Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Actually if you buy your gas at 76 gas stations, none of your money goes to OPEC, as none of their gas comes from the middle east.
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    How does Toyota fit into the conversation about your muffler? Is it GM's fault that you have crappy welds on a aftermarket muffler? America.... good God , we are truly our own demise. :confuse:
  • kerryboys559kerryboys559 Member Posts: 2
  • kerryboys559kerryboys559 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, I need to know if it is legal for me to change the color of my turn signal lights to something else besides amber, and that's for both tail lights and headlights. I'm also interested in putting green LED's under my tailgate handle and in my wheels but I'm not sure if any of this will get me pulled over. There are many things I would like to do with colored lighting with the interior and exterior, so if anyone can give me a web site or answer my questions with confidence I would be much obliged. Thank you all.
  • 20chevy0120chevy01 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help explain the main differences? I understand that glass packs are louder, but I also understand if they are too loud then I can get a ticket. Today I had dual flowmasters put on with 5 inch tips but I am not satisfied with the sound. Can someone also explain what the difference is between 12 inch, 15 inch, and 18 inch glass packs are?
    Is the problem your having with the muffler set-up one in which it sounds like crap when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode? I installed a Gibson Cat back system that sounded horrid when it switched fro 8 to 4 cylinders and it was "supposed" to have been engineered specifically for my truck. They've received lots of complaints about their lousy system and have promised a replacement, but that was 5 months ago and they fired the warranty manager who made the promise of re-engineering and sending replacements to the customers who purchased them. My advice is to purchase from Corsa as they are the only system out there right now engineered to deal with the Active Fuel Management system.
  • 20chevy0120chevy01 Member Posts: 2
  • gravityprintgravityprint Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Corsa Catback Exhaust from GMC when I purchased my 2007 GMC Sierra 5.3 litre. Beware, the spare has to be removed. It sounds great but does seriously resonate around 1800 RPM. I tend to drive in 3rd rather than Overdrive since, I dont like the sound the exhaust makes when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode. Gas mileage is expected to drop but its smiles to the gallon not miles to the gallon that gets me by.
    I am looking into a Cold Air Intake which may or may not change the tone a bit.
    Any ideas on the CAI?
    Sleeper
    Oakville, Ontario
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Does the sound of a drowning VW bug sound worse than the Dodge or even the Ford V-10's? Maybe you can have a "dual" exhaust system. Dual as in when in 8 cyl mode the exhaust goes through a Flowmaster and when in 4 cyl mode it goes out one of them big coffee can mufflers under the bumper. Sorry, I know I was no help.
    Actually it is worse than listening to a Hillary rant if you can imagine that. As for V10 sound, I've heard a V10 in a Viper and I was in AWE of the sound. Don't know about the Ford.
    I think your exhaust thoughts may have some merit. I think Gibson would do well in obtaining an engineer with that type of imagination. I don't think they have a true engineer on staff.
    Live and learn... I'm movin on.

Good chuckle! :shades:
  • anythingbuttoyanythingbuttoy Member Posts: 102
    You do NOT have the Corsa. Borla makes the GMPP Catback sytems now and it's the Borla that requires removing the spare tire. Corsa systems do not interfere with the spare. Trust me, I am right about this.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    installs it, where exactly do they put the spare? Borla makes good products and Corsa is better.
  • gmc6gmc6 Member Posts: 3
  • lowcountrylowcountry Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced all of my headlights, taillights, and corner lights with APC lights. I have not had any yellowing, however when I first put them in there was some fogging/condensation in them at times. Easy fix, drill a small (1/8") hole in the botttom corner of all your lights. This will provide enough ventilation along with the factory vents to keep the moisture down and keep them nice and clear. Just be careful and drill nice and slow so that you do not crack the lens.
    I just resealed mine with silicone.
  • learncprlearncpr Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone out there investigated putting a plow on the new body duramax? Been getting some conflicting info. Looking into a crew cab but want to put a plow on the front. Probably just a 7'6" or 8'2" BOSS, but want to make sure the front end will support it and have no warranty issues with the dealer or GM. Is there a difference in the suspensions between the Classic Series(ok for the plow) and the NBS(not ok). Seems crazy to own a heavy duty pick up with an extremely powerful engine and not be able to plow snow with it. Thanks in advance.

