Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

1505152535456»

Comments

• pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    edited June 2012
    I still have the OEM touring tires. They have "all Season", printed on them. That is a lie. They are worthless in the snow. I live in the DC area. Cars here have an extra warning light. If there is more than 2 inches of snow, a light comes on and says. "abandon car now" That means on Interstate Highways, too. So even if you can drive in snow, the roads are jammed with abandoned cars. Some diplomats don't even have a word for "snow" in their language.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    Can't help you with the snow question...I live in Phoenix, AZ

I had to respond to this older thread when I read this.
    Visiting my brother in Prescott a couple of years ago, we flew in to Phoenix in late February to beautiful 68 degree temps. Thought we were UPtown when our rental was upgraded to a Town Car and off we drove to Prescott...where they enjoyed a RECORD one-day snowfall that melted and turned to shear glaze ice by 9PM(15degrees at that time!!!). What I would have given for ANYthing more snow/ice worthy!!!

I had considered driving over (1100 miles) in our Volvo XC60 AWD, but even it would have had trouble on the skating rink disguised as the main roads around Prescott. ;)

I wonder what the OP finally chose?
  • thorlinthorlin Member Posts: 6
    Well, I actually went a totally different direction and bought a Ford Fusion SEL. The Ford dealer where I bought my truck two years ago had a great buy on one one Saturday a few months back. I test drove it, thought it drove great, and they gave me what I was hoping for on my trade. Will have to wait a few months to see what our winter is like. The trunk is very large, is great for the wheelchair, and my mom is able to get in and out no problem. And the Fusion is a very nice car...it had the options I was really hoping for anyway, and was having to get a pretty scaled up Toyota to get. (leather heated seats, sun roof, quite a nice stereo). So happy so far.
  • gwilliams2004gwilliams2004 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2012
    On 6/29/2012 I had a small auto accident. I waited in line for a traffic light. There was a Lexus SUV at my left side. When light turned green, the SUV tried to change to right lane and hit my car at the left front panel right in front of front tire. The speed was no more than 10MPH.

The SUV did not even have a scratch. But my Camry front side panel was dented in and the front bumper was push apart for about 1-2 inches forward. Lucky, the lamp on top of the bumper was not damaged. The insurance settle quickly and I sent the car to a dealer body shop. The initial claim was $2032. Body shop added another $400+ for additional small parts. So it went to $2460.

Two weeks later, the car was sent to Toyota dealer for additional repair, the cost jumped to $7600. The dealer said, the electrical parts also need to be replaced.

The car was in the dealership for more than a month. I just pick up the car. And the total cost to repair came to an astonishing number - $13,884.29.

This is a typical everyday accident. The body shop said, because it is Hybrid. So, a small, minor accident can become a ridiculous, outrageous price.

Are you dare to drive this car?
  • sbkcpasbkcpa Member Posts: 6
    Didn't you ask what additional repairs were needed? Sounds like a ripoff
    The damage was only a dent in front of the front wheel. And the bumper was push apart for about 1-2 inches. Luckily, the lamp on top of the bumper was not damaged.

The problem is the Toyota Hybrid design. From that dent, the entire wire for the engine and several control box needed to be replaced. The body shop charged 2636.79. The Toyota dealer charged $11,247.50.

According to the receipt, Toyota dealer found a code C1256. They could not remove that code until they replaced $7896.88 worth of parts. Plus $2856 labor and $493.62 tax.
    You're right.....that is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The body shop amount isn't surprising. If you dent metal or move body parts, it's like an automatic $2,500 minimum. I'm not saying that the rest is or isn't legitimate, but wow, I'm wondering how a vehicle gets designed that can take THAT much damage from a seemingly minor hit.
    Well, this is a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE. I was shocked when I learned the repair cost. You can't image how fragile it is. Please check the picture:

http://www.ifor.com/images/IMAG0119.jpg
    I agree that the cost of the body work is not unusual, but the more that I think about it...the other repair had to be legit. Before an insurance company will pay such a big claim, the repair shop has to prove that the repair is necessary. Perhaps the wheel took a really bad hit and damaged the brakes. I Googled the code you mentioned, and it has to do with loss of ABS pressure. Sounds like a lot of damage was done behind the scenes.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    edited August 2012
    If you looked under the bumper cover on most Japanese cars and some domestics, you would see that the actual bumper beam does not come anywhere close to the corners of the car. That is why you see so many Toyotas with the corners caved in.

I seriously don't know how they all get away with this nonsense.
    ABS? It doesn't sound right.

From the picture, you can clearly see the impact did not damage the wheel, not a scratch.

