Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Carmax - What's Your Experience?

Comments

• Options
    usedcarbuyerusedcarbuyer Member Posts: 2
    Is there REALLY NO ROOM for negotiations at CarMax? I have proposed to pay the asking price, but requested that they pay the extended warranty. However, the car is at 29K miles and would have a powertrain until 70K plus the factory warranty to 50K. Am I better off with no warranty at all from CarMax? I use my car for work and rack up lots of miles quickly. My last certified used car with warranty to 100K saved me on numerous occasions. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    basscadetbasscadet Member Posts: 146
    I didn't say it was acceptable, I just said that is the bare minimum to keep your job!

I was selling more than 8 cars a month and I was only working Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Options
    usedcarbuyer,

There really is no room for negotiations. Zero. They have never wavered from that policy. I know it sounds unbelievable, but the software itself makes it impossible to change the price of a vehicle. It simply cannot be done.

Should you get the warranty? Yes. It's peace-of-mind is well worth it unless you are absolutely cash-strapped and can't afford the additional $30 a month or so for the warranty.

I would not get the warranty if you were looking at a Honda or Toyota product, however. As long as you perform the maintenance, you should be good. No guarantees...but I'd take that bet (and I'm not a gambling man).
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    See this is why over all no haggle pricing will never catch on. There are always some people who just think every price is negotiable.

When I ran my shop I always had a few old men, no offense to any of you seniors now just stating the facts as i saw them, who wanted to haggle me on the price of our services.

Usually went something like this.

Customer: I see that transmission service is 74.95 so what will you charge me for it.

Me: Well it is actually 74.95 plus tax unless you are driving a state vehicle then I won't charge you sales tax.

Customer: NO, that is what you are asking for it what will you sell it for.

Me: 74.95 the same price I charge everyone for that service.

Customer: Well XXXX place down the road is only asking 69.95 why shouldn't I just take my car down there.

Me: If you want to go down the road to then you are more then welcome to. We haven't started the oil change on your car yet so you can leave if you want and won't owe us anything.

Customer: Ah hell I want the oil change those XXXX down the road charge too much for it you guys are cheaper.

Me: Well sir why don't you have a seat in the lobby and I will get to work on your car.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    usedcarbuyerusedcarbuyer Member Posts: 2
    Basscadet--THANKS so much! Your input gave me peice of mind. I actually did buy the car today. Paid the asking price (which was fair--approx 3K below KBB--listed as one of their "last chance cars" which had been on the lot approx 100 days). I did have them instead of adjusting price perform the 30K service--fill it up--new car mats--extra key...etc (little items) and I felt as good as I could about having to purchase a new car. I bought a Toyota--so passed on the service plan, which I hope will be the right move. My old car was a Volvo--so I got killed (not too bad bc I did have a warranty). Needless to say...the mistakes I made in the past have led me to the extensive research this time.
    Thanks again for your help!!

I agree with you british rover. With that being said, I normally am not one who bargains everything. However, it seemed fundamentally wrong NOT to deal with a car dealership. Almost strange, really. And this is only my second run at it. However, I did get burned a tad on my last deal......Heres to hoping this one is a lot better!!!!!!!
  • Options
    windycity2windycity2 Member Posts: 17
    Last year I bought a brand new 2006 Toyota Camry from CarMax in Wisconsin(Yes carmax in wisconsin do seel new cars) at a very good unbelievable price.

But I noticed following strange things :
    i) I understand that when you buy a new car salesman is support to explain you all the functions of the car. But he didn't do it he just handed over the keys.
    ii) At that time salesman said he will call me in a week to findaout my experiences but so far no call(even after 4 months)
    iii) There is no communication from Toyota at all. No welcome leetter no customer survey.

