Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Why would I need that?? I have a bestest buddy at the tire store and he checks them for me.....hehehe. I tend to use a penny, its always worked for me, I just didn't use it on the winter tires, don't know why, just didn't. At the tire store they used a tread depth guage and the front tires were even across, the rears, low in the middle.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Nah, it's always been a Gin Bin for me......
    HEHEHE, I was thinking the same thing. Actually I stuff all kinds of stuff in there, you'd be surprised what will fit in that tiny little spot.
  • 96mk8lsc96mk8lsc Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 Explorer 2wd with 1900 miles and a whiney rear end as mentioned in an earlier post.

I picked up my wife and drove to dinner tonight (about 9 miles), had dinner at a restaurant (the vehicle sat for about 45 minutes), then drove home (5 miles). I was frustrated with the rear end whine and decided to check the oil level. The rear end was so hot that I could not keep my hand on it. Does this sound reasonable? The noise is getting noticeably worse by the day but there are no signs of oil leakage. Any thoughts?
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    there will be some heat buildup... power is run through the gears, they meet resistance, there is friction, and power is lost as heat. but a diff should never get as hot as the engine.

you need to get in the dealer and get the diff replaced on warranty, there is a TSB. yours may have some other issues, like a misalignment or low fluid, but noise is not normal, heat is definitely not normal, and you have a diff that sounds like it's about to lock up and give you a bad time.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    What size tires? Factory height?
    Winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3 OEM size. Summer tires are the Michelin Cross Terrain that the truck came with. I don't play with tire size, so whatever it came with is what I stick with.
    I would have the dealer check the exhaust sensors that adjust the fuel mixture and the MAF sensor. Having an O2 sensor give false readings makes the mileage disappear. I had noticed that my mileage was gradually decreasing but did not know why until the O2sensor went bad and was replaced. I instantly picked up 5mpg and a smoother engine with better performance.
    The dealer confirmed that the rear end is indeed bad and is replacing it "as a unit". Is there any way to identify if the "new" rear end is the updated part or if it is just "another" first generation and potentially faulty rear end?
    there should be an identity tag on one of the bolts of the diff cover, and the number should be slightly different at the suffix side. but I wouldn't worry all that much for two reasons. one, you've got lots and lots of warranty left. two, the tech who confirmed the failure almost certainly had the TSB on the bad diffs, and thus has the correct parts number for the good ones. it would be really dumb to put another known stinker in, and I suspect but cannot prove that any bad parts dealers may have had (and who stocks diffs? next to nobody except the factory depot) would have been placed aside under a no-ship order.
    I would tend to agree with you except for the experience of my co-worker. His 03 Aviator had the rear end replaced 3 times with little or no improvement. They were eventually forced to refund his money under the Fl lemon law. You would think that they would be more careful after installing 2 bad units previously, but they installed the 3rd bad unit too. I hope my luck is better than his.
    oh well, it's just parts, we can get more :(
  • jersey04jersey04 Member Posts: 6
    bought MM V6 last feb 16 2004 now there's something wrong with the instrument cluster. i'm so frustrated because it's only 2500 miles and this is my first suv..is there someone who can share some thoughts.
    What's wrong with it?
    i really don't know, the dealer just told us that it had to be replace. what happen is that by some reason all the automated didn't work..such power moonroof, doors..etc. and the message center is also busted. The air bag deployment lights continuously flash. they are fixing it for almost 3 days..
  • infotimeinfotime Member Posts: 6
    03 Mountaineer. I too had to have my instrument cluster replaced. My speedometer quit working. The odometer worked fine, the speed needle would not move. They replaced the entire cluster and everything works fine. I was a little worried about rattles once they pulled the original out and replaced it, but it is fine.

