Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Every now and again I wonder how the buyers are enjoying it,

Not a good idea to go back and look at a house you once owned. btw...that looks like a gorgeous house and 6 bathrooms!

We had a home and the livingroom dining room were made from a 150 year old log farm house. The rest of the house was all designed by my wife. I should mention, builders aren't the smartest, they do things like put electrical outlets in the wrong places, and put the central vac behine a door or something so you have to close the door to use it.

I digress, the point is we sold it to some people who wanted to use a beautiful house as a farm. There were 100 acres, and they had animals and they put fish in the pond. But, when we went back to see the new owners two years later the house was a mess. The 3 car garage was filled with junk, there were cars parked all over the front lawn, there were boxes and crates all over the front walk, the new owners never took their boots off so there was mud all over the floors inside. Total chaos and a mess inside. My wife cried on the way home, we should never have gone back.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    I found a light switch and didn't know what it was for.

When Son #2 moved into his house there was a stack switch with a red indicating light that was mounted above the toilet in the master bath. Neither of us had a clue what it was for and got tired looking for what it controlled. One day when he ask me to help him put in a pull down stairs to make it easier to get into the attic, I went over to the area where the switch was. Bingo, it was a switch to control a heater wire that was laid in the rear gutter. He asked if he should turn it on the following winter. I told him to turn it on when it got cold and to turn it off the following spring but not to be surprised when it fails one day because they don’t last forever and it might even short out and trip the breaker. It’s about 10 years now and it works just fine. He’s never had any ice buildup.

It would have been nice if the previous owner told him what it was for. :(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Oh, the house was always built with the plan to live in it short-term (just to get it all spiffed-up and staged) and then sell it for a profit, which is what happened, so I don't have any particular emotional attachment to the house as a "home". My only attachment to the house was in trying to design something and choose finish and fixtures that would be (quickly) appealing to a buyer, so it was more about pride-in-work-product than any memories.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    The most we have are 3 in one bank.

The light bulb just lit up here. I have area lighting in the driveway that is controlled by a switch in the garage. I always wanted to be able to control it from the front door as well. The wireless remote switches are limited to (I think) 250 watts as I've used them before and burned them out. LED is the answer. Brilliant. I have a pair of LED floods (30 watt) that put out as much as a pair of 300 watt halogen lights that are there now. Where's that electrician?

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Tyguy, enjoy building your new home.
    We have built a couple and one thing that was really nice with the second one, was a building schedule.
    That let us know if the house was ahead, on time, or behind.
    I still had to keep close track of progress to avoid some shoddy contractor work a few times.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    I should mention, builders aren't the smartest, they do things like put electrical outlets in the wrong places, and put the central vac behine a door or something so you have to close the door to use it.

The builder we had in SC wasn’t that bad but as good as he was and he was damn near exceptional with the quality of the construction part of a house he didn’t think outside the box very much. What he did he did very well but what he did today was like what he did last week and that was like how he did it the year before.

I’ll give you an example:

When I decided to make the island in the kitchen larger but I wasn’t sure how much larger and it was getting to the point where I had to give the builder my size so he could place the order with the cabinet builder I went over to the house early one Saturday morning to get a final dimension. It suddenly stuck me that if the wall behind the refrigerator was pushed back about 6 inches the front of the refrigerator would sit flush with the front of the counter top and there would be plenty of clearance for the one piece refrigerator door. Neither of us wanted a side by side style but that would have easily worked because of the smaller door size. I know I’m talking just inches here but that’s how I do things. The wall behind the refrigerator was a wall that was in a small closet space that was partly under the steps and was a storage spot for brooms and such. So, I ripped out the drywall and framing and as I’m about to start reframing, the builder stops over to check progress. When he see’s what I did he almost freaks out and said, “what the hell are you doing to my house”? :confuse: I said, “Pete it’s my house, remember”. I then explained to him why I was doing it and he said, “That’s not a bad idea. I think I’ll do that on the house over in North Augusta”. I stated to look around for a few pieces of scrap 2x4’s and he said, “leave it. I’ll have one of my guys do that and redo the drywall too. Thanks for the idea”.

