Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    ckeatorckeator Member Posts: 10
    Bioman,

How much wear is left on your tires? If there is no noise during turning, then it most likely is not a CV joint or wheel bearing, as the noise will increase as the turning radius increases/decreases with those components.

My first guess would be tire wear, second guess would be brake/rotor shield, third guess would be strut/shock component.
  • Options
    oddpaintoddpaint Member Posts: 1
    New to the Forum here. I have a 95 XLT with 200K w/ 4 wheel ABS. This weekend I changed out the front disc and pads. Not a major job. Well on the test drive I found a BIG problem. Houston we have a ABS problem. (getting the soft pedal and the pedal chattering under 10 MPH and NO ABS Light) I have seen this problem talked about on may forums.

I was thinking that I got air in the ABS system. At this point I was thinking BIG problem. I need some help. After 2 auto repair shops, the locale FORD dealer and $50. every one told me it was the ABS pump ($1900 from Ford and $1100 part store). I could not believe that changing the Disc would make the ABS go out.

So I started looking around some more and found the comments on here. So with new hope I looked at the speed sensors. I found that the toothed integral rings (the disc the speed sensor reads) was warped on both sides. After getting the spacing between the speed sensor and toothed integral rings set. I did and test drive. NO MORE PROBLEM.
  • Options
    joanzinjoanzin Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I am new here and was brought to this forum because I was looking for more information on rust issues on braking systems on 02 explorers. I found a post here from another member describing how their rotors and pads on a 72,000 mile 02 explorer needed to be replaced all the way around. Another member told them that this was normal wear.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL WEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wear is one thing....rust is another on a 3 year old vehicle. Since when does using your breaks cause rust???

I had the same happen to me on my 02 explorer but far worse that could have gotten me and my children killed. I was taking my truck in to get the breaks fixed after it started to rub a little telling me it needed pads. It didn't rub long before the whole break system locked up and blew out on the way to the mechanic. The calipers actually fell off!!! I had NO BRAKES what so ever!!

When they took apart the breaks....they were sooooooooooo rusted...the emergency break fell off as what happened to the other member here who posted about this first. There was NO BRAKES WHAT SO EVER!!!! This is a defect...not caused from wear.

The rotors, calipers, pads and emergency breaks had to be replaced on all four wheels. Amazing on a 3 year old vehicle. (Just turned 3!!)

Chrysler has had recalls in the recent past because of road salt causing rotors to rust and crack from road salt. Chrysler is part of Ford.

If anyone else has had trouble like this on a three year old vehicle...please contact me at joanzin@mindless.com....I wouls appreciate any information. I am currently filling a complaint with the Highway Saftey Dept in hopes of spuring a quick investigation before anyone gets killed from these faulty brake systems that give no warning that they will blow and will end up leaving you with absolutely no brakes what so ever...not even an emergency brake.I have a feeling this is just the beginning of this problem....I am sure after the road salt rusts a few more systems...you'll hear more about this on the news.

If anyone else here has this problem....PLEASE contact me...you just might be helping save a life.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...please contact me at ****@***.***

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits.

tidester, host
  • Options
    biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Thanks Wijoco & Ckeator!! Although the truck does not have wheel bearings (I think), it does have axle shaft bearings. The noise I am getting does sound like a bearing that is going bad. There is plenty of tread left on the tires and the brake rotor shield is not getting in the way of any other component. The shocks are fine- not leaking fluid or loose, bent etc. Since I do not pull front ends apart anymore, I made an appointment to bring the truck in to a repair shop and have them check it out. Thanks for the input and advice. I let you know what the was repaired.

Bioman
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Wow...where to start. First of all, it's "brakes." Second, you only have emergency brakes on the rear wheels. The emergency brake is just a cable connecting to a mechanism inside the rear calipers. It compresses the pads on the rotor just like the hydraulic brake. Third, Chrysler is not part of Ford.

How much did the collision repairs cost? Because with no brakes whatsoever, obviously you couldn't stop the vehicle.

How many miles on the vehicle? Age doesn't matter if it's high mileage. Brake pads wear, and the noise you heard was the pad shattering, and the rivets grinding into the rotor. I seriously doubt the calipers themselves "fell off". If the pads wear down too far, the friction material disintegrates. Surface rust is normal on brake parts, except for the rotor contact surface (which wouldn't cause the brakes to fall apart anyway). Because you saw rust doesn't mean anything was defective. Based on what you posted, the brake work could just as easily be from a lack of maintenance as poor quality.
  • Options
    joanzinjoanzin Member Posts: 2
    Wijoco,

Thanks for your interest in my problem with my brakes. Forgive me if I had made an error in thinking that Ford was part of Chrysler...my brother in law told me they were all in the same.