The only bummer is that they replaced it with a remanufactured unit, not a NEW one. The dealer told me Ford doesn't stock new units. This is the only way it's done. I called 7 other Ford or Mercury dealers and they all told me this was true.
    It'll be fine. Never heard of this problem before, but these units are all electronic now, not mechanical, so some failures are gonna happen I guess. They did as mechanical failures as well, we just didn't expect perfection back then. Now, we do.
    i called the dealer today because another day passed and they still don't know what's wrong with my car. i got upset with the service consultant because he's giving me an attitude. So, i called the 800 number for consumer complaints,then just thru them i found out that it's not the instrument cluster, and, they still don't know the problem.. so frustrating
    Very frustrating, no doubt. I sympathize. The more complex these cars get, (and better, thereby), the more difficult a gremlin can be....
    Be patient but firm in escalation. Talk to the service manager, if he's not helpful, go to the GM. Don't threaten lawsuit, that just puts up walls. Anyway, this is what I do when encountering tough problems. Usually works.
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    Is there anyway to determine if your car has a keyless Entry mode (1998 Expl 4wd). I have more than once gone to another car I thought was mine in a parking lot..same color same year....you get the idea. So I am looking for a way to stop doing this beforeI break my key off in someone else car.
    The Ford dealer tells me they have take off the dash board cover to look for the module. I have given my vid to ford motor company and asked them
    to tell me..only to be told to go to your dealer.
    AFAIK, there is no "we smelled you coming" mode in anything but some of the newest pseudo-luxury cars. in fords of the 90s and early 2000s, "keyless entry" means there is a 5-button module on the door or the B-pillar near the drivers door, and you key in either the factory default code or your personally-set code to open the locks. shouldn't be any reason to disassemble the car to the frame to look for a beer-can sized module to do this.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Open the tailgate, armed with a flashlight. Open the lug wrench and jack storage on the left hand side of the Explorer. Take your flashlight and shine it inside towards the front of the vehicle. You will see a square box, and on it is your code. It will be hard to see, but its there :-)
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    Maybe I used the phrase keyless Entry to freely.
    Should have said Remote Keyless Entry.
    Anyway I talked with some people (person) from KeylessRide.(website). He suggested this.. turn key 8 times
    to the on position (do not start car). If remote keyless a module is present the doors will lock.
    Yesterday. Just a mile down the road from me a guy in a rented 04 Explorer hit a tractor trailer head on. My husband was one of the rescue personel that responded on the call, I saw pictures of the Explorer. Let's just put it this way, don't tangle with anything that big in an Explorer. The man driving the Explorer didn't make it, never had a chance. Very tragic. Life is so precious.

It appears the guy in the Explorer either fell asleep or had a moment of inattention that caused him to cross the center line, by the time he realized he was over the line it was too late. Highway was closed for 8 hours. My husband said it gave him pause when he saw a truck pretty much identical to what I drive looking like it did.

Hug your loved ones tight, tomorrow is no guarantee.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I saw that story on KTUU's news page earlier today and thought about you. Tough duty for your hubby...

Steve, Host
    Yeah, was real rough on all of them. My hubby said that was the worst accident he's ever seen and he's been a firefighter for nearly 20 years.

I feel terrible for the truck driver, he tried so hard to get away from the Explorer, took heroic measures.

So very sad for the family of the man who lost his life.
    you don't win an argument with a Pete, and you don't win an argument with a train, no matter what you're driving. the front of an explorer, like my 2000, doesn't have nice long frame rails that go right up to the bumper so the guy you hit also gets a chunk taken out of him. from the radiator support forward, excepting two brackets to hold the bumper on, it's all plastic except for the hood and fender edges. that's meant to be a crumple zone in low-speed issues.

I have had my share of ugly responses in a previous career as a TV news reporter/photographer, in a shop where once we had the newsfilm or tape we can air, we offered our still camera and skills to the officers to document the scene. I have shot some stuff that would have fit right into "The Passion." sounds like your husband had worse in this one.

you both have my sympathies, and please remember that accidents are news because they rarely happen. and they carry a message we all need now and again... slow down, take care, try to figure out what you can do if the other drivers are all lunatics on drugs and their cars break apart, so you can save yourself.

