Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• textex Member Posts: 6
    Side Steps

I have side step bars on My HL. They are bolted to the car with two bolts. They are in the way. What is holding the rear bolt on top? Can I simply unscrew the nut and it will hold on the top side where I can't get to it to prevent it from just turning around?
  • bobincanadabobincanada Member Posts: 7
    What are the best Michelin tires for the HL? My Camry always had X1's, however my new HL is my first SUV.
  • mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    hey, where the subject line?!?!?!

On the octane note - this just may be my take on it, but I hold the link on post #1889 worth about a grain a salt. The Internet is the ultimate opinion BBS (as we are supporting ourselves) - and as cliffy1 noted, following the owner's manual is the best bet.

As for what I do, I use 87 octane normally. I fill up with Chevron (Techron) about every 10 tanks to help clean, and that's about it.
  • gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    YAHOO CLUBS

Here's the main page for the Clubs...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/

• mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    put "toyotahighlanderclub" at the end of the link to get right there - or click on:

Yahoo Highlander Club

• bugeye24bugeye24 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to buy a Highlander in Calif in June and drive it back to MD for licensing. Questions:
    1. what is the likelihood of a base V6, FWD, with a towing pkg being available at the end of June. Are these generally available on the lot? In the Mid-Atlantic apparently most of the Highlanders have the basic towing pkg (i.e., the trans cooler) so adding a hitch later is easy.
    2. Does Calif apply a tax regardless of the fact that the vehicle will be licensed elsewhere?
    3. Any problem with getting temp tags that last at least 3 weeks?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You'll need to special order that car. Some dealers may not be willing to do that.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    I can answer your questions:

Questions:
    1. what is the likelihood of a base V6, FWD, with a towing pkg being available at the end of June.
    *** Nil. CA cars have, minimally, "DR TO AG CQ HE CF". It's already the middle of April, and were I (or anyone) to even special order-build a car for you special, it's still a 3-4 month wait.

2. Does Calif apply a tax regardless of the fact that the vehicle will be licensed elsewhere?

** If you reside in another state, with a driver's license and credit report as proof, then there is no sales tax and no license due to the state of CA.

3. Any problem with getting temp tags that last at least 3 weeks?
    ***Yes, as the only way you can leave the state w/o paying sales tax or license is a 1-way trip permit, and that's a max of 72 hours to get outta the state and head home. But there are ways to circumvent that so you can spend a few extra days at Dizzyland!

Dianne
  • olsabeckolsabeck Member Posts: 3
    I have a HL with Michelin P235/70
    LTX M/S 16 tires and they really
    make my HL ride very smooth and
    I still get good gas mileage (21.5)
    on my third tank, but I also have the
    4 CYL engine. I have enough horse-
    power for me here in Florida.Hope
    this helps you on finding the right
    tire for your HL.Also I had my tires
    put on at the Port too.
  • jporterfield1jporterfield1 Member Posts: 3
    I wouldn't give up on the local dealers just yet. You can get a higlnader without the Extramile packages, you just have to get one the is already on the way in and tell them to take the optuions off before it gets to houston. As long as you want at least CQ DL DR HE MG PG you should be able to get one in about 3 weeks
  • mcw31762mcw31762 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could explain how this works....

1. Do dealers get allocation lists every week?
    2. Is the allocation specific to a dealership or to a region?
    3. If it is to a region, is it first come first serve on the vehicles?
    4. Do the dealers see what is allocated to other dealerships?
    5. Can you tell I'm going out of my mind?????

I've been waiting for someone in my area to be "allocated" a bluestone, "but it ain't happenin'"!!
    I noticed that it is no longer an option for an exterior color on the "build your own" area of the toyota website....any reason for that?

Curious, too, how other dealers handle their customers who are waiting and waiting and waiting...how often do you do a "locate" or do you just wait for an allocation? I'm getting ready to call my dealer and hear some more bad news!
  • daltexdaltex Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I just picked up my 4x2, V6, Bluestone Limited, VD,BE,SK,EJ Monday night. I think I'm in love. The only thing that's hurting me right now is the break-in period. Stay under 55 mph for the first 1,000 miles.....I must be in Hell.

Amkup, the Homelink is very easy to do (just make sure your opener is Homelink-compatible). I even used the instructions to program Honey's Infiniti (the book did not provide the "rolling code" instructions...losers).

