Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline Real World MPG Numbers

muggzmuggz Member Posts: 2
What are some of the MPG #'s that some of you are experiencing?

Comments

• gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I'm getting between 19 and 21 mpg consistently. I've achieved greater than 22mpg, but I'll throw that high number out. I'm happy when I break 20 mpg. It's what I expected and I'm happy with it.

If you live in bumper to bumper traffic in LA, you won't be happy.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    21.5 MPG on an all highway trip of 400 miles (just under 1,000 miles total on the odometer currently).
  • bishop0802bishop0802 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me if there is a MPG readout on the trip computer that comes with the nav system?
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Best mileage 18.5 mpg.

Worst 14 mpg.

Average, with Maryland not so bad traffic, 17 mpg.

I have 15,256 miles on my blue Ridgeline
    Can anyone tell me if there is a MPG readout on the trip computer that comes with the nav system?

No there isn't.
  • jparasjparas Member Posts: 2
    Does the fact that the Ridgeline's rear window does not have a rear defroster impose any driving hazards? Please respond as how you deal with this situation. Thanks
    Seagreen1@cox.net
  • jparasjparas Member Posts: 2
    Maybe be a duplicate message - Does the fact that the Redgline does not have a rear defroster pose a problem? How do you handle this situation. Please advise potential owner; seagreen1@cox.net
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    And your question has what do do with gas mileage?
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    I had 22 highway.

19ish city so far
  • gugimanngugimann Member Posts: 11
    i found a way to get better gas mileage, i've been reading other forums and some people say that if u get the cover for the trunk, then you will get better mileage, rite now i dont have it and my best mileage was 22, my worst was 13.5, i have about 6000 miles on it now and its great
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    i've heard people say this or removing the tailgate on a truck.

but some will say it's a myth because if you put a truck in a wind tunel, you will see that the design causes air to flow over the hood and back down past the rear of the car. If you were to lower your tailgate while driving it would actually cause increased drag.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Consumer Reports (CR) tested this 30+ years ago.

Keep the tailgate up. Up the airflow is more efficient that if it is down or removed. And, you should not remove the tailgate because on most trucks it stiffens the sides of the truck - without it the rear sides will start to bend in.

They also tested 'topper' type covers and it just broke even. They thought the added weight overcame any small increase in milage with better air flow.

My guess - a cover would at the best break even. Aren't these covers either fiberglass or thin steel, which has to weigh quite a bit.
  • eddiemeddiem Member Posts: 6
    How fast do drive? That has a huge impact, and I am seriously considering the Ridgeline. (Below 60 mph will get you decent numbers.) Also, do you have a cover for the back? (The tailgate up does actually decrease resistance because it creates a "layer" of air that directs the air up and over the gate.)
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Typically between 60 and 65 mph (occasionally 70 mph). When I posted the 21.5 MPG I was really babying it and not letting the engine rev too much in each gear. I now have 4500 miles on it and for the past couple of weeks have been driving 100 miles a day (95% freeway) between 60 and 65 mph. During this time, my mileage has been right at 20 mpg and I haven't been as conservative with the throttle. My experience with city driving is the Ridgeline is no different than any other mid-size truck's mileage (in the mid-teens). So far I have been pleased with the mileage.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Been getting lower mileage now (15 mpg mix driving, feather footed, used to get 17.5 the past month)that Maryland weather is getting warmer.I haven't use the aircon since it get so chilly in the truck.I thought it's the winter gasoline mix thats supposed to give out low mileage.Anyone care to provide insights.I'm on my 18000 mile, 4 tires inflated at reccomended psi, and same driving style.What gives?

