Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    edited July 2013
    I really don't feel that making a foolish decision with entirely forseeable negative consequences should qualify someone for sympathy or public money, but that's just me.

You could be classified by the Left as any number of bad things. That said, I think you're absolutely right. Similar concepts include:

o Bailing out people who "buy" houses they can't pay for
    o Subsidizing crops that can't be sold on the open market
    o Subsidizing "green" energy schemes that aren't competitive
    o Subsidizing college educations that aren't worth one red cent after graduation

And the beat goes on.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Virginia sales tax just went from 3% to 4% for automobiles.

I'm still looking to get into a F-150 Platinum. Got 3 emails telling me to come in before July 1 when the tax increases to save 200 bucks. I wrote back, I don't care about 200 bucks, I want that 4,000 bucks off when it hits the "been here 180 days" make it gone deal. So far no replies to that. These trucks are right up there in MB range...but they are soooo nice.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    I really don't feel that making a foolish decision with entirely forseeable negative consequences should qualify someone for sympathy or public money

Agree, it is in the same category as people who buy a house near an airport, and then complain about all the noise and pollution from the airplanes.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

These trucks are right up there in MB range

They are beyond some MBs.....I saw one listed for $60K!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,250
    ...it is in the same category as people who buy a house near an airport, and then complain about all the noise

What amazes me is that this is so true! When I lived in Palm Desert, Del Webb was building "Sun City Palm Desert" (I believe that was the name) which was made up of condo's and single family homes in a country club type of setting. It was on the north side of I-10 at or near Washington Street. That entire are was one of the offshoot faults of the San Andreas Fault. They built homes right on top of it.

Now remember, the San Andreas Fault runs for hundreds of miles from Northern California to the Mexican border and beyond. But I guess the soil samples were OK or they could not have built the community there. A good portion of the western Mojave Desert is right on top of that fault.

I lived through 3 major quakes out there - The Landers Quake 7.6 on the Richter scale (epicenter was 22 miles north of us), The big Bear Quake 35 minutes later at 6.5 on the Richter Scales, and the Northridge quake (90 miles away) all within 2 years. The quakes were extremely strong, but because the sandy/grainy earth conditions in the desert make for more of a rolling quake while the Northridge quake which was much further away was actually stronger because of more bedrock.

My point is that people knowingly buy homes in this earthquake zone all the time knowing the dangers. I would still rather live through a strong earthquake than a #5 Tornado or a hurricane, all of which I have experienced. Why? Because in 30 seconds it's all over. No 3-day preparations due to warnings and the anxieties associated with the multitude of tornado warnings in the Midwest. I'll take the earth moving beneath my feet for a few seconds any day!

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    To driver100 and any other friends from the north. Happy 146th.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

To driver100 and any other friends from the north. Happy 146th.

Very nice of you and much appreciated. And a Happy 237th to you too this coming Thursday.

Our birthday is called "Canada Day". Americans and Canadians are very fortunate to live in such great "free" countries.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Our birthday is called "Canada Day". Americans and Canadians are very fortunate to live in such great "free" countries.

Happy Canada Day to our friends up North. Driver do Quebecans Quebecers celebrate Canada Day or is this mostly an English speaking Canadian celebration?

With such vast natural resources I am surprised the US has not attempted to annex Canada. It seems so inconvenient to go through Canada to get to Alaska. I am sure most Canadians wouldn't mind becoming "officially" part of America since they already come and go as they please, unlike our neighbors to the South. Someone once said, the difference between a Canadian and an American is that the one carrying a gun is an American. :)
    do Quebecans Quebecers celebrate Canada Day or is this mostly an English speaking Canadian celebration?

Just my opinion, but most Quebecers would consider themselves to be Canadians and would celebrate Canada Day. There is an element who want to be an independent state and would not want to take part in the celebrations at all. I think they are foolish, there are more advantages to be one strong great democratic country than trying to go it alone.

Trying to be as honest as possible, but to put it nicely, I don't think a huge majority of Canadians would want to be annexed by the US. Not saying one country is better than the other, just that there are differences, and I think we like our country just the way it is....and not being able to carry around a gun is one thing most of us prefer.

