Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Here's another comparo, with different results. There is not a clear winner in the midsize field, best I can tell. The different trucks have different focuses, better at some things while not others.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/9470/do-it-all-compact-pickups-page7.htm- - l
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    At the risk of being cynical I dont believe you got 22.46 mpg.

Having owned a 2003 Tacoma 4WD Xcab TRD for over 3 years I'm very familiar with the truck.

When you say "thats all around driving stop and go,highway,offroad too. If I clean my TRD airfilter could possibly get to 23mpg US" the BS meter goes off scale.

15-17 mpg in city and 18-21 highway is the typical mpg for a 4WD V6 pre-2005 Tacoma from my experience and it mirrors the experience of other Tacoma owners on other boards.
    American Honda has set another record month in sales for April, making this the fourth consecutive record month in company history. This record was led by its light truck sales, inlcuding the Odyssey, CR-V, Pilot, and Ridgeline Pickup, which all set individual monthly sales records.

It seems Honda knows what its doing, even if we always don't, eh?

Here's the link to the information and data:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/05/02/005420.html
    Ridgeline Sales and Review

The Honda Ridgeline is the pickup truck for you if you're not sure you really want a pickup truck. I'm being facetious, of course, but not very.
    The Ridgeline's sales were slow early on, however, partly because it was over-priced. In recent months, though, dealers have been discounting the truck (which is unusual for a Honda (HMC) product), and the average selling price has come down steadily, from $33,579 a year ago to $29,500 in recent weeks, according to J.D. Power.

Sales are starting to climb as a result: Honda sold 5,344 Ridgelines in March, up 37.9% from the same month last year

The other big negative for me is that the Ridgeline is pretty ugly, especially from the side.

Anyone able to provide sales numbers for April for all the trucks compared here? The sales numbers for the non-truck are already in this post.
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    Mitsubishi Raider 3.7liter V6 210hp 14-17mpg city,19-22mpg highway,also available in V8 I'll save you some time and quote it from Car and Driver magazine for you.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The only driving talked about was slalom, 0-60, qtr mile, ect... That is hardly data to use for observed MPG data. Maybe I missed part of the article.
    The trucks were gauged on everything from off-road ability to acceleration with 1,000 pounds of sand in the bed. They were driven on the open highway, twisty mountain roads and in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The overall winner might surprise you, because it certainly surprised us.

The only driving talked about was slalom, 0-60, qtr mile, ect... That is hardly data to use for observed MPG data. Maybe I missed part of the article.

Did you read the comparison article?

Tacoma owners should enjoy it, Tacoma was rated number 1 overall.

Frontier was ranked Number 1 Fun to Drive, Number 1 Engine Performance, Number 1 Transmission, Number 1 Braking....

They are both great trucks, and features and value were the deciding factors that I chose a Frontier NISMO CC 4WD over a Tacoma.

If the Ridgeline was not so darn ugly, so darn expensive and if it offered an off road package, I would have probably purchased it.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Some Fronty owners are only averaging 11-13mpg,s that rots while my Taco gets 21.45mpg"

Are you sure you know how to correctly calculate MPG? It seems as many people calculate MPG calculate as they incorrectly calculate net worth. :surprise:

My '05 Access Cab V6 4x4 6 speed, with a fresh air filter and Mobil 1 5w-30 averages about 17-17.5 in mixed driving, and I'm far from a stoplight racer. On a recent 60-70 MPH, 4 hour, all highway, all ~sea level, no traffic trip from Central CT to Provincetown, MA, it did 18.7 on 10% booze blend.

I have MPG data in my Quicken transaction "comment" field for every fill up since 52 miles, and I'm now showing 9700.

Do you have aftermarket tires? Have you GPS or otherwise verified the odometer?