KB
  • bodeenbodeen Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a cold air intake on the 6 liter? Is it worth the $250?
    How about installing a new exhaust also?
    Well depends on what you're looking for. If you have a need for increase in noise then both would increase in cab noise or to some....music.

If you're looking for performance or mileage increase...well, save your money.
  • chevy4x4chevy4x4 Member Posts: 3
    is it ok to run a 04 5.3l without a muffler or does it really need some back pressure. Thanks for your help?
    Yep it needs the back pressure.
  • chevy4x4chevy4x4 Member Posts: 3
    Thats what I thought. Any idea on what would happen if the truck was run for a long time with out back pressure. Thanks
    Besides having no power and struggling along all day long and causing unncessary wear on the motor and drivetrain I don't see any other problems.
  • dhillgerdhillger Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.3L V-6 step-side single cab truck.

I am planning on doing a tune-up on my truck and was wondering what all i should do? Its got 113K miles.

I also want to try to beef up the engine a little. Maybe a cold air intake, headers, and exhaust. Any suggestions on what kind of exhaust will get me loudest sound but stay legal?

Also what else could I get to suck some more power out of that v-6?
    I suggest that you save your money. A cat back will give you better sounds, then again don't know how good a v6 will sound as it may not be to your liking. One thing for sure you won't get that big block sound that you're probably looking for.

Headers and cold intake won't do much for you either I'm afraid. However, gears might.

Sorry if this post isn't what you want to hear.

As far as tuneup replacing the plug and wires is about all it takes in that department.
  • dhillgerdhillger Member Posts: 7
    Can you tell me a little more about gears and a supercharger?
    http://www.gm-diesel.com/diesel/vbull/showthread.php?t=12482

Essentially you might consider changing the whole rear end. The RPO code in your glovebox will tell you what rear you have whether it be 3.23 3.73 or 4.11. An upgrade to a 4.11 will give you better acceleration off the line while costing you a little more in gas mileage.

I wouldn't recommend a supercharger as the added compression of the forced induction could wreck havoc on a truck with over 100K miles.

The rearend swap might be the most cost effective solution as I'm sure the junkyards have a huge amount of GM rears in their yards.

Check here for rpo codes.
  • builderbillbuilderbill Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought a new 07 2500HD 4x4 crew cab, and was interested to see if anyone here has installed any kind of lift kit on a like truck. I was thinking of a 4" lift on the front only so it is more level with the rear. I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences anyone has had on the matter.

Thanks!
  • mherringmherring Member Posts: 4
    I have two questions about naviagation systems in a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew cab (WITHOUT rear seating entertainment . I would like to get the 2008 GMC stock navigation system in my new 2008 GMC Sierra SLT crewcab truck.
    From GMC they cost around $2,700, but I found the actual nav systems cheaper ($1,400) on 3rd party GMC sites, and even found one for $900 on Ebay . On the 3rd party site & Ebay Its the exact 2008 gmc nav system (part numbers match).
    I asked the GMC dealership if I purchased it from a GMC 3rd party, would they install it. They told me no and that I have to buy it from GMC directly.
    And they also went on to say that there is an antenna (??) that has to be installed also, and that the nav system has to be programmed TO the truck (???)...I'm thinking this was a b.s. line to discourage me from buying it cheaper somwhere else.
    Is this true?? Its there big programming process in installing a gmc nav system that ONLY GMC can perform when installing into a new gmc truck?!?!?! am i missing something here?? Is there something else invloved OUTSIDE of simply replacing the existing radio with a new nav system?!?!? Does the back up camera need to be installed also??Can anyone enlighten me here?

Also, pertaining to the gmc stock nav, can you change the view of the screen to show 3/4 view?? So far all ive seen of them is an overview shot, like looking at an actual map? The kind of hand held nav's u plug into the truck lighter, you can show a view at a 3/4 view shot like the view you have driving down the street. Can the GMC nav systems do this?!?! Or are you limited to JUST the over head shot?