When the gas prices hits $3.50/gallon by December 2006 as forecasted by a relative who dabbles with the stockmarket, I'm saying goodbye to my baby. :sick: By the way he told me that when spring time comes and people get on roadtrips he told me that gas price on the Exxon gas station 1/2 mile from my house will hit $2.75.Guess what it's $2.73. :cry:

Are you guys still enjoying your Ridge despite the pain in the pump syndrome going on? How do you deal with it.
  • toyowner1toyowner1 Member Posts: 8
    Honda said they will put a diesel in the Ridgeline as soon as they can get it to comply with EPA regulation in all 50 states. Lets hope for better MPG.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    gas prices in CA have topped $3.00 for premium - fortunately the Ridgeline takes regular unleaded.

my F150 with it's 35 gallon tank will soon cost me $100 to fill up. gulp :cry:
  • dstromdstrom Member Posts: 13
    After six months and 5500 miles: Average 18.9 local, 21+ highway, 12.7 pulling my pontoon boat or camper. Just finished a 750 mile round trip to Atlanta at 5 mph above the speed limits (65 to 80 mph) and got 22.7. Keep tire pressures up, install a K&N Air Filter.
  • vijimvijim Member Posts: 2
    I am concerned that I only get 13 MPG driving around St Croix. On my 4x4 Ford Ranger I got 18 MPG doing the same driving. I expected more.

Is there any adjustment the dealer can make ?

:confuse:
    I've been experimenting a bit with the Ridgeline. Typically I get around 18 mpg. Lately I've been keeping the rpms around 1900 rpms cruising on the highway which puts your speed around 67 mph. This has increased my mileage to 20.3 mpg including highway and city driving. I don't have stop and go traffic jams in my area with extended idleing. Cruising at 75 - 80 mph will eat the gas. If this were the good old days with the mandated 55mph, I think the RL would be cruising below 1500 rpm, probably getting maybe 22mpg, just guessing. keeping it under 2,000 rpms definitly made a difference.

Traveling at 67 mph is also more enjoyable allowing the use of cruise and just listening to XM radio. Slow down and enjoy life. You'll save a few bucks and maybe lower your stress level as well.
  • vijimvijim Member Posts: 2
    I guess i get the prize for the least effecient Ridgeline. Where I live on an Island 23 miles long and really crumby roads the fastest I travel is maybe 40 mph. Occasional creep up to 50 for a few minutes, but a lot of 15 to 30 mph on the local dirt roads. Just a bad combination I guess. The more conventional trucks in my family Ranger and G Cherokee get 18 mph on the same terrain.
    Could also have something to do with the way you accelerate initially. Your mileage may also improve as the engine breaks in. I have over 12,000 miles on the RL. I think my initial fill ups were around 15-16 mpg.
  • scooter4scooter4 Member Posts: 6
    It seems that people posting to this thread are getting much better mileage, in general, than the Edmunds staff did. Why is there so much of a discrepancy?

From road test:
    Current Odometer: 806
    Best Fuel Economy: 15.9 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 13.7 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.7 mpg
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    On a recent 1,200 mile vacation consisting of city and two lane country driving, our mileage ranged as follows:

Best - 23 mpg
    Worst - 18 mpg
    Average - 21 mpg

Current odometer - 5,147 miles
  • wrascalwrascal Member Posts: 25
    If I can't go the week without filling it up, then I need to stop looking at these things. I typically go 400 miles/week. I was looking at the CRV, but no way will it do this between fillups. I allready have a Pilot, so thats also out. I want the cargo area and range. Thanks, Fox.
    Just drove across 4 states and back 2,000 miles, 2 or 3 people. During day and into early night, weather was extremely hot. A/C set to 73/74degrees, 'trunk' was crammed full of clothes.

At almost 80mph, it gave 17.8mpg.
    At about 70-75mph, it gave as high as 19.8.

I think if you dropped it down to 65, it might return the sticker of 21mpg.

6,000 miles now. This was on original Honda oil.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It seems that people posting to this thread are getting much better mileage, in general, than the Edmunds staff did. Why is there so much of a discrepancy?