Has anyone who has the glass-break sensor tried to activate it? The Toyota info says that tapping the glass with a key should set it off, but mine doesn't. Dealer says that glass would have to actually be broken (say it ain't so).
    No burning smell, no whistling noise from the roof rack, just awesome.
    How long did you wait for your bluestone???

Everyone...how long is too long to wait for a specific color?
    Will I kick myself if I "settle" for my second choice color?

Remember, I'm trying to be the patient one...
  • cadiznemomcadiznemom Member Posts: 1
    I can;I seem to find any info on the safety of this vehicle. I currently own a Windstar. I am looking to go to Toyota because of the great reputation it has for quality. WE also have a 90 camry. We love it and it is working still quite well, my husband will not get rid of it. Also any mechanical problems to be aware of? What is the gas mileage. It is important to me to have both quality and safety. Thanks for your help, if I do go to buy one what is too much to pay and how to get the best deal?
    Regarding how long you'll wait......it depends.

My understanding of the allocation process is that Toyota works with allocation "windows", so if you miss the current one, you can probably add another 30 days (60-90 days seems typical). I ordered mine in February (on the last day for that allocation), so the dealer wasn't even sure it would be this quick. Toyota sent back confirmation that it was in the allocation and that delivery would be late April/early May. Total wait time was 2 1/2 months. And considering that I plan on driving this one for a LONG time, I was willing to wait. The Bluestone color is AWESOME!
  • sbondysbondy Member Posts: 6
    We have also been trying to get a Bluestone. We have been waiting for about three weeks for the dealer to confirm that they will get one in their allocation. Mean while, a Bluestone comes into another dealership presold. So, I can sympathize with your situation. As to how long to wait, if you can I would wait as long as it takes to get exactly what you want, it doesn't make sense to settle. Good luck to you on your search.
  • beachacebeachace Member Posts: 7
    My wife works for Toyota (SET) and we've ordered the BlueStone HL Limited 2wd-6 cyl back on March 12 with every option they offered at the time. I've just added the (TG80) Color match Fender flares, (LG40) 24k Gold package and the (TU80) Raised letter Michelin tires. I know that the wait could be up to 120 days even for employees, but it will be worth it. We have been given the option for any other HL color they offer next day and I just want budge. I go to my local dealer every week just to drive one of theirs. I really like the input of all the HL Owners as well as the insight of the future buyers. I don't know if my two cents help, but I know waiting for the BlueStone HL, you want be sorry!!!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    The truth is I do not think anyone really knows. Below is my "limited" knowledge on the subject. Let's say you want a Buestone Highlander with certain Factory equipment that is available in your area without it being special ordered and your dealer does not have it in stock. Options are:
    1) Locate from another dealer
    2) Preference it off the allocation (which means asking for one of the Highlanders the dealer "earned" to be the color and equipment that you want as a customer.
    The delay problem in your case may be due to any number of variables that can range from not "earning" high enough on the allocation and other higher volume dealers that sell more Highlanders will get the color requested before your dealer. Maybe the dealer didn't sell enough Highlanders and sell them quick enough to earn on that allocation or maybe the dealer has Highlanders on the ground when the allocation occurs that will also penalize the dealer. There are so many variables that I do not know what the situation is and I understand how frustrated you are. I am not even going to address the possibility of it may be available and the dealer can not trade with another dealer because they do not have another Highlander to give back because I am confident that an agreement can be made for a sold unit. An allocation will occur roughly the second and last week of a given month and if you are dealing with a dealer that sells decent volume I wouldn't be opposed to a dealer saying they are going to try to get one of the next allocation. I hate to speak on a subject that I am not positive about but this should give you a better understanding of how the process works. The best way to look at it for our region is to picture SET buying train and ship loads of vehicles and then spreading them out to the most deserving dealers first and so on down to all 163 SET dealers. The dealer can "ask" for a special car but that does not mean he is going to get it. The allocation process is designed to be the most fair way to distribute the vehicles to the most deserving. Again, if any of this info is not exactly correct, I apologize, I have never found anyone that could sit down and show me without them throwing their hands in the air after 5 minutes and saying they do not know either.
    I appreciate all the comments! It is very frustrating, I probably didn't help matters much by switching dealers...but at least my current dealer is in my hometown so I can "bug" him easier than the one that was 120 miles away! I started all this on Feb. 24 with a St. Louis guy and started with my local dealer on Mar. 31...so I guess I still have some time to wait. My dealer is telling me that he can get me into just about any other color right now...but I told him I'll hold out a little longer....I don't want to get my second choice and then the next week pass my coveted bluestone on the highway!

