Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I got my wife a brand new 1990 300 E back in 1990. It was a 6 cylinder. Small car that drove like a much bigger car. She kept it for 5 years. Still a record. It was a very good car, but my favorite MB was a 1978 240 D...

In 1987, I owned a new MB 300 SDL. It had the diesel with a trap oxidizer to stop the black smoke out of the exhaust. It was a huge car - same body as the 560 SEL and 420 SEL, but it was a diesel. Great car on the summers, but those winters in Chicago played havoc with the ability to start. Sometimes it took 70-80 seconds until the glow plug could start the engine when it was below 0 degrees F.

I also leased a 300 E in 1991 in San Diego and kept that car for 5 years, believe it or not. Only car I kept that long in my life. Great car, never had a problem with it.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    My parents kept that 300E for 7 years & over 135,000 miles. It was my Mom's daily driver for 5 of those 7 years. In 1995 she leased a Dodge Stealth R/T (not a turbo). When they sold the 300E back in 1997, I went with the man who bought it on a test drive. I remember telling him everything I knew about the 300E. When he pulled back into the driveway, he popped the hood and asked if I had a flashlight. I said: "Sure, but if you are going to look for the head gasket it has been replaced;)

The guy bought the car. He commented to my Mom about how he was impressed by what I knew about the car. She said to me: "Bradd, do you know what this man does for a living?"

Me: "No clue."

Mom: "He's an assistant service manager at the MB dealer."

So like I said, Mom had the 300E from 1990 - 1997. A Stealth from 1995 - 1998, a 1998 CLK 320, a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro, 2005 BMW 530i, 2008 BMW 328xi, and her current 2011 Porsche Cayenne that will be 2 years old on Tuesday with over 45,000 miles on the odometer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited December 2012
    A 1990 300E was my Mom's daily driver.

1990 300E is another example that shows good design is timeless. That Mercedes model still looks good today.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited December 2012
    but my favorite MB was a 1978 240 D

1978 240 D was also a great classic design that looks good today.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    In 1987, I owned a new MB 300 SDL.

Those were pretty big, still, great looking car. There is one on Kijiji (like Craigs list) for $3200! Probably the depreciation isn't too bad considering the price you paid way back then.

This I believe is similar but may not be the diesel model...may be one or two years different.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited December 2012
    Here is a picture of a nice Pagoda roof model

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    You captured two of my favorites in one picture, explorer!

Yep, that's the MB roof, and next to it is a 70-73 Olds Cutlass.

I had a 71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible in Mint Metallic Green

with the same interior as the pic, but with factory wheels that

I think looked better than the shiny spokes. Only car I ever owned

for almost 6 years. Great car.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    This I believe is similar but may not be the diesel model...may be one or two years different

That is the exact car I owned in the 300SDL version - huge car inside and out. Even had foot rests in the back seat for the rear passengers.

The color I had was called "smoke silver", which is similar to 2009's pewter metallic with brown leather interior. What a tremendous road car - take it up to 80 mph and it just sat back on it's chassis and road smooth as silk - but you still had the sporty ride and sport handling - way back when you could feel the road under you and in the steering. They don't make them like that anymore, unfortunately.

I bought the car new from the general manager of a Mercedes dealer in the western suburbs of Chicago whose kid went to my school. I paid invoice for the car which was $47,000 - MSRP was about $59,000. Those were the days when there was a 20% profit margin in the Benz line. Not any more!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I had a 71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible in Mint Metallic Green

I had a 72 Cutlass S (hand me down) hardtop coupe that was painted Gulf Green Metallic.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Not really comparable to today's cars, but back then the Rocket 350

really was a Rocket. Better than Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and Caddy of

the same time period. Handling wasn't bad either for a heavy car.

(Exempting the Z28 350 LT1 with solid lifters and wild factory cam)

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I just realized that the car I bought my wife in 1990 was actually a 190E 2.6, not a 300E. Too many numbers to keep track of, plus I'm old, so I'm entitled to screw up now and then.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I bought my wife in 1990 was actually a 190E 2.6, not a 300E.

