Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    ditto.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wayne9269wayne9269 Member Posts: 12
    hello there all,

the rear hatch window has opened up twice now during the last month while i was driving. i drive a 2004 explorer xlt with 23,000 miles that i bought used 2 months ago with 21,000 on it so i have no idea if this has happened before. has anyone run into this sort of problem? i know i didn't hit the button on the keychain. thanks for any and all information. already had it in to fix the solenoid problem. amazing that it was ford certified and the "bucking" going in reverse was still present....i hope i start getting lucky so i can refer these vehicles to friends in the future. love the ride, features(290 watt stereo among others)and look otherwise. wayne
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Bought my ball joints on Wednesday, from Advance. $32.88 each for the lowers, $92.88 for one upper, $108.88 for the other upper, maxing out the credit card with a grand total of $283 with tax. Got the TRW with lifetime warranty. Having them put in this coming Wednesday or Thursday. The guy estimated $100 labor, but we'll wait and see. I'll still have to have it aligned after the fact.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Do your new ball joints have the grease zerts on them? If so, no more ball joint worries! Since you are having all 4 replaced, you are right about the alignment. I hope that once this is done, you can finally enjoy your truck for the first time in a while. Take Care
    I took one of the lowers out of the box, didn't see a grease fitting on it. As long as it lasts another 50k I'll be okay, then it can be somebody else's problem.

I just had Terry in "Real World Trade Values" do an estimate on mine, and he said high $4s low low $5s, and I still owe $7600 on it. If thats the case, I'll be holding onto her longer than I thought. I want to keep it at least til it hits 67k, or June of '06, when the crummy warranty expires. I'm really getting keen on those '01 Pathfinders though...
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    I personally would't have an alignment done right after the joint install. Reason being the new joints will set the angles back to where they were at the factory and you're not replacing steering parts. Just check the treadwear on the fronts in 6 months for cupping or feathering, I bet you'll be OK. Unless you've had a bunch of alignments done with the bad suspension parts, in which case it will be out of spec with the new ones. Just trying to save you $80.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree with wijoco - but then again, I think you've wasted your money anyway...
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Bought my ball joints on Wednesday, from Advance. $32.88 each for the lowers, $92.88 for one upper, $108.88 for the other upper, maxing out the credit card with a grand total of $283 with tax. Got the TRW with lifetime warranty. Having them put in this coming Wednesday or Thursday. The guy estimated $100 labor, but we'll wait and see. I'll still have to have it aligned after the fact.

Good luck with the install. Keep us updated on the results!
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    I've done this job myself on my 97. As cheap as I am, I would have considered having someone else do it for $100. A5 150K, had very bad inside tire wear. Passenger side was noisy at low speed, but absolutely couldn't feel any play when jacked up. Ended up replacing both hubs, lower ball joints and tie rod ends. Did my own home toe in alignment (this was ok prior to work). 20K later the tire wear is still even without professional alignment. It may be an optical illusion, but the tires still look like they bow out like crazy. Inclinometer and wear say no. I agree that an alignment may not be necessary.
    If you are replacing ONLY the lower ball joints, then everything does go back to the factory settings. If you are also replacing the uppers, then they may need adjustment. If you look on the passenger side upper A arm, you can see the mechanism for adjustment.

Re:idntnvu

The replacemnet ball joints on my wife's truck are sealed, but I asked the 2 service people if they have seen people come in for second replacements. Both said no, the part has been redesigned with a new part number. We'll see I guess....
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    just curious, why do you think idntnvu is wasting his money replacing the ball joints?
  • coltpeytcoltpeyt Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) - have filed a civil suit against Ford for multiple failures (Lemon Law). Transmission, Rear end and 4WD problems...

One issue that baffles me - when going down the highway at normal speeds 40 to 60 mph - the vehicle stays straight on the road. Upon acceleration - the vehicle does a hard veer to the left. Been to the Dealer 3 times, and they have checked with the Ford Engineers, and they say this is "normal torque steer". Does anyone have an opinion if this is right? In all my years of driving - I've never known a car to do this?
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    Where do you think the waste was, buying the ball joints, or buying the truck?

I think he paid a little too much for the upper ball joints, but the $100 labor is excellent if that is for replacing all 4 of them. It sounds like the price is right, and the peace of mind will be priceless!
    It's more common on front drive cars. Is your Explorer AWD or 4WD? Does this occur with the front drive engaged?
    Yes nvbanker, I'm curious on that myself ;)

I'm wondering if maybe you're saying I wasted my money on the truck in the first place.

I was told that both lowers NEED to be replaced, and one of the uppers, so they said why not replace both of them while they were at it. The ones I got are TRW from Advance, with a lifetime warranty. So I seriously doubt I'll have ball joint problems again.

