrysler/Ford did a better job of capturing the lines of the original cars. I mean look at each one next to original design. There's just very little link to the muscle car we all know and love of the late 60's.

-Jim
    Well I am not so sure the replicar idea for car manufactures, other than fiberglass replica builders, is a good thing. I think the New Stang is too, what I call replicar, and not imaginative enough. It is also bigger. The 1994 make over for the Mustang was wonderful. And the car was moving along in transitions of design well enough. To go back in time, and use a '65 looking (cheaper plastic) interior on a 69' looking car, minus the chrome bumpers and higher doors, more fitting the chop tops and Chrysler 300, is not my idea of perfect pony car.

The New Camaro would look hot, if they lower the beltline, take five to six inches off the width, and don't go crazy on the wheel sizes. Use 17" for the V6 and 18" on the V8 beef model. As for muscle cars, they are the additional cars in every model. The Mustang, Camaro, Barracuda, Challenger and such were first a Pony Car, and secondly a muscle car in a modified version of the car. A Pontiac GTO came from more humble, or less aggressive origins.

Of the GM cars made of steel, the '69 Camaro is still perhaps the most perfect an effort to day. Perfect in form, such a lovely gal. For some reason, I always think of Camaro as the pretty gal, and Mustang was more that mean guy, the junkyard dog. The AMX, 'Cuda and Challenger are most excellent as well. Would like to see the Corvair Monza return. I owned a Miata for three years (may get another again some day) and it has that good looks, low cost and let's play attitude.
    Loren

P.S. I did own a '65 & '85 Mustang
  • doorbell_04doorbell_04 Member Posts: 1
    I saw Transformers With my friends, and, in it, i saw the car of myy dreams!!! OMG! there was a yellow camaro with black racing stripes! HOLD MONKEY!!!!!!! IT WAS AH-MAZING!!!! Ever since i have been looking for places so i can, eventually, buy one. So i have been looking for prices, n such. Anybody know where i can find this stuff?? (and i have been looking for a 2006 chevy camaro concept, all i can find is like, 2002 and under) so yeah. Do they not exist, or something? Because i have seen them EVERYWHERE! in pictures. never once a price quote. If they are gone, and you cant buy them anywhere anymore. I would just cry.
    so yeah.....lol, anyone wanna help????? You can email me at: IllluvUalways78@yahoo.com
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Just checked out the latest spy photos of the '09 Camaro. The outside still looks good, from what I can see of it with all that camoflage. While it won't be beautiful like any Aston Martin, it's no Pontiac Aztek. As for the interior, I'm disappointed. I was hoping with the reintroduction of the Camaro, Chevrolet would be able to improve on the interior from the previous generation. With those crazy bulbous gauges mimicked from the concept, to the stereo/HVAC unit that looks like it was stolen from a '98 Blazer, to the completely silly and unnecessary two-tone color scheme on the seats, this interior makes me cringe. I can only hope that this is an optional interior and that the standard version will be more conventional, otherwise GM's already alienated one potential buyer.
  • t00badt00bad Member Posts: 1
    Where is the new camaro??? They said 2007, NADA, now 2008, NADA...Now they say 2010...Come on guys, sheesh...Do you have any idea how much you have lost to the ugh Ford Mustang? if you gave me 1, I would sell it. Now you sluggishly avoid the Camaro, till the challenger gets all the moneys Chevy will loose....Might as well not come out with it at all, sheesh...Guess chevy will come out with it when gas gets to 5.00 a gallon, then wonder why no one will buy it...Great move Chevy,
    why don't you just keep your camaro and I will keep driving my chevy silverado and corvette...I won't really care in 2010...keep it....oh and drive it yourself!!!
This discussion has been closed.