What do you think happened? I am suspecting if my purchase is legimitate one? How is that CarMax didn't inform Toyota about it until now?
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you got a good price, that's all that matters. You can read the owners manual to find out about the different operating systems in your car. As far as a letter from Toyota, I purchased a new 4Runner from one of the largest Toyota dealers in Southern California and never received any "welcome letter" from Toyota. And to be perfectly honest, I don't need another piece of junk mail in my mailbox, I get enough. If you purchased the car new, and it was registered correctly, that's all you need to get the warranty.
    Best of luck with your new car!
  • Options
    horkycajhorkycaj Member Posts: 3
    I have been to Car Max a few times here in Las Vegas. I ended up selling 2 cars I no longer needed it was simple, quick, and painless. I have never bough a car from them. I am planning on getting a new van at the end of the month. I am going to take my old car to Car Max and see what they will give me for it. You get a nice report with the offer to buy your car valid for 7 days or 300 miles. The report includes a list of features they looked at to appraise the car and the overall condition (my report listed exterior, frame, mechanical, tires, interior) In addition there was a statement on the Appraisal offer that I could get a tax savings of $495.00 if I bought a vehicle while selling the one that was appraised. Don't know if the tax savings is available in all states but good info to know for NV. The Car Max appraisal will give me a good idea of what my car (as a trade in) is really worth and any addtional tax savings. :) It will be interesting what they tell us 'cause it was appraised in July of 2005, car (body, interior etc.) is in same condition just 8 months older with 5000 more miles. In July the Car Max offer was exactly the same amount that we paid for our car. I just hope that the value didn't drop too much in the last few months! I think this written appraisal will be invaluable when I go shopping for a new van at the end of the month. At least I will have a Car Max back up offer if the dealer won't give me a fair price on my trade.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Carmax is like a red-headed step child when it comes to buying new cars from them. Sure, you get an awesome price but no service. Just wait until you need to have something on your Camry explained. Don't be looking for your sales person to help you there as they don't even participate in ride and drives or factory trips.
    :(
    Mackabee
  • Options
    rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    The cars that the BMW dealer didn't want to bid on.
  • Options
    First of all, your salesperson did not follow the carmax process. After you agree to purchase the car but before you sign paperwork you were to go back out to the car to make sure all the buttons and switches work. Did your salesperson not do this with you?

It is also the Carmax "way" to have a salesperson send a thank you card as well as give you a business card in case you have any questions about your purchase. But the saleperson is not forced by carmax or Toyota to make a "check-up" call. Personally, I never made these phone calls myself. After my customer had bought a car I told them to simply call me on my cell phone if there were any issues. When they did call me (rarely) I would just switch them over to Service.

Finally, what do I think happened? Do you want my honest answer? I don't think anything happened that was too terrible. I think that perhaps you are a demanding customer who wants Premium A+ service and you might not be the kind of customer Carmax is designed for. The business model employed by Carmax is selling good cars for a good price....it's volume sales. You don't walk into WalMart and get upset when the guy who sold you your Sony 32" TV didn't show you how to work all the menus, do you? It's no different from Carmax.

You received a poor salesperson but I have the idea that you might not still be happy with your service even if he had followed the correct procedures.
  • Options
    Why did you take your car in to get an appraisal last time and not accept their offer, especially if you seem happy with it?

You took up 30-45 minutes of a salesperson's time and he got nothing for it. If you do go back, at least ask for the same salesperson if you are seriously considering selling it this time. And I can promise you that you will most definitely see a drop in the offer this time.
  • Options
    horkycajhorkycaj Member Posts: 3
    I think I want to clarify a bit . I have sold 2 cars in the past at Car Max prior too the one I had appraised last summer. (Actually a co worker ended up buying a car I sold to Car Max. So strange to pull into the parking lot and see my old car!) I have used the same salesperson each time I have been there. She has always been straight forward and honest. I love the no pressure sales.

When I got our car appraised last summer we were planning on trading it in for a van we liked. We had just purchased a 05 Focus (used) about 3 months prior. I was prego and found a van on the lot we liked. We thought a van would be more practical after trying to squeeze a rear facing car seat in our Focus . We had our car appraised to see what we would get on a trade to figure out how much we would be spending. The value for our trade was exactly what we paid for the car. After mulling it over we decided to wait. Believe it or not our saleswoman said that we should probably wait too. She said our needs might be different after the baby came and we might want different features in a van. Even though we really wanted the van we decided to wait to see what our $$$ situation was like after the baby came. In retrospect I am glad that I didn't buy last summer beacuse our needs did change as well as our price range (up by $10,000). I realize now how handy the auto doors are and fold in floor seats are. I also realize that we need a van that will seat 8 not 7. Now that our little one is over 6 months old now and has out grown his infant carrier car seat we need a van that we can get him in and out of much easier. That is why we are in the market for a van now.