As good as they may be they don’t always see it like the home owner does.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Tyguy, enjoy building your new home.

Ditto! We finished out a home that was under construction and remodeled much of our current home. We don't ever plan to move- unless someone offers us an obscene amount of money for the farm...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited March 2013
    Still working my rental gig and having a blast though the co-workers aren't the best I've ever had. Haven't been back to Tampa for a good month with Ft. Myers being the destination of choice lately...a much easier ride back to Miami to. Did a Key West run on Monday at 4 p m after having already done two West Palm to Miami runs. Cars going down and minivans going back to MIA. Got done about 11:00 which wasn't too bad. Once we pulled in, the vans were waiting in a row and we got into them and left...about a 3 minute lag time from arrival to departure. The speed drops to 35 at certain parts of US 1 at night but the traffic was pretty light so I just set the cruise and went on my merry way. There were cops all over the place going down when I could see them so didn't want to take a chance when I couldn't see jack. The other crew boss called me at 6:55 tonight about doing a late run in the tri-county area but with dinner on the stove and clothes in the dryer, I had to decline this time but let him know that any other time, I'd be happy to pitch in on his team. No word on tomorrow but I suspect I'm going to get an early text about working.

No word on the Hertz position yet but I think they saw my age and just passed on me...this is my gut talking and suspect I'm right. They really want a younger man for this work I suspect so they ignore the application hoping I won't follow through but my buddy at work has their number and knows the guy so that's my next step. But once they see my cane if they do give me an interview will again be the kiss of death, again my gut talking here. I am capable of doing this kind of work but my cane scares off potential employers as they see me as damaged goods and therefore an unreliable employee which isn't the case here...my passion for doing the work I am doing has resulted in me not having a sick call out yet. Luckily the days that I've been off is when I've had my bad spasms...someone is looking down on me and watching over me. So I will make a great employee but all I need is a chance to prove my value...someone needs to open the door for me and I'll take it from there.

And now that the wife lost her main income job, we do need the $ so I'm glad for whatever work I get thrown my way. Let my boss know this fact, not the other folks as the dynamic among my co-workers is really poor except two cool people, and he's kept his mouth shut and has been giving me work which I really appreciate. He knows that under most circumstances and 99% of the time, I'll be able to drop whatever I'm doing and drive and I'll go anywhere he needs me to go. We lost one nice team member, the guy who the first few days took me under his wing and waited till I was behind him on all our runs. I feel bad that he's no longer on our team but his personal commitments were too much to continue to work. A real nice guy whom I won't forget...the wife is even doing his taxes and I've asked her to give him just a nominal fee as he really can't afford much. She said no problem and is charging him a small fraction of her already reasonable fees. I know he's grateful and i just feel like he needs a break right now as it's the right thing to do and the wife agrees.

So let's hope I get a text in the morning and will get up at 6 or so and shower and eat. And if not, I'll be ready for the day a bit early but again, my gut is telling me that we're going somewhere in the a m.

The Insomniatic Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The wall behind the refrigerator was a wall that was in a small closet space that was partly under the steps and was a storage spot

That's the main thing, builders are seldom creative. A few are, and they will come up with great ways to make things better. We have a guy like that, he can do anything, but, he is always busy.

Good thing you didn't hire this guy to do your renovations:

I got a call yesterday to see if we wanted to renew Sirius radio on the Florida Passat, it came with 3 months for free.
    I think the lady who called was in India, and it was a great offer. One year if I did this immediately over the phone for $50!
    I said we only use the car for 4 or 5 months of the year, so it isn't really worth it to me, but it is a good offer. She said, we could put it on hold when we aren't there.
    It is kind of tempting, but, there are good AM/FM stations in the Tampa area. My wife uses the car to go 15 minutes to the gym or something. The most that car will do is 4000 miles a year, and my wife doesn't need a radio that much, just news all day long. At home she listens to the 24 hour news radio station...mainly for the stock market reports every 15 minutes.

I say, you hear the same news over and over again every 15 minutes, I can't handle that much news.

I declined Sirius, though I'd sure like to get it for $50 a year in the 535. I think the rates for Sirius may have to come down, there are just too many alternatives.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2013
    I've toyed with the idea of selling and building something else, again.

