Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazman1mazman1 Member Posts: 229
    You know, you probably just jinxed yourselves by stating that. Might have to wear garlic neckace for 7 days to reverse the bad carma...
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    Im not superstitious but,if you must, my necklace of luck is in the form of an extended warranty. Njdevilsrn, what year and other info is your explorer and how long have you had it?
  • rwiednerrwiedner Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '93 Explorier 4X4 since new. It currently has 136,000 miles on it. Only major
    repairs (if you want to call it that) was replace water pump at 89,000 and a new lower intake
    manifold gasket at 83,000. Only other repairs were normal fluids changes and wear and tear
    items (brakes, tires, shocks), The original tires lasted 83,000 miles. Transmission has only had
    fluid and filter changes every 20,000 miles. I'm sure that helps. At one time I was putting
    6 to 7 hundred miles per week on it. Never failed me. Never let me down. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Plan on purchasing another when this one wears out.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    I have owned 3 different Explorers over the past 4 years. The first was a 1997 Explorer XLT. For some reason, I replaced it in the Spring of 1999 with a 1999 XLT. At the age of 26, I can say that was the worst mistake of my young life. The 1997 was problem free, the '99 was anything but. I have listed the problems on here before (a quick list...3 sets of pinion seals, ball joint in left front end, horn, windshield, brake rotors, rear suspension link assembly, leaking rear hatch all within 14000 miles).

After a lot of argument with Dayton Ford and the regional "customer service" rep, I got helped on a trade this summer. Unfortunately, I was not in the best financial situation at the time, and the dealer said I could only pick from what he had on the lot. I walked out onto the lot and had my eye on a blue 2000 XLS. Got in it to test drive, the thing was dead. So I now own a 2000 XLS - Red. Got it in July, had the serpentine belt and steering pump replaced (were bad from Day 1) and so far so good since. Also have replaced the stock radio with an Alpine system (head unit and 4 speakers) and replaced the tires with Michelin Cross Terrain tires. I highly recommend these tires, they are smooth, and traction in the snow and ice we had last weekend was no different than the Wilderness ATs.
  • mthodemthode Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 starting making that awful pinging sound. Since it is out of warranty I was going to take it into our regular mechanic to see what the problem could be. After doing a little reach I found this board and read that a lot other people were having the same problem. I called a Ford dealership close to our house and explained what I had found out. They claimed to have no knowledge of the problem. It didn't take their word for it so I called another dealer and they knew right away about the problem and said the timing chain tensioners had been recalled. I am happy to say I had the repair done at no cost to me. The check engine light is out.
  • aroof23aroof23 Member Posts: 1
    i looking at purchasing a 97 xlt explorer
    and i wanted to know if anyone has had any
    problems major or small
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    why don't you take the time to read the 458 posts prior to yours and decide if there are any problems with the exploder, errr.. explorer.

ace
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Regarding the plan to purchase a 97 Explorer. I sold my 97 after only 1 year of ownership. Lets see the problem list included but was not limited to: Leaking windshield from factory, door seals didn't seal, broken rear wiper, excessive road and engine noise (even for an explorer), new drive shaft, vibrations around 60mph unfixable, and the last straw was it never got better than 14mpg with the SOHC V-6 (acceptable according to ford). Now the 98 I replaced it with would stall unexpectedly while pulling into oncoming traffic, had new drive shaft also, rack and pinion, rear wiper again, entire body vibrated due to drive train all before 36k miles. Needless to say it was traded before the warranty ended. I did have a 96 with the OHV engine and it was the best and tightest of the three. Even today if I get into a 96 model it feels tighter than a brand new 2000 XLS my neighbor now owns. Make sure you get a warranty, you will need it.
  • sjorensjoren Member Posts: 1
    Greetings All,
    Got my new Explorer last week and have a couple of questions. Material I received stated that tire pressure should be kept at 26. I recall reading somewhere that Ford recommended a tire pressure of 30. Anybody else hear that. Also stated was use of unleaded (duh) 87 octane. Now, my 92 Explorer had nothing but premium and I never had any engine issues after 110K when I traded it in on the new one. Comments?????

