Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    Me neither but minivans are way more convenient for hauling toys and gear than pickups and SUVs. Dry lockable storage, low liftover height, easy access. Unless you tow or have boulders in your driveway, they are about perfect. Bet a sport bike would fit in the back nicely too. :shades:

I have a friend down in Chicago a few years older than me that has the same minivan that I do and he's been shopping for a replacement for a few years (sound familiar?). Until the gas mileage brouhaha, the Soul was number one on his list.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    The pictured Kia isn't an honest practical minivan though, it is yet another tallish fake SUV. Minivans are what the crossover set would drive, if ego didn't get in the way. It's funny that vehicles chosen in reaction to what a demographic sees as boring are just as boring or maybe even more so than what they react against.

On that note, I examined a parked Transit the other day. I am not sure if it is long enough for a bike, but the low height would be useful. Would be an expensive conversion though.

The Soul is a cheap and cheerful box. Doesn't pretend to be much else.
    The Transit has possibilities, but seems geared more for short haul city trips.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Me neither but minivans are way more convenient for hauling toys and gear than pickups and SUVs. Dry lockable storage, low liftover height, easy access

And, they must accept a 4x8 building sheet on floor and be able to close/lock the tailgate. Within last few weeks, hauled home some plywood, drywall and foam insulation panels.

Minivans not so mini anymore. Look at current vintage of Honda Odyssey and compare to original Dodge/Chrysler vans of the 80's.

Minivans one of the best things, concepts since sliced bread. But, probably still some guys who are afraid to own one, be seen in one. Women are smarter and more practical and drive minivans for their practicality.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And, they must accept a 4x8 building sheet on floor and be able to close/lock the tailgate. Within last few weeks, hauled home some plywood, drywall and foam insulation panels.

Minivans not so mini anymore. Look at current vintage of Honda Odyssey and compare to original Dodge/Chrysler vans of the 80's.

But the original short WB minivans weren't able to carry 4x8 sheet goods inside with the door closed.
    Really? The entire crossover/small SUV category exists via the desire of female customers who would probably be better served by a minivan, but don't want the image.

Funny thing, to car enthusiasts, a typical SUV is no cooler than a minivan, and often less so, as at least the van isn't pretending.
    a typical SUV is no cooler than a minivan, and often less so, as at least the van isn't pretending.

True, true.

I observe from time-to-time people with suvs smaller than a Suburban at a big box store trying to squeeze in big items. My Honda Ody with middle seats out and rear seats down easily takes in almost anything I care to buy and haul out. Don't need deliveries too often except for new refrigerator, big couch, mattress, loads of mulch or black dirt, etc. But, I am as not as stylish as those with the fancy suvs.
    And you get better mileage too. Unless someone is into heavy towing or legitimate off road driving, most of the big tanks are utterly pointless.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2013
    My van has 99 cubic feet of storage behind the 2nd row, that's 5 seats. Beats mid-sized SUVs' capacity behind the front row, with just 2 people.

Cake and eat it.

The kids I haul around won today. Girls team also. Not a bad day. :shades:
    Unless you are towing a big boat, car, large camper, etc, it is the way to go. Less problematic for surrounding vehicles, too.
    edited January 2013
    "short WB minivans weren't able to carry 4x8 sheet goods inside with the door closed"

My '89 Voyager couldn't do that. But the hatch closed most of the way and hauling sheetrock or plywood for a couple of miles didn't matter much anyway. Just cracked the windows to help keep the exhaust out.

My '99 Quest will haul plywood, but I had to leave the hatch partly open on one lumberyard trip. The 12' long sheets of drywall just didn't quite fit. :shades:
    I've hauled lattice sheets inside, with room to spare.

The front seat folds flat so you can fit 12 foot long lumber inside, it's almost ridiculously roomy.

A buddy carries a Kayak inside, no kidding. I'd use the roof but that's funny!

Back to commercials, the one for the Kia Sedona with the dad running errands at a crazy pace was funny.
    edited January 2013
    Whitewater kayaks retail for around $1200 and up, and they used to be hard to lock to roof racks. That may have changed, but it's nice to be able to stash gear inside (odors notwithstanding). I have friends almost as tall as some of the newer canoes. :D
    edited January 2013
    With the NFL running heard on everyone using their trademark, I'm not sure how we get away with referring to the "S____ B___". News, not promotion I suppose.

"GM will run four Chevrolet ads during the 2013 Super Bowl pre-game show. The company declined to place ads during the game itself due to CBS’s high asking price, estimated to be as much as $3.8 million for a 30-second spot." (tumblr.edmunds.com)
    Could work, the game starts kinda late.
    With the NFL running heard on everyone using their trademark, I'm not sure how we get away with referring to the "S____ B___"

Title of this thread is safe, so far. The "big game". Ads from food stores in our newspapers over the weekend used "big game".

A guy from Indiana tried to trademark, or similar process', the term "Har-bowl" about two weeks ago. He said he wanted to merely sell t shirts. Somehow the NFL found out about it, contacted him and then advised he could not use the term and to abandon it. This guy was interviewed on a Chicago radio station recently.

Big game pre-show will be a great spot to show the 2014 Chevrolet Impala. Saw a Chevrolet clip of this car on the road on a one-hour tv program about the Detroit Auto Show. It was a medium metallic red color and the styling looked good. Still don't like the crease in rear doors just below the door handle.
    Love this one:

http://youtu.be/SohqIBOb03k

Especially the dogs slobbering.