Mine is a custom home (or as custom as they can get without making a house look silly). But now, I'm a true empty nester. It's just me. Son is out and on his own. No other person traipsing around the house except me.

Kirstie, while my home is about 1/2 the size of the one in your link (~3000 sq ft), I'm finding it way too much for what I need. I have a pool and hot tub area that gets used less and less every year. I spend more time with upkeep than I do using either.

Yard work, while a nice respite on occasion, isn't as enjoyable as it once was.

I know what I have, though. The home theater was all my doing, and I'm proud of the effort I put into it. Still, aside from tweaking here and there, swapping out hardware every once in awhile, I'm now to the point that I just enjoy it, rather than wanting to tackle doing it again.

If someone would come up to me, give me market value, and throw in a clause stating that all my belongings would be moved and set up in a new, smaller place (1/2 the size of what I have now), while I'm gone on vacation for two weeks, as part of the deal, I'd most likely do it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Are you going to write that on a sign and put it in your car window?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I got a call yesterday to see if we wanted to renew Sirius radio on the Florida Passat, it came with 3 months for free.

*driver, I cancelled my Sirius radio, weather and traffic services last month, not because I am expecting to get a new car, but because it is not worth $10.00 a month for music and $15.00 a month for traffic and weather. All my favorite music is on my iPhone (230 songs) and I have an MP3 DVD with those same songs. I would only listen to Channel 17 anyway. I also have 14 FM stations here in South Florida that broadcast in digital HD. So why should I pay for something I don't use?

If I frequently traveled throughout the state or out of state in my car, I might consider it. But it makes no sense considering the small amount of driving I do.

I don't drive during rush hours, so traffic info on my NAV map is not a necessity.

The quality of sound from SAT radio is no where near the quality from HD radio or an MP3 or CD. There was a time before MP3 and iPod's and smart phones with Bluetooth capabilities when SAT radio was a nice feature. But because of the variety and quantity of audio sources now available, SAT radio is no longer a feature I can appreciate.

There was a time when there was some competition in SAT radio prior to the merger of Sirius/XM. But due to a lack of competition, they can charge pretty much what they want.

I got s call from Sirius on Monday offering me Traffic, Weather and 160 Channels of Audio for $150 a year. That's a great price, but why get something I just don't need or use.

2021 Genesis G90

edited March 2013
    All my favorite music is on my iPhone (230 songs)

I basically agree, but it would be worth a certain amount to me. I mostly listen to Sirius 17 too, but then beginning in November they start with Xmas carols (ok up to a point but this is Mr Grumpy after all). I guess 17 is a weak channel for them. I find that makes no sense-I don't get my favorite channel 20% of the year. Then I have to go to 50s, and every 4th song is Chuck Berry or Little Richard, niether which I like. I sometimes try channel 6 but then I get songs I couldn't stand, like Mr Tambourine Man, or Air Supply.

My Memory Stick has 452 songs. They are songs I chose so I really like those. I made a same SD Card and I can play those on this Mendolson 7 MP3 Rechargeable Player that has AM/FM and cost $35, from Amazon.com. It has actual speakers and the sound is unbelievable, sounds almost as good as a Bose radio.

For the time we are in the Passat Sirius just doesn't make sense, even for $50. But, for my car, it is worth under $100 a year to get continuous music on weekends or long trips, and to check in to see if Howard Stern has someone interesting on. He isn't everyone's thing, but the guy is brilliant, and he does some interesting interviews.

It isn't for every one, but Sirius is worth 30 cents a day to me......but, technology is moving rapidly and I won't knowingly be investing in satelite radio.

We were averaging 70 posts a day, yesterday just 5. Where is everyone, shovelling out their snow? JMonroe, are you finally waxing your car....I don't think you have done that for a long time.
    Richard went back to work. Mike is anxiously waiting for the 2014 MB to come in which he wasn't really thinking he would buy, GG is rolling around in his huge house, tyguy is looking at materials for the new house, the sandman is driving cars all over Florida, Verdugo is off in the Canary islands or somewhere, Explorer is getting the Fusion ready to take out of the drive when the weather clears up, houdini must have found another hot discussion, stick is figuring out what he can renovate in his house, mako is going to see if he can trade the Mustang even for a new truck....................................