The bumper is more like decoration than protection. It is only for a perfect front end collision. The beam inside the bumper is not long enough to protect the corner impact.

In recent news, a test impact from front end but just hit in front of the driver, not entire front end, that impact can let the bumper to go in all the way to the driver.
  • bookbumsbookbums Member Posts: 1
    2008 Camry Hybrid A/C Front light blinking

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The light on the Front button on my A/C unit blinks yellow for a minute or two when I turn on the vehicle. While it's blinking I can't do anything with the controls on the A/C unit.

Once the lights quits blinking, the A/C unit always shows the temperature is set to 75 and the fan is off but I can then control the unit completely and it works fine. This has been going on for about a week.

Any ideas?
  • itsacamry4meitsacamry4me Member Posts: 1
    Would it be possible to post up a photo or PDF of the Toyota repair report and costs with all personal information blanked out? I wouldn't mind seeing the exact details of the repair work just to find out why it cost so much. Thanks!
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    WOW!

I've replaced the wipers on my Toyota's and most all the other (36 and counting) cars I've ever owned at least once a year.

I drove 36,000+ miles a year (a lot of highway), and I can't get by with wipers that don't work.

I too, tried the nice silicone wiper blades, and they were ok, but not much if any better. Road grime, slush and other [non-permissible content removed] on the window is just more then wipers can take over the long haul.

I drive New England mostly, but to Florida and points in-between several times a year and I just can't get more then a year out my wiper blades.

Skip
  • rickpoolerickpoole Member Posts: 27
    I've been considering either a Prius V or Camry Hybrid but after reading about your experience I'd like to learn more about how your dealer and Toyota handled this situation. Definitely post the repair details including which Toyota dealer did this. I'd really like to ask Toyota about this and see what they say before we purchase a Toyota hybrid.
    Before I bought Camry, I had a Cadi Develle. So, sporty is not my taste. I did some homework compare V to Camry and decided to buy Camry. I think V is a good car but it could be great if it had Camry's 2.4L instead of 1.8L.

Now I have this Camry for about 3 months (own 5 months with 2 months in the garage). I can say Camry Hybrid is pretty good. It has very good gas mileage. Quite fast (faster than new ES Hybrid), and cheap. I paid $26K for 2012 XLE in May.

The bad parts, small trunk, cheap material, and very filmy body. You can adjust the bumper and fender by hands, easily.

The car came with 2-year service for free. That is good. After 2 years, you will know, changing old can be an expensive experience. Each oil change may cost $100 boundary.
  • carshopper84carshopper84 Member Posts: 2
    I found a 2009 Hybrid, fully loaded, with 63k miles. The carfax say that it was in an accident involving rear impact. This causes concern because I've never owned a Hybrid. I'm only on my second vehicle, which is a 2001 Buick Regal. My first car was a 1991 Cavalier. Sadly, I'm ready for a foreign car. Anyway, I don't have details as to the extent of the impact, but the car was seemingly repaired and had 1 previous owner, who kept the car regularly serviced.

Any thoughts? Should I run from a future headache or am I safe with the advantages of the Hybrid?
    Sorry, I don't know. 2009 is a very different car from 2012. Any accident is a bad sign for used cars. If you can pull the original repair records from the seller that will help. You need to know if it is repaired properly. The owner does not need to spend every insurance money to fix the car.

I have talked to the dealer who fixed my car. We didn't come to any conclusion but agreed that the body shop might mess up the car.

After my accident, I drove that car for about 10 days. When the car arrived the dealership, the body was already fixed. They found under the hood, the entire wires, computer control modules were burned. The dealer extensively replaced the entire wire, every computer modules, and the battery in the trunk (smaller one). I sent the car back to the dealer this week because they didn't plug the window washer motor properly. But it is fixed.
  • carshopper84carshopper84 Member Posts: 2
    Hm....Thanks. Hopefully, they will be able to provide that information at the dealership on the repairs, but I don't trust car salesmen or dealerships. The previous owner kept the car for about another year and 3 months before trading, according to the carfax.

I'm just hoping to find something soon. I've turned into a notorious car shopper.
  • thorlinthorlin Member Posts: 6
  • ohassenohassen Member Posts: 2
    If you're used to the reliability and low maintenance of Hondas and Camrys, I'd stay away from Subarus. I owned a 92 Camry, 98 Accord, and now a '06 Legacy (regrettably). Just go over to the Subaru consumer discussions to read about all the persistent problems. I've had mine for less than a year and have already experienced most of the issues (Alignment, mystery Hesitation/misfire, tire air leaking...etc.) Never again!