patience, patience, patience.....thanks for all the support!
    What a buyer needs to consider is Bluestone in our region represents only 10% (that is up from 4% in Feb.) of all Highlanders. If you are wanting certain factory combinations that equate to only 15% of all Highlanders the dealer is looking for a vehicle that only 15% of the 10% will work. I am sure your dealer is doing all that is possible to get you the exact vehicle as soon as possible. Remeber that you can always special order your vehicle just the way you want it and domestic vehicle production shouldn't take more then 6-9 weeks in most cases.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    But the HL is not a domestic build vehicle. I'm not even sure we could order a Japanese built 2001 at this point. Those orders take 4 to 6 months and that would be pushing the build out even with an optimistic outlook.
    sorry about that, I had a Sequoia on my mind that I special ordered and am getting off the allocation spread Thursday. You are right in saying that over seas production may take 90-120 days and if they are not building any more with the right equipment wanted a consumer would have to wait for retooling for the 2002. An interesting note for domestic production for those interested, after the vehicle is built it generally will take only 10-14 days for it to arrive at the dealership if it is reported sold.
  • skyrebskyreb Member Posts: 129
    Hi all. My wife and I (including overnight luggage) just returned from a 400+ mile trip down to Boston. My HL (V6; AWD; unlimited) has 2800 miles on it, and delivered 25.3 mpg driving a consistent 70 mph. Needless to say I was well satisfied. At one point, I got into strong cross winds, and I did experience some of the noise we have previously discussed. I cannot tell, but I am not convinced it is coming from the roof rack?? Otherwise, the car is a delight to drive, very comfortable, and I appreciate it more and more the longer I drive it. I also changed the oil for the first time.
    Absolutely no problems .... fit, finish and quality are absolutely superb.
    Happy motoring.
  • bkaltbkalt Member Posts: 3
    I'm fairly large 6' 2". I fit very well. It would be perfect if I had another inch leg room.
    Apparently I have a heavy foot. I am averaging about 19 mpg with mostly highway
    driving at about 70 mph.
  • rfhourfhou Member Posts: 47
    skyreb, I agree with you on the wind noise-it may not be the roof rack. When I emailed Toyota about the noise, I raised the possibility that it was an air leak. Windshield seal or door gasket letting in a little air?????? None the less, it is a great SUV.
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi I'm wondering what is the going rate for the HL in the tri-state area in sliver. 4x4 v6 can someone help or if anyone have brought one in New York Queens area and gotten a good deal please help.
  • kudadkudad Member Posts: 1
    Just weighing in as one more Highlander owner (late January) aware of the crosswind medium-pitched howl, at highway speeds. First noted on the way home from the dealer. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem--maybe that will get it fixed for us. Thanks for all your input.
  • rubytuesdayrubytuesday Member Posts: 21
    B717,
    when my sensor came loose it was on the pax side, under the dash - it was stuck on with double stick tape. Good luck finding yours - it could be stuck on under the other side on your HL! It's black, about the size of a quarter, attached to a wire. Mine was near the center console, under the dash.

So far about 1200 miles, no wind whistle, just lots of admiring looks! Last week a tourist stopped by when I was at a stop light to inquire about my HL! He walked in front of it first and mouthed "WOW - NICE CAR" !

Aloha!
  • rrmcdonaldrrmcdonald Member Posts: 29
    Whether it is the roof rack or otherwise, please contact Toyota. If enough complain maybe they will do something about it.
  • skyrebskyreb Member Posts: 129
    For a portion of our trip I let my wife drive. I checked the outside air vent (I closed it) it almost sounded like it was there, but that did not stop it. I am certain it is not the aerial, as some have suggested. I wonder if it is the windshield wipers ... maybe air is coming under the hood and out the opening just before the windshield. Some of you that drive faster and hear the sound more frequently, try turning on the wipers and see if the sound changes. My wife thinks it is the outside mirror, and it may be. I feel it is somewhere in that area.
    The roof rack does make noise, but it is a predictable sound of wind, constant, and not objectionable. This is an non constant sound that is heard only when a strong gust hits the car. It may be a high frequency vibration too?? On a positive side, the cross winds do not overly impact the stable ride of the HL.
    Ok, bear with me, I know I've been whining about not getting my bluestone lately...but I have yet another question...