I hope most Americans are respectful enough of other countries to not think of annexing a country for it's resources or even thinking another country would automatically want to be annexed by the US. We meet many Americans when we travel to the US and I have never heard those thoughts expressed before...I hope those thoughts are rare. If you love your country you have to be respectful of others and realize people in many other countries may love their country just as much...and they like it just the way it is.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >an American is that the one carrying a gun is an American.

That's an offending stereotype. Sounds like it came from the antigun lobby. :blush: :sick:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    American is that the one carrying a gun is an American.

If you see an American carrying a gun, there is about a 90% chance that he is a criminal. It is almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to carry a gun to protect themselves from the always armed criminals.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Are you a female driver who has trouble finding a good place for her purse in the car? A reporter would like to talk. Please contact [email protected] by July 6, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to carry a gun

You obviously don't live in Virginia.

We have a wonderful group of folks called the Virginia Citizens Defense League.
    They know all the laws and protect us from any Federal laws that may harm us.

Post economic crash I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited July 2013
    I've been away visiting the folks and being a tourist on Cape Cod so please excuse the late reply.

...in large cities like Chongqing where the population is 28 million....that's one city! Population of all of Canada is about 37 million, and that is one city.

For kicks, I looked up Chongqing. Per wiki, the municipality is 280 miles by 250 miles for an area of 81,200 sq miles with a density of 350 people per sq. mile. For comparison: Toronto covers 243 sq miles and density of 10,750 per sq mile.

For comparison, Chongqing is about the same size as Utah!!
    As an interesting aside to Canada Day and the Quebecois - I did business with a couple of companies based in Quebec. Their production workers had Canada Day off while their sales/customer service departments worked and took July 4 off as most of their business was in America.
    edited July 2013
    Are you a female driver who has trouble finding a good place for her purse in the car? A reporter would like to talk. Please contact predmunds.com by July 6, 2013.

I have trouble finding a good place to put gas in my tank, but I aleady found a good place for my purse!!

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    Don't you mean your wallet?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "...my brother had a 93 twin turbo RX-7..."

My brother had an RX-7 in the 80s I think. At about 50k miles the seals went in the engine reducing it basically to junk. I assume they eventually resolved those reliability problems but those rotarys were always gas hogs and I heard they used oil even when new.

I loved the style of the last RX and I hear it handled really well but it was light on hp (225) and $5-10 thousand more than my Eclipse.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

My wife always complains about that.

When we were on our tour we were only told the population of the city of Chongqing. It seemed pretty dense, with huge apartments right next to each other.

I found this information, which says Chongqing does indeed have 32 million people and is the largest city in the world by population,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------

Which is the largest city on the planet, this issue is sometimes the subject of small talk and you may impress, or may not, your audience when you state that this is the city of Chongqing, because most certainly nobody ever had heard of that city.
    Chongqing in southwest China is one of the emerging Megacities with a population of more than 32 million people, sprawled over an area of 82 300 km² (this is larger than the Czech Republic, with 78 867 km²). Chongqing is de facto a Chinese province with the status of a provincial-level municipality like Shanghai, Beijing and Tanjin.
    And this should be the largest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
    You are right, it is a really a province, but technically is a city, and we weren't told that. But, if you bet someone $1000 which city in the world has the largest population - you would probably win.
    What city has the largest population in the world?

With such vast natural resources I am surprised the US has not attempted to annex Canada.

Were you just joking or were you serious? Do you think the US should invade a sovereign country and seize their assets?

It seems so inconvenient to go through Canada to get to Alaska.

US bought Alaska from the Russians. They can go by boat or car on the Alaskan highway. Do you think that entitles you to the land between the two points.

I am sure most Canadians wouldn't mind becoming "officially" part of America

We do come and go. Canadians seldom enter the US illegally to live because it is fine living here. There are some advantages and some disadvantages. Are you assuming everyone in the world wants to be an American? I have a place in both countries, love being in the one I am in at the time, love the differences, love having a friendly democratic country as our neighbor, and hope that both countries prosper and remain among the best places in the world to live.

