Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    As you may know, we have two CRV's. A 2003 EX with 53,000 miles and a 2011 with 500 miles. Although the 2010 is MUCH improved in every way, the 2003 is a great car. The things that bother you are no bother to me.

The swinging rear door and the rear mounted spare are things that don't bother me at all although I do like the 2011 set up better.

I'm a native So, Californian but have lived in the Seattle area for more than 20 years. Not much snow here or I probably would share your complaints.

It is, indeed a noisy beast. the 2011 is much quieter.

I know a couple of people who have installed a product called Dynamat in theri wheel wells and inside their doors and they say it made a world of difference. Me, I just turn up my radio a bit.

After 53,000 miles NOTHING has gone wrong except normal maintenance. I quit changing my oil years ago becaue of the PITA factor. I know that filter is nasty to get to. Just checked the brakes and the original rears need to be replaced. Fronts are probably good for another 5-8000 miles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2010
    After 53,000 miles NOTHING has gone wrong except normal maintenance. I quit changing my oil years ago

For a minute there I thought you had gone 50k miles without an oil change. Thought I had made a convert. :D

I just changed the oil in my Outback out in my unheated garage. It's sunny today and it's up to around 30 outside. It actually wasn't too bad of a chore.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    if Nippon buys the Yaris, he will become the only man in the USA to actually buy one! Might have to get special permission though from Toyota since I think it is part of the franchise agreement that they only sell them to young women.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I used to lie on my back and change my own oil. I did this for years.

Living in CA is wasn't that bad but in a cold garage it really is.

Then I would drop the oil plug into the catch bin, drip oil up and down my arms. The PITA of having to dispose of the old oil etc.

Just one of those things I gladly pay others to do now.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    LOL! Is the Yaris a chick car and I didn't know it? I see guys in them all the time in my commute.....and what about the Fit then? Is that less of a chick car?

The Mazda is so cute I would assume it MUST be a chick car, just like the Miata.

The Yaris is the only one of the cars I drove that DOESN'T come in any fun colors. As much as I am de-emphasizing exterior styling in my decision, I DID promise myself long ago that the next car I bought would have a more interesting color.
    For the Mazda and the Fiesta that would be the green, although the Fiesta also has a yellow-orange that I really like also.
    For the Fit that would be the orange, or perhaps the blackberry purple if they still make it (don't see it on the website any more for 2011, but they offered that color from the first Fit debut up through 2010 I'm pretty sure).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I used to change my own religiously. Then, maybe 10 years ago, I realized that the dealer would only charge me maybe $5 more than doing it myself. So I did that up until maybe 2 years ago when, all of a sudden, I was paying $40-$50 per oil change. I think my Infiniti was the last of my cars I took to the dealer. My wife's Mazda still goes, but that's only because we have coupons. And, even with those, we're paying near $30.

The VW? Forget it. Will do that myself every time.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I haven't changed my own oil since I was a teenager.

The E55 takes 8.5 quarts (isn't that handy) of synthetic. That plus the price of a filter means the $90 I pay for the service isn't a huge deal when the hassle of the change and oil disposal is taken into account.

Fintail has a weird old fashioned filter, that with the hassle and the lower cost and frequency makes it an easy decision to have someone else do it. I don't mind patronizing my good local indy mechanic either.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't worry about the chick car stereotypes - if people are right, and you go to an owners club meeting, you'll be the only guy there.

Plus, at that price range you're talking about young females.

You'll like those odds. :shades:
    edited December 2010
    5 quarts of oil was $10 and a filter was ~$4. And a pair nitrile gloves. So around $15 for me, with tax. The timing worked well too - my wife ran over to the grocery store and when she got back, the oil was hot but not scalding. The trick on oil dripping down your arm Isell, is to maintain upward pressure on the filter or oil plug as you unscrew them until they are completely out of their threads, then move your arm away.

What else do you have to do in your retirement? :)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Not sure if you realize that your words here are misleading, but the Jetta/Golf that beats the Yaris for fuel economy is the $23K diesel, not the $15K crapmobile gas trim.