I have every intention of selling my car at Car Max if the dealer won't come close to what they are offering. In NV you get a Trade in Sales tax credit if you trade in a car and buy one at the same time (I believe it works out to 5.5%). I could save around $400-$500 in taxes if the dealer takes the trade at the same time I buy. I look at it it this way. If the dealer offers me the same price as Car Max I am ahead the sales tax credit and trade it in to the dealer. If a dealer offers me $500 less for my trade Car Max and the dealer are even. If the dealer offers me a low ball price and won't budge guess who I sell the car to ---Car max.

Most people on these boards would never buy a car without doing research and contacting a few dealerships to see what the lowest price available is. I just think of this as reverse car shopping. I have used KBB and Edmunds to calculate trade in value (the two differ by almost $1000). Car Max makes me an offer on my car based on the market and condition. I have read many times on these boards that KBB is just a book and isn’t buying your car. With Car Max I have a written offer to buy my car for X dollars regardless if I buy a car from them. In the end I will take my car where I will get the most for it just like I will buy a new van where I can get the best price.

I have sold previous cars at Car Max so I don't have to hassle with selling our car. I don't believe I am wasting their time. Car Max offers the service and gives you time (7 days or 300 miles) to decide to sell (with no pressure!). As far as the value of my car... I also expect to see a drop in the price over time. I just think it will be interesting to see how much it has depreciated since July.
  • Options
    johninmdjohninmd Member Posts: 2
    I am a Carmax sales consultant, and on behalf of all the good consultants in our company, I apologize for your treatment. We have a delivery checklist in place that the consultant is to follow which covers all the controls in the car. Toyota also holds us to their certification and delivery standards. Your sales consultant did about everything wrong by our standards. He should have called within 72 hours, and sent out a followup letter on day 4. He also should have called and sent a second letter out about 28-30 days after the sale (whether a used or new car). I can't speak for the Kenosha store, but our Toyota dealership in Laurel, Md. is the 2nd to 3rd largest selling Toyota dealership in the U.S. and has received numerous recognitions from Toyota. Again, I apologize, and assure you this is not the typical CarMax service.
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... >>> **After mulling it over we decided to wait. Believe it or not our saleswoman said that we should probably wait too. She said our needs might be different after the baby came and we might want different features in a van. Even though we really wanted the van we decided to wait to see what our $$$ situation was like after the baby came. In retrospect I am glad that I didn't buy last summer because our needs did change as well ....**
    ===================

That was "excellent" advise from your salesperson ... most would have gone to the next dealership and bought anyway .... you have no idea how many people do, then are back in the stores 10/12 months later trying to get that "right" vehicle ..... too late.!

Terry.
  • Options
    drh100drh100 Member Posts: 2
    After having moved to a new area and taking a job I hate I find myself considering a career at Carmax. What are your thoughts on working there? I've been in the car business all my life and am interested in what you think of Carmax compared to traditional dealerships.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    Try selling at a real dealership. Carmax is just volume and selling a payment, there is no real selling there besides add-ons.

Put on a suit, go interview at a Honda or Toyota dealership (The only makes that are worth their name anymore) and choose the one that you feel the best and fits your personality.

Be a real salesperson. Why sell 20 minis a month just to make 2-3 grand?? Why not sell 20 cars and make 10-15 grand!!!!
  • Options
    If you wanna go for the volume then I would go for honda/toyota but if you are more comfortable spending more quality time with people go highline.

The volume is not there so you will have less sales but the gross per sale is much more. You meet some really interesting people too.
  • Options
    I would guess that most highline dealerships would not hire an inexperienced auto salesperson whereas Carmax and some Toyota/Honda dealers would.

I have no doubt that if you're going to be in car sales as a career, highline is the place to be.

When I was with Toyota, our F&I guy told us he once sold a Porsche Carerra GT (very expensive and rare car) to a local sports celebrity. Porsche also gave the lucky sales person who sold the car this fancy wooden commermative box that had the car's serial # etched into it with real gold lining. He showed all of us the box. He sold it to Johnny Damon. He wouldn't tell us exactly what his commission was for the sale but he said it was several thousand dollars. For one car!
  • Options
    .. **I've been in the car business all my life and am interested in what you think of Carmax compared to traditional dealerships....**

If you've been in the business all your life and had success .. then you'd know that Carmax would be quite a cut in pay .... I would look elsewhere ..

Terry.
  • Options
    golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I have sinned against you *sob*

Yes, I am a carmax abuser. I put the same research into my trade-in as I do my purchase.