Many Thanks
    Sandy
    your explorer should have a new sticker on the door jamb showing the new, recommnded tire pressure of 30 psi front and back. ford sent out replacement stickers to owners and certainly should be putting them on new ones. you should have gotten one already as a current owner. Good Job Ford!!!

as for octane rating... your truck is designed to run on the manufacturer's recommended fuel. now, coming from ford, i realize that doesn't mean much, but unless the engine has high compression (which yours doesn't) it shouldn't need high octane fuel. put it this way, (and this should scare anyone who uses too high a grade of fuel for any car) over those 110K miles of (luckily) trouble free motoring, you spent $1,500 to $2,000 on unnecessary fuel costs! that difference would have more than made up the bath that explorer owners are taking on resale values currently.

just my thoughts,
    ace
  • sweeper1sweeper1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '91 Explorer, and have read all of the preceding notes in this forum. I have mixed feelings about the vehicle, as it has served me well for years, but not without some expense. I bought it used when it was a year old, with 21K on it, and now it has 219K, so just to be running that long is pretty good.
    But, I have: replaced the transmission once, at 88K; replaced the radiator and water pump; replaced the rotors many times; had several electrical problems that were never truly resolved; had two blown head gaskets and cracked heads replaced; the antilock and parking brake warning lights on the dash are constantly on, due to locking up my brakes one time 4 years ago; replaced my Firestones.
    I have noticed that Ford does not have their act together too well on parts. There are parts I have gone to buy that were not even listed, and then were found under different part numbers and descriptions. Their employees at dealerships are not very good.
    However, I love the roominess of the vehicle, and the punch of my V-6. At this point, it is worth nothing to anyone but me and I plan to drive it into the ground, but overall I would say that my next vehicle will be a 4Runner, as I like their durability.
    Does anyone know of a quick fix for the antilock/parking brake light problem?
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    I read the earlier posts about changing the shocks on Explorers. I have a '96 XLT I/ 103K on it & I think desperately needs shocks. I bought it in set of last year, it has air shocks in the back. I read in the manual that this might have an air control ride system? This is my first Explorer & am pretty happy so far. I'm planning on changing the fronts, should I also consider change the rears? I' be never changed rear shocks before, are they difficult? Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Broth
  • silkakcsilkakc Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm lookin at a 91 Explorer and thinking of buying it. It's in excellent shape- inside and out and completely rust free. The problem is it has 140,000 miles on it and they do not know if it has the original eng and tranny in it. It's at a used car lot- bought at a auction in PA. Could anyone here tell me realistically how many miles the Explorers eng. and tranny usually last? I know nothing about Fords- never owned one. We've had Blazers and Jimmys the last few years, but their engines have become so poor, that I'm looking at others now. I would love a Pathfinder, but they are hard to find used and in the low thousands!
    I've checked Consumer Reports and am aware of it's pluses and minuses.They are very accurate regarding the paint, rusting and durability. The 91 is in mint condition externally. Well I'd appreciate any imput. My Email is silkakc@aol.com
    Thanks, Lori
  • explorergayleexplorergayle Member Posts: 1
    We have a 94 XLT version of the explorer. Its a manual transmission with 4WD. Lately we have been having trouble with the 4WD transferring from two wheel to four wheel without the thing making major loud howling noises. Friends have said that the transfer case is gone. Anyone out there that has this problem please advise. With over 100,000 miles we are not willing to dish out mega bucks to fix it. Its been a good car otherwise so maybe this is just par for the course considering the mileage. Any input would be appreciated. Our email address is johnnygayle@voyager.net. Thanks!
    Stay away.. you have been warned.....
  • 123bill456123bill456 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my '93 XLT new and have been a very pleased customer. Normal wear & tear except for a fuel pump @95K. Tires lasted me 'til 82K. Currently at 109K and with the soon to be additional third child, I'm looking for a third seat SUV. RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!! Presently all American SUV manufacturers being considered. Namely, Expedition, Tahoe, Durango, Yukon and of course the '02 Explorer. No towing required just some extra inside space and the third seat (more car pooling lately too). Both Excursion and Suburban models are too big as I'd like to get double digit MPGs!!