it's always ugly, it's often avoidable, and we're never going to be without terrible crashes.
    it has been a week now and we still don't have any answer with our MM 04. i called the support center again to ask what is going on and was told that my car is on the research center and i should receive a call from them this monday. How long should i wait before i consider asking the manufacturer to replace my car? I saw on tv the other day an accident in Florida when a mother was driving a bmw that got out of control, the explaination was that the car has faulty wiring..that gives me the creeps.
    When that BMW case came down to the wire it was proven there was nothing wrong with the car and that the woman was at fault. The BMW expert said that they hear of less than 50 cases a year of unintended acceleration and 95% of those are driver error.
    Jersey04 ... you need to read the Lemon Law manual for the state in which you live. In Florida there are things that you need to do to initiate the Lemon Law process. If you do not perform the tasks required, Ford will have unlimited time or attempts to fix the problems without triggering the requirement to refund or replace the vehicle. In Florida we must send a certified letter to Ford notifying them that the milestone has been reached (# of days out of service or # of attempts) without resolution. Once they receive the letter, they have one more shot (with a maximum number of days) to repair the vehicle or refund/replace it.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Check out you state Lemon Law... I went through this process about 1 1/2 years ago, I followed the MA Lemon Law on my 2002 MM and I received a 2003 MM in it's place. The MA Lemon Law website gives you suggestions on how to write your letter and where to mail it. I have had no problems with my 2003 and it already has over 50k miles on it. Here is the NJ Site:
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lemguide.htm#lemguide.htm1
    Good Luck
  • limitedlimited Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 explorer limited with 3rd row seating.....could someone help me in locating the keyless entry factory code for this vehicle.Any help would be much appreciated.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    The code should be located in the owners manuel. They is a card that list the code, if not there go to your local ford dealer and with the vin number they can tell you the code or at least show you how to reprogram with a new code.
  • limitedlimited Member Posts: 2
    Looking for help locating the computer module to get my factory code for keyless entry pad.I have a 2002 explorer limited with 3rd row seating.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • infotimeinfotime Member Posts: 6
    Ford changed the location for the computer module that has the code written on it's side. In the pre-2002 models, this module was located in the rear panel. It could be accessed if you knew where it was.

Ford has now changed the location to behind the passenger door panel. You have to remove the door panel and do some searching. I wouldn't recommend this with a new vehicle.

You CAN NOT just call Ford and have them run the VIN number and retreive the code. Ford HAS TO pull the number off the car with a computer. This requires you to bring in the vehicle to their shop and pay for 30 minutes of time.

Been there...done it.
    It sort of depends upon your intended use for the truck. The Explorer is a truck based, SUV, so it's good for towing and rugged, yes very sophisticated and refined due to the independent rear suspension. It also has available 3rd row seats that are actually usable by adults, and fold flat into the floor. In my opinion, it's class leading. I've had 5 of them since 1994, and they've all been extraordinarily good vehicles.

The Pilot OTOH, is good by reputation, but minivan based. I don't think you can get a 3rd seat in it, but I know you can't get a V-8, so towing is pretty much limited to a tent trailer. Otherwise it's a nice car. A little overpriced for what you get, IMO, but nice.

I obviously, am biased toward the Explorer.
    Just a quick note on my Explorer. I give up on the gas mileage thing, it bounces around more than a 2 year old. One tank is 15 mpg, the next 14 mpg, then it jumps up to 18 mpg. No changes in driving habits, weather, idling, or anything.

That's one thing I love about our V10, its 10 mpg no matter what.....well, it can get 13 mpg on the hwy if its just hauling its own rear end.

My Explorer is going in Friday to be checked, I know its pulling to the right, so they will align it. As for the fuel economy.......I just shrug, I've never owned such an inconsistent truck in my life.

