Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Future Chevrolet Camaro

1235»

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Speculation at best... and posted in the wrong discussion. Let's keep focused on the Camaro in here. Plenty of other topics in which to talk about opinions on fuel & pricing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Extremely fuzzy math too. ;)
  • goodnitegoodnite Member Posts: 1
    You know if the automakers were smart, they would build cars that look like this new Camero and put a hybird or turbo diesel in it so it could get at least 50 MPG, which would be better than destroying Alaska's environment, which we will probably do anyway once the price of gas gets even higher.
    Ummm, the Volt appears to me to look very much like the Camaro. If ya like the New Camaro, you'll like the Volt. This will be GM's second plug-in car. The first one would have worked, but they could not find a long enough cord. ;)
    Loren
  • danmarkdanmark Member Posts: 1
    The old camaro didn't go anywhere, it transformed into the new one. Remember the girl said it was a heap of junk or something similar to that, so it dumped them out then scanned the specs on the muscle car going by and transformed into a newly muscled camaro. I have to agree that it's a shame it's not coming out until 2009.....I drive a Dodge Quad-Cab....but seeing that Camaro was like candy in the window.
    Ah, the old Camaro, as in the first rendition of a GM Pony, what a beauty. The car is possibly the most perfect example from GM of all time. A 1969 would be a wonderful car to own. OK, a few others like Vettes and Malibu SS.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I know this story will sound made-up, but when I read the line about the '69 Camaro above I felt I should share.

Growing up I used to hear the story about some folks a few miles up the road from where I lived who'd had a son who was killed in Vietnam. Supposedly his parents had bought him a '69 Camaro that he drove briefly before he went off to war, and then he never made it home. But the parents kept the car in their garage, covered with a tarp. And indeed if you drove by and the garage was open, you could see a car up in the front of the garage covered up (it was an extra-deep garage, so the covered car fit in front of another car, so you couldn't make out much detail, but you could see it in there). Supposedly the interior still smelled new, as it had been driven very little.

I graduated from high school in 1984, so somewhere around that time I was still in school, and was out mowing the yard one Saturday morning. Something caught my eye out on the highway, and I looked up to see a pristine '69 Camaro, white w/orange stripes, cruising VERY slowly down the highway (at maybe 40 MPH), towards the gas station about a mile south of our house. My initial thought was that it had to be that car, and that someone had bought it and was driving it to the nearest gas station to fill it up with fresh gasoline. And sure enough, a week or two later I drove by the house and noticed the garage was open, and the shrouded car was gone. I can't swear that the two cars were one and the same, but honestly this car looked showroom new, and it was being driven quite carefully, so I can't imagine it being any other car.

None of us growing up could ever get up the nerve to go ask to look at the car (because of the background story we figured they'd never sell), but somebody got an incredible car as a result.
  • bigblockrulzbigblockrulz Member Posts: 4
    "...Camero and put a hybird or turbo diesel..."

Camaro w/ hybrid/diesel????? Are you from planet Mars!!?!? It's like Oil and Water...doesn't mix. :shades:
  • bigblockrulzbigblockrulz Member Posts: 4
    Even if I was talking about fuel issues, I was referring to Camaro which is a Muscle car in relation with fuel issues. At the end, I meant to say "Want Camaro Forever...Drill Alaska"

:shades:
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Hey I just love to see these pony cars coming out and looking so retro. To me the new camaro looks great..sssoooo much better than the f-bodies! The current Mustang looks great..hey..sales speak for themselves..and the new Challenger looks like a mopar man's dreams. As far as prices, you chevy fans may not have to worry too much. Word on the street is that by 2010..mustang will be sporting a new series of V8s..a 5.0 Ltr...and a 6.2 ltr (thats right..bigger than the hemmi and chevy engine) producing over 430 hp. The 5.0 should be between 350-400hp. Will that rumor come true? C&D magazine..along with others..seem to think so (google "Boss" modular engine and you will see) If thats the case the mustang will likely move up in price. Only thing you really have to worry about is if the Tang comes with the new engines..and remains 2K less than the camaro..in which dejavu will set in. But I don't hate on american brands..I hope there is enough room for the big 3..I'd much rather have a challenger, stang, or camaro than any overseas crap..happy light hunting in this new musclecar era..it should be very..very fun!
    Well I am not so sure the replicar idea for car manufactures, other than fiberglass replica builders, is a good thing. I think the New Stang is too, what I call replicar, and not imaginative enough. It is also bigger. The 1994 make over for the Mustang was wonderful. And the car was moving along in transitions of design well enough. To go back in time, and use a '65 looking (cheaper plastic) interior on a 69' looking car, minus the chrome bumpers and higher doors, more fitting the chop tops and Chrysler 300, is not my idea of perfect pony car.

The New Camaro would look hot, if they lower the beltline, take five to six inches off the width, and don't go crazy on the wheel sizes. Use 17" for the V6 and 18" on the V8 beef model. As for muscle cars, they are the additional cars in every model. The Mustang, Camaro, Barracuda, Challenger and such were first a Pony Car, and secondly a muscle car in a modified version of the car. A Pontiac GTO came from more humble, or less aggressive origins.