Is it possible for dealers to "deal" out of their region or is this a "taboo" thing among dealers?

I ask because I've seen a couple of bluestones in GA and TN...I'm in MO....can my dealer work with people outside of the region?

Thanks again for listening!
    We can but, it isn't easy. The dealer exchange system works on the personal relationships of the inventory mangers in each store. There are several dealers within my region that we wont do trades with because they screwed up trades in the past. They would make promises to us but didn't follow through. We cut them off.

On an out of region trade, we don't know who it is we are dealing with. We also have very little recourse if the car is delivered damaged or not what we asked for. As a dealer, we take a risk when trading with people we don't know. We generally avoid it but it can be done in extreme circumstances.

The other problem is getting it. Unless you live on the border of a region, you are looking at some logistical problems. If we send a tow truck, our expenses increase. If we send a driver, you get a lot more miles before you own it.
  • debralewisdebralewis Member Posts: 5
    On Saturday I went to Amity Toyota on
    Sunrise Highway in Amityville L.I.. I had been shopping for about 4 weeks for the Highlander. All the prices I found we over the top and the dealers acted like they were doing me a favor by allowing me look at the Highlanders on their lots. I got a really good deal there even though I had a trade I feel as if The price was right.
    Msrp 30,515 4x4 V6 (on limited)
    Millennium Silver,DR,DL,EH,SR,BE,TO,AG,CQ,HE,CF,
    I ended by paying 27301. I did get about about
    $ 300 less for my trade but I walked away a happy customer. If the invoice they showed me was accurate I paid 301 over invoice.
    The car was in stock and I bought it on the spot.
    I love the car/suv.
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Anyone have leads to discounted Toyota trailer hitches for my HL? Other cars (shhhh (the Odyssey)!) have leads to dealers etc., who sell manufacturer parts at a discount. Help? Thanks!
  • montanabill1montanabill1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to all for the info. After looking and researching tires I decided against the Michelin Cross Terrain as they have a closed shoulder which is not as good on snow - generally. Ended up buying the newer Toyo Open Country AT for more aggressive and snow performance. $250 difference on trading in my OEM Bridgestones. The Toyos are a well built tire and have AB 500 treadware. With an additional nylon belt over the two steel belts, they are tougher than the Michelins. The ride is great with maybe some tire noise while deacelerating from 40 to 30mph.
  • jwc29jwc29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi HL fans... What a great thing this! OK, to the point. We(wife & I)are shopping for a 2WD V6, with limited package ($3495)plus other options. We also want the leather package ($1015). The limited package includes the preferred package and the preferred package includes the 8 way power drivers seat. The leather package also includes the 8 way power seat. It seems I am paying for this seat twice ($390). Have not seen actual stickers to see if when you buy the limited and leather, is the leather package discounted? Thanks for any help from you diligent shoppers.
  • gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    acsmith,

Try these sites. I've got no experience with them but they claim to sell Toyota parts.

Good Luck!

http://www.toyotaguys.com/

http://www.toysport.com/catalog/Toyota%20OEM%20Parts%20and%20Accessories.htm

• shenghshengh Member Posts: 29
    A local dealer in northern IL has quoted me 9% over invoice on a loaded Highlander 4WD V6 (limited package, leather, etc...) and it comes out to about $1000 less than sticker.

How does this compare to what the rest of you are seeing out there?

