Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• catperezcatperez Member Posts: 4
    One more....how was it determined that it "wasn't" the engine mounts?

Forgot to answer this one...My coworker opened the front hood and I proceeded to press on the gas and said the engine did not lift up, but we heard the noise anyways.....hope this answers your question.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Right after I accelerate (half second) I hear a "thump" right under the drivers side! The noise is something like -someone hits it with a very big sledge hammer. Another ex. (make a fist and proceed to hit your work desk ) this is somewhat similar to the noise I hear- it's only in the front of the car, under the drivers side. I hope this helps....thx guys!!!

I hear that fist hitting the work desk thump all of the time (remind to get a new work desk soon)

Actually I usually hear the thump of my head hitting the work desk.

:-)

You did say it is a V8 right? That tells me that it most likely has dual exhaust. It could be that the thumping is part of the exhuast system hitting on the underside of the floorboards under the drivers side.

I'm sure the engine does twist some in the engine mounts (as all engines do when revv'd) just not as pronounced as if a mount was broken. I have seen when exhaust systems, if mounted incorrectly, have banged into the body frame.

Check that out and let us know what you find.

good luck
  • catperezcatperez Member Posts: 4
    thx nitromax

I will let ya all know what i find out...hopefully this weekend!

And yes It's a V8 w/dual exhaust.

perez
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    What happened with the Titan? I hadn't heard
    If it's not motor mounts, I would look at front suspension parts next.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My expectations were met once again - took my 04 Mountaineer in for the transmission recall - dealer did not have the additive required in stock (which didn't surprise me), but my advisor asked me if the transmission had been acting up yet. It had been, and I told him it had both been reverse engaging harshly and slipping into 3rd. He said it was too late for me already, and they would repair the transmission instead. I left the car yesterday, picked it up today, and it works perfectly. They gave me a Town Car loaner free as they normally do to drive while I had it in. A very pleasant and easy experience. This is what I usually experience from my L/M dealer, and is why I've been driving Lincolns for 15 years. The cars are machines, and they do malfunction sometimes, but they all do that. Getting them taken care of is as hassle free as it gets at this dealership.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    ****What happened with the Titan? I hadn't heard****

Which one? Number 1 or number 2? I should have stayed with Ford (yes, I know nvbanker will say "I told ya so"). My Focus has been perfect in 6 mos and 19k miles.
  • hgoliohgolio Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Explorer XLT with 75k with reverse sensors. At around 50k, the sensors malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. They are not working once again. When I put the car in reverse and there is something behind me, you hear a quick tone and then it shuts off. The button/light on the dashboard then indicates the sensors are off and each time I press the button, the sensors stay off. When I then place the car in drive, the sensor "off" light will stay on until I press the button and it goes off. Would anyone have any ideas as to the problem before I bring it in for service? It is to be noted that there are 4 sensors in the rear bumper and I have made sure they stay clean.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Got it aligned on Friday. I'd never been to the place I took it to, and when I came in I told them I had an appt. It took about 50 minutes, and I was ready to go, however they hadn't balanced and rotated like they were supposed to via the original appt. So they did that for free, but I had to wait an additional hour. Still, not bad for an alignment, balance and rotate: $34.95. That brings my total for front end work to $417.95. I'm happy now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    aka... i have a focus too. bought it to keep some miles off our other vehicles, kind of like you.

we drive it a lot more than we thought we would because we like it so much. mine has tons of options, but it sat around for a long time so i got a great deal on it. it's 'light tundra'. maybe that's a popular color in Alaska? doesn't seem to be so in Connecticut. :)

i have 40k on my '02 explorer, still with the original goodyear tires. snow driving performance is way better than my newer focus, though.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I drive Zippy (my Focus) everyday, poor car doesn't sit still much, turned 6 months old on the 21st and will have 20k miles on it this week. I run Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 on it and its a little tank. No trouble in 6-8 inches of snow or high winds or snow drifts, no trouble anywhere for that matter. Not even at 56 below zero. Just a great little car.