I'm inclined to give Ford the edge and haven't ride in the '02 Explorer yet. Looking forward to it. Must admit however, that Tahoe AS test drive was certainly nice last weekend. Let's hear it folks............
  • ella2000ella2000 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased new -- 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD. She has only 4,000 miles on her and we noticed small spots of fluid on driveway after she had been sitting for a few hours. Took her to Ford dealership and mechanic says she has to have the Vent Assembly for the Differential replaced. HELP!! I've only owned her for THREE months! How serious is this and is it a sign of bad things to come or am I just being paranoid?
  • sundvl76sundvl76 Member Posts: 1
    After a year of driving a '99 extended cab C***y pickup, I would recommend against the Yukon or Tahoe. (This is a company truck, so thankfully I don't own it!!) While I am getting used to it, and don't mind it as much as I did at first, I still think GM did a half-a**ed job of suspension and frame engineering. We have many of these trucks in our fleet, and have had lots of complaints of front-end vibration, among others. I think it rides poorly, although improved with new Edelbrock shocks, and the brakes are giving problems at 38K miles. Another common problem is called "launch shudder", which is a driveline vibration caused by the rear axle wrapping up enough on acceleration (moderate) to put the pinion angle out of phase with the u-joint on the rear of the transmission. New rear springs helped somewhat, but with a load, it is definitely still there. Poor engineering, as previously stated. Buy an Expedition!
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    I, too, was apprehensive about the Explorer after reading these posts. But after researching consumer reports (one of the few U.S. cars recommended) and speaking with a few satisfied co-workers, I took the plunge and bought a '97 Explorer XLT with 32,000 miles from imotors.com. I also paid $1500 for a 6year/72K mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty (you can buy these from the dealer or on the net).

After 6 months, I'm very satisfied and would highly recommend the vehicle to prospective purchasers, though you would be CRAZY not to get an extended warranty after reading about all the engine rebuilds, etc. Think of it as pre-paid insurance.

Also, you should know that all SUVs get very bad gas mileage, much worse than most cars, so consider getting a new Escape if your drive a lot and don't need the power.

With that in mind, I do note the following problems:

(1) possible coolant leak (see prior posting re: extension of warranty on gasket);
    (2) non-functional A/C (probably needs freon);
    (3) cold stall after initial a.m. start -- but only under 30 degrees in the mountains (also discussed above - possibly fuel pump related or frozen gas line);
    (4) poor city gas mileage (thermostat replacement?).

I will report back on these problems after visiting the dealer.
  • scootyscooty Member Posts: 10
    I would like to know the part # of the new upgraded chain tensioner kit.I heard it was posted on this site but I cannot find it.
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Does anyone know if the sway bar recall was just on certain Explorer/Mountaineer models? i have a 97 and appears it wasn't under this recall though i had to get my sway bars replaced.
    It wasnt the sway bar that was defective, it was the bushings.. and that was on 1998 and some 1999 models, where Ford lost their enthusiasm to build quality... two very bad years for Ford Explorers and Mountaineers.
    my mistake, thanks for the correction Mazman, I thought it was the sway bar, now that i look a bit closer to my reciept it was just the nuts and bolts/bushings that were replaced, im just glad to be rid of the clunking sound.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hey Gang!

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited V-8 AWD completely loaded to the gills and I have been experiencing a few weird problems that I wanted to post on this board.