My bad. I put the normal car's price in instead of the Diesel's. It's also Mini expensive. $21/$20/$25K/$13K - it's kind of a no-brainer for the Fiesta.
    edited December 2010
    It timed out while editing, so I'll continue...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
    The Fiesta gets their top safety pick. and is the only mini/subcompact they've tested so far to get a "good" rating in all major areas, even beating out the Fit.

Fiesta: 2578lbs/119HP/112lb-ft HP/Weight ratio:21.66 0-60:10.0(TC on) 1/4mile: 17.2 @ 80.4 Turning:34.4ft Slalom:62.2(ESC) Observed MPG: 32.7 combined. @ 70 mph cruise (dB) 66.1

Mazda 2: 2359lbs/100HP/98lb-ft 0-60:11.0(TC on) HP/Weight ratio:23.59 1/4mile:17.9 @ 77.3 Turning:34.1 Slalom: 62.6(ESC) Observed MPG: 32.9 combined. @ 70 mph cruise (dB) 72.9

Yaris: 2326lbs/106HP/103lb-ft 0-60 9.2(no TC) HP/Weight ratio:21.94 1/4mile:17.8 @ 76.8 Turning:32.2 Slalom: 65.9(no ESC) Observed MPG: 32.9 combined. @ 70 mph cruise (dB) 73.2

Note - 0-60 times are actual via Edmunds tests without abusing the clutch or transmission. Not manufacturer's claims. (Fifth Gear did a similar test and found a 15-20% difference from manufacturer's claims as well) The Fiesta has stability control and traction control that's on all the time, which limits the amount of hooliganism that the test drivers can achieve.(Yaris has no ESC at all) Note the Fiesta's quicker quarter mile. IME, it drives much better.

One other, thing - the noise levels.
    Fiesta: 66.1
    Mazda 2:72.9
    Yaris: 73.2

A 7.1db difference is more than 50% louder to your ear. It's enough to be annoying - and that's perhaps why even though the cars drive fairly close, the Yaris doesn't do it for me. Plastic interior, noisy, feels "ticky-tacky", and does poorly in crash tests. And Toyota charges 15K out the door for one with even basic options.(and still no power seats?) It's such a bland and mediocre vehicle.

http://www.ford.com/cars/fiesta/compare/?vehicles=28447|27397|29194|30408

I set it up to compare - The lack of standard features on the Yaris shows its age, IMO.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Are you sure there is a 5000.00 difference?

I think that the difference is more like 2K or so.

There is next to nothing profit on Fits so that just doesn't sound right!

Next to nothing for the dealer, what about the manufacturer?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

The swinging rear door and the rear mounted spare are things that don't bother me at all although I do like the 2011 set up better.

The SIL has a CR with the swinging door. We used it to take him to the airport a few weeks ago. What bothered me wit it was that it opened to the wrong direction. It opens ro the curb side so when we went to take out the luggage we had to take it out the back then around the door to get it to the curb. Not well thought out IMHO.

The swinging door works great ... in Japan. You're just driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I like changing my own oil. Its 35 minutes from ramps down to ramps put away with the '05 Legacy, and that includes consuming an adult beverage while the oil drains.
    Its another story with the '07 Accord. That car is a PITA due to the location of the filter, mostly. I try to avoid my driveway looking like the Valdez was there, and changing the Accord oil makes that challenging.
    The Accord has the maintenance minder so it just tells me when to change the oil.
    My biggest issue is I don't like other people messing with my stuff.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited December 2010
    Nippon, if saving money is a key consideration, why not just drive your Echo another 100,000 miles? I know the Yaris is new, while your Echo is probably miled up, but is the Yaris really much more satisfying to drive than your Echo?

The reason these questions come to mind is that if you're not going to buy what you really like best, maybe the best option, given Toyota's reputation for reliability and long life, is to drive the Echo into the ground.
    Yes, that thought had occurred to me too....but it's six years and 100K with the Echo at this point, and I'm ready for a change. Still, not NEEDING to get a new car gives me the luxury of time to think more about it, and I think I will give the Echo one more year, while I save the cash for the new car.