Thanks for your time to read this, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
  • shadypop5shadypop5 Member Posts: 9
    I don't think it's a lift kit you need to worry about unless you want your truck to look bad [non-permissible content removed], if it's just the front end you want raised just take it to the dealer and have them adjust the torsion bar underneath and that will raise your front end for your desired ride height.
    So what your dealership is saying is that you need to buy the nav from GMC directly or actually any GM dealership and they will do the install?

There is a security system that is tied into the radio and I would believe that the ECU would probably have to be reprogrammed so that the truck knows the stock unit was replaced with the nav unit. Course depending on your relationship with the service manager it could be a minor charge to do the reprogramming.

Check out this site. They do charge a little high for the shipping buy their prices are very resaonable compared to my local Chevy and GMC dealerships sometimes saving me almost 50% on parts. Just enter the GM part number and it will return the description and price. If you buy the part from them your dealership should have no issues installing it.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
    Thanks for the input Shady. That sounds a lot better than messing around with the lift kits. I wasn't aware they could make those kinds of adjustments.
  • ldsokolldsokol Member Posts: 14
    Just so you all know if the dealer installs a lift kit before you buy the new vehicle, it voids the warranty through GM. This is just something that the dealer forgets to tell you if you have trouble with it. The dealer is making approximately $6500.00 profit by putting it on and then they don't want to fix anything on it. They shouldn't be able to put them on vehicles without having them re-inspected for safety.
  • toperskitoperski Member Posts: 4
    adjustments to raise front is fairly simple. look for long rods with octagon shape ends under bottom inside of tires(lower a arms i think). tighten bolts , paying attention to ammount of turns. keep turns equal to each side. headlights will be higher and piss me off if we crisscross at night so please dial them down after adjusting front up, thanks
  • toperskitoperski Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for a little more power for pulling my 5th wheel camper. I have an '04 silverado 2500HD gasser with 410 gears. I've added a K & N cold air intake and two flowmaster 40 series mufflers with no tailpipes. Mufflers are 2 1/2 in & out with narrowings at each end cut closer to match 3 inch pipes. Is a flowmaster 2 1/2 mufflers insides differant than that of 3 inch mufflers? Will tailpipes gain me more torque? Should I have purchased the HD muffler? Will an almost $300 chip help that much? If so what brand?
    Truck does pull fairly well in 55 zones. Pulling in 70 zones is quite a bit tougher, especially in windy conditions with hills. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ! thanks.
    Forget the K&N and the flowmasters. Other than intake and exhaust sounds you will lose low end torque. A westerns tune may help. Do a google on it. Other than that most bolt ons are not worth the price in return on $ per HP.
    Thanks for the info and the reminder on the lights. Hadn't thought about those yet. Those dealers charging 6,500. on the lift kits are making way too much money on them. You can get a 12" lift installed at a off road shop around here for about 3,500., inlcuding everything else that needs to be changed out to work with it.
  • bpari005bpari005 Member Posts: 9
    Alright truth is that the dealership you talked to is correct. There is an external antenna that needs to be installed as with any gps product. Also you do have to have the radio programmed in order to unlock it. The new radios built by denso have a data recognition of the VIN number stored in the radio and it will have to be programmed to work with the vehicle also the steering wheel controls have to programmed in order to function. The antenna for the gps is on the roof of the vehicle either painted to match or rough plastic. Vehicles with gps will have two of these on the new body style. One is the on-star/gps ant. the other is the xm ant. if so equipped. Now the only question here is, are the part numbers different between a vehicle with nav and without nav since on-star and nav are in the same ant. This I do not know. Where is the connection for the gps to hook in? I think you will have to pull the headliner most of the way down and replace the ant. for one with on-star and navigation.
    Never really looked into this too much but I know alot about the new radio from the fact that I work at a customs shop and deal with hooking alot of things up to those new radios.
    I work at a customs shop and have installed a lift kit on just such a truck. It was a 6" fabtech lift. The truck looked absolutely awesome afterwards. I saw a few other posts on here about cranking the tortion bars and this is a solution to level the truck out it will not lift the rear. Also cranking the tortion bars up can also cause a rough riding truck. A lift kit replaces crossmembers and drops the lower control arms. Also the rear end will get blocks that space between the rear end and the leaf springs. This raises the whole truck and levels it out. A six inch lift on this truck with the right rims and tires becomes a monster. I literally have to jump to get into the truck. hope this helps.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    Does anyone make a set of nice looking molded splash guards for the '07 NBS Silverado? And not those flat, el cheapo swapmeet one-size-fits-all junk neither. That's one of the few gripes I have about my truck.