Are you a female driver who has trouble finding a good place for her purse in the car?

The 535 has mesh carrier on the passenger side of the counsel, if she is driving she puts it on the passenger seat or if it is occupied, wedges it between the seat and the counsel. She only buys pretty small purses though...not those suitcase size ones. Does the reporter want my views on the situation?

Their production workers had Canada Day off while their sales/customer service departments worked and took July 4 off

Of course, I am a Canadian living in Canada, about 50 miles from T.O. (Toronto for those who don't know). I worked for an American company situated at Rockefeller Centre in NYC. Since the US offices were closed on US holidays I celebrated Canadian holidays as I should....but, I also took off on American holidays out of respect for my US employer and friends.

I have trouble finding a good place to put gas in my tank, but I aleady found a good place for my purse!!

Where do you keep your purse?

Saw a Tesla parked on the street yesterday so stopped to take a look. They are absolutely beautiful, and the interior is really nice. I am surprised they can come up with the money to design such a gorgeous vehicle...some people may think it is the nicest looking car around - when larger more established companies can't make a car that beautiful.

edited July 2013
    Were you just joking or were you serious? Do you think the US should invade a sovereign country and seize their assets?

Driver, it was a rhetorical question. However, there is not much difference between the US and Canada except for the metric system. A significant percentage of American automobiles are manufactured in Canada and the economies of both nations are so intertwined that the matter of sovereignty is a mere technicality.

To me, America has more in common with Canada than Canada has in common with England--where technically the queen is the head of State of Canada (I may be wrong on this so I stand corrected.) Speaking of England, why is the queen's picture a fixture on all Canadian currency? Seems like a weird arrangement but apparently Canadians don't mind

HAPPY 4th. EVERYONE! :shades:
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158
    edited July 2013
    I must say that this kind of attitude, call it soft imperialism (we are so awesome, why wouldn't anyone want to submit to our awesome rule and give us their stuff) is responsible for significant portion of today's troubles. Even casual and perhaps well meaning observations, like yours, are most likely be seen as sign of arrogance and lack of basic sensitivity.

The remark about inconvenience to get to Alaska is one that trully struck my nerve. This was exactly one of Hitler'r demand in 1939, for exteritorial highway through Poland to then East Prussia. They could bear the pain, those poor Germans, they had no choice, but to invade Poland and set the world on fire. Similarly, today Russia could reinvade Lithuania for the access to its Kaliningrad district. Would you be cool with that? Since those guys have been once a part of Russian empire (then called USSR), they'd know the drill. No big deal, huh?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

To me, America has more in common with Canada than Canada has in common with England

I am glad your comments weren't to be taken seriously....Dino made some good comments that show a good understanding of how that could sound.

Some people here want to dump the monarchy. The queen is a figurehead for us, she has no real say in anything we do. I would say think of it as tradition,
    look at the great form of governments (democracies) our countries have inherited from the British. It has been said, if you don't know your past you don't have a future. The British have come through a long process and created a wonderful form of government and law - which our countries have benefited from.

We certainly have more in common with the US for trade, culture, etc., but we appreciate and are respectful of the Queen, and for British heritage. And if you have seen a good British movie or have read an good British mystery novel, or have visited London, you will understand that the British have a wonderful very civilized culture, that we can all benefit from.

I think in Canada, we are fortunate, we have the best from the US, Britain, and from Canada....which includes Celine Dion, Justin Beiber, Shania Twain, Pamela Anderson, Michael J Fox, Alanis Morrisette, etc.

btw.....many Americans follow the royal family and like the pomp and ceremony. The queen is on our money but is hard to see on our newest bills. Once again, she is a figurehead, and is a symbol of our heritage, on our money, in the same way George Washington is a symbol of the American tradition.

I think in Canada, we are fortunate, we have the best from the US, Britain, and from Canada....which includes Celine Dion, Justin Beiber...

Your entire argument just went downhill right there.....

:P
    I must say that this kind of attitude, call it soft imperialism (we are so awesome, why wouldn't anyone want to submit to our awesome rule and give us their stuff) is responsible for significant portion of today's troubles. Even casual and perhaps well meaning observations, like yours, are most likely be seen as sign of arrogance and lack of basic sensitivity.