But the brake system did fail do to rust...the mechanic told me the caliper was so rusted that it just fell off when I went to brake....my brakes went clear to the floor and I had NONE!! He told me that was the thud I heard when I went to start breaking...I had mentioned it to him.

And the emergency brakes are actually separate. I had an extra charge to have those pads and parts replaced above the costs for the calipers, rotors, pads and what not all to be replaced all the way around. The mechanic had to call me to get the okay to repaair those as well....they do have seperate pads.

I contacted another member here who told me his emergency brake pads fell off in two peices when they went to repairs his brakes all the way around from rust as well. This is unheard of from a three year old vehicle. Breaks should rust on any vehicle like this that is under ten years of age. Rust is one thing...wear is another. Even the mechanic was shocked at what he found and gave me all of the parts back to prove these are faulty brake systems. He said he has never heard of any break system rusting like this....he was speachless.

I just hope noeone gets killed from this. This is Amerca's number one family vehicle...it's scary when you think what could happen with faulty brakes and children. My brakes just started to rub a few days prior to this telling me it probably needed pads. I had no clue the whole system was gonna go like this. I saw the pads after they were replaced and they look as if they could even stand more wear. This is a rust issue because of crappy material used when they designed these breaks. The mechanic said moisture was thru the whole system. I have maintained my vehicle like it should be and bath it fequently. There is no excuse for a three year old system to rust. Sorry...using your breaks don't cause rust. It will cause wear. These failed because of rust.

Thanks,
    Take Care,
    Joni
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    I apologize, you're right about the parking brake. I hadn't seen the drum-in-rotor setup. What state did you live in and how many miles were on the Explorer?

Again I understand that the parts were rusted, that is normal. But I maintain that surface rust doesn't destroy caliper hardware, unless the steel bolts were defective when manufactured and had a weak point. And I still wonder if it wasn't the entire pad assembly that broke in half, but the pad lining from being too thin.
  • Options
    eldukieeldukie Member Posts: 1
    I found out three weeks ago that my 2004 XLT, 18k miles, has to have the "rear-end" replaced, primarily the entire rear differential. It has taken over three weeks now for all of the parts to come in. My dealer tells me that Ford has no parts tracking system, so they have no idea when I can expect to have the repairs completed. I asked the service technician if I should be concerned about driving the car, and the response was, "I don't think you should worry about it, but I wouldn't drive it all the way to Florida". (I live in CT). I've also had the harsh rear engage problem, and am having problems with the transmission hesitating frequently.

Should I be concerned about my wife driving this vehicle on the highway with two small children, prior to having the rear differential replaced?

This is my second Explorer, and is sure to be my last.
  • Options
    merc2002merc2002 Member Posts: 17
    well its been a week or more and the weather is decent and guess what???no creaks ..go figure....must have been the cold weather that did it...thx everyone for all the input..
  • Options
    does this problem carry over to the mountaineers also?i have 4 wheel disc with abs and awd so i'm just curious what the setup is on the 2002 explorer...hopefully its not a common problem
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    well its been a week or more and the weather is decent and guess what???no creaks ..go figure....must have been the cold weather that did it...thx everyone for all the input..

cold weather tends to make plastic contract a little which creates small gaps that were not there when the weather was warmer.

I usually hear more complaints about creaky dashboards and such during the winter months....which is understandable.

Glad the annoying creaks went away. If there was a way to easily get some silicone spray in there to lube that flap hinge, you may not have to listen to it next winter.....or it may loosen up a little on it's own and be a thing of the past. :)
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    there's no doubt in my mind that it is noticeable only in the cold weather...but, the fact that it creaks would have me concerned. assuming the vehicle is under warranty, i would have it fixed. you never know what long term effect this might have. if it is in fact defective, 5 years from now, it will probably cost you a bundle to get it fixed. mostly labor, i assume, since the dash needs to be removed. once ours was fixed, it made no more noise in the bitter weather. i have seen posts elsewhere about the blend door getting stuck - then you may have no hot air in the winter or no cold in the summer.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    how long have you had your explorer? i don't doubt you, but how do you know the mechanic showed you the right parts? there is a system on the explorer that can cause loss of 'power' braking. if you look at the master cylinder, there is a round plastic part connecting a hose to the master cylinder. it has a one time blow out piece. it happned to my wife, once. the brakes were fine. this was a '91 model. my '02 has the same piece. i just checked it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fmc12fmc12 Member Posts: 8
    i am in market for 02 explorer 4wd.any options to stay away from?how about v8 vs v6? also does anyone know if the class II receiver can be replaced with a classIII ?thanks
  • Options
    bmw31bmw31 Member Posts: 12
    fmc12,