I always review the auto sale websites and try and find my exact car and mileage and see what "people" are asking, I used edmunds TMV, then I will get a quote from the great and honorable Terry over at the RWTIV board.

With this I will hit at least two shops which advertise they buy cars. Carmax is always one of them. My experience is Carmax will not give you the highest price but their price is not ridicously low either. I really thinks it is a "fair" price for people who do not want to sell a car on their own.

In Chicago you can pay sales tax anywhere from 7.75% to 9.00% and we are only one of two states that taxes the SALES price of a leased vehicle.

So we are talking serious sales tax dollars savings on a trade in. The way I look at it, Carmax advertises this service so I don't feel guilty waisting a salemans time. But I usually go to Carmax late on a dead weaknight, just so I am not undercutting someone either.

When I traded in my 2000 Odyssey, for a 2003 Odyssey the Honda dealer was ridicously low. I mean $2,000 less than were carmax was.

We argued and argued i even pulled out CarMax's valid offer and another shop who was in the middle but closer to CarMax. Well, the salesmanager says just go to Carmax then, rather smugly.

So I said fine, but I can't guarantee I will be back, since I am here alone and I have no idea if wife can get a sitter to bring me back. SM offered to send greenpea to pick me up. So, I said don't bother I am gonna call so-so Honda which is about 2 miles from Carmax and see if I can work out a deal with them while I wait for carmax to do the paper work. If it doesnt work out Ill call you.

Well, that the magic words and we eventaully agreed we would equalize the sales tax and I would get about $100 more. I would have just left, but fact was my lease was already up on the 2000 Ody, and back then the '03 Ody's were hard to find.

Then last month, when I was doing this for other Car, met a nice oldtimer and we chatted and I was literraly the ONLY customer in the place. We had fun driving cars while we waited, In fact it was the first time I got behind the wheel of a Range Rover and I even pulled over to let the guy drive it for awhile, since he never had a chance to either.

So carmax offers me $6,500 for my olds with 70K miles on it and it was tired. It was actually on the high end of RWTIV amount. So, when I was at the dealer for my new car (Honda Pilot) I offered to trade it, but said CarMax was giving me $7,500 and I have the paperwork here (ok- so I embellished) so dont come back with anything less.

Well, they came back and said $7,500 - note to self never offer your price first - I am sure I left money on the table..but hey, I just made $1,000 plus another $581 on the trade in credit.

Bottom line, did I use CarMax. No, had I not been able to get a comprable amount from the new car dealer I would have went back and sold the car for them. The carmax prices is good for 7 days 300miles. This is not "noodle-it" time. This is Carmax saying, shop it and if you can do better- god bless you.
  • Options
    Actually our dealership prefers to hire people with little if any auto sales experience since they probably don't have any bad habits yet. Our store does not opperate like most other dealerships so someone with a lot of experience at say a volume store just would be lost here. And bored oh yes very bored.
  • Options
    How does Carmax compare with Saturn? Both are built on the same sales model correct?
  • Options
    "So carmax offers me $6,500 for my olds with 70K miles on it and it was tired. It was actually on the high end of RWTIV amount. So, when I was at the dealer for my new car (Honda Pilot) I offered to trade it, but said CarMax was giving me $7,500 and I have the paperwork here (ok- so I embellished) so dont come back with anything less."

Another liar.
  • Options
    Well:

1. The the saleman whips out his book and tells me that his cost in the mudguards and wheel locks are $300, why won't I let him make a profit and buy them for $350.

We don't need to get into what they really cost.

2. When they tell me that the absolute best money factor is 0.002 (approx 5%) and act surprised that Honda has a 0.00094 (approx 2.256%) support on Pilots - then counter with they think this is only an East Coast thing.

Say, what you want thebill - but people who jump to conclusions often find there is no firm ground to land on.

I don't fault any dealership for maximizing their profits, but knowledge is power, and if they wanted to play the lets lie game, then don't point fingers at me for trying to maximize my profits under the same tactics they are using.
  • Options
    That is an unfair example.

All you had to do was show the Carmax offer and tell them to match it to earn your business. Instead you lied and told them something else.

I could say that if I were at a department store and had jeans on sale for 75% off but I raised the price before the sale to lessen the blow.

Just robbing peter to pay paul.

The point is, you intentionaly lied.