Surprisingly, another poster on this site who hasn't been here for some time now, mentioned if we didn't sell oil and/or water to the US then the US should just come in and take it. I hope I misunderstood what he was saying and I let it pass.

Believe it or not, there are people all over the world who like the country they are in, and they don't want to be annexed or live in the US. Any country, that is a bully and isn't respectful of other countries, is making a big mistake.

When we travel most Canadians wear a Canadian flag pin on them. In most countries, we are treated much better if they know we are Canadians.
    I like Americans and I think I understand the mindset, but, most of the world doesn't and that arrogant attitude is what causes a lot of the negative attitude against the US....not saying it is deserved or not, but, it does exist.

Your entire argument just went downhill right there.....

lol and fell off my chair.

I did add the bieb just to poke fun at ourselves.

Well Celine Dion was part of the joke as well - right??
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    ". Just a quick question, is it waterproof in case of flooding? And, if it is waterproof how do those spiders get inside?"

D--

The steel is welded and they use some kind of wired anode buried outside the unit to keep moisture away and prevent rust. I believe the steel is galvanized and painted with some kind of epoxy. Water can enter from above through the sliding door, but that isn't a concern based on our altitude. It would be pretty dicey if you lived on a flood plain, however. It's not hermetically sealed so bugs can, and do, enter through the sliding door on the garage floor. Not a big deal, it just needs to be swept periodically.

Gogiboy
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    Canada has a very proud and distinguished heritage and you should be proud to be a Canadian...and I am glad to see that you are.

I have no doubt that if the U.S. was invaded by a foreign power, that Canada would come to our aid, just as the U.S. would come to the aid of Canada should Canada be invaded. Good neighbors.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Probably not, unless you've recently become a female driver. But if your wife wants to respond, feel free. Kinda seems like a slow news week question, eh?

(and I knew I could count on Mike for a sassy response :P )

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    The 535 has mesh carrier on the passenger side of the counsel,

That's great. BMW thought of everything. If your purse makes you crash, they included a lawyer to help sue BMW. :P

counsel is not the same as console. Not even with Canadian spelling.
    Well Celine Dion was part of the joke as well - right??

You could include her too, but she played to huge crowds in Vegas, so someone went to see her.

I have no doubt that if the U.S. was invaded by a foreign power, that Canada would come to our aid,

If you watch the excellent movie "Argo" you will see how the people in the Canadian Embassy in Iran got the US hostages out of Iran, at great risk to themselves. The part the Canadians played was much larger than shown in the movie...the movie took some political license.

Part Canadians played in saving American hostages in Iran

I have no doubt that if the U.S. was invaded by a foreign power, that Canada would come to our aid, just as the U.S. would come to the aid of Canada should Canada be invaded. Good neighbors.

Our current Conservative government is a strong supporter of the US, and the Liberals have always supported the US as well. I am not too sure where the socialist New Democratic Party would stand, but the chances of them winning an election are pretty slim. I think they would support the US but I can't speak on their behalf because they get some weird policies at times......like getting more money or taxes from corporations to help the poor. But, then all the corporations leave and no one has jobs....so I don't know what their thinking is on the topic.

Probably not, unless you've recently become a female driver.

Our hospitalization does pay for sex change operations so I'll check into that and then get back to you.

Slow news week is right!

counsel is not the same as console. Not even with Canadian spelling

I hadn't heard from you for awhile and I knew that would might bring you out.

(I knew it was wrong when i spelled it but didn't have time to change it).

I was speaking to a guy today about that Tesla I saw. The car was outside because once a month it has to get updates, so you leave it outside for a few hours. Someone mentioned you could sell cars cheaper if a auto manufacturer owned the retail outlets. That is how Teslas are sold. So much money is made on repairs with most manufacturers. Teslas don't need much...just tires, wiper blades and brakes. The rest can be done by electronics. You don't really need a whole dealer network.

