Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Towing Questions

2»

Comments

• phanson1phanson1 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for information or opinions

I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7L and I tow my holiday camper. What is the ideal RPM for towing, along with a combination of transmission and tow haul mode?

I've read that the truck gets 401 foot pounds of torque at 3600rpms.

Over the last year I have tried a few things

When on Highways of speed limits of 100km I usually put it in Tow haul mode and in S mode on the transmission in 5th gear. This will give me 105-108 km/h at about 1900-2200rpm, pulling hills at 3000rpm
    When on highways of speeds of 110 I usually put it in Tow haul mode and S mode on transmission in 6th gear. This will give me 110-115 km/h at about 2000-2500 rpm and pulling hills at 3500 rpms.

I use to drive truck in the bush and remember that the more you lug a Caterpillar and heat it up the better it pulls and a Cummings the more you rev it the better it pulls. I know you are talking about a Tundra with an aluminum block and a caterpillar with a iron block.

I came through the Rocky Mountains last week and had no problem pulling any hill but the main question I have is on the big hills do I pull at 3600rpm or do I lug it and pull it at 2500rpm?
  • ahedgesahedges Member Posts: 9
    I`ve been towng with my tundra for about a year now and no problems yet,pulls alot better than my f-250 super slug!!!!!!!!I pull a 31 foot jaco eagle with a 14 foot slide around 8800 lbs.It`s a t/t got no sway control just lift bars.axles are really in line never had any sway,rpm,don`t watch the tac when I tow tell by the engine sound need more juice put the rite foot down,tundra will take it don`t worry about it.Just crank the lift bars up tight........Make sure the trailer is LEVEL when it`s hooked up ready to travel,along with the truck,she`ll float down the road.....
  • lowrider2lowrider2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 5.7 SR5 2wd long bed, we just finished a trip from east cost (Savannah Georgia to the west coast Monterey California and back pulling my 21ft Coachmen toy hauler. A couple of the things I noticed was the receiver is wearing (about a 1/8 to 3/16”) where the pin goes through the hitch. The other thing I have noticed is the transmission hunts i.e. when up shifting it goes from 4th into 5th then right away into 6th then back to 4th all in about 2 or 3 seconds. The other problem I noticed was when in drive applying any power it would hang in 3rd gear; this was fixed by putting the transmission in S and shifting to 6th before taking off. I spoke with the dealer in Arizona who said that get the Toyota service rep involved when I get home, when I returned home the folks here said it was fine and since there were no lights. The truck has lots of power the one thing I don’t like is the transmission and you can not lock it into any gear
    Did you use the Tow haul mode at all, i find that you have more control over the shifting with tow haul and using the S mode on the shifter. I heard you have to watch the wear on the receiver, i have not checked since last August thanks.
  • lowrider2lowrider2 Member Posts: 2
    It appeared to make no difference in shifting if it was in Tow/Haul or not
  • fredzimfredzim Member Posts: 1
    :) I have a 2000 Tundra with a towing package. Just bought a travel trailer, 6550 dry and 675 tong. Since then it was loaded up with camping essentials, pots, pans, tools etc. For the rear I first tried the stock set-up --- no good. Then I bought helper springs that mount right on top of the stock springs (from OEM/Partsbin at $345.48 incl ship'g) and that did the job. It's easy mounting and adjustable. Now the whole package is level, no swaying and little to no "side pushing" when passing a Semi.
    Hope I could help.
    I'm heading tomorrow to Alaska with my 07 tundra and holiday trailer, I will play and watch the shifting patterns and see if I can get some consistency.
    no problems with my tundra towing withe exception of I`m getting some slop in my drive-line I still have to go in and have it checked but this slop didn`t show up when towing but showed up when driving it for 12 hours straight going from up-state new york down to the outerbanks north carolina.I read they have trouble with their propeler shafts I`ve had no problems towing at all.I tow a 31 foot jayco (eagle) with a 14 foot slide with the trailer loaded around 8900 tounge 865 shifts fine leave it in haul mode when towing it gives you the luging for starting out.It was designed for that use it...Just watch your temp., on the tranny if it starts to get hot or warmer check it out.