From road test:
    Current Odometer: 806
    Best Fuel Economy: 15.9 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 13.7 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.7 mpg

Edmunds car testers (and other magazines as well) tend to be performance minded, and drive heavy-footed. Also, note that they only have two tanks tested here, with only 800 miles on the vehicle.

(Yes, I know I'm replying to a 7-month old post, but I thought i'd wake this forum up!) :)
    I don't know where Edmunds is located, but I bet most of their driving is in 'city' mode, very little on open highway at a constant speed.

This returns low milage.
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Have owned the RTL/SR for 21 months and have had no problems at all.
    Using Castrol Syntex Oil and gas milage has continured to increase over the months.

Have over 23,000 miles and In Town milage is 15-16.5mpg
    Highway, especially Interstate driving at 70mph or around 2,000rpms. Have gotten a high of 23.6mpg.

21-23mpg has been the norm for the last 4 months.

Very pleased with the vehicle !!!!!!!!!!
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Have owned the Ridgeline for 21 months and have no problems with back window, fogging or otherwise.
    Air circulation in the truck is great. For the last few weeks, we have had tons of Rain, temps in 30's----60's.

No Problems!!!!
  • nathanincnathaninc Member Posts: 12
    I just got a 07 RTS. My first fill up was 16.4 gallons and the odometer read 229 miles. It originally had 13 miles when the dealer filled it full. So I was shocked that it was getting 13.1 miles per gallon. I'm going to check the mpg's next fill up just in case the dealer didn't fill the tank all the way.
  • burgdorfburgdorf Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 Ridgeline. I have about 1200 miles on it. With very conservative highway driving (65), I'm only getting about 17 mpg. In the city, again pretty conversative driving, I'm getting 16.

Can I expect my mpg to improve? Other than the MPG, I love my truck.

Sure would appreciate your comments,

Mark
  • wirewizzwirewizz Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a used '06 RTL with 22,000. I've checked the mileage with two tank fulls. The first came in at 18 mpg and the second was over 20 mpg. I bought an aftermarket cold air intake. When I install it, I'll check my mileage again. I'll let you know if it helps.

John
  • burgdorfburgdorf Member Posts: 2
    Thanks --I sure would be interested in your results. I spoke to the dealer today and they were really of no help.

How do you like your truck?

Mark
  • tacoridgetacoridge Member Posts: 17
    Have had mine 21 months and usually get 17 in town and 20-21 on the highway. Probably the best you'll get.
  • fxdonrfxdonr Member Posts: 3
    I have an '06 RTS with 9K miles on it. I use Castrol GTX oil with the stock Air filter and the tires inflated to 33 PSI. I average 17 around town and 21 on the highway. Worst was 15, best was 22. I recently installed a BAK-FLIP tonneau cover, but that has not made any noticeable difference in the milage. After driving Accords for years, paying for more gas is tough, but this truck is great.
  • stevemcdstevemcd Member Posts: 3
    16 best, 13.8 worst - I have 900 miles on my 2007. I do believe it needs to break in and I have been driving so "gently" to get good mpg, I may be missing that engine break in. Also, no highway, all city so far. Major trip next week, will tell more.
    Note: has anyone tried a air intake system to improve mpg?
  • stevecarnutstevecarnut Member Posts: 10
    I asked my salesman point blank are the Ridgelines getting 17 MPG ? I told him I heard some Ridgeline Owners are getting alot less than the sticker. My saleman told me " Hey Honda wouldn't put that number on the Sticker if it weren't True" . So, I bought the Honda Ridgeline and I've had my MPG checked where I purchased it , and guess what? After I told the saleman I heard the Ridgeline is getting Poor MPG , I was Right. 10.896 MPG that's right. 2100 total miles to date and the best tank mileage has not been better than 12 MPG. Honda asked about my driving habits and I said I have not been over 60MPH and the Honda said it will get 16-17 in the city after 5 or 6,000 miles I said I can't afford it. I said buy it back and my salesman said I'm the first one he knows of , that's not getting at least 17MPG. Who do you believe? I'm trading for the Rogue of the CR-V which one , anyone know? Beware about the Ridgeline MPG otherwise it's a very solid great truck that I'd love to keep forever. But the $3.19 per gallon $68.00 fill-up for 11MPG don't work for me. What happen to bomb Irag get cheap oil?
    Look, I've got 16,000 on a 2006. It will consistently get about 13.5 in town and about 19 on steady highway driving at 70-75mph. The top I've see is about 21 on the highway. I keep detailed records, writting down the milage and odometer reading and calculating the mpg on every fillup.