I was told that my front end was out of alignment now because of the bad joints, and would require at least half a shim to get it back in line, possibly a whole shim. Do you think I still need it?
    This is what the guy quoted me, and I have to say I admire you for doing it yourself. I wish I could have, but I'm just not that mechanically inclined. Whenever myself, my dad, or even my grandpa (it's genetic) attempt to tackle a big job like that, it ends up taking 3 times as long because a bunch of other crap goes wrong in the process. I just leave it to the pros.

As for paying too much for the parts, I had heard the TRW front end stuff was really good, that coming from my boss at the bus garage, who's had plenty of experience in this kind of thing. I also wanted something with a lifetime warranty, and Advance is about the only place that offers that. It's not too late to take them back, haven't had it done yet. What would you guys have done different?
    "What would you guys have done different?"

Nothing, but I would go for the allignment, couldn't hurt:)
    This is what the guy quoted me, and I have to say I admire you for doing it yourself. I wish I could have, but I'm just not that mechanically inclined. Whenever myself, my dad, or even my grandpa (it's genetic) attempt to tackle a big job like that, it ends up taking 3 times as long because a bunch of other crap goes wrong in the process. I just leave it to the pros.

I have always drawn the line at suspension and exhaust systems. Mainly because I never had the correct tools to do the job right. All other aspects of cars I have no problem with.

I think you got a great price for what you are having done.

BTW....nvbanker, from what I recall, thought you were crazy for buying the vehicle.

We have all made mistakes...it's what we learn from those mistakes that makes us stupid or not.

:-)
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Yup, you guys nailed it- just got a call from my service advisor; they replaced one insulator bushing, fixing the squeaking. Only took them about an hour and a half, they must keep those parts in stock as well. I'm interested to see how much they would have charged for one out of warranty.

Unfortunately she said they could not duplicate the distortion noise I am getting from some of my speakers (sounds like I blew out one or two of them, lol). But speakers are cheap, right? Maybe I should just throw some nice aftermarket ones in there. Experiences or suggestions?
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    Maybe he said $100 per side or is this a good friend that needs money too. This is a job where you have to be comfortable with beating on things. I bought a ball joint press for $30 and still had to make some adaptors to get it off. Mine is 4WD and you need to get creative if you don't take the half shafts out, like having two jacks. Definitely one of the harder jobs to do and more than standard tools are needed.
    If the guy actually working on the truck says it needs alignment, then it does. We're just guessing here, but he actually sees and touches it.

As far as TRW parts, they're good for the price. I'm pretty sure they used to be an OEM supplier for Ford but were dropped in the early 90s. That said, I use them too because I'm cheap.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    "Time is Limited - Program Ends March 31, 2005 Regardless of mileage. 2004 and 2005 Explorer equipped with 5R55S, 5R55E, or 5R44E transmissions."

"Your vehicle was filled at the assembly plant with tranny fluid, that may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements etc etc. They are going to FOC install a bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E additive.

Customer satisfaction program, 04B22."

I recently had the solenoid replaced deal. Not sure how this effects me. I have call into the dealer.

reg.

• frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    just found this:

http://www.flatratetech.com/
    Actually, the guy quoted me $50 per side, so $100 total. Taking it tomorrow to drop it off. I'll be drivin a Toyota til it's fixed :).
    Thanks for your reply! My truck has the Auto 4WD, but then has the buttons to manually engage high/low as well.

In your opinion a hard pull to the left is "normal", and this would also be considered safe. The Dealer said I just need to be sure to "tightly hold on to the steering wheel".
    just a thought, try going into 4 high and accelerating(not on a dry road). maybe one of the axles is engaging.

i don't think the pull is normal. it is the front that is pulling left, not the back?
  • 1stmountie1stmountie Member Posts: 13
    I'm getting a bit discouraged and have lost alot of my enthusiasm with my 04 Mountie.

I also received the letter from Ford about the tranny fluid. There was an article posted in the money and investing section on excite.com's website that addressed this more than 6 weeks prior. It was because of this article that I called my Mercury Dealership to schedule an appointment because I indeed had the problem of the harsh reverse engagements. Service department told me it was a solenoid problem. They never mentioned anything about the fluid. Brought it in Saturday after Thanksgiving and they replaced the solenoid. Guess what? Problem reared it's ugly head again. Brought it in 12/27/04 and I was told the replacement solenoid that was put in was defective. They replaced it again. It is now 2 plus weeks since and I am still experiencing this problem. Looks like I will have to arrange a third visit for the same problem.