It was still fun to do the comparison drives though, and if nothing new and super-competitive has entered the market by this time next year, I'm sure it's a Fit I will buy.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited December 2010
    for one reason because of his very favorable review of the Mazda 2's driving qualities. I feel that $16,995 for the manual-trannied version of the Mazda 2 is very fair, considering how well the car does in the twisties. Probably wouldn't drop a size class down from the Lancer for one of these, or the Ford Fiesta, but reading from one of the regulars their view of all of these subcompacts back-ta-back-ta-back (need I add anotha back-ta-back in here?) was very fun and informative to check out, exactly why I come to this website.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hold on iluv, you are a few hundred high there! The sticker on the Mazda2 Touring (top of the line) with the manual shift is $16,4 and you could get it for $16K flat, I'm sure, if you dicker with them just a little bit. Which is $1000 less than what you said.

Just in case you were thinking of making a move on one.....

... If I got one it would be "Spirited Green Metallic"! ;-)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Ready for a change is a valid reason to, well, trade the old for the new. A Fit would represent a change, but a Yaris, not so much. However, I read that Toyota will update the Yaris for 2012 (I believe). It'll be more than just a freshening, but will retain the current platform.
    edited December 2010
    for the even lower price of only $16,400 or as you say, $16,000 with a bit of haggling, the manual trannied Mazda 2 in this shade of green might just get the nod over the 2011 Ford Fiesta.

The new "smiley-faced" Mazda small car look looks much
    better on their new 2 as opposed to their new 3 IMHO

If I were to take the silly plunge, that is. The Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta test drives would be a ball. I am still working on paying off the '08 Lancer GTS and I love the car. Humm....maybe think about 2 cars? :confuse:

edited December 2010
    What struck me with driving the Mazda 2 was that it simply needed another 15-20HP. The Buick Regal also has this issue. Both are great vehicles but they are slow to respond and you ask yourself... WHY? 100HP is just... My Volvo 240 weighed the same amount as the 2 and had 20 more HP. And it felt... SLOW.

But... 16K... that's pricey. You say "want sporty" and "want cheap", well, that's something a tiny bit larger that has a standard 160hp or so engine in it. A compact car.

Of course, the 2012 Civic will change everything. We're finally getting the Euro-Spec Civic.
    http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/civic3door/#gallery
    Check out the 5th picture.

Honda's U.S. page:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/2012-civic/
    It's an "artist concept", obviously, of the exact same generation Civic as they sell in the U.K. now. Honda wouldn't just toss its entire tooling and designs - so it'll probably be nearly identical to the Euro version. And the reviews in Europe have been stellar.

Spring 2012. It's Honda finally taking the game seriously, and if they by some miracle offer the TDI version (45mpg combined), VW is done for.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Says compression ratio was 10.5 for the diesel. 10.5 what? Surely that isn't psi..

I hope i live long enough that we are offered as many diesel options here in NA as they have in Europe. As NA's, are we smart enough to demand diesel options? Rhetorical, cuz the ratio is so few it doesn't make a scale....unfortunately.

I wonder if Honda will have finally addressed interior noise? When I saw the 66.2 db level of the Fiesta, compared to the competition, I could forgive a lot of other weaknesses as long as the seat wasn't one of them.

Maybe I too should wait. I had been considering a TDI, but they have become so complicated, with cat preburners or whatever it's called, and so many other measures to meet our ridiculous emission restrictions. Once out of wty, i would be out of my element to work on it. Of course Honda's diesel would be no simpler here either. But the car might be less problematic than the Vdub.
    True, but any car these days isn't DIY friendly. The advantage is that Honda's engine was designed (quote) "By a man who hates diesels". He went out of his way to make it operate as much like a gasoline engine and with the idea of "*I* don't want to have to work on fixing it" in mind.

It's really reliable and is also almost 2 seconds faster than the base gas powered Civic's 0-60 times.(nearly 200lb-ft torque is huge once the turbo gets going)

But even the normal gas powered Civic hatchback is awesome looking. The interior is amazing and it really is what we've been wanting - an economy car that's also somewhat luxurious.