This is terrible:

http://youtu.be/zY49-LHyBk0

Wrong car for this style ad, and comparing to benchmarks only acknowledges you're not it.
    edited January 2013
    Those are both funny, the latter maybe not intentionally so. Some not apples to apples comparisons there (4matic car vs RWD car), and horsepower claims are funny - that Genesis has a few more hp than my old E55 too, but is no faster, and I bet my car handles better. Meh.

I also see very few if any turbo Sonatas on the road, odd they would make an ad for it. It's a funny concept though, actually encouraging people to pass - we need more of that.
    http://youtu.be/iymBRSUfz9U

Better than the preview, certainly. Love the squirrels.
    In the real world those slow pokes don't even stay in the right lane...
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    That's a good one.
    Oh man, I had high hopes for this series, too:

http://youtu.be/9H0xPWAtaa8

That's just awful. :(
    It's not bad. It's going to take a while to introduce the new tag line.
    I cringed a little at the bad accent.

And where's Jimmy Cliff? Would have been funnier if he'd been in the car.
    Kind of annoying, I'd probably throw something at someone if they tried that accent with me. But, it's the Beetle, I am not the target market anyway.
    Yeah, 16 year old girls all over the world are giggling. ;)

Walking my daughter to school, she said she didn't like wedges but liked a yellow Beetle that drove by.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I cringed a little at the bad accent.

We get bad Jamaican accents, while the Netherlands gets this:

Dog loves VW

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he was perfectly happy to accept the money to remake the song and star in the first ad but performing with the actual product might be construed as being a "total sellout".
    Love it, can't go wrong with dog themes. :shades:
    Yeah, funny. Guessing the text at the end says "not everything is built like a Volkswagen", or similar.
    http://youtu.be/W7cerrxEdQA

Definitely has potential...let's see.
    Love it, can't go wrong with dog themes.

Then you offend all the people who are afraid of or allergic to dogs or prefer cats. Just think of the lawsuits....
    Sue me for what? A 7 year old minivan? ;)
    edited January 2013
    This power outage brought to you by Mercedes Benz electronics.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    Good thing it is not Lucas stadium. not only would the lights have gone out, but it would have caught fire too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited February 2013
    Wouldn't it better to be Audi (who has sent out a smarmy tweet, yet the VAG group is a leader for electrical issues)?

This naptime brought to you by Toyota :shades:
    Well, MB does pays a lot of money to put their name on the Mercedes Benz Superdome....
    Nice commercial last night on the big game. The Hyundai Turbo with man/woman (husband/wife) and look on woman's face when they are approaching disgusting vehicles. And a driver too, in case of early part of commercial where they come upon a motorcycle with unique exhaust pipes and a largish guy showing a part of his lower back. Hyundai made good case for having a turbo to get around these creepy vehicles and their drivers.
    When you looked up you saw a bunch of lights, a big Benz logo in the middle, and then lights out on the other side.

PA-DIDDLE! :D
    I'd seen it, but the kids laughed hard when they saw the dogs slobbering.

The Kia one with the babies dropping out of the sky was funny, and they found a way to get Uvo into the commercial.

I thought the Tide commercial with the Joe Montana stain stole the show, though.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    the Montana one was funny.

I also liked the Taco Bell one with the geezers breaking out of the home, and burning rubber in the '71 or so Plymouth.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yeah my kids were cracking up at that one.
    Edmunds was twitting non-stop during the Super Bowl. Some interesting tidbits:

More consideration lifts on @Edmunds thru kickoff: @Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (+10%), @Hyundai Genesis (+830%) and Santa Fe (+212%)

@Hyundai's pre-game and 1Q presence led to a big boost of brand consideration (+201%) on http://Edmunds.com #SuperBowlAds

Toyota RAV4's ad ran near the end of Q1, and the car saw a 250% lift in consideration on @Edmunds during Q2.

@Audi S6's vehicle consideration spiked 73 percent on http://Edmunds.com during the 4th quarter. #brandbowl

"The big winner -- at least in terms of immediate interest -- was Hyundai, which saw a 738% increase in traffic to Edmunds.com pages about its Santa Fe model after the company's ad hit the air."

Hyundai wins Super Bowl auto ad wars (CNN Money)
    Yet Audi, an electrical issue king, sent out the twitty tweet :shades: Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

A commercial I have seen that made me laugh was the Sorento ad where the guy exits the car through the rear hatch. Although my laugh might not be what is intended, as the car is a loaded model, I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento.
    edited February 2013
    Do people actually "consider" cars via superbowl ads, or is that just marketing shtick? Aging Genesis up 800+% via a pretty loose ad? Sounds weird.
    I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento

That is not a lot of money nowadays.

30k is about what you'll spend just on options on european 3 row lux SUVs.

The Buick Enclave we liked was over $46 grand. Prius V was $36k. Q7 was {CENSORED}. :D
    edited February 2013
    Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

Maybe they prefer to own a team rather than just paying to slap their name of an aging facility. :P

I can understand MB paying naming rights for the Superdome. It gets the Superbowl everty 5-7 years and that attracts the largest single game audience in the world. And their sponsorship in F1 and PGA golf fits right in with their target market.

VW does their sports marketing a little differently. They own Vfl Wolfsburg - a soccer/football team as well as the stadium they play in. They are the shirt sponsors of DC United, the Sligo Rovers of the Irish Premier League and Puebla FC in Liga MX. The have the naming rights to a soccer team and their stadium in Soweto SA, are the "official" car of MLS and have other various deals in other sports. They seem to do smaller deals that reach more people more often.

I didn't see the Audi tweet. Anyone have a link?