I have NEVER played with a money factor. The system that we use will not allow it, the payments are what they are. I dont know what system they used, however, I couldnt trust you even if you told me.
  • Options
    ok thebill, so what you are saying it is ok for the dealer to stretch the truth and tell me somthing that is not accurate to make money.

But if the buyer does the same, we are liars and no good? We are evil.

Bottom line here is thebill they tried to get more and couldnt and eventually offered me the terms I wanted based on my research.

Second, I will bet dollars to donuts if they didn't think the car was worth that they wouldn't have done me any favors.

But I guess according you thebill, next time I should let the dealer stretch the truth and maximize thier profits and sit there with my jesus hat on *eyeroll*

Godspeed buddy.
  • Options
    I didnt say that they were not in the wrong. What I meant was you were just perpetuating the cycle of deceit by lying. Why should they shoot you straight if you didnt?

I actually have a friend that works at a Carmax in the used car buying department and he knows every quote given. I have actually called him to verify quotes and he can fax me a copy. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY LIES I CATCH?!

Our reputation for good has been earned.

Again, I wasnt justifying what they did, however, most times the money factor can not be changed, but if they had you caught, why not try???
  • Options
    I would go along with you thebill. But let me clarify who did what first.

But the trade-in was not even brought up until the deal was done and I was waiting for the car to be prep'd. I was going to mention it earlier but we got into the wheellock thing pretty deep and then I was hit with the whole money factor thing.

In fact, to show that I am not the brightest I didn't want to put any money down on the lease, and did not want to complicate the deal with a trade in.

I even brought a friend to drive my car over to carmax after the deal. But since I had nothing but time to kill, I said are you interested in my old car?

And after ALL i went through, I played my own game. I can accept the add-ons game, but the leasing stuff, was just bush league. As far as price, Carmax was just an offer anyway, and I thought adding $1,000 was so outlandish they would say no. The fact they took it either tells me, they didnt check like you said, or found the car worth it.

To be honest, I regret this part, because I should have seen what they came back with first. *shrugs*

I will agree 110% with you thebill - had I thrown this "tactic" out in the beginning, I deserved everything I got.
  • Options
    I wasnt there so I can not definitely say what was what, however, it resembles "parachuteing" a trade in. It means a customer convienently drops in a trade after everything else was agreed to.

If it were my deal, I wouldve known early on if there were a trade in. And if someone "parachutes" a trade on me, I actually tell them to take it to Carmax or sell it themselves if they dont like our appraisal.
  • Options
    It means a customer convienently drops in a trade after everything else was agreed to.

This did not happen in my case, but I would like you to elaborate?

You are obviously upset about this? Is this because, now you lost a negotiation edge? Do you like to confuse the buyer with overvalueing the trade to make them happy and then get it back on the purchase?

I am just curious, why does it matter when the trade was introduced? To me, you can tell the buyer "at any point" to take his car elsewhere, why is this some unethical tactic to "parachute" as you say at the end of the deal?
  • Options
    Not really unethical. I dont really get upset either.

When a trade is involved in the deal, it doesnt really matter how you juggle the price of the vehicle and the trade in, the difference between the two is what really matters.

10,000 9,000
    - 2,000 -1,000
    ________ _______
    8,000 8,000

No matter how you juggle, the difference is the key.

If we agree to a 8,000 difference plus TTL, then thats all there is and the payments fall where they may.

If we just talk about price and agree on 9,000 and then a customer floats in a trade and wants 2,000 for a 1,000 car, then the difference and get screwed up. If the car is only worth 1,000 and you want 2,000, then that grand could come from the profits (hence, over-allowance). I could "show" 2,000 for a 1,000 car if I had a 1,000 dollars profit. However, if we whittle down to no profit on the car and then float in a trade, I can not over-allow anymore money for it. Thats why I suggest them taking the vehicle to Carmax or selling it themselves, so I can keep my profit, if any.

I always explain the "difference" principal whenever I work a deal. I do this b/c I always find out if a trade is involved early on. I never try to confuse the customer, if I do that, then I risk a greater chance for buyers remorse and a poor Customer Service Survey and no referrals or repeat business.

I have had customers try to keep is a secret, but i dont do business like that. Those customers are usually just trying to keep their local dealer honest anyway.

In summary, I deal in fact, so why shouldnt the customer? Buying a car isnt personal, its just business. If we dont agree on figures, then we will just shake hands and part as friends, just as we met.
  • Options
    jiazzijiazzi Member Posts: 3
    I'm just curious if anyone has actually bought their car online through Fitzmall and if so, what was your experience like?

