Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    When he went to look at the new model Azera he saw a Genesis. He loved it. The manager said he could have the Genesis instead, but he would have to pay the difference, a few thousand dollars. That is what he did and he loves the Genesis.

I was thinking JMonroe (wherever he is these days) should have brought his car down to Tampa, they sound a lot more reasonable down here.

It’s a long story and not pleasant. My Delray Beach brother died a few weeks ago from complications to anti-rejection drugs that were prescribed after his heart transplant in December 2007. His heart was fine at the end…a couple of other body parts were not.

OK, now let me answer your question. How the hell was I going to get a car with a blown engine down to Florida? After the towing, I would have still lost.

While in Florida a few weeks ago, I noticed the prices of cars are pretty competitive down there. So much so, my nephew is thinking of turning in his leased daily beater, 2010 Camry basic stripper edition although it has A/C, in the Delray Beach area. His real car is a 2009 Infinity coupe. I don’t know a good lease deal from a bad one but he thinks the 2013 Camry come-on deal is very good. So, it’s a possibility if the deal is as good in the spring as it is now. He knows there is fine print to review but so far he’s in. My SIL likes the lease deals she has gotten on her two Genny’s. In 2011 she did an early lease turn-in of her ’09 Genny V6 when she got one of those “your used car is worth a fortune” mailings. She plans to get another one when her lease is up in the spring of 2014.

As for a pro doing your negotiating, Son #1 enjoys helping people get a good deal and has helped a few fellow workers and neighbors with buying their cars over the years. Last spring one of the women that he helped (he gathers the facts then tells them where to go, who to talk to and how to finalize the deal) comes over to his desk, lays down 2 Franklins and says “thanks, it worked. You saved me a lot of money”. He refused the money but settled for a lunch. When his mother heard the tale she said, “you shouldn’t have even accepted that. If you’re going to help someone you don’t take payment of any kind for doing it. I thought I raised you better than that”. :( All of this from a wife that told me to “be nice” about how I went about negotiating a better price on her ’06 Sonata trade, even if it would cost us a few more bucks, as we were driving to Ohio to get the Genny in March of ’09.

FWIW, Genny’s are a dime a dozen in Florida; at least they are in the Delray Beach area. I don’t think I saw less than two in any parking lot aisle I was in and I didn’t have to look hard to find those. Here in the Burgh area, they’re kinda elite beasts.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I'm so sorry about the death of your brother.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    LOL! Didn't you love it when they called them "world champions"? I don't remember either team playing any other countries for the title. :D

Richard
    I wondered if something was wrong. We had missed you. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. His wife is very fortunate to have you as her BIL. I know that you will help her if she needs advice.

Richard
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    GG - I don't recall, but what were your final thoughts on that TL? Did you like it, not like it, trade it out of boredom, etc?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I took the plunge and switched from DSL to FIOS Voice and Internet 15/5 Mbps download/upload speeds. But so far I am underwhelmed.

15/5 Mbps download/upload is not particularly fast, specially considering you have fiber. Do they offer faster speeds?

I have 50/20 Mbps from my cable company using coax cable.
    Sorry to hear about your brother.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    jmonroe,
    Sorry about your brother, that has to be upsetting.
    Hopefully he was able to enjoy a good portion of his life after the transplant.
    Just shooting from the hip, but wasn't the first transplant done around 1967 or so? To me, it's amazing that it could even be done.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited February 2013
    How the hell was I going to get a car with a blown engine down to Florida

Very sorry to hear that you lost your brother.........it must be very difficult losing a brother or sister.

-----------------------------------------------

There seems to be good deals on cars in Florida but I don't know if it is mostly hype. Like ads that show a very low price, but then the fine print says "with your $4000 trade in". To me, that is deceptive...why would you even do that.

Also, very high dealer prep costs in Florida...$600 or $700 is common. Some dealers don't charge dealer prep, but it probably gets added in somewhere...less discount. There are large volume dealers who do seem to have low prices.

There are more Gennies down here than most places. Retired people here like getting a car that is fully loaded at a reasonable price. This is the land of the Grand Marquis...lots of car for the $$$$$.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Sorry to hear about your brother. We lost my wife's father just a few months ago and he was only 58. It's not easy. My condolences.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it

Nice review of the A6, enjoyed reading your thoughts about these cars. One reason they gave us a good deal on the A4 was they hoped when it was time for me to trade in the 535 they could convert me to an A6.