For some reason, I cannot get this to hyperlink, but this is the link to the excite.com article.

http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge.jsp?news_id=cmt-327w6868&a- mp;feed=cmt&date=20041122
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Yes, there are a few "ongoing issues" with the Explorer and Mountie. Make sure you buy an exteneded warranty for the vehicle. You can save a lot of money on the web on these. I bought mine form Lombard Ford over the net!

Good luck!
    I had the exact same issues with my 2004 Explorer purchased in Dec 03. Repeated trips to dealership - and still doing same thing with transmission hesitation/slipping. I have hired an attorney as in my State this vehicle qualifies as a "lemon". The Manufacturer has 3 reapir attempts to remedy - before it is called a "lemon". I gave Ford 4+++ attempts...

Check your States lemon laws...

Ford should be ashamed of this product!
    There is the issue that I advised not to buy this particular truck. But mainly, I don't think ball joints are that bad, I think this truck has bad abuse history.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    On an '02 Explorer have just noticed something on the inside of the lens in the area of the odometer and oil pressure gage. It looks like a series of small dots with some substance connecting them. Definitely on the inside, not outside.

Had vehicle in for replacement of differential(under extended warranty) and recall on rear hatch and asked them to look at the lens and was told it looks like some kind of liquid and removing it would not be covered under warranty. I argued to no avail that nothing I did would have caused this. The vehicle has not been submerged or gotten wet inside. Has anyone experienced this?
    Well it may, but when I got it, it was spotless, and I haven't abused it myself. It has the tow package on it, and I'm sure whoever had it before put that on there for a reason, otherwise they would've just put a ball on the bumper and went with it. I know you advised me not to get it, but like I said before, at the time I desperately wanted out of what I had before I had to replace the clutch the second time, it was exactly what I was looking for, was very reasonable, had low mileage, etc etc etc. I guess at the time, I didn't know just how right you were. I'll have to listen closer next time ;). I do value your opinions though, now.

So I didn't listen, but now I'm stuck with it, so just hear me out and try to put that behind us. I'm not the only one on here having problems, even though I do apparently complain a lot. I'll try to keep that to a minimum from now on. However when I do have a problem, you better believe you guys will be hearing about it!
    Ford should be ashamed of this product!

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I would say Ford should be ashamed of their service departments.

I had AC problems on my 97 Exploder and the first time I took it in they pressure tested the system and told me that it just needed a recharge. One week later I brought it back in to them and they told me that now it needed a new o-ring. One more week later I brought it in again and they told me that it needed a new compressor.

Seems to me someone needs some more training. :-)
    just because your explorer has a towing package, doesn't mean it was used to tow. i have the towing pkg, but use the receiver to hold my bike rack. as a matter of fact, uhaul won't even rent me a trailer! if the ball joints are bad, get them fixed, and keep up your maintenance.
    Got the explorer back today, new ball joints installed. It drives muuuuch better. I have an appointment next week to get it aligned. He said that the driver's side popped right back in where it was supposed to be, but the passenger side needs the camber adjusted. He only charged me $100 labor. So far, I'm up to $383, and after the alignment, balance and rotate ($42.95), I'll come in at $425.95 for the whole thing. Heck of a lot better than the $600 the first place told me.

Explorerx4, you may very well be correct, but I honestly think it was used for towing. When I got it on June 2, 2003, it had 32k miles on it. There is a big gouge in the bumper next to where the ball would go, so that tells me it was backed up to something. It might have been a boat, a camper, a small trailer to haul a lawnmower...could be anything, but it pulled something. You can tell it's been used. The evidence is right there.

At any rate, the ball joints are replaced now, and I'm happy. I'll keep my mouth shut until something else catestrophic happens to it. hopefully that'll be a long, long time. I have a newfound confidence in it. Thanks for all the help and advice.
    If you're serious about listening to me next time - don't replace the Explorer with a Nissan.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    ****If you're serious about listening to me next time - don't replace the Explorer with a Nissan.****

LOL, you must be referring to what I did. A Pathfinder is a good bet, but not a Titan. Holy cow, what a nightmare. I even had my 04 Explorer back as a loaner for a while. Made me kind of miss the truck, it never gave me that much trouble, I had brief thoughts of buying it back.
    And no, I'm not sure the Pathfinder is a good bet either, akangl...... based on my current Infiniti's performance...

I told him not to buy that particular Explorer, it was offered too cheaply, and I figured it had been running the AlCan or something its whole life. It's been a problem and how, he's regretting it, and thinking about replacing it with a Pathfinder. I wouldn't look that way for relief if I were him. That's all I'm saying.
    I just posted a comment on real world trade values akangl, about how when you were complaining about the Explorer, and traded it for the Titan, that "I'd see you on the Titan board in a couple of months." I like the look of the Titans, but I'm sure since it's Nissan's first attempt at a full size truck, there are gonna be tons of bugs to be worked out. The '06 or '07 might be okay.