Good? Bad? Ugly?
  • Options
    I'd rather sell carpet than Saturns. The carpet will last longer.
  • Options
    kapbotkapbot Member Posts: 113
    **I'd rather sell carpet than Saturns. The carpet will last longer.**

My mother has a '94 Saturn SL1. 95K miles, almost all trips of less than 3 miles. So far, 8 tires, 3 batteries, an alternator and a brake job on top of normal maintenance. I hate the car, but it just wont die...that said, she definitely has carpet older than that!
    As for Carmax, I'll gladly "waste" a salesperson's time & get a quote before I trade my truck in.
    My 2 pennies. (I just noticed there's no "cent" on my keyboard)
  • Options
    rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 1
    Not sure about other Carmax locations but I would urge anyone looking to buy from the one in White Marsh Maryland to pass. My co-worker and I have been having an ongoing discussion (continued today) about his horrible experience with Carmax. One issue was the fact that his car had to be sent to the dealer for repair and then it taking three weeks (after the repair work) just to get a status of the work, which by the way he ended up calling the dealer himself and in 5 minutes found out what the hold up was (Carmax and the dealer fighting over who was going to pay for the defect). Carmax kept telling him they were waiting to hear from the dealer for three weeks.

When he finally got his car back after almost two months, it was filthy (dirt, bird poop), three of the four things he took it in to get repaired never got repaired after he was told they would fix it (it was clearly listed on the repair list). The rental Carmax gave him had faulty brakes which almost resulted in him having an accident.

A previous issue that he took his car in to get reapired took them twice to do it right. He had a piece of trim that kept coming off, you could snap it back on but it would fall off again in days. He told them about the issue and how it wouldn't stay on for more than a few days at a time and all they did the first time he took it in for repair was snap it back on as he had been doing. So needless to say he had to take it back again and insist they fix it right. This time they did.

They have a general lackluster attitude towards the customer, no real concern is shown for the customer or any issues they have with the company. It has gotten to the point that he is typing up a complaint letter and mailing it to Carmax's corporate offices, not sure how much good it will do.

I urged him to go to BadBusinessBureau.com and file a report of which there are numerous already filed against this particular Carmax location.

So, as I stated, not sure about other Carmax locations but I would avoid this particular one. I in fact will never deal with carmax based on this, nor would I recommend them to anyone else. Neither will this person. If there is one bad location I got to believe there are more.
    :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    Actgually I got a thousand more quoted on my 02 Acura TL at the dealership. Carmax-1100 Dealership-1200
    Carmax is still a good place to by your car.
  • Options
    syzygy00syzygy00 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

If it helps, just wanted to share my experience buying a car at carmax -- I found this web site incredibly helpful, so just wanted to contribute.

I bought a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta stationwagon at the carmax in Raleigh North Carolina on March 29, 2006. I think for every dealership/brand, etc., my experience is it all depends on the particular dealership and the particular person you deal with.

So for this particular place in Raleigh, I started with one salesperson, who just didn't seem to be straightforward, so I came back to talk to someone else. He was great and I stuck with him through the rest of my experiences at the carmax. Basically, he wasn't pushing or asking questions, just patiently answered all of mine. I only saw him on three different occasions (including the day I bought the car), but I got the sense that I could have come back several times, that he wasn't in a hurry to sell me the car. I think that strategy seem to work well for him.

I was concerned that carmax seems to sell so many cars with very little mileage. Mine had only 12,600 miles and I'd heard that Volkswagens could be great or could come with lots of problems, so I was very suspicious. So I used the VIN number and called the two local Volkswagen dealerships and talked to their service departments (after several attempts at calling them) and they pulled up the Vin numbers to give me the history of the car -- the previous owner was a female, and there had been no major repairs or problems. One of them was able to tell me the date the car was bought and that it was bought at that dealership. Still not a guarantee, but it made me feel better. I also learned by reading the great forums here that Volkswagen has been manufacturing its cars in Mexico and also having lots of mechanical issues for its recent models, but that the station wagons were still made in Germany.

Price -- I also heard that carmax tends to sell cars at a higher price compared to other parties. I don't know if it was the time of year (last week of financial quarter and end of the month) but I got a really good deal -- around $1600 below Kelley blue book.