For me, the 190E is one of the best designed cars ever. This is a 1993 model, the 190s last year. I like the squared off lines and the large windows. I like the sculpted trunk too.

These cars were designed before air drag numbers became so important, and cars became all rounded edges.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited December 2012
    Why would you say the "Rocket" 350 was a "better" engine than the other GM engines were at that time.

I've owned all of those cars and I would respectifully disagree with you.

" Rocket" was simply a marketing name although a '49 Bubble Coupe was a car to reckon with at the time. I know my GTO would eat a 442 alive!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I know my GTO would eat a 442 alive!

You are 100% correct, isell, since I owned a 1966 GTO coupe, Hurst 4 speed on the floor, and the big engine. I remember drag racing an Olds 442 down Route 110 in Huntington, Long Island, New York, back in those days and I left him in the dust.

It was, without doubt, one of the fastest cars I ever owned. Fire Engine Red, Black interior, and all muscle. Nothing could beat it off the line except a Corvette.

In 1967, I was T-Boned in the GTO, and it was a total loss. I went out the very next week after getting our of the hospital and bought a racing blue Corvette Stingray Coupe (fastback) with a 427 with 435 hp and a Muncie 4 speed with lock out reverse. Now that was the fastest car on the road at that time. It even ate GTO's, lol.

But, yes, for a stock muscle car, the GTO was "boss" in those days.

I remember that the side GTO emblems would say "7 Litres" I believe. Wasn't it a 389 c.i.d. engine with 2 four barrel carbs from Rochester? I think it generated (in the old horsepower lingo) 400 hp. I believe the GTO I had came in on special order with a high speed rear end for improved "off the line" performance.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Well, a "high speed" rear end would cause the opposite. Higher and quietier highway speeds. For off the line performance you needed a low ratio.

Your '66 GTO had a 389 engine. If it had a 4BBL, it had 335 H.P.. there was never a 2 4BBL option but you could get a 360 H.P. version that used three 2 BBL carbs.

I once whipped a 442 with my '62 Impala. It had a 300 H.P. 327 engine and a Powerglide.

327 Chevies weren't to be messed with and they could and would give a GTO a close race.

Maybe the hottest of all were the Buick Skylark Gran Sports.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited December 2012
    "...it sounds confusing..."

Well actually I do know what you're talking about in theory. The practice of setting that up would be a nightmare for me though. I know how a lot of things like car systems are suppose to work but the actual choice of which screw to turn or which component to install baffles me sometimes. Electronics in particular make me crazy because I can't see where the electrons are going as opposed to a mechanical system where I can see how gears turn and fuel flows. :confuse:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Well, a "high speed" rear end would cause the opposite. Higher and quietier highway speeds. For off the line performance you needed a low ratio.

What I meant by high speed was that it had a low ratio rear end. I special ordered that right from the manufacturer. I just was not specific enough - my apologies.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    "...the only thing I know about links..."

Now I feel better too. Even I can post links because I had my son show me. I got the hang of it about the third time he muttered something about 'stupid old people'. :sick:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    next time he mumbles that, mumble back "out of the will".

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Every year at this time, many resolve to change their lives for the New Year for the better "or" help others achieve similar improvement goals. Given an opportunity to help others, it makes each of us stronger, more empathetic for others, and helps us to become better human beings.

Since I cannot leave the house for long periods of time due to my Dad and the care he needs, I've come up with an idea that all of us could benefit from - to help each other achieve a personal goal to improve the quality our lives.

Here are some examples of what I have in mind:

*To help one or more of our fellow posters stop smoking...
    *To help one or more of our posters lose weight to add years to his life span...
    *To help another poster to deal better with life's frustrations...
    *To assist another poster to curtail or eliminate a bad or unhealthy habit...
    *to help another poster stop buying so many new cars (ha, ha, ha)...