One problem the fellow has with this car is he wants to go from Toronto to Rochester, about 300 miles. That's too far to go there and back so he has to charge it for 3 hours somewhere on the journey. So, he won't take the Tesla on that trip. The new batteries can be charged in 20 minutes, so that might be better.

Oh yes, if things do go wrong, the circuits can be checked and a new replacement snaps in.

I would wait until it gets refined before buying. These current models are like Commodore computers, they have a long ways to go to be acceptable to the masses, especially at $160k

edited July 2013
    Saw a Tesla parked on the street yesterday so stopped to take a look. They are absolutely beautiful...

We were taking our daily walk at Town Center Mall in Boca Raton on Monday morning and were totally taken by surprise. We saw "Tesla" written on the front of a new tenant that is moving in to the vacated Apple Store (Apple moved into a new store three times the size of the old store)! Tesla? So I went over to one of the managers of AT&T (the store next to that vacant store) and asked him what was going in there. He responded that TESLA leased the store and is going to actually have a showroom there to show their models. Usually, the dealerships just lease some space on the walkways - Cadillac, Bentley/Rolls, Toyota, Infiniti, etc. do that - but this will be the first time a manufacturer is leasing a store. It is right across from Macy's and the new Apple Store. Should be interesting to see what the do with the space.

Yes, driver, the Tesla is great looking, but until they produce an electric vehicle with at least a 400 mile range, it won't be on my list to look at when I buy my next car.

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158
    It's not just range, it's also refueling procedure. You need to be able to refuel/recharge in minutes, not hours.

However, Tesla is absolutely fantastic. They are also reportedly challenging current way of doing car business, from sales, to service. Basically they don't want franchise system. No surprise all those "free market" dealership owners are trying to kill it. What's worse, several states seem to agree that free market means free to buy from this guy, but not the other one. What a phoney. I understand direct sale may not work, but it should not be state, who decides which way manufacturer wants to sell and support their product. It basically is the same crap wholesalers and traditional grocers were trying to kill supermarkets in 30s.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

We saw "Tesla" written on the front of a new tenant that is moving in to the vacated Apple Store

There is a rumour (Cdn spelling) that the genius who started Tesla may become the president of Apple, which is struggling without Steve Jobs.

That could be a brilliant play for both companies, esp since Tesla is really more of a computer item, than a mechanical car item. Especially when you see that huge computer monitor on the instrument panel.

It's not just range, it's also refueling procedure. You need to be able to refuel/recharge in minutes, not hours.

I would agree with you, dino! Range is not as important as the ability to recharge fast enough to take a long trip.

Your comments about direct sales vs. franchise is also appropriate. The store they are opening in the mall should prove to be successful because the mall is located in a high socioeconomic area - Boca Raton. If they intend to sell cars, that would be the place to sell them. I don't know where they will build their service facility, however it will be interesting how it will work in. Boca Raton because they do not allow dealerships on the city. So the store will probably be a showroom which will refer customers to Palm Beach where I believe they already have a facility.

It will be exciting to see Tesla succeed on a market that is highly competitive. They have several models. I know their stock has been gaining significantly lately.

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I've owned three RX-7's in the past and I can tell you that they are amazing cars! The power that "beer keg" rotary puts out is amazing!

They aren't for everyone. If they get low on coolant, it'll kill the engine. If you blow a hose you CAN'T drive it to the next shop! You shut it down!!

The weren't great on gas mileage...not horrible and they did use a bit of oil but not enough to get excited about.

When abused or poorly maintained they would punish the owners.

If I could find a pristine 1st or 2nd Gen RX-7, I would be all over it!
    edited July 2013
    I don't know where they will build their service facility,

The Tesla warranty costs $600 a year and it is quite interesting to read. Go to:
    Tesla Motors Warranty

Some hi-lites;
    *They bring a brand new loaded Tesla to your door and they take in your car
    *Loaners are top cars in top shape, you can buy one or trade at any time, they are $1 off per mile driven. If you prefer you can try out the sports model.
    *Even if you don't take car in yearly it is still covered by warranty.
    *Quote from warranty - Unlike gasoline cars, an electric car doesn’t need oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, smog checks, etc., which are only needed if the mode of locomotion involves burning oil derived products. For an electric car, you don’t even need to replace the brake pads, because most of the braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery
    *Read about the battery warranty, they will cover it no matter what happens.