Since the DC is slightly heavier than my AC, and Edmunds got 14.5, 21 1/2 in mixed driving sounds like a stretch...
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Hey Moparbad 06 Nissan Frontier 4x4 KC auto, my 1st fillup said 11.7 less then 300 miles, last fillup if Critter cyphering is right 17.3 @ 1179 miles on truck. Now I don't do much city driving mostly rural roads few stops moderate speeds 50 and under. Not great,but comfort wise from 94 xe 4x4 shortbed it's like Heaven. 06/06 Frontiers miles ahead of old models. Will check back, Is Sugar still around? :)
    ustazzaf! I bought new 87 Ranger XLT regular cab 4x4 w 5 speed 2.9 V6, Truck was pretty good up till 50k then all of the do-do started,Bosh injection started giving trouble.Rear went out locked up bolts backed out on maincaps and got in gears,transfer case chain went bad.
    Injection/Germany Rear/Mexico Tranfercase/Japan. Got rid of it at 79k never looked back. Point, mine was a Lemon for me,others swear by the little Rangers.Brotherinlaw got over 200k out of his 87 Ranger. You never know!
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    NONE of the above has anything to do with the Canyon truck
    That stinks if you get only 17-17.5mpg allaround,what you got a cinderblock on the accelerator? The facts are for ME is that I got 22.46mpg on my most recent mileage check this was after replacing sparkplugs,changing oil(synthetic),replacing axles and transfer case oil to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 synthetic gear oil,using TRD freeflow air filter(dirty),and using sensible driving habits(cruise control,no off the line jackrabbit starts,or racing and blowing away Frontys on the highway. Yes I have GPS and Yes my speedometer is right,no I dont have aftermarket tires still stockers,and of course I know how to calculate my gas mileage. By the way how do you calculate net worth? You should check your numbers and net worth mine are fine. :D Sorry to hear about your badluck :P with MPG's betterluck next time.
    Still lurking about,and ready to savage anyone who doesnt fall in line with my Toyota Tacoma ruling the light truck world doctrine! Go ahead make my day! :mad:
    So the truth finally comes out a disgruntled 2003 Tacoma owner buys a Nismo now you have a bone to pick with Toyota,one question why did you get rid of the 03 taco? And #2 This is a quote right off the owners sticker of my 2004 Taco TRD v6 4x4 Auto gas mileage 13-19 city,19-22highway,and quote: Actual mileage may vary with options,driving habits and vehicles condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between. 13-19city,19-22highway. For comparison shopping all vehicles classified as STD. PICKUP have been issued mileage ratings ranging from 10-24mpg city and 12-29mpg highway.Unquote Tell us why you got rid of your 03 Taco and got the Nismo pretty please with SUGAR on top. :surprise:
    This isn't a "Canyon-only" thread. I created this particular thread several months ago, and included all of the models from the latest comparison test I had read of midsize trucks, in which the so-called "rice burners" beat out the domestics, taking spot number 1, 2, and 3, leaving 4th place to the Dodge Dakota and 5th place to the Chevy Colorado (Canyon clone).

Create a thread to meet your needs if you like, a host will likely be happy to assist you, as they did me.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I had a 2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 6cyl.
    I now have a 2005 Frontier 4x4 6Cyl.
    If I had not rolled my Tacoma, I'd still have it.
    It got nearly identical mileage as compared to my Frontier.
    While it had "only" 190 HP, it was plenty.
    However, the engine in the new Nissan blows the OLD tacoma engine away. The 2005 Tacomas were on my list, but all things considered, I opted for the Nissan. I do not prefer the Tacoma styling, and in this area, to get what I wanted, the Tacoma was about $2000-3000 more.
    I like the look of the Colorado/Canyon, but I think the engine is a little behind, and I have to question reliability. My first pick in the "American" arena would have been a Dodge, I think. Even though the Ranger is outdated, they are respectable trucks.
    My Nissan was made in Tennessee, which is Why I put "American" in quotes. There is so much overlap between American and Foreign vehicles now.
    Good luck to all with their trucks.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The trucks were gauged on everything from off-road ability to acceleration with 1,000 pounds of sand in the bed. They were driven on the open highway, twisty mountain roads and in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The overall winner might surprise you, because it certainly surprised us.

I went back and checked again. I did not see any kind of info on how many miles were in town, on the highway or 4Xing. Would make a big difference mileage wise.

Did you read the comparison article?

Tacoma owners should enjoy it, Tacoma was rated number 1 overall.

Frontier was ranked Number 1 Fun to Drive, Number 1 Engine Performance, Number 1 Transmission, Number 1 Braking....

Ya, Nissan had more rebounds and assists, but the score at the end was in Toyotas favor....

Where di dthey get a 8100 pound towing capacity for the Taco? I have never seen it above 6500.

They are both great trucks, and features and value were the deciding factors that I chose a Frontier NISMO CC 4WD over a Tacoma.

If the Ridgeline was not so darn ugly, so darn expensive and if it offered an off road package, I would have probably purchased it
    So the truth finally comes out a disgruntled Tacoma owner

I didn't know you were disgruntled sugar! What is wrong with your gruntle?