Okay, time to heed your advice, nvbanker. If, and only IF, I decide to trade come summer time, what would you recommend me look for? Keep in mind I'm looking for something in the $10k-$16k range. I'm positive I wanna stick with something about the same size, not sure I could go back to something small like a Rav4 or a CRV. I like Tundras and Tacomas, they'd have to be extended cab, and I'd prefer the Tacoma to be the 4 door version. I like the 4Runners, especially the Sport version with the hood scoop, but they're so expensive I seriously doubt I could find one in my price range with decent mileage. What other good bets are there our there in the quad cab, ext cab truck, mid size suv genre, oh wise and insightful nvbanker? ;)
    Toyota/Honda only safer bet for you.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    LOL, after what I've been through in the past few days I'm going to agree with you nvbanker.

Although the older Paths are good rigs, as are the older Quests. However, I don't think that anything has the refinement of Toyota or Honda. I should have bought a Toyota last summer instead of my Nissan. Ah well, live and learn.
    I'm really thinking that I'm gonna get a truck next time. I've looked a several Tundras and just the extended cab is enough for me, plus I'd be getting about the same gas mileage with a V8 as I'm getting now with the V6 Explorer. Only problem is, most of them have upwards of 70k miles on them.

Really the only Honda "suv" that appeals to me is the Element. The CRVs are nice, and the Element is based on the CRV...so probably not much a difference. I like the fact that the Element has a rubber floor and waterproof seats, which make cleaning it out a snap.

There is a possibility (a good one) that I'll be moving to NC come late spring early summer, and while there still is snow down there, theres not nearly as much as up here in VA, so I may break down and get a car rather than a 4x4.

However, my fear is with the cost of the move I will no longer be able to afford a higher payment on a car. I can only hope the Explorer holds up. It doesn't really like warm weather, lol.
    I just got this letter as well. Of course my dealer is already out of their first shipment of this stuff. Anyways, does anybody have an idea about what this additive might be? It is supposed to keep the transmission fluid from causing delayed/harsh shifts. Is it some kind of friction modifier, or "slick 50"-like product?
    I don't. Spõke with my advisor yesterday about it also. He is also out of the additive, however, when I told him mine already goes into reverse like a freight train and misses 3rd half the time, he said its too late for me anyway.
    Wonderful, so should I spring for a flush before they add whatever it is? I'm at 13,600 miles. I had the solenoid done and that fixed me up, but the advisor said that only a couple of quarts of fluid are changed when they do that (whatever's in the pan when they drop it). I still feel it going into reverse but it's no worse than my '01 mustang, pop's taurus or in-laws F-150 (all with 40k or more).
  • catperezcatperez Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

I am in need of some advice here. I have a 97 5.0 AWD Ford Explorer. The problem that I am having is when I am at a complete stop and I accelerate fast I here a loud noise , it's hard to describe, My co worker thought it was the motor mounts, but when he check it out he said that was not the case, the noise is something similar to this (motor mounts). It only happens when I accelerate from the get go. PLEASE HELP ME

Any feed backs are greatly appreciative

catperez
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Perhaps if you would make an attempt to describe the noise someone here might recognize the "symptoms."

tidester, host
    I am in need of some advice here. I have a 97 5.0 AWD Ford Explorer. The problem that I am having is when I am at a complete stop and I accelerate fast I here a loud noise , it's hard to describe, My co worker thought it was the motor mounts, but when he check it out he said that was not the case, the noise is something similar to this (motor mounts). It only happens when I accelerate from the get go. PLEASE HELP ME

Is it an immediate noise or is there a delay before you hear it? (one second...half second)

Is it a metallic sounding clunk or a muffled thunk?

:-)....you may think me asking these questions sounds funny but it can tell a lot.

Is it coming from the front, middle, or back of the vehicle?

(I assume the front since your co-worker thought it was the engine mounts)

One more....how was it determined that it "wasn't" the engine mounts?
    Just judging from my experience, if you're @ 13K and doing ok, I'd risk waitlng for the additive to come in. They are rebuilding my transmission for me now, no argument, so if yours goes bad in in the interim, you'll get a new one. You have plenty of warranty left.
  • catperezcatperez Member Posts: 4
    Right after I accelerate (half second) I hear a "thump" right under the drivers side! The noise is something like -someone hits it with a very big sledge hammer. Another ex. (make a fist and proceed to hit your work desk ) this is somewhat similar to the noise I hear- it's only in the front of the car, under the drivers side. I hope this helps....thx guys!!!