where are you located?
  • Options
    i got a weird question...does the heat come out at your feet all the time?even when i have my controls set on defrost windshield i feel some heat through my console vents...when i switch it to just the side and middle vents i still feel some air coming from the floor vents...it seems that this vent is on all the time but not flowing fast...when i select the floor position then the vent really starts putting out the air...but its weird...any suggestions...i have 200 miles left on my warranty.....thx :confuse:
  • Options
    go with the 4.6L..
    1 mpg difference is worth the loss...i get 18-19 mpg avg and around 22 on the highway at 65mph...if i drive 55 on the flats i get around 23-24..i get better mpg than my sisters 2003 explorer XLT V6..go figure :shades:
  • Options
    dpsexplorerdpsexplorer Member Posts: 2
    :sick: I have a 1993 Explorer with low miles and in very good shape. A few month ago I hit a piece of metal in the road and it blew the front right tire and bounced off the bottom of the truck. Ever since that happened, I'm having a problem with the car alarm going off when it rains. I looked under there and don't see anything unusual. Can some tell me how to disable the alarm or if this can't be done, tell me where I can get details or diagram of the wiring for the alarm system? Any help would be greatly appreciated, since it is supposed to rain for the next 4 days. Thanks.
  • Options
    jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Had a noise like you are desrcribing on a 1996 Explorer I used to own. Turned out to be a bad front wheel bearing. Got louder the faster I drove.
  • Options
    About a year and a half ago, after washing my wife's Explorer with a power washer, I had the same thing happen. Would lock and unlock many times for about 20 mins or so. After it stopped it didn't do it again. Needless to say I am a bit more careful with the power washer. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Interesting Situation. I believe that the reason brakes rust is due to lack of use, not because of use. I have known some people to have to replace their brake rotors due to rusting because the vehicle sits outside and doesn't get used. If brakes become rusted and then used, and rusted and used over and over again, this will destroy the pad linings, and you will be looking at premature pad failure.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "i get 18-19 mpg avg and around 22 on the highway at 65mph...if i drive 55 on the flats i get around 23-24..i get better mpg than my sisters 2003 explorer XLT V6..go figure"

These figures are WAY TOO HIGH to be considered on any Explorer built after the 2001 model year. They are now different vehicles. My wife's '02 with the V6 is never more then 14 to 15 around town and never more than 20 mpg highway under 80 mph. Yes, it's true the V8 is only 1 to 2 mpg different. But consider the new model miles per gallon, not the older generation Explorer. BTW, my wife drives very conservatively.
  • Options
    jrc,

Thanks for the reply. It hasn't happened again, and nosing around under the hood on Sunday I noticed multiple bundles of electrical connections on the firewall, on the passenger's side. Deep water, when splashed, would have no problem dousing all the connections. ;)
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    i think that is normal. just like the air from the upper vents is always cooler than the floor vents. assuming you have the DEATC, it controls it automatically; make sure that when you put on vent or floor it comes out where you would expect it, that would indicate everything is probably OK.
  • Options
    idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I sat down and went over the past month's gas receipts and figured up the mileage on all of them. My best tank was 20.1, and the worst was 10.5, but that was only on 69 miles. The average was mostly 17-17.5. Kind of disappointing, but if it can do 20.1 once, it can do it again. Now I just gotta figure out how it got such good mileage out of that tank, haha.

as of right now, the orange exploder is doing pretty well. I've been in NC just shy of 2 months now and making a 64 mile daily commute to work and back 6 days a week. My job finished up, so I'm headed back to VA tomorrow. I'm afraid once I get back up there, the curse will open back up and things will start happening again, but then again, maybe not. I'm still smelling antifreeze and can't find where it's coming from, but it hasn't leaked down any.

I managed to get it good and stuck the other day in lots of mud and slick grass after 2 days of heavy rainfall. Luckily after waiting for an hour for a tow truck, I remembered a guy's phone number, who brought his Ford 4x4 tractor and pulled me right out. Cost me 2 bucks. Thats all he wanted. Tried to give him 5 and he wouldn't take it.

