Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    I can't think of much that these two vehicles would share. The speed sensor switches to the rear differential in 97 I believe. I have heard that the 5R55E can be put in place of the 4R55E since they have the same gear ratios (second is just a made up gear). You just don't connect up half the servoes. Have no info except have heard this rumor.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    that was an interesting read. i just had the rear axle seals replaced in my '02, and the SA mentioned replacing the fluid. i'll have to check the tags.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jayhatjayhat Member Posts: 1
    My Explorer came with a tow package. Out of the blue my right side trailer turn and stop will not work. I have traced the problem back to the trailer connection at the rear of the vehicle. All other lights work at that connection except left turn and stop. Have already checked all the fuses. Is there a trailer tow relay switch somewhere that maybe went bad?
    Why would just the left side not work?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Bad plug?
  • jsommajsomma Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 4X4 explorer has recently started an annoying grinding noise. Happens only upon acceleration (can be a gentle acceleration, like when going uphill in the mountains). Noise sounds like it is under the car. Definitely a grind and rattle noise, not a whine or squeak. No noise when not accelerating or stepping on gas pedal. Still under warranty with 28000 miles. Ford dealer looked for a loose exhaust pipe (this was a doubtful cause as the noise doesn't happen over bumps!). Of course, found nothing! We also noticed that I am getting a leak from the backend (saw drips on garage floor, like from rear differential?). Are these symptoms related? I don't have time to go back and forth to Ford dealer!
    It could be very well connected. Your pumpkin should not be leaking. Get the dealer to fix that - the grinding may stop. It's a good place to start.
  • bbfky1bbfky1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 v8 explorer about a week ago my wife noticed a musty smell every time she ran the AC. Well it has gotten worse. I have noticed there is not water draining under the car so that would be my first bet. ANyone know where the drain line is so I can unclog it? Also any ideas on how to kill the mold/mildew problem that is probably causing the smell?

thanks
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    " (second is just a made up gear). "

What do you mean by the above?
  • boomer051boomer051 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 explorer 4x4. It shifts smooth in every gear and now it will not even try to shift into overdrive. Whats the deal. It almost seems like an electrical problem. Its a one owner veh. with 115k.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport and the left reading light in the overhead console is burnt out. Owners Manual says to go to a qualified service pro to replace bulb. Anyone know what comes off to change out this bulb?

Thanks
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    There is a solenoid for the 4th gear (overdrive) and one for torque converter lock up. The problem could be the solenoid, it could be the solenoid passages or valve passages are clogged up, or it could be an electrical problem. You will need to take it to a shop to have it looked at by an experienced mechanic.
  • cplace25cplace25 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2002 and I had to have my front driver side and back passenger side wheel bearings done. There should be a recall on them. My sister drives a 2002 Focus and just got all hers replaced on a recall.
  • wischuck1wischuck1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 Explorer Sport with 8,000 miles on it I now have 20,000 miles. Had a problem with the front passenger tire - acted like a broken belt, so I took it to my local dealership and the service manager told me there is a problem with the front wear patter on the tires. He said the 2-door sports have a tendency to wear the tread on the outside of the front tires, so I should rotate my tires with every oil change which is 3000 miles (come on thats ridiculous), and the best solution to the problem is to replace the tires but for now they will put them on the back and the realligned the front. Is he pulling my leg and not wanting to get involved in a warranty issue (ford told me if it was a broken or shifted belt it is covered under warranty) Has anyone else seen this problem?
  • vicmedicivicmedici Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Explorer Sport 1999 with 120,000 km. Last week I discovered that the parking lights turn on by themselves for short periods during the night. This happens when the vehicle is parked and the keys are not in. I suspect some sort of shortcut. The result is, some mornings I have to get a battery boost from someone else because the lights have drained the power.
    I talked to a few mechanics and no one seems to know where the problem is. Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Victor
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    I have a 1998 Explore 4x4 6 cyl. My number 3 plug fouls often (these are platinum plugs)...... any ideas out there?
  • newxplrerownernewxplrerowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 4x4 explorer and i am hearing some grinding noises when i excellerate too. I am really nervous cuz I just baught it and dont have the money to fix something huge yet. If anyone has the answers i would really appreciate it!
  • exploded99exploded99 Member Posts: 67
    Describe what your fouled plug looks like. Black, gray, oily, dry, etc.
    How long does it take for the plug to foul when a new one is put in? Is the color dry black (too rich), or wet black (oil) or other? Do a compression test on the engine and compare compression between cylinders, there should be no more that 20% variation. Low compression could indicate a problem in the rings, head gasket, head or valves.
    Let us know what you find out.
    Good Luck,
    E.D.
  • hiskrishiskris Member Posts: 1
    Hi.. 3 days ago my son purchased a 1992 ford explorer (stick). He had 3 driving lessons in it totalling a little over 2 hours worth... I drove it the remaining times. The clutch went on the 3rd day. mechanic says the clutch was new... put in two years ago to this day... and a little over 20,000 miles put on it.... my question is this... could we possibly have destroyed a clutch in less than 3 days of driving around town? He seems to be blaming this problem on my son not knowing how to properly drive a stick... but i was with him each of the 3 times he was out learning and KNOW he didn't ruin the clutch....(and i KNOW i didn't either) .... any one have any ideas???? think it's going to be a battle trying to get the $1,700 back that we paid for it... everyone i've talked to says there's no WAY he could have destroyed a clutch in such little time... anyone have this problem???
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It depends on how the clutch failed.