Will turn 11k this week and yes, I still like my truck even if it is a bit on the quirky side.
  • northbayguy1northbayguy1 Member Posts: 10
    As regards your inquiry re Pilot vs. Explorer, I believe you can make a much better deal on a new Explorer XLT 4WD than a comparably equipped Pilot, although you should note that the Pilot does have available third row seats (allowing for up to 8 passengers!). However, if you are truly interested in a practical 7 passenger suburban(i.e. limited off-road use)SUV with AWD, you should check out the new Buick Rendezvous as it is more affordable than either the Explorer or the Pilot and offers comparable amenities and options, including an upgraded engine(in the Ultra pkg.)if you so desire. Regardless, I think any one of them (the Explorer, Pilot or Rendezvous)wold be an excellent choice. Good luck.
    to remember again on the Rendezvous, it's minivan based, like the Pilot. Not very tough, not good for towing. If that's not an issue, then it may be worth a look too. The Explorer is still the workhorse of the group.
  • lorchanianlorchanian Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your input. Time to get some hard prices.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Did you ever get the stalling issue resolved? I wondered if that was related to your bad mileage.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I bought a '01 Explorer XLT AWD V8. I've only had FWD vehicles before. What extra maintenance is required on AWD? Thanks.

Regards,

Leo
    Not yet, that's one of the things its going in for tomorrow. It hasn't done it in a while, seems to be ok........of course, it knows I have an appt at the dealer.
    not much additional, the rear diff drive stuff is basically ultra-low maintenance. if you don't tow and don't go fording standing water, which could get water into the vent and thus into the diff, it's just checking diff fluid level and color at oil changes. the transfer case also needs to have level and color checked.

if you tow, drain and fill the drive line stuff (tranny, front and rear diffs, transfer case) every 30,000 miles just for reliability's sake. if you get into axle-or-over water or mud, you will also have to check, and likely drain and fill, the driveline components as soon as humanly possible.

you're already used to the boot checks on the drive axles, and that doesn't change.

that's a real good truck you bought, I have the 2000. there weren't all that many 2001s built due to mid-year change to the 2002, and its new frame, body, and drive components. you should have a lot of good miles in the unit, enjoy it.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thank you for your help. I currently don't tow anything and don't have any see any foreseable plans. I think I might put a hitch on so I can use on those metal rectangle cargo carriers for hunting pruposes.

Regards,

Leo
  • bucksnortbucksnort Member Posts: 1
    What is the difference between the drivetrain in the AWD models versus the AWD button on the top of the 3 button stack on the 4WD models?

Is the AWD in the 4WD models like the Automatic 4WD mode in my expedition which I don't like? No torque is sent to the front wheels until the rears slip then you feel a jerk as the fronts engage.
    I traded in a 1997 Explorer V8/AWD on a 2004 Explorer V6/4WD. There is good and bad about both. I didn't really like the AWD in my 97 because it was worthless offroad, but on road it was a little better I thought. The control trac 4WD in my 2004 Explorer isn't bad, much better offroad, but on road its not as good. That being said, yes, its like your Expedition, its RWD until the rear wheels slip then it gives a little jerk and the front engages. I found winter tires help a lot and it doesn't jerk at slick intersections. I do like having 4LO and have used it many times. Guess its all in what you want and what you want to do with your Explorer.
  • disgusteddisgusted Member Posts: 2
    my husband bought a 2002 explorer. now it has dropped a transmission after only being 2 years old and 60K miles on it. according to transmission guy, the torque thingee went out and in turn blew the transmission.

needless to say Ford will NOT stand behind their product. they said they can do nothing for us with their crappy 3 yr/36000 mile warranty.

any ideas or suggestions.

this is way too early for a transmission to go out.

thanks so much.
    You gotta have it rebuilt - then service it every 30,000 miles or so, because you obviously drive a lot of miles each year. Also, if you are driving it in town a lot, taking it out of OD will lengthen the life considerably. You gave us no info about climate or towing or any other indicators as to why you may have had an early failure, so it's hard to say. This is the first of these 5 speeds I've heard going out, so we don't have much experience anecdotally yet. Sorry....

I know Ford says it's "sealed for life", but trust me, its life would be a lot longer if you had it serviced anyway.
  • disgusteddisgusted Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!

Most of the miles put on the vehicle were interstate miles. Our climate is fairly nice. We live in the foothills of NC, not much snow but maybe once a year. We have never towed anything at all with the car and had all the necessary service done at the dealership.

I am in the process of writing a complaint letter. I know it will do no good but will make me feel better.

As soon as the repairs are made the vehicle is going up for sale and another Ford will never enter our driveway.