Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• optimusprimeoptimusprime Member Posts: 10
    I am kind of curious about the 07 Tundra. It'll be interesting to see how it all stacks up. Plus, I've carried a lucky-rabbit's-foot in my pocket since I was about 13, so I don't think I'll have any problems there.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Tundra looks to be a monster compared to anything in this forum, and will probably end up a step ahead of the Big Three, like usual. Most "truck guys" will likely stick with what they are used to, though, which is good news for sickly Ford and GM (I use sickly to define their business attributes lately).
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The new Tundra does look very competitive. But it's a full-size truck, not a compact or mid-size. That's like comparing an Expedition with an Explorer.
    yep, what he said.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's not a full-size truck; it's a "super-size" truck, like the current Ram 1500 and F-150.

Toyota teased us at the Chicago show. By that I mean they showed us a vehicle, and gave out very limited specs. This is understandable, since the vehicle's actual launch is 11 months away.

Here's what we know, and don't know:

• Towing 10,000 pounds. This would be best-in-class for a 1/2-ton pickup. But is this a 1/2-ton (as we currently know 1/2-tons)? Most current 1/2-ton pickups have GVWs under 7K, and have payloads in the 1500 pound range. Yes, there are exceptions, like certain F-150s w/8000 GVW option, but this is where most fall.

Toyota historically has always had a pretty decent payload rating on the Tundra, and better than most in this class. So I would not be at all surprised, when all the specs are revealed, that it also has a class-leading base payload, perhaps well over 2K. If that happens, given its new super-size, the GVW would have to be well over 7K, maybe even as high as 8K.

• The model on display at Chicago was NOT the crew cab (even though it looks like one). It was the replacement for the current "extended" cab. That means a larger-still crew (double) cab is still under wraps. My guess is we will see it at either NY or next fall's LA show.

That being the case, the one on display at Chicago is Toyota's answer to the super-size Ram Quad Cab, and the new larger-still double cab will likely match the super-size-plus Ram Mega Cab.

• They mention a new 5.7 engine—but they haven't mentioned as to whether it's a DOHC unit (like the current 4.7 engine), or a Toyota NASCAR-inspired OHV unit?

Here's the link to Toyota's Craftsman-NASCAR truck racing. Note that under specs they "fail" to note that it's an OHV engine, but being NASCAR, you know it is.

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/ncts/specs.html

So might this new 5.7 also be a OHV engine? I find it hard to believe that Toyota didn't build the NASCAR racing truck OHV engine without some future production application in mind.

Bob
    Yea, I pretty much gathered that much. It was startin to get crazy in here. But I was just sayin, because of all that other jazz. Really, if you think about it, eventhough the Ridgey and Tundra are in different classes than the Ranger, I can do things to mine that maybe would be more difficult on those other brands. such as, If I had to, I could drop the tranny, and have a new throw-out bearing replaced, reinstall the tranny, all in about 3hrs. So right there...I got a cheap and easy fix, that I can do all by myself. We made these here chips ourselves. Plus, Consumer Reports didn't rate the Tundra real high. Usually, as a general rule, if Rush Limbaugh and Consumer Reports says it's not real good, then I try to follow their advise. Plus, I even know a guy who bought a Tundra, he says all in all, he's pretty darn happy in it.
    Plus, If you had a 96 Ford Ranger like me do, I can remove the front drive-shaft from the transfer case, pull the spline, and go on vacation up to the beach, and it rides smoother with the benefit of better gas milage.
    I have a lift, so not a big problem to do that. Payload...lets talk about Tundra payload....now this guy I know, thinks it will be more than my Ranger. LOL! I don't know if it's the stuff he's smoking, or that rug-patch on the back of his neck, that's fogging his senses??
    Plus, we always had a Toyota saying that we said when we were drunk...it goes: "Rackin-Brackin - The Toy Was Slackin- Tried to climb thru the valley and up the hill - never made it never will. Rock n Roll all night long- A Stompin Ranger Pullin Strong. All those other trucks may come and go- But my Ranger will kick-[non-permissible content removed] forever - This I know!"
    That was me Billy, Jon, Krieder, Cam, Dolton, and Marty...who made-up that song. That's our truck "fight-song." It's funny, cause Marty and Dalton will jump out of the shower yelling down the hall...let's sing our fight song...Yo...round-up the crew, were headin out to the mud-bogs. So I'm just not sure how these new trucks are gonna stack-up to what we are used to?
    It's funny, cause Marty and Dalton will jump out of the shower yelling down the hall...let's sing our fight song...Yo...round-up the crew, were headin out to the mud-bogs. So I'm just not sure how these new trucks are gonna stack-up to what we are used to?