If the friction material or pressure plate has been scattered, this can occur easily by selecting too low a gear when downshifting. Clutch doesn't even have to be engaged. If first gear is engaged in the transmission when fourth was intended, the clutch will over-rev & possibly self-destruct.

If the friction material is worn out or burned up, that's another story. I can destroy a clutch in less than an hour. But, it sounds like you were with the vehicle all the time & didn't observe excessive clutch slipping.

So, if you're sure neither of the above circumstances occurred, you're probably right. However, even the auto manufacturers cinsider the clutch a wear item with a wear rate much dependent on driver habits. After 2 years & 20,000 miles, I doubt that there's a service shop on the planet that would give you a free replacement.

I suspect that the clutch was on its last legs when you bought the vehicle. A more thorough inspection & evaluation might have saved you a lot of grief & $$.
    FWIW, I think the mechanic is way off base trying to blame your son.
  • keithsmaxxkeithsmaxx Member Posts: 4
    I have a similar problem with a 1998. I just doesn't close well. eventually it got so bad that It wouldn't close at all. Had the hinges replaced and reinforced, but the problem is coming back. I would be interested to hear if you find out anything.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    my wife had a '91 explorer with a manual transmission. she had it for 83k. it still had the original clutch. i would agree that it would be difficult to destroy a clutch in so few miles. another thing that comes to mind is that one time i pulled a friends astro minvan and their 19 foot boat up a boat steep ramp after they couldn' get up out of the water. the clutch smelled really bad for a few minutes, but we drove it for several years after that with no problem.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 97mntr97mntr Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I cut a boot on my CV joint, so I installed a remanufactured left Half Shaft (Cardone 60-2101) and a new axle seal (National 710429, which matches the OEM seal exactly) into my 97 Mountaineer. Now the axle seal leaks. The remanufactured axle journal fits very loosely into the axle seal. The journal measures 1.401 inches. Does anyone know what a Ford left half shaft axle journal measures (I had to return my OEM shaft for the core)? A brand new Cardone left Half Shaft measures the same as the Cardone remanufactured.

Thanks for the help... if the OEM journal is larger than 1.401, I'll have to order up a Ford OEM shaft ($200 vs the $60 for the remanufactured).
    Define "very loosly". Is there any gap between the journal and the seal lip? Are you sure the opening in the seal is not too large? Does the seal have the circular spring behind the sealing lip?
  • 97mntr97mntr Member Posts: 2
    The journal fits into the seal with only slight interference. There is no gap. There is a circular spring behind the lip. I suspect the journal for two reasons...1) the seal matches the exact same numbers as the OEM seal that I pulled out; 2) I don't know how Cardone can refinish/grind/polish the used axle journal without removing some metal (unless they weld back in some material, but I don't see any evidence of that).

thanks,,,,
    WET. But it does not feel like oil and there is no smoke, also I think I may need to
    replace one of my O2 sensors (there are 3) the one after the converter, could this be the problem source. BTW thanks for the response....
    Thanks for the response. Wet, About a week after change
    Do you think O2 replacement would take care of the problem,
    We have not done a comp test yet.
  • markzmarkz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Ford Explorer which recently started a clicking sound. When I popped the hood, I noticed that one of the pulleys in the belt system (labeled as A/C) was turning on/off every 20 or so seconds. The other problem is that the A/C doesn't work (no cold air -- though the fans work fine).