Take your Tacoma to your dealer, I'm sure they can fix that gruntle.
  • greathannygreathanny Member Posts: 17
    I am interested in the Ridgeline, but my male ego is second guessing. It seems that whenever I see anyone driving a Ridgeline it almost always is a middle aged to elderly woman. Just noticed a resale Ridgeline in the paper, and when I called to ask about it an 82 year old woman answered and said it was her truck. Are there any middle aged men out there buying this truck? Have others noticed this same coincidence?
    I looked @ Ridgeline it wasn't for me. Seemed more suited too Suburban lifestyle. The price I thought was excessive also, to Fancy for Surf fishing on NC Outer Banks. It came down to Tacoma @ Frontier, both would work fine. But Frontier won on value and bang for my buck $$$. Apples & oranges take your pick!

Fish'in Critter!!! :)
    "You should check your numbers and net worth mine are fine. Sorry to hear about your badluck with MPG's betterluck next time. "

I was under the impression your truck was an '05-'06. Since it's not, the comparison is silly.
    No gruntles here I am not searching the web for answers to my (I dont know what truck to own profile?) Whats better Ridgeline or Nissan I dont know I'll let Edmunds.com decide for me,lets read Car and Driver magazines article on whats better that will help me decide,I already know who makes the better truck I've owned three and have been very happy with my results. And you still haven't stated why you sold the 03 Taco probably because you never owned one in the first place,all I can tell you is Butch Up and try making your own decisions. ;)
    Nothing is silly if you like getting 17.5mpg from your truck when you should be getting 20.50mpgs,thats not a silly comparison your truck is rated to get more mpgs than mine but mine gets more than you and thats sad :cry: .You can always trade it in for a Fronty thats a way better truck at a way better price and wont kill you at the pump,and handling is great tough truck shootout winner too,why did you buy a Tacoma instead of the Fronty anyway? :)
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    I am a 34 old male and I purchased a Ridgeline in December 05 and have enjoyed 6K of trouble free miles. Most of the Ridgelines I have seen here in California have been driven by male drivers. I shopped the Nissan and Toyota before purchasing the Honda and liked each vehicle; however, I felt the Ridgeline had the edge due to the type of driving I do (mostly highway with a few trips to Home Depot), the standard safety features, and the interior room. I must admit that I wasn't sold on it when I first saw it, but became convinced once I test drove it and checked out its features. Good luck with your decision!
    Beanctr - Thanks for the reassurance. I feel the same way. I am not wild about the exterior, but the driving experience is outstanding.

P.S. As a beancounter, I assume you love the Ridgeline because you were able to take the 179 deduction? :) I am a 38 year old tax lawyer.
    "why did you buy a Tacoma instead of the Fronty anyway?"

Past experience with Toyota and Nissan trucks.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    It hasn't been so many years ago that most P/U trucks had evolved to basically flat lines across the hood from fender edge to fender edge. The grills were shrinking in height. Then in the mid 90s Dodge introduced the "NEW LOOK" with the NEW RAM P/U! Seems like that was in 1994.

Many loved it because it reminded them of a Freightliner road tractor. This thing looked like a TRUCK!

Others hated it with the bold grill and the hood that was higher than the fenders. The slightly bulged area (MUSCLE LINE) above the rear fender wells. Flat sides and straight lines were not a part of the new Dodge Rams. What in the world were they thinking.

I had always been a fan of the Chevy Silverado. But this NEW DODGE took guts on behalf of Chrysler. I bought a Dodge Ram in 96 and another in 98.

Look at the P/Us of today. Higher hoods than fenders, bold grills, muscle lines. Are they more tasteful than Dodge? They are to some, but not to others.

I look at the Ridgeline in the same way. Some love it while some don't. It definitely looks "different"!

It IS different. It does some things better than any other pickup . Period! Some things it doesn't do as well. It has a target and attracts that target very well.

It will do everything that 99% of "Family" P/U owner require. It is not a heavy duty towing truck and not a rock crawler. It will tow that Bass boat or the small to medium campers. It will being the goods home from Home Depot or Pike Nursery. If necessary,it will get you through the mud or snow. Meanwhile it will carry 5 folks in comfort near that of a sedan. Chances are that real world fuel mileage is also better that the other V6 or V8s. These are things that 99% of "Family" P/U owners really want and need.

I like the look of the Ridgeline, except for the area connecting the bed and cab. But the more I look at it I don't think it would look right if it was squared off like all the others.