I'm wondering why they were both in the shower...Is there something they aren't telling you?

And you said Toyota was the truck of sissies (you didn't but its implied).
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    This forum is not for Tundras, and is definately not for lifestyle choice discussions, but while we are off track, I will say that my Tundra was the best of over 30+ vehicles I have owned, 95% of which were the big 3. For every Asian made vehicle I have pulled up the boat ramp, I have pulled 6 big 3 vehicles, even though the ratio at the ramp is usually leaning foreign.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Enough talk of Rangers. I have an '02 Mazda B4000 (Mechanical Ranger clone) and it is a POS that does not compare to the other vehicles in this Forum.

Good thing you can drop the tranny on a Ranger so easily, since the 5 speed auto on mine died at 56K. If you are on uneven pavement and you open a door, you cannot get it closed back because the chassis flexes so much! That is really a vehicle you want to take off road! The LSD was shot at 25k miles. Now if I get one rear wheel on a slick surface I have to hit 4wd (if I am lucky enough to get it to engage) to get the truck to move.

The darn thing rattles, whines, groans (I am running out of words to describe irritating noises) and the interior is tiny and cheaply built (talk about a sea of hard plastic). At 72k miles I am on my third set of brakes, which are about at the end of their life. And no, it is not me, I got 60K our of the brakes of my Isuzu Rodeo that we traded for my wife's Subaru.

So lets quit talking about inferior Rangers and their [non-permissible content removed] offspring (B Series Mazdas). As soon as I can scrape enough pennies together (since the resale value on my truck is practically nil) I am getting a Ridgeline.

BTW, the name of this forum is not let's be rednecks and jack up our compact pickup trucks and drive through deep mud.
    The only reason I started such talk of the Dakota and Frontier, was because of that early on discussion we had. Now granted, the Ridgey and the Tundra are going to try and kick eachother in the rump during the "All-Out Mid-Size Wars," But I still say, you can't count-out the Ranger. Now the new Rangers...they don't make em like the used to. But now lets say you had an older model, like maybe a 1996 Ranger. Then you can talk smack with these new rice-grinders that are foolin people with all their asian smoke and mirrors. Hey... my neighbor is some older guy that was over there in Hong-Kong, during the civil war, so I know how they tend to build stuff.
    That's why we started callin' them trucks the "Dancin' Queens" because during the communist era, they would haul transvestites in and out of Laos, and sneek them into the country for the soilders. Well, anyway..they used all those old Datsuns and such. So my neighbor Randy, made up a song called Dancin' Queen, whenever he sees those rice trucks. Now, where I'm gettin at, is that everytime the lady down the street drives her Ridgey past, he shouts out to her...hey Dancin' Queen. I try to tell him that she's not a transsexual, just because she has one of those.
    Plus, that other guy on this forum made mention of his frame twisting on his Ranger. I'd like to ask you ....do you have a 96 Ranger??? Stop comparing those new trucks to the ones of yester-year, Besides, mine has a "Scott Mitchell" dipped and hardened front I-Beam. So I can tell you now, that there's no twisting going on over here...unless I'm down at the Waterin' Cove on Saturday night, doing the twist with some nice ladies or something. Plus, I'd rather be doing that, than being like you, and doing the Dancin' Queen! Ha ha...lol...
    So, did anyone read the last Consumer Reports issue? I was kinda wondering how they rated the new Ram 1500. I heard, that they're givin it high marks. Probably much better than the 07 Tundra. Man...can't believe they're gonna even make that thing? :lemon:
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Can't we do something with this guy? Like maybe send him back to the Middle Ages.
    I think you'd be better suited to the Accessories and Mods truck boards. Most buyers of midsizers aren't fixing them up to off-road or compete in a tractor-pull of sorts.

Also, why do you even mention the Ram is better than the 2007 Tundra? No one has even driven it. You're just bashing Toyota because it's Toyota. The Tundra has been proven to be much more reliable that the Big Three's trucks in Consumer Reports, I doubt the new one will be WORSE, as you imply.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Probably much better than the 07 Tundra. Man...can't believe they're gonna even make that thing?