I have different words for my other vehicle, but we'll leave it at that.
    WOW, you got your money's worth. I can never find a place to do a basic alignment for under $60. I bet they called you "coupon cutter" on your way out.
    "****What happened with the Titan? I hadn't heard****

Which one? Number 1 or number 2? I should have stayed with Ford (yes, I know nvbanker will say "I told ya so"). My Focus has been perfect in 6 mos and 19k miles."

So I geuss the answer to that question is "many bad things"
    Actually, no, $34.95 is their regular price for a front end alignment. Sometimes you can find honest people out there who aren't trying to rob you in order to pay for expensive equipment. They actually had one of the most advanced alignment systems I've seen, it even prints out how much your alignment was out, and what it corrected it to on a sheet of paper. I told them they've definitely got my business from now on, even if they did forget the balance and rotate. I'll probably go back to them for tires when I need them, since I'm now boycotting my old garage which was also my source for tires.
  • madmikemadmike Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

This is driving me crazy! 2001 Ford Explorer, brake light/turn signal not working on drivers side. Bulbs replaced, fuse checked, not the problem. I switch the bulb casing between sides and both work on the right but not the left. I checked with power meter and no power coming into the rear left before getting to bulb casing.

I guess I need to check the signal switch to see if there is power and maybe the trailer plug but not sure how to do that? Can you help? Thanks... madmike
    ****So I geuss the answer to that question is "many bad things"****

The first one had tons of problems, the dealer stepped up and replaced it. The second one started out great, but hit 2800 miles and the engine started knocking, plus the power windows quit working. Its been at the dealer for 2 weeks, the part for whatever is wrong with the engine is backordered for another 6 weeks.

I miss my Ford, the service dept is so much better. Glad I still have my Focus.
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    You are both right. Unfortunantly, all you get is adjusting the tie rod ends and adjusting the upper pass side A arm for that. If you have to change the fixed bushing parts (as many Explorers need) it will be a lot more than that. Basically, that is the price to check the alignment.
    aka... i'll have to agree with you, our focus is a much more enjoyable car than we thought it would be. i only average about 1k per month.
    Keep in mind I don't live in the "big city." All I care is that they get it aligned, don't care how they do it, as long as it's reasonable.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Took my '05 Mountaineer with 2 day's in advance appointment. They had the additive and put it in after the engine cooled.

Anyone know what this stuff is, and whether I should put some in again, and after how many miles?
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Had mine ('04 X) done Saturday. My advisor told me that the additive is designed to bring the mixture of the transmission fluid up to design spec (like the letter said, it was filled incorrectly at the time of manufacture). So something was left out. She said, and I quote "it is something that was supposed to be in there in the first place." That's all I could get from her, she was very busy.