These are just a few ideas I had and I was wondering if there was enough interest to perhaps accomplish this. Of course, this forum is not the place for serious problems to be aired, but perhaps there are some things we, as a group of caring guys and gals, can do to help others accomplish something. Then, we could get weekly assessments on the progress each is making to achieve a goal.

Any interest in this or should I just "stifle"?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    327 Chevy Brings back many good memories of street racing in 1967. Had a 1966 Chevy II 327-350 HP, a real sleeper, only made about 5500 of them made & really rare today.
    It was fun to give a 5 to 10 car length head start to a 442, GTO, Grand Sport, 383 Road Runner, 390 Mustang, & others.
    Most "heads up" races were with 396-375 Camaros, 427-425 Corvettes, Hemi Road Runners, 396-375 Chevelles.
    Most people did not realize it was A/Stock at drag strip, the highest stock class at a shipping weight of 2800 pounds & 350HP = 8 LB per HP.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I've come up with an idea that all of us could benefit from - to help each other achieve a personal goal to improve the quality our lives.

All good suggestions Mike, here is an other:

"To help fellow posters spend less time online"
  • Options
    "...what I have in mind..."

Well I don't have any of those bad habits except for the last one and I kind of like having that car buying monkey on my back. :)

Thanks for the kind thoughts tho'.

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    "...before air drag numbers became so important..."

Being a lover of square lines in cars, I have to wonder if all the changes made to cars because of air drag numbers really made any difference in gas consumption. What do you think? It was certainly a high cost to pay in the design departments.

Richard
  • Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    I need help with #s 1,2,3, and 4. The problem is that at my age I don't want to give any of them up. :P Still, it would be a nice idea to try to help the younger crowd. I could certainly give plenty of advice on what NOT to do.

I decided against adding "technology advice" to your list. I can't understand the advice when I read it. :cry: (Sorry imidazol---you have certainly tried.)

Mike, don't let me steal your thunder. You had a sweet idea from a really nice guy.

Richard
  • Options
    Being a lover of square lines in cars

Me too. I remember a poster a while back referring to new cars as looking like a bar of soap. He is right and 1/10th of a MPG does not make me want to buy a bar of soap car.

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Mike - nice idea.

Mako - I hear you. I can live with some aerodynamic design but it ought to be a pretty big payoff in mpg. We're long past the point where cars are losing their identities. Most of us could see a couple dozen cars from the 50s or 60s and identify each one of them without breakin a sweat. That's all long gone.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    "...looking like a bar of soap..."

If this is a bar of soap, lather me up! :)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/2015-Ford-Mustang- 1.jpg

I still haven't seen any real photos of the 2015. What do you think compared to your GT, better or worse?

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    If Edmunds produces some real results, then charges you a dues increase, I'll pay the increase. It would be worth it to see that car company jacked up.

Just getting back to this site now.

I sent the email to the Edmunds PR Team like Kirstie asked me to do and I got a reply that my email went to the reporter that is writing an article (forget now what rag it is) about car warranties that don’t work. So, I’m on hold as to whether or not they want more info.

Who knows, the new year might start out with a bang about as loud as the noise Mrs. j said the XG350 made when it blew up. :):D

If it pans out you’re on for paying my dues increase. :P

Happy New Year guys,

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    OK, I misunderstood.

Trying to remember, I think GTO's of that era came with a 355 rear end but a 411 or even a 456 could be ordered from the factory.

The 355's made the most sense because thjey would really rev at highway speeds with the lower ratios. I don't remember what mine had since it was fifteen years old when I bought it.

I did hear one chirp rubber in all four gears once. THAT takes some doing!
  • Options
    Oh, I remember those Chevy II's! They were just plain WICKED especially with the 350 HP version!

Talk about a SLEEPER!!
  • Options
    photos of the 2015 It won't look any thing like that.

Probably some of the artist rendering and some of what we have now.

That 4 door stuff you hear is dreaming along with the Lambo doors.

I expect changes for the 50th anniversary, but some of those will be

the addition of an Eco-Boost 3.5 litre turbo engine and some styling.