I have sat but not driven an A6 but I like the feeling of the 535 more. It's a very personal difference, the 535 seems to have bigger windows, better vision. Audi has nicer interior and seats. I would have to drive them both to really decide. But, the 5er is just one year old, so it might be awhile before I have to decide...maybe I'll test an ATS too!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    It’s a long story and not pleasant...

Please accept my sincerest and heartfelt condolences re: you brother. Quite a shock, I would imagine. If you look at this tragedy from a slightly different perspective, the loss may be muted a bit - 25 years ago, if your brother had a the same condition, he would have had a very low chance of surviving 3 years - but because of modern miracles, you had your brother many more years. May The Lord bless you, your brother's family and his spirit!

FWIW, Genny’s are a dime a dozen in Florida; at least they are in the Delray Beach area. I don’t think I saw less than two in any parking lot aisle I was in and I didn’t have to look hard to find those. Here in the Burgh area, they’re kinda elite beasts.

Actually, the south Florida market is the largest market for Huyandi. Specifically, the Sonata and Genesis. I see more of them here than any other make, including Toyota, Volkswagon and Chevrolet.

2021 Genesis G90

Last Wednesday, on my way to take Dad for our morning walk, I lost my balance and went down the concrete stairs head first. Ambulance took me to the emergency room and I was admitted with:

Torn rotator cuff of my right shoulder
    Protruded disc at L3/L4 vertebrae
    Bruised neck - left side
    Concussion on back/right side of head

The EMT's told me that I was lucky to be alive. So what little posting I did over the last week was done from a hospital bed. Yes, The Lord was with me that day, for sure!

Now I have to go for outpatient physical therapy. Sure is good to be home.

2021 Genesis G90

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Oye! Mike! That's quite a spill you took. I wish you a speedy recovery & am glad you are OK.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Oh no, Mike. As bad as those injuries are, glad that, as the paramedic said, it wasn't worse.

Pretty impressive that we didn't even notice your posting volume go down.
    edited February 2013
    Pretty impressive that we didn't even notice your posting volume go down.

Now that's what I call a blow below the waist! Guess my posts aren't as interesting as the others.

I'll work hard to improve the quality of my post - I promise!

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe...so sorry about your brother. My condolences.

ti....still feel the TL SH AWD is the best near lux sports sedan for the money. The Germans are better. But, you'll pay a significant amount to make that leap from the TL. Have said it before, I must be the only person on the planet that liked the TL's current styling. But, I do. It's getting a little long in the tooth. And, Acura is falling behind a bit on MPG and tech (which is really unusual for Acura). So, the new TL/RL can't come quick enough.

But, you drive a TL and then jump in a 3 series or Audi, and the differences are immediately apparent. But, in some instances, the TL is close to the BMW or Audi. In other areas, the differences are pretty significant. You pay for those, however.

driver...although we're talking about $50K+ cars in the 5 series or an A6, I think in that price range, they represent the very summit of "luxury sports sedan". A6 can be bought low $50s (discounted) with a supercharged V6, with 8 speed trans, and all the tech you could possibly want.

535i is going to hit the $60K+ mark for essentially the same perforamance and tech. Audi is quickly becoming my personal darling. I like the brand's tilt towards handling and performance first with luxury serving the sport aspect of the cars.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    I just ran it, and my laptop through the wireless came up as 18.5/10.5. That is with Comcast cable coming in. So seems more than fast enough for doing this!

our TV has built in wireless, and streaming netflix though it is just like watching real TV to me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Mike, glad you made it to a hospital quickly. Lets hope nothing else appears.

My mom (85 yrs old) fell just before Christmas banging her head on a chair.

After diagnosing a slight stroke (inoperable) she's almost as good as before with a lot of help from Amedisis (medicare provided RN, LPN, Phys Ther, etc) who have been a lifesaver for us. We had no idea what to do until they arrived. We couldn't even get her down the steps to go to the doctor. She now has a clean bill of health and a wheelchair and walker just to avoid any further falls.

I'm only 62, but very cautious of ICE, STEPS and WET surfaces as I fell on my butt on ice on the front steps shortly after moving here. We're getting a wheelchair ramp and new front porch put in to the tune of $11k and a new accessible shower for the master bath for another $4k. If mom doesn't use it I will in time. (only I'll need a power chair with feel of the carpet and leather).

