Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• jsteph1jsteph1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some information too. I just program my 05 Z71 and got some good results but looking for more information in the rev limits and transmission shift points.

you have any luck?
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
    This applies to all vehicles...not just Chevy.

Honestly guys, what is the point of those huge, loud exhaust pipes? Especially the ones that sound like there's water in them. The U.S. has enough noise pollution with subwoofer bass and now more noise.

The reason neighborhoods are not zoned commercial is to keep a sense of quiet and calm which we all need after a stressful work day. Now, I can't walk outside without hearing a neighbor's truck roaring by sounding like a dump truck or eighteen-wheeler.

And it's now constant, all day, all night. I'm starting to hole up in my house on the weekends even though the noise comes through the walls.

Why can't STEALTH become a new thing on vehicles? This has affected so many lives in a negative way now. The sounds of nature are a thing of the past in my life.
  • 03chevy03chevy Member Posts: 5
    does any one know the cheapest most reliable way to make a 4.8 beat a lightning? who has done it and what mods do you have. I have a 2003 4 door 4.8 arrival blue ss clone. ARE intake, magnaflow exaust, and super chips programer and i removed the MAF screen. The truck only runs in the low 15's now.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Forget it unless you are willing to add a supercharger and NoS.
    Well the ford does have a supercharger wich came factory , cant believe chevy never done it to keep up. and i have thought of a supercharger along with the dry nitrios added.

Sorry host a lil off topic.
    I thought dodge was beat out by ford too?
  • seamon88seamon88 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy dust caps (silver) 5 lug nuts and My front head light is loose. I need help fixing it and buying the spring. I already have the screws just i guess i need a spring? and where can i buy these? besides ebay
    -Ryan
  • seamon88seamon88 Member Posts: 2
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Have you tried AUTOZONE, PEP BOYS, etc ?????

Rocky
  • happyzonehappyzone Member Posts: 2
  • happyzonehappyzone Member Posts: 2
    For anyone that can help, I am searching for a used truck cap/shell for my husband's 1996 Chevy 1500 series truck with an 8-foot bed. Thankyou
  • chevymike69chevymike69 Member Posts: 4
    What is the price range I'm lookin at for a body lift done at a shop?
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    Why would anyone want to lift a 4x2???

Just curious.
    Just for looks and I wanna put bigger tires on...no mountains in L.A. But seriously, do you really think every lifted truck you see is a 4x4???
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    Yep, here in Minnesota they are.
    Cool...More a necessity there. I lived in Oregon for a while so I know what you mean.
  • id_rigid_rig Member Posts: 2
    I was cruising the Outlaw Power website for and intake system to get better MPG for my Silverado. They said customers report a solid 1 mpg improvement and even more power and torque as a bonus. The link to the intake system for our trucks is here: http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1274 They are ARB 50 State Legal too.

Well, I found this cool dyno video of the new Super Duty, it's good to know what we are up against at a stop light :)http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1474 The dyno video is at the BOTTOM of the page.
  • id_rigid_rig Member Posts: 2
  • sombod99sombod99 Member Posts: 1
    First of all

Ditch the Hypertech. Deprogram your truck and sell the hypertech on ebay. Then, go to Westers garage for a replacement PCM. Leaps and bounds better than a hypertech.........truct me, i did it and will never look back. This Westers guy is amazing. The install takes 20 minutes and is so worth it I can't say it enough

Beyond that, As far as taking out a Lightning, you WILL need to supercharge your chevy absolutely..........or have twin turbos installed. Pulleys, Cold air intake, headers, 3 inch exhaust, a new cam, lower it for better wind resistance profile. After that, its just tiny steps to get you where you want to be. Whether you can take a lightning after that is up in the air. Maybe, maybe not. A shift kit is essential also. If you are looking to run a quarter or thereabouts, replacing the Z71 gear with a 4.10 will get you running. it will kill your mileage but its better than the stock 3.73 for your purpose.

I've read of people working an exhaust with a shortcut that is manually enacted. Basically, when you want to run, bypass the cats and the muffler and the 7 feet of exhaust piping. Its just a simple install upstream of the cats that can open on demand. Makes your [non-permissible content removed] loud as all getout but will make your truck run like a scalded ape

beyond all that, good luck brother................if you fall short, you can look into better heads and consider a valvetrain that won't burn out on you after a few runs. You are at a disadvantage if you have the 4.8. Obviously the 6.0 is the way to go and the 5.3 is also a better option to start with. You can bore the 4.8 out. But after doing all this, make sure you have someone that understands how to repair your truck and that you trust not to take you for a ride if you know what I mean