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    edited March 2013
    I'm here. I wish I was in the Canary Islands again. Lots of early (6AM) and late meetings (7PM.)

Took the Wrangler in for an oil change ($19 coupon from the dealer. Can't beat that.) They had a 2013 Grand Cherokee SRT (the "sport" version.) It's not for me, and that was before I saw the sticker price ... $68,000!

It was special ordered for somebody (Window sticker said "Built specially for ....") Wonder what happened that he didn't end up getting it.
    A fellow who plays tennis just got a new Suburu Crosstrek and he metined it had a CVT transmission. I was looking up info to see what exactly a CVT transmission is, and how it works. Seems it is a good thing, but, it has some negative features for some people.

If ound the history of CVTs interesting......some things aren't as new as they seem.

Leonardo DaVinci sketched the first CVT in 1490. Dutch automaker DAF first started using CVTs in their cars in the late 1950s, but technology limitations made CVTs unsuitable for engines with more than around 100 horsepower. In the late 80s and early 90s, Subaru offered a CVT in their Justy mini-car, while Honda used one in the high-mileage Honda Civic HX of the late 90s. Improved CVTs capable of handling more powerful engines were developed in the late 90s and 2000s, and CVTs can now be found in cars from Nissan, Audi, Honda, Ford, GM, and other automakers.

The article explains things well, if you want to read it:
    http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/CVT.htm

013 Grand Cherokee SRT (the "sport" version.) It's not for me, and that was before I saw the sticker price ... $68,000!

Edmunds compares the Cherokee SRT to the Porcshe Cayenne GT which is over $70K. The Jeep seems to be faster, if that means anything.

I didn't read the full article, but, I was shocked to see a Jeep could be almost $70K, but, it is one of the fastest vehicles around, and has 470 horses.
    Compare Jeep SRT and Cayenne GT

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Took a 1500 mile road trip in the new LaCrosse. MPG in the high 20's and the seats and legroom made back problems for me and my wife and I a non issue. Could use a bit more room for my left foot but everything else was great. Smooth, and super quiet. No wind or tire noise.
    It's amazing how less fatiguing a long trip is in a large quiet cruiser with great seats. The Prius would have saved me $200 for the trip but the pleasant luxurious nature of the Buick was worth it.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited March 2013
    Biggest advantage of CVT is its alleged ability to stay in perfect powerband during acceleration and cruising. However, early implementations used belts, which tended to break (longevity) and not withstand large torque outputs (power). It ended up in small engined cars and made them whiney. The benefit of the powerband was lost due to hydrokinetic transmission (torque converter) inefficiency (large internal losses) in comparison to traditional manual transmission used in small cars. In the US, I believe it was Audi who brought first semi-decent CVT to the market to an adult-size car and engine (then A4 1.8T CVT). They replaced belt with chain and obviously fixed other issues. I don't think the car sold so well, as it was FWD only and multigear transmissions seemed to have taken over in German cars. Nissan is probably now most prolific user of CVT - they have it across the models. Subaru adopted it to their base engine, too. They also seem to be very popular in hybrids - almost all of them have it.

I drove Subaru's CVT - it was not mindblowing, but it did not offend me, either. Just OK.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

The Prius would have saved me $200 for the trip but the pleasant luxurious nature of the Buick was worth it.

That is an important consideration. It is great to get good mileage but is it worth it if the trip is going to be uncomfortable, and you don't feel very good when you get to where you are going.

I thought about that on the Florida trip, 1200 miles in 2 days. I sometimes think, do I really need the larger 535 or could I be just as happy with a 335 or A4......I think it would be OK in theory but I think it is much more pleasant driving the larger car on a long trip.

btw...my mileage was 26 mpg.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    My kid has it on her '09 hatch and it really is very good but it does take a few drives to get used to. I like it now and learned that one can't just floor it because it's gonna do what it's gonna do. Still prefer the traditional slushbox and lately, I've driven so many. Some are worse than others I've found, and the larger vehicles seem to have smoother units. Almost got a Buick Lacrosse yesterday but this other lady kinda bumped me away from it, I work with some real crazies! Was a white one and looked very nice but big. Haven't seen to many Verano's lately and that's the puppy I really want to try so I can compare it to my Civic.