The whole concept is remarkable. Take your car in basically for an alignment and to get software upgrades.

Eventually there will be service centres and they are going to unplug your old battery and exchange it for a fully charged one.

I still wouldn't buy one yet. I wonder if they will have phony exhaust sounds, I still like the sound of a gas burning engine.

edited July 2013
    Eventually there will be service centres and they are going to unplug your old battery and exchange it for a fully charged one.

With respect to range anxiety I wrote this two years ago in a Buick forum:

"cooleydd, ...I agree with you on the buying habits of Americans but not on the range limitations of future Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). Take for example, an American company, in cooperation with the Japanese government and a Japanese taxi company, who designed a “refueling” station for electric cars. The station does not recharge the depleted batteries but instead replace them with a fresh electric battery in one minute and 59 seconds.

Think about that for a moment, in two minutes the old battery can be swapped for a fresh one; in less time than a gasoline fill up. So, any thought of range anxiety or the need to have a second car is eliminated. And guess what? in the process will create millions of new jobs to put this new infrastructure in place.
    Here is a video link of how the system works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lp_6VyIeSY

Update: I read recently that the American company in question pulled out of this venture.
    in the process will create millions of new jobs to put this new infrastructure in place.

Thanks for coming up with that bwia....that was really interesting.

When I was imagining these transfer stations I was thinking they would need an attendant there to watch over things. But, there is a whole garage with a small imprint that can change the battery automatically in a few minutes.

I don't know about creating millions of jobs. It will require people to move batteries around etc., but there will be a lot of gas station personnel looking for jobs too. I guess we will still need people to man the 7/11s, but even that could be automated.

It is a huge job setting up the infrastructure, when oil and gas are already in place, but, like I say, every problem has a solution - the guy who finds it is a genius.

...their plan is to have stores (they work very hard to avoid the dealership word) where prospective buyers are shown the features of the cars and how to order and service centers located nearby convenient to their customers. Due to the franchise laws in many states, you often can't buy a Tesla at the store. You can order it online from Tesla in CA and they then truck it to you. Tesla is opening stores in malls and retail areas because they want people to feel comfortable entering their stores. There is no price haggling, they don't have to inventory to push as all vehicles are built to order and the people in the store are more likely to have retail instead of car sales experience.

Here in MA, they have a store at an upscale mall west of Boston (Natick Mall) and a service center just outside of Boston. An article I read said 300 Teslas are registered in MA. MA is one of the states where you have to order from California.

Mike - Tesla has 3 stores in Flordia. 1 in Dania Beach and two in Miami at the Dadeland Mall and Lincoln Rd and two service centers with 3 more opening soon.

Battery Swap - Tesla demonstrated a battery quick swap technology 2 weeks ago. It's an automated replacement of the batteries that will be located alongside their supercharging stations. It will cost about $60 or so to swap the batteries. You can then return to the station to get your pack back or keep the one you have for a fee as it has a longer warranty. They will be rolling them out along I5 in Los Angeles and Rt 95 between Boston and DC.
    edited July 2013
    Mike - Tesla has 3 stores in Flordia. 1 in Dania Beach and two in Miami at the Dadeland Mall and Lincoln Rd and two service centers with 3 more opening soon.

I did not know they had stores in Dadeland (south Miami, about 60 miles south of me), one in Dania (about 20 miles south of me) and one on Lincoln Road (Miami Beach - about 45 mile south of me).

The one they are opening in Boca Raton will not be able to sell the cars from the store because Boca Raton does not allow new car sales within its city limits (no dealerships anywhere in Boca Raton). The store is supposed to open in 60 days according to The Town Center Information Booth.

It should be interesting when the store opens. We were just talking about manufacturers doing away with dealerships - and now here is one that is starting in business with no franchises and no dealerships. That is the only way to do away with the dealerships and franchises - by not having them at all from the very beginning. I will just wait until all the variables are covered before investing in an all electric vehicle. Then I would begin looking at them seriously.

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.