Thanks in advance!
  • fourdickinsonsfourdickinsons Member Posts: 8
    I will be purchasing a HL (V6 2WD) this summer, and I am wondering if the toyo guard protection package (approx. $650) is bogus or for real. Do I need this? I know they sell toyo guard polish in a can and am wondering if this is the same thing. My dad recently purchased a new Camry and did not opt for the toyo guard protection package. Anybody know the truth about this?
    You should not pay over $750 over invoice. I am looking at the 2WD-V6 with the appearence package, roof rack, and rear spoiler, and got a drive out (7% tax) price of below 27,000. My advice is to handle everything over the phone and only visit the dealership when it is time to pick up your vehicle. It was relatively easy to talk them into 750 over invoice, so I think I will go for 500 over invoice. Let me know how it goes with you!
  • abuyer1abuyer1 Member Posts: 31
    A number of posts on this board are from tall drivers who feel that they cannot get comfortable in the Highlander because of limited leg room, or because their foot keeps bumping into the parking brake pedal. My dealer tells me that the foot rest for the left foot can be removed. With that obstacle remove, I understand that leg room is improved. I'm going to have that done to my Highlander the next time it is serviced.
    OK guys, careful what you say. How much you'll pay over invoice depends on a lot of things...most importantly location. There are some geographical areas that don't need to discount as much and still can't keep any HLs on the lot. You may only get $1000 off MSRP and somebody else gets $3000 off on the other side of the country! I got ~$2500 off MSRP and it was the best deal around in this area (Dallas). I know that there are folks around who have gotten better deals (and folks who have gotten worse deals). Whatever the price, I think this is a great vehicle and am glad to finally be driving one!
    Answer this to see if Toyoguard is a good value for you:
    Do you want:
    Paint sealant- paint protection polymer design to prevent premature deteriation caused by harsh weather or salt air. Hand detailed buffed, polished and inspected under fluorescent light. helps prevent loss of luster.

Undercoat and sound shield- heavy resilient coating applied under high pressure to floor pan area, fender extensions, rocker panel, frame reinforcements, fuel tank bottom and rear body panels. Helps prevent rocks, stones ,debris from chipping underside. Undercaoating significantly reduces road noise.

Interior protection- seals fabric fibers to protect against stain absorption and makes clean up easier.

Theft protection system- VIN is permanently laser etched on every window making it impossible to alter or delete. VIN are on file in state dept of motor vehicles offices throughout the country. If vehicle is stolen and not recovered a check for $1000.00 will be presented to the owner of the vehicle.

If none of this is your cup of tea, do not opt for this option.

If you like, I suggest you consider putting a dollar value in your head of its value to you and make a well informed decison.

example: Is it worth 619,500,400,300,200 or nothing.

My two cents, I have it on my own Toyotas because I see the value in it. It does not mean if you do not have it on your car you did something wrong.

Steve, please do not kick this out. People ask about Toyoguard all of the time and this is the info they want. This is not solicitation for Toyoguard.
    Thanks for the response. I live in Georgia and it sounds like to me that the toyo guard package is for people who live in the north/northeast where you have salt on the roads after snowing. This is a dealer installed option, correct? So if I order a HL, then they are going to give me the option to accept the toyo guard package or not, correct?
    Toyoguard is not installed at the dealer. It is applied at either Commerce, Ga or Jacksonville, Fl at Southeast Toyota distributor facility (depending on which place the vehicle goes through). If it is already on the car and that is the only thing preventing you from buying the car I'm confident they will work something out with you. If they are getting you the car before it reaches the "port" facility (that is where the PIO are installed) the dealer would request not to have the options you do not want installed on your vehicle and it will be shipped to the dealer exactly the way you would like. Toyoguard is an option just like, two tone paint, fender flares, mich tire upgrade, cargo net etc.
  • zeb3zeb3 Member Posts: 7
    Has anybody out there bought there HL on the interenet from carsdirect.com? I put in a request for a car with my specs and the price is decent. I cancelled the order which I put in previously after 5 weeks of waiting, never knowing an approximate date on delivery. But bailed out of the carsdirect.com deal also since they didn't offer me a great price on my trade-in. Any input is appreciated regarding carsdirect.com????
    The problems with Carsdirect is that they over promise things. They claim to be able to get any color or equipment packaging and they can't. They buy their cars from dealerships so are stuck when dealers don't have what you want. You would be better off e-mailing several dealers on your own. Take a look at the responses and work with the one that seems the most honest with his information. If you want something he doesn't have, he can try to get it from another dealer. Look for honesty. If you find that, the pricing will follow much easier.
  • zeb3zeb3 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information. I guess being in Memphis has its own downfall that I dont have much options but to settle with the resident dealers. Unless I strike a deal with other dealers out in MI or Arkansas. But have no clue as to how the tax thing works?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might be interested in this message (and check my link in the following one):

raybear "Toyota Sienna - What did you pay?" Apr 19, 2001 11:26am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Your local dealer, Covington Pike, is ranked # 16 in total volume in the nation YTD so far. I have not had any experience with them and have sold some cars up in Memphis but I would think they know how to put a deal together for you.