Other than that, doing great. Let's hope it keeps it up!

idntnvu
  • Options
    Wijoco & Ckeator you were right. Tires rotated and problem gone. I do rotate my tires every 5K, front to rear same side. Guess I will start to rotate the tires front right to left rear..... What I don't understand is why this happened. It is a characteristic of the Goodyear Wranglers? Is is a sign that I should consider replacing the tires that have been on the truck for 56K even though they have plenty of tread remaining? This is the first time this has happen to me in 47 years of driving. I did not escape with a simple tire rotation. The mechanic did find the lower ball joints showing signs of excess wear, one more that the other, so I had both replaced.

Once again, thanks for the input!

Bioman
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    What I don't understand is why this happened. It is a characteristic of the Goodyear Wranglers? Is is a sign that I should consider replacing the tires that have been on the truck for 56K even though they have plenty of tread remaining? This is the first time this has happen to me in 47 years of driving. I did not escape with a simple tire rotation. The mechanic did find the lower ball joints showing signs of excess wear, one more that the other, so I had both replaced.

The ball joints most likely would have caused the problem. I'm assuming your mechanic gave the truck an alignment after the replacement? If not, get it done.
  • Options
    expxltexpxlt Member Posts: 2
    Help please! My 98 Exlporer XLT V6 4WD has been making a loud "clunking" noise periodically when in reverse. Seems like something "dropped" or shifted in the front end, then grinding or rubbing feel on the front tires, especially driver's side. Put in drive and after a few minutes all seems ok again. After this happens, 4WD Hi & 4WD Lo dash lights blink on & off intermittently. Approximately 1mo ago, when problem started, took to mechanic, complete brake job (front & rear), replace left rear axle seal (mechanic said a leak in the rear differential) and oil change. Couple of weeks later problem happened again, back to mechanic. Mechanic re-did brake job (?) and lubed everything. Problem happened again, back to mechanic, finally happened when mechanic had it - replaced the rack and pinion, still happening. Back to mechanic, he's stumped, flushed fluids (at no charge), still happening. Any suggestions? Thanks. :confuse:
  • Options
    Bioman,

As for the tires, sometimes it's not the mileage, it's the age. How old were the tires---once they hit 5 years old, the sidewalls tend to get weak, and then all bets are off as to what is happening with the structural integrity.

My brother only had 10K on his last set, but had them for 6 years. The sidewall basically dry-rotted on the rims, with 40K of tread left... :(
  • Options
    expxlt,

Please do not take this badly, but first, go get yourself another mechanic. This is a driveline problem---as indicated by the flashing dash lights AND your description.

It could be anything from a driveshaft union, to a severely damaged transfer differential. The grinding feel could be a stuck gear within the transfer case, or worse yet, signs that your transmission is on the way to the grave.

How many miles on your exploder, has it been regularly maintained, and what repairs have you had completed on this vehicle?
  • Options
    then unless my fuel guage is faulty then my 390 mile road trip i took and filled up with 18 gallons of gas afterwards with(according to the info center)because of the "low fuel light" ,must never have happened......my 97 ford taurus gl with the 3.0 V6 got 290miles on a 1/2 tank of gas back and forth from yankee candle in Massachusetts to Amsterdam ny(almost 40 mpg)....and my 93 dakota sport automatic 2wd w/ tonneau cover w/ 3.9 V6 got 25mpg from Amsterdam to Lake Placid...so dont come back and flame me just because you can not believe those numbers...the only thing i can contribute these #'s 2 is the fact i run 92 octane on all the vehicles and have replaced every vehicles fluids with synthetics and additives form ZMAX or DURALUBE(replaced every 6k miles),REDLINE and have always tried to run MOBIL 1 or CASTROL SYNTEC(replaced at 3k) and change my fuel filter religiously around 25k,add injector cleaner every 2000 miles, run platinum plugs and 8mm-9mm plug wires(except the merc)since the 1st days of owning all the vehicles and keep my tires pressures to maximum allowed....i've got 195K on the dakota and 160k on the taurus and never had a engine problem once(knock on wood) :) brakes, shocks, cooling..thats a whole different deal :cry:
  • Options
    if you haven't already, go see a ford dealer and have them fix it..even though it may cost more this what they fix day in and day out........if i can't fix it, it now goes to a dealer but i demand all my parts back if they get replaced(thats my right )so i know i didn't get ripped off...they have no problem with that so far..good luck
    ps.to me it sounds like the 4wd drive system or tranny needs to looked at not the brakes also i think i think i read somewhere here in forum the 4wd center is giving off codes when its blinking..anyone know for sure???good luck
  • Options
    this isnt a explorer problem its a ford problem..my 97 still will not lock and it leaves its interior light on when it rains or i go through a car wash...i popped out the light and i deal with the door open light...was told its a solenoid in my door but when it gets warm and dry outside(opposed to humid) it locks my doors when i drive and the warning light goes out..so i never had it replaced
  • Options
    Ckeator

Thanks for the reply. I had the tires, Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, installed on 10/26/00 as a result of the Firestone recall. That means they've been on the truck for 4 years and a little over 5 months. I will monitor them very closely and probably replace them before the fall 2005.