First: My rear windshield wiper will intermittently not work (especially when there is heavy rain). Sometimes when it's raining hard and I start the vehicle and attempt to engage the rear wiper, it doesn't work! I can push the knob in and hear the wiper washer fluid motor running, but the wiper will stay in place. I have had the dealer check this out twice but to no avail, they couldn't duplicate the problem. Sometimes after I shut off the vehicle and restart it, the wiper will work, but not all of the time. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Second: I have the 3-in-1 stereo unit (CD in dash, cassette and radio) with the changer as well and after about 2 hours of continuous play on the in dash CD, you can actually smell the CD burning (or some other internal mechanism) and eventually the unit will kick out the CD and the display will read, "CD TOO HOT." I am on my second radio concerning this problem. Ford replaced the first unit with a new one that still has the same problem? This usually happens whenever I am making a long road trip (like this past weekend)? The smell kind of resembles the smell that you get when you are ironing your clothing? The CD is VERY hot to the touch whenever this occurs as well!

Additionally, when I was making my return trip on Saturday, I loaded up the CD changer to use instead of the in dash unit. Well, after about 2 hours down the road, I decided to put a single CD in the in dash play and guess what? The display read, "CD TOO HOT?" I couldn't quite figure that one out because I started the car on a cold Michigan morning and started driving back to Ohio using the CD Changer.. not using the in dash unit, so WHY would it show that the CD was still too hot when there wasn't anything in there?

I didn't drive the truck at all yesterday (Sunday) and today while driving it in to work, I noticed that the single CD would play the CD's again?

I hope that you guys can help me.. I like my Explorer a lot, but these two non-traceable problems are really beginning to bug me. HELP!

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    Both are known problems with the explorer.

The wiper problem has something to do with the GEM module... The computer that controls the interior lights works off the same system and that is probably malfunctioning as well.. and you thought that the lights were controlled by a simple pressure switch in the doors???... no.. Ford has complicated it too much.

The CD problem has less to do with the head unit as it has to do with the heater ducts in the dash. If you run cool air thru the system, it will cool down the CD and should work fine.... you know it is a known problem when the radio is even programmed to say "CD too hot".... There is probably a piece of insulation that is missing (and probably was missed at the fectory) behind the head unit allowing the heat (which rises) to enter the radio's space and heats it up.

Good luck.
  • dprestonsr1dprestonsr1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought '93 Explorer new and now have 90,000 miles without any serious problems. After reading some of these post I feel very fortunate. My worst problem has been replacing front brake pads every 20,000 miles. We are in rather hilly country though. I change oil & filter every 3,000 miles and change transmission fluid every couple of years. I take better than average care of my vehicles and usually get good service from them.
    I had a radio problem that cost about $100 and just recently replaced part of the exhaust system.
    Otherwise it has performed very well.
  • tomtwilitetomtwilite Member Posts: 12
    96 explorer, 72k, 4.0 V6. either at idle or speed, an occasional very loud groan or hum, almost like a harmonic distortion, coming from air cleaner housing(cone type filter). will stop if i 'goose' the accelerator at speed or at idle when i open the air cleaner housing strap. changed filter, housing from fender intake to throttle body disassembled by dealer, cleaned, no obstructions. dealer diagnostic showed no problem with MAF. most often in below freezing weather. dealer heard noise, no clue. i posted this last month, looking for new ideas. any help with this will restore my sanity, thanks
    and on another topic that i read here....why would there be so much difference in the quality of model years that are practically the same design?? same sheet metal, interior etc. i've noticed that my 96 is still very tight, no rattles, steering still firm, than in the 97-99 s i've been in. i'm glad i got lucky with this one but what gives with all these complaints of later models that are coming apart??
    The difference is quality control and motivation of the workers to get product out without being able to / or caring to tighten all the screws. If the shop is under pressure to build more trucks, some are gonna go by the line without every screw being tighened... and checked.