I wasn't aware you've driven or sat in the 2007 Tundra?

How do you come to the bases that the new RAM is so much better than the 2007 Tundra?

How about we reserve our judgment until we've actually driven the truck.
    Probably much better than the 07 Tundra. Man...can't believe they're gonna even make that thing?

I wasn't aware you've driven or sat in the 2007 Tundra?

How do you come to the bases that the new RAM is so much better than the 2007 Tundra?

How about we reserve our judgment until we've actually driven the truck.

I agree.

Yes, and once we've driven it, let's put it on the new Tundra versus... forum, not the Midsize forum.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Oops. Now you have touched on a subject of my expertise. I must jump in. Hello everyone. The bottom line is this. A tonneau cover WILL result in better fuel mileage as will a CLOSED tailgate. Do trust me. I have been studying this subject matter for a long time.
    Also, why do you even mention the Ram is better than the 2007 Tundra? No one has even driven it. You're just bashing Toyota because it's Toyota. The Tundra has been proven to be much more reliable that the Big Three's trucks in Consumer Reports, I doubt the new one will be WORSE, as you imply.

That is the reality of these forums. 99% of the people that bad-mouth models that they say they don't like have never driven or even sat in the model. I don't badmouth the Nisaan because I have not sat in it. I have driven the Ridge with it's revolutionary 2 way tailgate that the 73 chevy wagon had, and it would be perfect for my wife because she couldn't figure out how to operate a real 4X4 if she had pictures (which is why she drives an AWD). The Ranger has been the benchmark for midsize trucks for years. I had an 85 (I think) which was an outstanding truck. Mileage was better than the big boys and it fit my needs until I needed to add a carseat to the front seat. Too small then. But the sales numbers do not lie. The S10 has been nothing but a option for the diehard GM owners who wanted a little better mileage. Never was or will be a contender. The Dakota is a decent truck, but never really matched the competition for sales or reliability. The Tacoma and the Toyota truck before it will always be known as the standard for quality in small to midsize trucks.
    I understand what you're saying.

There is a reason I didn't add the Ranger to this particular discussion when I created it, and it's because it is not competitve with these models anymore. They have all grown up to midsize, while the Ranger is still obviously a compact, like that of the 1996 Tacoma or 1999 Nissan Frontier I have driven. I guess that makes since because the Ranger hasn't really been changed in over a decade (unless you count new gauges, lights, and option packages as a re-do. They even have the 2.3L, 3.0, and 4.0, engines, although they are at least more powerful now, in order for them to remain in the pack (although at the back).
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I can't speak for the Ridgeline, but if you were impressed with the power of the Colorado you'd be very impressed with the Taco or Frontier. These two trucks are head and shoulders above the rest on more counts than one. They were both new designs for 2005 so do yourself a favour.
    All of the trucks you speak of here are old models, save for the Colorado.

The Tacoma has 55 more horsepower than the one you last drove (assuming you drove the 3.4L), the Frontier now has 95 more horsepower than the old 3.3L.

Do yourself a favor, drive the others. You will be surprised, at very least, by the power.
    Nobody wants to come out and play!
  • rassom2rassom2 Member Posts: 2
    By the way the Ridgeline is unibody - All the others have full chassis.
    Nope. The Ridgeline has both. Below is a picture of the "frame" under the Pilot. The Ridgeline uses a similar design, but it has channels that are 70% deeper and a few extra crossmembers.

http://tnpv.us/pv/2002/05/16/HON2002051648297_pv.jpg
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    I think he means that the cab and cargo bed are unibody, though attatched to a frame.
    Has anyone heard any more about the lifted Ridgeline that Honda had at the SEMA (I believe) show? Has this truck appeared anywhere else? I am leaning towards a Frontier, but am bummed about how they bundle options with the different trim levels (I cannot get the truck with what I want and not get stuff that I do not want). If Honda came out with a slightly lifted Ridgeline with larger tires and skidplates, I might be sold.
    That truck was never meant for production. It was just a concept. They used a 2" Truxxx lift kit for another model they showed at SEMA. Go aftermarket and you can build what you want.
    That concept, called the "A/T" I believe, I'm sure was there to test market reaction. So I'm hoping that Honda is considering offering something like that in the near future.

If they do, it had better have a 2-speed transfer case, or it will never be taken seriously by off-roaders.