It went after the typical family. It does that better than the others. So why not look different? :)

Kip
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I like the look of the Ridgeline, except for the area connecting the bed and cab. But the more I look at it I don't think it would look right if it was squared off like all the others,

I suspect the tapered rear fender line (from roof to tailgate) is structural, much like the flying buttress on the Avalanche and the sport bars on the Baja are. Since the bed is part of the body, unlike "normal" pickups, I think that is needed for extra strength and/or bracing.

Bob
    Goodluck with the Ridge,Honda's are hard to beat. Wife's got 04 CRV and loves it! My only reservation was the AWD system for running sany beaches,sometime you run into real lose sand,then 4-low comes in handy. But the Ridge is a real fine vehicle. Have FUN!

:)
    Could you please enlighten us to your previous bad experiences with Toyota and Nissan trucks and what are you rolling in now?
    What is the 179 deduction? And why does it apply to Ridgeline.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    My sister just bought a Ridgeline and although I do not like the looks of it as well as the Tacoma or Frontier I think it was the right choice for her.

I think it would better if they bought the tailgate up to the same height as the side rails and if they would put a better looking grill in it.

My brother-in-law wants to put a 1954 Pontiac grill in it. That might be just the ticket if he can get it to work. That might also give you a clue as to how old we are.

okieScot
    Sugarman1 - For business owners, it is the idea that you can write off $25K in the first year in which it is placed in service (with, of course, other requirements). Historically, only very large vehicles with a GVWR over 6000 qualified for the large expensing election (such as Suburbans, large trucks, etc). The Ridgeline has a GVWR of 6050 -- so it qualifies and you don't need to drive a monster truck or SUV. Trust me - it was not mistake that Honda designed the Ridgeline to barely exceed the 6000 GVWR threshold in order to capture buyer's that are tax driven. The Tacoma and Frontier do not qualify. By the way, a couple of other vehicle of interest to buyers who want to qualify for the deduction without needing to drive enormous vehicles are the Lexus GX470 and 4Runner (4wd/V8 version).

What are your thoughts on the Ridgeline?

Disclaimer (of course) - talk to your own CPA/Accountant about the details and requirements.
    Wow thats pretty crafty,if I were a business owner I would go the Ridgeline route if I were in the market for a company vehicle SUV/Truck primarily because of the fuel savings Ridgelines mpgs are probably nothing to holler about but it probably beats V8 powered SUV's although as a business fuel is also a tax writeoff.
    "Could you please enlighten us to your previous bad experiences with Toyota and Nissan trucks and what are you rolling in now?"

(2) previous Toyotas, 300,000+ in each, except for replacing a seat (not Toyota's problem, I ripped it with tools), nothing but joy. I beat the HELL out of those trucks. They were easy to maintain, fun to drive, and dead dependable. I drove both to the junkyard.

(1) Nissan Frontier, purchased because I thought Toyota's were too high priced at the time. Got a _great_ deal (dealership was moving across the street - no room, they were renting parking lot space all over town). It was a GREAT looking truck, Fiesta Red w/ chrome, alloys, and NO decals.

One of the few vehicles I sold without running it into the ground. PITA to self-service, construction quality not even close to Toyota (packing tape on underhood harnesses, cheesy body clips, etc...) wierd emmissions related problems nobody could find, several recalls. When it was two days old, the windows wouldn't roll up over 35 MPH, due to air flow sucking them outward. Three trips to dealer to resolve. Sold the Nissan after 50 months and only 39k, but I was happy with the resale value. This and a Subaru Outback were the only two vehicles I've not driven to the grave.

Today - I'm in an early 2005 Tacoma V6 TRD Offroad 4x4 Access Cab. I got caught with noisy leaf springs and the cab mount rattle, but missed the very early water leak. The springs really weren't a big deal, the service manager _offered_ to fix it when I mentioned them in passing during a conversation about the under-cab rattle. I'm impressed with Toyota's ability to make running changes to the line, as the issues I had were identified, solved, and didn't affect later builds. I've had Jeeps built _10_ years apart with the same problems (rear brake cylinders). :cry:

Both '05 Tacoma issues were fixed by the dealership with zero hassle. Radiant Red paint is flawless after 14 months. The truck is the best of 20+ vehicles I or my wife has ever owned. My only minor complaint is with the 6sp shifter, I plan on installing a short shift kit. Salesman lets me run it through the dealership wash twice a month, and parts dept. sells me accessories for online price and OEM oil filters for $4.