goodluck, and you better have deep pockets
  • jklingel8jklingel8 Member Posts: 10
    I did a search on seat covers, and have another question. I have an '07 3500 w/ leather seats. I'm gonna cry like a baby the first time I get into the truck when wet/sandy/muddy after hunting/fishing. I'd like seat covers that are really waterproof; are any mass-produced, or do I see a customizer? Will sheep skin covers do OK if I am not absolutely saturated? Can/should you put waterproof covers over leather, or does the leather need to breath? (I know: Shoulda stuck w/ cloth!) Thanks. john
  • chain1chain1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Z-71 silverado with the 5.3HO. It has 12k on it. I tried putting an S&B cold air intake, Jet chip stage one module, and Gibson dual exhaust. Power increase was nill and economy didn't get better either. Mileage got better after pulling the chip and intake. S&B cold air systems are a joke! I had to modify the intake tube, buy hardware, and use some of the factory tube seals because the kit was either incomplete or had incorrect hardware with it. If anyone wants this stuff let me know. I think I may have tranny and engine pcm issues.
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    JK:
    Don't shed a single tear. Here is your solution. I purchased a pair of authentic GM made seat covers custom made just for the new Sierra. The quality is tops and they list for only $169. Your GMC parts man can order them and he should give you jobber cost on them. I think I paid about $141. plus tax. They are very handsome and even have a GMC logo. I first bought an aftermarket set and was not happy with the fit or the $225 price so I returned them. I found these covers and am very happy with them. The part number for buckets is 12499918, number for split bench is 12499928 By the way, GM also makes a fabulous set of black rubber floor mats (aka Weathertech) with the GMC logo in red. The part number is 12499644. They fit perfectly, stay put, and hold water and debris in the grooves. Enjoy your new baby!
    Here is what the narrative for the seat covers states: Seat Covers - Front Set - Bucket Seats (A95), GMC Logo, Ebony With Ebony- Upgrade your interior with these custom-fit engineered fabric seat covers. Available for bucket or bench seats, they're designed for exacting fit and luxurious feel. Fully tested for compatibility with Passenger Sensing System
  • jklingel8jklingel8 Member Posts: 10
  • flysprayflyspray Member Posts: 15
  • flysprayflyspray Member Posts: 15
    Im looking for a Tonneau Bed Cover for a 2007 silverado with extended cab and 8ft bed. Ive looked at Leer, snugtop, are, centry, and a few others.

My truck is on order and should be in by the end of next week. When I ordered the truck the dealer told me that Chevy had a Tanneau bed lid that should be out 2 weeks from the when I ordered it. I ordered it 6 weeks ago. Now he tells me that Chevy still doesnt have the lid. The truck is useless to me without a bed lid. I need to carry Items in the back that cant get wet.

If you know of anyone that has a bed lid for this truck please let me know.

thanks
    gregC
  • peaeyepeaeye Member Posts: 4
  • peaeyepeaeye Member Posts: 4
    Anyone had any experience with leveling the front end of a 2004 Silverado Z71?
    My torsion bars are maxed out. The torsion keys seem like an easy way to go but I hear they can cause front end problems.
  • daniel53daniel53 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2500 crew cab and would like to put on 33 inch tires. Can anyone recommend a lift kit that has been tried and proven for these trucks. Also am looking to put wheels and tires along wiht the kit.
  • 200448200448 Member Posts: 4
    ANyone installed a set of SHorty headers on a 01-04 silverado 4.8 or 5.3. I have them ready to go just want to know if anyone has any tricks or do's and don'ts. Any time frame would help also. Thanks Cj
    You will need to watch for the airbag sensor that maybe triggered if you need to disconnect the steering shaft. Course that should be included in your instructions.

I did mine on a lift so installed the headers from below thus avoiding the shaft issue.

With the help of a friend and airtools, it took about 45 minutes total to do both sides. Does help that my friend owns the shop and is ASE certified.
    They are Pacesetter, is it hard scraping the old gaskets off? Did you use the new ones out of the box? Thanks
    I had installed JBA shorties and used both gaskets. I noticed aftermarket parts don't fit as well as OEM. Because of that I used both gaskets to insure a good seal.

The situation might be a little different as I had installed the headers within 6 months of owning the truck and the stock gasket was like new.

You should have no problems scraping off the old gasket.
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    Just wondering if anyone has gone down the same wrong path as myself. I installed a Gibson Dual Sport Exhaust system on my truck about a month and a half ago and have regretted it ever since. My truck is a 2007 new body with 5.3 liter with fuel management. Gibson rated the system as a 3 out of 10 in noise (sound). Actually the system is loud, more like 7-8 and resonates terribly in the cab. One recent trip actually had our family taking breaks to get away from the noise. Also, we experienced a terrible drone when in the 4 cylinder mode. Switching from 4-8 cylinders creates an almost afterburner like "light off" sound. Completely annoying is this system. I've contacted Gibson and they have told me that others have complained but I have received no resolution. Even more, I had to pay for an exhaust shop to cut and weld a different muffler in place until Gibson decides to take care of their mistake.
    Anyone else experiencing this?? Have you contacted Gibson?
    Appreciate any feedback. :sick:
    Their in cab resonance is an industry leader. But they are popular as the CHEAPEST cat back system in the aftermarket.

I personally gave it to a friend who works at a Midas shop. Told him to chop it and sell it as scrap if he wants. It really is a POS and I would never buy Gibson again.