Haven't done any Tampa trips all month for some reason, ditto with Orlando. Lately they've been Ft. Myers to Miami or West Palm to Miami, yesterday we had four of them with the last at 7 p m. We were on the way home & got a call for one more run which we all agreed to, $25 is still $25 and we were already on the road. Long day but no work today at this point, though the text said that we'd probably have work at 3 or 4 this afternoon. Told the boss I'm game for whatever time he needs me. Drove Hyundai's yesterday for three of the four trips and a Malibu on the 4th one. Chevy did a good job on that vehicle though it is the perfect rental unit. Liked the Passat I had last weekend but found the Jetta to be a better road car though most would disagree here. I prefer the smaller sized vehicle and it scoots better. The sleeper vehicles are the Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Avenger folks...comfortable with wonderfully smooth power plants...I run to get one of these puppies whenever I see one and like the 18" tired ones for the SAT radio...the units with the 17"ers drive just the same though so I use my iPod. Purchased a cheap aux cable at Radio Shack and it works in every vehicle so far. Also have a few cd's just in case.

Drove another Kia Soul the other day and it's really a fun vehicle with a great seating position. Surprised they don't sell more of these actually, the Optima is also a real sleeper and I think it bests the Camry in every way. Hyundai/Kia is really the up and coming car company and getting better all the time and the value/dollar equation is right up their with the top tier players in my opinion!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That's about the size we're at now - 3,000 sf. It's the last large home we'll ever own. We had planned on downsizing during this move, but upsized instead. Our kids are still young enough to float in and out, and we like having the space for them when they're here for a few days. Plus, we'll be the ones hosting family holiday dinners. Somewhere between 5 and 10 years from now, we'll find ourselves in your position, and it'll be more house than we want to maintain.

Building was fun, but next time we'll be looking at 1600 sf-ish, on one level, and it should be easy to find something suitable that's already built. Sounds kind of like what you're looking for. Oh, and after this last move that took 2 27-ft moving trucks and a month of packing prior to the move, we both agreed that the next move will involve a BIG auction.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    I tested an outback/legacy last year, and did not mind the CVT. not sure if that would have changed with more and varied driving. I know my wife never would have noticed the difference.

We are getting ready for the first big road trip with out RDX (so far the biggest drive was about 250 miles). Going on a tour of southern colleges. Biggest 1 day will be about 7-8 hours to NC then shorter stints city-hopping back home.

Will be a good test of over the road comfort and MPG. and will see how the biggest flaw with this design works out (a too small gas tank for its real world MPG). pretty sure on a longer trip it will mean an extra gas stop or 2 in the middle of a leg, something I am not really used to.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Biggest advantage of CVT is its alleged ability to stay in perfect powerband during acceleration and cruising.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. You do really well explaining technical issues for us laymen.

It seems some people miss the noise of the gears shifting...it seems odd having a whiny engine. I think that would bother me. I like to hear the gear shifts.

I have read a few reviews of the new Lexus IS250 and 350. They actually have a sound generator to produce a pleasing engine noise.

my youngest is going to college in another year, and I am already working on convincing the wife to downsize. ~2000-2200 SF seems like a good compromise (and about a 1/3 decrease). Will probably take some convincing, since it will involve getting rid of some of her prized crap stuff hoarded junk possessions.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited March 2013
    I have read a few reviews of the new Lexus IS250 and 350. They actually have a sound generator to produce a pleasing engine noise.

The Lexus sound generator is attached to the intake and uses a diaphragm to amplify engine noise. the Mustang GT uses an resonator pipe by the firewall and the Boss 302 has an extra set of exhaust pipes next to the rocker panels.

BMW and VW both use electronic sound generators in a couple of models. Using prerecorded files stored on the sound system, a computer senses throttle position, acceleration, et al and plays the prerecorded sound of the engine.

At least the Lexus and Ford are real exhaust sounds. The latter reminds me on sitting on a trike going "Vroom, Vroom."