While I was shopping, I easily could have again purchased a Frontier for less than the Tacoma. The current Frontier displayed some of the same corner cutting as my other Nissan, but looked better than it used to be. Chose to wait 6 weeks and pay about $1200 more for a similar Tacoma, and I'm still very, very happy.

I think the Frontier is nice, I just thought the Tacoma was a tick better. Both are milleniums better than a Colorado or Ranger!

You payz your money... ;)
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Good eye opening post!!! Of course it is possible that you got a lemon with the Nissan.

But it is very hard to fault the 300,000+ miles you put on the Toyotas. Obviously Toyota builds a rugged and reliable Truck. :)

Kip
    I agree with you completely Toyota has always been ahead of Nissans in looks,performance,on/offroad capabilities,its the total package and for the total package you have to pay a little more why mess around with a plastic Nismo when you can get a Tacoma beauty. :shades:
    I agree with you completely Toyota has always been ahead of Nissans in looks,performance,on/offroad capabilities,its the total package and for the total package you have to pay a little more why mess around with a plastic Nismo when you can get a Tacoma beauty

Is there any fact in here, or just opinion (there's nothing wrong with opinion, we all have them, but just wondering where you get the idea of better performance and on/off road capabilities).

Also, is there a need to put down the Nissan trucks and buyers (plastic Nismo)? Just seems a little out of line, but that's just MY opinion.

If anything, a lot of people (myself included) give credit to Nissan for spicing up the styling and creating it's own design language,

while others remain fairly bland (I like Hondas, but the Ridgeline isn't stylish, and personally, Toyotas are bland to me, and the hood scoop just screams rice-rocket). I realize neither truck is "exciting", but Nissan is the more exciting of the two IMO.image
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Thanks Nissan for the stylish roof rack and the half size rear doors with those cool 2 piece windows.Do those rear windows go up and down or are they just for show?Maybe a rice grinder hood scoop would be nice?
    Hey, I'm the one who said styling was not something anyone could be derided for...I didn't say the Nissan was beautiful, just more interesting than the Toyota (which I do actually like, my friend from h.s. has a silver V-6 Double Cab Pre-Runner that I like).
    Maybe a rice grinder hood scoop would be nice?

2005 Tacoma 4.0L V6 245HP 283 lb/ft torque
    2006 Tacoma 4.0L V6 236HP 266 lb/ft torque

9 fewer horses on the '06, where did they go? Are they hiding in the hood scoop?

Maybe Tacoma needs that hood scoop for that premium unleaded sucking, premium performance 4.0L V6?
    Taco Envy Volvobad?If you work real hard,maybe someday you'll be "Moving Forward."
    Thanks Nissan for the ....half size rear doors with those cool 2 piece windows.

Rear Headroom (in.)
    Tacoma 35.2
    Frontier 38.7

Rear Legroom (in.)
    Tacoma 28.2
    Frontier 33.6

Rear Shoulder Room (in.)
    Tacoma 57.7
    Frontier 58.3

Rear Hip Room (in.)
    Tacoma 53.6 Frontier 58.0

Frontier has more space for passengers in the rear seat than Tacoma. Half size doors...LOL!
    Why do the doors look so small and why don't you buy a Fronty?LOL HAHAHA
    This topic is stuck in the mud.....like a Tacoma! :shades:

I bet a Volvo wouldn't get stuck in that mud.
    It's called new testing procedures...Toyota and Honda beat Nissan to it. They will be required soon on all automakers, but Honda and Toyota went ahead and decided to be upfront about it.
    Has anyone noticed that the Dakota NEVER gets mentioned in these threads? :P

It seems like folks either love or hate the Ridgeline, will argue Toyota / Nissan to death, and seem to agree that the GM entry is a step down (but it is quite a bit cheaper), and that the Ranger needs to be updated.

No one ever mentions the Dakota.

Then I realized that when I was truck shopping last year, I spent all kinds of time (hours!) with the Toyota and Nissan, drove two Ridgelines(An extra foot of bed vs. a real back seat killed it for me), did a quick but decisive drive of a Colorado, drove right by the Ford and Mazda dealers, but totally forgot the Dakota existed.

We all have our own needs, options, and tastes, but where are the Dakotas?
    Just is! Time will sort out the rest on new 05/06 Toys/Fronty's! I will post my experince with Frontier good or bad. :)
    If Dakota got better marks I would have looked hard,like body style. But to many problems documented in Consumer's Report for me. Now if Jeep ever makes the Gladiator P/U, I have to look for sure. It's cool concept.

Fish'in Critter! :)
This discussion has been closed.