Also,
    http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/Genuine-Sheepskin-p-16157.html
    Click on image 9. The simple way to make crummy economy seats feel like decent ones is to get covers like this.(the sides aren't there because of the side airbags) $220 and it gets rid of the seat-hate and back pain, guaranteed.
    What struck me with driving the Mazda 2 was that it simply needed another 15-20HP.

That's why you get the manual. ;-)
    Or were you already driving the manual? I didn't find it to be wanting for power, provided you were willing to rev it when you wanted to go fast. These little cars are all that way, designed that way on purpose so that in normal driving you can get really good gas mileage.

Spring 2012. It's Honda finally taking the game seriously
    I believe they have just made it official that the next-gen Civic will be available in Spring 2011 as a 2012 model. Perhaps that is the confusion here, that it will be a 2012? It definitely isn't still 15 months away, more like 5.

And yes it will be nice to see Honda take the compact class as seriously as it takes the subcompact class with the Fit, although to be fair the current Civic was at least tied for tops (with the Mazda3) in the compact class when it came out in 2005.

I think I saw 251 ft lbs, (heehee) at 2000 rpm (which is a fair bit higher than TDI's 1650 or whatever it is...typical Honda engine with revs tho) which is about right for a 2.2 turbo'd and intercooled.

The sheepskin is warm, but it doesn't make a seat (bottom especially) bigger or longer in dimension. In fact, their very thickness uses up even more seat real estate. I find that most seat bottoms are shorter in the past decade than they used to be. While car shopping and visiting with other shoppers, a very common complaint from just random shoppers is that the seat bottoms don't support thighs well enough, and the other beef you often hear, is that with manual adjusters, if you adjust height, you also adjust tilt...like it or not, and vice versa. I'm guessing that is why as many people opt for a pwr seat which is often pkg'd with sunroofs and other cr&p.
    Let's face it, in a car - behind the wheel, is there even one other single component in the entire car that has more bearing on the driver than the seat?
    The current Civic came out in 2006 and it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

It'll be interesting to see the new model that will compete in a brutal marketplave.
    I didn't know you had bought a 2nd CRV. Only 500 miles eh? That is one new car. So you are finding it quieter than the 03? I drove the CRV before I bought my 05. That was fall of 08 so i guess it was an 09. Two things I found right away that I ruled the car out. First was the discovery that they dropped the manual, but i was (and still am) open to an auto if it works really well. REALLY well, and I do feel that more speeds helps in that department. But in the demo CRV I drove it had this very peculiar 'shudder' throughout the entire chassis when going over even small bumps. It was so noticeable to me that if you didn't know better, you would swear it had 1/3 the number of spot welds in the chassis that it should have had. To this day I would love to drive another one to see if they all do that. I also was not impressed with the 5 sp auto. It seemed to hold onto gears a bit too long in town, which I felt wasted gas.
    And the particular demo I drove had a driveline imbalance that felt like a severely out of balance wheel. I mentioned to them when I got back and got a look (from the saleswoman) like I simply had to have been mistaken. The thing that concerned me in that regard tho, was a year earlier my neice and her husband finally retired their old 5 sp Altima and bought a new 5 sp Accord. Well that car also had a driveline imbalance that had been to three dif dealers and two tire speciality shops all in an effort to find out what the imbalance was. It wasn't until they swapped out all four rims and tires with dif ones that they searched deeper than wheels and tires. That swap still had the imbalance. Apparently it was something in the transmission or somewhere (I never did quite follow where she said they found the problem) but both her and her husband still say it is way better but just not smooth like their 200000 mi Altima was.

After learning about that, and then coincidently a year later I drive that CRV demo (that still had plastic on the seats) with a rather severe imbalance, it sure cinched it for me, that I would never order car. I drive the very car I am going to buy and if it has an ailment like that, there is no way that the dealer will say "oh that's just a wheel out of balance, we can fix that...so do we have a deal?" I'll wait till they find the problem, then we have a deal.
    The fact that they were both Hondas I feel is nothing more than a coincidence btw.
    Early sketches of the new Civic are out, and it looks more aggressive, but mostly evolutionary.