Bob
    As long as it wears a Honda badge, it will never be taken seriously by the off-roaders. So why bother targeting them?

If they did tackle that market, it would require a whole lot more than a 2 speed transfer case. It would need to be decontented to the tune of $5,000. Nobody takes a 30K truck into the woods unless it's a Hummer. In addition to that, it would need an old-school lockable 4WD system. Not necessarily because VTM-4 isn't up to the task... they'd need it because off-roaders are always breaking stuff and need to be able to get cheap replacement parts. A lift kit would get the rig up on its tippy toes, but wouldn't increase the modest suspension travel and (even though the notion is bogus) they'd want a solid rear axle.

By the time Honda did most of that, it would no longer be a Ridgeline.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Nobody takes a 30K truck into the woods unless it's a Hummer.

Well, your mistaken. There are a lot of $30K vehicles taken seriously off-road, and most all of them are not HUMMERS.
    As long as it wears a Honda badge, it will never be taken seriously by the off-roaders. So why bother targeting them?

I couldn't disagree more.

Honda is very well known in off-roading circles, in terms of motorcycles and ATVs. There's absolutely no reason why that same image couldn't also be applied to their trucks.

Honda now offers a very sporty Civic Si, and a 6-speed Accord V6 sedan, something that they would never have offered a few years back. There's no reason they couldn't also offer a sporty off-road-capable version of the Ridgeline too.

The fact that they even showed the A/T concept is evidence that they are testing the waters, to see if there is enough interest in such a model.

Bob
    90% of the vehicles I've seen at Paragon are nearly a decade old. Most take an older model truck and use aftermarket parts to make it more capable. With the exception of the Wrangler Rubicon, they don't buy them off the showroom floor. Some of these trucks might have $30K worth of hardware bolted to them, but they didn't start life that way. Rock-crawlers and mudders don't buy wheelers. They build wheelers.

Most of the trucks I've seen on the trails are Jeeps. Modded Wranglers and Cherokees are the most common. Then the first generation of the Grand Cherokee and the Liberty. I've seen quite a few older Discos and a few Defenders. There are plenty of import trucks as well, but I've never seen a new one. The only brand new 30K+ vehicles I've seen have been Hummers and one new Commander.
    Well, I disagree with you on the reason they've shown lifted Ridgelines. I don't think it's because they are testing the waters. I think it's because they are trying to bolster the man's man truck image. Honda knows that most people don't really use trucks that way. They just want the image. So the show trucks (which have also included street rod versions) give potential buyers something to dream about.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    It won't climb the largest bolders or pull the heaviest loads.

I don't need to pull the front drive shaft to make a trip to the beach. I haven't had so much trouble with the tranny/clutch that I can now change one or the other in 3 hrs.

Not worried about whether something else has a few more or less horses. We rarely use the horses that are there. It has more than enough for our needs. Regular Gas!

We can slide a small boat and lots of camping gear in the back and it takes the 5 of us where we wish to go. It tows the bass boat or camper just fine. The ride is smooth when compaired to the others, thanks to the struts and independent suspension. The ride is roomy and comfortable. Gas millage is respectable. It is a Safe ride according to Government and Insurance testing.

The wife can take it to the nursery and load it down with shubery or to Home Depot or the furniture store and bring home the goods. Recently we were attending a giant craft show and parked on a dirt/grass field. A heavy rain ruined the show, but we were able to drive off that field with nothing more than driving as usual. Many other P/Us and SUVs were not so lucky.

I don't know of any one thing that it excells at. However I don't know of any other vehicle that does so many things as well as the Honda.

Anything you name concerning towing, HP, handling, room, looks, etc., can and is bested by something out there. However for a complete and balanced package the Honda is real hard to beat!

Kip
    This is all true; the Honda is seemingly a perfect compromise for many people. Congrats on your cool ride!
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Let me say up front that I own a Frontier. I went to our local new car show today with my sister as she is wanting a new vehicle.

We looked mostly at SUV's but she really liked the fully loaded black Ridgeline. We could not drive it, but we gave it a very close look.

I felt for her needs that the Honda Pilot was the vehicle to buy, but she liked the Ridgline
    look better.

After going over the Ridgeline carefully I would have to say that it is a very nice truck.
    It would do anything I would ever do with ease.

I thought the back seats were fairly comfort-
    able and the locking trunk was a very nice feature. I also liked the cool air intake snout located at the front of the truck.