I went for the 420 Horsepower as I expect that to be the last of the

high output engines before CAFE and the economy put them back to

around 280-320 HP.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hey! We don't allow that kind of language here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited December 2012
    all the changes made to cars because of air drag numbers really made any difference in gas consumption. What do you think?

I would buy a car based on it's design more than the mpg unless there was a very significant difference.

One car I really enjoyed was my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I wanted to keep my 2000 because I thought this model would become a classic. The Cherokee is pretty small for an SUV, it is rugged because it has a frame. The downside is it is noisy and for many the ride would be too firm...though I liked that. Also, the back door is almost impossible for any normal size adult to enter, without doing contortions. This along with a Hummer and Toyota FX have to be among the least aerodynamically designed cars made in the present.

I like the design though, and although it is like a block moving through air, I would buy it if it suited my needs.

• Options
    What do you think compared to your GT, better or worse?

I will vote "worse".

Actually, that is the type of car I don't like. Too rounded with curves, OK for women, but not for cars.

Call me crazy, but Iwould prefer this 2001 model to the space age model;

• Options
    I like this 2006 model much more too.........since you asked!

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    He is right and 1/10th of a MPG does not make me want to buy a bar of soap car.

It’s way more than what you said and although I’ve never bought a car and gave one diddle of consideration to mileage a lot of people do and there is nothing wrong with that.

The rounded shape is also a major safety consideration especially roll over protection. The more square an object is, the more it will stay in contact with the object that hit it. That’s why 100 MPH baseballs and curve balls kept me out of the majors. :(

The down side of this today is almost all of the cars look like siblings. Back in the 50’s and 60’s you could see real design differences. While I liked the designs that I grew up with, I wouldn’t want to take a head on shot from most of the ones built today.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    "...I went for the 420hp...."

I worried about that too but I read that they will retain the 5.0L V-8 in the 2015. Just hope they meet the CAFE standards with the turbo 2.0L I read about and leave the 420hp motor alone.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    That's definitely one thing I've noticed. So many cars look alike these days. Way back when, you could tell the difference between an Olds & a Pontiac from a mile away.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Went for New Years dinner at the golf club...5 minute walk. Home by 7:30. In bed by 10!

Happy New Year from Tampa Bay Area,

Driver

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited December 2012
    That's definitely one thing I've noticed. So many cars look alike these days. Way back when, you could tell the difference between an Olds & a Pontiac from a mile away.

When my son was nearly 3 years old he would consistently identify-without ANY coaching on my part-three makes/models of cars: BMWs, Jeeps, and Mustangs- he later expanded to Audis, Corvettes, Mercedes, and Porsches. The reason was simple- they all possessed consistent styling cues that made them easy to differentiate from any other brand. Cadillac is trying to establish a design language and I'm interested to see if they will stick with it. Aside from these examples, I don't really think that any mass market cars really stand out from the crowd of amoebas.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    When my son was nearly 3 years old he would consistently identify-without ANY coaching on my part...

He was obviously a very gifted kid. Being able to distinguish differences and and similarities on a given set of examples is the first sign of giftedness in young children. He obviously took after his father.

He's the kind of poster we need on this site - someone who is bright and can teach is old folks a thing or two.

But, cars of the 50's and 60's had distinguishing differences that cars of the 80's and 90's (especially American made cars) did not have.

I always had difficulty telling the difference between the Chrysler "K" cars and the GM mid sized cars. Now, cars across manufacturing lines look so similar to each other. The Genesis and Equus both resemble the Mercedes lines and from the rear, it's hard to distinguish between Camry, Optima, etc.

Get your son active here on this forum - we could sure use someone who knows what he's talking about!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    From my family to all of you and your families - I wish all of you a wonderful, healthy and happy New Year. May this new year be better than the one that just ended!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited December 2012
    "...in bed by 10..."

You wild man! If I wasn't on school vacation this week I would have been asleep two hours ago.

Happy new year.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    And may I also wish us all a healthy and happy new year!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    it still amazes my wife that I can still often look at the head or taillights of a car at night and know what it is.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to be the first post in 2013. I hope *driver does not beat me to it.

