Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rank the Big 4 Ford, GM, Toyota, Chrysler. Best? Worst?

1234568»

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    I would like to see Honda in the mix too, though, which I would certainly rate above Toyota. But I'm not sure I would rate it above Ford. Have to think about that one.....

You keep talking like that, and you might have to change your handle. :P
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited February 2010
    I'd probably have to go with (turns out to be the top 7)...

1) (tie) Honda/Acura-Nissan/Infiniti
    2) Ford
    3) GM
    4) BMW/Mini
    5) (tie) VW/Audi-Daimler-Benz/Smart
    6) Toyota
    7) Chrysler
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    GM ABOVE BMW/Mini?????? No way! And I think Honda is headed down the same tubes so recently flushed by Toyota, but for now I would rate it above Nissan. OTOH, I woukd rate Infiniti WAY above Acura.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    I noticed at the DC auto show. Guess whose cars had the best paint jobs? The smoothest, most orange-peel-free paints? It wasn't BMW. Wasn't Benz. Wasn't anything to come out of Japan.

Believe it or not, it was CHRYSLER!! It made me wonder if the cars were specially prepped for the show. Normally those overhead lights in the convention center will show up every little detail, and the smoothest paint jobs are usually on one of the handfull of over-restored antiques, and last year I remember the Chrysler products looking pretty bad.

Next time I see a 2010 Chrysler product, I'll have to look at it closely to see if the paint is really that good on the "street" versions.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Have you been in the new, new BMWs lately? While I won't call them Carbage they are not nearly as good as they once were and not worth the price BMW is charging.

I have 2010, 2008 and a 2003 5 series models on the lot now. You can see a steady decline in build quality from the 2010 to the 2008 and a big drop in driving feel and build quality to the 2003 even though it has 55,000 miles. Sure the 2003 has a couple of broken cup holders and some scratches and dings but those are just normal wear items that can be fixed easily. The basic structure of the 2003 5-Series is just better then the newer models.

It drives better in every way then the newer models. Oh and most importantly I can turn on the radio of the 2003 without having to open up the owners manual or struggle with iDrive. This morning one of the guys couldn't figure out how to put the 2010 in gear because it has BMW's stupid new gear shifter. I asked him if he was pushing both buttons and pulling back and he said he was but maybe he didn't pus down hard enough on the button I don't know. Two different people couldn't get it into gear. I had to walk over and screw around with it while reading the instructions on the nav screen.

Just stupidity.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    1) Ford
    2) Toyota
    3) GM
    4) Chrysler

Smarty, I agree with your rankings.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Inspite of the recent Toyota recalls-which are mass hysteria and stupidity- folks miss the point that Toyota still is making profits.Even if the recall costs 2 billion,Toyota can make up and the fact is Toyota cars are amongst the best out there. Lot of credit to Ford,but it still has a debt of $35 billion.. when will they overcome that and get in the black.. I dont know-very very tough.
    And GM and Chrysler are gone cases . 80 billion in debt..How can they ever make up??Answer-Never. We are just prolonging their agony by giving them tax money with no hopes of returns.
    The ratings in reality without any bias -based on profits,quality and dependability are :
    1. Toyota
    2.Honda
    3.Hyundai
    4.Ford
    5.GM
    6.Chrysler
    I am not including luxury car makers here like Lexus/MB/Acura.

And the most over rated company out there is Nissan. Nissan is behind Mitsubishi in my opinion:shades:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited February 2010
    My thinking is that all of the Big 6 have made most of their vehicles dull as dishwater now, with Toyota leading that trend. Ford is the only one with a bit of pizzazz, and even then it's not much, but I have hopes that they will fan that tiny spark in the next year or two. :-)

As a car enthusiast I'm not much into profit margins because they don't make more desirable cars - the proof is in the pudding - check your local dealer's lot tomorrow if you want to see (doesn't matter which brand dealer you visit, among the Big 6).

I'm struggling to think of any automaker I would give much more than a C- to right now.....

On a sidenote, I'm going to have to start calling them the Big 6.5 or something, as Chrysler doesn't really qualify to be in the Big 6 any more, and Hyundai sort of does, just going by annual sales volume.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers on why they are not considering a Chrysler vehicle. This can be a Chrysler ,Dodge, Jeep or Ram. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 11, 2010.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• das_auto1das_auto1 Member Posts: 1
    1) GM (because of increasing reliability, wide range of options, and overall market cap)
    2) Ford (also increasing reliability, well equipped fleet and well worth the price)
    3) Toyota (very large company and decent convenience vehicles, but decreasing reliability)

100) Chrysler (why the hell are they on this list?)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2012
    Actually, Chrysler has a much lower amount of recalls than the two Detroit automakers.

Government Motors (Cad/Bu/GMC/Chev): 3435
    Ford (including Lincoln): 3003

Chrysler (Including Dodge): 1875

Toyota (including Scion and Lexus): 1113

Car Recall Scoreboards and Car Reports Listed by Car Make