Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Miata Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi hward1. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Mazda Miata GT with 15,000 miles per year are .00051 and 52%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. The residual value is set in stone and individual dealers to not have the authority to alter it.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that Mazda is currently providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Yes, dmcgettigan, the $1,000 lease cash is still available on all Miata trim levels. I'm not sure what the selling price for the exact Miata that you are interested in is. We would need that to estimate this car's lease payment. If you share it with us, I am sure that either myself or another helpful community member would be happy to estimate this car's monthly payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • hybrid213hybrid213 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, can one of you guys give me an idea if this is a good deal for an 08 touring MT w/ suspension?

36 months lease
    10500 miles/year
    $1000 down only
    $269 + Tax

Thanks!
  • hybrid213hybrid213 Member Posts: 2
    btw, the msrp is 24775 and that is 1000 out the door

24mnths for 285
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Wow, that looks like a great deal. I probably woulda signed if they would have offered that deal. What is the money factor on the leases?
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    Hi. due to change in personal circumstances I am considering subleasing my 2008 Miata Touring Copper Red with ground effects package/rear spoiler. Car is in brand new condition with 3700 miles . 24 monthly payments remaining of $ 292.00 month taxes in. 15 k miles per year. The car is a blast to drive and a real head turner. Located in Michigan. Have looked at leasetraders and the deal seems good.
  • roundyroundroundyround Member Posts: 1
    Nearing end of 3 year lease on my wife's '06 Sport w/6 speed and trying to decide whether or not to buy. Less than 10K miles with initial MSRP of $23495. Buyout figure of $13862. Local dealers showing similar cars are at $17K.

Are buyout figures negotiable or was that in stone when I agreed upon value of vehicule when I signed lease?
    Hi roundyround. Banks will occasionally negotiate the end of term purchase prices of leased vehicles. More often than not, they won't but you certainly don't have anything to lose by trying. Don't bother involving the dealer in the transaction. Place a call directly to the bank that you are leasing your Miata through. If your initial contact there is unwilling to work with you, you may have better luck finding someone who will if you work your way up the ladder to a manager. Again, they won't necessarily be willing to negotiate but it's worth a shot. Let us know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • krwest1krwest1 Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone know if a leftover 2008 can still be leased? If so, can the $5000 rebate be used with a lease? Thanks.
    Hi krwest1. Unfortunately, Mazda pulled the plug on its special lease program on the 2008 Miata last month. If you can still find an independent bank that will lease one, which is doubtful, you could use the $5,000 cash incentive to reduce its capitalized cost.

If you are not 100% set on leasing, you can always finance your new Miata through Mazda at 0% for 3 years, 1.9% for up to 5 years, or 3.9% for 6 years.

Car_man
    Host
  • krwest1krwest1 Member Posts: 74
    Thanks for the reply, Car_man. I don't think the $5000 can be combined with the low financing through Mazda. I found 3.99% for 60 months and 4.75% for 72 months from PenFed. They also have a program called a Payment Saver Loan. It's basically a balloon loan, but the rate is 4.24%, which I think is pretty good for this type of loan. The only drawback that I see about this is that I can't return the car at the end like I can with a lease. Are you familiar with this loan from PenFed?

Thanks.
    No problem krwest1. What you are describing is called a balloon note. Balloon notes are very similar to leases. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with PenFed.

Car_man
    Host
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Car_man, any ideas on what the August or Sept. 2009 Residual and MF is for any Miatas (09)? Which months of the year do they usually have best incentives (buy or lease)? Thanks.
    Hi ck90211. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Mazda Miata Sport with an automatic transmission and 15,000 miles per year are .00059 and 45%, respectively. I had to make some assumptions about the term, mileage allowance, and trim level that you're interested in. Let me know if you want something different.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Unlike some manufacturers that have annual sales events, i.e. the Lexus "December to Remember," I don't believe that there is a single best time of the year to lease a Mazda...at least not one that I am aware of.