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

like this one? There is another cartoon that is better but I can't seem to find it...

though this one could be good for the snow.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Wow, that's way better than my Polaris quad.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    Yes, sorry to hear about your brother.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I know you are an audiophile. I'm not sure which radio your wife's 328i has, but my car has the base stereo & it is sort of on the weak side.

Ever since I assembled a decent home system I've been less critical of my cars' audio. My wife's car has what BMW calls the "Hi Fi" speaker system, which gets you the door-mounted tweeters in the A pillars. Not anywhere near great, but tolerable.
    Funny thing; I installed an Alpine AM/FM/CD/SiriusXM head unit in the '02 and replaced the crappy Rat Shack surface mount speakers with Pioneer TS-X200 surface mounts and it sounds remarkably good. Add a decent small sub and it would sound phenomenal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I had about 3 weeks of PT when my back acted up. A good Therapist can make a huge difference in both comfort and mobility.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited February 2013
    Have a new job as a vehicle transporter for a local company with Hertz, Dollar, Sixt and Fox(local outfit) as it's main clients and it's been pretty hectic. Done 2 trips from Miami to Tampa and did a Miami to Ft. Myers run today. Plus I've done some local runs and within the Ft. Lauderdale airport moving of vehicles. Even went to the Manheim Ft. Lauderdale Auction site yesterday. Have driven numerous vehicles and it seems to be the perfect gig for a retired gent like myself. Sometimes the hours have been long and we don't always know the day before about the schedule...most work comes within 2 hours of when the crew chief calls us so flexibility and a texting cell phone are a must. I am an independent contractor but luckily since my wife is a CPA, she's already informed me what I'll need come tax time next year.
    So far though...I'm having a blast. I've started "The Sandman Chronicles" over in the Chronic Buyers forum, just my observations about the different vehicles I get to drive. I feel like I've died and gone to automobile heaven!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Ambulance took me to the emergency room and I was admitted

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Mike. Life gets so fragile as we get older....accidents can happen so easily.

I understand a torn rotor cuff is a very painful injury, not to minimize the others which sound pretty serious too.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Audi is quickly becoming my personal darling. I like the brand's tilt towards handling and performance first with luxury serving the sport aspect of the cars.

I would say the same. Audi is making cars the way BMW did 10 or 20 years ago. I am hoping they don't follow BMW and try to gouge consumers with a pile of options, and that they don't try to Buickize the handling and driving to suit American tastes.

If an A6 is several $1000 less than a 5 Series it will be well worth looking at. The A4 was about $11K less than a comparable 328, and we liked it more!

. Have driven numerous vehicles and it seems to be the perfect gig for a retired gent like myself.

Sounds like fun. There are some jobs that suit retired people perfectly, and that seems to be one of them. The guys who drive the courtesy cars at the dealerships seem to enjoy their work too. One fellow I know drives cars from the dealership to the car auction.

Better than being a Walmart greeter!

Last Wednesday, on my way to take Dad for our morning walk, I lost my balance and went down the concrete stairs head first.

Mike, you are one lucky guy and we’re all glad you’ll be OK.

Thankfully you have a hard head. :)

jmonroe

Have a new job as a vehicle transporter for a local company with Hertz, Dollar, Sixt and Fox(local outfit) as it's main clients and it's been pretty hectic.

I never heard of Fox either until my two sons and nephew rented a Malibu from them when they were in south Florida a few weeks ago due to my brother’s death. The car was almost new. It had something like 844 miles on it when they got it. The cost was just a little over $100 all in for a week (typical Florida rental color of White).

Good luck with your new adventure. If Mrs. Sandman is anything like Mrs. j she’s probably glad you’re out of the house.

jmonroe

abacomike....so sorry to hear of your mishap. Please get well soon.

sandman....cool job. I'll have to go over to the "Chronic...." thread and check out your posts.

I'm thinking I'd love a job like that.

Not often, but sometimes my work does take me to more interesting places than Poukipsee (sp?). Looking like I'm working in Milan, Italy for a week or so come the first of March. :)
    Mike, I am so very sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that your therapy goes well. I can well imagine how good it feels to be at home now. You are such a trooper. Your plate stays so full but, like the energizer bunny, you just keep on going. What about your dad? Do you have some temporary help? You can't very well take care of yourself and him, too. As I have said before, it's time to think about you. Do take care of yourself. You're on my prayer list.