Have you looked at your truck? It is a rolling brick. The front is a big squared off frontend and windshield. Look at the driveline. The wheel, hubs, suspension is pretty major sized stuff.

And, it is 4 wheel drive!!!!!! It pulles a rear driveline and some part of a rear differential all the time!

Exactly what did you expect? What kind of town driving are you doing to get only 11mpg?

You didn't buy a Civic.
  • jonejam18jonejam18 Member Posts: 2
    Since this was my third brand new Honda since 1990, I was expecting the fuel figures to be as represented. My 1990 and 2000 Civics both got (significantly) better than advertised. At the very least I was expecting the 16-20, especially with a 20 mile highway commute. I get about 13-15 with 70 percent highway. That's garbage as far as I'm concerned. As such, I likely will unload the truck. By the way, I've had it since April and have 13,000 miles.
  • shayes2shayes2 Member Posts: 3
    I was concerned about the mileage on my 2008 Ridgeline when the first three fill ups (not counting the one based on the dealer fill up) ran 16 mpg, 16.5 and 17 for a 1200 mile trip. Once I went over 1,000 miles on the vehicle the next three fill ups ran 20, 20.5 and 21.5 for freeway driving at a non-constant speed due to Holiday trafffic. The truck was loaded down due to my relocating to another state. With clothes, iron weights, dishes, tools and etc., I had at least 700 extra pounds plus my 200 pounds. So far I am very satisfied with the mileage. I do have the cargo area cover.
  • dstromdstrom Member Posts: 13
    I'm retired after 45 years in the retail automobile business. One of the regular complaints I receive from customers was regarding poor fuel economy. I found there are a few things that everyone needs to consider regarding this subject as follows:

1. The mileage figures posted on the vehicle are provided to the manufacturers by the EPA. They ARE NOT from the manufacturer. The EPA conducts THE SAME tests on every vehicle and publishes the results for consumer COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY. Manufacturers are required to post these on the vehicle. Don't blame the manufacturer for the figures.

2. Fuel economy is a product of vehicle design, driving conditions, AND the driver's skills and habits. If two different people drive essentially the same vehicle under the same or similar driving conditions and get different mileage results, the difference IS THE DRIVER. In my 45 years experience I have never found a vehicle that I couldn't get to achieve the EPA posted fuel economy results, and I drove hundreds. I used to take customers with me while I drove their vehicle to demonstrate to them how to achieve the maximum fuel economy. Most customers would say, "But I don't (or don't want to) drive that way." Bingo! There's the problem. It's a choice, your choice.

I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 25,000 miles on it. About 1/3 city and 2/3 rural driving. Over those 25,000 miles I've experienced a calculated and recorded 20.3 mpg average. My best was 23.7 on the highway and my worst 11.9 towing my 4,500 pound pontoon boat.

Suggestions, things I have done, to improve economy:

- Inflate the tires to 2-4 psi over specs (36-38 psi) They roll easier.
    - Be sure to use synthetic oil and lubricants. Less friction.
    - Install a low restriction air filter element (K&N or other). Better breathing.
    - Use the heater's "Economy" mode whenever you're not using air conditioning.
    This turns off the AC compressor lightening engine load
    - Use the Cruise Control whenever possible. This eliminates accelerator "pedal
    palpitations" (on and off the gas) which are far and away THE BIGGEST
    "Driving Habit" enemy of fuel economy.
    - Drive the speed limit. OK, I don't really do this but when I do I'm always
    amazed at the improvement in fuel economy (and the decrease in stress)
    Try it.
    And, most importantly,
    - DRIVE "GENTLY." My father taught me this years ago. Coast into traffic
    lights and stop signs. Accelerate slowly. Etceteras.