Also, it is not exactly a true statement that the 96 and 99 are identical trucks. The 96 has metal bumpers for starters. The 99 has plastic. The 96 uses more mechanical systems than the 99, which uses a lot of computer controlled systems. I owned a '94 Explorer and that truck was built better than my 2000 quality wise, as well as the engineering design of the 2000, I feel "cheapened" the older truck.. Sure there are some nice new amenities like the auto dimming mirror (Discontinued for 2001), rear air vents, and the CD player, but basically the truck was purchased for utility... I think that the Ford engineers took the older truck , and said, what can we TAKE OUT of it to make it COST us less.... for example .. the use of velcro instead of screws... The use of plastic over metal... the use of two screws instead of 4... the use of plastic snaps instead of screws altogether...

Ford is not the only manufacturer to do this, they all do this to some extent...
    Its to bad that the quality went down hill, especially for the people who want to get into newer explorers, i have a 97 and i haven't had big problems just minor things the dealer fixed, i wasn't to happy when i asked the dealer how much would it be for a CD player installed, he said $300 bucks. Is ford really this overpriced on their CD players?
    Do you know if there were ever any TSB's concerning this problem? Is this something that is known to Ford? And YES, you are right.. my interior lights will sometimes do wierd things as well like NOT WORKING at times (including lighting my puddle lamps). I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because unless I can come up with some other type of fairly "concrete" evidence to take to the dealer, they will continue to say that they "cannot duplicate the problem." Actually, I did notice that there were no pressure switches located around the door housing areas but I didn't think much about it.

As far as the radio is concerned, now that you mentioned it.. the only times that I have ever experienced the "CD TOO HOT" message and burning smell is whenever I have taken long trips while the weather has been cold outside (hence the needed use of the heater controls). I have the fully automatic climate control center in which I ONLY operate it in the AUTOMATIC mode, therefore not having to switch air direct locations. I usually run the unit around 77 or 78 while driving home BUT I think that the air is normally directed towards my feet and maybe the side defroster vents? I guess I am not 100% sure why this would cause my CD to overheat given that I am not using the vents located directly above the CD unit? BUT.. I do know that HEAT RISES so that could also play a big factor.

All in all, if you have any additional information that I could use to take to the dealer again PLEASE let me know. Once again, thanks for your help!

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    If my radio ever had a problem off warranty, I would not replace it with a Ford radio. They've got to be kidding you that they want $300 for a radio/CD player. I don't know what invoice on the unit is, but the process of taking out a radio and replacing it with an exact model takes less than 5 minutes. I watched the mechainic at my dealer replace the one in my sister's 1998 Explorer. BTW...I think Ford's radios are junky as of late. The displays go dim after a few years, the sound range isn't all that great, and they seem to be prone to problems. As I mentioned the radio for my sister's truck, it took the dealer 5 weeks to get the part, and they put it in and it didn't work. All in all she was without a radio for about 2 months...complete shutdown.

In my 2000 Explorer, I had an Alpine system installed at the local car audio place. I pretty much just shopped around at the places my dealer recommended, and came away with a booming system 4 hours and $598 later (Alpine head unit and speakers). But even if you were not into getting new speakers, the radio/CD player (and Alpine is pretty much top of the line stuff, there are cheaper product lines and more expensive) could have been put in for about $300. An added bonus is that most reputable places will give you the stuff that they take out back. This way when you ever get rid of the vehicle, for a small fee they can put the old stuff back in and give you your premium products.
    TSB's can be referenced at website www.alldata.com.

I am pretty sure the "CD too hot" problem is caused by your heater unit, not the radio... unless you are playing a lot of Toni Braxton...

An aftermarket radio will definitely perform better than the stock Ford radio.. recall that ford puts items like this up for bid, and the contarct goes to the LOWEST bidder.. hence the quality may suffer.