Car_man
    Host
  • manageoutmanageout Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car Man, what is the res value and MF for 2009 mazda miata with only 12k miles per yr? thx much!
    Hello manageout. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2009 Miata Sport with 12,000 miles per year are .00059 and 47%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
  • acehawkacehawk Member Posts: 22
    How does the leasing company calculate buy out price? I know residual value is involve. Is there some sort of formula involve? Also say if there is cashback incentive for financing, can you take that into consideration when leasing a car?
  • acehawkacehawk Member Posts: 22
    What's the difference between cashback and lease cash? Can they both be combine?
    Hi acehawk. Vehicles' end-of-term purchase option prices are based upon their residual values. Your leased vehicle's residual value is calculated at lease signing and it is used to determine the depreciation portion of your monthly payment. It is based upon a percentage of your car's full MSRP including destination plus the MSRPs of any options that are allowed to be residualized.

The cash incentives that are available on financed vehicles are not necessarily available on leased vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey acehawk. Let's take a look at the incentives that are currently available on the 2009 Miata. Mazda is providing $2,000 dealer cash on this car in October. However, this cash is not compatible with its special lease program. The cash allowance that is available on leases drops to $1,000.

Car_man
    Host
  • neil41487neil41487 Member Posts: 7
    Grand Touring PFHT, Automatic, Premium Package (MSRP $31,750)

I need to know the MF and Residual for 10k, 12k, and 15k miles.

Thanks,
    -Neil
    Here's the information that you're looking for, Neil. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Miata PRHT Touring with an automatic transmission and 15,000 miles per year are .00086 and 48%, respectively.

This car's 12,000 mile per year residual value would be 2% higher and its 10,000 mile per year resid would be 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    CAR MAN:

Please help.
    I can't find ANY information on residuals and Money Factors for an MX5 Miata
    Looking to lease a Grand Touring soft top or hard top for 36 months with 15K.

I know Mazda uses Chase as their "captive" now, so ANY information would help

Thanks
    Hi benzserviceguy. Here's the information that you're looking for. Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring with 15,000 miles per year are .00143 and 48%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • chittuschittus Member Posts: 8
    Hello

I am looking to lease a Miata for 3 years 12K mIles a year. Can you please give me the residual and money factor please?

Thanks
    Hello chittus. Here you go. Mazda's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a Miata Sport with 12,000 miles per year are .00158 and 52%, respectively.

The Miata's residual values vary by trim level. You never mentioned exactly which one you want so I guessed that it is the Sport. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
  • duriandurian Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man

I am looking to lease a Miata for 3 years 10K mIles a year. What is the residual and money factor please?

Thanks
    Hi durian. Mazda's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Miata Sport with 10,000 miles per year are .00139 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • fkongfkong Member Posts: 11
    Hello all. I am seriously considering leasing a Miata. Grand Touring with Power Retractable Hard Top, auto, Premium package and Appearance package. On Mazda's website, the car is $33,240. Carsdirect.com's price is $31k. I am looking at either a 36-month or 48-month lease, with 15k miles/annually. Would something like approximately $1k to $1,500 down, $300 some odd (preferably $300 even) be some realistic numbers? Or should I add some more into it? Thanks! :D
  • sfan10sfan10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, looking at a Mazda PRHT Automatic - Grand Touring with premium package. What MF and residual can I expect for the 2011 v 2012 with excellent credit? Wondering how much they vary. I expect to be under 12K miles per year and looking for 3 year term. Also, what price is the residual based on -sticker or invoice?
    Thanks
    Hi sfan10. Mazda's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 PHRT Grand Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00201 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for it top credit tier.

Mazda is not providing lease support on the 2011 version of this car any longer.

Vehicle's residual values are based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized.

Car_man
    Host
  • sfan10sfan10 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Car_man. Sorry to hear that about the 2011....

Also surprised the MF isn't a bit better; assume that adjusts based on seasonality, etc.? (No need to offer lower when the model is new...likely to have better rates any time soon, e.g. for the holidays?)
  • snaprollsnaproll Member Posts: 23
    Hi Carman,

It appears Mazda has a decent lease on both the 2012 Sport soft top for 24 months and the 2012 Touring PRHT model. Do you know if there is lease cash available? Also, can you give me the residual and money factor for the two vehicles above for 10k miles for 24 and 36 months.