Faking It
    BMW and VW both use electronic sound generators in a couple of models.

I am in total shock....I had no idea engine noises are being faked. I looked at the faking it link too.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I guess I like a nice engine sound enough that I would prefer having the sound. I just hope the sound doesn't get stuck and you get full throttle gear shifting sounds when you are parking or something.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    This is first time I've heard of that. I'm pretty sure my engine sound is real, but it's possible, I guess.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    I think you are safe... it's on the new M5, I think...

Sad, really... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I can see sound tubes, generators, resonators - those are all the real sound.

Using a prerecorded sound - NO NO....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Are you guys still loving the Jeep? How many miles do you have on it?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I absolutely LOVE living in a ranch style house (1 floor) with 3 young children. My house is a bit cozy for 5 of us at 1430 square feet, but I've got a 1 acre lot that is flat, and a fully finished basement that runs the length of the entire house. The schools are fantastic where we are and I really can't see moving anytime in the future.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Will probably take some convincing, since it will involve getting rid of some of her prized crap stuff hoarded junk possessions.

The word you're looking for is "treasures". :)

I will have been in my home for 13 years in May. 1615 sq ft, 5000 sq ft lot. Basic tract home. When we moved in the step kids were 12 and 14. Was a bit tight but it's what the budget allowed for. Like ty, we bought it as a dirt lot and picked everything out ourselves - the number of decorating choices were more limited in 2000 than they are today.

Now, only one kid is still at home (she'll be 25 this summer). The house feels a bit bigger but the wife and I have talked about something just a bit larger.

Ranch + 3 bed + 2 bath + den/office + 2 (3?) car garage + basement, around 1900-2200 sq ft would be about right. Oh, and under $250K, please.
    Edmunds compares the Cherokee SRT to the Porcshe Cayenne GT which is over $70K. The Jeep seems to be faster, if that means anything.

I've heard it compared to the BMW X5.

It better be fast because it's not designed for off road.
    sandman,

I enjoy reading about the cars you drive. One question for you, can you explain/elaborate why they do so much moving of cars?

My experience is that one-way rentals are very few.

thanks
    Probably to balance out requirements. If a convention were to come into Orlando, cars get moved there. During the Daytona 500, cars get moved to up there.
    Are you guys still loving the Jeep? How many miles do you have on it?

Yeah. Heading up skiing this weekend. It's supposed to snow while we're there. I can't wait. I'll be taking the snow tires off after that.

We're planning our off road camping trips for the summer.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    It better be fast because it's not designed for off road.

Ruttledge Wood might disagree with you .. he took a Grand Cherokee SRT8 from Pismo Beach to Mammoth Mountain on a recent episode of Top Gear US.
    the other nice thing about a ranch like that (I grew up in that same basic house) is that it is really easy, if you have a large flat back yard, to expand it out the back. A nice great room and expanded kitchen can do wonders to make the house more livable as the kids grow up. And that is the easiest kind of addition.

Michael, that sounds about like what I want to move to. And I would have to build it myself. a 1.5 story I would guess you would call it. a nice open main floor with a big country kitchen/great room, with a study at the front and a master bedroom suite on the first floor. And a finished basement with a bar, etc.

2nd floor will be an open loft area, with 2 bedrooms and a bath for when the kids or guests come to visit.

Ruttledge Wood might disagree with you .. he took a Grand Cherokee SRT8 from Pismo Beach to Mammoth Mountain on a recent episode of Top Gear US.

Just because he did it, doesn't mean it was designed for it.
    one of the car magazines (automobile or C&D) recently had a piece on taking a mini cooper convertible on some road to the top of the world (some mountain) and that was a place it certainly was never meant to go.

• gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    edited March 2013
    There's something to be said for owning a house that's under 2K sq ft that's all on one level. Ours is just a little under (something like 1995 sq ft), which is plenty to clean and maintain for my wife and I. In retrospect, I'd have looked for a house on a smaller lot, but I do like having some distance between us and our neighbors and I would hate to give up the pond in back. Funny thing is, our previous house was around 1600 sq. ft and it always felt small, but I think that was because it had no master, no 2nd bath, a very tiny kitchen and the detached garage was essentially a brothel for brown recluse spiders and scorpions. That circa 1929 house also lacked the open floor plan favored by many buyers these days, but it did exude charm and featured craftsmanship missing in many newer houses including our current one.