I got an aftermarket radio and speakers rather cheaply from www.crutchfield.com .. they give you all the instructions, tools and modular cables to install it yourself... (and they have a very good return policy if you dont like it)... my Pioneer system cost about $250 with Polk speakers.
    I searched www.alldata.com in addition to National Highway and Safety. Both did not list any information pertaining to the CD issue as well as the rear wiper issue? I guess I will contact the dealership and give them the information that you posted earlier, hoping that they will be able to assist me once again.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    I know that the rear wipe issue is there... maybe try looking under a different year... it is a problem i've seen come over the dispatches before.

give a look to www.nhtsa.gov as well for TSB's

If you have a dealer that is on the ball, they will already know this and there should be no problem... the wiper motor is fine.. the interior light bulbs are fine.. it is the GEM module that is defective.
    The CD issue is not in a TSB, although I have seen this problem on at least one other explorers.. the solution was to install inulation behind the radio to keep the heat going out the vents... and away from the radio.
  • dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    IS THEIR SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU 4.0 SOHC V-6 OWNERS THE ONLY REASON THAT FORD EXTENDED THE COVERAGE ON THESE ENGINE IS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUNK.
    IF FORD WOULD HAVE DESIGN A GOOD ENGINE IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SAVE MONEY THEY WOULD NOT HAVE ALL THESE PROBLEMS. THIS ENGINE WAS DESIGNED IN GERMANY SO IT MAKES ME WONDER IF THE DESIGNER IS A COMPLETELY STUPID OR DRUNK ONE.
    ANYONE THAT BUYS ONE OF THESE EXPLORERS WITH THE SOHC 4.0 V-6 HAS TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND. GET THE V-8. FORD KILLED OFF THE GOOD 4.0 OHV V-6 THE REASON WAS THEY LAST TO LONG AND FORD COULD NOT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY OFF THAT ENGINE SO THEY DESIGNED A ENGINE THAT IS MORE PRONE TO COME APART INTERNALLY SO THEY CAN MAKE SO MONEY. IF YOU DO ON A 4.0 SOHC V-6 YOU SHOULD MAKE FORD BY THEIR JUNK BACK. RECALL NUMBER 00M12 IS FOR THE INTAKE GASKETS AND TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS PEOPLE THINK DO NOT BUY A FORD EXPLORER WITH THIS ENGINE. THEY SOUND LIKE DIESELS ON START UP DUE TO THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS AND THEY HAVE VIBRATION PROBLEMS THAT ARE EXCESSIVE THEY LEAK VACUUM FROM THE INTAKE O-RING GASKETS. THEY HAVE 3 TIMING CHAINS AND 3 CAMS THIS IS A POOR DESIGN EXPLORER STAND UP TO FORD AND LET WHAT YOU THINK BE KNOWN YOU DO NOT WANT FORD TO KEEP PRODUCING THIS ENGINE.
  • scootyscooty Member Posts: 10
    OK so we made a mistake.So what should we do buy a dodge?Two wrongs dont make a right.
  • tallimeca1tallimeca1 Member Posts: 8
    I have been told by a ford master technician that this characteristic explorer problem is due to a bad IAC valve. I have no clue what it is or what it does, but I'm sure your dealership does.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Choose your words wisely. Im not crazy because I have two explorers. I really like both my 96 sport and my 2000XLT. Both have been terrific vehicles. My 2000 has the 4.0 SOHC engine in it and it does have the timing chain tensioner problem...Its not very bad yet though. I have a great service department and they are going to replace the nylon tensioners with the steel ones. Yeah Ford really goofed here, But they also have fixed the part and they have extended the warrantee. I'm glad Ford did even that. The saying, may beggers not be choosers comes to mind... This is the only problem that I have had with either of my explorers and I am not about to complain. I drive them hard, I take them off road, and yet still not a sqeek. I have an idea for you instead of trying to talk for everone here and call all 4.0 SOHC engines junk...Just state your own personal experience with the engine/explorer and let the people reading the posts decide on what they think of the engine. The reason I chose this engine for my explorer is becuase it had a higher resale value and i need it to pull my 5,000lb cargo trailer. Just a friendly suggestion from a pleased Ford Explorer owner.
    thanks Tallimeca1, i just got the same advice from a tech advisor on the MSN Carpoint site. seeing as i have only 2500 mi. left on my warranty and my dealer apptment is tomorrow i'll make sure they check that out. It took a couple of weeks bouncing around a bunch of car sites but it looks like now i have a good shot at solving this. this internet stuff sure is amazing, thanks again
  • larryn2larryn2 Member Posts: 18
    RUNS GOOD, DRIVES GOOD,LOOKS LIKE A POS AFTER THE 5TH YEAR IT JUST WENT TO HELL , I WASHED THE HECK OUT OF IT ,UNDER THE FENDERS TO . THE FORD WARRANTY IS 6 YEARS 100000 MILES WELL AFTER THE 5TH YEAR FORDS PREPROGRAMED RUST MAGGOTS WENT TO WORK. (DADS 92 SAME WAY)I PAYED $ 25000 FOR IT SHOULD OF LASTED LONGER . THE 10 YEAR OLD FORD L8000 PLOW TRUCK I DRIVE WITH 10 TONS OF ROAD SALT LOOKS BETTER GO FIGURE LARRY
  • lookingaround2lookingaround2 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I saw a 98 EB Explorer yesterday and she wants it, but after reading all of these posting, I am afraid of buying it due to all of the bad reviews. Are there any suggestions for a comparable SUV or should I take a chance on this one??