Good luck, have fun, enjoy.

PS: Did you ever wonder why the top of the Ridgeline's tailgate is a couple of inches lower than the sides? Originally, it was the same height but Honda's windtunnel tests showed that the vehicle's aerodynamics were best with the height lowered (I talked with Honda engineers). In fact the vehicles aerodynamics are best with the tailgate up. Installing a cargo area doesn't help at all. It desn't hurt either.
  • eddiemeddiem Member Posts: 6
    Hello dstrom,

I am a Mechanical Engineer and couldn't agree with and say what you said better!

I looked at and compared the Honda Ridgeline to the Dodge Dakota, and eventually went with the Dakota, primarily because I wanted the manual transmission, which gets slightly better mileage and I could control the shifting. (For all you readers, an automatic trans must work off of hydraulic pressure and guess where the power comes from? The engine! And along with the frictional losses the convenience of not having to shift affords you, by nature it is inherently more efficient. You pay for everything.) But, back to your comments and the subject, I was surprised to learn that my Dakota came with a "computer" that displays among other things, mpg. Resetting it at fillups and never resetting it inbetween, it has been better than 95% correct when comparing the results to my manual methods over the last 7,000 miles. I ordered my Dakota (4x4, Quad Cab, 3.7l, 6-spd man) custom to order, did not get the bigger tires or gear ratios, and have added a cap which did drop the mileage when first installed, but a custom deflector shield, (designed and installed by myself) along with what you stated have allowed me to attain a worst tank average of about 17.5 and a best of 20.7, 20% city / 80% highway driving. It is rated at 16/20. (It was purchased for long trips for my wife and I and our three dogs.) While driving, I find that if I keep the mpg display on, I can gauge my driving habits and see the immediate results on the display. Cold mornings, truck barely warmed up and 10's, 11's and 12's appear if the tank was recently filled. After it warms up, the impact is much less and highway driving shows a steady increase if you keep the speed below 65, (this drives my wife NUTS), use the cruise control, accelerate gradually and, as you stated, have properly (or 2-3 psi slightly above) inflated tires. A good tire gauge is a must.

(Note: Next time you are driving, take a look at other car's tires. You would be surprised at how many people drive with visibly underinflated tires. It doesn't take much to drop the pressure by 3-5 or more psi, and just 3psi is 10% of 30psi! Unless you check them regularly, your's may also be under.)

If your mileage is really off the charts, have the vehicle checked. If nothing is found, look behind the wheel. If it kills you, get/use a smaller vehicle with better mpg when you don't need the truck. Days of cheap gas are over. Higher gas $ are here to stay. Use your head. There are worse things to be upset over.

Eddie
    Fairfax, VA
  • toytruck1toytruck1 Member Posts: 5
    I have read of some owners getting really poor mpg numbers on Ridgelines. Seems odd that Honda would have such wide numbers due to their quality controlled engine manufacture, but...........if you're getting under 11, I guess you would know. I drive mine at mostly cruising speeds in very little stop and go and manage to get 18.5 to 20 mpg consistently. When towing a 3,000 lb. Hi-Lo I get 14.6 consistently, sometimes a bit higher. I would bring tire pressure up to 34 psi all around for starters, and keep the revs below 3,000. Stop and go really seems to affect mileage in these trucks but I have never gotten below 17 mpg. Something is not "kosher" with your RL.
  • roaddog1roaddog1 Member Posts: 18
    Milage check: Highway travel with lots of slowdowns and stops on secondary roads. Temperature: -18 Degrees Centigrade with some snowy roads. Speed was 100kph at cruise. Moderate driving. With the wind. 230 Kilometers
    24.25 MPG (imp) 20.2 (US)

Return trip, pulling empty 5' X 10' utility trailer (500lbs), against the wind. 110kph at cruise. No special measures taken to increase efficiency. Against the wind.
    23.0 MPG (imp) 19.1 (US)

Existing odometer: 48,250 Km (30,156m)

The fuel efficiency of my '06 RidgelineRLS gets better with time and use. This experience is mirrored by my wife's '06 Civic EX which has become more efficient over time and Kms..