  • earthmamaearthmama Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering purchasing an 08 Tundra 5.7L Truck to replace my 1996 F250 Power Stroke Diesel. I have gotten so many different opinions on the Tundra. I have a small landscape business and haul material almost every day, but cargo weight never exceed 6500 lbs w/ trailer 9500 lbs. Trailer is a bumper pull tandem axle. Some say the Tundra's engine and brake system are outstanding and some say I should stick to a diesel. I have also heard the body dings pretty easily. Some say gas mileage is fantastic but I read several forums that it is not.Anyone do daily medium towing or use their Tundra for construction work and have an opinion to its durability in the construction world.
    My opinion is 9500 lb., is o.k. but watch your tongue weight class IV would do it don`t go over 870 in the tongue weight the truck shold pull it fine and you`ll find that your gas milege towing will probably be around 13 better that the ford bottom end tork is rite there,gas is cheaper than diesel.Also it isn`t going to be in the shop with a 1,000.00 bill to ge it fixed .I`m all for going to the tundra the motor will scare you when you get on it,and you you`ll will just go in for oil changes,and tire rotation.
    also if you do landscaping snow plow cad be put on but only with the heavy front end bleive it`s a 4000 lb rating but check spec`s..
  • mikeangelperezmikeangelperez Member Posts: 2
    I have a Ford F350 and tow a 14K trailer.
    last time out a new Mighty Toyaoooata Trunda towing what i estamite to be around 7K trailer attempted to pass going up a hill.
    My firt thoght was you have got to be kidding me???
    I steped on my Powerstroke and the last time I look the Toy was looking at the rear of my rig......
    Plus I get 20 MPG empty and 13 MPG towing.
    Dont buy a trundraaaa for towing,
    had one of those super duty`s ford stands for fix or repair daily,oh yea you should learn how to spell.
  • mytundra2007mytundra2007 Member Posts: 4
    Just a little updated infom. for you. Lets compare apples to apples. A 350 ford diesel to a Tundra is not exactly a match. But let me tell you this. All and all the TUNDRA is one great truck and looks real good next to your 350 Just compare the specs. Put it up against the gas 250, 350 and see what you have. Don"t even try to compare the ford or other Half ton 150's There is no way they even come close.
    I own a Tundra 2007 And I tow a 5TH wheel weight of almost 11,000 lbs. Not to mention the heavy tongue weight. I did change the tires from the standard toyota provides to a michellin 10 ply. Other than that were on the road. Towed from flat Florida to the mountains of North Carolina. Averaged 65 mph and got 9.5 miles per Gal. I was very impressed as I believe you too will be. Towing was not a problem on the hills and I did pass the slower moving semi's with out a problem an with lots of power and torque. Braking was also very good.Don't let anyone tell you the Tundra is a light weight. It is far beyond its class. No telling what the next generation Tundra will do. LOOK OUT It well be a killer I'm Sure..
  • albamarlealbamarle Member Posts: 23
    how goes the updated trans mission if you still own vehicle? did dealership replace
    trans or you had it done through third party tran shop??
    haven`t had any problems with the tranny to date.. I pull a travel trailer also plow snow with the tundra..But I will keep my eye on the tranny
  • olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    It's almost time to replace the marginal factory 275/65-18 (car) tires. There are many options out there but for not too much more money I can go with real truck tires( E load rated).
    I know they will provide better sway contol and I'm sure they are more puncture resistant. I'm my opinion, the tires on 3/4 ton trucks are one of the main reasons they handle towing better.
    I do expect a slightly stiffer ride and have no problems with that as long as it's reasonable and not bone jarring. Actually, I see no reason to run much over the door jamb recommended presures, even though the tires can go to 80 psi to take advantage of their full capacity but that's beyond what are trucks can safely handle anyway.
    Question is... Has anyone done this and how did it work out. Ride? Tire wear? What pressures work best, empty, loaded and towing?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you go to "truck" tires (LT with C/D/E load rating), you do not actually have to fill them to their max PSI (50 for C, 65 for D, 80 for E). Use a load chart to determine the proper PSI for how much weight will actually be on the axle. On my Dodge Ram 3500 dually, I have LT235/80R17E tires at all 6 positions, but the 4 rear tires are usually at just 37 psi when the bed is empty... the front tires are generally around 62 psi. This is acceptable use by design, and there is no unusual wear. In contrast, running full psi with light (or empty) loads will cause excess wear to the tire and suspension.