Thanks for your help!

Lookingaround2
  • n1ckn1ck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 EB fully loaded with V8 AWD and air suspension. I've been looking at putting Michelin LTS M/S tires on , and now see they have a new SUV tire the cross terrain, has anyone put these on? looking for recommendation. I must admit that this vehicle will not see much off road action, and I would like to smooth out the ride.
  • gasburnergasburner Member Posts: 31
    Mazman1 you may have a point about Ford trying to cut some cost ( or do something more efficiently) in later models, but I think that Ford made improvements as well. The 4.0L V6 engine in the early Explorers was way under powered (at least for my needs and taste). The addition of a 5.0L V8 and later the availability of the XLT sport package (16" tires and wheel flairs,) I think make for a much better performing vehicle than was offered earlier, without having to buy all the frills. I agree with you that the better choice is the V8. I have a 99 Exp. XLT V8 Sport Package set up for towing and get about 15 mpg in city driving. A friend has the V6 SOHC engine and gets about 16 mpg. Given the reliability issue with the V6 SOHC engine, small difference in fuel economy and the greater torque of the V8, I would recommend the V8 over the V6. I have had good luck with my vehicle so far, but Ford service could be better. The one concern I do have though is the sound that the brakes make when stopping. When I 1st got the truck, the brakes seemed very loud when coming to a stop and when released. I brought it to the dealer and he said that the noise was normal but agreed to change the pads and turn the rotors. Well the new pads were even louder, and now for the first several stops after the truck sits for a while, the brakes grab and make a shutter felt in the steering wheel (it feels similar to have driven through high water). The brakes seem to be working quite well except for this annoyance. Anybody experience this problem or can provide some input?
    To N1CK...I shopped long and hard for replacement tires on my 2000 Explorer. Too much bad press on Firestones for me, especially being a trauma nurse. Right off the bat, that threw all Bridgestone and Firestone Tires out the window. Had Goodyear Wranglers on my '97, and noticed no difference from them to the Wilderness AT's. My sister had Uniroyal Tiger Paws put on her tires (after the local Firestone dealer told her they were AT when in truth they are All Season - nice customer service there again, huh Firestone?) and they were horrible. She got them to trade them out to Dunlop Rovers, and she likes them. I priced them at a tire dealer and they were $95 a tire installed.