Sending well wishes to Hillary Clinton and Comrade Hugo Chavez.

At the 11th. hour congress turned the so-called Fiscal Cliff into a fiscal precipice.

As usual congress made a few changes at the margins without addressing the structural deficit. Again, they kicked the can down the road. One thing for sure is that social security withholding taxes will be restored to 6.2%. The White House stresses shared sacrifice but does want to raise taxes on the middle class. Instead they want to soak the rich. Since 75% or more of taxpayers are in the middle class that’s where the focus should be.

Happy New Year all
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to be the first post in 2013. I hope *driver does not beat me to it.

Ah, I forgot about being first for 2013, if I had thought of that I would have set the alarm to get up earlier! Guess I will have to be content with being 2nd.

At the 11th. hour congress turned the so-called Fiscal Cliff into a fiscal precipice.

Or as Pimco's Bill Gross said, "We have changed the fiscal cliff into the fiscal Grand Canyon".

Happy 2013 and Beyond................

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited January 2013
    >Since 75% or more of taxpayers are in the middle class that’s where the focus should be.

I assume you mean 75% of the 53% who actually pay taxes. So that's 40% of the population who should have their taxes raised? I disagree.

>Instead they want to soak the rich.

Actually the rich have gotten great reductions in taxes since the Carter era. They need to pay more. One problem is that politicians wanted to force the Republicans to increase taxes RATES on the wealthy as a political goal. But the better solution would have been to ELIMINATE the tax loopholes used by many of the wealthy to shelter their money from taxes. And eliminate the off-shoring of monies, such as the whole Kennedy clan is purported to use to avoid its taxation in the US. Real patriots there.

I have felt all along the wealthy need to pay more and not have the loopholes to hide money from taxation.

And the recipients of the largess of other US citizens should get a reduction in the "free" money they receive. E.g., the "earned" income tax credits should be reduced after the current WH occupant doubled them in 2009 (approx). The payments for welfare, WIC, housing, should all be reduced so those capable of working who have made a job of gaming the system take a reduction. It shouldn't just be the Medicare reduction ($800,000,000,000) in payments that hurts the older US citizens that is written into ObamaMedicine, but all others receiving money from the treasury should feel some pain.

Worst of all the fraud rampant in the welfare, earned income tax credits, Medicare, medicaid, SSI, social security should all be investigated and prosecuted. There have been reports of hundreds of refunds going to the same address for IRS tax refunds; couldn't that easily be caught and blocked before sending out checks? Same for other reports of misuse of the tax refunds by others such as illegal immigrants and legal workers who get tax credits for dependents in other countries--it was reported in Indiana during the last year IIRC.

All this arguing over tax rates from the WH has been a distraction to take away inspection of the spending reductions needed. It's an old gimmick.

What's needed is to reduce actual spending. What is being offered is to reduce the increase, while actual spending will go up, year by year, but not as much as predicted.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I have felt all along the wealthy need to pay more and not have the loopholes to hide money from taxation

I agree with some of your opinions - the wealthy should pay more in taxes, but so should "everyone" pay more taxes. The wealthy should pay higher capital gains taxes; everyone should have a 5% surtax added just like was done in the Reagan years to help allievate deficits; there should be a "minimum" tax that "everyone" should pay like $100.

This is the only way this country can start to reduce deficits. We can no longer wait for the economy to go into "boom" status - it isn't going to happen! They refused to cut expenditures or come up with an actual budget.

So, all I have left to say is "...THE PEOPLE ELECTED THE PRESIDENT AND THE CONGRESS. NOW THEY WILL LEARN TO LIVE IN A SOCIETY THAT IS CONTROLLED BY GOVERNMENT AND BY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF RULES AND REGULATIONS..." If the people don't like what they, themselves, have created, then they will have to change it through the election process. Nothing can be done about this mess now. We have to live with this mess now for 4 more years - no choice - it is what it is.

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.