Carmax has a five-day no questions asked return policy, so within that time frame, I took the car to get a checkup with a mechanic that works on Volkswagens.

THE DISAPPOINTMENT -- but not surprising, don't trust their warranties. They have a 30-day warranty and my experience taking the car in for a minor problem (which I knew about when I was buying the car) was that first they said it wasn't covered, then they agreed to take care of it, then they told me the car was ready, then I went to pick it up, then I very clearly obviously (any idiot could see it) saw that they hadn't done any work on the car, then they told me they would fix it (again) so then I came back the next day and saw that they had mostly fixed it, but not completely, but I was tired of dealing with them. So I just took the car and left.

BIGGER DISAPPOINTMENT -- they drill holes (!) (FOUR OF THEM) in the bumper of the car to attach their stupid carmax advertising plate. It just seems like an idiotic thing to do to a car but I guess their reasoning is, it's not always going to be their car.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the experience buying the car at carmax (taking the realistic view that it's never going to be a problem-free experience) -- it's a really beautiful car and at least for now, looks to be in good mechanical order.

Best of luck to you all!
    Janice
  • Options
    slightboslightbo Member Posts: 15
    Had our first experience with Carmax, and we were NOT impressed. Trying to sell our 04 Saab 9-3 Convertible with super low miles, 16K and in excellent condition, no body damage, mechanical, interior is perfect, etc.

Kelly Blue book (which their site told us to look at) "Good" was $27,500 and excellent was $29,000. Carmax's sales associate that was assigned to us told us in the beginning that it would be between good and excellent, but when the appraisal came back (after two hours of waiting in the Walmart/Ikea type atmosphere) they offered us $26,000!! They have three other similar cars they are selling for 31K (2) and 32K (1), meaning they would make a huge profit on our car. I wouldn't call this offer fair, fair would have been "Good" Kelly Blue Book, $27,500. Oh well! Just thought I would share, I suppose it is a good deal if you are in a real pinch and don't mind eating thousands of dollars.
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Considering that Saabs depreciate almost as well as Kias and are generally unreliable (both the Saabs in my fleet are heading off to the auction this summer), I do not think that the offer is all that unreasonable. BTW, is the model an ARC or an AERO? If it the former, their purchase price is pretty close to the Black Book.

Carmax pretty consistently buys cars at the Black Book wholesale AVERAGE price and sells it at retail ... pretty much like ANY dealership.

I have never recommended that anyone BUY at Carmax. On MOST cars, they are about $1000-1500 higher than at a traditional dealership. However, people are convinced that they get a better deal at a "no haggle" price.
  • Options
    jpmistjpmist Member Posts: 14
    The offer I got on my Acura was $22K, the car I want to buy cost me $450 to ship to my local CarMax and sells for $21. I walk in with my Acura and walk out with the other car and a check for $1K? Seems really too good to be true.

The 22K offer will expire two weeks before the CarMax car I want to buy arrives. What are the chances CarMax will drop their 22K offer on my car? Can they credibly argue that my trade-in depreciated 1K in two weeks? If they try it what are my options?
  • Options
    ... **they offered us $26,000!! They have three other similar cars they are selling for 31K (2) and 32K ....**

Aaaaah, those famous last words .. "selling" ....

There is 3 prices when you go to sell anything ..

1.) "asking"

2.) "liking"

3.) "taking"

Like Jlawrence01 mentioned .. Saabs aren't known for their "stellar" trade or reliability factor .... and $26 is aaaaaall the $$ for it come trade side (that's about auction money) .. if it had some miles and needed some stuff, you'd be staring down the barrel of $23 (or less) because KBB doesn't buy cars .. they can only give you a "ballpark", a zipcode, and idea of the value ...

As far as the $32 "asking" price, they would drop kick this dude off the lot for $29 on a cold and rainy day ..

That said, you also have the option to go down Retail Rd for $31,900 "asking" .. maybe see $30,500 "liking" .. and on a cold and rainy day, get that $29 "taking" figure --- this ain't no Rolex .l.o.l...

Now it seems a little clearer, right...?

Terry ;)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Terry, I'm glad you're back and I agree with you completly.