Thanks,

Bioman
  • Options
    expxltexpxlt Member Posts: 2
    ckeator,

Thanks for your reply, we feared that it might be indicating a transmission problem. Bought the vehicle in '01 w/ 65K miles in very good shape w/all maintenance records. Just turned over 99K and have kept up maintenance, no major repairs since we've had it.

What's strange is that the problem happens randomly, not everytime I put in reverse and seems okay after a few minutes when it does happen (expept for blinking dash lights). Guess we need to decide whether to throw more $ at repair or start looking for a new vehicle. Do you think it's safe for in-town driving (10-15 miles a day)?

Thanks again,
    expxlt
  • Options
    magicdeamagicdea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford Explorer, and is the book it says to push the buttons 3 and 5 on the radio at the same time to get the rear seat controls to work.. I have tried that many times but I have n gotten no luck... Please Help Me!! :confuse: :cry:
  • Options
    expxlt,

Sometimes it's not the amount of driving, it's the type. If you routinely "run your vehicle" around town, primarily stop-n-go driving, this puts considerable stress on the drivetrain components. If it's going to go, it's going to go...

On another note, you said your mechanic changed all the fluids. From your records, did the transmission and transfer case get fully serviced at 60,000, which would include filter change and fresh fluid?

I ask, because sometimes changing the transmission filter with fresh fluid cures these little hiccups. And if you have been doing a lot of "city-type" driving, your transmission service should be done every 30,000 miles, not every 60k.

One other option, as mentioned by merc, is to take it to a dealer. However, before I bring any of my cars to the dealer, I always call and describe the problem to a service technician/manager. In your case, this is more than appropriate, because it is an intermittent problem. The description may be the only symptom they have, because the actual problem doesn't present while at the shop. Call your area dealerships until you find a service department that is willing to talk with you over the phone. This accomplishes 3 things: 1) it will give you an honest and accurate idea of what the problem may be (it could be as simple as a $50 sensor), and 2) even if they can't pinpoint their diagnosis, a good service manager should be able to give you a best/worst synopsis of downtime/cost, and 3) it will at least give you a great dealership option to go to for the service. I've found that if a dealership is unable to give any diagnosis over the phone, then I go elsewhere...

I grew up with mechanics/repairmen for brothers/father, but I'm in my mid-30s and a graduate assistant, so I still do all of my own repairs (youth + fundsalow + still stupid :P ). However, I've found 3 good dealerships to do work on my last 3 brand cars, so if I have a job I can't do because of the time or work space (somethings are just easier and safer with a hydraulic lift, period) I have a viable option.
  • Options
    Nobody is flaming you. The point of my post was that you have an older Explorer, and one cannot expect these miles-per-gallon numbers you are getting. The average person is not using all the additives that you are. My second point is as follows: I have a 2005 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. I am in sales and drive an average of 150 to 200 miles A DAY. I have never achieved more than 26 on ALL HIGHWAY DRIVING. So your numbers are truly the exception. Be proud of the numbers, don't take it negatively!
  • Options
    greapergreaper Member Posts: 6
    Could still use some help with my earlier message (#3488). Seems to be getting worse. Notice it starting to happen a little bit further up the RPMs now.
  • Options
    electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    "My 1998 5.0 2wd with 125,000 miles has been running great until a few days ago. As I put a light load on the engine, it hesitates. It usually happens while going up a slight hill or light acceleration aroung 15-20 rpm. It doesn't seem like the engine is missing so thought it might be the torque converter or trans."