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thannks in advance
    Sounds Like you are low on your r134 and in need of a recharge.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    That is typically what happens with all Ford when it has little or no freon in the system. The compressor keeps trying to turn on to cool but there is no gas so it turns off almost immediately.
  • rstchristorstchristo Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say that I could almost have written your same exact message about my 03 Explorer Limited, V8, AWD. Had parts replaced (1/2 price) at 40K miles, only for it to return around 60K. The crap we got from the dealer the 2nd time was that it was because of the aluminum housing (instead of Ford using the cast iron) and that Ford considered the whining "acceptable". Nevermind they didn't mind taking my money the first time to try to fix it but couldn't or wouldn't bother trying to fix when it was under their warranty. Good luck to everybody, trying to sell mine now. Never another Ford for me.
  • kinney0201kinney0201 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8. The day after I purchased it the truck started sputtering and the check engine light came on. I ran the codes and it came up with "misfire detected on cylinder # 6". The next day I changed the spark plugs and wires and after that it was running so much better and was running perfectly fine for about 4 days. Then it started sputtering again and the check engine light came on. This time the code is "misfire detected on cylinder # 3". I am getting very frustrated as I just purchased this truck. Can anyone please suggest what the problem may be and what I should do to eliminate these problems from continuing? Thank you very much!
    Cylinders 6 and 3 fire off of the same side of the coil pack. Sounds like a coil pack going bad
    Really, I'm not familiar with the coil pack. Do you have a link that you could refer me to give me information about replacing that. My repair manual does not have coil pack listed. Thanks. How hard is it to replace? Where can it be found on the truck? Thanks
  • merccruisermerccruiser Member Posts: 2
    The TSB on this is 05-10-17 ( per our service invoice).This tsb came out today according to the dealer Same problem with our merc mountaineer (v6) and happened on the second day of ownership. It is a faulty fuel gauge sender. We had our replaced sender also blow . Dealer has located another sender at another dealer and will try for the 3rd time tomorrow. According to our dealer fords supplier has stopped production of this part because of a bad batch. They expect to remedy this part by august 18th.The vehicle is still drivable , it's just that the fuel level won't register . So reset your trip meter at every fuel fill . I hope they meant august 18 of this year !
    Your brake light switch should be above the brake pedal, on the arm. It's a simple switch, easily replaced. It just plugs in and attaches to the mechanism. Replace it, and you should have no more problem.
    Sounds like your injector in that cylinder is flooding that plug out.
  • rainey32rainey32 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I found out what my problem was. Had to replace my Transfer Case.
  • dpsexplorerdpsexplorer Member Posts: 2
    Still having the problem. I can't find anyone who knows how to fix or disable.
  • jkrcanuckjkrcanuck Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to test the O2 sensor before replacing it? Can the 'laziness' be bench tested?
    There are two igntion coil "packs" on the front of your engine that you plugged the spark plug wires into when you changed them. Follow the wires for cylinder #6 and #3 back to the coil. That will be the one giving you problems.

Your manual will give you firing order info so you know which cylinders are 6 and 3.

Replacement is simple - unplug the wires ( marking them so you get them back in the correct positions is very important) and unbolt the coil pack. Put in the new one!
  • merccruisermerccruiser Member Posts: 2
    New sender put in today everything ok so far.
  • cuz2cuz2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Ford Explorer. I have talked to several shops on this problem. The gear for the speed sensor inside the transfer case needs to be replaced. Several shops state that the transfer case must be taken out and rebuilt to replace the gear. Is this true or can it slip out the rear seal hole?
  • gcdomgcdom Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 02 Ford Explorer XLT V6 new in April of 2002. At 25000 miles the solenoid pac was replaced along with the bands my vehicle was out of service for about a month while Ford rebuilt the transmission. Now at roughly 52,000 miles I am having more trouble with the Explorer which I feel are all related to the transmission. First, there is a 5 to 10 second delay when I shift the vehicle from park to reverse and from drive to reverse followed by a large clunk sound. Second, under acceleration there is a pulsating or shutter in the vehicle and finally when the transmission shifts into overdrive the whole front of vehicle shakes violently but will stop if I take it out of overdrive. The latter two problems are intermittent and have been difficult to replicate at the Ford Dealership. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated as I will be dropping the vehicle off again at Ford on 07/25/05.
    I replaced both coil packs and am still getting code "misfire detected on cylinder 3". Truck is still jittery. Please help!
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    not sure if it has anything to do with it, but when i warm the car up for about 2 mins before i drive off (especially in the morning), there would not be that "clunk" when i go from park to reverse and only a slight delay from reverse to drive (so slight that it doesn't bother me).
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. But a month to rebuild your transmission is ridiculous! They rebuilt my Mountaineer in 2 or 3 days max. Sounds like the solenoid pac is bad again - and this time, unless you have an extended warranty, it's gonna cost you for the rebuild. You may find a decent independent transmission shop that might do this work for you much cheaper than the dealer. I wouldn't go to AAMCO, but that's just my experience.
  • jimijeanjimijean Member Posts: 2
    So, the question remains...has anyone discovered the problem and the the fix?

I have a 1997 EB Explorer with the same problem. The right low beam does not work. Fuses are fine, etc. I can use the high beams when I push the switch forward (activating the bright position) or pull back on the switch (flash to pass). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jimijeanjimijean Member Posts: 2
    I am still looking for a solution to this problem. Any luck with yours?
  • theskipptheskipp Member Posts: 1
    I have a an in-car GPS receiver that I would like to install in my car. But to install it I need to be able to wire-tap into the speed sensor wire. Anyone have any idea which color wire this is? Or where I would be able to find out this information? Thanks for the help.