Richard
    Congrats on that new job, or should I say wonderful hobby? Not only is it fun, but it keeps you young and active. Enjoy!

Richard
    edited February 2013
    Now that's what I call a blow below the waist! Guess my posts aren't as interesting as the others.

I'll work hard to improve the quality of my post - I promise!

I was (and still am) pretty impressive that with the extent of injuries you had, you continued to post. I didn't notice a drop in quantity.

There was no need to say anything about quality. Your posts are always good.
    The cost was just a little over $100 all in for a week (

Florida car rental rates are good, but, I don't think they are that good. I did get a special, 3 week rate of $480 for a Fusion, but even that was spectacular.

Was that a misprint? I just checked renting a Malibu in Tampa on Hertz and it was $484 a week. Did he rent it from Bob? A Boblibu?

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    jmonroe - my sympathies. I can't imagine losing a brother. I probably won't have to as they are healthy as horses - I'm the one with everything but you never know. Anti-rejection are so huge. That's why they did my transplant the way they did (with a heart they had no choice on your brother). Before giving me the stem cells they removed all the donor's t cells so I would have to grow my own. It takes a year or more but no rejection issues. Stay tuned.

Mike - Oy! I have a rotator cuff strain and am going through PT on it. They keep saying "you're lucky it isn't a tear. I can only imagine. Get well, my friend.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited February 2013
    The EMT's told me that I was lucky to be alive.

Mike, so sorry to hear of your unfortunate fall and resulting injuries. Sounds painful but with time you will be as good as new. Meanwhile, I hope your father was not traumatized by the experience as you are his primary caregiver.

Don't know if you are able to drive yet. If not, I would be happy to take care of the MB E350 while you recuperate. Just send me the keys and I will take of the rest.

Stay Blessed
    edited February 2013
    I was (and still am) pretty impressive that with the extent of injuries you had, you continued to post. I didn't notice a drop in quantity.

You would be amazed at what you can do under the influence of Demerol! Each day, a new pain surfaces somewhere in my body. Right now, the most pain comes from my back and my right shoulder rotator cuff.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2013
    Was that a misprint? I just checked renting a Malibu in Tampa on Hertz and it was $484 a week. Did he rent it from Bob? A Boblibu?

A little over $100 for the week was not a misprint. The Malbu was rented from Fox the second week of January 2013. They are located off-site from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

In May 2011 when my brother and I, who lives in the adjoining community to me, visited our now departed brother, he got a 2011 Impala for $118 all in for a week from Alamo who is located on-site at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. So, I have no reason to doubt that a Malibu a few weeks ago from a lesser name rental company (Fox) off-site from the airport was not just as my sons told me it was.

jmonroe

edited February 2013
    Don't know if you are able to drive yet. If not, I would be happy to take care of the MB E350 while you recuperate. Just send me the keys and I will take of the rest.

Keep your cotton pickin' hands off my Mercedes! Besides, I'm the only one my car will put up with!

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited February 2013
    I just ran it, and my laptop through the wireless came up as 18.5/10.5. That is with Comcast cable coming in. So seems more than fast enough for doing this!

That seems slow. I have no problem hitting 49-50 Mbps on Comcast.

J, very sorry for your loss.

Mike, you can't catch a break man. Hope you heal up quickly!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    When I had a severe kidney stone attack a few years ago they gave me a few pain meds that didn't work. Then they dosed me with demerol -- my wife asked if it helped. I didn't reply because I was sitting on a chair drooling with my tongue hanging out pain free.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Hang in there buddy. Us old guys have to be careful with those stairs. Get better soon.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    jmonroe, I just read about your brother and I am so sorry. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...Fezo or old farmer..."

Not me. I spent super bowl Sunday dealing with a sewer failure that I find will cost me $6k to fix.

Cut my throat, maybe but not the power. :(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

A little over $100 for the week was not a misprint. The Malbu was rented from Fox

That is an incredible price! I don't know how they make a profit at that rate, unless people buy all the extras...insurance, their gas, etc.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I've rented for a week in San Diego, Phoenix, Sarasota, etc, etc, etc.. Almost always for $130 in total, or less...

Just need to learn to work the websites... I have my best luck with Alamo and National...

Leased an 8-passenger 4WD Expedition EL in Denver for under $250, during ski season!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.