Thanks.
  • sharkie21sharkie21 Member Posts: 14
    I'm also interesting in leasing this car.

Most likely a 2012 touring AT, 10K miles for 24 or 36 months. Can you please provide the residual and money factor Carman!

Thanks in advance!
    Hi snaproll. Chase's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value or a 24-month lease of a 2012 MX-5 Sport with 10,000 miles per year are .00002 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00006 and 51%.

The numbers for the PRHT are .00048 / 59% and .00055 / 50%.

There is currently a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of these cars that you should make sure to take into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go sharkie21. Mazda's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 MX-5 Touring with 10,000 miles per year are .00002 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00006 and 49%.

There is a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of this car right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • snohflakesnohflake Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mr. Car Man. Do you happen to have the current info for the above? Does the trim line matter?

Thanks!
    Hi snohflake. The trim level doesn't matter for the money factor, it's .00011 for top tier customers for all non-hard top Miata models, but the residual values do vary by trim. The 36-month, 15,000 mile per year residual values are 48% for the Touring, 49% for the Sport with manual transmission and 50% for the Sport with auto.

Car_man
    Host
  • _qs_qs Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    Can I get the mf and residual for the hardtop touring and grand touring, with manual, 24 month lease (10k, 12k and 15k if they have it). Do packages (sport, etc.) change the numbers?

Can I also get any current incentives?

Thanks
    For anyone else looking for this info, I believe these numbers are good until sept. 5th:

MX-5 Manual PRHT
    24mo/10k
    mf: 0.00065
    residual: 61%

24mo/12k
    mf: 0.00065
    residual: 63%

1800 lease cash from chase
    Here you go _qs. Through September 4th, Chase's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 Miata Sport with an automatic transmission and 15,000 miles per year are .00013 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 1% higher. The 10k residual value would be 2% higher.

Mazda is providing a $1,900 cash incentive on leases of this car through Chase right now.

The package that the Miata you want does not affect its residual value but it does have an impact upon its residual values.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for sharing, _qs. Just to clarify, this money factor is for the RHT model only. The regular Miata has slightly lower money factors.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the info. A few things:

I'm interested in the manual transmission, does that change the numbers?

The dealer I talked to told me the incentive was only 1800, does this vary by region?

So a 12k/24mo lease of a manual 6sp Grand Touring PRHT should have a residual of 62% and an mf of .00013?

Also, if you reply to this after the 4th, could you post the new numbers and incentives? It seems every dealer I've talked to has either decreased the residual or incentive or increased the money factor

Thanks for your help
    You're welcome _qs. The transmission that this car has should not have an impact upon its residual values.

I'm pretty sure that the cash incentive for leases of this car in September is $1,900.

Chase's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 MX-5 PRHT with 12,000 miles per year are .00067 and 60%.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • josexavierjosexavier Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I just saw that there's dealer cash being offered on the 2012 Miata totalling $3500. Does that mean that I could potentially get a $3500 discount if I purchase the Miata? And could you please let me know whats the Residual on a manual soft top touring?
    Yes, there is $3,500 dealer cash on the 2012 Miata in certain areas right now. In others it's only $2,500. Mazda is not providing lease support on the '12 Miata any longer though. If you really want to lease one, you probably would be better off going with a 2013 model.

If you want to finance through an independent bank or pay cash there's nothing wrong with going with a '12.

Car_man
    Host
  • dbchulidbchuli Member Posts: 2
    Carman,

Can you tell me what the current money factor/residual values are for the 2013 mx-5 club w/hard top.

10k/36months
    10k/39months

thanks.
    Greetings dbchuli. Chase's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 MX-5 Hard Top Club with an automatic transmission and 10,000 miles per year are .00067 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease are .00077 and 51%.

Car_man
    Host
  • teabone13teabone13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

Can you help me carman?

What is the current rate for a 2013 prht club or gt 6spd?

Thank you :)

Tom
    Hello Tom. Chase's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Miata PRHT Club with 15,000 miles per year are .00024 and 52% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2013 PRHT GT are .00024 and 54%.

Mazda is currently providing a $675 cash incentive on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host