Part # and source appreciated.

Thanks.

1offroader
    The best thing I have found is made by a company called husyliners. They make molded floor mats and molded mud flaps specific to the vehicle. They even make different ones that fit wether it be a dualie, have fender flares or whatever. Very tough and always easy to install. They typically use the factory hardware when possible and add a few extra screws for support. They run about 50-60 dollars per set and are available at most customs shops.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    Am considering putting a small lift kit on my 07 4x4 Silverado NBS. 2"-3" lift, enough to clear some 33s, not enough to screw up on-road handling and destroy u-joints. Anybody done that? What kits are out there? Why is one better than another? It's been a few years since I did a lift.

Also, have heard different stories about lift kits voiding the factory warranty. What's the real deal with that? If that's true, why do dealers offer the kits installed on some trucks?

Finally, does the lift mess with the ABS/Traction Control?

Thanks in advance.

1offroader
  • chevy4life1974chevy4life1974 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, new member, but i was hoping someone had some ideas for performance upgrades besides what i have done already ? I have a 4.8/292 C.I. motor with 2wd.
    I have changed to a K&N FIPK, HYPERTECH power programmer, a Flowmaster cat back dual exaust w/3" pipes, MSD 8.5mm wires and AC Delco Platinum +4 plugs. Here is what i'm thinking?????Rocker arms,Headders(want to stay emissions legal) BBk or Comp Cams FAST manifold,Throttle body?,Maybe go to an electrick fan and maybe a throttle body spacer.with this setup I have now I get about 17mpg I would like to stay above 12mpg and still haul A%$. Thanks for any help. And I forgot about a SUPERCHARGER!!!
    If you decide on a supercharger you will have to dump the K&N FIPK and the Hypertech as the guys who make superchargers don't like either. Also forget the Granatelli MAF or throttle body spacer as the same guys don't like those either.

If you really want to haul [non-permissible content removed], sell those mods you have on ebay and go the supercharger route. It will save you a lot of time and money, not affect gas mileage much, and if you do blow your motor it will be a good excuse to get the 5.3 or 6.0.

Last but not least dump those Flowmasters, they have been dyno'd and have shown 7-12 HP loss due to not having enough back pressure which causes loss of lowend torque. A catback from Borla or Corsa will do a lot better. Course you will pay twice what you paid for the Flows.

Good luck!!
  • kboynton1kboynton1 Member Posts: 3
    Okay my 1992 C/K pickup didn't come with power locks, but I'm wanting to put a key-less entry system in it. I'm already aware of prices and such but I've been trying to find out if there is anyone out there that knows if a non mechanically inclined person could install such a system? Including the power locks part? And I'm more interested in if its easy to do or not, like I said, a mehcanically disinclined person basically?
    apart the door and the window assembly would create stress, then I suggest you take whatever kit you buy to an installer. If in your opinion you think that it's not worth the bucks then I suggest you forget the idea completely. Installing power door locks and windows is not for the average diy.
  • kboynton1kboynton1 Member Posts: 3
    what kind of stuff would even go into it, i mean the only mechanical thing i even really see is the accuators, the rest is finding out where to place all that wiring and where your gonna place the box too.
    If you want to take the chance I suggest you pick up the keyless system from a place such as Crutchfield which doesn't have the best price but has excellent installation instructions and phone support. That is for someone who is not mechanically inclined but able to read and follow directions. ;)
  • mrualmrual Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 silverado 5.3 as everyone else allways looking for better gas mileage just changed the OME Cold Air Intake System with a K&N Cold Air Intake and What a difference way better performance its like the engine can finally breath. both performance and gas mileage shot up :surprise: .. has anyone else tried the cold air intakes??
    Next need to change over to mobil 1 oil see if that does anything for my mileage.. :shades:
    After 6 months of use, remove your intake tube and inspect your throttle body. Buy a couple of cans of throttle body cleaner from Checkers, couple of old rags and have a go at cleaning all that gunk that's going to be in there. If it is really bad you may have to remove the throttle body to clean it.