The only down side to it was if you had a flat with a load on the truck you would have to unload to get to the spare. I also do not like the high sided bed, it reminds me of the
    Chevrolet Avalanche which I do not care for.

I would still take my Frontier over the Honda, but only because of the cost and I just like the looks of the Frontier. The Honda is every bit as good as the Frontier, maybe even better.

Just my take after looking at a lot of trucks and SUV's today.

OkieScot
    Wow, how refreshing!

Someone who owns something other than what they are talking about, still wouldn't own what they are talking about, but CAN see how others would like it, and that it has good merits.

Congrats to you for having the slightest-opening in your mind. It can be rare on some Honda boards.
    I felt for her needs that the Honda Pilot was the vehicle to buy, but she liked the Ridgeline
    look better.

We have an '03 Pilot that has been a real jewel except for the several recalls. The ride is comfortable and quiet and the gas mileage is something to brag about.

Work is 6.5 miles from our house. There are 8 turns, 5 traffic lights and 3 stop signs. Average weekly mileage is 17-18 mpg. A trip from Atlanta to Indiana driving the posted speed limit, with 2 adults yielded a shade over 27 for the entire trip including sight seeing. A trip to Myrtle beach with 5 adults and driving 70-80 yielded 24+.

Ridgeline is even heavier (I think) and is probably geared differently, mileage not as good.

I would still take my Frontier over the Honda, but only because of the cost and I just like the looks of the Frontier.

I just saw a new midsize Frontier in Black a few days ago. It is maybe the best looking truck on the road today. Definitely more "manly" looking. It also looks more like a P/U is supposed to look.

I'm not crazy about the RL high sides either! For a loaded up family truck the Ridgeline is for us! If She would let me buy a Play/work truck with stick shift just for me, it would most likely be the "NEW" frontier with extended cab.

Have a blessed day,
    Kip
    Ya, I thought that about Toyotas 30 years ago too, but low and behold the early 80s brought Toys that are still running strong and improving daily toward that number 1 in the world status. The same goes for Honda. The vehicle is a novelty at this point, but could be a contender years from now. How about Kia and Hyundai. Everyone thought they would be go the way of the Yugo, but they are taking a good chunk out of the big 3 too.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    kipk,

Thank you for the information, I'll pass that on to my sister.

OkieScot
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Honda is very well known in off-roading circles, in terms of motorcycles and ATVs. There's absolutely no reason why that same image couldn't also be applied to their trucks.

Honda is racing the Ridgeline with only limited modifications to the stock truck in off road events right now.

image">
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=211128&FS=

rest of article at link.

Ridgeline Racing To Tackle Baja

ORANGE, Calif. (March 1, 2006) The Honda Ridgeline, voted Truck of the Year by both the North American International Auto Show and Truck Trend magazine, will tackle the demands of SCORE off-road racing and the harsh environment of Baja California in 2006, starting with the Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250, March 10-12.

Coming on the heels of a class victory in last year's Henderson 400, Gavin Skilton and his California Race and Rally organization will again lead the Ridgeline Racing effort in 2006. Competing in the International Stock Mini Truck class, the Orange, California-based team will focus on the three SCORE events taking place in Baja this season.

By conforming to stock class regulations, Skilton and his CaRR team utilize the stock Honda Ridgeline platform, with only limited modifications permitted to the suspension and engine, in addition to required safety-related items such as the roll cage, radios, H.I.D. auxiliary lighting and fire suppression system. The CaRR Ridgeline runs on 33-inch B.F.Goodrich tires specifically designed for the demands of off-road racing.

The competition Ridgeline has been developed by CaRR with additional input from engineers at American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

"Competing in Baja is an excellent test for the Ridgeline, and one we feel confident will demonstrate the full capabilities of Honda's new pickup," Skilton said. "Limiting ourselves to the Stock Mini Truck category will prove the quality of construction and off-road abilities of the Honda design, as demonstrated by our victory last year at the Henderson 400. This year, our goal is to win in Baja."

A winning competitor in off-road racing, CaRR has previous class victories in both the Baja 500 and 1000, and has also competed in the famed Dakar Rally and the cross-continent Australian Safari Rally. The Honda Ridgeline project debuted in the Experimental Truck category at the 2005 Baja 1000, followed by a class victory in the Henderson 400 in December.

