Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    The Dr. Phil Acura commercial is pretty awful.

Yes. Honda, Acura have had some bad commercials recently. Another obnoxious one is for an Accord with a kid talking about his father hitting something in the driveway. Kids should be seen, not heard.

There are some other brands using, misusing kids, especially when kids come off as "wise", embarrassing their father in a commercial.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes and what a strange choice.

Notice his typical unattentive driving.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    And aggressive driving, and dubbed in vehicle noises, and talk about compensating in a vehicle driven by many who should have a minivan. It's a funny setup.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qDBJo2ZYwcE

Hard to believe that concept is actually on the M-B display at LA.

Also on Smart's twitter feed.

It's as if Zetsche lost a bet he made during Fashion Week.
    In the spirit of the C7 getting a digital dash display (still with analog gauges), here was their first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CP7ijUkgc-4#!

FFWD to 0:54 for the dash, but watch the whole thing for retro 80s fun. :shades:
    Ah the 84 model, perhaps the least valuable one out of the entire history.

I like digital dashes though, I remember when nothing was more high tech than that.
    I remember going to EPCOT as a kid and seeing the Corvette there, plus the Camaro.

Definitely not GM's best era.
    Around 1988 the SO of a family member (long since split) had a new IROC, it was blue with t-tops. I rode in it a few times, I thought it was pretty hot. But even as a 6th grader, I knew it was a cheaply made fast car, not a piece of craftsmanship.
    Same...last girl I dated before I met my wife, her sister had one of those bright blue metallic IROCs.

She described her sister's car as "bumpin'".

I just realized that was the last time I saw her. :D
    Fun to watch now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2B3ldx6Q0

Funny thing is the engines didn't sound that bad in person.

The owner of that car was the person who liked it the least. It was strange. Guess it didn't meet her expectations.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Around 1988 the SO of a family member (long since split) had a new IROC, it was blue with t-tops.

My group of friends back then had this eclectic collection:

1986 IROC light blue
    1983 Cadillac Coupe Deville DeElegance baby blue, white vinyl top, white leather
    1986 RX-7 Turbo - red
    1988 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo - white
    1986 Mustang GT Five Point Oh - red
    1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z - red which was my car.

All these folks today drive minivans, SUV's and pickup trucks.
    I'll take that RX7. :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    My group of friends back then had this eclectic collection:

1986 IROC light blue
    1983 Cadillac Coupe Deville DeElegance baby blue, white vinyl top, white leather
    1986 RX-7 Turbo - red
    1988 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo - white
    1986 Mustang GT Five Point Oh - red
    1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z - red which was my car.

All these folks today drive minivans, SUV's and pickup trucks.

In the mid to late '70s my friends drove:

1970 Mark Donahue Javelin
    1968, 19969, and 1970 SS396 Chevelles
    1972 SS454 Chevelle
    1969, 1972, 1974, 1978, and 1979 Z28 Camaros

I owned a 1974 Monte Carlo. I modified it as follows:
    L82 Air filter/valve covers
    Crane HT Cam/lifters
    Edelbrock Performer Intake
    Quadrajet carb(calibrated by yours truly)
    Recurved Delco Distributor/Mallory Unilite/MSD5A
    Blackjack Headers
    3" dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb Q (Turbo) mufflers
    B&M Transpak(Street/Strip calibration)
    Flex-A-Lite 15000 lb. GVW Transmission cooler
    3:42 Final Drive Ratio
    The only work I farmed out was the recurve, the Transpak install and some exhaust pipe bending. Believe it or not, I still get requests to rebuild Q-Jets from time to time.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Kids and other halves will do that to you :shades:
    edited December 2012
    Kids and other halves will do that to you

Oh I know that!! I remember when we got the Odyssey back in 2000. A good friend remarked "wow - what a cool minivan."

I actually drove that van with a bit of pride. I was and am still quite secure in my skin and the van was a badge of honor. Heck, when I got the Passat I was excited about having a station wagon as well. It was bought with kids in mind as well. Lacrosse bags and d-poles take up too much space in a sedan.
    I might not be the market, but I have nothing against minivans. I like them more than pretend-tough CUVs or bloated SUVs - as they make few pretensions. They are haulers.

When I was in school, I participated in hockey - could fit 4 guys and all gear in the fintail, but some sticks would run from front to back between the seats.
    I like them more than pretend-tough CUVs or bloated SUVs - as they make few pretensions. They are haulers.

Since we now have an Explorer in addition to the Odyssey, I can say that the van has more efficient packaging than the CUV. Yes CUV's are sold partly on image but then again so are luxury/performance cars. Driving an E63 AMG as a daily commuter in stop and go traffic is no different than doing the same thing in a Tahoe. 99% of those vehicles will never be used for what they are intended. They are bought and driven to convey an image.
    edited December 2012
    Of course, the normal sized car is much less of an annoyance or hazard to surrounding vehicles as something as bloated as a Tahoe, too. Doesn't block view, is much less likely to kill people in a normal car if the driver runs a light, doesn't suck down as much fuel, isn't a problem in parking garages, etc. A far greater percentage of performance cars are sunny day drivers rather than commuter grinders too, no doubt. I'd rather drive on roads full of high performance cars (or minivans, or penalty box cheap cars, eyc) than on roads full of tall "utility" vehicles.

Ideally, the really big models would require license endorsements.
    Since we now have an Explorer in addition to the Odyssey, I can say that the van has more efficient packaging than the CUV.

Had a Suburban for about 14 years and now an Ody for 12 years. Had these side-by-side for about 3 years. Moved a lot of stuff, things in each of these. Unless one is towing a trailer, there is no need for the added weight, poorer gas mileage and higher cost of a Suburban.