Check over this chart:
    Bridgestone Load/Inflation Chart

LT275/65R18 is on the last page.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    have had for three weeks and it is great. was between this, ford and Dodge. Dodge way too much money, and with a $10k discount, I never tested the others. Taking it out to San Diego next weekend, towing a starcraft tent trailer. I know that won't be much of a test, but bought the Tundra to pull a 5th wheel in future. I've pulled 30 ft. nomad with suburban, so I've had some experience towing before. Do I need to keep the speed down with this first tow, or will it matter with a tent trailer. I haven't even had a chance to see if the hitch I've used on my GMC will work, I know the Tundra sets higher off the ground. I'm just going to hook it up and go for it. Got the brake controller installed today. Ready to rock and roll
    I`ve been towing a jayco 31 footer w/ a 14 foot slide (EAGLE) the trailer weighs in at 9200, tongue at 963lbs. you know it`s there but the tundra tows it alot better than my f-250 super krapp ever though of towing it....good luck and let me know what happens...... :shades:
  • dlazodlazo Member Posts: 1
    I have a Palimino 1251 sb slide in camper. It is on my 06 tundra. I have air bags and c rated 6 ply toyo tires. I am over the rear axle weight by 400 lbs. I have taken it on three or more trips; The longest being 300 miles. With only 20 lbs of air in the bags the rear end is 3 or more inches of the bump stops. The total camper weight loaded is about 1800 lbs. You know the camper is there when you are going down the highway but it handles well even in crosswinds. I have a 18 ft. Crestliner boat
    that weighs about 3000 lbs. Would like to take that with me on my next trip. The boat trailer has its own brakes. Any comments on this.
  • 912money912money Member Posts: 5
    I have a 07 tundra crewmax 5.7liter,my question is how do you install a 5th wheel in the bed { 5 ft. 8 in}.It's a reese 5th wheel with the rails.Next question is if I can get this installed correct,will the truck pull the camper.The camper weighs 9100lbs loaded with a tough weigh of 1665lbs.Reese did tell me I had to install a 10in extension on the camper to get the clearance I needed for the cab.Any help would be greatly appreciated since I've already purchased the camper.
  • 912money912money Member Posts: 5
    A friend of mine came up with the solution,he owns and operates a machine shop and he fabricated the four brackets that bolted to the frame to bolt the 5th wheel on.
    that solved it,I hooked up my camper to the 5th wheel,my bumper only dropped 2.5 in.the rubber stop had one inch clearance from the bracket,this is with 1665lbs tongue weigh.My question is do I need to install air bags or helper springs if so which one,and where do find them.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Just got my '08 Big-T with the factory 7-pin hitch setup and the "Trailer Brake Jumper Harness" in the glove box. My electric brake controller, a "Draw-Tite Activator II" has 4 wires: a line to the brake connection for the trailer in the 7-pin connector, one to the battery, one to ground, one to the tow-vehicle's stoplight switch. I've found the corresponding descriptions on the Toyota wire harness for these four, but the harness has one more wire coming from it labeled as "headlamp switch to vehicle trail lamps". Since when do the "trail lamps" go thru the controller? Anybody else come across this? Do I just coil-up and ignore the extra line? Thanks in advance! Regards, BGood
  • peaceandquietpeaceandquiet Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a tundra to use for towing either 5th wheel or TT. Do you have advice for an old lady? I had a 99 ford 250 Lariat powerstroke for a 5th wheel. Traveling pal got sick so I sold them and got a 06 4Runner. The only truck for me now is a Tundra. Used but very well-kept. Until today, I thought they were too light but then I read that trailers have gotten lighter since my '94 Jayco. I value honest advice way above dealer blah, blah.
    Thanks,
    Jody in Colorado
  • imapayneimapayne Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased an 08 Tundra and would like to transfer the electric brake (add on) from our 2000 Expedition. Are they compatible or do we need to purchase a new one? Thanks for any advice.
  • coryunderhillcoryunderhill Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new fifth wheel trailer. It weights 11,900lbs fully loaded is there a way to increase the towing capacity of the tundra. I know the engine can pull this weight it is the rear end and the suspension that would need upgraded. Can anyone help out or do I have to buy a dodge ford or gmc 3/4 ton.
    I had a DrawTite controller wired into our '04 Highlander, the installer used a 4-prong plug between the controller and main wiring so that if we ever wanted to transfer it to another vehicle, we could just unplug it. Turned out he was right...got our '08 Tundra last month, pulled the factory-supplied controller harness out of the glove box, followed the wiring diagrams between the harness and from the controller (just 4 wires) with another 4-prone plug, and Voulla! Works perfectly. And, if I ever need it back in the HL, I can just unplug and plug. Regards, BGood
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    3/4 ton is definitely the way to go. Your Tundra is not designed for such a heavy trailer.
  • rambler16rambler16 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know the max tongue weight limit on a 2008 Tundra. I'm pulling a toy Hauler which only weighs 7034 lbs. but the tongue weight is 1340 lbs. I am using a 14000 lb eqalizer weight distribution system and that does even it out. It seems to pull great but i am curious as to what Toyota claims the Max tongue weight to be. I can't find it in the owners manual.
    For starters you've got a high percentage of trailer weight on the tongue...it's usually 10-15% of the total trailer weight. Yours is near 19%. The max payload ranges from 1495 to 2065 depending on drivetrain, model, engine and bed-length which you didn't specify...you're just under the limit just with the trailer. "Assuming" your model's rated at the 10,800 tow rating, and "assuming" the hitch should handle the "normal" max tongue percentage of 15%, then the hitch would "theoretically" be expected to handle 1,500 lbs.
    Regards, BGood
  • rambler16rambler16 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response. The tongue weight does go down when we have equipment in the back. The max tow weight of my Tundra is 10,600 standard bed 5.7. I new i would be close to the max, but the Tundra seems to pull it with no problems.
    Have a great day.
  • amani4779amani4779 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I confess, I am a pick up truck newbie .... as well as somewhat new to towing a travel trailer. Bought a used 07 Tundra V-8, 4.7 longbed. Salesman told me I could tow 7500#, but when I read the label inside the door at home it says 6800#. My TTrailer is an R-Vison Max lite which weights 4800 lbs dry.... So I'm good w/ that.
    My question is this: I was told by the NC Toyota dealer to always tow in S-4 due to the 1:1 ratio (???). My gas milage going across country in S-4 all the way was between 5 - 7 mpg. When I arrived in Durango, I spoke w/ the a dealer here about the mph who said I should have driven it in D all the way except for mountains. I've read the manual that came w/ the truck, but it is not clear to me when I should be using the S-gears. Please advise.