Saabs have horrible resale values and they never bring what the books say. As used cars, people are afraid of them and for good reason!
  • Options
    superstevo415superstevo415 Member Posts: 20
    unless you wreck your vehicle or something unforseen happens to it, Carmax should validate the offer once your transfer arrives. It is not your fault that the vehicle that you are transferring is not in the store that you are working withs inventory. According to the system they will technically have to "reappraise" but the offer should remain the same. which CarMax location are you currently dealing with?
  • Options
    unless you wreck your vehicle or something unforseen happens to it, Carmax should validate the offer once your transfer arrives. It is not your fault that the vehicle that you are transferring is not in the store that you are working withs inventory. According to the system they will technically have to "reappraise" but the offer should remain the same.

Perhaps, but I can hear it now, "we're sorry, but the auction market has been pretty soft for your car and at other dealers they're having to mark them down, so we can't stay with that price (take it or walk, sucker). . ."
  • Options
    apsosapsos Member Posts: 12
    I made my third Carmax purchase on Saturday. I'd enjoyed my last two experiences, and though I realized I'd probably pay a little more for a car there, I thought that they'd give me the best value they could swing, for a well-inspected and reconditioned car, with the opportunity to get a service contract on it.

Now I like to haggle whenever I buy something, but I figured that the deal here was that I'd get a fair, "no haggle" price, and that they wouldn't budge because it was a fair and reasonable deal for each vehicle.

THEY SURE FOOLED ME!

In April I saw a car I liked on the Carmax website for $10,998 at the Charlotte NC store, and I didn't act quickly, and on April 5th, it was sold to someone in Charlotte NC.

The buyer kept it for 20 days, slightly abused it, put another 1,000 miles on it, and then traded it back to Carmax on April 25th in Winston-Salem NC.

The car then made its way to Greensboro NC, where they did not do a complete "reconditioning" but RAISED THE PRICE to $11,599!

The best-deal-lowest-possible-price, was now $601 MORE than they had it priced, one owner, a month and many miles before!

I discovered this after I had bought the car, and checked my records and discovered that it was the same car that they had sold for $601 less.

The Charlotte store and Greensboro stores both confirmed it was the identical car by VIN.

I spoke to managers at the Greensboro store, and two "customer support" people at "Corporate" and they told me, "we don't care that you've bought 3 Carmax cars from us, an extended warranty, and that you traded your vehicle in to us. Your only option is to turn in the car if you don't want it. We will not give you the original 'no haggle' price! The new 'no haggle' price is $601 more!"

So I learned rather harshly, that the "no haggle" price is not a fair price set by Carmax for the value of a particular car. It's a scam.

It's NOT the lowest price, it's completely flexible, and it depends on how big a sucker they get through the door. And IF you point it out, they'll do a 180 on the "no haggle" philosophy and tell you that the price is plenty flexible because it's not actually based on the value of the car.
  • Options
    lol, im new to these boards here. been reading forever but your reply yesterday was my first post. lucky you huh? though it would be funny to think about a take it or leave it stance i find it unlikely. they know that you are shipping a vehicle from one location to the next with the intentions of purchasing. i know it all sounds too good to be true but i think you will be pleased honestly. i bought my truck from Carmax, my sister bought one here, my fiance's monther, my fiance's aunt, my best friend, the list goes for a little while lol. when is your new vehicle scheduled to be here? what kinda vehicle are you looking at?
  • Options
    what kind of vehicle was this that you purchased? how do you know that the slightly abused wasn't a thoroughly abused and wasn't reconditioned? like i posted earlier i am new to the forums here and am in no way trying to be confrontational. im just trying to understand. and as far as corporate saying that "they dont care that you have bought three vehicles." did the corporate office literally say these words to you or was it more of your interpretation of the situation that was worsened due to your frustration? I have had great car buying experiences with our local carmax like i said im just trying to get some insight. What kind of vehicle (yr, make model) was this again?
  • Options
    Am I being too cynical? -grin- Perhaps, but my few experiences buying a car haven't been pretty.

It's just that I'm real vulnerable here on CarMax re-appraising my trade-in at the same price they gave me when I wrote the $450 shipping check for the one I want to buy.

For what it's worth, will keep y'all posted on how it turns out. . .
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Carmax just opened their first store in our region so I'm getting some direct competition from them....so far they have helped me put deals together. We drove over two customer trades and they put goofy money of them. Both cars had lots of issues they complete missed. They also have a high end sports car in the local mall advertising their new store...oddly enough the car has had body work and the paint work looks like it was done by Stevie Wonder.

I'm thrilled they are in town....they do alot of advertising and charge big prices.