I expect my summertime miliage will be better as I will not have driveline drag due to cold temperatures.
  • glemoyneglemoyne Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED NEW WITH 742 MILES ON IT. I'VE BEEN GETTING 16.5MPG AROUND TOWN ON 87 OCTANE GAS. ON THE ROAD I AVERAGE 19 MPG WITH 5000 MILES ON THE TRUCK NOW. MY BEST ON CRUISE AT 72MPH WAS 21.2 MPG. I'M VERY SATISFIED. NOT TO MENTION THE RIDE AND QUIETNESS IS EXCEPTIONAL FOR A TRUCK IN ANYBODYS BOOK.
  • jewillmjewillm Member Posts: 9
    Wow! This is really good information. I am looking at trading my 04 Dodge Ram Q/C 4X4 on either a Tacoma, Dakota, Frontier, Ridgeline. My Ram will get the same or better mileage than reported in some of the posts on here. I think I will go with the Dakota, regardless of how superior Nissan, Toyota and Honda say their vehicles are. Or maybe just stay with the Ram for another couple years.
    Thanks for the insight!
  • kap727kap727 Member Posts: 1
    For the first 1,800 miles I have gotten no better than 14.5 mpg. Now I admit that I routinely drive 70-75 mph. My driving habits are 85/15 highway city. My latest tank I am driving no faster than 62.5 mph with "tame" acceleration :mad: and it does not look like I am going to get more than 160/320 for half and full tank mileage. Honda has a good engine but at this rate, I'm dumping the Honda and going back to the tried and true Nissan VQE in the Murano.

This is my first Honda purchase and I am not happy at all with the gas mileage. My vehicle did sit on the lot for 6 months, so maybe something is up with the air filter being prematurely bad
  • grampaspeygrampaspey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ridgeline with a little over 10,000 miles.

The mileage before the first oil change wasn't much better than my OJ Simpson Bronco with the big V8.

When I had my first oil change at 6500 miles, the mileage went up to 15-18 in town and 20 plus on the road.

It gets better mileage on long road trips with the trunk loaded, the inside loaded and both my wife and I in the front.

We just drove from the wine country to San Pedro fully loaded for a cruise and back. The first tank averaged 23 mpg. The second tank inspite of heavy traffic down 405 and back on 405 averaged 20.5 mpg. Average speed was between 65 to 70 when we were out of the slow traffic. We had the AC on for about 2 hours on the return trip.

It was cold when we left and both front tire lights had the warning lights on re low tires. The Big O guy filled the tires to what was recommended, and he said that we should get better mileage.

I fill it with the lowest price regular gas. There appears to be some variance with the Safeway gas getting the best mileage. The next best mileage is from a generic station on the way to some of my fishing spots. The Costco mileage is all over from the low to a fair high.

A friend of one of our sons has the same 2007 Ridgeline year/color, and his mileage was terrible until his first oil change. He has over 24 k and gets very good mileage in town and exceptional on the road with full loads. He has a friend with over 36 K on his Ridgeline, and his mileage improve slightly to the 30 K and stabilized.
  • jewillmjewillm Member Posts: 9
    I didn't buy the Ridgeline. I didn't buy a Toyota or a Nissan either. All I heard from these dealers was how bad their competition's vehicles are. I bought another Dodge Ram, quad cab 4X4 with the 5.7 litre hemi. It will do anything I ask it to do, while getting 20.8 MPG. And the dealer did not bad mouth any of the imports.