I wouldn't think it would need to be added again. If you ever have it flushed, just ask if they are using the new formulation of fluid when they fill it back up (you never know).
  • ukkatsukkats Member Posts: 2
    Check Engine light is on, 2000 6 cyl Explorer, spend $75, told it was a loose vacuum hose, no parts replaced. Within a day light back on, return to shop, ok for another 2 day. After 6 trips like this I was told they would run a "smoke test", replaced CVR Intake manifold gasket F57Z 9E436AA @ $3.39, Exhaust seal, gas recirculating tube F67Z 9J469 AA @ $6.62, plus $192.88 labor (they tell me that my original $75 was ceducted before I was charged $192.88, I do not believe this story). How many hours does it take to do this job?
    Around 2 1/2 hours seems about right for that work, so that price is in line. Just be glad they had the integrity to deduct their original fee. Now if they only had competence to match the integrity, you wouldnt have to make 6 trips to get it fixed.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I jst read your post and today it so happened that the same problem occred to my 2002 Explorer Limited...have you fixed the problem yet?...any info will be helpfull..i am still under the magic 36k miles...thanks
  • rifferiffe Member Posts: 3
    Having a common problem. Vehicle seems to be stuck in 4WD in the auto mode. Switching motor seems to be working I hear the clicks when switching to 4WD low and 4WD high. But vehicle is binding when making turns in the front end. Any ideas if its not the switching motor.
  • dpuentedpuente Member Posts: 1
    the multi function switch is dirty, and no makes a good contact clean it. if you don´t want to open the steering, apply compressed air in the entrance of the direction lever and next an electronic cleaner with silicone, repeat until it work.
  • hgoliohgolio Member Posts: 6
    I haven't fixed the problem yet as I'm not due for my next service until March. I am out of warranty (78K) so if you bring it into the shop first, I would be very interested to find out what the problem is.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..well....hard to believe but yesterday I took the SUV to the car wash...yes after a long week after the storm we had in Nj..and to my surprise when i got home the sensors worked perfect...i wonder if they got really dirty..but I will keep an eye on them....no more swith turning itself off either..
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    Is this the 4405 4WD AUTO? These have a wet clutch that puts them into 4WD. The motor only switches it into HI and LO. In fact it is possible to have 2WD LO as well as NEUTRAL if the vehicle is towed behind a motor home. Anyway, if fluid gets low in the transfer case this clutch can stick pretty bad. One common problem is the rear seal leaks as the result of the rear half of the cast housing wearing out. Check level at top fill hole. It is a good idea to change the fluid at this time, about 1 3/4 quarts. If leaking, check the reat drive shaft at the case for up/down play in newreal. Please use caution by fully blocking the wheels so it doesn't roll over you. The seal can easily be replaced, but if there is case play it will start leaking again in six months.
    Thank you for your response. I believe the transfer case is the 4405, I'm certain that the manufacturer is Borg Warner. Could you explain to me in detail how the Control-trac is designed to function in the auto mode and the mechanics of the wet clutch? I understand that the transfer case is equiped with sensors TRUE? Can they be cleaned or serviced without damage?

regards
  • gasoonergasooner Member Posts: 5
    I've noticed a slight leak in the rear end of my 2002 Ford Explorer. Has anyone else experienced this? How much is the fix?
  • ukkatsukkats Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your feedback.
  • wkendwarrwkendwarr Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to see if anybody else is having this issue..I have a 2004 xlt and have a pronounced shuddering and chattering noise coming from my rear limited slip differential. took it in and was told by the tech that this is a known problem and Ford issued a Service pack for a replacement clutch pack for the diff...but if it is installed I would lose my limited slip capabilities.. contacted Ford and they told me "Live with it or with-out it, my choice"

Has anyone else had this issue... I am about to take it back in and have them replace the entire diff..
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    The Ford people tells me I need to replace my rear axle. It's nosey. I have changed the fluid when

required. I really do not trust the Ford people here... not when they are asking 1,280.00 +- for the repair. So my question is.. Has anyone else out there had a problem with their rear axle.

The truck is a 1998 4x4 Explorer
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    I had mine fixed at about 35k , You could do it your self it would be easy to do , Just make sure you get the weight ,
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    2002 explorer.

when i open the doors, sometimes the interior lights go on, sometimes they dont. rather annoying,especially at night when i try to put the kids in, and i have to open a 2nd door or use the unlock fob to turn on the lights. no other problems, but the curious things is... it is intermittent. sometimes I'll open a door, and the lights turn on in the interior. other times, nothing. whenever a 2nd door is opened, the lights always turn on. any thoughts? my concern is the inconsistency, more than anything else.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Is there a switch in the door jam area that triggers those lights to go on? (there must be)

lights? more than one? or just the dome light?