Wife and I helped move some relatives at two different times using both the ODY and Suburban taking loads. The ODY very clearly has the greater hauling capacity. It also rides and handles better than the Suburban.
    edited December 2012
    Sienna tows 3500 lbs but you can bag 'em (*), and many people do.

* add air bags to the rear axle to reduce squat

For me, the Sienna was better than the Highlander in every conceivable way.

Edit to add Swagger Wagon link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

11.5 million hits, yikes!
    Origami
    Abraham Lincoln
    An owl
    Sparks
    Rock and Roll

This Lincoln ad is all over the place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Iz2pJCEtCjo
    That was a teaser for this ad, which seems to almost copy Chrysler's re-birth of Detroit ads, at least in theme if not feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZIGL_Mxn0NU
    Love them all!

http://autos.aol.com/article/fiats-new-sexy-commercials/

They should show them all during the super bowl.
    Those were all so good. I like how FIAT is doing cheeky ads rather than strict performance/features ads. The brand is supposed to be fun - so should it's advertising.
    I think it is helping too - IIRC sales started slow, but have picked up. I see more and more of them as time goes on, but I guess that is natural. Someone in my office bought one a couple months ago.
    Fiat sales are up 130% for the year.

Then again they were nothing last year, so they're still tiny. Jaguar sells more cars.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...a Lexus' "December to Remember" commercial this season. Maybe they mercifully decided to retire them?
    I was just going to comment about that. All of the Christmas commercials from all the usual suspects are pretty toned-down this year. I'll wager a lot we weren't the only ones who mocked the ads.
    Get your ear plugs ready, I read some where that they're coming back. One the news wires on Lexus sales.
    ...a Lexus' "December to Remember" commercial this season. Maybe they mercifully decided to retire them?

The tagline is still being used but they've gone to a friends and family angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qmb-PK0xlVU#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnevDHWgiDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ppTk0fgCnTs
    edited December 2012
    First one - seems young for an ES. Previously, whipped stubble guy would have dreamed of a race car as a boy, now would be driving the dream car of 60 year old women, the ES.

Second one - kinda close to the old stereotype with the fake house and fakey people, but now focusing on the set who takes pictures of food and are addicted to braggy social networking, maybe a slight improvement.

Third one is OK.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    who takes pictures of food

Gee, you say that like it's a bad thing. My point and shoot even has a food mode setting. :P

(last night's dinner)

Had to actually go look at the commercial. Looks like quail. Those are better dredged and fried up in a cast iron skillet, served with biscuits.
    edited December 2012
    It seems to be a weird new trend, showing the world what you had for dinner. I can see the RX crowd getting into it.
    Other than you, the only person I shared that photo with was my foodie nephew. I do take a lot of them of trips since chowing down is a big reason to get out of town.
    I'll admit a couple years ago I took a photo of a pizza in Germany - because it was cheap and I was amazed.

Beats taking pics of an RX, I guess :shades:
    That's the other thing I take photos of on vacation. Weird cars are fun to snap in real life. I should be doing a montage of rust buckets around here; there's enough around that I could make a billboard sized mural using 5x7s.
    I'll admit a couple years ago I took a photo of a pizza in Germany...

German pizza - let me guess, each piece of sausage was exactly 2 mm apart, the crust was a perfect circle but long term (overnight) it cost twice as much for the antacids.

:P
    It seems to be a weird new trend, showing the world what you had for dinner. I can see the RX crowd getting into it.

That's ok, if pictures are of food on the plate. What is disgusting are restaurant review videos on tv not only showing the food as it arrives at the table, but then close-ups of people putting forkfulls into mouth and chewing.
    a Lexus' "December to Remember" commercial this season. Maybe they mercifully decided to retire them?

They still use some of the memorable melody and then show the Lexi in a group with red bows on the roof.

Seems like they downgraded the level and quality of house prop shown in background in the latest commercial on RX. Just sign of the times what with our miserable economy and looming fiscal cliff. Probably decided to low key how some successful people live and what they drive lest they too get attacked by D.C. political people.
    edited December 2012
    The house prop thing is funny, as it is an obvious prop and not a real house. Maybe a hidden statement about the quality of tract McMansions so often pined for by "successful people" (who "built it" all alone, no doubt), even those who whine about politics while trying to get political themselves :shades:
    And a million optional toppings, some of them costing an obscene fortune, where a basic cheese pizza is 4 Euro, but a loaded one is 40 Euro. :shades:
    You should. To some of us, severe body rust is a weird and exotic thing. Could make a good commercial too, showing how far (most) cars have come in that area.
    edited December 2012
    Don't know how much interest there would be in a Rust Bucket discussion (maybe we could name it Why You Don't Want to Live in Michigan).

The few I already have barely qualify.

Maybe a "I can't believe this drives" thread. The structural rot hidden underneath those decaying body panels is most worrisome.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I suggest Lexus use this location for their commercials to reflect the REAL economic situation of most folks:

That location probably is deserving of an escalade commercial.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Not sure if it's national or not, but a funny commercial has popped up here in Colorado.

Husband tells wife about gift while standing in the living room. Husband intimates that "I left the seat heaters on". Both excitedly leave the house to see the (presumably) new car in the drive.

All they see are tire tracks and the red bow.

Moral of the story? Don't leave your car running (it's calling "puffing" here in Colorado and you can get a ticket for it).
    Dibs on the Turkey leg, but not if I have to ride in one of those rust buckets to get there!

Let's be thankful for galvanized steel.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    That location probably is deserving of an escalade commercial.

ROTFLMBO!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick