Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    Does your Highlander run any better on Premium other than the slightly better gasoline mileage?
  • Options
    mschwendnermschwendner Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a highlander and this will be the first Toyota that I purchase. I'm looking for a used model and my questions for this forum are:

Is the 4wd system is worth the money?
    Does the car require a lot of maintenance?
    What is the best used model year?
    What about warranties, should I look for a certified pre-owned or not?
    How is it on gas milage *the regular vs. the hybrid*?

Thanks
  • Options
    ajsystemsajsystems Member Posts: 6
    I can't even say the mileage is any better, I've never tried anything but premium. Runs so good, I don't want to mess with it. Manual says 91 or better, it gets 91.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't notice any difference other than the mileage improvement (which just about offsets the higher cost of premium). My 2005 SE-V6 with the same powertrain also gets improved mileage with premium. Since it doesn't cost anything, I use it on trips for a psychological boost. ;)
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    All wheel drive or front wheel drive?
  • Options
    AWD Limited with stock Michelin tires.
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Options
    derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    Very sharp looking - why am I not surprised. Have you seen the new Tundra's? Just as nice. Toyota's ROCK.
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    This does not look anywhere near as good as the new Tundra.

The Highlander is not good-looking.

The profile shot is nice, but other than that, it is not even in the same league as the much, much better-looking new Tundra. No way.
  • Options
    stormfrontstormfront Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy my first vehicle and have narrowed it down to two models

2005 mazda tribute gt(v6, fully loaded, leather) 39,000km
    2003 toyota highlander base(v6, moonroof package) 78,000km

I know that the highlander is the more reliable vehicle but is it so much more so that I should forgo two model years, options and almost 40,000km to the tribute?

I would greatly appreciate the opinion of anyone with any insight into these vehicles
  • Options
    goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    We all have our own opinions and we (my wife and I) love the 2008 design. We currently own a 2001 & 2002 Limited H/L and we see this new H/L being our next purchase.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Gee, I may have to trade in my RX for an '08 HL.
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    OK, I have owned 3 HL all gas V3 Lmtd AWD. I can nurse 27 MPG on the highway. The trick I learned is after a full tank drive with an egg between you and the accelerator. Do this for about 50 to 60 miles, never going over 60 MPH. As the MPG increase and climb toward 27 or 28 I increase the speed to 65-70mph and then sit back and drive. I have driven over 400 miles on a tank of gas consistently when I go from Maryland to Myrtle Beach SC.

It might be slow but on the highway it works. :surprise:
  • Options
    It looks like the availability dates are not that much less than normal for the last year of the 07. The 07s were available in October 2006 while the 08s will not be available until July 2007. Albeit a shorter year, 9 months to be exact, still not the 6 or 7 months many were anticipating.

What I am wondering now is when they will stop production on the 07s? With production of the 08 not scheduled until May. I wonder if they will continue to manufacture 07s until May or if there is a period when they manufacture nothing. i.e. a transition period
  • Options
    Changeover period at an assembly plant is usually 2-4 weeks depending on the complexity of the change. They'll probably build a couple hundred vehicles before the "real" production starts.
  • Options
    Imacmil, thanks for the heads up as I will be looking to get a 2007 before they disappear and the "RAV4 on steroids" appears...............(smile)

I realize that many will like the 08 better than the 07 but while I like some of the new features it is too big for me and my garage. As it is I will have to do some manuevering to get the 07 in..............
  • Options
    Yes, the width increase will be a problem for some getting doors open inside the garage. The relative slimness is one of the things we preferred over the Pilot.
  • Options
    >>Yes, the width increase will be a problem for some getting doors open inside the garage. The relative slimness is one of the things we preferred over the Pilot.<<

I couldn't have said it better. The 08 Highlander is very close to Pilot dimensions. And I had to put the Pilot to be due to the dimensions primarily. I know it doesn't look like much on paper but it means a lot in these older garages.
  • Options
    garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    I have owned my 2007 for 4 months and I could not be more disapointed. Problems: 1. Excessive engine vibration transmitted through steering column. 2. Excessive front braking, front brakes grab, seem out of proportion with back. Braking consistency varies. 3. Cold idle too high, 1950 RPM, transmission slams into gear. 4. Engine idle, loud resonance or &#147;boominess&#148;, growl in first gear. 5. Transmission erratic with inappropriate shifting. Transmission always shifting up to 5th gear at slow speeds, pushing car forward faster when not desired. Car will not downshift when appropriate. Car will drive for a mile without gas pedal input, stuck in 5th gear at 900 RPM. Car is easier to stop if put in Neutral. Excessive braking to keep car from surging forward. Toyota has had widespread problems here. It introduced a software upgrade in 2006, but it only improved slightly. Don't buy this truck. I had a Toyota Field Rep look at these problems and was told they can't do anything about it.

Email me with questions.

Gary
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Email me with questions.

That would deprive everyone of valuable information. Better to have the exchange here so we can all learn and benefit. :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    It almost sounds like you got a lemon. I have interviewed at least 6 people around these parts and they all love them and have no problems. And have told me I can't go wrong buying on 07.
  • Options
    garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    Does Toyota read this board? I also called Corporate. I feel completely abandoned. I would have expected this from GM or Ford.
  • Options
    Does Toyota read this board?

I can't say for sure but they'd be missing some valuable feedback if they weren't. :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    toyotagal, I agree. In fact we just bought a second Highlander a couple months ago. We have had our 2005 for 2 years and over 30K miles and love everything about it. Our 2007 drives flawlessly as well. I also have a couple coworkers and neighbor with Highlanders and they have all great things to say. We have not experienced any of the problems Gary reports, and I am stunned he is not able to get those resolved.
  • Options
    While still not locked in concrete on my getting an 07, I have a question regarding fuel.

I live in CA and when going to a local dealers website they noted that the V-6 Highlander requires Premium Fuel. While much of what I have seen on the Internet and in Publications notes Regular Fuel.

Beginning to wonder if in fact Premium Fuel is needed for the V-6? Or possibly is it a CA thing since we have so many additives required for the fuel.
  • Options
    Ours both run great on regular, and based on the octane recommendations in the owners manual that seems to be fine. I have experimented with premium to see what difference it made in performance and fuel economy. The change to performance was not really noticeable, at least with our driving habits. The V-6 has all the power we could ever want, and in those times we need to dart onto a busy, fast moving freeway, it has never let us down. We did note an increase in fuel economy with premium. We normally get 22-24 mpg on the highway and average about 20 with our mixed weekly drives. It seems like premium bumped that up by maybe another mpg, but it is so hard to tell with all the other variables.

There are a lot of good choices out there for crossover SUVS. The Highlander fits our needs perfectly. Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments. After reading about the Premium Fuel requirement on the local car dealers web site I went in to talk to them. Rather than talk to a Salesmen I spoke with the Service Manager and he noted that the 07 V-6 Highlander did not require Premium Fuel.

However, he did add a new wrinkle. He said that they recommend sticking to one brand of gasoline. This because the computer is set for the gasoline and no 2 brands are the same. Interesting
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This guy changes gas brands about as often as most people rotate tires:

A Chemists View on Octane and Gasoline Brand

Check out the Regular vs Premium gas - what's the consensus? discussion too.
  • Options
    Toyotagal,

That thing about sticking to one brand of gasoline is interesting and something I have never heard before. I am not too loyal to any one station or even brand of gas. It is usually just the closest convenient station that has a good price (about an even 2 bucks a gallon here in Utah). For the 30K miles we put on our 05, it has run smooth as silk and plenty of pep. After reading Gary's comments about vibration in the steering wheel I made a point of paying attention to that and I don't notice any. For yourself, best test drive a few and pay special attention to any behavior as noted in the complaints. As for me, I have none of those problems and have been so pleased that we bought a second. Anther thing we did before buying the first on was even ask a few friendly looking strangers in parking lots how they liked their Highlanders. I believe we surveyed about 10 people over a few months and everyone we talked to said they loved their cars and had no complaints (other than the size of the third row)
  • Options
    The only potential problem with a low octane fuel is the possibility of damage to the engine via knocking/pinging. With the advent of fuel injection and FAST microprocessors to monitor the knock sensor(s) and thereby adjust the A/F mixture and precisely control same the octane level is not so much an issue anymore.

If the engine tends to knock then just squirt a little more fuel in with the air. If it knocks due to lugging then keep the tranny the hell out of the engine's lower torque ranges.

So yes, lower octane fuel will yield poorer FE and the transaxle might downshift a bit more often or sooner.
  • Options
    ymflymfl Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 Highlander w/51200 miles. The lease is up in March and the purchase price ">is $11,000. Should I purchase and enjoy no car payments? is it worth it? No major problems - check engine light came on once-service tech no problem. :confuse:
  • Options
    Among other things, you would have the advantage of not having to second guess whether the "previous owner" took care of the vehicle! ;)

You may also want to check Purchasing at the End of Your Lease.

tidester, host
  • Options
    "We did note an increase in fuel economy with premium. We normally get 22-24 mpg on the highway and average about 20 with our mixed weekly drives. It seems like premium bumped that up by maybe another mpg"

I have noticed this with our Highlander and our SE-V6 (same 3.3L engine). The increased cost offsets the mileage increase but the psyche feels better about the increased mileage. ;)
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Is the angle of the Highlander headrest adjustable or just the height?
  • Options
    bradgbradg Member Posts: 1
    My wife accidently put about 2 gals of diesel in the tank (04 v6 highlander) realized her mistake, then topped it off with 12 gallons of regular unleaded. It started up and seems to run ok. Its only run about 15 miles since then. Should I panic or just let it run through?
  • Options
    Refill with GAS every time you get down to ~3/4 tank for ~6 cycles. And be gentle, VERY gentle, with that gas pedal in the meantime.
  • Options
    lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    the diesel stem is a different diameter than the unleaded; did your wife use a hammer??
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In lots of areas, the nozzles are the same size for diesel and gasoline. Around here the diesel nozzles usually have a green covering over the handle but even those can get peeled off.
  • Options
    lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    I think the big rig gas stations have much larger stems. Some gas stations I think are still using the sort of lead gas stems that are similar to unleaded, and--maybe--with a bit of elbow grease the industrious soul could wack one in!
    oops!
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    At least in the base 2004 model it's just the height.
  • Options
    eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    You didn't mention whether this was 6 cyl or AWD, but even the cheapest model has a private sale price of 13,200. Also 51,200 sounds like low mileage. This sounds cheap at 11,000, especially since you know the vehicle.
    I have a 2002 6 cyl AWD with about 54,000 and it has been quite good. It still looks and runs like new. The only problems have been brakes all around at about 48,000 which I thought was a bit early. I have been meticulous with maintenance and use synthetic oil.
    There seems to have been some shakeout problems with the 2001 and I have seen quite a few complaints with the newer models with drive-by-wire, shaking, transmission shifting, etc.
    I think 2002 was a good year. Unless you are into new car smell I would stick with the 2002. I plan on keeping mine for as long as it still feels strong.
    Eddie
  • Options
    my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    The rest arm in my 2007 HL is in a very uncomfortable position. Is there a way to adjust it by DIY?
  • Options
    pkaayaapkaayaa Member Posts: 1
    Hi... I also own a 2002 Highlander 4 cyl 2WD.
    My :P suv got stalled on the road and the dealer is telling me that I need a new engine.
    Could you please let me know on how you solved your problem or how I can get toyota pay for mine ($5000.00) ...
    Any information is very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Pk
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

After five years or more you need to think very hard before presuming that responsibility lies with a manufacturer. There comes a time in the life of any product (particulalry motor vehicles) where you need to assume responsibility for the normal vicissitudes of life. They break down! The manufacturer may not be responsible.

Think very hard about how you have used the vehicle before assuming that someone else should shoulder your ownership obligations.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I haven't been on this board for a while. I am happy to report my 2004HL Limited is gone,at 33100 miles. Along with it goes
    Defective front differential
    Defective R/L struts
    Defective Navigation panel
    Defective R/F wheel bearing
    Transmission that you have to apologize to your passengers for.
    Brakes made of sponge, rear replaced at 15000Mi
    OEM tires replaced with real tires

Will miss 24+ mpg Hwy
    Driver seat right armrest
    My friendly Toyota service writer

Meanwhile my 2003 Avalon XLS chugs on with no problems
    a real transmission
    Real brakes
    and a KISS theorem

Lemon? Progress? Technology? Indifference? QC?

ps: when you cancel youe extended warranty its prorated back to the purchase of the car.
  • Options
    heidigreenlawheidigreenlaw Member Posts: 26
    Driving into work this a.m. one of the lights on my dash began blinking. Unfortunately I don't have my owner's manual with me. Can someone help me identify this light? I'm driving a 2006 Highlander AWD Limited - the blinking light is on the left side of the dash, it's a picture of a car with sliding/skid marks in front of it. Can anyone help me? I've never noticed this light before - is it something I need to have taken care of ASAP or is it simply a light perhaps telling me my VSC was working (maybe I hit some black ice?)? Thanks!!
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I wanted to like the highlander but every time I test drive I notice how much less refined it is compared to my Honda.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Unless it stayed on, you are accurate. It simply means the VSC was working.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I'm sure your Honda is very capable. However, the current HL is one of the most refined SUVs on the road today. It appears you better stick with Honda products.