I think the Elantra is going to shake up this segment. 40mpg in any model plus your pick of 6 speeds.
    You may be right about the Elantra. With each passing year the Korean Stigma may fade away.

Not my cup of tea!
    edited December 2010
    Not sure what you mean by "imbalance"?

After riding in and driving literally, thousands of new Hondas I can honestly say I never felt anything like that.

If you drove a new Honda with plastic on the seats, I'm guessing it may not have had it's Pre Delivery Inspection. If that was the case, the tires would have been severly overinflated and it would have bounced like a basketball.

Sometimes I would have customers "hear" or "feel" something that I couldn't detect or that I knew was just normal.

People would take their hands off the steering wheel somethimes and whan the car would slowly drift to the right (normal) they would tell me..IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT!

People would open the hoods on used cars with the engines running and tell me it had a "knock" when there was no abnormal noise.

Sometimes these comments were just fluff reasons to not buy a car or a reason to get the price down.
    edited December 2010
    Yes, it was with a manual. And 100hp at 2500lbs or so is pokey. 120HP is adequate. Just barely.

And the Civic is a only a few months away. I think the recent 2 star rating on the crash tests finally lit a fire under their posterior. The IIHS made the 2011 tests MUCH harder and more realistic, and a lot of small vehicles with 4 or 5 star ratings simply failed outright. As you'd kind of expect, since the chances of a Yaris getting into an accident with another Yaris is pretty remote. It's why the test should be even harder and against a 3600-3800lb "standard size and weight" vehicle. Or an approximation of one.

But, yeah, if you're not dying for a replacement right now, I'd wait until the Honda comes out before making a decision.

And, yes, the TDI market is huge in the U.S.precisely because there's only VW/Audi (breaks a lot) an Mercedes (costs a lot). What we need is cheap and reliable and doesn't look or handle like a toad. Honda could sell an awful lot of them just because so many people are waiting for a car like this before making the leap to diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDA9so_IeI
    I want one. Now. :P
    It wasn't subtle. It was as if there was a big clump of mud or ice stuck to the wheel. Surely you have driven a car whose wheels were out of balance? It was like that.

I admit I am sensitive to feel in a vehicle, be it on a bike, a car or even a big truck. Most racers have this ability more than your average driver. I can feel driveline issues going bad before they fail. Like a U joint for example. I don't need it to be clanking around (or even close to that) before realizing there is a major problem going to happen if it is ignored. A U joint starts off sometimes with just a squeak, and will eventually transform to a a bit of wiggle or warple in the driveline...a very very subtle flutter. If you have ever driven a Jeep that someone has raised up and gone a bit too high for U joint angles that don't feel fluid anymore, you would know what i mean. Or not, not everyone feels things till they break.

But your example of the "it pulls to the right' would have bugged me too. You likely got that more since more vehicles became FWD also. Trying to explain torque-steer to someone like that...well.. I think a person would have to learn to tone that out or they would drive you crazy.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Cars drift to the right due to the crown of the road.... nothing to do with torque steer. ;)
    I know that thanks, but my point was that even if there was no crown, torque-steer could still be evident depending on how aggressive they accelerate.

And i think isell's point was he felt like a broken record trying to explain this to people who should already know it but use any old thing to degrade the car so they can skinny their deal.
    With each passing year the Korean Stigma may fade away

I think it already has.

They went from customers leaving the brands in droves, to 58 and 56% loyalty rates for Hyundai and Kia, respectively. Hyundai missed a tie with Honda by just 1%.
    Korean cars still bomb at the auctions and on our used lot, no matter how nice they were, they were very difficult to sell even when they could be bought for a substancial savings over a used Honda or Toyota.

I will admit that they have made tremendous strides. At the recent Auto Show I have to say, some of their models were pretty impressive.

I still wouldn't want one when there are better (my opinion) choices for about the same money.
    Perhaps, but those are a few years old, right?