I decided if I was going to spend that kind of money I was going top of the line. Researched the Michelin product line and came to the following conclusions. LTX AT is a very harsh tire. The tread is designed for a lot of off road use. The guy at the local ETD Tire store said they are worse on the highway than are Wilderness ATs in terms of noise, but offer better traction all around. The LTX MS offer improved snow and mud traction, but are similar in highway ride to the Wilderness. I was sold on the Michelin Cross Terrains. These tires offer a combination of all terrain and all season tread (the outer and inner treads all terrain with three rows of all season tread between). The ride is quiet, smooth, and comfortable. The ride on uneven pavement is no longer like going over a washboard. Braking and steering are improved. Highway mileage is also up about 1mpg, no change on the varied or city use mileage. Complete set was $529 installed. You may find it cheaper, you may find it more expensive. Bottom line is I have found a product which increases my peace of mind and my Explorer's ride.
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    I have a 98 EB 4WD that I bought used with just under 23k miles. In the first week, there was a heavy knocking noise coming from the engine. So my dealership replaced the engine. I was pretty pissed because the original engine only had 23k miles. Who knows what kind of history this remanufactured engine had. I've had the car for about 4 months now and it's been ok. Other than that, I've had your typical squeaks and rattles here and there. I sure as hell wouldn't recommend no explorer to anyone. But if you and your wife still want one, I would purchase a new one. In my area (Chicago), Ford has 0.9% financing on all 2001 explorers. Unless you knew the previous owner, I wouldn't take a chance on a used one because chances are the previous owner who had it, had problems with it as well. In addition, stay away from the SOHC V6 engine. It's not exactly the best engine in the world. I'd go with the V8. I wish I had gotten a foreign make now. And if you decide to go with a foreign make, you will have a lot better resale value as well.

Good luck!!
    I pretty much agree with njdevilsrn on his analysis, except that the Michelin LTX MS is more of a highway tire than the AT which has a much more agressive tread. The Michelin Cross Terrains were not available when I bought my Michelin LTX MS.. but for what I have seen they are kind of in the middle, at about the same cost as the LTX MS. My gas mileage went up by about 3 mpg with the Michelins over the Firestones, and the ride is smoother and much quieter.

I believe the Michelin LTX MS and Cross Terrains will be available as farctory installed tires on the 2002 Explorer.

Hope this helps.
    we put them on our '97 exploder about 4 tankfuls ago (1K miles). same driving habits 3 to 3.5 MPG better than the Wilderness AT's. plus much lower noise levels (AT vs MS) and better handling on moderate speed turns. no comparison. got them at ward' out of biz sale for $72 each plus $10 for mount & balance. we're keeping the AT's in the garage for when Firestone does the right thing and recalls them.

ace
  • tallimeca1tallimeca1 Member Posts: 8
    I think some of the people that visit this post, should visit some other manufacturer's post. In fact, that's what I had done before I bought my 2000 explorer a year ago. That's why I bought it....concluded that that every manufacturer has it's problems.....and I was gonna buy what I liked.....not the far too expensive for what you get 4 runner, not the cheap and cheesy interiored blazer....not the oversized, tank they call Durango, and not the large outside, sardine can inside cherokee. There are quite a few more posts here than others, but then again, what was america's best selling suv for the past few years??? Most of the problems here are minor, and not worth complaining about. It's an automobile......just like anything else, it breaks,.....nothing lasts forever!!!! As for the SOHC V6, aside from the cam tensioners....which led to cause most of the engine failures in the early models, this motor has proven to be quite reliable. Big deal, the engine knocks......we know what it is at least....a chain tensioner , which ford has admitted to haveing a problem with an extended the warrenty to 75k to assure us they stand behind their product. If it were a wrist pin or a bad cam shaft or bearings.....I could understand the complaint. Could be like Chevy, who are replacing transmissions at the dealerships before they even put the vehicles on the lot with the window stickers..... Please dont' waste your time complaining on this post about how ford and their explorers suck untill you spend time in some other forums.....after all, if the vehicles suck so bad, then we are all idiots for buying them. Go read some other posts now. And for people checking this post in reference to get feedback, look up some dedicated explorer sites on the internet.... explorertruck.com, 4x4explorer.com...... How many blazer, or cherokee, or 4 runner sites can you find.......few if any.