Perhaps the switch is dirty/clogged or maybe it has a loose connection. You may also want to check the dome light to see if something is loose there.
    It is 7 years old and sometimes rear axles wear out prematurely. I don't know of anything to be done except just paying up and getting it fixed.
    Is it still under warranty? Those answers from the dealer and the service line don't make sense.
    Still under warranty Vehicle only has 13000 miles on it....Dealer told me that it was a know problem on the Limited Slip Clutch packs for both the explorer and Mustang... They told me the service pack would take away the limited slip capabilities and that they would go away anyway after about 70 - 80K miles from natural wear... Ford Customer Service did place a Complaint into Engineering about it for me...but I kinda got the same answers...replace it with the Service pack and not have the limited slip, or just live with the chattering/shuddering
    I had my transfer case serviced today. BW4405 Fluid was not low, just very dirty. No change vehicle seems to be stuck in 4WD, I've checked the switching motor on the transfer case its working OK. I'm thinking its perhaps a shaft speed sensor (front or rear). Requesting information on these sensors. What the proper name for them if I call the Ford dealer to get pricing? Where are they located? Any info you can give me will be appreciated.
    i think mine is just like that. i keep thinking the timer shuts off the lights and then they don't go back on when you open the door(usually the next day). i have waited in the garage a few times to see if the lights turn off after a bit, and they always do. you could always use the fob to unlock all the doors. i know my puddle and interior lights come with 1 push of the unlock button.
    yes, i know there is a 109 minute delay after which everything goes out to save the battery. what seems odd is that it is inconsistent like you, one hit of the key fob and everything lights up. guess overall its probably normal
    one thing for sure, i'm not going to wait 110 minutes to see if that works! i have always wondered about why the interior lights don't always go on when i open the door, but i figured i would just drive myself crazy, trying to nail down the circumstances.
    sorry - typo. there is a 10 minute delay after which all power is cut off to save battery, not 109. i have tried (unsuccessfully) to duplicate the problem, but, at best, it is inconsistent.
  • macattackmacattack Member Posts: 1
    I used to own a 98 Ford Bronco 4x4 fully loaded. I lost my left rear tire on the highway going 60mph+. I saw other Broncos with the same problem. Then my Bronco burned to the ground one summer eve. I swore to myself and friends that I would never buy a Ford product again. My father had a 95 Explorer Limited and kept it till 2003 when he replaced it with a 2003 Limited. He never had a problem with the 1995 Explorer. I bought a few Chevy’s and loved them till I was hired by Ford Motor Credit and got an employee discount. Just in time since I was incurring huge repair bills with my Tahoe. I thought since I was getting such a great discount I would replace my Tahoe with a Explorer. My Explorers window sticker was 34,000.00 I got it for 25,000.00.Paid cash..Pretty good deal. The leather interior is alright nothing special. After I had it about a month I noticed when going in reverse and turning in drive that the transmission seemed to slam hard. I took it in and that they said they fixed it. Well a month later same problem, did the same thing and was told it was fixed. I bought this vehicle in May 04 and now have 19,571 miles on it. I commute to Denver CO everyday and I am now noticing the same thing and also a hesitation when accelerating on the highway. The Ford dealer has no idea what to do at this point. Personally I think the dealers are a bunch of idiots. Seems like buying a good Explorer is hit or miss. Good luck dealing with Ford it seems like you have a long road ahead of you. Also this may help you a bit. Ford dealers receive a list of possible problems or defects (this is not a recall list) from Ford Motor Company and transmission problems and 4WD and torque are some of the problems listed. The dealer may show you the list if they like you and you ask nicely. They don't have to. I have the list for 2003 and 2004 but I will have to look around my office for it. When I find it I will list the problems that relate to you and the Company directed repairs. Might help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe GMAC is hiring :-)

Is that Ford list the same as the technical service bulletins that get sent around?

Steve, Host
    just a update... looks like Ford has made the replacement of the rear diff a option if the customer wants to fix the limited slip problem...
  • troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    gasooner, I just noticed same thing on our 2002 Mountaineer with 37K - did you ultimately fix yourself or take it to a shop? If so, how much was the fix? thanks
  • jan-arubajan-aruba Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Explorer XLT with a V-6 4,0 ltr SOHC with only 35.000 miles. Problem is car keeps on stalling and bad idle. Scanlizer said cam position sensor, cleared the code and installed new sensor, still the same, cleaned injectors, checked fuel pressure and fuelpump everything o.k Please could somebody help me with this problem because nobody here on Aruba can not even the Ford dealer, thanks very much Jan