Best part of a sub 2K house in the midwest is affordability and financial flexibility. Our mortgage is so damn reasonable and will be paid off in 7 years. Maybe by that point I'll have a car sales story to contribute :cry:

Gogiboy
    I think you are safe... it's on the new M5, I think...

I had that Lexus GS350 last year and it sure sounded a bit too "butch" for a 3.5 liter V-6. I knew they had put audio enhancements on that car. My Mercedes sounds super throaty and there are no enhancements on that car.

I could see them enhancing the engine roar on the F Sport GS350, but to put it on the basic GS350 is a bit too much IMHO. There are many mature drivers down here who have complained about their GS350's being too noisy. There is one parked next to my car and the old geezer complains all the time about his noisy engine. I explained to him that Lexus has an enhancer on the engine to make that throaty sound. He said he tried to get Lexus to take it off, but they refused as it would affect his warranty. That's ridiculous!

Lexus is trying to change its image to attract a younger buyer as opposed to an upper class older driver which was their market niche for many years. Only the ES350 still appeals to the older driver while the rest of their line is definitely aimed at the 20's - 50's.

2021 Genesis G90

I do like having some distance between us and our neighbors

We're on 6 acres and our nearest neighbors are on 10 acres. We had a

tree get hit by lightning closer to their house. A week or so later Fred

asked about what I wanted to do with the tree wood. I looked puzzled

and he said "you don't know you had a tree hit do you?" No I didn't. But

you're welcome to it (they have a wood burning fireplace). Acreage is nice.

Now that I forgot who was asking about LED lights, I found a show.

On This New House which airs on DIY network, the guy shows KW

usage and light output between conventional bulbs and LEDs. Good show.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Reposted from my Facebook page:

"Happy birthday to me! No, not that birthday which is in January from a far distant year. It was one year ago today that I received a bone marrow stem cell transplant. I've made a year - I expect to make many more.

Thanks go to everyone who got me through this. Top guy is the donor who doesn't know me from Adam but now that it's a year I can find out who and where he is and thank him profusely. There are other folks who spent a load of time with me for the four plus months I was in NYC my brothers John, Jim and Jeff, my wife Jennifer, good friens Mary Ledwith and Carol Zsiga and I apologize to a anyone I left out. My brain isn't as young as my blood. Lots of people helped in other ways. Jeff Kase came and spent a weekend as a caregiver despite the fact that until he did that we technically hadn't met. Kevin Keck put in some good time, too.

My brother Jerry could only make it to do caregiver duty the first weekend the doctors allowed me to visit home but I have proof he registered to do that so we give him credit. He also sent me hours (actually days or weeks) of music some of which can be appreciated by human ears mixed with some that make dogs cringe. Everyone who was part of the Friends of Steve LaSala group especially Jim and Teri, Jeff and Mary and all the others who made it possible. Thanks to Skype I was able to see it all despite the event being in Denville while I was in New York.

I've left people out. Please forgive. I'm grateful to every one of you. Can't believe how good it feels to be OK again.

The healing continues - we're not done yet but this is a great day."

A great day indeed.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I've left people out. Please forgive. I'm grateful to every one of you. Can't believe how good it feels to be OK again.

While we're at it, let's all thank THE LORD OUR GOD for giving fezo life for another year!

We are all so very proud of you fezo, and we are also thankful to THE ALL-MIGHTY for letting us have fezo as a friend.

2021 Genesis G90

congratulations. Does this mean you are done with some of the restrictions (food, going out, etc.?)

edited March 2013
    Just got a special email from Mercedes in Sindelfingen, Germany, where the new car is awaiting transport to the exit port for shipment to the United States. Sindelfingen is the city where they produce and assemble the new 2014 E Class Sport and Luxury sedans.

Since my name and other info is on the order form sent to them, they wanted me to know the status of my new car and to thank me for my order.

They wanted to make sure I was not taking European Delivery so they could transport the car to the dock.

Definitely a nice touch!

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.