I'm sure when the new Sonata (or Elantra) hit the auctions the values will rise just as quickly as loyalty did.
    edited December 2010
    Well, perhaps. I suppose only time will tell.

I do know people have short memories.

I just have a bad taste in my mouth for Korean cars. I vividly remember thier initial offerings. I also remember when Daewoo came to town with crappy troublesome cars and tried to elbow themselves into an already overcrowded marketplace.

Having said all of this, I would still buy a Hyundai before I would buy anything Volkswagen.
    I think that generally the public's perception lags about 5 years behind reality. So you're right...it could still take a while.

At least there was gradual improvement even before the current generation. They were smart - the warranty made people look, then the cars improved.
    They were more or less forced into going to that 100K powertrain warranty and they hung their hopes on it.

It's not as good as it sounds since it covers the POWERTRAIN and not the other stuff that breaks more often. Most powertrains last well over 100K.

I'm sure they added a few hundred to the price of the cars when they added the longer warranty.

It did work. There are a lot of what we used to call "warranty freaks" who really focus on that. I always thought Honda should do the same thing since the risks wouldn't be that great.
    Says compression ratio was 10.5 for the diesel. 10.5 what? Surely that isn't psi..

Compression ratio is just that... a ratio. So 10.5 means 10.5:1. In other words, it can compress 10.5 cubic inches down to 1 cubic inch.

However, I believe that may be a typo in the case of the diesel. That's more of a petrol compression ratio. Diesels tend to be more in the 18+ range.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Right, pardon my brain burp...that was the point i was trying to make. Thanks for figuring it out.
    Ya... so definitely a typo. I just wondered that if it wasn't what type of new tech are have they discovered with their new oil burner.
    yeah, I don't know. I think such a low compression ratio would not work with glow plugs, though. (do they still use those anyway??)
    So maybe some sort of different injection system that uses less fuel, "atomizes" it better, and a higher heat ignition source.(????) All complete guesses on my part. I can't say I'm a diesel expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'll probably ask Dad at Xmas, though, as it has my curiosity sparked.

I think they still use them, AAMOF i think i read recently somewhere that they had a recall on some, that used a ceramic tip that could break off, and of course that is disastrous, as it goes into the CC.

There sure would have to be other changes made in order to get the dsl to fire, cuz 10.5 isn't even very high by gas standards really. And thru a lower CR, I would think there would be less output also, which would give less FE. And cold starting would be made even more complicated. I think it must be a typo.

I really do admit, I love the idea of a Honda dsl on these shores. Interesting about the guy behind it, not liking dsl engines... quite the blasphemes admission, lol
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Then, one person's loss is another one's gain. I have long-term and objective experience with a number of Honda autos, and Hyundai. Frankly, and surprising even to me initially, the Hyundai's have been more reliable.

All of this means that used car buyers can get a great deal on a used Hyundai rather than paying for the market's perception of quality with Honda or Toyota.
    Being more reliable than a Honda is surprising to me too.

And you are correct. Used Hyundais can be an excellent buy given the steep depreciation curve. I would try to steer my customers toward them for that very reason but I typically wasn't successful.

People just didn't want them.
    I will agree with you, we have taken two Hyundais (an Elantra and an Accent) to over 175K miles each. Both cars have been more reliable than any other car I have had. I would buy one again overmost other cars.

edited December 2010
    I think it already has.

They went from customers leaving the brands in droves, to 58 and 56% loyalty rates for Hyundai and Kia, respectively. Hyundai missed a tie with Honda by just 1%.

And Hyundai and Kia have been up "there" for several years now. Many new Kia's have won customer appreciation awards. I spose the American public's perception is slow, still, but anyone who has a keen interest in new motorcars has picked up on the Korean upsurge for years now. At least 3 years of great successs has been realized by Hyundai and Kia by 2010. The cars are reliable, I racked up 80,000 miles on my '99 Kia Sephia (a few warranty repairs and one recall were necessary) and about 130,000 on my 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 (a few Warranty repairs were necessary) and I would not hesitate to buy another Kia.