Greaper, What is your maintenance history, is all your maintenance up to date? Have you put in new spark plugs and spark plug wires? Bad spark plug wires can cause slight missing and hesitation. I seriously doubt that the transmission or torque converter would cause this.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. :)
  • Options
    plugs and wires recently changed but will double check. It idles great and was fine until just today at higher RPMs or while accelerating.
  • Options
    just changed front bearings, rotors, and pads. did it exactly as shown in manual and now about every third time the brake pedal goes in about 1/2 inch just before comming to a complete stop.
  • Options
    If I understand your message correctly, and the description of your problem (interior lights staying on), then I agree that the door switch ( for the lighting )is sticking. All it needs is lubercation, but it isn't easy to get to. Some people have had success with spraying a non-electric conducting spray grease or oil in their door latch mechanism with success. On my Expedition, I took the door panel off, removed the switch, and lubercated it with some dielectric grease. Hasn't been a problem in over a year.

The spooky ghost that haunted my wife's Explorer for 20 minutes or so, just kept unlocking and relocking the doors repeatedly. Sometimes it would lock, lock, lock and then unlock, vice-a-versa or any combination of lock and unlock that you can imagine. This however, happened about a year and half ago after a thorough cleaning.
  • Options
    ekaiekai Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 has had repeated failures of the drive shaft seal at the differential, repeated failures of inner & outer boots and CV joints--all on the right hand side. No matter how many 2 & 4 wheel alignments I have the tires suffer from constant cupping--3 sets in 105,000-getting ready for my 4th set of tires. ABS & speed sensor failures too--2x's. 4 brake light switch (at the pedal) failures. Ford came out with a new brake light switch in Jan 05.

Other problems: intermittent air bag light, paint oxidation on the exterior plastic panels. Ignition switch worn out at 70,000 miles--had to have the wafer tumblers replaced. Phantom/ ghost sifting of the transmission.

A friend of mine has on '02 Explorer (also mfg in Dec 01 like mine) that has gone thru 4 rear ends!

Anyone else have these problems with this first year production of the new generation Exploder?

In short, my car is a lemon.
  • Options
    rwigginsrwiggins Member Posts: 1
    did you notice any unusual noises from behind the engine
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Based on my expereince 2 Explorers and Wrangler tires, it is a characterristic of the tires. When it is time to replace them you can find about a dozen tires that are cheaper and better quality than the Goodyear Wrangler series.
  • Options
    nomore2nomore2 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS with 24K miles on it (I was told by the dealer it was a program vehicle). I did not op-in for the extended warranty because this has been my 4th Ford vehicle in 10 years and have not had any MAJOR issues. Not this TIME! At 47.7K miles the transmission completely failed. My wife drives this vehicle and has never towed anything. The symptoms were a short pause (3-4 seconds) before transmission would go into forward gear. The vehicle was maintained by the dealership and had all the recalls currently completed. Never a word or worry about checking anything other than fluid levels. When the transmission lost Reverse completely I took it to the dealer. I was informed that both 3rd and 4th were also gone and the transmission could not be rebuilt and to buy a new transmission (to get a new warranty!). I had a discussion with Ford Customer care and they told me they would not help at all. I even agreed to pay for labor if they would pay for the transmission (because I thought it should of lasted a bit longer than 47.7K!!). They said forget it... and so I said forget Ford. This transmission is also showing up on the National Transportation Safety web site and I encourage anyone with a Transmission problem with this vehicle to register a complaint with them.
  • Options
    Thanks dtownfb.

I'm leaning towards General or Michelin as replacements for the Wranglers. Of course price and how long I plan to keep a 99 Exploder will probably play roles in which tires I eventually purchase. Although the truck has been ok, I don't have the same sense of confidence as I have in my Honda Accord or any of the other Japanese cars I have owned over the years. Although the Exploder was cheaper to purchase and had more features than the 4Runner I doubt that I would have had to replace the ball joints on a 4Runner with 67K on the odometer.
  • Options
    "This transmission is also showing up on the National Transportation Safety web site and I encourage anyone with a Transmission problem with this vehicle to register a complaint with them."

I personally checked the NTHS website for the 2004 model year and looked under "powertrain-automatic transmission". THERE WERE ONLY 76 COMPLAINTS!! When you look at the HUGH number of Explorers that Fords sells, this is a small number by any stretch of the imagination. I am sorry you had trouble and ran in to a major expense. However, people have a tendency to not remember that "Program Vehicle" means "EX-RENTAL VEHICLE". Enough said? I have purchased many "program vehicles" and not had problems. However, to buy an Explorer (I own an '02 as well!) especially an "off rental" and not purchased an extended warranty is a real gamble, when you look at the history of the transmission solenoid and the rear end. I purchased mine new-but purchased a Ford extended warranty on-line when my vehicle reached 35,000 miles. And BTW, I currently have 39,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had is the transmission solenoid replaced under warranty. Good luck with your vehicle.