California Race and Rally 2006 Schedule Highlights:

Date Event
    March 10-12 Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250
    June 2-4 Tecate SCORE Baja 500
    November 15-18 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, Ensenada to La
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    That alone would strike it off many people's lists, including mine.
    Thanks for the link, and yes, I was aware of this race effort. I still think that Honda will offer a Ridgeline trim level geared at those who are off-road oriented. I think they have to, or the Ridgeline will never be considered by those who take their trucks off road.

Once you get away from the suburban areas, you will find that a lot of pickups are used off road. Honda will never get those customers unless they have something (convincing) to offer them.

Bob
    I am not a rock crawler. However, both work and recreational activities take me on rutted woods roads, non maintained USFS roads, and the good old Georgia mud.

Now I know that the regular Ridgeline would probably work for me most times. And I know that if I wanted I could get a kit to lift it, put bigger tires and wheels on it, change to computer so the speedo and odometer work right, potentially mess up the ABS and stability control, and void the warranty (hey, all of a sudden this is not sounding so good).

Right now I like the Ridgeline, but I am leaning to a Frontier Crew Cab (probably NISMO). All I am saying is that if Honda had some kind of off road package, that might sway me to the Ridgeline. And while I know the hard core rock crawlers would never want a Ridgeline, I think that there might be enough folks in my position to justify an off road version raised about 2", with slightly bigger and more aggressive tires (265/70 maybe) which would raise the truck some more, a low range and with some skid plates.
    I don't doubt that Honda could sell a few more Ridgelines if they offered a real off-road package. But I doubt these would go to off-road enthusiasts. The hardcore folks will go for something cheaper which they could modify into something even more capable.

These trucks probably would sell to people who never venture off-road, but want to look like they do. In which case, Honda could probably sell just as many by slapping some offroad decals on a unit with bigger tires and no other significant upgrades.
    Agreed!!

Probably more than half the time it is about the LOOK.

Truth be known, an Odyssey would serve my family better than the Pilot or Ridgeline, 99% of the time. More room, better ride, and a bit more fuel efficient. However there is that 1% when a more trucklike vehicle is needed. So the compromise. (ALSO, a mini-van looks that way 100%) :cry:

We do try to maintain a certain degree of "MAUCHOISM" here!! :shades: Don't we!

Kip
  • gugimanngugimann Member Posts: 11
    everyone i talk to about the truck say that it looks horrible, the front end is ugly, but i think its fine, i heard that honda is going to change the front end and maybe try for a V8 in the truck, i read this in an article and now i cant find it, anyone else hear of this?

with this, they ridgeline can have a better competition with other mid size trucks
    Honda has tested the Ridgeline with another company's V8 under the hood. Not because they plan on using someone else's engine, but to see how well the chassis handles the extra weight.

However, Honda is rumored to be building a V8 in 3-5 years. We won't see that for a while.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Im teally torn between the two. I like what Honda gives you(features and accs) and the added space. Tacoma is better looking, better 4wd system, better engine (I feel), and a couple other little things I like about it. 2 young kids, 95% on-road travel, live in NH (snow). Without a huge debate, thoughts? Give me some a few plus and minus reasons for both?
    I think the Ridgeline makes for a better "family" vehicle, and the Tacoma a better "work" vehicle. Judging by your post, I would say the Ridgeline would make more sense for you.

Bob
    I agree with rsholland The RL might be a better bet for family use.

There are many factors to consider when choosing a vehicle.

What will it be used for most of the time?

When considering one for mainly transportation, safety should head up the list. Height verses width for better or worse roll over control. Number and placement of air bags. Whether or not it has stability control, and of course crash test results. Adequate power, not necessarily the most power.

Next would be comfort. Support of the seats. Enough room for everyone, and environmental control. Ease of getting into and out of. Is the ride stiff and "JOGGY" or more car like?

Economy of operation. Is it designed to run on regular and will do even better on premium or is it based on premium and will do OK on regular.

Maybe the most common sense approach would be: Is it a good family vehicle and fairly good truck? Or is it a good truck and a fairly good family vehicle.

The Frontier, Tacoma and Ridgeline should all have good resale value when time to trade.

A stated earlier, if the only consideration was me, it would be the 4X4 Frontier extended cab, stick shift, V6 in black, dark green or red. However for my real world the Ridgeline is a better choice.

Everything is a compromise. If the vehicle doesn't satisfy the family needs, it won't be around very long.

Kip
This discussion has been closed.