Now if you want a quality system I found that Corsa makes a great but expensive system and is the only company that is GM certified. Dump the Gibson they won't be able to help you.
  • funfulllifefunfulllife Member Posts: 3
    Hello everybody .... My name is Fred,
    I have a 2005 Silverado, Crew Cab, 3500 , 4WD. As I intend to use this vehicle only on road, I'm interested in converting it to accomodate just one wide tire at each side in the back. Does anyone know of any readily available kit or of a way to do this modification? Thanks ahead ....
  • shadypop5shadypop5 Member Posts: 9
    I just ordered a set of Lund medium sized stick on hood scoops for my 2000 1500, and i'm not sure if they're big enough, if anyone out there has put lund scoops on a truck of this style (99-02), please let me now what size they were and how far up down and side to side you mounted them on your truck.
    Thank you
  • shadypop5shadypop5 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to put a locking rear differential in my 2000 1500, my truck is a Z71, but it doesn't have a locking rear end like most Z71's, and i'm woundering just what to put in, and would like some ideas on what and where to get them, i'm looking at a powertrax, that jeg's and stylinconcepts, has, but don't really want to spend that much. and i'm not looking for and off-road truck, i just want more traction, and the ability to whip shitties ha ha, and if it's possible to just get a OEM locking differential, what one do i need, and where do i get it.

Thank you
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with after-market headlight/tail/corner lenses from companies such as Matrix, APC, etc. Have you experienced any problems such as yellowing of the lenses or water leaking inside the lenses. thanks.
  • gmc6gmc6 Member Posts: 3
    hi all
    i have a question about the 5.3 liter with active fuel management. i want to put a flowmaster on my 07 gmc pickup,but worry about the switching back and forth from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders. i was wondering about performance and more importantly i was wondering about what it would sound like in the 4 cylinder mode.
    thx for the help
    josh
    Josh,
    I wasted a good amount of money to purchase a dual sport from Gibson Performance and have regretted it ever since. After spending lots of money trying to right a wrong, I'm kicking myself hard. First off, GM must have spent allot of engineering dollars getting that 4 to 8 cylinder transition to sound almost seamless, yes that muffler has to weigh almost 40 pounds and as big as a pony keg. What I've found at least with Gibson is that no engineering is done, just a cut and fit an off the shelf muffler in place... and it sounds like crap! As soon as the system shuts off 4 cylinders it sounds like someone trying to drown a VW bug, best description I can come up with. The sound resonates in the cab and can cause moments of insanity. I had a local muffler shop chop and place a glass packed muffler in place, it still is unbearable. If you go this route, I'd like to buy your stock system from you.
    Gibson is aware of the problem but has given me the absolute run around and has never delivered a solution, just allot of unkept promises.
    With all of my investigation afterwards I've found that only Corsa performance has engineered a true performance system with the 8-4 cyl. drone engineered out of the transition. They are also the only GM certified supplier of aftermarket exhaust. I wish I knew what I know now 3 months ago, and the story is lengthy. Hope this helps a little.

Bye the way, as a long time Gibson Performance customer, I am finished. I've never been strung along and lied to like these folks have done to me, yes you Craig H.

Schlog
    "Corsa performance has engineered a true performance system"

been saying that around these parts for years regarding GM trucks and Corsa. The thing is Corsa is expensive. You could buy a bunch of Gibson and Flows for the price of a S/S Corsa. Guess you get what you pay for.
    Actually, for $270.00 more I could have retained my sanity and family harmony. You'd think grown men would learn to quit messing with things, I'm getting there quickly. Looking back, I'd have left stock alone. Looking forward, Corsa is hopefully going to be my solution as I have seen and heard their system. Our local junkyard wanted to charge me $700.00 for a salvage system from Indiana. I think not, based primarily on it being "used" to me. When will I ever learn? :cry:
    Having gone the Gibson route with the Silverado, I figure I'd give Corsa a try since it was GM approved. Didn't want to pay full retail plus shipping so I ventured onto ebay. Found a seller who just removed it after two months on his Denali. Asked him why he removed it and he said that the wife traded the Denali for a Range Rover and he wasn't about to give the Corsa with the Denali not after having it installed for only two months.

So his loss became my gain as I picked it up for $350 + $75 shipping. And Corsa doesn't resonate but is a little loud on start up.

Did you try pricing a stock system from the dealer? Just curious.
    The dealer I purchased my truck from wanted almost $1K for the Corsa system stamped with the Chevy Logo. I love my truck, really do... but I won't be robbed like that.
  • gmc6gmc6 Member Posts: 3
    thx for the help. I think I will stick with the stock exhuast. sounds like a nightmare and to much trouble.
    josh
  • donavin1976donavin1976 Member Posts: 2
    I got a flowmaster on my z-71 5.3vortec, sounded great first year,nice growl at idle and a beast at heavy throttle. I like to let folks know where my money is going,,,to OPEC !!! but quiet enough to sneek through neighborhood when working till 4:oo am to fill the tank.
    Long story short,the welds rusted where the pipe meets the case n the front and both exits. muffler case is in perfect condition,but cheap welds. going glass pack or Toyota next.