Other than that... it towed like a dream... much better than my Pathfinder.
    Thanks.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    You did the right thing. Yes, your fuel economy will suffer because you are operating at higher rpms in 4th gear than in OD, but it will be better than risking the trans or the torque converter to tow in OD. Towing in overdrive is always a bad idea - unless the load is very light, say a small aluminum boat for example. Some people are not convinced of it until they need a new transmission. The best tow vehicles are diesels and they do not suffer from such a great loss of fuel economy while towing.
  • apptunapptun Member Posts: 18
    I have an 02 which of course does not have a 5 speed tranny.We tow our 5000 pound horse trailer in OD if the conditions are right. Basically you need to be on fairly flat roads and not use the cruise control. As soon as the tranny starts to jump in and out of OD, I push the lock out and stay in the lower gear until conditions improve. I get as high as 14 mpg using this tactic.It may come back to bite me in the future, but my truck has over100,000 on the odometer and everything is good so far.
  • brian102brian102 Member Posts: 1
    Can I flat tow a tundra with auto-trans with my RV ?
  • tundrafan1tundrafan1 Member Posts: 1
    Our situations are almost identical but reversed, if that makes any sense. I have an 04 Tundra 4 door 4X4. Fantastic truck with now 150,000 flawless miles. I pull a 17 Foot Crestliner aluminum boat with 80 HP 4 Stroke Yamaha. Think it weighs in just under 3000#. Found a Palamino 1250 slide in camper used in good shape and would like to put in on back and tow the boat. Is this a good idea? Sounds like you were considering doing this a few months back. How is it working? My big concern is overall load on the truck. The camper is 1450 dry weight. Add fuel, water, propane, 370 pounds worth of people and another couple hundred gear and it may tax the Tundra too far.

Any thoughts on whether I should add the camper or not?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You're going to be well over the rated capacity of the truck (~1,635#). I was originally gonna say you could probably make it work with higher rated tires and perhaps airbags/helper springs. But adding up the weight it's getting up there a bit high for my comfort level. What's the tongue weight of the boat? If it's 300#, you're well over 2,300# of payload which is a lot for ANY 1/2 ton. My real concern would be with braking which isn't a Tundra forte. I've been way over loaded for short trips to/from town and it wasn't a big deal but I don't think I'd want to jam the brakes at highway speeds with that setup.
  • chief50chief50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Tundra with towing package and a 5.7 V8. I am currently towing a 28 ft Travel trailer that weighs in at 6500 lbs dry. Figure it weighs 8000 lbs fully loaded. It seems to handle real well and I haven't had any issues with the mountains in Alaska. Anyone see any long term issues? Was considering purchasing a Chevy diesel with allisen transmission. Pros/ Cons? Keep the Tundra or buy the Chevy?
  • coach47coach47 Member Posts: 1
    Richard B; Just read your post dated Feb. of '09. We are hours away from either buying our first 5th or canceling the whole thing. Worried about the tongue weight on the Tundra '07. Can't tell the weight till the hitch is actually installed in bed(super glide) then if we can't do it, we have a hitch w won't use. 5th is 9380# dry, truck is weighted to pull 10,300, because of our altitude in Colorado. We have a TT now(8200). Planning on taking to warmer weather for the winter, over some passes. How have you fared in the last year? Would you still recommend this? Love our truck.
    Rich
This discussion has been closed.