Of the GM cars made of steel, the '69 Camaro is still perhaps the most perfect an effort to day. Perfect in form, such a lovely gal. For some reason, I always think of Camaro as the pretty gal, and Mustang was more that mean guy, the junkyard dog. The AMX, 'Cuda and Challenger are most excellent as well. Would like to see the Corvair Monza return. I owned a Miata for three years (may get another again some day) and it has that good looks, low cost and let's play attitude.

I owned a '65 Mustang way back between years 1970 - 73, and was there for every release night at the dealerships to see all the new Camaros and such. A Pony car is fairly light, not too wide (as in like a commercial truck width), has a door you can hand an elbow out of, and priced for the common Joe. This bling-bling monster wheels and massive size has nothing to do with a Pony car. Makes an interesting show car, I guess.
    Loren
  • ebaeebae Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the new camaro is nice to look at, but the #1 consideration for true enthusiasts should be the car's weight, period. Everyone knows that the zeta platform adds about 400 lbs when compared to either the f-bodies (old camaros) or v-bodies (gto, monaro, etc.) due to the more complicated IRS. (Look at the current g8's and holden commodores.) For those who dont know the origin of the zeta platform, it is a cheapened version of the Cadillac Sigma platform developed in the 90's...actually it is identical except for the lack of lightweight composite materials. Also, this car is MANDATED to have 5 star crash rating and it WILL have displacement on demand...all of which add a considerable amount of weight. I cant see this thing coming in at less than 3800 lbs...which means that, performance-wise, the new camaro will be inferior to a 2004-2006 GTO with a LS3 crate motor, which is coming next year. If that turns out to be the case, there is NO WAY that I'm going to buy a new camaro with LESS performance potential than a 5 year old goat, no matter HOW good it looks. (Yes, I know that the last generation F bodies are lighter still, but solid rear axle = doo doo). ;)
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    A Dodge Quad Cab? How exotic. Don't know why in the world you'd think about trying to trade that in on a next generation Camaro.
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    Why whine about a couple hundred pounds? The thing to whine about is that GM cancelled the project twice, causing it to get to the market a scant 4 years late, and its gonna cost waaaayyy more than it should. And it'll still be a Chevy.
  • bloan69bloan69 Member Posts: 1
    If they build them...people will by them. I know I will. I agree building different versions for pricing is the ticket for the life of the camaro. As long as a "fast" version is available (which I'd buy).This legend should NOT die !
  • jskinnerjskinner Member Posts: 2
    I love the Camaro. I had a 1974 and a 1976. I'm glad that they are coming back. I plan to buy one, my mustang will be paid off by then and it will be time for a new car. I have a limited 2004 mustang converable, which I truley love and have a good time driving,but when I heard that the Camaro was coming back, I knew it was time for another one. Haven't heard what the starting price will be. Does anyone know?
  • jskinnerjskinner Member Posts: 2
    If you are going to drive a heavier car then it should be a V8. My mustang is a 6 and sometimes it can't get away from its self. Gas milage is good with a 6 but the V-8 can get you where you need to go in a lot less time. If you have to worry about the gas milage, then a Camaro isn't the car for every one.
  • mscamaromscamaro Member Posts: 1
    I can't wait!! Ever since I saw the first protocol on this, I started saving my money. It sure sounded sweet, flying by on that test drive video. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I already have my name on a waiting list.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are they still planning on putting a 6MT in this car? This will give it a distinct advantage over the Challenger IMO.

-mike
  • lv2seeitlv2seeit Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get on the waiting list for that camaro. I love it and must have one.....can you customize color and everything?

lv2seeit
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    Wow! The new Camaro's V-8 will take more than 8 quarts of motor oil. And its V-6 will take more than 7 quarts!
  • xcarxcar Member Posts: 6
    GM will begin production on the new 2010 Camaro on Feb. 16 2009.At the dealership where I work ,there is approx. 100 people on the waiting listand I am first,but the dealer will probably get the first one.Then I may get it at GMS price.
  • troll_magetroll_mage Member Posts: 3
    Got an email from Chevrolet@email.chevrolet.bfi0.com:

Today's the day! The 2010 Camaro is now available to order (production starts early 2009). Starting at $22,995 (MSRP), the Camaro isn't just a sports car, but a bold emotion sculpted in sheet metal that drops jaws and inspires envy in those not behind the wheel. Simply put, with its creased, taut lines and unexpected array of standard features, this cutting-edge performance machine is passion — perfected.

Links in the email among the images
    http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/2010+Camaro+Order.pdf

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/2010+Camaro+Order+FAQ.pdf

Other related link

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/2010+Camaro+Specifications.pdf
  • jchevroletjchevrolet Member Posts: 30
    If anyone would like to take a look at the true Production 2010 Camaro, I have a video of it on my blog. The owner of the dealership had the opportunity to film it at the Sate Fair of Texas this past weekend.

Jupiter Chevrolet
  • dynodyno Member Posts: 2
    GM has about 36 months of cash left, and if it finds a way to survive it will not be due to the geniuses in the boardroom. Their strategy and execution is dismal. If they could walk away from the Camaro now, they would. So for everyone rushing to buy one, plan on keeping it for life. In 1967, the Camaro was the right car at the right time. In 2009, it's another of a long line of strategic failures.

GM fans and workers deserve better. Throw GM's leadership out.
This discussion has been closed.